Department of Veterans Affairs

Department of Veterans Affairs Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Saint John, NBApril 28, 2014
Time management, computer software, mail, medical reports, business letters
Productive, very relaxing,fun
Caregiver (Former Employee), Wainwright, ABOctober 28, 2013
Pros: doing what i enjoyed doing.
Cons: not enough of a clientele around the area to stay in that job.
Entering the Veterans home daily. A home tells me a lot about the client and their families.I worked alone so I had no co-workers doing this job.The job wasn't hard at all. And the most enjoyable part of the job was making my clients happy with what I did for them.
Excellent Workplace From a Student Perspective
Student Clerk (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 26, 2013
Pros: stable hours, good pay incentives for students, work not too difficult
Cons: interchangeability of bosses, several methods for one problem
It was a fairly typical office work setting.
You'd show up, have nice co-workers, do your work and clock out. The people are what made it a great job, for the most part it was just regular office work.
Healthy and Client Focused Work Environment
Policy Intern (Current Employee), Care Management and Social Work ServicesMarch 9, 2013
Would work for the VA again.
Very focused on improving services for vets.
Individuals who work there care about the population they serve
Great helping enviorement for helping others
Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee), Miami, FLJuly 9, 2012
Pros: great benefits
Cons: part time job
I was incharge of reviewing resumes and recomending interviews for qualified candidates, performed interviews and hired candidates. Conducted welcoming session for new employees and took care of all paperwork needed. I was also ask to perform special assigments within the hospital management such as reviewing and noting issues with the system used to – more... performed procedures with patients.
I learned a lot about teamwork, interacting with others, being able to recognize patients needs and being able to meet those needs. Management was very good and very accesible, my co-workers were great people commited to helping others. The hardest part of the job for me was not being able to help everybody and the most fullfiling part was seen the smiles on patients faces after we heloed them. – less
Great company.
Sr. Systems Engineer (Current Employee), Austin, TXJuly 21, 2014
Embrace telework / telecommute for part of the work hours.
Great co-workers.
Much technology to learn and enhance.
Care of Veterans
FRT- Program Support Assitant (Current Employee), Omaha, NEJuly 20, 2014
Pros: working with veterans and employees who truely care about them.
Cons: working with employees who are bullies and harrsing.
I work for a consolidated patient care center called CPAC in the Omaha facility that is based out of Leavenworth, KS a branch of the Veterans Health System. A typical day of running reports for medical billing for our Veterans. I have learned rules and regulations of the government medical procedures, along with medical insurance and applying co-pays – more... and third party billing. Some management is very competent and some not so much. We have a set of co-workers that are bullying and harassing and a manager that helps with that. The hardest part of the job is convenience a manager with billing that can be done when he has never worked for a government agency. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with Veterans with issues they have with billing or anything that may arise. – less
Excellent
Procurement Analyst (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAJuly 18, 2014
Everyday has new challenges. Always learning new procedures and government policies as they are updated.Focused on streamlining the contracting process to better provide for the customer. Great team environment. The hardest part of the job is documenting accurately.
Nice place to work, extemely busy.
Locksmith (Current Employee), Orlando, FLJuly 18, 2014
Pros: nice area to work
Cons: constant changes
A typical day at work is completely busy with tons of jobs from the time you arrive until the time you leave. You should be fully skilled before you apply for any position here, otherwise you will fall behind quickly. The people are friendly, just a little stressed because of all the VA hype in the media, and the large work load from all the veterans – more... coming in and new facilities being built. – less
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALJuly 17, 2014
A great place to work with an excellent opportunity for advancement.
Stable environment to work
Emergency Management Coordinator (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNJuly 17, 2014
Compensation is low when compared to civilian hospitals but the mission is much better and very stable place to work with little fear of job loss
Great work environment.
Anesthesia Technician (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJuly 16, 2014
Pros: professiomal co-workers
Cons: staffing
Team Work and excellence is our private motto.constructive work environment
Every veteran had a story.ww11,Korea,Vietnam to the current.I enjoyed the conversations and gained so much knowledge of their lives and where i could
certified Peer Support Specialist (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXJuly 14, 2014
Pros: working in the mental health area was very rewarding
Cons: i would have liked to come in later and stay at work later to catch more working veterans
I enjoyed my time with the Dept of Veterans Affairs.The work started with talking to co-workers(most got to work early) and catching with each others previous day. I would check E-mails and prepared for the morning meeting where we would discuss individual veterans. The case management of veterans assigned to me was reviewed at the meeting and suggested – more... areas of concern were brought to my attention.I was blessed to have a good group of professionals to be able to work with. We tried to assist each other to make everything work smoothly for example making copies or ordering mass production of literature.This job was very enjoyable and the most enjoyable was seeing the change in the veterans as i spoke to them of recovery and hope. – less
see below
LPN (Current Employee), Charleston, SCJuly 14, 2014
Pros: very good benefits, excellent working hours
Cons: none that i could think of
a typical day at the VA begins AT 8am with logging on to the computer. printing the schedules for the day, unlocking exam room doors and making sure the rooms are clean, stocked and clean paper on the exam tables.
calling patients, getting their vital signs if needed and putting the patient into the exam room as needed
I enjoy working with my co-workers – more... we are a team and work together
the hardest part to me is when we lose one of our veterans
the most enjoyable part to me is seeing the veteran who was so sick when i first met him and then seeing his progress – less
great place to work
Student Nurse Technician (SNT) (Former Employee), Mountain Home, TNJuly 12, 2014
I worked here from July 2009 to December of 2010 as a Student Nurse Tech. Best atmosphere and patient population. It was an honor working there
Worst place to work
RN terminated because I challenged their lie. (Former Employee), VANJHCSJuly 11, 2014
Cons: no time clock.managers favorites can come in any time they want without any consequences.
Very prejudiced place to work.Senior staff members think they own the place.They can make any lies to not to hire you or keep you.I am a victim.Because I challenged their lie.They made up more lies and fired me during probation.
Overall
Health Aid (Former Employee), Detroit, MIJuly 11, 2014
I loved this job. Everything was great. The only reason I left was because it was co-op.
Fun work environment.
Urology Department Student Intern (Former Employee), La Jolla, CAJuly 10, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: no pay
My internship consisted of shadowing surgeons during rounds and attending open surgeries.
Exciting workplace with excellence chance of promotion
Claims Assistant (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJuly 10, 2014
Pros: benefits, 401k
Cons: starting salary
Help veterans the best way possible.
I learned that patience is a very successful tool when dealing with clients and customers.
My co-workers were like family, most of us came from a military background.
The hardest part was not getting enough overtime.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the environment and benefit package.
Performace testing & capacity planning
Consultant (Former Employee), Washington , DCJuly 9, 2014
Complete performance testing life cycle - Work with product owner - scaling , Production support

1 2 3 4 5

About Department of Veterans Affairs

The United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is a government-run military veteran benefit system with Cabinet-level status. – Read more

Department of Veterans Affairs Photos