Department of Veterans Affairs

Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Saint John, NBApril 28, 2014
Time management, computer software, mail, medical reports, business letters
Productive, very relaxing,fun
Caregiver (Former Employee), Wainwright, ABOctober 28, 2013
Pros: doing what i enjoyed doing.
Cons: not enough of a clientele around the area to stay in that job.
Entering the Veterans home daily. A home tells me a lot about the client and their families.I worked alone so I had no co-workers doing this job.The job wasn't hard at all. And the most enjoyable part of the job was making my clients happy with what I did for them.
Excellent Workplace From a Student Perspective
Student Clerk (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 26, 2013
Pros: stable hours, good pay incentives for students, work not too difficult
Cons: interchangeability of bosses, several methods for one problem
It was a fairly typical office work setting.
You'd show up, have nice co-workers, do your work and clock out. The people are what made it a great job, for the most part it was just regular office work.
Healthy and Client Focused Work Environment
Policy Intern (Current Employee), Care Management and Social Work ServicesMarch 9, 2013
Would work for the VA again.
Very focused on improving services for vets.
Individuals who work there care about the population they serve
great work place
Patient Escort (Former Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 24, 2015
work well with others no how to take oders and follow direction,complete job request work in a safe work place
Good people but limiting
Administrative Support Assistant (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 24, 2015
Pros: job security
Cons: little impact on change
Mostly good people trying to do the right thing but it's a big ship that's hard to steer.
na
Certified Surgical Technician/Supply Techncian (Current Employee), Jackson, MSJanuary 22, 2015
A great company to work for. Great benefits and enjoyed working with fellow veterans.
Productive work place
CUSTOMER SUPPORT REPRESENATIVE (Current Employee), Camp Lejeune, NCJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: learn about the va
Cons: clients claining unearned benefits
The day is fueled with phone calls and walk ins to schedule appointments and ask questions. I learned a lot about the daily operations of the VA. The facility is managed well, very fair office manager. My co workers were outstanding and dedicated to quality customer service. The toughest part of the job was researching and providing correct information.
Benefits are worth putting up with managerial issues. Apply if you can.
Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT) (Former Employee), North Las Vegas, NVJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: benefits, good coworkers
Cons: managerial "red tape"
The VA offers the best annual and sick leave benefits around. Plus they still have retirement programs and 401(k) as well. The pay is pretty good, as well, but there is not much chance for upward mobility in the Pharmacy Technician arena. A certified technician (CPhT) will generally stay in the GS-6 pay grade throughout their career, but will receive in grade step promotions every few years. Your coworkers are usually enjoyable, but management, as in all large government operations, tends to "talk the talk, but not walk the walk" when it comes to policies and the VA's own mission statement. If you disagree with management about how their policies affect quality of care for veterans they tend to paint the individual as not a team player and not caring for veterans when nothing could be further from the truth. All in all, if you don't mind the "red tape' associated with government employment I would still recommend a career at the VA. There are good people there who care about our countries veterans and our veterans need good help.
Working in a medical institution is very stimulating as I have so many professions to meet and work with.
Secretary (Current Employee), Augusta, MEJanuary 19, 2015
I am independent on my job. I manage my own time. The hardest part of my job is helping Veterans who come to my office, the Director's suite and their anger has escalated to the point of not reasoning. However, I have resources to call on for help with their situation.
The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to help where there are problems, i.e. access, vacant positions that can not currently be filled. I have been detailed to help Mental Health Admin, Nursing Admin, and Non-VA Care consults.
Overall it wasnt a bad place. I enjoyed working with the veterans. Staffing wasnt the best.
CNA/CMA (Former Employee), Claremore, OKJanuary 19, 2015
It was alright for the most part. Always clean, everyone always treated the residents right as far as im concerned, we always got our showers, and other duties done, and our team work was great,
Re/max
Caregiver (Current Employee), Austin, TXJanuary 18, 2015
Great company to work for. Excellent people to work for an excellent work balance..
Great Workplace
Claims Processor (Current Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 18, 2015
• Analyze a number of different documents, case files, and information systems
• Research and review open claims for disable veterans that include the addition
and/ or removal of spouse’s and/ or dependents
• Handing ingoing and outgoing phone calls
• Prepare comprehensive written technical reports and present findings
Horrible place to work
CNA (Current Employee), Lake City FlJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: no 15 min breaks constantly working under staff
I'm currently a CNA and have only been employed 2 years. I look forward into going back to school for my RN. Before I got this job I prayed and prayed about getting hired at VA. But like the old saying be careful what you prat for and you most definitely have to be specific what you pray for. The floor I work on is a nursing home and it's hard work!! We are always working short and we are having to lift heavy men I'm only 31 and I have back pain all the time. I currently seeking new employment. Because mentally and physically I can't do this. The nurses are unprofessional and will not help. If a call light goes off they will turn the other way. Management is very poor out of 2 years working we are just getting a supervisor for our unit. I'm very disappointed in VA and I do not recommend ANYONE TO WORK HERE GO TO MCDONALD'S FIRST!!!
Productive workplace; puts Veterans first
Progarm Analyst (Current Employee), West Haven, CTJanuary 16, 2015
Been with the Department of Veterans Affairs over 4.5 years
Culture values Veterans
Management is flexible and understanding
Co-workers get along well
Hardest part of job is advancement
Most enjoyable part of job is satisfaction of accomplishments
Various Positions (Former Employee), Memphis, TNJanuary 15, 2015
Working for the Veterans Affairs Medical Center was an excellent place to work and develop a career with a purpose.
Productive learnign environment
Social Work Intern (Current Employee), Baltimore, MarylandJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: parking, location
The VA offers challenging and growth opportunities. As a social work intern, I am able to be in different clinics and learn many different skills. I hope to find employment within the Veterans Administration.
Participating in the recovery of substance abusers
Veterans Justice Outreach Specialist (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIJanuary 14, 2015
Meet with judiciary in getting access to eligible veterans and assist with their discharge from incarceration into the community. Perform SATP assessments and present to SATP for acceptance with their program. Once the SATP accepts referral seek admission into clean and sober housing with vocational assistance.

Met with judges and state judiciary workers to access services for veterans.

i enjoyed friendly relations with staff and community.

Being micro managed by superiors in San Francisco.

Seeing veterans succeed in their recovery.
challenging and upbeat.
Engineering Helper/Aide (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UtJanuary 14, 2015
I get to work and see what the tasks are and then plan my day accordingly to complete the tasks at hand
Secured job with little room to grow
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee), Iowa City, IAJanuary 11, 2015
Pros: 401k, health benefits, job security
Cons: advancement, job hours, management
Although the VA is a great place to work, I didn't realize until I became apart of that workforce, that it would be so hard to advance. Had I know the "political" side of this job, I do not believe I would have accepted my job offer. The people you get to care for on a daily basis is humbling and insightful. However, it is also stressful, mentally challenging with little reward. There is too much segregation and it leaves you feeling as though you can never "feel comforted".

1 2 3 4 5

About Department of Veterans Affairs

The United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is a government-run military veteran benefit system with Cabinet-level status. – Read more

Department of Veterans Affairs Photos