Department Of Health

Department Of Health Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
focused,dedicated and hardworking
labour relations intern (Former Employee), Rustenburg, NWMay 5, 2014
Pros: workshops
most likely to focus on decided cases and learn more about grievances and disciplinary cases and finding ways to resolve disputes

I am a people's person a lady with a smile and big hard

interact with management well

hardest part will be seeing people crying during hearings

I really enjoy doing what is right and resolving disputes and correcting – more... bad conduct – less
Serving the residents of the District of Columbia who was HIV positive
Adolescent Screening Specialist (Former Employee), Washington, DCMay 3, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: low morale
During my early year of working for the agency we serviced the public by attending all Health Fairs.

The agency totally moved aware from servicing the public and bring awareness to the public regarding at risk behavior and the dangers of at risk behavior. It became more about politic than the cause itself, the Administrator position was a revolving – more... door along with Prevention and Intervention Services Division. Each year there was a new Administrator and Chief of Prevention. Each came with new idea's which allow the agency to be further and further from the public and servicing the public.

This is why the numbers in the District of Columbia was higher than a third world country.

If, the agency could get back to servicing the clients & the public it and stop making it a step stone of recognition. – less
Medical disability examiner (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLMay 1, 2014
Pros: pay was good
Cons: a lot of hard word
A fast paced work environment. Stressful at times, but I was new at reading medical records. Management and Coworkers were very helpful and cooperative. The most difficult part of the job was taking the customers daily activities by phone instead of having them mail in the applications. The best part was issuing disabilitiy allowances and checks.
Very productive and fast paced environment
Clerical Associate (Former Employee), El Dorado, ARMay 1, 2014
Pros: meet new people
Cons: advancement
I enjoyed working for the Department of Health because everyday I got to do what I loved to do and that was help people. Like any job you have moments, but knowing that I could provide great courteous customer service to the public and calm them when they were worried made every moment worth it. I learned patience, how to handle situations that easily – more... got out of hand, but most of all I worked with a great group of people who appreciated my hard work. The hardest part of the job, was when a mother would come in after losing a baby and was seeking help anywhere they could, and there was nothing you could do to console them in that moment, but you did any and everything in your power to try. – less
Low pressure atmosphere, nice doctors and nurses
LVN/ Researcher, Scheduler (Former Employee), Elk Grove California and Ione CaliforniaApril 30, 2014
Pros: just knowing we make a difference in the lives of others was enough
Cons: sometimes we had a lot of resistance from the department itself.
The overall rating of the Department was very good. We had a tremendous work load to get done and we all pulled together as a team to accomplish a great deal.
My management day was gathering statistics from the data base and working with the other researchers and doctors to find similarities in our data. We then collated the information into sub-groups – more... for study.
The toughest part of our job was deciding on the data.
Our project was to find out why our inmates had a higher incident of illness than the general indigenous population around the prison. This serious health concern was very important to our overall function of the clinic system and the medical treatment of our clients. The Centers for Disease Control worked with us to solve many issues in our prison system with the containment of disease. Treatment and process were defined by our findings. Real change was instituted in the medical treatment of our inmates which gave all of us a great deal of satisfaction. All people receive the level of care required for their issues. – less
when we do monthly visits to the districts
Senior Information Officer (Current Employee), Cape Town, WCApril 30, 2014
Cons: when we do our depaertmental monitoring and evaluation preparations
i manage 4 people in my team, we will have a meeting every morning to rec=view what we did yesterday and the way forward
Human Resource Officer (Current Employee), East London, ECApril 24, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: 1 hour
Performance of a compliance check, to ensure that the client has adhered to all statutory requirements and regulations, regarding the preparation, maintenance and submission of various reports as per the requirements of Treasury and other applicable statute. The compliance check would also ensure that compliance regarding the safety standards regarding – more... the working condition of employees and general environment is met.

To build constructive relationships and liaison with both internal and external stakeholders, maintain independence and ensure cost- effective quality service to all clients and stakeholders. – less
Lovely
Volunteer Work (Former Employee), Trenton, NJApril 19, 2014
Working in a office was very new to me, but once I got adjusted within the few minutes I was there, people were saying I should come work there permanently.
Work Oriented
CIVIL ENGINEER II (Former Employee), PhilippinesApril 16, 2014
Pros: enough salary
Cons: god benefits
I enjoy my work for I am dedicated with it. I love to finish the task that has given to me in time with quality.
productive
Data Capturer (Volunteer) (Former Employee), Phalaborwa, LPApril 16, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: long distance
My day started from 07h00 to 16h00 hours Monday to Fridays only. Even though I was volunteering, it was my first ever job that I saw myself waking up every morning going to work.

My management team was supporting and encouraging to me all the time. We still have a good relationship even though I left the Department.

