Denny's Employee Reviews in Canada

Good times sometimes stressful
Terry Trainor GM (Current Employee) –  Calgary COPDecember 14, 2014
Good people to work for if you can do the job its super high paced but the people mean well. it prrepares you fro stressful situations in life in which you have to perform as Customers can not be kept waiting. I like working hard and the best thing is if you are honest with your work and not judgmental there is always a job for you
Pros
work your scheduled shift
Cons
understanding if you mean well
productive, fast paced environment.
Host (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 16, 2015
Productive, fast paced environment. Good environment with great staff. Enjoyed my time working, customer greeting and system used was easy to handle.
Productive workplace.
Restaurant Manager (Current Employee) –  Okotoks, ABJune 17, 2015
Great place to work. I have learnt alot of useful skills and management experience. This is very beneficial to upgrade myself and my skills.
slack\fun
dishwasher/host (Former Employee) –  Terrace, BCJuly 7, 2015
it was a slack job management was pretty bad was dirty half of the time but it was a fun job grate people to meet and good work
Travelling
Restaurant Manager (Current Employee) –  Quesnel, BCJune 6, 2015
over all i like my job at dennys
i just look for extra money which will be great support to my family
co worker are excellent to work with them
fun productive workplace to be in
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  terrace bcJuly 10, 2014
day starts with morning or mid day prep, weighing proper portions for the day depending on time of shift. management is always friendly and full of energy.They are always busy with helping staff where needed and asking guests how there visit was.
Co-workers are always on top of their game in the fast paced environment cooking the bills to order with a smile.
the hardest part of the job i have to say was the night shift.If there wasn't steady cooking,you'd have to keep busy cleaning to not get sleepy
the most enjoyable part was the co-workers,everybody gets along like we were friends since grade school.
Pros
half price food while working, and sometimes free
Cons
split shifts or sent home early because of not enough customers
Great opportunity
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Terrace BCApril 11, 2015
I met a lot of great people, and yeah like every restaurant, there will be some of those not so great people. Overall, it was a great experience!
Pros
Meeting new people, good tips and free pop.
Cons
Pop free, food wasn't.
its a fast working restaurant especialy very busy on weekends.every year we have christmas partie
COOK (Current Employee) –  Calgary,AlbertaMay 26, 2014
The typical day is during the stampede time,that day I was working in the night shift alone suddenly we got slamed but I managed well and we did around 1500 sales from 11pm to 7 am with one cook and one server
I learned from this restaurant, how to work fast and i learned multiple skills
The management is very supportive and encouraging
The co-workers are very friendly and motivating
The hardest part I fell is the cleaning job
I enjoy most working in the busy hours,keeping myself more active
Pros
free meals on duty
Cons
8 hrs a day
Server (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 10, 2015
This was a great place to work and start my career as a server. we also did room service for the hotel so it was great getting to step out of the restaurant for a few minutes
Server
Server (Former Employee) –  170 street and Yellowhead Flying JDecember 19, 2013
Greeted and followed sequence for where customers were to be seated,
processed orders taken and input them into the POS system
Made sure orders were correct then would serve the order to the customer.
Follow up on food and that drinks were filled and customers were happy
Offered dessert and cleaned tables
Took payment and cleared the order in POS
Job was enjoyable, Enjoyed serving the customers and working with my wonderful management team and co-workers.
Pros
50% discount on food when working, 25% when not on shift and is usuable at any dennys.
Cons
sometimes long hours, shift work
Productive and fun to work in a chaotic enviornement
Cook (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJuly 5, 2014
A typical day is very busy. Orders come in on the dozens and it is very fun because it is very challenging. I get along with all my co - workers which make time and the day go by easier and smoother. The hardest part of my job has to be the heated environment which I work in, however, I make due. The most enjoyable part of my job is that I did a good job with all my orders.
Loved being a server
Server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 5, 2013
I loved my team of servers, and enjoyed the customers. My biggest issue with the company was that the managers would send people home leaving you with one maybe two people to cover the front of house during lunch rush.. thats over 40 tables that can sit 4-8 people, and 20 two person tables, plus the bar with no bar training. The split shifts made it really hard to have any time with my child as i was constantly commuting to and from work. There seemed to be a huge gap between what the servers had to do before leaving and what management had to do. Seemed often that they would take off whenever even in the middle of a rush.
Fun workplace with great co-workers
Server (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 19, 2013
This was my first full time job and I loved it, however towards the end of my seventh year we had different management and things changed drastically. People changed and the overall feeling in the restaurant changed, there was a lot of stress and the feeling of not being appreciated. I toughed it out along with a bunch of other people some were not so patient and left. After two more years I had to make the tough decision to leave it was just too stressful and nothing was changing for the better. I do remember a lot of fun Staff Christmas parties, picnics and such events, I met a lot of great people during my time with Dennys.
very enjoyable and friendly place
Hostess & Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Delta, BCSeptember 7, 2012
my first job,I have learn how to greet customer.my supervisior was so helpful to me every step of the way.I worked thier for four years and enjoyed it but then I found another job at A&W cause my accident i couldn't work in that resturant. A&W job was easy and light for me. I have work with this company for years and learned a lots of thing.I was promoted as a trainer then supervisior. I have learned everything which was required for the job and outcome for that was great cause learned fast and always got my work done with time limit.
Fun work place with great co-worker, dont have to leave if you want breakfast,lunch,or dinner and dessert
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Mississauga ONAugust 14, 2012
A day working at dennys as a hostess was enjoyable. My duties was to meet and greet customer as they enter the resturant clean and fold cutlery, wipe down table and chairs, cashed take out orders places in store or over the phone for take out.

