Department of Justice

Department of Justice Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive and Efficient
Investigation Agent (Former Employee), San Juan, PRMarch 9, 2014
Pros: 30 minute meal break in a period of 8 hours worked.
Cons: i did not have any kind of betefits.
A typical day at work is to make written reports in the area and investigate complaints and monitor devices in the area on BI or GPC released by the Justice Department.
Job satisfaction, sense of purpose.
Prison Officer (Current Employee), Chelmsford, ENGFebruary 19, 2014
Pros: great team spirit
Cons: long, unsociable hours
Communication's Officer is responsible for the smooth running of the prison via the Radio. Proper radio protocol at all times. Answerable to the Governor and Custodial Manager in charge, but keeping to the times required to move prisoners en mass, through the prison, to their various work places as per regime requirements. This empowers you, as an employee, – more... as you are working alot on your own. Being aware of security at all times, monitoring the cameras, which are situated throughout the prison. Making others aware of dangers within the prison and controlling movement. Contacting emergency services, when needed. Being aware of the Contingency plans and what is required, by law, when a serious emergency arises. It is long hours, but my collegues and I have always worked together well, as a team. Great job satisfaction. My most enjoyable part of the job is when I feel that I have helped somebody and accomplished something difficult. Management is supportive especially when a bad situation has arisen (eg a death in custody). I have attended Coroner's Court as well as Magistrates and Crown Court. Magistrate's and Crown is via Video Link, within the prison and I sadly attended Coroner's Court due to a prisoner's suicide. – less
A wonderful place to work
Certified Albanian Language Expert (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 18, 2014
A wonderful place to work, challenging, fast-paced, diverse culture
Fun workplace
Registry Clerk (Current Employee), Pretoria,GautengFebruary 6, 2014
It's always hectic and I have learned a lot of things like working as a group and as an individual. My co-workers are friendly people that i work very well with. The hardest part of the job is when there are auditors looking for files but we cannot find them maybe because of misfiling or we haven't received them from HR.The working enviroment and working – more... with people is the most enjoyable thing about my job – less
best admin clerk
Admin clerk (Former Employee), MPFebruary 5, 2014
I enjoy practicing batho pelo at work, and making sure that everyone leave the place with a smile

typical day is to work with a difficult person
Court Room
Senior Stenographer (Former Employee), ZNJanuary 28, 2014
Every day was a different day. I learn to treat al kinds of people with respect and the kindness they deserved. Management was the best. Co workers was helpful and always there to assist. To listen to cases was the hardest part. Most enjoyable part for me was to work with the people around me, and to be helpful to anyone.
Productive and energetic work place
Security Specialist (Current Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 28, 2014
A very dynamic workplace that can change everyday. Conduct firearms training, great coworkers and seasoned management.
Team Lead Mids/Senior Analyst
Department of Justice (Current Employee), Washing, DCJanuary 15, 2014
• Conduct Network Monitoring and Incident Response operations supporting a Cabinet-Level Federal Agency 24x7x365.
•Ability to problem solves, ask questions, and discover why things are happening.
• Correlate data from intrusion detection and prevention systems with data from other sources such as firewall, web server, and DNS logs.
• Develop and produce – more... reports on all activities and incidents to help maintain day to day status, develop and report on trends, and provide focus and situational awareness on all issues.
•Reporting outputs will be reviewed and approved to ensure quality and metrics are maintained.
• Produce daily/weekly/monthly/quarterly reporting as required by management.
• Coordinate with appropriate organizations regarding possible security incidents. Conduct intra-office research to evaluate events as necessary, maintain the current list of coordination points of contact.
• Produce reports identifying significant or suspicious security events to appropriate parties. Include latest security threat information and tie back to specific intrusion sets of nation state actors when possible.
• Maintain knowledge of the current security threat level by monitoring related Internet postings, Intelligence reports, and other related documents as necessary.
• Identify misuse, malware, or unauthorized activity on monitored networks. Report the activity appropriately as determined by the customer.
• Maintain proficiency and skills through relevant training, conventions, conferences, and on-the-job training.
• Monitor and analyze network traffic, IDS alerts, network and system logs, and available open source information to detect and report threats to customer networks.
• Perform CERT/SOC operations to include IDS event monitoring and analysis, security incident handling, incident reporting, and threat analysis
•Participate in tuning and filtering event information – less
Time oriented and Accountability for Public monies
ACCOUNTING CLERK (Current Employee), Pretoria, GPJanuary 15, 2014
Pros: job security
Cons: dealing with the public who sometimes don't understand how the whole system works
Enter the office and immediately plan for the whole days work, check for system rejections, send yesterdays payments report and then start printing from where i left of yesterday have learnt to be patient in explaining what we do in our office for the public to understand the whole process. Management sometimes implements their ideas without hearing – more... from the employee first whether its a good idea or not, we have the first hand experience with working with the public so i would say i understand them better than management. The hardest part would be trying to explain to a beneficiary who doesn't want an explanation or excuse but just wants her money without wanting to understand the whole process that goes into them getting their money electronically. Most enjoyable would the satisfaction you get when you get a call from a beneficiary that you helped get their money as quick as possible after they had been a few complications( missing paper work,unverified account details, etc.) and they couldn't get their money on time. – less
lots of pressure but enjoyable
Office administrator (Former Employee), Howick, ZNJanuary 10, 2014
Pros: presents for everyones birthday
Cons: having to put extra hours inorder to get my work up to date.
I had to help a member of the public who was partially deaf. I learned that at the place of work especially if you are working with the public you will come across different types of people who will behave in different ways. Management was fun and understanding but wanted everyone to take their work seriously and be up to date with our work. My co-workers – more... were very very helpful individuals. Having to work two courts at the same time. the most enjoyable part of the job was when I was ahead with my job. – less
Stong culture with great co-workers.
Professional (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJanuary 9, 2014
Pros: great retirement.
Cons: challenging work.
Very professional environment. Agency builds up employees and provides opportunities to advance if you are willing to move to fill agency needs.
poor
Maintenance Investigator (Former Employee), Port Shepstone, ZNJanuary 8, 2014
demotivating, doing one and the same thing everyday, no challenges, poor and not experienced managers, co-workers unruly and not obeying company's policies, hardest part was working hard and not receiving compliments or even merit for it.

