Department Of Health

Department Of Health Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Challenging
Security Officer Manager (Current Employee), Bloemfontein, FSMarch 18, 2014
Pros: team building sessions
Cons: lack of resources
Lack of resources which affects production at work and one has to use his/her own discretion and to think out of the box. The team spirit makes the work easier and the colleagues are corporative. The management is supportive and they try their level best to solve the problems that we encounter on daily basis at work
Dedicated to ensuring that children received the help that was necessary
Public Records Aide (Former Employee), Bronx, NYMarch 13, 2014
Pros: knowingthat my work was a positive contribution
I enjoyed being a part of a team of peers that were focused on improving the vision and hearing of school aged children.
Innovative
Health Promotion Practitioner (Current Employee), Kroonstad, FSMarch 9, 2014
Pros: getting to interact with different people everyday, never a dale moment
Cons: limited resources
Typical day at work
Sign in and go out to work in the field

Things still get done even though there is limited resources, like transport constraints.

Co-workers
Fun and a joy to work with

Hardest part of the job
Expected to initiate project with no budget and resources, it gets very frustrating at times

Most enjoyable part
Seeing the – more... change you have made in peoples live, priceless – less
Workplace
Social Auxiliary Worker Internship (Former Employee), Pietermaritzburg, ZNMarch 7, 2014
Pros: learn to assist others in community development
Cons: i am always at risk
Doris Goodwin Hosspital is situated in Pietermaritzburg just behind the Edendale mall.It is a speciased MDR-TB Hospital.
- My typical day at work at 7:30 am I assume my duties at by signing the register. Then go to the social services ofiice for the debriefing and quick meeting.8:00 am I go to the wards for the ward routine.The hospital has 5 wards,being – more... two for males,two for women and one for children's ward.In the wardswe do life skills talks with patients.eg. social grants,teenage pregnancy,self descipline,budgeting,linking the discharge patients with DOTS supporters,follow up cases,support groups and home visits where neccessary. I work up until four 4:00 o'clock.
- what I've leant is puntuality,listining dkills,conflict management,communication with the small and large group of people and I also leaned that I empathyse not sympathise with the case I came across.
- I report to my surpervisor(social worker) who report directly to the hospital manager.
- My co-workers:We work as multy-disciplinary team consisting of a Social Services Derpatment,Dietatics,Nursing stuff,Radiology,Phamacy,Human Resources,Finance,Labour Relations,Administration,Stores,Laundry and Housekeeping.
- The hardest part of my job is the risk involves,as the hospital is an MDR-TB infected patients.These are infectiouse deaseses of which I am exposed to.Dealing with patients with behavioral problems.eg. being manipulative,incorrect information they give which makes a challenge when they die in hospital or makes it difficult to be linked with their area DOTS supportes if they are discharge.Other patients are being abandoned by their families and patients get re-admitted of defaulting the treatment.
- The most enjoyable part of the job:The fulfilment I have seeing patients fully recovering,seeing patients being visited familiesand friends and to hear a patient saying thank you for the job well done. – less
productive, developing but a stressing workplace
Senior Personnel Officer (Former Employee), Klerksdorp, NWMarch 7, 2014
Pros: banking hour and afternoon offs are offered
Cons: more workload and less appointment of hr officials
management style is autocratic. there are no leaders only managers. management is not supportive. has hardworking team of emloyees but that which are not paid accordingly. the most enjoyable part is development in terms of inservice training.
Productive and challenging
SUPPLY OFFICER (Current Employee), ZNMarch 4, 2014
I've learned not to underestimate myself, I was asked by my Supervisor to attend BAC meeting and I had to take minutes for the first time. Everything went very well and even today I am still the Secretary of BAC team.
My management is very much supportive, inside and outside the working area.
The most enjoyable moment is when the End-user is phoning – more... me after receiving the stock, especially the items that are used for patient care.

