Denny's Employee Reviews

Wicked work environment
Host/Server (Former Employee) –  Headingley, MB27 August 2015
A typical day at work is like any other serving position you can think of with an added bonus of great laughs and even better stories.

I learned a great deal about how fun it can be to interact with the public along with attempting new ways to chat with customers.

Management at Denny's is great and very understanding.

Co-workers were hilarious and super easy to work with and around.

Hardest part of the job was getting swamped with tables and dealing with patrons that were upset. Even that was easier once my experience with customers improved.

The most enjoyable part was the team-work and the perks of eating food at work was not too bad!
Pros
Free lunches and dinners
Cons
Angry customers
Denny's
Server (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB6 September 2015
I learned a lot about the food service industry. My training was top notch. I was hired before the grand opening, I received extensive train by great leaders within the Denny's corporation. I was trained to promote new menu items as well as suggest products to enhance meals and over all guest satisfaction. I enjoy working with the public and giving great customer service.
Pros
Flexible hours
Good job for student
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 January 2016
Flexible hours for a student and a good first time job. It's a good customer service experience and stepping stone into the customer service industry.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Not easy for advancement
Not a very good place financially
Line Cook/Prep (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 October 2015
Most of the staff get along but there are plenty of times during the busy hours where the pleasantness definitely fades away. You get one free meal if you work in the kitchen on the line but because of management being too lazy for so long people take advantage of it.
Pros
Free meals for cooks
Cons
No Raises
customers and coworkers were wonderful. managing was horrific.
Dishwasher/Cook/Host (Former Employee) –  2325 ottawa st4 July 2015
I learned a lot of communication skills and how to handle endeavours with customers. A typical day at work i welcomed, greeted and sat guests, as well as cleaned menus tables and helped roll cutlery. The job was fun but the manager was not suited to run the place which resulted in bankruptcy two months into the job. Hardest part of the job was at the beginning when i was in the kitchen for two weeks and the heat was unbearable. The most enjoyable part was interacting with so many different people.
Pros
free food
Cons
40 hours a week
Working at dennys is amazing the enviorment and the people are great
Hostes (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 June 2015
a typical day at work consist of seating people taking payments having good laughs with fellow employees. ive learned a lot at dennys ive become more out spoken and find it a lot easier to talk to people. the management is great I really do like all my managers. my co-workers are all amazing as well. the hardest part of my job I don't really have one even when it gets busy nothing is every to hard.
Pros
Free food
Cons
not enough hours
Fun place to work
supervisor manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario26 November 2015
Typical restaurant sever experience. Good ownership and loyal co-workers made it a great place to work. Long hours often interfered with my home life but the pay was very good.
Pros
Great money and fast paced
Cons
work/life balane was not good
the work place is great but the management sucks. store that has full of drama
Food and Beverage Server (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC24 May 2015
i love my job, i love what i am doing. the people around me are friendly but full of drama its a love and hate kind of thing. everyday is a learning process that you deal most of the management empty promises. but as long as i see my customers happy everything is worth a sweat. that makes it a bitter sweet.
Pros
day off if you need to
Cons
make you take a day off if they don't need you
Great atmosphere and lovely people
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ONT26 April 2015
I honestly loved Denny's. I loved the food, the people and the atmosphere of the restaurant.
-When I was working at Denny's, I've learned about it's all about what the customer wants and what the customer needs.
-Management was good, treated me well, thought about my hours and daily schedule.
-The hardest part of the job was being liked by everyone; some people were hateful as I was the 'new girl' and others were more understanding.
-The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing I was working at a food industry that made me happy and paid me right on time.
Pros
Good food, Surrounded by warm people
Cons
Not enough hours
In an area of few opportunities, this establishment provided work for many.
Server (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON15 April 2015
Interesting people to serve on a daily basis with ongoing time constraints. How to satisfy the customer as quickly as possible was a constant challenge. An absentee management trend hurt the business after a ownership change. Being positive in a difficult work environment was the key to success. Seeing customers leave and return happy was the best part of the job.
Pros
24 hour work place
Cons
little job security
So So place to work but pleaent staff
Dishwasher and store maintenance (Former Employee) –  2452 Queen Street E. Brampton ON17 June 2015
I had the late shift from midnight to 9 am and later if I had to put away food and supplies. I learned to properly set up a freezer and cold room to make it easy for the cooks and servers to access How to plan and prepare some of Denny"s Grand Slam meals.
Management was not the greatest to that end the Restaurant went into Bankruptcy and nobody was warned. The store was seized by the bailiff with an sign on the door and the place locked.
The co-workers on whole where great and backed each other up.
The hardest part of the job was using the dish washing equipment so out of date and service it required that I had to do a clothes wash each day even when wearing protective gear.
Enjoyable part of the work was the staff personal .
Pros
Easy acces from home and to transporation
Cons
Lack of vacation time based on time employed
Overall Good
Server/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Mississauga9 September 2015
Good employer, approachable.
Work was very busy, fair with number of tables and rotation of tables.
Staff were supportive
Strong sanitation ethics, lots of regular deep cleaning
Learned a lot about restaurant business
Had an opportunity to even manage overnights at times.
fun and fast paced restuarant
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 December 2014
Dennys, having the popular, fast paced environment made the days go by fast. Lots of smiling customers and smiling employees in return. Hardest part would be having lots of tasks to handle all at once, such a greeting the guests and serving out beverages while keeping the front end clean and tidy. Prioritizing tasks is a skill i've learned throughout my experiences. Most enjoyable part would definitely be dealing with costumers and always having a constant and new challenge.
Pros
free meal everyday an excellent customers!
Cons
short hours and cut shifts due to the season.
stressful and productive
Cook (Current Employee) –  Willowbrook, BC31 May 2015
A typical day at dennys can be a bit stressful, attitudes fly from co-workers and managers. I find that there is to much micro managing in the Dennys company. But I do enjoy working there with others as well. I have learned only that Dennys is a very busy resturant compared to others on weekends.
Pros
Non
Cons
Stress levels, not enough hours, late night hours
Good Place To Work Due To Employees
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB7 January 2015
The Denny's restaurant I worked at was a consistently busy location. I worked with an excellent, positive staff that was among, if not the, best I've ever been a part of. As far as resiliency, unity and support every member down to the management was terrific. The location was well kept and was properly organized to make efficient and timely work possible.
Pros
Positive Environment, Complimentary Meals
dennys
Hostess/Busser (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 May 2015
Didn't like it wasn't respected ect
and just wasn't my field in jobs to work at.

