Department Of Health

Department Of Health Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
very comfortable work enviornment
Data entry of client information (Former Employee), baltimoreApril 14, 2014
i enjoyed working with the staff. the work place was not at all stressful, and management was organized and always willing to help.
challenging and fullfilling
Pharmacy Manager (Current Employee), Johannesburg, GPApril 13, 2014
Pros: direct impact on patients wellbeing, challenging, cultural work enviroment, fullfilling, sense of worth.
Cons: work enviroment is old and unclean, staff attitude, resistance to change, no remuneration.
a typical day is extremely busy, usually putting out fires. there is still alot to be done in the public health sector and more professional are needed in order to bring about this change. the staff can be difficult in that it is difficult to change someone who has been doing that very same thing for over twenty years. however my staff and i have learnt – more... how to work together and thus the pharmacy has thrived. the hardest part of my job is not being remunerated for all the work that i have put in which is why i am looking for a new post. also stable senior management is needed in order to complete tasks. iv always said it is not difficult to work in the public sector, in fact the systems are relatively easy to work with. however a definite mind set change is needed. – less
Good Place to work if you want to make a difference in the lives of others.
Health Service Representative (Current Employee), Tampa, FlApril 11, 2014
Pros: good benefits (health, and retirement)
Cons: low salary, not much room for advancement.
No day is ever the same, each day presents its own unique problems and issues that need to be addressed. Working at the Department of Health has increased my skills in case management, along with time management.
formal and busy workplace
office admin (Former Employee), Pretoria, GPApril 11, 2014
-working with patients was not easy at the beggining because they fight always and but i had to comply with batho pele principles.
-I had no experience at all so i decided to volunteer,i learned to work independently and all office duties,data capture,ms word,exel,e mail,internet,pa,
-management was very strict but i was doing my job very well and with – more... no complaints against me.
-working with people of my age was difficult as most of admin were youth but i learned be disciplined and assertive and with team work spirit
-working with sick people,critically injured people was very hard becouse i had to motivate them and encourage them not show them that am afraid.
-when did my excelent job patient will come on a later stage to compliment and also the management will compliment me – less
Productive and a very fun workplace
Administration Clerk (Intern) (Current Employee), Cape Town, WCApril 10, 2014
My daily routine at work is coming in on time and checking emails before starting with anything respond to the problem and requested emails solve problems as soon as possible and responding.
I have learned how to deal with difficult people solve problems filling and keeping all your work up to date and finishing reports on time.
My co-workers if my – more... second home working together as a team and getting too know one another. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you have accomplished what you had to do and giving good reports in and correct information or data. – less
Dedicated to my work. Loyal and honest
Technical Adviser (Current Employee), Port MoresbyApril 10, 2014
Pros: lunch
Cons: 8 hours a day
Every day I go to work (Monday - Friday) and leared alot about the job which I am currently on as it is a very challenging job. My job involve travelling and this inspired me to understand the vision and mission of the organization.

The management of the department is good as they are good leaders who can think and make decision.

My coworkers are – more... good and we all work together to achieve our goals.

I have no hardest part of my job as it is my field. I am always keen to work as a tea girl or cleaner when I see my office dirty.

I enjoy working with consultants as they bring in new ideas and also enjoy travelling as I learned alot from the rural than the city. – less
challenging and must have facts
Human Resource Officer (Current Employee), Newcastle, ZNApril 8, 2014
Pros: job security
Cons: you work so hard and put all your effort but there is no recgnition and there is lack of promotion
An agree employee went to staff relations office to complain that I did not implement her Pay Progression (performance money) then my co workers informed me that there is a case that has been launched against me and the managent is also aware of there compalint, Then staff relations came to me to enquire about the complaint. I was shocked but then i – more... took out the file of the employee to find out what happend.
I checked I found out that the employee does not qualify because she was still on probation and you have to wait for two years in order to qualify. what I have learned is that most of the employees does not read what is written on their appointment letters and its our responsibility to inform them with the procedure because if they see that others are getting money and they will assume they also qualify. but I called that employee I explained to her showed her the policy and I also explained to her lines of communication because she was supposed to come to me first to find out why she did not get the money before taking the matter to staff relations. She understood and apologies. I gave the feedback to management and they were impressed because i was not there one who made a mistake.

The most hardest part with my job is that you must be aware of all the policies and legislation because it is easy to make mistake if you are not aware of the latest circulars.
There most enjoyable part of my jobs you always learn new things you and you became confident even if staff comes to you for inforation you know what to say because you are always on top of your game. – less
I like my job. I would like to work in the Eastern Cape, because of family that are there.
Senior Administration Clerk (Current Employee), Bloemfontein, FSApril 7, 2014
Pros: medical aid, pension fund, home allowance.
Cons: struggling to get working equipment and stock that are not available due to lack of money.
1. Check if everybody is on duty.
2. Take out leave forms for staff that is not on duty.
3. Do the admin of patients who were discharged the previous day.
4. Take out milk for babies who need donor breast milk.
5. Do the ordering of stock for the ward for the day.
6. Make sure all records are up to date.
7. Do the necessary typing work.
8. Go to meetings, – more... take minutes and do the typing of the minutes.
9. Handle all enquiries about patients. – less
Very Productive and the growth as employee was always possible
Human Resource Practitioner (Former Employee), Pietermaritzburg, ZNApril 6, 2014
Pros: appreciation was the order of the day
Cons: working on weekends
When i received an appontment as a permanent staff and it was a promotion appoint and that topped it all.

