Department of Justice

Department of Justice Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
productive and fun workplace
Secretary to the Chief Magistrate (Current Employee), Mthatha, ECApril 10, 2014
Pros: festivities, end year parties
Cons: overtime working on weekends
Department of Justice is a fun workplace to be.
I am saying this because when I started here in 2002 I had Matric and 2 year certificate in General secretary from a private college.
It was my first time being in a court or working closely with lawyers.
As it is a well known factor that Department of Justice is the department that is responisible for – more... development of all legislations that we have in South Africa. This means that somewhere somehow all government departments we have in here in South Africa. That makes one to be interested more in knowing what is happening in South Africa in terms of Law and that is the reason why I ended up registering with the University of South Africa to study law.
I am working closely with Magistrates and I take minutes in their meetings it is difficult to have proper records of minutes of you do not have knowledge or maybe basics of what is being discussed so you have to expand yourself in your work by doing research and volunteering your time assisting in other sections so that you have more knowledge about the department or office you are working for.
Management is fair and always willing to listen. Most of them always show signs of leadership. In 2011 and 2012 we had so many bereavements in our office. Our Director General together with the Regional Head Eastern Cape organised an event for our office where they organised motivational speakers and psychologist because then our production was low because death of our more than 13 colleagues affected us. – less
Typical Federal Government Workplace
Computer Specialist (Former Employee), Washington, DCApril 8, 2014
Pros: pretty easygoing work environment
Cons: most developer tools were free tools, like eclipse.
My co-workers made working more interesting. I learned Java SE and Java Swing while I worked there. I dabbled with Java EE, but I was asked to develop desktop Java applications, so my experience is mostly with Swing.
The place was indeed nice and enjoying the work.and enjoying worj\king as group
Casual Court Interpreter (Former Employee), Mpumalanga, ZNApril 3, 2014
Pros: 1 hour
Cons: 5 hours
I did enjoy my my work.it has tought me many things.eg.that i had to be partiant to every people especialy clients and we had to excecise batho pele principle[ people first ]I had to interprete corectly in court.I had to speak defferent languages spoken by the Magistrate.witnesess.the accused and after court ihad to record chargeshert in to the criminak – more... record book for court proceedind of the following dayI did enjoy working with my co .workers as i indicated in my cv that iam a team worker and i can also manage A GROUP.The hardest part about my work was that sometime i had to knock off at work at around 20H00 if the they is small clime court. – less
WORKING AS ADMINISTRATOR AT THIS TIME WAS SO MUCH FUN
ADMINISTRATION CLERK (Former Employee), Johannesburg, GPMarch 26, 2014
PEOPLE OR MY MANGER WAS SO HELPFUL BECAUSE SHE TAUGHT ME A LOT ABOUT BEING AN ADMINISTRATOR AND I AM SO GRATEFUL TODAY THAT I KNOW HOW TO WORK AS AN ADMINISTRATOR EVEN THOUGH I AM NOW A CRIME INTELLIGENT OFFICER.
VERY ECO FRIENDLY ENVIRONMENT THAT I WORK IN
STATE ACCOUNTANT (Current Employee), Nelspruit, MPMarch 19, 2014
Pros: have enough time to break and chat some more with colleagues
Cons: putting extra hours for me has not been a bad thing i like very much to work
I LIKE THE ENVIRONMENT THAT I WORK IN NOW. I HAVE CREATED FOR MYSELF A SPACE THAT IS WELCOMING TO MY COLLEAGUES. I ENJOY BEING IN THIS POSITION IT HAS TAUGHT ME A LOT OF THING AND MORE ESPECIALLY MY SUPERVISOR, SHE IS THE BEST YOU CAN HAVE. A VERY NICE SUPERVISOR TO WORK WITH AND NOT THAT THE PREVIOUS SUPERVISORS WERE BAD THEY WERE AS WELCOMING. WORK – more... WILL ALWAYS BE AVAILABLE THE HARDEST PART IS TO BE UNDER CAPACITATED, THOUGH WE WORK AND WE ARE TRYING TO BALANCE AND WE WILL EVENTUALLY BALANCES ONE STEP AT A TIME. – less
I had learned how to be timekeeper and was responsible for receiving the checks daily and input on the system
Department of Justice (Former Employee), Washington, DCMarch 18, 2014
Pros: lunch only for one hour
Cons: no comments
I was a disabled person as a deaf employee and had been working with hearing co-workers and supervisors for over 30 years. I had the hardest part of the job was to process the time and attendance reports for 50 employees. I had the most enjoyable part of the job is working on the computer system for accounting.