What I enjoyed most was the part – more... that I initially volunteered to be a Typist, but I ended up doing more than that and as a result I learned more and gained valuable experience during my time at the facility. – less
very comfortable work enviornment
Data entry of client information (Former Employee), baltimoreApril 14, 2014
i enjoyed working with the staff. the work place was not at all stressful, and management was organized and always willing to help.
challenging and fullfilling
Pharmacy Manager (Current Employee), Johannesburg, GPApril 13, 2014
Pros: direct impact on patients wellbeing, challenging, cultural work enviroment, fullfilling, sense of worth.
Cons: work enviroment is old and unclean, staff attitude, resistance to change, no remuneration.
a typical day is extremely busy, usually putting out fires. there is still alot to be done in the public health sector and more professional are needed in order to bring about this change. the staff can be difficult in that it is difficult to change someone who has been doing that very same thing for over twenty years. however my staff and i have learnt – more... how to work together and thus the pharmacy has thrived. the hardest part of my job is not being remunerated for all the work that i have put in which is why i am looking for a new post. also stable senior management is needed in order to complete tasks. iv always said it is not difficult to work in the public sector, in fact the systems are relatively easy to work with. however a definite mind set change is needed. – less
Good Place to work if you want to make a difference in the lives of others.
Health Service Representative (Current Employee), Tampa, FlApril 11, 2014
Pros: good benefits (health, and retirement)
Cons: low salary, not much room for advancement.
No day is ever the same, each day presents its own unique problems and issues that need to be addressed. Working at the Department of Health has increased my skills in case management, along with time management.
formal and busy workplace
office admin (Former Employee), Pretoria, GPApril 11, 2014
-working with patients was not easy at the beggining because they fight always and but i had to comply with batho pele principles.
-I had no experience at all so i decided to volunteer,i learned to work independently and all office duties,data capture,ms word,exel,e mail,internet,pa,
-management was very strict but i was doing my job very well and with – more... no complaints against me.
-working with people of my age was difficult as most of admin were youth but i learned be disciplined and assertive and with team work spirit
-working with sick people,critically injured people was very hard becouse i had to motivate them and encourage them not show them that am afraid.
-when did my excelent job patient will come on a later stage to compliment and also the management will compliment me – less
Productive and a very fun workplace
Administration Clerk (Intern) (Current Employee), Cape Town, WCApril 10, 2014
My daily routine at work is coming in on time and checking emails before starting with anything respond to the problem and requested emails solve problems as soon as possible and responding.
I have learned how to deal with difficult people solve problems filling and keeping all your work up to date and finishing reports on time.
My co-workers if my – more... second home working together as a team and getting too know one another. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you have accomplished what you had to do and giving good reports in and correct information or data. – less
Dedicated to my work. Loyal and honest
Technical Adviser (Current Employee), Port MoresbyApril 10, 2014
Pros: lunch
Cons: 8 hours a day
Every day I go to work (Monday - Friday) and leared alot about the job which I am currently on as it is a very challenging job. My job involve travelling and this inspired me to understand the vision and mission of the organization.

The management of the department is good as they are good leaders who can think and make decision.

My coworkers are – more... good and we all work together to achieve our goals.

I have no hardest part of my job as it is my field. I am always keen to work as a tea girl or cleaner when I see my office dirty.

I enjoy working with consultants as they bring in new ideas and also enjoy travelling as I learned alot from the rural than the city. – less
challenging and must have facts
Human Resource Officer (Current Employee), Newcastle, ZNApril 8, 2014
Pros: job security
Cons: you work so hard and put all your effort but there is no recgnition and there is lack of promotion
An agree employee went to staff relations office to complain that I did not implement her Pay Progression (performance money) then my co workers informed me that there is a case that has been launched against me and the managent is also aware of there compalint, Then staff relations came to me to enquire about the complaint. I was shocked but then i – more... took out the file of the employee to find out what happend.
I checked I found out that the employee does not qualify because she was still on probation and you have to wait for two years in order to qualify. what I have learned is that most of the employees does not read what is written on their appointment letters and its our responsibility to inform them with the procedure because if they see that others are getting money and they will assume they also qualify. but I called that employee I explained to her showed her the policy and I also explained to her lines of communication because she was supposed to come to me first to find out why she did not get the money before taking the matter to staff relations. She understood and apologies. I gave the feedback to management and they were impressed because i was not there one who made a mistake.

The most hardest part with my job is that you must be aware of all the policies and legislation because it is easy to make mistake if you are not aware of the latest circulars.
There most enjoyable part of my jobs you always learn new things you and you became confident even if staff comes to you for inforation you know what to say because you are always on top of your game. – less
I like my job. I would like to work in the Eastern Cape, because of family that are there.
Senior Administration Clerk (Current Employee), Bloemfontein, FSApril 7, 2014
Pros: medical aid, pension fund, home allowance.
Cons: struggling to get working equipment and stock that are not available due to lack of money.
1. Check if everybody is on duty.
2. Take out leave forms for staff that is not on duty.
3. Do the admin of patients who were discharged the previous day.
4. Take out milk for babies who need donor breast milk.
5. Do the ordering of stock for the ward for the day.
6. Make sure all records are up to date.
7. Do the necessary typing work.
8. Go to meetings, – more... take minutes and do the typing of the minutes.
9. Handle all enquiries about patients. – less
Very Productive and the growth as employee was always possible
Human Resource Practitioner (Former Employee), Pietermaritzburg, ZNApril 6, 2014
Pros: appreciation was the order of the day
Cons: working on weekends
When i received an appontment as a permanent staff and it was a promotion appoint and that topped it all.

I have learnt to many things but one of the most significant highlight of my time in this department was the effort some of the individuals put when performing tasks.

My supervisor while i was the Personal Assistant was one of the best Manager. – more... He was a Medical Practitioner but was always willing to learn all aspect in the unit he was heading.

We all worked as a team as if the department was only thing in our lives.

It was organise for the Ministerial events as they were so politically inclined

It was to organise provincial gatherings and get appreciated by all. – less
The job is no longer challenging
Senior Admin Officer: Security and Risk (Current Employee), Driekop, LPApril 6, 2014
most activities you introduce and implement at the early stage of the appointment then the rest is reviews.

the interesting part is investigations and trainings