Department of Veterans Affairs

Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive and nice workplace.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Long Beach, CAOctober 10, 2014
Pros: there are opportunities to grow.
It was a supportive environment. In addition, it had some nice educational opportunities.
I enjoyed working with the Veterans Administration. I was promoted and given opportunities for advancement.
Dietitian (Former Employee), Long Beach, CAOctober 9, 2014
Pros: excellent benefits and retirement package.
My career started with my dietetic internship with the Veterans Administration. I was offered opportunities to leave the VA but decided this was the place I wanted to work and therefore retired from the VA in 1996.
Hospital setting
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee), Augusta, GAOctober 9, 2014
Pros: new parking deck proposed for 2015.
Cons: short breaks and hard to get lunch relief. parking is tight.
Good place to meet and grow with veterans and volunteers. Excellent retail store, good cafeteria. Walking trail indoors and out.
Two convenient locations. Heavy traffic.
Supply Technician (Former Employee), El Paso, TXOctober 8, 2014
Pros: all holidays off and payed for
Cons: poor advancement
8 to 5, Monday to Friday, Customer service to all veterans. The hardest part of the job was facing and helping veterans that where upset due to their poor treatment. Really enjoyed working there.
private duty for vet
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee), Manchester, NHOctober 7, 2014
Pros: learning expierence
Cons: not enough sleep
loved the job
hardest part was only sleeping 3-4 hrs before turning pt again
My day at VA
Transportation Specialist (Current Employee), Washington DCOctober 7, 2014
Transport high level VA officals to and from there meeting through out the city and sometimes outside of the city limits.
I love working with the patient and vendors and other departments
Purchasing Agent, Duties With 23 credit cards (Former Employee), ProsthetisOctober 1, 2014
Pros: live life to help some one
I was a blessing being able to help people get the medical items that others had overlooked and to help them live a better quality of life.
Being able to help my coworkers to with work out complicated situations to balance each person financial budget that was assign to them, Being able to work with management to help make each program work more efficiently – more... and effective.
I enjoy organizing little times to share a meal to talk over how we all can work together.
N/A Make each day the best possible – less
It was a privilege to serve our Veterans
Veterans Claims Examiner GS-996 (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOSeptember 30, 2014
Pros: serving our veterans
Cons: that it was a contract position & ended due to lack of funding
• Exercise sound equitable judgment in applying stated laws, regulations, policies, and procedures to ensure accurate and timely decisions on Education benefit claims administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs.
• Processing education claims for Chapter 30, 33, 32, 35, 1606 and 1607.
• Examining and determining original and supplemental claims.
 – more... Training on LMS, WEAMS, BDN, VIS, VID, PCGL, TIMS, PIES and other applications.
• Area’s of service, Eastern Region – Buffalo RPO 307, Southern Region – Atlanta RPO 316, Central Region – St Louis RPO 331 and Western Region – Muskogee RPO 351.
• Functions as a team member to enhance resolution of claims and customer service contacts by work actions. Maintain professional, positive, and helpful relationships with customers by exercising tact, diplomacy, and cooperation. – less
Dedication to those that served
Police Dispatcher (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNSeptember 29, 2014
Pros: the veterans
The best part of this company is serving all the people that have ensured out ability to maintain a free and prosperous life.
Very high stress
Computer Support Specialist (Former Employee), Sturgis, SDSeptember 27, 2014
Very high stress with no mid-management support. Not enough workers for all the work.
Rewarding experience, great teamwork with coworkers
Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) (Current Employee), Sheridan, WYSeptember 27, 2014
Pros: three day weekends/furthering education
Cons: only 30 hours per week
Everyday at work is a new challenge. You never know who is going to walk through the door. We serve hundreds of Veterans from all over the world both men and women of all ages. My co-workers make ore job new and exciting daily. The hardest part of the job is time management, trying to multi-task 4-5 things at once. The most enjoyable is helping people – more... and giving back to our community. – less
Rewarding experience, great teamwork with coworkers
Pros: three day weekends/furthering education
Cons: only 30 hours per week
Cooking at the VA is a health risk
Food Services (Former Employee), san francisco, caSeptember 27, 2014
Pros: nothing
Cons: being able to help fellow veterans
Sr. Co-workers treat new people like dirty. Saw a lot of stealing but non cares. Some people are furnishing their apartment with towels, soap etc. and they are not even VETS. Witnessed racism and had to report it to MGMT because everyone else felt ok with the written remarks in the locker room, The V does not high female cooks, per a mgr. Sanitation-nonexistent. – more... Witnessed Mgrs. treating people with little or no respect, this was through out MGMT.