Hard working and enjoy taking initiatives
Assistant Director (Current Employee), Pretoria, GPMarch 12, 2014
Pros: given projects and be given time to complete them
Cons: not being given platform to display my talent
The best interesting thing about my job is the freedom given to the employees on how they execute their duties. The support provided to team members. The employer also rewards the best performwnce especially if the team managed to achieve business and operational plan.
the only set back is that there is no succession plan and retention strategy. I learned – more... that much can be acheived through team efforts.
The hardest part is to make senior management acknoledge the challenges experienced at operational level.
the most enjoyable part of my job is when i see that i put a smile in a person and the client is happy with my service. – less
Productive and Efficient
Investigation Agent (Former Employee), San Juan, PRMarch 9, 2014
Pros: 30 minute meal break in a period of 8 hours worked.
Cons: i did not have any kind of betefits.
A typical day at work is to make written reports in the area and investigate complaints and monitor devices in the area on BI or GPC released by the Justice Department.
Job satisfaction, sense of purpose.
Prison Officer (Current Employee), Chelmsford, ENGFebruary 19, 2014
Pros: great team spirit
Cons: long, unsociable hours
Communication's Officer is responsible for the smooth running of the prison via the Radio. Proper radio protocol at all times. Answerable to the Governor and Custodial Manager in charge, but keeping to the times required to move prisoners en mass, through the prison, to their various work places as per regime requirements. This empowers you, as an employee, – more... as you are working alot on your own. Being aware of security at all times, monitoring the cameras, which are situated throughout the prison. Making others aware of dangers within the prison and controlling movement. Contacting emergency services, when needed. Being aware of the Contingency plans and what is required, by law, when a serious emergency arises. It is long hours, but my collegues and I have always worked together well, as a team. Great job satisfaction. My most enjoyable part of the job is when I feel that I have helped somebody and accomplished something difficult. Management is supportive especially when a bad situation has arisen (eg a death in custody). I have attended Coroner's Court as well as Magistrates and Crown Court. Magistrate's and Crown is via Video Link, within the prison and I sadly attended Coroner's Court due to a prisoner's suicide. – less
A wonderful place to work
Certified Albanian Language Expert (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 18, 2014
A wonderful place to work, challenging, fast-paced, diverse culture
Fun workplace
Registry Clerk (Current Employee), Pretoria,GautengFebruary 6, 2014
It's always hectic and I have learned a lot of things like working as a group and as an individual. My co-workers are friendly people that i work very well with. The hardest part of the job is when there are auditors looking for files but we cannot find them maybe because of misfiling or we haven't received them from HR.The working enviroment and working – more... with people is the most enjoyable thing about my job – less
best admin clerk
Admin clerk (Former Employee), MPFebruary 5, 2014
I enjoy practicing batho pelo at work, and making sure that everyone leave the place with a smile

typical day is to work with a difficult person
Court Room
Senior Stenographer (Former Employee), ZNJanuary 28, 2014
Every day was a different day. I learn to treat al kinds of people with respect and the kindness they deserved. Management was the best. Co workers was helpful and always there to assist. To listen to cases was the hardest part. Most enjoyable part for me was to work with the people around me, and to be helpful to anyone.
Productive and energetic work place
Security Specialist (Current Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 28, 2014
A very dynamic workplace that can change everyday. Conduct firearms training, great coworkers and seasoned management.
