Denny's Employee Reviews in Canada

Good Place To Work Due To Employees
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABJanuary 7, 2015
The Denny's restaurant I worked at was a consistently busy location. I worked with an excellent, positive staff that was among, if not the, best I've ever been a part of. As far as resiliency, unity and support every member down to the management was terrific. The location was well kept and was properly organized to make efficient and timely work possible.
Pros
positive environment, complimentary meals
fun and fast paced restuarant
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 22, 2014
Dennys, having the popular, fast paced environment made the days go by fast. Lots of smiling customers and smiling employees in return. Hardest part would be having lots of tasks to handle all at once, such a greeting the guests and serving out beverages while keeping the front end clean and tidy. Prioritizing tasks is a skill i've learned throughout my experiences. Most enjoyable part would definitely be dealing with costumers and always having a constant and new challenge.
Pros
free meal everyday an excellent customers!
Cons
short hours and cut shifts due to the season.
Nice place to work.
Server (Former Employee) –  Rapid City, MBDecember 16, 2014
I really liked working as a server at this restaurant.
The most enjoyable part was trainings :)
Good times sometimes stressful
Terry Trainor GM (Current Employee) –  Calgary COPDecember 14, 2014
Good people to work for if you can do the job its super high paced but the people mean well. it prrepares you fro stressful situations in life in which you have to perform as Customers can not be kept waiting. I like working hard and the best thing is if you are honest with your work and not judgmental there is always a job for you
Pros
work your scheduled shift
Cons
understanding if you mean well
I Cook in Denny's for the customer.
Cook (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg ManitobaDecember 9, 2014
* Cook the food for the customers and organizing the dishes
* Clean Dishes
fun working environment.
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONNovember 18, 2014
it was very easy, and an out going environment to work in. i learned that hard work and dedication pays off at the end. my co workers were very nice and helpful towards me. management worked very professionally and did their job properly which i liked very much. the hardest part of the job was trying to seat the customers as a hostess and having no seats to place them in which was very difficult and making the customers wait which is unkind gesture. the most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the customers, meeting new people and making new friends; and also short shifts were very nice and proper for me to have. having a positive environment around me help me to do my job in a better and a productive way which i enjoyed doing very much. lastly, i enjoyed working with everyone around me, and they all treated me very well , which i liked doing a lot.
Pros
50 % off on food.
Cons
dealing with customers was sometimes difficult for me.
excellent place to work
KITCHEN MANAGER/ NIGHT SERVER (Current Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BCOctober 27, 2014
worked here for 6 years, gained so much kknowlegde and skills especially in my first year in canada. Almost a home to me. The owner was such a great employer, helped a lot of people.
Pros
free meals, staff discounts, awesome owner
Cons
na
great place to work as long as its not the night shift
Host (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABOctober 8, 2014
only one person on managment side of things actually really cared, the rest definitly needed a lot more trainging with interpersonal training. poorly managed to the point that after i left, within 6-8 months the entire managment team was gone and all new people are now working there.
Always work at night
Cook (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 7, 2014
I used to cook for the dinner and early morning rush shift.I learned how to be organized in the kitchen.
enjoy the busy hours and the work culture
(CANADA) as cook (Current Employee) –  calgary albertaSeptember 30, 2014
there are lots of memorable day where i worked alone and did almost 100 to 140 covers alnoe in 3 .. 4 hours,
Accommodating to University Career
Server (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONSeptember 23, 2014
Management and staff made work enjoyable, friendly and accommodated to a hectic University schedule.
Productive and fun Place to work.
Restaurant Manager (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKSeptember 16, 2014
A typical day at work starts really early at 6.30 am, I need to be on time to check that last night staff is leaving the restaurant in decent conditions for the next shift. I am responsible of closing the day sales, ensuring all numbers and cash/debit moneys balance.

Before 7am., a walk through the restaurant has been completed immediate risk or urgent matters have been corrected, time card have been adjusted and I am ready to close the day sales and change the till money for next day operations.

I set the floor plan for the day servers with section rotation to give everyone same opportunity to rotate sections in the restaurant.

Once the cash out is done, I finish the walk through book taking and reviewing temperatures in both front of the house and kitchen, at the same time a list of additional activities by job code is delivered to them to work through the shift and have tasks done before leaving.

Now I am ready to do office work and preform the End od Day Reports, Review Room charges and balance reports, once they are done, I send the main ones to head officce and to our District Sales Manager, prepare the deposit and commit sales.

