Department of Veterans Affairs

Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Saint John, NBApril 28, 2014
Time management, computer software, mail, medical reports, business letters
Productive, very relaxing,fun
Caregiver (Former Employee), Wainwright, ABOctober 28, 2013
Pros: doing what i enjoyed doing.
Cons: not enough of a clientele around the area to stay in that job.
Entering the Veterans home daily. A home tells me a lot about the client and their families.I worked alone so I had no co-workers doing this job.The job wasn't hard at all. And the most enjoyable part of the job was making my clients happy with what I did for them.
Excellent Workplace From a Student Perspective
Student Clerk (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 26, 2013
Pros: stable hours, good pay incentives for students, work not too difficult
Cons: interchangeability of bosses, several methods for one problem
It was a fairly typical office work setting.
You'd show up, have nice co-workers, do your work and clock out. The people are what made it a great job, for the most part it was just regular office work.
Healthy and Client Focused Work Environment
Policy Intern (Current Employee), Care Management and Social Work ServicesMarch 9, 2013
Would work for the VA again.
Very focused on improving services for vets.
Individuals who work there care about the population they serve
Mission oriented
Contract Specialist (Former Employee), Canandaigua, NYNovember 25, 2014
Pros: good work atmosphere
Cons: federal bureaucracy from washington
Good organization.
Boss 100 miles away.
Dedicated to veterans.
Professional Environment with Awesome Coworkers
Administrative Assistant (Intern) (Current Employee), Oakland, CANovember 24, 2014
Pros: flexible hours and great supervisor and staff
Cons: it's currently an intern position, not a permanent full-time position
I've learned about a great program called the "Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment" program that serves our disabled veterans. I am so grateful for this internship and how it has opened my eyes to certain resources provided by the U.S. government.
Great Company
Staff Nurse (Former Employee), Terre Haute, INNovember 24, 2014
education to vets, assisting physician with procedures, lab draws, ekg, giving the quality care that the vets deserve. calling patients and educating them over the phone as well. calling VA in Indy to schedule procedures, appointments with specialists.

Great Company
Working for my Fellow Veterans
LVN (Former Employee), Mather, CANovember 22, 2014
Pros: my military service time added to my retirement years for the va
Cons: no supervisor positions within the lvn level
Keeping the Doctors on task so the patients got seen in a timely manner, Do not get in to the group that like to be chatting when patients were waiting to be checked in. Management sometimes focused on the inappropriate areas need with the staff, with every job you have a variety of personalities your there to work and assist them too, so don't get – more... into any drama get a long with any co-work your there to do a job. Some LVN's are lazy and don't want to do direct patient care, Best part of my job is working with people I served in the Air Force with and I miss the speciality Clinic staff. – less
History
Volunteer (Former Employee), Dublin, GANovember 22, 2014
Pros: everything
Very historic, learn a lot from working with veterans. Meet several types of people from all over the country and they give you tips on how to be successful later on. Great volunteer opportunity for students and those trying to improve in their careers.
pretty good
Secretary I (Former Employee), Paramus, NJNovember 20, 2014
a typical day is just talking to customers and learning is how to sale becuase there is alot of other thing that can help you like emails that are send and lot of promotion. the hardest part is working in a walmart because sometime the manager wont work with you and can be difficult to sale if the manager is giving you a hard time
Working for the VA
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee), Bedford, MANovember 20, 2014
Pros: the veterans
Cons: no availabilty to move up
My typical day consists of scheduling appointments for veterans, receiving faxes, data base management and answering a multiline telephone. I work for 10 full time providers as well as 5 part time providers.
First job I did not have to take home with me.
Procurement Technician PCPC (Current Employee), Leavenworth, KSNovember 20, 2014
Pros: job security
Cons: management does not follow the rules.
A lot of computer work using excel, outlook and PDF documents.
Dept of Veteran Affairs
Veterans Claims Examiner (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYNovember 20, 2014
I processed education benefits claims for active and retired veterans.
An Uptight and Politically Suffocating Workplace
Writer-Editor (Former Employee), Washington, DCNovember 19, 2014
Pros: it works in support of our nation's veterans
Cons: needs to change its culture of being politically incorrect
The Department of Veterans Affairs needs to change it culture of "lip-serving" the Nation's Veteran population; it needs to put actual service to Veterans need instead of espousing slogans. Too many people there in upper management spent their time in politically wasteful pursuits, while the rank-and-file employees sweated over their annual evaluations – more... and being demoted for standing up for the truth. I deployed to a combat inclusion zone while working for VA, but returned to a place that seemed to care little for my military service; this being the agency that should care. While here, I also retired from military service after 25 years and was forced to leave VA for greener pastures. I could never, ever call this place "Happy Valley." – less
Vibrant and productive
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee), Ann Arbor, MINovember 19, 2014
Pros: fellow co-workers were good, hard-working people.
I am a disabled veterans and a typical work day busy with paper work dealing with clients heavy call volume on the phones but other than that its pretty laid back you meet different types of people. etc I've learned how to deal with people with many different health and mental health issues, co workers are very friendly and helpful.
Serving those who have served our country
Executive Assistant- Intern (Former Employee), Olympia, WANovember 18, 2014
Providing our veterans with services such as medical, dental, and financial stability; in an office environment working for the state.
Excellent group of individuals to work with.
Program Data Analyst (Current Employee), Washington, DCNovember 17, 2014
Pros: excellent team
Cons: compensation vs work not in-balance
The client has novel intentions to do right by our veterans. Creativity is greatly rewarded and commended. The sense of service and mission critical nature of individual roles further ensures value on day to day basis. I would recommend this opportunity.
VA - Their Appearance is not what is Inside
Community Outreach Technician (Former Employee), Doral, FLNovember 17, 2014
Pros: its a job.
Cons: be careful how proactive you are.
Management will say one thing but will actively do the opposite.

My direct supervisor said he wanted an independent person who can think on their feet.

When I started thinking on my feet, my direct supervisor began to fabricate transgressions to get me FIRED.
Productive and fun workplace
Curatorial and Archival Assistant (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYNovember 16, 2014
Pros: good educational experience, moma admission discount, field trips to museums, art lectures, recognition as a contributor, utilizing my art skills, lunch voucher
Cons: long commute, cafeteria does not cater to my diet and nutrition
A typical day at the VA Hospital as an assistant to the Recreational Therapist is very eventful. The patients in the art therapy group enlist my help and assistance with their creative projects, such as collages, poetry, and portrait photography. We recently showcased over 100 works of the veterans art at the Staten Island Borough Hall as a retrospective – more... of their accomplishments in the program and to honor Veterans Week. The therapist I am assisting, is truly an inspiring force. She is pioneering a movement that allows the veterans to have a venue where they can creatively and confidently express themselves through various mediums, and find a better understanding of themselves, their identities and their relationship with their environment. I have obtained new skills such as curatorial and archival skills, writing press releases, event invitations, planning, and designing banners. The hardest part of the job is tactfully selecting the best art work for the exhibitions. The most enjoyable part of the job is to engage with the artists and to watch their process in the art production. – less
good work place
IT Assistant/Student Program (Former Employee), Lexington, KYNovember 15, 2014
typical work day busy with paper work dealing with clientsheavey call volume on the phones but other than that its pretty laid back you meet different types of people. etc ive learned how to deal with people with many different health and mental health issues, co workers are very friendly and helpful.

1 2 3 4 5

About Department of Veterans Affairs

The United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is a government-run military veteran benefit system with Cabinet-level status. – Read more

Department of Veterans Affairs Photos