I work for an Institution that serves 19 clinics under it, 15 surrounding clinics and 4 mobile clinics.

Thank you! – less
Friendly Inviromental workplace
Senior Administrative Clerk (Current Employee), Upington, NCMarch 4, 2014
Cons: from 07:00 untill 16:00
Most of the days i am busy at work.
Our Management team are very helpfull and friendly
My co-workers and i working nicely with each other together and helpfull to each other.
To tell a supplier that there are no money to pay them.
To work at the finance department
Relaxed environment
Technology Support Specialist II & III (Current Employee), washington dcFebruary 27, 2014
Pros: friendly environment
Cons: slow environment
Slow pace great environment.The management is annoying at times.
My working environment is very demanding and extremely busy. As the Administration Clerk, I am working with all Units. It is not easy, but I am coping
ADMINISTRATION CLERK (Current Employee), Polokwane, LPFebruary 27, 2014
Pros: lunch is at 13:00 - 14:00
Cons: i oftenly work long hours without compensation and now i am used to it since is occuring every week.
A typical day at work
- Would be when every division within the Pharmaceutical Depot, bring their own duty/responsibilities to me to do it for them when they go out for refreshment or just being there in the Office browsing the internet, whilew my own work stack and meeting with the deadlines and having no one to help me out.

What I have Learned
- – more... I have learned to do my work/responsibilities on time so that when the need to assist others arise find me ready and prepared to carry on with the team.

- The management, seems to be disorganised per se. With the lack of the Senior Manager in our Division, a lot of thing are stack and people do as they please, if you are in the lower Position like myself, you are cought in the unfortunate sit,being less payed with more Job to do and being preasurerised by your senior saying that, colleaques if you are stacked in your Office Call him he will releve you......forgeting your Job discription.

My - Co-Workers
- All of them are qualified Pharmacists - and all they do is to gossip when I enter the office they keep quite, no more talking, but the very same people are the ones who also comes back to me and demand not asking me to help them with their Job, but demanding me to do their Job given the Authority by Sister Boss.

The Hardest Part of the Job
- It is very hard to manage my activities and their activities at ones. Especially on Wednesdays and Thursday where I have to generate the invites and book venues for Pharmacist Assistants, Pharmacist Interns and Community Service Pharmacist Induction Workshops, Meetings, Conferences, Classes and the Assessment as requested.

The enjoyable Part of the Job

- I enjoy doing my work because I normally do and finish my Office Activities in the Morning so that I can be able to attend other activities being free later. – less
productive, enjoy professional growth
Assistant director: training coordination (Current Employee), Cape Town, WCFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: opportunities for growth
Cons: burocracy
I enjoy professional growth the job offers, there are lots to learn. I do think burocracy is still preventing progression of unit and hindering more effective service delivery. I coordinate training on daily basis and are involved with management activities of the training centre as well as interaction with stakeholders relevant to the training centre.
Productive and Innovative
Chief Registry Clerk (Current Employee), Polokwane, LPFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: overtime
Cons: staff shortage
Working with Records in the Department of Health was challenging as it was introduced in 2005 and we were the first people to work without any training but the department ensured that we were given workshops and training ,so together with team work we were able to achieve.

The most enjoyable part most was when we were giving other staff members information – more... about using reference numbers when creating documents and Paia in taking care of Records and not destroying them.

The Best Practice Model also was one of the highlights as it made easy for us to restructure and filling system – less
Suppot to fellow collegues is necessary
Senior SCM practitioner (Former Employee), Bloemfontein, FSFebruary 23, 2014
Pros: learning new things
Cons: lot of travelling
Typical day at work : One would normally be busy having meeting with propective suppliers to explain bid documents,

i have learned that hardwork pay.

Management ; In order for one to progress always put extra efforts

Co -worker ; To give the support and encouragement.

