Denny's Employee Reviews in Canada

four start
Auxiliary in any where. (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg MBSeptember 15, 2014
Every day in at restaurant I did must to start early(15 to 20 minutes)
before in my work place. After reviewing my clothes, to putt them in at right position and look like a professional employee, seeing a good hygiene every day.But in my own self, thinking good with well way making the best adding a positive mentality. Currently the day in the time can be changing in my shifts because the most important for that was to talk early at the supervisor about my duties, saying with polite sentences: What can I do to day boss?.
Normally my begin task it was helping another partner in the dishes table because I thing does it the most important thing in the morning when the customer they were came in at the restaurant. Til, the duties maybe change if the requirement in another work shop inside will be the more urgent like the: Line cook. line food(auxiliary), clean the tables, bus boy(any time), cleaners in any sides in at different times periods, see the garbage beans with different containers, to review at the hotel two times by day(room service), does it to collect any dish an cutlery and may to bring some information at the guest about the hotel and understanding what they are looking for.
Pros
good free days every week
Cons
the short time for a breakfast and lunch.
i personally didnt like it there
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Edmonton ABSeptember 11, 2014
The management treated me poorly apart from everyone else. I was doing what was asked of me and nothing less
Productive and fun workplace and great place
chef (Former Employee) –  Southkeys Ottawa OnAugust 30, 2014
It's a great place to work because the employees respect each other and the manager respect his employees.
Pros
free foods
Cons
24 hours
Very low hours, usually rude managment. NO raises
Cook (Former Employee) –  Fort Erie, ONAugust 20, 2014
Don't follow head office rules and regulations. No PPE, food stored too long, improper food handling practices. Never a pay raise, treated like mules. Oh most enjoyable part of the job was GOING HOME AT THE END OF SHIFT!
Dennys
Host (Former Employee) –  Calgary crowfootJuly 19, 2014
it was great environment to work at, the costumers, other employers where all nice and friendly,
fun productive workplace to be in
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  terrace bcJuly 10, 2014
day starts with morning or mid day prep, weighing proper portions for the day depending on time of shift. management is always friendly and full of energy.They are always busy with helping staff where needed and asking guests how there visit was.
Co-workers are always on top of their game in the fast paced environment cooking the bills to order with a smile.
the hardest part of the job i have to say was the night shift.If there wasn't steady cooking,you'd have to keep busy cleaning to not get sleepy
the most enjoyable part was the co-workers,everybody gets along like we were friends since grade school.
Pros
half price food while working, and sometimes free
Cons
split shifts or sent home early because of not enough customers
line cook
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJuly 9, 2014
prep in mornings. make meals as order comes in, keep kicthen clean and stock fridges
An extremely fast-paced environment
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONJuly 7, 2014
Denny's was rather intense. For the most part I was the fry-guy, but I worked the other stations as well. I worked the day shift usually. When it came time to rock and roll for the breakfast customers, it was nonstop and I loved it. Jerry was the kitchen manager and he was a great guy. Everyone on the line worked well together and there was never any "I think I'm better than you" attitudes. When it comes to upper management that's a different story. I worked there for over a year without so much as even a performance review. I don't even think they knew my name! Every week the tip pool got smaller for the kitchen staff and it got bigger for management. They would come into the kitchen while we were working to grab a bite, and they made us feel like we were in their way. On a brighter note...I was alone working the evening shift one day and someone came in to order an all-day breakfast. I did my thing and a little while later the server came up to me and said "That customer says he eats at Denny's in the States all the time and this was the best breakfast he's ever had". Kinda made me feel good.
Pros
fast paced, time flew, everyone had a good time
Cons
management could do a better job
Productive and fun to work in a chaotic enviornement
Cook (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJuly 5, 2014
A typical day is very busy. Orders come in on the dozens and it is very fun because it is very challenging. I get along with all my co - workers which make time and the day go by easier and smoother. The hardest part of my job has to be the heated environment which I work in, however, I make due. The most enjoyable part of my job is that I did a good job with all my orders.
Good experience overall
line cook (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCJune 16, 2014
good management, great co-workers, good experience.
learned about service industry, cooking, and maintenance of building.
given good hours and hourly wage.
working with co-workers
Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  ottawaJune 4, 2014
busy
most enjoyable- my co-worker
hardest- finding good workers
Pros
free lunches
Cons
getting only one day-off and working every weekends and holidays
family setting
Server and Hostess (Former Employee) –  okotoks, abMay 27, 2014
get orders from customers, making sure they are properly done.
its a fast working restaurant especialy very busy on weekends.every year we have christmas partie
COOK (Current Employee) –  Calgary,AlbertaMay 26, 2014
The typical day is during the stampede time,that day I was working in the night shift alone suddenly we got slamed but I managed well and we did around 1500 sales from 11pm to 7 am with one cook and one server
I learned from this restaurant, how to work fast and i learned multiple skills
The management is very supportive and encouraging
The co-workers are very friendly and motivating
The hardest part I fell is the cleaning job
I enjoy most working in the busy hours,keeping myself more active
Pros
free meals on duty
Cons
8 hrs a day
great for students
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMay 14, 2014
it was a good place to work on a part time basis. its good for somebody who does not have a lot of time in the day
fun workplace, unorganized management
Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 21, 2014
it is always busy at dennys and I am constantly running around, I learned to wash large amounts of plates and cutlery in a short amount of time, the management is bad, but there are changes being made, my co workers are great, the hardest part of the job is when the wash machine breaks down causing us to hand wash, the most enjoyable part of my job is the free meals.
average place to work. not great but not terrible.
Service assistant (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, ONApril 4, 2014
alright place to work at with friendly and interesting co-workers, but the lack of hired staff made for longer shifts and many times there would be no one working on the previous shift so you would have to clean the mess from the previous shift.
Pros
free drinks
Cons
lack of employees, poor organization.
Overall great staff, and busy store
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 27, 2014
Love working at Denny's it is always busy, however the pay is not what I am looking for.
Productive and entertaining place to work.
Busser (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONMarch 20, 2014
At Denny's, a typical day at work for me as a busser would be simply cleaning tables, bringing the dirty dishes to the dishwasher, supervising the bathrooms and attending to customers when servers were busy and performing what was asked immediately. I would also have a duty to vacuum the carpet, clean the restrooms, and sweep and mop the kitchen at the end of each shift.
Being a busser, I learned a lot of different techniques. I learned all the duties I previously explained, how to work with customers, how to take care of my own bank account and I also learned to be patient when it comes to managers and customers.
My co-workers were very hard working, respectful and enjoyable. They also helped me when needed, kept me great company and were always reliable.
The hardest part of the job was having extremely long shifts back to back! But I was a very hard working employee so I appreciated the hours I was assigned each week.
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people every day. I love interacting with people so that was the most enjoyable part of being a busser at Denny's.
Pros
breaks and meals
Cons
long hairs and no tips
Received good experience with different kinds of people in a busy restaraunt.
Server, hostess and busser. (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BCFebruary 11, 2014
A typical day at work would consist of taking an order from a customer and bringing the correctly ordered dish back to their table and meeting their every request with a skip in my step and a smile on my face. Once I the customer was finished I would clear their plates away as they were done and told them that I would see them next time and to have a great day.

