Department of Justice

Department of Justice Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great Work/Life Balance, Great Benefits
Legal Assistant (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 24, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: low pay
love working with the department of justice but recently with the change in reducing employees and replacing them, it has been difficult to work due overwhelming workloads. Most assistants here have now at 5:1 ratios.
Very fun and challenging workplace. No matter what you scheduled for the day you knew it was not going to happen as there was always something new.
Department of Justice (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 20, 2013
Pros: fun and challenging work.
Cons: more advancement for the lawyers.
This was a fast paced work environment with showed me how to work under pressure and lots of challenges. Our team was a very fun and energetic group which I will always remember.
Governmant company back home in Ukraine
Legal Assistant (Former Employee), UkraineApril 2, 2013
Government institution. Extremely professional place. Got tremendous amount of knowleges.
fun workplace, learn a lot meet special and executive peoples.
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee), Manila, PhilippinesNovember 27, 2012
Pros: near and good place to work with
Cons: sometimes long hours of work .
8hours day work for 5 days, i've learned a lot thru accounting principles even though I am not an accountant the management is so nice and great to work with my co workers are all friendly and nice, i enjoyed working with them .
Productive Workplace
Admin Officer (Current Employee), Ermelo, MPJune 25, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: only 1 hour
Checking Officer of the Domestic Violence Files
Dealing with the Family Violence applications
Preparing the Domestic Violence Files for return dates
Opening new files for Domestic Violence

Lodging the Estate for the late people
Opening files for the Estate Late
Pointing the Executor of the Estate Late belongings
a fun and enjoyable
Transport Officer Experiantial Learner (Current Employee), Polokwane, LPJune 9, 2014
Cons: we work long hours before lunch
ON every day basis i open e-mails to check if people have reported turn-downs because the whole Limpopo reports to my office,
at this job i have learned a lot because my managing skills have improved in a short period of time.
The management is very supportive and fun to be around as the treat me with respect and notice my work.
The hardest part of – more... the job is when reporting to standard bank because sometime i report over five(5) vehicles a day counting enquirers and you find that they take time to answer your phone.
enjoyable part of the work is doing everything i do everyday. – less
Most exciting law enforcement career.
Federal Agent (Current Employee), Boston, MAJune 6, 2014
Most Exciting career in law enforcement. No regrets, only fond memories knowing that our children slept soundly while we were arresting the most violent individuals in this country.
fun place to work
Records Management Supervisor (Current Employee), DCJune 4, 2014
Good place to work I been here for a while just looking for more growth oppurtunties
Great place to start after college
Data Analyst (Current Employee), Washington, DCJune 2, 2014
Pros: work life balance, benefits
Cons: pay
Pay isn't great, but skills learned here will lead to higher-paying jobs in the future. Great work life balance (option for compressed work schedule), lots of great benefits and very motivated and intelligent work environment.
that I have had over six years of experience in Automation Test script Developme I have had experience in both manual and automated testing
QA Engineer (Former Employee), Washington, DCMay 14, 2014
that I have had over six years of experience in Automation Test script Development. I have had experience in both manual and automated testing of web based applications as well as client server applications. In my QA carrier I have worked on different Operating Systems such as windows XP, Windows, Unix and few others. I have done test developed in C++, – more... Java and Visual Basic. A Few testing tools I believe I have extensive experience that would be QC/ALM(11.00) and QTP(9.52,10.00,11.00)/UFT(11.50). And I have done a lot of different tests using these Testing Tools, some of them are Smoke Testing, Functional Testing, Black Box Testing, Integration Testing, Regression Testing ,UAT (User Acceptance Testing) Testing and so many others. And other than that I have also done a lot of back-end testing using SQL Query. So few of the databases that I have worked on are Oracle, Sql Server and Microsoft Access. – less
dealing with different matters
Judge's Secretary (Former Employee), Johannesburg, GPApril 30, 2014
Typical day at work was when i have to deal with difficult Advocate, members of the public who dont understand the procudure of the court

I have learned to deal with different matters, investigate, and allocate lost files

With my co-workers we were like a family able to assist each other well, the communication was good between us more special becuase – more... the Judges with communicate with us through Clerks

I have learned to work underpressure and to be patient due to the nature of my position having to deal with criminal cases

The harderst part of the job is when i have to lockoff late and have to work at night doing urgent matters