I have learnt to many things but one of the most significant highlight of my time in this department was the effort some of the individuals put when performing tasks.

My supervisor while i was the Personal Assistant was one of the best Manager. – more... He was a Medical Practitioner but was always willing to learn all aspect in the unit he was heading.

We all worked as a team as if the department was only thing in our lives.

It was organise for the Ministerial events as they were so politically inclined

It was to organise provincial gatherings and get appreciated by all. – less
The job is no longer challenging
Senior Admin Officer: Security and Risk (Current Employee), Driekop, LPApril 6, 2014
most activities you introduce and implement at the early stage of the appointment then the rest is reviews.

the interesting part is investigations and trainings
This was a job to make ends meet
Medical Disability Specialist (Former Employee), Orlando, FLApril 3, 2014
Pros: independence
Cons: favoring other employees
The culture was very bad, and policies and procedures changed constantly.
Good learning environment
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), PortugalMarch 31, 2014
Pros: free uniforms, shoe allowance and subsidied child care
Cons: unpaid overtime
I did all my practical training as a nurse with support and supervision of qualified tutors and all other trained staff
Fun workplace but has its peaks and lows.
Labour Relations Officer (Current Employee), Kimberley, NCMarch 31, 2014
Pros: always room for acquisition of more knowledge. growth is inevitable.
Cons: gives one sometimes a bad name and exposes one to threats, and safety is sometimes compromised especially when employees are dismissed.
A typical day at work is characterised by administration, keeping up to date with case law by research, discussion of cases with colleagues and developments in the Labour Relations field in South Africa.

It is always a learning day in Labour Relations as practices or new judgment from e.g Labour court or Labour appeal court etc.

The colleagues are – more... great to work with as they bring different personalities and ways of doing things which is quite interesting.

hardest part of the job is taking decisions only for those decisions to be ignored or overlooked without your input. Giving advice which will not be taken into consideration. Being compelled at times to charge even if there are no grounds to do that. Defending the employer on things that should have been resolved amicably between parties and being viewed as a failure if you lose such cases.

Just doing Labour Relations in general is very exciting and enjoyable especially if you deal with people that also know what you doing and or talking about. I personally enjoy giving advice, and conducting information sessions. – less
productive
chief accounting clerk (Current Employee), Polokwane, LPMarch 27, 2014
Pros: lucrative benefits
ive learned to interact well and harmoniously with fellow colleagues and suppliers.
towards financial year end ita a bit stressful as we supposed capture all outstanding payments but because of team work we always manage to complete the task.
Workplace
Mr (Current Employee), Kimberley, NCMarch 25, 2014
Most hectic days are admission days, where patients are to be prepared for theatre the following day.
That working under pressure with helps you see things clearly
Management fail to off load employees by getting locums for absent employees and creates absentism
Is to try to fill every scope of practice when working with lazy employees
Is seeing patients – more... going home or discharged in a clinically stable condition and well orientated especially those that undergone amputations – less
Leaned Something New
Office Clerk (Former Employee), Washington, DCMarch 22, 2014
Pros: got to leave the building
Cons: couldn't move around alot
Typical day go in and go to my desk and start working on the task that was on my desk.
I learned how to help people in the health field and also I learned whats it take to put together a health fair.
My manager was good, I really didn't see her that much, but when I did we got along great.
My co-workers was okay that was a little older then me but we – more... got along.
The hardest part was trying to make sure health fair was together right.
Most enjoyable part was leaving the office to go another building because I got to lean things about that building. – less
Awesome
Practitioner Reporting Data Bank- ops (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FlMarch 19, 2014
Pros: loved the people and what i did on a daily basis
Cons: it was cut by the legislator
This position was working in the practitioner reporting office. I had the best boss and supervisor. I processed public records request and data entry. It was a very pleasant we all got along and enjoyed what we did.
Challenging
Security Officer Manager (Current Employee), Bloemfontein, FSMarch 18, 2014
Pros: team building sessions
Cons: lack of resources
Lack of resources which affects production at work and one has to use his/her own discretion and to think out of the box. The team spirit makes the work easier and the colleagues are corporative. The management is supportive and they try their level best to solve the problems that we encounter on daily basis at work
Dedicated to ensuring that children received the help that was necessary
Public Records Aide (Former Employee), Bronx, NYMarch 13, 2014
Pros: knowingthat my work was a positive contribution
I enjoyed being a part of a team of peers that were focused on improving the vision and hearing of school aged children.
Innovative
Health Promotion Practitioner (Current Employee), Kroonstad, FSMarch 9, 2014
Pros: getting to interact with different people everyday, never a dale moment
Cons: limited resources
Typical day at work
Sign in and go out to work in the field

Things still get done even though there is limited resources, like transport constraints.

Co-workers
Fun and a joy to work with

Hardest part of the job
Expected to initiate project with no budget and resources, it gets very frustrating at times

Most enjoyable part
Seeing the – more... change you have made in peoples live, priceless – less