Denny's Employee Reviews in Canada

Best first job
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCFebruary 16, 2015
A typical day included seating customers and dealing with payments, on more busy days it also included taking drink orders and bussing tables. The hardest part of the job was a shift of being the only host during a dinner rush, the best part was all my co-workers that made working there the best experience.
Pros
free food
Cons
not enough hours
24 Hour Restaurant
Server (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONApril 7, 2015
This is an alright place to work if your looking for steady hours throughout the year. The staff is very friendly. The midnight shift deals with a alot of impaired customers.
good place to eat and ok to work
Hostess (Former Employee) –  London onJanuary 11, 2014
my work day involved me standing at the hostess station and greeting guests, sometimes i would run food for the servers if we where really busy at nights i would do so cleaning as well . the management are all over the place some have certain ways they want things done while others do as well
Pros
the chance to move up
Cons
managers not on the same page most days
fun and awesome atmosphere
Cashier (Former Employee) –  calgary ABOctober 8, 2012
it was an amazing atmosphere with lots of amazing people.one of the hardest parts was learning all the machines and sometimes we wouldn't be very busy , but I enjoyed my co-workers and management very much and I learned a lot about cash registers
Pros
fun atmosphere
Cons
odd shifts
fun at times but terrible management
Cook (Former Employee) –  Prince George, B.C.September 10, 2013
worked hard for very little money, and had bad management. There were some employees i really liked which helped me stay there untill i was done schooling. Once i graduated i quit and have been looking for work ever since.
Pros
free lunches and milkshakes
Cons
odd shift schedules, and bad management
Great atmposhere with friendly caring staff
Busperson (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCFebruary 27, 2015
I didn't work there for very long, and I had to leave due to health complications, If I hadn't I'd likely still be working there, It was a very nice entry level position
fun people to work with
Cook (Current Employee) –  Vernon, BCNovember 13, 2012
dennys is very busy place to work. i love most of my coworkers and management . the hardest part of the job is keeping everyone happy. the most enjoyable part is the people i work with
Dishwasher Busser
Dishwasher and Busser (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 2, 2012
it's too stress and work hard into weekend night and day i would like off the weekend need to rest i dislike those stress up and schudles too is stress need to better and co worker is good
Pros
free but 50% off
Cons
some time not take break time
Accommodating to University Career
Server (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONSeptember 23, 2014
Management and staff made work enjoyable, friendly and accommodated to a hectic University schedule.
Fun workplace, great bunch of people to work with
Host/Cashier, Service Assistant, Prep cook (Former Employee) –  London, ONApril 1, 2013
Co-workers were spectacular people to work with. Everyone carried their own weight around the restaurant, and everyone knew how to work as a team. The hardest part of the job had to be keeping customers in line happy. The restaurant was a humble size, and filled up very easily on weekends. Lineups out the door became difficult to handle, but I was never put in any severely difficult situations working there. It was nice that everyone got along for the most part, and the managment was somewhat understanding of individual situations. However, there was a shortage of hours, and there were scheduling issues once in awhile. Overall it was a nice place to work.
Pros
friendly coworkers, tips, discounted lunch, clean environment
Cons
shortage of hours, scheduling issues
Can't complain about the pay/tips, management was less than to be desired.
Host (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 27, 2013
One manager was a good worker, the other two did not have the best work ethics. The newest of the three would be hostile if I did not do things his way, even if it was far from efficient.
Pros
tips, discounts
Cons
conned out of hours, poor management
overall good
service assistant (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCDecember 19, 2013
typical day at work that when I felt pain in my stomach due to pregnancy. I improved my language there and I learnt some cooking recipes from there.Management and co-workers were good.Keeping the dishes on there place was the enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
good people
Cons
less hours
Good experience overall
line cook (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCJune 16, 2014
good management, great co-workers, good experience.
learned about service industry, cooking, and maintenance of building.
given good hours and hourly wage.
Fun and always changing
Shift supervisor/Server (Former Employee) –  Delta, BCJanuary 27, 2013
I started with Dennys as a server. after aprox. six months the owner of this franchise, approached me and asked if I would like to assume the role of Service Coodinator. (shift supervisor) for 1-5 days a week, depending on the needs of the business. As a supervisor, I was given the responiblites of managing the restaurant on my shift. shift change cash out proceedures, and oversaw 4-12 staff per shift. As a server, I gave our guests superior service. Cash handling, liquor service, training new staff, and general housekeeping duties.
Pros
fun, great people, good solid company to work for.
Cons
not a safe environment, ive had to involve the police dozens of times to ensure staff safety.
i personally didnt like it there
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Edmonton ABSeptember 11, 2014
The management treated me poorly apart from everyone else. I was doing what was asked of me and nothing less
A restaurant with a tight-knit community.
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Revelstoke, BCJanuary 18, 2014
Denny's, overall, has been a great and fulfilling experience. I enjoy the fast pasted environment, and to be ambitious at Denny's means you will be successful.
The hardest part about my job would have to be making sure not to take on too much; being ambitious I want to take on as much work as I can, but I have to keep costumer satisfaction in mind and know my boundaries.

The best part about working at Denny's is the tight-knit and friendly network of people. Serving is obviously a very social job, between waitress and costumer, and meeting their needs is a pleasure, but specifically working along-side the rest of the staff members; the waitresses, waiters, cooks, server assistants and managers has always been enjoyable.
Many of my closest friends have been made at Denny's and it is a pleasure to work with them.
Pros
the harder and faster you work, the more tables you are able to serve while maintaining great costumer service, the more money you will make.
Cons
when the restaurant is in it's slow season, the hours of all staff members are cut.
Fun work place with great co-worker, dont have to leave if you want breakfast,lunch,or dinner and dessert
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Mississauga ONAugust 14, 2012
A day working at dennys as a hostess was enjoyable. My duties was to meet and greet customer as they enter the resturant clean and fold cutlery, wipe down table and chairs, cashed take out orders places in store or over the phone for take out.

Dennys all of my co-workers where nice and supportive they help me understand the rules and let me know the ins and outs of Dennys which made it a lot easier for me.

What i enjoyed most about Dennys was that everyone got along and worked as a team
Pros
discount on food
Cons
the shirft the wanted to offer me
Great staff
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  London, ONMay 16, 2012
The staff at Denny's in London are great. There really care about the customer and give their best more often than not.
Pros
free meals
Cons
very enjoyable and friendly place
Hostess & Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Delta, BCSeptember 7, 2012
my first job,I have learn how to greet customer.my supervisior was so helpful to me every step of the way.I worked thier for four years and enjoyed it but then I found another job at A&W cause my accident i couldn't work in that resturant. A&W job was easy and light for me. I have work with this company for years and learned a lots of thing.I was promoted as a trainer then supervisior. I have learned everything which was required for the job and outcome for that was great cause learned fast and always got my work done with time limit.
highly unorganize
Cashier/hostess (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 31, 2013
I earned experience and how to deal with costumers, management is disrespectful,co workers are not helpful, busting tables while taking payment and while hostessing.
Pros
free meal
Cons
schedule not fixe