DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORT

DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORT Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Highly skilled and productive
Legal Assistant (Former Employee), Pretoria, GPJune 20, 2013
Pros: less travelling
Cons: working long hours to meet deadlines
My typical day at work involved legal research and report writing;

I have learned to draft contracts, provision of legal advise and briefing of state attorneys for representation in court;

I was not managing any staff members at department of transport;

My co-workers were admitted attorneys positioned in the legal directorate dispensing legal opinions – more... and advice;

The hardest part of my job was learning how to draft contracts and prepare briefing notes;

The most enjoyable part was working with professionals and being afforded an opportunity to participate in high level cases – less
WELL CO ORDINATED
metro police officer (Current Employee), city of tshwane municipalityMay 20, 2013
Pros: equipments
Cons: ability to work shifts and under pressure
enjoy daily tasks
work with differnt people of different cultres and back rounds
good leader ship skills
always hands on
to work under management who doesnt listen to people on the ground
when interacting with the public
Challenging, enjoyable, exciting
intern: research and innovation (Current Employee), Gauteng, PretoriaMay 7, 2013
I am currently an intern and up to this point, I have been given tasks that are challenging. However, I am up to the challenge since i am able to do what is asked of me. This is an exciting environment to be at since I am being exposed to many things. on the other hand, since i am an intern under research and innovation, I am presented with an opportunity – more... to learn more because it is through reading that one gets to accumulate information and be a critical analyst. what i have observed thus far is that people here are friendly and they are willing to assist where assistance is required. – less
Same projects over and over again
Senior Industrial Technician (Current Employee), Jozini, KZNMay 6, 2013
Pros: one has to focus on one's projects from beginning to end of project.
Cons: too much time on our hands, especially when it's beginning of financial year.
We mainly deal with gravel roads construction and maintenance therefore one cannot grow in other sectors. I would love to grow my knowledge on design and other forms of civil engineering, I feel I need something more challenging.
Fun Work Place but you must be very productive
Assistant Administrative Officer (Current Employee), East LondonMarch 19, 2013
Pros: free lunches
Cons: you can be delegated anywhere in the eastern cape if there is a problem in the taxi industry
Very Busy,since i started here i new nothing but the taxi industry,but as time whent buy i learned a lot.
Mangement is very supportive essspecially when you have a problem.
Going out to the differenet assocaiations as the dont want to accept the new changes,one time we have to be escorted by the police from the meeting.
When every one work together.
Assistant Director (Current Employee), PretoriaFebruary 20, 2013
Cons: working overtime
I have learned how to develop Chief Directorate strategic plan. I had an oppotunity to research and develop funding model. I conducted feasibility study for the establishment of a bicycle manufacturing plant in South Africa. I have developed Annual Performance Plan and Estimate of National Expenditure. I have developed access roads and side walks in – more... rural areas. Develop work plan and implement various projects. managing different projects and stakeholders. Develop and facilitate the signing of memorandum of agreement with role players. Developed operational plan and ensure the implementation thereof.

The hardest part is when there is no enough budget for project implementation. It is unberable to fail to meet targets due to financial contraints because as a project manager I commit time, strength, plan, and energy on the project. failing to meet targets will be a dissapointment.

The most enjoyable part is helping the poor of the poorest to access services and market for their products and poverty reduction.
Ensure acess and mobility in rural areas contribute to local economic development through the development of rural transport network plan. – less
Fun workplace
INTERN (Current Employee), PRETORIAFebruary 12, 2013
THE DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORT IS A WONDERFUL PLACE ONE CAN WORK AT. THE ENJOYABLE PART OF THE JOB IS THAT ONE WILL LEARN HOW POLICY MAKING IS ESSENTIAL IN TRANSPORT ENVIRONMENT AND HOW CRUCIAL TRANSPORT IS IN OUR ECONOMY. THE PUBLIC SERVANTS USE UBUNTU AND BATHO PHELE PRINCIPLES, WHICH MAKES THE WARMNESS OF THE WORKING ENVIRONMENT.
Call Centre Consultant
Call Centre Consultant (Former Employee), East PerthJanuary 23, 2013
Pros: great work enviorment
Cons: conflicting training program
Delivering information to WA learner driver on the phone, answering enquires and mailing information.
enjoyable and challenging
intern admin (Current Employee), PretoriaDecember 19, 2012
Pros: attending workshops
up to so far i have learn a lot about admin work and i think the whole 10 months which are left will be fruitful the co-workers are very helpful and patient
Administrator
Managing the diary of the District Manager (Former Employee), East LondonNovember 2, 2012
answering telephone
responding to correspondance
taking messages
taking minutes of the DM Meetings
attending to the visitors
fillng
making travel and accomodation arrangements
do inventory
diarise the DM work day to day
productive, friendly and full of passion
Administration Clerk (Current Employee), aliwal north, eastern capeJuly 18, 2012
Pros: healthy enviroment as they promote sports
Cons: health care, leave days
- A Typical day at work is requesting quotations for accomodation, stationery, catering and travel, calling suppliers, faxing, photocopying, entering invioces on the spreadsheet, capturing and auotharizing orders on the Basic Accounting System
- I have learnt that things dont always go my way and that team work is the most valuable thin. i also have – more... learny that good supplier relationships are the best key to a productive day.
-My Co-workers are friendly, dedicated individuals
-The hardest part of the, job not being able to able to get suppliers
-The most enjoybale part is working with the people i work with
-mangment team is very democtatic, always asking for our opinions – less
Good working environment
Traffic Officer/Examiner of driving licence (Current Employee), PietermaritzburgApril 17, 2012
Cons: sometimes we work long hours due to accidents
working hours are from 07h30 to 16h00 and weekends are 06h00 to 14h00 or 14h00 to 22h00.
I have learned to give edidence in court with confidence and different code of driving licence.
The most interesting part of the job is when examining applicants for driving licence.
The hardest part of the job is to close the road due to accident.