Department Of Health

Department Of Health Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
its a school of excellence that prepares you for leadership
Senior Admin Clerk (Current Employee), Krugersdorp, GPJanuary 8, 2014
Pros: team buildings
Cons: short lunch
It is a department that is very broad and very challenging.
I learned that you need to be level headed and be a hard worker.
if you do have a supportive management service delivery is not compromised.
We have different personalities as people but my co-workers are great to work with and respect is the most important thing.
the hardest part of the job – more... is working without enough resources to achieve our goals but with the little that we have we managed to achieve a lot.
the most enjoyable part is you build relationships with different people in different institutions.
we also have team building as departments as we work closely together. – less
great
professional nurse (Former Employee), Nelspruit, MPJanuary 6, 2014
I saw my old patients,babies, my co-workers, we were catching up about the festive. giving of 2013 report.my matron taught me how to calculate utilization rate and waiting period and how to interpret the graphs.
fun workplace
IT technician (Current Employee), Grahamstown, ECJanuary 3, 2014
Pros: work half days, on christmas eve and new years eve.
Cons: difficult users
I enjoy working for the Department, wish i can be employed permanently, my collegues are friendly.
Good work environment, too much red-tape
Clinical Nurse Practitioner (TB Co-ordinator) (Former Employee), Vryheid, ZNJanuary 2, 2014
Pros: job security
Cons: red-tape
Work environment can be improved to be better, only by removing beureacratic red-tape. It was not always easy ti implement interventions, especially where authority overlaps. Procurement is always the worse area to deal with at this department
Teachable workplace
Environmental Health Practitioner (Former Employee), Giyani, LPDecember 31, 2013
Pros: good salary
Cons: no rural allowance
It was fun having to work with different stake holders, it helped build the character in me. I was one of the youngest employee, I learned a lot from other workers not just work related but in all aspects of life
Productivity
Financial Controller (Current Employee), Johannesburg, GPDecember 20, 2013
Pros: there are oppotunities open
Cons: working hours are as set by legislature
Be able to work under pressure, strive for accuracy and always remember that you are servicing you community, need to be able to achieve departmental goals with its limited resources.
What I learned-to be Independent with my work, network, If you work hard you will be acknowledge,
Management-They are limited but they perform to the best of their ability, – more... and give support to their staff members.
Co-workers:-hard workers, energetic people, adhere to instructions given.
Hardest part of the Job-performing under pressure to keep up with time frame on a, high volume of workload,
Enjoyable part of the job-fortunately with health there are no freebies for workers, as all money used to render service to community, but it’s up to individual that you keep up you strength and moral high to survive by remembering that when you perform your result will benefit the citizen of our country.
For myself I believe u need to enjoy your work to be able to perform it well. – less
It is a good exposure working there because i have learnt a lot and i have gain a very good experiance and i have enjoyed the team spirit
Registered nurse (Current Employee), Nelspruit, MPDecember 19, 2013
Pros: paid overtime
Cons: unpaid overtime
I have enjoy my job as anurse as it is my passion to take care of sick and healthy people.I have gained a lot of experiance working in the community providing nursing care to differant people regardless of age,gender,race etc.
DOH
Office of Director (Current Employee), Washington, DCDecember 16, 2013
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
A typical day at work starts fro 8:15 a.m and ends when the job is completed.
Stable serious workplace
Clinical Technician (Current Employee), Durban, ZNDecember 3, 2013
Pros: stable enviroment to work in.
Cons: sometimes there is a shortage of spares for the equipment.
My day at work is about attending to what medical equipment has been brought at our workshop, it can be for service or repairs. It can also be new equipment that I may need to check it functionality before I can pass it to be used by the hospital.

I have learned a lot about the clinical field in this job as I had no experience in the medical equipment – more... field before i started working here.
I am also lucky to be working with a good group of technicians so makes my work a little bit easier.