The hardest part : follow-up if institutions did not submit reports

most enjoyable – more... part ; Travelling around province – less
fun, challenging and a good learning place
Administrative clerk / data Capturer (Current Employee), Cape Town, WCFebruary 20, 2014
Pros: not applicable
Cons: not applicable
Every day is a fun day, which present opportunity to learn continuously in terms of life skill, confidentiality, team work, respect and problem solving. the management has faith in employees which result in encouraging in terms of continuous education, co-worker are very friendly, tolerant and loving. liaising with patients and clients.
PRODUCTIVE AND FUN WORKING PLACE
SECRETARY (Current Employee), Johannesburg, GPFebruary 20, 2014
Pros: compliments
Cons: overtime
A VERY BUSY DAY SOMETIMES WITH NO LUNCH IN BETWEEN
I HAVE LEARNED THAT PEOPLE NEED TO BE GIVEN FIRST PREFERENCES AND GOOD SERVICE TO BE DELIVERED IN TIME.
MANAGEMENT RESPONDING TO ALL THE MATTERS ARISING IN THE DEPARTMENT.
GOOD RELATION AND TEAM BUILDING WITH MY CO-WORKERS
HARDEST PART OF THE JOB IS WHEN DEALING WITH DIFFICULT PEOPLE
WORKING TOGETHER – more... AS A TEAM AND DELIVERING IN TIME WHERE PEOPLE WILL BE HAPPY FOR OUR SERVICES. – less
Still under development
Asset Controller/Administrative officer (Current Employee), Johannesburg South, GPFebruary 20, 2014
Pros: learning everyday
Cons: lack of support from middle management
In the absence of an Asset manager a day begins with planning for the day and how to execute the duties at hand effectively, efficiently in order to ensure service delivery.
I've learned to be a team player since we perform our duties without a manager who must give strategic direction. At times you have to be self reliant in order to get some of the – more... tasks accomplished.
Not all people have same strengths but our differences completes each individual towards the realisation of the ultimate goal.
the hardest part is to work without a Manager for a long period of time.
Most enjoyable part is doing what fulfils me.Making the difference and adding values to the public service. – less
What I learnt
SENIOR FINANCIAL PRACTITIONER (Credito Payments) (Current Employee), Port Elizabeth, ECFebruary 19, 2014
Pros: people skills
Cons: overtime
I have learnt to be patient with people. Each and every individual is unique and has got something to offer. Each person has got strong points and weaknesses, one needs to focus on the strong points and motivate a person on his or her weaknesses.

People in general are unique and have got interesting characters.
Opportunity to meaningfully impact resident's of DC.
Program Coordinator (Former Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 12, 2014
Opportunity to impact lives of DC residents and learn from working on many different projects.
Very inspiring place to work
Design Intern (Current Employee), MDFebruary 10, 2014
Pros: flexible work schedule
Those involved in the department are driven and dedicated to the betterment of the people they care for.
Satisfactory
Medical Specialist III (Former Employee), Cebu City, P07February 4, 2014
Pros: meeting with program implementors and identifying gaps/problems and solutions
Cons: when it is do hard to make changes in order to improve
Supervises nurse coordinator and computer programmer/encoder for health information to come up with timely and accurate quarterly and annual vital statistics.
Supervision and team work.
Management is supportive.
Mentoring and knowledge sharing with my staff and fellow program coordinators.
Transferring knowledge and developing skills on data analysis – more... and specifically recruit fellow co-worker to be interested in medical research.
When you have conducted and met the objectives of the training/seminar/activities and getting positive results/expectations from the participants. – less
Good working and friendly staff
SEN ADMIN CLERK (FINANCE AND PROCUREMENT (Current Employee), Port Elizabeth, ECJanuary 31, 2014
I arrived at Half 7, see which work needs priority
I do my work every day
Consult with my supervisor if I'm not sure about certain work
Attend meeting the are any meeting on the particular day
Socials with my coleagues during lunch time
Enjoying to see everyone happy