Dennys all of my co-workers where nice and supportive they help me understand the rules and let me know the ins and outs of Dennys which made it a lot easier for me.

What i enjoyed most about Dennys was that everyone got along and worked as a team
Pros
discount on food
Cons
the shirft the wanted to offer me
very busy work place
Over Night Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Calgary ABJanuary 25, 2013
a typical day: we do not have enough cook, we try our best to do a lot of things
I learn how to do cooking and preparing effectively
The management did their best to achieve the overall service of the whole restaurant
the hardest part of the job is trying to do too many orders with the minimum amount of time during the rush hour
The most enjoyable part is have some nice co-workers and managers
Pros
a good place to start learning cooking
Cons
not enough income in winter
Fun and always changing
Shift supervisor/Server (Former Employee) –  Delta, BCJanuary 27, 2013
I started with Dennys as a server. after aprox. six months the owner of this franchise, approached me and asked if I would like to assume the role of Service Coodinator. (shift supervisor) for 1-5 days a week, depending on the needs of the business. As a supervisor, I was given the responiblites of managing the restaurant on my shift. shift change cash out proceedures, and oversaw 4-12 staff per shift. As a server, I gave our guests superior service. Cash handling, liquor service, training new staff, and general housekeeping duties.
Pros
fun, great people, good solid company to work for.
Cons
not a safe environment, ive had to involve the police dozens of times to ensure staff safety.
Fast paced and a great environment.
Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC, CanadaFebruary 23, 2012
The work is always constant, not really challenging, but speed and friendliness are in the job description. A person is never in complete solitude, the other employees tend to be agreeable. The customers can be a hassle, drunk, rowdy, or just simply in a grumpy mood, but again, it's all in the job description. A good job for someone who doesn't mind a little repitition.
Pros
50% off for all empoyees, 25% for friends and family, friendly.
Cons
short breaks, boring at times, hard to keep up with.
Very accurate, fun and productive.
HOST (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBSeptember 6, 2012
It's kinda busy in the morning and in the evenings it depends. i learned how to take payments, work in a fast-paced, how to be organized and how to make some drinks and desserts. My co-workers are very friendly and very helpful. the hardest part of the job is that when i'm in a multi-tasking situation. And the most enjoyable part of the job is that you can be yourself when you're at work.
Pros
discount on your food to eat
fun working environment.
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONNovember 18, 2014
it was very easy, and an out going environment to work in. i learned that hard work and dedication pays off at the end. my co workers were very nice and helpful towards me. management worked very professionally and did their job properly which i liked very much. the hardest part of the job was trying to seat the customers as a hostess and having no seats to place them in which was very difficult and making the customers wait which is unkind gesture. the most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the customers, meeting new people and making new friends; and also short shifts were very nice and proper for me to have. having a positive environment around me help me to do my job in a better and a productive way which i enjoyed doing very much. lastly, i enjoyed working with everyone around me, and they all treated me very well , which i liked doing a lot.
Pros
50 % off on food.
Cons
dealing with customers was sometimes difficult for me.

2.9