To learn new things everyday, the responsibility i was given to, the benefit and not forget working hours – less
Interesting place to work
Executive Assistant to Director of Prosecutions (Former Employee), Brisbane Central Business District, QLDApril 24, 2014
Pros: interesting cases
Cons: some very sad cases
shorthand, typing, telephones, preparation of court documents. Excellent co-workers. Director was wonderful to work with.
Good place to work for learning the legal system.
Paralegal (Former Employee), Washington, DCApril 22, 2014
I worked as a Paralegal at Justice and loved working there. I enjoyed the staff and learned a lot from the attorneys.
productive and fun workplace
Secretary to the Chief Magistrate (Current Employee), Mthatha, ECApril 10, 2014
Pros: festivities, end year parties
Cons: overtime working on weekends
Department of Justice is a fun workplace to be.
I am saying this because when I started here in 2002 I had Matric and 2 year certificate in General secretary from a private college.
It was my first time being in a court or working closely with lawyers.
As it is a well known factor that Department of Justice is the department that is responisible for – more... development of all legislations that we have in South Africa. This means that somewhere somehow all government departments we have in here in South Africa. That makes one to be interested more in knowing what is happening in South Africa in terms of Law and that is the reason why I ended up registering with the University of South Africa to study law.
I am working closely with Magistrates and I take minutes in their meetings it is difficult to have proper records of minutes of you do not have knowledge or maybe basics of what is being discussed so you have to expand yourself in your work by doing research and volunteering your time assisting in other sections so that you have more knowledge about the department or office you are working for.
Management is fair and always willing to listen. Most of them always show signs of leadership. In 2011 and 2012 we had so many bereavements in our office. Our Director General together with the Regional Head Eastern Cape organised an event for our office where they organised motivational speakers and psychologist because then our production was low because death of our more than 13 colleagues affected us. – less
Typical Federal Government Workplace
Computer Specialist (Former Employee), Washington, DCApril 8, 2014
Pros: pretty easygoing work environment
Cons: most developer tools were free tools, like eclipse.
My co-workers made working more interesting. I learned Java SE and Java Swing while I worked there. I dabbled with Java EE, but I was asked to develop desktop Java applications, so my experience is mostly with Swing.
The place was indeed nice and enjoying the work.and enjoying worj\king as group
Casual Court Interpreter (Former Employee), Mpumalanga, ZNApril 3, 2014
Pros: 1 hour
Cons: 5 hours
I did enjoy my my work.it has tought me many things.eg.that i had to be partiant to every people especialy clients and we had to excecise batho pele principle[ people first ]I had to interprete corectly in court.I had to speak defferent languages spoken by the Magistrate.witnesess.the accused and after court ihad to record chargeshert in to the criminak – more... record book for court proceedind of the following dayI did enjoy working with my co .workers as i indicated in my cv that iam a team worker and i can also manage A GROUP.The hardest part about my work was that sometime i had to knock off at work at around 20H00 if the they is small clime court. – less
WORKING AS ADMINISTRATOR AT THIS TIME WAS SO MUCH FUN
ADMINISTRATION CLERK (Former Employee), Johannesburg, GPMarch 26, 2014
PEOPLE OR MY MANGER WAS SO HELPFUL BECAUSE SHE TAUGHT ME A LOT ABOUT BEING AN ADMINISTRATOR AND I AM SO GRATEFUL TODAY THAT I KNOW HOW TO WORK AS AN ADMINISTRATOR EVEN THOUGH I AM NOW A CRIME INTELLIGENT OFFICER.
VERY ECO FRIENDLY ENVIRONMENT THAT I WORK IN
STATE ACCOUNTANT (Current Employee), Nelspruit, MPMarch 19, 2014
Pros: have enough time to break and chat some more with colleagues
Cons: putting extra hours for me has not been a bad thing i like very much to work
I LIKE THE ENVIRONMENT THAT I WORK IN NOW. I HAVE CREATED FOR MYSELF A SPACE THAT IS WELCOMING TO MY COLLEAGUES. I ENJOY BEING IN THIS POSITION IT HAS TAUGHT ME A LOT OF THING AND MORE ESPECIALLY MY SUPERVISOR, SHE IS THE BEST YOU CAN HAVE. A VERY NICE SUPERVISOR TO WORK WITH AND NOT THAT THE PREVIOUS SUPERVISORS WERE BAD THEY WERE AS WELCOMING. WORK – more... WILL ALWAYS BE AVAILABLE THE HARDEST PART IS TO BE UNDER CAPACITATED, THOUGH WE WORK AND WE ARE TRYING TO BALANCE AND WE WILL EVENTUALLY BALANCES ONE STEP AT A TIME. – less
I had learned how to be timekeeper and was responsible for receiving the checks daily and input on the system
Department of Justice (Former Employee), Washington, DCMarch 18, 2014
Pros: lunch only for one hour
Cons: no comments
I was a disabled person as a deaf employee and had been working with hearing co-workers and supervisors for over 30 years. I had the hardest part of the job was to process the time and attendance reports for 50 employees. I had the most enjoyable part of the job is working on the computer system for accounting.
Hard working and enjoy taking initiatives
Assistant Director (Current Employee), Pretoria, GPMarch 12, 2014
Pros: given projects and be given time to complete them
Cons: not being given platform to display my talent
The best interesting thing about my job is the freedom given to the employees on how they execute their duties. The support provided to team members. The employer also rewards the best performwnce especially if the team managed to achieve business and operational plan.
the only set back is that there is no succession plan and retention strategy. I learned – more... that much can be acheived through team efforts.
The hardest part is to make senior management acknoledge the challenges experienced at operational level.
the most enjoyable part of my job is when i see that i put a smile in a person and the client is happy with my service. – less

1 2 3 4 5