I review my Outlook and check the emails and work on them, I open our Scheduling tool and open communication with staff, review schedules for the week and perform changes and adjustments if needed and answer their questions and requests.

If a maintenance service is required I call the company involved to make the report and schedule a visit.

Now it is time to go and check the restaurant, do another walk through and check kitchen and stations
  more... to ensure everything is perfect. I really enjoy talking to our guests and asking questions to be sure they are fully satisfied with our food and service.

After this I evaluate staff according to performance and coach them in opportunnity areas to improve and congratulate them in public when done.

There is always something to do, either interviews for new staff or review the staff training records or do special deep cleaning or perform a detail inventory for the end of month or answer P & L questions to Head Officce, prepare for a meeting or a Conference call.

We are always on the go and very active.

I think I have reached great experience working for the company for more than 5 years and I am ready for new challenges.
Pros
free meals when working
Cons
long hours and rotation on shifts
four start
Auxiliary in any where. (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg MBSeptember 15, 2014
Every day in at restaurant I did must to start early(15 to 20 minutes)
before in my work place. After reviewing my clothes, to putt them in at right position and look like a professional employee, seeing a good hygiene every day.But in my own self, thinking good with well way making the best adding a positive mentality. Currently the day in the time can be changing in my shifts because the most important for that was to talk early at the supervisor about my duties, saying with polite sentences: What can I do to day boss?.
Normally my begin task it was helping another partner in the dishes table because I thing does it the most important thing in the morning when the customer they were came in at the restaurant. Til, the duties maybe change if the requirement in another work shop inside will be the more urgent like the: Line cook. line food(auxiliary), clean the tables, bus boy(any time), cleaners in any sides in at different times periods, see the garbage beans with different containers, to review at the hotel two times by day(room service), does it to collect any dish an cutlery and may to bring some information at the guest about the hotel and understanding what they are looking for.
Pros
good free days every week
Cons
the short time for a breakfast and lunch.
i personally didnt like it there
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Edmonton ABSeptember 11, 2014
The management treated me poorly apart from everyone else. I was doing what was asked of me and nothing less
Productive and fun workplace and great place
chef (Former Employee) –  Southkeys Ottawa OnAugust 30, 2014
It's a great place to work because the employees respect each other and the manager respect his employees.
Pros
free foods
Cons
24 hours
Very low hours, usually rude managment. NO raises
Cook (Former Employee) –  Fort Erie, ONAugust 20, 2014
Don't follow head office rules and regulations. No PPE, food stored too long, improper food handling practices. Never a pay raise, treated like mules. Oh most enjoyable part of the job was GOING HOME AT THE END OF SHIFT!
Dennys
Host (Former Employee) –  Calgary crowfootJuly 19, 2014
it was great environment to work at, the costumers, other employers where all nice and friendly,
fun productive workplace to be in
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  terrace bcJuly 10, 2014
day starts with morning or mid day prep, weighing proper portions for the day depending on time of shift. management is always friendly and full of energy.They are always busy with helping staff where needed and asking guests how there visit was.
Co-workers are always on top of their game in the fast paced environment cooking the bills to order with a smile.
the hardest part of the job i have to say was the night shift.If there wasn't steady cooking,you'd have to keep busy cleaning to not get sleepy
the most enjoyable part was the co-workers,everybody gets along like we were friends since grade school.
Pros
half price food while working, and sometimes free
Cons
split shifts or sent home early because of not enough customers
line cook
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJuly 9, 2014
prep in mornings. make meals as order comes in, keep kicthen clean and stock fridges
An extremely fast-paced environment
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONJuly 7, 2014
Denny's was rather intense. For the most part I was the fry-guy, but I worked the other stations as well. I worked the day shift usually. When it came time to rock and roll for the breakfast customers, it was nonstop and I loved it. Jerry was the kitchen manager and he was a great guy. Everyone on the line worked well together and there was never any "I think I'm better than you" attitudes. When it comes to upper management that's a different story. I worked there for over a year without so much as even a performance review. I don't even think they knew my name! Every week the tip pool got smaller for the kitchen staff and it got bigger for management. They would come into the kitchen while we were working to grab a bite, and they made us feel like we were in their way. On a brighter note...I was alone working the evening shift one day and someone came in to order an all-day breakfast. I did my thing and a little while later the server came up to me and said "That customer says he eats at Denny's in the States all the time and this was the best breakfast he's ever had". Kinda made me feel good.
Pros
fast paced, time flew, everyone had a good time
Cons
management could do a better job