Denny's Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
working with co-workers
Kitchen Manager (Current Employee), ottawaJune 4, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: getting only one day-off and working every weekends and holidays
busy
most enjoyable- my co-worker
hardest- finding good workers
family setting
Server and Hostess (Former Employee), okotoks, abMay 27, 2014
get orders from customers, making sure they are properly done.
its a fast working restaurant especialy very busy on weekends.every year we have christmas partie
COOK (Current Employee), Calgary,AlbertaMay 26, 2014
Pros: free meals on duty
Cons: 8 hrs a day
The typical day is during the stampede time,that day I was working in the night shift alone suddenly we got slamed but I managed well and we did around 1500 sales from 11pm to 7 am with one cook and one server
I learned from this restaurant, how to work fast and i learned multiple skills
The management is very supportive and encouraging
The co-workers are very friendly and motivating
The hardest part I fell is the cleaning job
I enjoy most working in the busy hours,keeping myself more active
great for students
Dishwasher (Former Employee), Brampton, ONMay 14, 2014
it was a good place to work on a part time basis. its good for somebody who does not have a lot of time in the day
fun workplace, unorganized management
Dishwasher (Current Employee), Brampton, ONApril 21, 2014
it is always busy at dennys and I am constantly running around, I learned to wash large amounts of plates and cutlery in a short amount of time, the management is bad, but there are changes being made, my co workers are great, the hardest part of the job is when the wash machine breaks down causing us to hand wash, the most enjoyable part of my job is the free meals.
average place to work. not great but not terrible.
Service assistant (Former Employee), Lancaster, ONApril 4, 2014
Pros: free drinks
Cons: lack of employees, poor organization.
alright place to work at with friendly and interesting co-workers, but the lack of hired staff made for longer shifts and many times there would be no one working on the previous shift so you would have to clean the mess from the previous shift.
Overall great staff, and busy store
Hostess (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 27, 2014
Love working at Denny's it is always busy, however the pay is not what I am looking for.
Productive and entertaining place to work.
Busser (Former Employee), Niagara Falls, ONMarch 20, 2014
Pros: breaks and meals
Cons: long hairs and no tips
At Denny's, a typical day at work for me as a busser would be simply cleaning tables, bringing the dirty dishes to the dishwasher, supervising the bathrooms and attending to customers when servers were busy and performing what was asked immediately. I would also have a duty to vacuum the carpet, clean the restrooms, and sweep and mop the kitchen at the end of each shift.
Being a busser, I learned a lot of different techniques. I learned all the duties I previously explained, how to work with customers, how to take care of my own bank account and I also learned to be patient when it comes to managers and customers.
My co-workers were very hard working, respectful and enjoyable. They also helped me when needed, kept me great company and were always reliable.
The hardest part of the job was having extremely long shifts back to back! But I was a very hard working employee so I appreciated the hours I was assigned each week.
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people every day. I love interacting with people so that was the most enjoyable part of being a busser at Denny's.
Received good experience with different kinds of people in a busy restaraunt.
Server, hostess and busser. (Former Employee), Kamloops, BCFebruary 11, 2014
Pros: worked with great people
Cons: difficulty getting to work.
A typical day at work would consist of taking an order from a customer and bringing the correctly ordered dish back to their table and meeting their every request with a skip in my step and a smile on my face. Once I the customer was finished I would clear their plates away as they were done and told them that I would see them next time and to have a great day.

I learned patience and the importance of getting the correctly ordered plate into the order of the kitchen.

Management was good for accommodating to my schedule since I played competitive soccer.

The hardest part of my job would be getting there. Denny's was across town and I only had a pedal bike. I had to be very organized and had to have good time management skills.

The most enjoyable part of my job was having a customer and putting a smile on their face. Saying jokes when the opportunity presented itself and having the customer say that they were happy that I served them.
A restaurant with a tight-knit community.
Waitress (Current Employee), Revelstoke, BCJanuary 18, 2014
Pros: the harder and faster you work, the more tables you are able to serve while maintaining great costumer service, the more money you will make.
Cons: when the restaurant is in it's slow season, the hours of all staff members are cut.
Denny's, overall, has been a great and fulfilling experience. I enjoy the fast pasted environment, and to be ambitious at Denny's means you will be successful.
The hardest part about my job would have to be making sure not to take on too much; being ambitious I want to take on as much work as I can, but I have to keep costumer satisfaction in mind and know my boundaries.

