DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORT

DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORT Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
One of my first job
Pay Clerk, Pay and Benefits (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 7, 2012
I was a pay and benefits clerk in Personnel and enjoyed it very much.
Dedicated and competent individual
Assistant Director: Recruitment and Selection (Former Employee), Pretoria, GPJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: recognition of employees
Cons: lack of communication
Very committed, dedicated and competed individual to work with in order to achieve the objectives of the organization. Visionary leader and good mentor to colleagues and Junior staff within the organization. Employees must be motivated to perform to the best of their abilities
Perfect place for a technician
Desktop Support Technicians (Former Employee), Johannesburg, GPJanuary 22, 2015
I would assist like 2-3 users on a normal day,
I learned the tangible aspect of networking,
The management was the best there,
I was working with gentle people there.
The only time I was overwhelmed is when the whole building went down.
It is nice working for the government. More especially when you don't mind exposure and learning more.
we are getting access to accurate information
inservice trainee (Former Employee), Aliwal North, ECJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: wellness games (music sport and art)
Cons: whenever we go out side the town (submition of the monthly data to head office)
what I learnt from this department is how to work with different people from different ethics. I also learnt how to behave at work place, I am really enjoying doing my job because it motivates me to move forward and what I like about it, I am working with public serving the people of the community that what I like most. The management that I am work under I the most encouraging people always bare in mind the opinions of the subordinates. The thing that discourage me about my department is the fact that the are certain limits for the Learners we don't access all the benefits that the official get such as developmental training and skills.
Great team environment and latest technology
Driver and Vehicle Services (Former Employee), Perth CBDDecember 28, 2014
A typical day at work starts by getting there early to have breakfast and a cup of tea before I log on to many computer programs so that I am ready to start work right on time. Staying positive with a results focussed attitude and a goal to achieve KPIs is a must. I constantly learn new things everyday. I especially learn from the hard calls or problems that need to be resolved right away. I am always open with communication with my managers/supervisors and co-workers. I am friendly and supportive of my co-workers. The hardest part of the job is when there is a situation that cannot be resolved due to the policies and procedures of the company. I find that by breaking down the issue and explaining to the client why it cannot be resolved in their preferred way enables the client to understand the situation better and reduces their anger and frustration. The most enjoyable part would have to be the satisfaction that you have done your job well and helped several people that day including clients, co-workers and the team as a whole.
PRODUCTIVE WORK PLACE
Senior Personnel Officer (Current Employee), Ladysmith, ZNDecember 17, 2014
Pros: 30 minutes lunch
Cons: 8 hours
EVERYDAY I WILL HAVE TO MEET THE DEADLINE OF CAPTURING OVERTIME CLAIMS FOR RTI OFFICIALS +- 200.

IF ONE OF MY COLLEGUE IS NOT AT WORK WILL HAVE TO ATTEND TO THEIR QUERIES AND DO THEIR JOB.

THE MOST ENJOYABLE PART IS UPDATING THE LEAVE FORMS ACCORDING TO PERSAL PRINTOUT.
fun workplace
road fixer (Former Employee), Vryheid, ZNNovember 24, 2014
Pros: free launches
Cons: long hours
I find it very nice working on department of works, ts only just their management when it comes to geting salaries its like it was hard paying people after the very hard work they did but otherwise department of transport is good at doing their job and i wasnt underpressure about my job, even the boos I had was very nice to its employees,so I can say department of transport is the best.
all
Administration Assistant (Former Employee), Abu Dhabi, AZNovember 22, 2014
I was enjoying all the work I have done in this company... and I like the team
Productive, hard working work place
Data Inputer (Former Employee), HastingsSeptember 30, 2014
Pros: flexible working hours
Cons: lack of variety
Work involved typing up surveys into a computer database. From working here I learned how to organise the surveys as well as use databases and various computer shortcuts. The managers were helpful and clear in their instructions while my co-workers were friendly and fun people. The difficult part of the job was having to do the same thing for hours on end, but I got used to rhythm soon enough. The best part of the job was being able to start and end when I choose, provided I did the required weekly hours and being able to choose when to take my lunch break.
I am so productive
Intern (Current Employee), King Williams TownAugust 19, 2014
I am showing much commitment to my areas of responsibility, I understand my duties. Professionalism is what I always show. I am so eager to learn, I adapts easily to changes. I assisted Asset Management section on asset verification and stock count for 2013/14 financial year and I worked long hours and weekends as this is not an easy task. i showed much commitment and dedication .I understands policies and procedures.