Not a happy place to work, VERY Unhappy, mean people! As a vet I appalled and very disappointed in the manner in which the kitchen as a whole is ran. As a Tax pay the WASTED $$$ – less
A medium volume lab with a easy atmosphere. Good Peolple at all levels.
HISTOPATHOLOGY TECHNICIAN (Former Employee), Salem, VASeptember 26, 2014
Pros: flexible schedules, nice people
Cons: wasn't were i wanted to live.
Overall a good place to work, in a not so great place to live. This was a medium volume lab with great people at all levels. The lab was professional and amazingly spacious. a typical day involved the typical histology work flow. There were no "hardest" or "most enjoyable" parts, as this was a smooth operating and enjoyable place everyday.
Nice Place to work
Telecommunications Technician (Current Employee), Dallas, TXSeptember 22, 2014
Pros: noe
typical work day is very busy. I enjoying working with the Officers.
Best Work Enviroment
Physician (Former Employee), Iowa CitySeptember 21, 2014
I have worked as a physician in a number of settings, and have to rate my experience at the VA as one of the best.

My team are all still good friends.

The patients are great, living history each day.

Yet the real payback is in what you can do for these guys.

Once you establish a good relationship, one of trust and mutual respect, you can see real – more... improvements in your patient panel.

The EHR allows you to search your patient panel and pull up patients with high A1C's, or high blood pressures, etc and arrange for close follow up.

Yet it is a government agency,hence there is red tape, not something I enjoyed, still I had a great case manager who helped me navigate the system.

I would go back to the VA in a heart beat. – less
Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee), Richmond, VASeptember 19, 2014
Helping Vets who came before me. Good place to work. Rewarding.
Excellent work environment
Police Officer (Former Employee), Northampton, MASeptember 18, 2014
Pros: excellent law enforcement training
Cons: experiencing veterans returning from combat
Working with veterans on a daily basis was the most enjoyable. Learning patience and how to be fair bur firm. Excellent management team with great co-workers who worked as a strong team.
Security Assistant Human Resources
Human Resources Security Assistant (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CASeptember 18, 2014
Pros: government job
Cons: the drive to west la
The typical day at work was busy and very fast paced. A daily day can begin slow, but as the day proceeds it can only get busier. I learned that patience is truly a virtue and that you have to be able to communicate on a professional level regardless the circumstances.

My management team was good. My supervisor was exceptional and I enjoyed working – more... with her. My co-workers were all prior military so it may our stories and experiences the same; one gentleman was in the Navy as myself and stationed on the same ship - It really is a small world.

The hardest part of my job here was being able to understand and satisfy irate customers. Although we were all in a professional work environment, a few personnel will push you to the limit until they get what they want.

The most enjoyable part of my job was helping out those who truly enjoyed what they were doing for the Veterans. – less
Very fun and enjoyabel place to work..
Financial Accounts Technician (Current Employee), Bonham, TXSeptember 17, 2014
Everyone is easy to get alone with and very enjoyable atmosphere. The pay and benefits are excellent..Got to meet people from different cultures..The job is easy to learn and very enjoyable.

About Department of Veterans Affairs

The United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is a government-run military veteran benefit system with Cabinet-level status. – Read more

Department of Veterans Affairs Photos