Dentons Employee Reviews

Management Focused Leadership
Project Management (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 November 2017
Encourages a very us vs. them environment between lawyers and staff (all non-lawyers).
There is a lot of superfluous confidentiality under the guise of privacy and no practices or policies to support business continuity with redacted information.
Pros
A lot of resources and nice looking offices.
Cons
Staff is replaceable.
Worse mistake ever - working at this firm
Admin (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 October 2017
I should have read reviews before ever applying/accepting a job with this company.
My advice to anyone - READ the reviews, they're dead on. The only thing I can say positive about it, the pay is half decent but certainly not worth the stress. I left voluntarily, but the turn around was unbelievable in the short time I was there. Run!
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
To many to list
Don't Bother ...
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 August 2017
Overall the people are very nice. The firm is focused on growth but not supporting the infrastructure of the firm. Needs to boost employee morale which is very low. Technology is very outdated and inadequate to perform your job efficiently.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Management needs an overhaul from top down
Enterprise Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 August 2017
Good place to work if you keep low profile,
good money
no bonus for stuff
Lots of good places around
good for the person leaves in downtown Toronto..
Pros
Big place
Cons
Poor culture
Ticking time bomb
Lawyer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 July 2017
Perceived externally as a growing force in the legal market, it is the largest law firm in the world.. "disrupting the industry". Unfortunately, internally we all seem to think it's a ticking time bomb waiting to implode. Nearly zero effort from management for internal growth of lawyers or staff, lots of overtime, no appreciation. Employees no longer care about the number of mergers or acquisitions - they keep their heads down hoping to not get made redundant
Pros
People
Cons
Management, Policies, Working hours, Engagement, Growth opportunity
High Energy Workplace in the Energy Group.
Senior Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 March 2017
I enjoyed working in a fast paced environment with fantastic individuals in the Energy Group Department. The law firm is an international law firm with offices across five (5) continents; Canada, USA, Europe, Middle East and Asia.
Pros
Organized staff events.
Cons
None.
Working you to the bare bones
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 January 2017
Everything from the onset makes it seem like this worlds largest law firm is the best place to be. The only thing is if you speak up, you are looked down upon and if you have good ideas or disagree with management you are asking for trouble.
The work can be challenging and rewarding, but the amount of overtime and little appreciation leaves little to the worker.
Pros
the people
Cons
long hours, little advancement, bad management
Most stressful place to work
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 September 2016
Do not even consider working for this company as a legal assistant. They'll take you for all you've got and the pay is poor. The management does not care about you and the HR department does not do anything.
Pros
Nice colleagues
Cons
Very bad systems
Dentons Canada LLP
Law Clerk (Current Employee) –  Dentons4 August 2016
Since becoming Dentons Canada LLP in 2013 the employee morale has suffered substantially. Every day the staff are reminded of the inherent hierarchy that exists between staff and the lawyers. There is a 'them' and 'us' attitude. Slowly over the last 3 years we have witnessed benefits being removed and pay raises being very low.
IT - Ok place to work
Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 May 2016
Coming from Customer Service, Dentons was great but there's virtually no room for advancement. It's a place to go and work. As a Technical Analyst the job pays the minimum for the city, but says it's the top of what they're willing to pay.
It's a job, with security and good benefits though.
Work Hard and Pray You Don't Get Fired
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 April 2016
This firm is all talk - pumping up their public image. The workplace culture is all about throw your fellow employees under the bus in order to gain favour with Management. A very unfriendly and unteamwork-like workplace. They are all about hiring low paid staff and keeping them down. A revolving door workplace. There is little respect shown for the staff. Unfortunately, the large recent mergers in the past year or so have diluted the core values of the firm. My advice would be to run - and look elsewhere.
Pros
Very few
Cons
Low Salary, Unfriendly work environment
Backstabbing, gossip and fear culture is prevalent
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 August 2015
I did not enjoy my time here at all.

Many of the other admins on my floor were gossipy and petty and the whole atmosphere was like walking on eggshells every day. I was warned on my very first day to not ever leave my computer unlocked because one admin in particular liked to snoop, to the point where she read private emails from at least two lawyers, and if she could, she would open desks, closets and read anything she could get her hands on. I was also warned not to be seen with this woman, as it would "destroy" my reputation with everyone else in the company.

One of the lawyers in my department was a tyrant and treated everyone very, very poorly, including me, right from my very first day. Every day was stressful and I was actually relieved when my position was eliminated.
Pros
decent benefits packages and choices
Cons
Everything else
The Tire Experience
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 February 2015
Very much a family oriented culture, communication skills are essential and is an on the go experience. Have to be proactive and take charge on your team and be able to follow up and take an extra step.
Great people and atmosphere
Legal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary AB8 September 2014
Transcribing of confidential letters, memos, reports, and other documents from machine dictation using MS Word combined with proofreading of documents for other operators, marking grammar and content errors

Filing of memos, finding and copying cases from law books, type letters and memos, maintain trust ledger

Coordinating boardrooms and contacting clients for the scheduling of meetings
Very productive. Very exceptional office enviroment.
Overflow Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario6 February 2014
I have grew as an legal assistant at Dentons Canada LLP. I have learned so much and the office environment was great.
Pros
Great office environment.