The hardest part can be when there is a fault I can't repair.
The most enjoyable is the praise we get from hospital staff when we have repaired or serviced equipment that has been giving them problems. – less
Opportunity to really assist the community
Medical officer (Current Employee), GPDecember 2, 2013
Pros: academic support
Cons: poor social circumstances of patients
My experience working in public health care is not without its challenges. I worked with a dedicated and knowledgeable team. The most difficult part of the job is understanding that the advice we give our patients, may be difficult to execute due to financial constraints. From time to time one also has to deal with stock outtages. The most enjoyable – more... part was the learning experience and being able to make a difference in peoples lives. A typical day is generally a pressured environment, juggling emergencies and over a hundred patients waiting, at times waiting impatiently. – less
productive, fun,
nurse (Current Employee), Naga, P05December 1, 2013
Pros: free lunch, and fare
Cons: tiring, but its worth it
my day begins patients in the community, we gathered data regarding their concerns and illnesses, we triages patients based on their condition and gave emergency treatment. i learned to handle stress specially when patient crowd the place.doing medical mission to other areas are the exciting part of my job.
Expertise and awareness in this work is extremely needed.
Community Health Midwife (Former Employee), Tacloban, P08November 28, 2013
Pros: free lunch
Cons: healthcare
Rendering health services like routine monthly immunizations, prenatal check up, daily consultations and some health related services like circumcision.
In my line of work I realized that patience is very crucial when it comes of leading people. Since different personality needs an inclusive consideration, extended patience is absolutely necessary to – more... be able to manage with all the temperament of the public.
Having the willpower and compassion that I have for the people was a big chance for me to work with those people who are underprivileged in my community. And it was rewarding for me to know that people appreciated the help that I have provided to them. They recognize the value of the skills that you did and making you feel so commendable of the action you intended for the assistance of your fellow citizen. Therefore, all and sundry must be driven with determination and compassion in whatever field he/ she was assigned to, for you to achieved the trust and respect of your community and gradually will make you an effective health professional . – less
nice and good
registered nurse (Current Employee), Potgietersrus, LPNovember 22, 2013
Pros: skill improvements, like offering staff extra knowledge (staff development), work shops
Cons: lack of management support and guidance
there is team work, happiness and friendly staff, I have learned a lot that I did not know when I started working there, like PMTCT, ESMO, hardest part of the job is when you get patients with negative attitude towards nurses or having a bad idea or experience in their previous admissions. most enjoyable part of the work is when we work together in – more... providing quality care to patients with happy faces and smiles – less
Fun and Knowledgeable coworkers.
Office Clerk (Former Employee), New York, NYNovember 20, 2013
Pros: temp job
Cons: work expereince
This was my second job. I love to work for Dept. of Health. I learned how to become proactive in me work assignments. My boss Rose taught me well.
Fun workplace but when it comes to salary and benefits, it is just not a place to work with
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee), PhilippinesNovember 18, 2013
Pros: sports activity
Cons: delayed salary
my typical day would start to everyday report to our director to what is happening to the facility when it comes to maintenance matter and on going construction. i learned how to do and prepare all the documents we will need to execute one project. when it comes t management and co workers, i felt at home with them. the hardest part of the job is to – more... supervise my people in maintenance division when there is a calamity ahead.. the most enjoyable part of the job is when i heard good things said by the director to me. – less
not organized
Personal Assistant (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLNovember 15, 2013
Pros: paid well
Cons: no health care for my position. not willing to accomodate pregnant women!
The people I worked for rarely had their stuff together. Very unorganized. But the compensation was good!
Hard work but no advancement in terms of promotions. You stay in one position for a long time.
Monitoring and Evaluation Officer (Current Employee), Bloemfontein, FSNovember 12, 2013
Pros: you learn about public helath
Cons: long hours and driving long distances as clinics are scattered
Very busy and demanding but I enjoy my Job. Work hard to ensure that your managers are happy. I do my work to the best of my ability sometimes go the extra mile for example we currently have no Monitoring and Evaluation Tools I devised my own that addresses primary health care services. I have learned to work unsupervised, efficiently, effectively and – more... economically to achieve the PHC services.
Management is good but there is no advancement in terms of promotions and compensation.
I enjoy working with my coworkers because Monitoring and Evaluation is process that includes information management hence we are always a team.
The hardest part of the job is the long hours and no advancement in career.
The most enjoyable is visiting clinics and discovering the best practices. – less
Productive and on time...always
Senior Clerk (Former Employee), St. Petersburg, FloridaNovember 7, 2013
Pros: i help a lot of people in their jobs
Cons: i work too much...
A typical day would include constructing MS EXCEL spreadsheets to be used on a day-to-day basis; (i.e., Inventories, orders, Special Infant Formula disbursements from 6 different locations).

Most enjoyable part of the day: helping other people accomplish their tasks.
n/a
Accountant I (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLNovember 6, 2013
Pros: great benefits, great co-workers
Cons: lack of training and a lack promotions
A typical day at DOH was very busy. Each day was a learning experience. I was able to gain a great deal of experience working in this department. I believe all jobs have pro and cons, when it comes to dealing with management. I have worked with all types of management styles and it was challenging at times. I enjoyed working with my DOH family. We established – more... a bond and it was genuine. The hardest part of this job was the constant price changes and procedures. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with a great group of co-workers. – less
No staff retention strategy..
Senior Accounting Clerk (Current Employee), Polokwane, LPNovember 6, 2013
Pros: paid overtime
Cons: lack of staff
The department of health never take into consideration the level of experience one has in order to promote them. If you dont present any top-up qualification then just forget about being promoted to the next level. I worked for more than 12 years with no promotion..