Department of Veterans Affairs Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great benefits
Program Support Assistant (Former Employee), Little Rock, ARSeptember 1, 2014
Pros: great hours
Cons: short breaks
This job provides great benefits to its employee's. You must have a flexible work schedule. It provided me with opportunities to work with other veterans and to help them achieve a greater level of health. This was a great part of job.
Department of Veterans Affairs
Medical Records Administrator (Current Employee), Palo Alto, CASeptember 1, 2014
Most enjoyable part of working for the Department of Veterans Affairs is knowing that you are helping to take care of our veterans who have sacrificed so much for our country.
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee), Erie, PAAugust 29, 2014
Management needs a little work but overall a good place to work. I made a lot of great friends where I worked and the most enjoyable part of my job was helping Veteran's.
veterans day
Hemodialysis Nurse (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOAugust 27, 2014
Pros: good team work
Cons: managers
everyday is veterans day. i enjoy taking care of the veterans, being an advocate for the veterans.
Very efficient work place that take pride in serving the nation's Veterans
Contact Representative (Current Employee), Beverly Hills, TXAugust 27, 2014
Pros: listening to some of their (veteran) experiences.
Cons: the angry veteran that feels he has not been serviced as he should have been.
Typical day would consist of answering phones, ensuring training was done, routing calls to the proper department,answering non- clinical questions, and sending corresponding emails to physicians, pharmacists, and upper management.
Medical Malpractice/Health Law
Legal Extern (Former Employee), Hines, ILAugust 25, 2014
Researched and wrote legal memoranda for the Office of the General Counsel at Hines VA Hospital. Was also responsible for drafting interrogatories, answers to complaints, discovery requests, and acceptance or denial letters.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Planning and Projects Industrial Eng (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAAugust 25, 2014
Business Analysis & Management

• Analyzed and negotiated terms for the purchase and sale of services and products
• Analyzed and verified US Office of Foreign Asset Control documentation for credit letter
• Assisted in the creation of the User Handbook for Documentary Credit under UCP 600 - ICC
• Reviewed and analyzed plans to verify compliance with – more... federal regulations on exportation
• Business and government agenda analysis, assisted in performance statistical analysis to develop economic models and financial strategies for measuring performance impact
• Interacted daily with enrollment, claims, utilization/quality management, and customer service to resolve provider issues & management
• Analyzed, interpreted, and resolved claims with authorization for dividend and overpayments payments
• Managing existing revenue portfolio and growing the service portfolio with the client customer

Planning & Manufacturing

• Complete resource planning including lab & Non-lab Hour (Machinery) as per project scope using productivity, time study and line balance
• Utilized Kaizen Implementation Model, Toyota Production System and Lean Six Sigma. Responsible for projects to include orders and client delivery, enforcing deadlines and minimizing processing costs
• In-depth engineering analysis, design and application of complex working methods
• Conducted capacity analysis & Implemented new layout – less
Work hard and no play
Legal Administrative Specialist (Current Employee), Salt lake City UTAugust 20, 2014
Pros: helping veterans, employee benefits
Cons: not much team morale
A typical day at work was very productive
I learned about insurance and processing claims and worksheets
I kept to myself most of the time but had really good relationship with everyone
My job at first was hard learning something new but once I got the hang of it, I sought after advancement
I truly enjoy helping people
I love to be interactive
Fun people to work with and steady busy work flow
Hematology/Oncology Faculty (Former Employee), Augusta, GAAugust 20, 2014
Pros: opportunities to teach. no worrying about insurance issues
I enjoyed working at the VA Medical Center in Augusta, GA. I worked as a faculty in the hematology/oncology department. I enjoyed working with all the people there, participating in the tumor boards, and taking care of the patients. It was a very collaborative environment. I also worked as a teaching attending on a general internal medicine team, which – more... allowed me to indulge in my interest in teaching. – less
Department of Veterans Affairs
Administrative Officer, National Center (Current Employee), Gainesville, FlAugust 20, 2014
Pros: great benefits, good work/home balance
Cons: too many political players and manipulators.
Working for the Department of Veterans Affairs would be better if upper management and leadership weren't so concerned with metrics and cared more about who they are actually working for.
productive and well balanced company.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAAugust 19, 2014
Performed administrative clerical duties for one of many medical facilities. Assisting veterans. Helped in-home nurses and social workers organize current, former and new patient files, also combined numerous files and entered files onto spread sheets in Microsoft word and excel. Co-workers were helpful and extremly nice to work with.
Very busy days
Department Manager (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAAugust 17, 2014
Pros: helping veterans
Cons: busy days.
As a manager I enjoyed working with many hard working, with a great deal of work responsibility. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the veterans and their family members.
Overworked employees. No advancement opportunities.
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee), Dallas, TexasAugust 16, 2014
Pros: free dart train passes
Cons: work thru your breaks, short lunches, no chance for advancement within the company
The VA used to be a really good place to work but has gone downhill in recent years. Employees are extremely overworked. When people retire or quit, no one is hired to replace them. The job duties are just distributed onto other people. It is very common for one employee to actually be performing the job duties of three people. And the answer from management – more... is "just do what you can." There is no way the veterans can receive good care in this environment. A lot of the management is just young kids coming straight out of school with Masters Degrees who have no empathy for veterans. They are just looking to fatten their resumes and move on. A lot of emphasis is put on meeting numbers in certain areas & not on what is best for the veterans. The system needs a total overhaul. – less
Not much to say
Program Support Assistant (GS-06) (Current Employee), Honolulu, HIAugust 16, 2014
No much to say. Great fellow employees. Management was subpar. Pay was miniscule.
Great place for research
Researcher (Former Employee), Menlo Park, CAAugust 14, 2014
I worked in a diabetes study for two years. I learned a lot about the challenges that our Veterans go through. The VA at time was the leader in electronic medical record.
Productive fun place to work
Contract Specialist (Former Employee), Leavenworth, KSAugust 13, 2014
Your work is appreciated and you have many opportunities to advance with the Department.

If you work hard and show dedication you will advance with no problem.
Would not work here
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee), Long Beach, CAAugust 13, 2014
Pros: benefits and worklife
Cons: too many unhappy and disgruntle employee
Employees do not have the best interest of veterans and often complaining about the people they were hired to serve.
Growth
Security Analyst (Former Employee), Austin, TXAugust 12, 2014
Pros: nice people
Cons: management has favoritism
There isn't any growth with Department of Veterans Affairs.
Excellent place to work; staff helpful
Clinical Applications Coordinator (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHAugust 12, 2014
Worked here for 26 years; cross trained across many departments to build experience base, while continuing education.
Relaxed work area with lots of support
Veterans Service Volunteer (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDAugust 11, 2014
Pros: easy to adjust, days go by quickly
Cons: not much interaction with others due to cubicles
Sort and file patient medical records. Properly destroy and dispose of outdated or deceased patient records. Assist veterans with navigating the hospital campus.

About Department of Veterans Affairs

The United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is a government-run military veteran benefit system with Cabinet-level status. – Read more

Department of Veterans Affairs Photos