Team Lead Mids/Senior Analyst
Department of Justice (Current Employee), Washing, DCJanuary 15, 2014
• Conduct Network Monitoring and Incident Response operations supporting a Cabinet-Level Federal Agency 24x7x365.
•Ability to problem solves, ask questions, and discover why things are happening.
• Correlate data from intrusion detection and prevention systems with data from other sources such as firewall, web server, and DNS logs.
• Develop and produce – more... reports on all activities and incidents to help maintain day to day status, develop and report on trends, and provide focus and situational awareness on all issues.
•Reporting outputs will be reviewed and approved to ensure quality and metrics are maintained.
• Produce daily/weekly/monthly/quarterly reporting as required by management.
• Coordinate with appropriate organizations regarding possible security incidents. Conduct intra-office research to evaluate events as necessary, maintain the current list of coordination points of contact.
• Produce reports identifying significant or suspicious security events to appropriate parties. Include latest security threat information and tie back to specific intrusion sets of nation state actors when possible.
• Maintain knowledge of the current security threat level by monitoring related Internet postings, Intelligence reports, and other related documents as necessary.
• Identify misuse, malware, or unauthorized activity on monitored networks. Report the activity appropriately as determined by the customer.
• Maintain proficiency and skills through relevant training, conventions, conferences, and on-the-job training.
• Monitor and analyze network traffic, IDS alerts, network and system logs, and available open source information to detect and report threats to customer networks.
• Perform CERT/SOC operations to include IDS event monitoring and analysis, security incident handling, incident reporting, and threat analysis
•Participate in tuning and filtering event information – less
Time oriented and Accountability for Public monies
ACCOUNTING CLERK (Current Employee), Pretoria, GPJanuary 15, 2014
Pros: job security
Cons: dealing with the public who sometimes don't understand how the whole system works
Enter the office and immediately plan for the whole days work, check for system rejections, send yesterdays payments report and then start printing from where i left of yesterday have learnt to be patient in explaining what we do in our office for the public to understand the whole process. Management sometimes implements their ideas without hearing – more... from the employee first whether its a good idea or not, we have the first hand experience with working with the public so i would say i understand them better than management. The hardest part would be trying to explain to a beneficiary who doesn't want an explanation or excuse but just wants her money without wanting to understand the whole process that goes into them getting their money electronically. Most enjoyable would the satisfaction you get when you get a call from a beneficiary that you helped get their money as quick as possible after they had been a few complications( missing paper work,unverified account details, etc.) and they couldn't get their money on time. – less
lots of pressure but enjoyable
Office administrator (Former Employee), Howick, ZNJanuary 10, 2014
Pros: presents for everyones birthday
Cons: having to put extra hours inorder to get my work up to date.
I had to help a member of the public who was partially deaf. I learned that at the place of work especially if you are working with the public you will come across different types of people who will behave in different ways. Management was fun and understanding but wanted everyone to take their work seriously and be up to date with our work. My co-workers – more... were very very helpful individuals. Having to work two courts at the same time. the most enjoyable part of the job was when I was ahead with my job. – less
Stong culture with great co-workers.
Professional (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJanuary 9, 2014
Pros: great retirement.
Cons: challenging work.
Very professional environment. Agency builds up employees and provides opportunities to advance if you are willing to move to fill agency needs.
poor
Maintenance Investigator (Former Employee), Port Shepstone, ZNJanuary 8, 2014
demotivating, doing one and the same thing everyday, no challenges, poor and not experienced managers, co-workers unruly and not obeying company's policies, hardest part was working hard and not receiving compliments or even merit for it.

Enjoyable part was getting a salary and being able to maintain my family.
A unique and challenging way to serve my country's interest.
Senior Technical Advisor (Current Employee), Washington, DCDecember 18, 2013
A team of technical advisors with subject matter expertise who are unparalleled in their dedication and leadership abilities.