I learned patience and the importance of getting the correctly ordered plate into the order of the kitchen.

Management was good for accommodating to my schedule since I played competitive soccer.

The hardest part of my job would be getting there. Denny's was across town and I only had a pedal bike. I had to be very organized and had to have good time management skills.

The most enjoyable part of my job was having a customer and putting a smile on their face. Saying jokes when the opportunity presented itself and having the customer say that they were happy that I served them.
Pros
worked with great people
Cons
difficulty getting to work.
A restaurant with a tight-knit community.
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Revelstoke, BCJanuary 18, 2014
Denny's, overall, has been a great and fulfilling experience. I enjoy the fast pasted environment, and to be ambitious at Denny's means you will be successful.
The hardest part about my job would have to be making sure not to take on too much; being ambitious I want to take on as much work as I can, but I have to keep costumer satisfaction in mind and know my boundaries.

The best part about working at Denny's is the tight-knit and friendly network of people. Serving is obviously a very social job, between waitress and costumer, and meeting their needs is a pleasure, but specifically working along-side the rest of the staff members; the waitresses, waiters, cooks, server assistants and managers has always been enjoyable.
Many of my closest friends have been made at Denny's and it is a pleasure to work with them.
Pros
the harder and faster you work, the more tables you are able to serve while maintaining great costumer service, the more money you will make.
Cons
when the restaurant is in it's slow season, the hours of all staff members are cut.