I did like working with the co workers tho just
managers not so much except one manager
was nice and i ended up quitting as i was taking
a two hour bus ride and they only gave me 3 days
a week and short shifts just wasn't worth it.
Pros
paid you on time
Cons
just some of the managers there were mean
its a fast working restaurant especialy very busy on weekends.every year we have christmas partie
COOK (Current Employee) –  Calgary,Alberta26 May 2014
The typical day is during the stampede time,that day I was working in the night shift alone suddenly we got slamed but I managed well and we did around 1500 sales from 11pm to 7 am with one cook and one server
I learned from this restaurant, how to work fast and i learned multiple skills
The management is very supportive and encouraging
The co-workers are very friendly and motivating
The hardest part I fell is the cleaning job
I enjoy most working in the busy hours,keeping myself more active
Pros
free meals on duty
Cons
8 hrs a day
very enjoyable and friendly place
Hostess & Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC7 September 2012
my first job,I have learn how to greet customer.my supervisior was so helpful to me every step of the way.I worked thier for four years and enjoyed it but then I found another job at A&W cause my accident i couldn't work in that resturant. A&W job was easy and light for me. I have work with this company for years and learned a lots of thing.I was promoted as a trainer then supervisior. I have learned everything which was required for the job and outcome for that was great cause learned fast and always got my work done with time limit.
Fun work place with great co-worker, dont have to leave if you want breakfast,lunch,or dinner and dessert
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Mississauga ON14 August 2012
A day working at dennys as a hostess was enjoyable. My duties was to meet and greet customer as they enter the resturant clean and fold cutlery, wipe down table and chairs, cashed take out orders places in store or over the phone for take out.

Dennys all of my co-workers where nice and supportive they help me understand the rules and let me know the ins and outs of Dennys which made it a lot easier for me.

What i enjoyed most about Dennys was that everyone got along and worked as a team
Pros
discount on food
Cons
the shirft the wanted to offer me
very busy work place
Over Night Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Calgary AB25 January 2013
a typical day: we do not have enough cook, we try our best to do a lot of things
I learn how to do cooking and preparing effectively
The management did their best to achieve the overall service of the whole restaurant
the hardest part of the job is trying to do too many orders with the minimum amount of time during the rush hour
The most enjoyable part is have some nice co-workers and managers
Pros
a good place to start learning cooking
Cons
not enough income in winter

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Denny's. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9