The best part about working at Denny's is the tight-knit and friendly network of people. Serving is obviously a very social job, between waitress and costumer, and meeting their needs is a pleasure, but specifically working along-side the rest of the staff members; the waitresses, waiters, cooks, server assistants and managers has always been enjoyable.
Many of my closest friends have been made at Denny's and it is a pleasure to work with them.
good place to eat and ok to work
Hostess (Former Employee), London onJanuary 11, 2014
Pros: the chance to move up
Cons: managers not on the same page most days
my work day involved me standing at the hostess station and greeting guests, sometimes i would run food for the servers if we where really busy at nights i would do so cleaning as well . the management are all over the place some have certain ways they want things done while others do as well
Good Company
Area Manager (Current Employee), Terrace, BCJanuary 3, 2014
Pros: good pay/bonus plan/health plan
Cons: long hours, lack of management team
Working a Denny's you get to meet a lot of people
it is a fun fast place
with good people, good food, every time
highly unorganize
Cashier/hostess (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 31, 2013
Pros: free meal
Cons: schedule not fixe
I earned experience and how to deal with costumers, management is disrespectful,co workers are not helpful, busting tables while taking payment and while hostessing.
Professional and a place which always gives you opportunities to grow
General Manager (Current Employee), Prince George, BCDecember 28, 2013
Started off as a Cook with this company in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.
i had the skills to grow and start in hospitality but got this opportunity from Denny's.
The most enjoyable part of my job is bringing balance with my customers, staff, bosses and making sure everything works smooth.
overall good
service assistant (Former Employee), Surrey, BCDecember 19, 2013
Pros: good people
Cons: less hours
typical day at work that when I felt pain in my stomach due to pregnancy. I improved my language there and I learnt some cooking recipes from there.Management and co-workers were good.Keeping the dishes on there place was the enjoyable part of the job.
Server
Server (Former Employee), 170 street and Yellowhead Flying JDecember 19, 2013
Pros: 50% discount on food when working, 25% when not on shift and is usuable at any dennys.
Cons: sometimes long hours, shift work
Greeted and followed sequence for where customers were to be seated,
processed orders taken and input them into the POS system
Made sure orders were correct then would serve the order to the customer.
Follow up on food and that drinks were filled and customers were happy
Offered dessert and cleaned tables
Took payment and cleared the order in POS
Job was enjoyable, Enjoyed serving the customers and working with my wonderful management team and co-workers.
Loved being a server
Server (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 5, 2013
I loved my team of servers, and enjoyed the customers. My biggest issue with the company was that the managers would send people home leaving you with one maybe two people to cover the front of house during lunch rush.. thats over 40 tables that can sit 4-8 people, and 20 two person tables, plus the bar with no bar training. The split shifts made it really hard to have any time with my child as i was constantly commuting to and from work. There seemed to be a huge gap between what the servers had to do before leaving and what management had to do. Seemed often that they would take off whenever even in the middle of a rush.
Busy ;engaging ;high energy
Server/Supervisor (Former Employee), Brampton, ONNovember 22, 2013
Pros: decent money
Cons: feast or famine!!
hours not great; on site management very helpful; good staff!!
Niagara Falls Denny's employment
Afternoon Server (Current Employee), Niagara Falls, ONNovember 3, 2013
My employment here has been mediocre. There is problems with some of the managment that inhibits enjoyment working here. Gossip and favouring are common.

Gratuity here, especially in the afternoons shift (Denny's is famous for breakfast), is all right at best.

Dealing with tourists and language barriers cause for a frustrating environment.

Division of labour is often unfairly divided and monitored.

There is a big problem with the lack of team work in this workplace.

A good portion of the employees are nice to work with.

Consistency in rules and discipline is lacking and bias.

Stable/reliable work is still available in post-summer seasons.

There is a lack for a full bar option (only bottled beer and simple wells are available), which does not help with my personal growth interest (bartending).

Advancement within is slim. Pay raise is unheard of with non-Management staff.
Great place to work with a fun atmosphere
Host (Former Employee), Niagara Falls, ONOctober 28, 2013
The management worked effectively and efficiently with the staff to make sure all customers concerns and issues were met.
Links