Enjoyable part was getting a salary and being able to maintain my family.
A unique and challenging way to serve my country's interest.
Senior Technical Advisor (Current Employee), Washington, DCDecember 18, 2013
A team of technical advisors with subject matter expertise who are unparalleled in their dedication and leadership abilities.
Productive and effective workplace
Foreign Court Practitioner (Current Employee), Johannesburg, GPDecember 17, 2013
Pros: meeting different people
Cons: stories and predicaments that have a sad connotation.
A typical day would be a day in court and what I have learnt about different cultures. I have an understanding mostly they all require respect and good advice.

My co-workers are great from different backgrounds and personalities and the most enjoyable part of my job is to hear their victories and stay in South Africa. Their successes and challenges – more... and particularly their decision making skills.

The most hardest part of my job is the stories I get to hear due to the nature of my job yet I have to maintain a positive disposition.

The management of my work is great as mostly it is dependent on the diary system which I became a part of in enhancing and my supervisor has been very helpful in making my work less stressful despite the fact that the environment was new.

The job however could be better paying but I have enjoyed the efficiency of my work team and those involved. – less
stress free environment, productive and fun
Family Counselor/Social worker (Current Employee), Kimberley, NCDecember 6, 2013
Pros: free coffee and tea/t-shirts/perfomance bonus
Cons: reasonable hours, paid for overtime idf budget is there
i enjoy my work but i must be honest i do not like a supervisor or a manager who is bossy i need a supervisor or manager who guides and support me and also fair.

the hardest part of the job is when the Lawyers gives us hard time at work but i make sure that i am assertive because i know my story and i hate it when managers tell us that the Auditors – more... are coming and what what, i dont like to be treatned, at work i want my manager to guide and coach me so that i can be productive, yes they can criticise and tell me when i am wrong but after they must coach me to do things correctly.

the most enjoyable part is when i do all my work and reached the target then i feel good.

i learnt a lot especially writing professional report, forensic report and being an expert in court, public speaking, and facilitation, realy i am good and professional. – less
Fun and varied work
Freelance translator (Current Employee), Durban, ZNDecember 6, 2013
Pros: work is always interesting
Cons: irregular jobs
I have worked in the courts and helping the police when needed. Also translated books, documents. interpreted at conferences. The work is exciting, however not regular. Sometimes I interpret in courts, other times during the investigations, or translate and proofread a book.
I don't normally get to work with the same people twice.The hardest part of – more... the job is lack of information about cases until I actually have to interpret. Sometimes the deadlines are very pressing, so it is hard to balance the speed and the quality of work.
The most enjoyable part is feeling of being a great help when people need it. Often I make personal friends with someone I have worked with. – less
Interesting workplace
Student Aide (Former Employee), Washington, DCNovember 30, 2013
This was a good job for a college student. You could easily complete homework assignments.
It is very challenging as you work with differnt kinds of people but at at the end of the day it becomes productive as there is much of a team work.
Administration Clerk (Current Employee), Grahamstown, ECNovember 5, 2013
Pros: when we go aout as a team to have a braai after having a long day, when we are oing to netball and soccer tournament and music concerts.
Cons: audits, to try and fix the mess that was done because of certain individuals negligence.
when you have to be in court with the most dangerous people in the society. i have learned not to panick in whatever situation i am working under. It hurts when management doesnt treat the employees the same. Teamwork is very important as it make the job easier. When you are faced with a difficult customers even when you are trying to calm him /her – more... down they do not listen. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you have managed to assist the customers and they acknowlege you for the help you have done for them. – less
Workplace Responsibilities
Filing Clerk (Student Aide) (Former Employee), Washington, DCNovember 2, 2013
Pros: learning experience
Cons: no benefits
Archived closed case files and sent them to records, filed current cases for future use by attorneys, scanned court documents to be used during trial, and translated court documents that were in Spanish for attorneys, served as a translator between an attorney and a person of interest.
Interesting workplace
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee), Pietermaritzburg, ZNOctober 31, 2013
Pros: na
Cons: na
Going to court every morning and voice recording all the interactions in the court room, and doing administrative work in the office. I learned that crime is a very seriou offence and could ruin your life when found guilty. Co-workers would be all the participants in the court room which are kind and each one of them play a vital role in the room, we – more... would get to interact whilst waiting for the magistrate to make his/her way to the court room. Hardest part of the job is having to face all these criminals that have committed crimes. The enjoyable part is what happens in the court room, the discussions that take place are enjoyable and interesting – less