Denny's Employee Reviews in Canada

Great opportunity
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Terrace BCApril 11, 2015
I met a lot of great people, and yeah like every restaurant, there will be some of those not so great people. Overall, it was a great experience!
Pros
Meeting new people, good tips and free pop.
Cons
Pop free, food wasn't.
24 Hour Restaurant
Server (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONApril 7, 2015
This is an alright place to work if your looking for steady hours throughout the year. The staff is very friendly. The midnight shift deals with a alot of impaired customers.
Diner
Server (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 29, 2015
A decent place to work for the summers, pay isn't too grand but the tips and the people are good. Management is excellent. Co-workers are a fun bunch.
amazing environment, positive workers & great atmosphere
Hostess/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 3, 2015
My experience working at denny's was quite enjoyable, the employees got along perfectly and we all encouraged each other to keep things in control and clean. My managers respected everyone and was very organized.
Pros
50% off everything
Cons
not enough hours
productive, and good coworkers
Hostess (Former Employee) –  British ColumbiaMarch 1, 2015
I was trained as a hostess, my duties involved greeting and seating customers. I introduced their waitress to them and provided them with menus. I kept the area behind the counter clean, filled the ice tray, rolled silverware. I helped waitresses clean and clear tables as well as reset them. I also took payment from customers and helped out in other areas when needed.
Great atmposhere with friendly caring staff
Busperson (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCFebruary 27, 2015
I didn't work there for very long, and I had to leave due to health complications, If I hadn't I'd likely still be working there, It was a very nice entry level position
Dennys
Hostess (Former Employee) –  TerraceFebruary 21, 2015
I learned to serve food take payment and work on my feet. The management was very nice and friendly. I got along with all of my coworkers.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
no hours
Best first job
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCFebruary 16, 2015
A typical day included seating customers and dealing with payments, on more busy days it also included taking drink orders and bussing tables. The hardest part of the job was a shift of being the only host during a dinner rush, the best part was all my co-workers that made working there the best experience.
Pros
free food
Cons
not enough hours
Good Place To Work Due To Employees
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABJanuary 7, 2015
The Denny's restaurant I worked at was a consistently busy location. I worked with an excellent, positive staff that was among, if not the, best I've ever been a part of. As far as resiliency, unity and support every member down to the management was terrific. The location was well kept and was properly organized to make efficient and timely work possible.
Pros
positive environment, complimentary meals
fun and fast paced restuarant
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 22, 2014
Dennys, having the popular, fast paced environment made the days go by fast. Lots of smiling customers and smiling employees in return. Hardest part would be having lots of tasks to handle all at once, such a greeting the guests and serving out beverages while keeping the front end clean and tidy. Prioritizing tasks is a skill i've learned throughout my experiences. Most enjoyable part would definitely be dealing with costumers and always having a constant and new challenge.
Pros
free meal everyday an excellent customers!
Cons
short hours and cut shifts due to the season.
Nice place to work.
Server (Former Employee) –  Rapid City, MBDecember 16, 2014
I really liked working as a server at this restaurant.
The most enjoyable part was trainings :)
Good times sometimes stressful
Terry Trainor GM (Current Employee) –  Calgary COPDecember 14, 2014
Good people to work for if you can do the job its super high paced but the people mean well. it prrepares you fro stressful situations in life in which you have to perform as Customers can not be kept waiting. I like working hard and the best thing is if you are honest with your work and not judgmental there is always a job for you
Pros
work your scheduled shift
Cons
understanding if you mean well
I Cook in Denny's for the customer.
Cook (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg ManitobaDecember 9, 2014
* Cook the food for the customers and organizing the dishes
* Clean Dishes
fun working environment.
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONNovember 18, 2014
it was very easy, and an out going environment to work in. i learned that hard work and dedication pays off at the end. my co workers were very nice and helpful towards me. management worked very professionally and did their job properly which i liked very much. the hardest part of the job was trying to seat the customers as a hostess and having no seats to place them in which was very difficult and making the customers wait which is unkind gesture. the most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the customers, meeting new people and making new friends; and also short shifts were very nice and proper for me to have. having a positive environment around me help me to do my job in a better and a productive way which i enjoyed doing very much. lastly, i enjoyed working with everyone around me, and they all treated me very well , which i liked doing a lot.
Pros
50 % off on food.
Cons
dealing with customers was sometimes difficult for me.
excellent place to work
KITCHEN MANAGER/ NIGHT SERVER (Current Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BCOctober 27, 2014
worked here for 6 years, gained so much kknowlegde and skills especially in my first year in canada. Almost a home to me. The owner was such a great employer, helped a lot of people.
Pros
free meals, staff discounts, awesome owner
Cons
na
great place to work as long as its not the night shift
Host (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABOctober 8, 2014
only one person on managment side of things actually really cared, the rest definitly needed a lot more trainging with interpersonal training. poorly managed to the point that after i left, within 6-8 months the entire managment team was gone and all new people are now working there.
Always work at night
Cook (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 7, 2014
I used to cook for the dinner and early morning rush shift.I learned how to be organized in the kitchen.
enjoy the busy hours and the work culture
(CANADA) as cook (Current Employee) –  calgary albertaSeptember 30, 2014
there are lots of memorable day where i worked alone and did almost 100 to 140 covers alnoe in 3 .. 4 hours,
Accommodating to University Career
Server (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONSeptember 23, 2014
Management and staff made work enjoyable, friendly and accommodated to a hectic University schedule.
Productive and fun Place to work.
Restaurant Manager (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKSeptember 16, 2014
A typical day at work starts really early at 6.30 am, I need to be on time to check that last night staff is leaving the restaurant in decent conditions for the next shift. I am responsible of closing the day sales, ensuring all numbers and cash/debit moneys balance.

Before 7am., a walk through the restaurant has been completed immediate risk or urgent matters have been corrected, time card have been adjusted and I am ready to close the day sales and change the till money for next day operations.

I set the floor plan for the day servers with section rotation to give everyone same opportunity to rotate sections in the restaurant.

Once the cash out is done, I finish the walk through book taking and reviewing temperatures in both front of the house and kitchen, at the same time a list of additional activities by job code is delivered to them to work through the shift and have tasks done before leaving.

Now I am ready to do office work and preform the End od Day Reports, Review Room charges and balance reports, once they are done, I send the main ones to head officce and to our District Sales Manager, prepare the deposit and commit sales.

I review my Outlook and check the emails and work on them, I open our Scheduling tool and open communication with staff, review schedules for the week and perform changes and adjustments if needed and answer their questions and requests.

If a maintenance service is required I call the company involved to make the report and schedule a visit.

Now it is time to go and check the restaurant, do another walk through and check kitchen and stations
  more... to ensure everything is perfect. I really enjoy talking to our guests and asking questions to be sure they are fully satisfied with our food and service.

After this I evaluate staff according to performance and coach them in opportunnity areas to improve and congratulate them in public when done.

There is always something to do, either interviews for new staff or review the staff training records or do special deep cleaning or perform a detail inventory for the end of month or answer P & L questions to Head Officce, prepare for a meeting or a Conference call.

We are always on the go and very active.

I think I have reached great experience working for the company for more than 5 years and I am ready for new challenges.
Pros
free meals when working
Cons
long hours and rotation on shifts