I have learned so much since my arrival in the department, how to be professional, how to interact with others. The theory I have studied at school my mantor made it practically for me, She made the working environment to comforting, and easy to adapt.
offers current relavent skills to socio economic environment
intern Human Resources Officer (Former Employee), Umtata, ECJuly 7, 2014
Pros: free workshops
Cons: lacks exposure
it is a vibrant and fun work place that is concerned about its employees well being and skills development.
dedication to the job
SENIOR ADMIN CLERK (Current Employee), Durban, ZNJuly 3, 2014
Pros: fringe benefits
Cons: no scope for promotion
no scope for promotion,
Currently facing a lot of challenges such as shortage of staff,
the department is not filling posts.(moratorium)
there is also a challenge with regards to staff that have qualifications but cannot perform the duties.
Durban is the highest revenue generating registering authority and we have to function daily with minimum staff and still deliver a service to the public.
the most difficult part of the job is dealing with irate customers and some staff that lack work ethics.
the most enjoyable part of the job is that i am experienced so every day is a challenge for me, I am able to resolve problems amicably.
developmental
Assistant Director: Labour Relations (Current Employee), Kimberley, NCJuly 1, 2014
Pros: availability of budget to enhance labour relations' oprations.
Cons: the unnecessarily long meetings
meet with the Head of Department at a briefing session for the day.

to follow instructions from my principlas.

learned to do contribute effectively during strategic management meetings.

played a significant role in mentoring me on public service processes.

dismissal of the employee, especially if a person is the sole breadwinner.

engaging with unions and employees during training and collective bargaining sessions.
Internship (Former Employee), Mmabatho, NWMay 10, 2014
Pros: thank you gift for a job well done
Cons: 8 hours
Hardest Part: was to go out to issue bicycles in the villages

Enjoyable Part: Fullfill the objectives of the project

Co-workers: Fun to work with

Management: Very Organised
exciting and fufilling.
Senior Training officer (Current Employee), Pietermaritzburg, ZNMarch 5, 2014
PROS; it is very rewarding when you have trained an official and you can see the client has benefitted. when you read all the evaluation forms and all you read are compliments. I get to travel and meet with people from outside Pietermaritzburg and share good practice with them. Meeting with other departments within the province and again share the good practie.I have learnt to accept people with their different attitudes towards training. The most difficult part of my job is when I have coordinated training and all the logistics that goes with it and officials do not turn up and do not even bother to report their absence from training.I have a vry good team of colleagues that I work with, they make my job ease.it is also very frustrating to try and perfrom your duties and only to be told by management that there are no funds available for that programme.
Investigation
Occupational Health and Safety Officer (Current Employee), Oudtshoorn, WCMarch 4, 2014
A typical day at work when investigation needs to be done and no documents or medical report is available. Then you need to start from the lower face. But what I have learned is that it is better to start from the lower face, you will get a better picture of the incident. The support is there and labourers is playing a big part of this system by their support. Working together with Co-workers and each time try to understand them day- by- day. The hardest part of the job is when you are without an assistant for your administration work, because OHS has many administration work then physical work that needs to be done. And most important is when there is fatalities or loss of limbs due to work, you became sad in away that cannot be describe. But still I enjou the investigation part of my job.
Wellbeing Program provides work life balance options
OHS Consultant, WorkCover and Return to Work (Current Employee), Melbourne, VICJanuary 18, 2014
Pros: thanks for a job well done !
Cons: persistance in scheduling arrangeements
A standard day involves notifications via the occupational health and safety management system and email volume that averages approx. 100-150 all on OHS, WorkCover and Return to Work matters. On average 3 to 5 projects may be operating and I would be involved in OHS project management.
Consultation is an ongoing part of OHS, I spent time over the phone with regional offices, at times l may be on site to support process in place and monitor any residual risks.
Communicate daily with business unit managers to improve process and implement resolution based outcomes.
Attend daily meetings and address case management issues.
Management have learned to approach OHS matters analytically and undertake appropriate risk management process, their state of knowledge will support minimising any potential conflicts.
There are difficulties in the job in trying to align time with all stakeholders, this can take time and planning.
The most enjoyable part of my job involves people understanding the benefit of OHS intervention, what can be gained and sustained in the long term. The knowledge and independence gained in implementing systems that consider all health and safety risks and implement appropriate process as part of responsible management.
To provide access to transport for people of all abilities
Research Officer (Former Employee), MelbourneJanuary 11, 2014
Pros: management and staff were self motivated and experienced
Creating a new Public Transport Access Committee based on the review of 18 key principles.
hectic,fun and challenging,stressing
administration clerk (Current Employee), Durban North, ZNDecember 29, 2013
Pros: friendly staff
Cons: long hours
meeting deadlines and finishing my work before I leave
I learned to take charger of my life and if I don't like something I must be able to say it at that time don't hold something
my co workers are friendly and committed
at the end of the month
Christmas time because it is the for giving
Learning curve
Intern: Administrative Clerk (Current Employee), Aliwal North, ECDecember 19, 2013
Pros: travelling and meeting new people and learning from them
i enjoyed working here because i have learnt a lot since i started my internship. i enjoy working with my colleagues

1 2 3