Denny's
1,535 reviews

Denny's Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
A restaurant with a tight-knit community.
Waitress (Current Employee), Revelstoke, BCJanuary 18, 2014
Pros: the harder and faster you work, the more tables you are able to serve while maintaining great costumer service, the more money you will make.
Cons: when the restaurant is in it's slow season, the hours of all staff members are cut.
Denny's, overall, has been a great and fulfilling experience. I enjoy the fast pasted environment, and to be ambitious at Denny's means you will be successful.
The hardest part about my job would have to be making sure not to take on too much; being ambitious I want to take on as much work as I can, but I have to keep costumer satisfaction in mind and know my boundaries.

The best part about working at Denny's is the tight-knit and friendly network of people. Serving is obviously a very social job, between waitress and costumer, and meeting their needs is a pleasure, but specifically working along-side the rest of the staff members; the waitresses, waiters, cooks, server assistants and managers has always been enjoyable.
Many of my closest friends have been made at Denny's and it is a pleasure to work with them.
good place to eat and ok to work
Hostess (Former Employee), London onJanuary 11, 2014
Pros: the chance to move up
Cons: managers not on the same page most days
my work day involved me standing at the hostess station and greeting guests, sometimes i would run food for the servers if we where really busy at nights i would do so cleaning as well . the management are all over the place some have certain ways they want things done while others do as well
Professional and a place which always gives you opportunities to grow
General Manager (Current Employee), Prince George, BCDecember 28, 2013
Started off as a Cook with this company in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.
i had the skills to grow and start in hospitality but got this opportunity from Denny's.
The most enjoyable part of my job is bringing balance with my customers, staff, bosses and making sure everything works smooth.
overall good
service assistant (Former Employee), Surrey, BCDecember 19, 2013
Pros: good people
Cons: less hours
typical day at work that when I felt pain in my stomach due to pregnancy. I improved my language there and I learnt some cooking recipes from there.Management and co-workers were good.Keeping the dishes on there place was the enjoyable part of the job.
Server
Server (Former Employee), 170 street and Yellowhead Flying JDecember 19, 2013
Pros: 50% discount on food when working, 25% when not on shift and is usuable at any dennys.
Cons: sometimes long hours, shift work
Greeted and followed sequence for where customers were to be seated,
processed orders taken and input them into the POS system
Made sure orders were correct then would serve the order to the customer.
Follow up on food and that drinks were filled and customers were happy
Offered dessert and cleaned tables
Took payment and cleared the order in POS
Job was enjoyable, Enjoyed serving the customers and working with my wonderful management team and co-workers.
Loved being a server
Server (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 5, 2013
I loved my team of servers, and enjoyed the customers. My biggest issue with the company was that the managers would send people home leaving you with one maybe two people to cover the front of house during lunch rush.. thats over 40 tables that can sit 4-8 people, and 20 two person tables, plus the bar with no bar training. The split shifts made it really hard to have any time with my child as i was constantly commuting to and from work. There seemed to be a huge gap between what the servers had to do before leaving and what management had to do. Seemed often that they would take off whenever even in the middle of a rush.
Busy ;engaging ;high energy
Server/Supervisor (Former Employee), Brampton, ONNovember 22, 2013
Pros: decent money
Cons: feast or famine!!
hours not great; on site management very helpful; good staff!!
Niagara Falls Denny's employment
Afternoon Server (Current Employee), Niagara Falls, ONNovember 3, 2013
My employment here has been mediocre. There is problems with some of the managment that inhibits enjoyment working here. Gossip and favouring are common.

Gratuity here, especially in the afternoons shift (Denny's is famous for breakfast), is all right at best.

Dealing with tourists and language barriers cause for a frustrating environment.

Division of labour is often unfairly divided and monitored.

There is a big problem with the lack of team work in this workplace.

A good portion of the employees are nice to work with.

Consistency in rules and discipline is lacking and bias.

Stable/reliable work is still available in post-summer seasons.

There is a lack for a full bar option (only bottled beer and simple wells are available), which does not help with my personal growth interest (bartending).

Advancement within is slim. Pay raise is unheard of with non-Management staff.
Great place to work with a fun atmosphere
Host (Former Employee), Niagara Falls, ONOctober 28, 2013
The management worked effectively and efficiently with the staff to make sure all customers concerns and issues were met.
Service Assistant (S.A) (Former Employee), Greater Napanee, ONOctober 10, 2013
Pros: some free drinks
I enjoyed working as a dishwasher, I liked that it was a simple job nothing to complain about, friendly business
nice in relaxing but to much drama
Host/Server (Former Employee), Oceanside, CASeptember 20, 2013
there was always business, schedule was fine but managers had their favorites and sometimes barley did anything
mangement kept it fun for everyone
LINE / PREP COOK (Former Employee), Prince George, BCSeptember 16, 2013
Pros: freee food
Cons: not knowing if i was doing regular hours or a double shifts.
Working here i didnt know if I was going to do a regular days work or if I was going to be doing a double. Either way i enjoyed working with the morning staff, the mid staff, the night stafff, even the late night staff. It was always a different staff.
I learned how manage my time working here. cause working different shifts all the time i had to learn this so i had time for family before or after work.
All the managers that i worked with where very fun and out going. i dont think there ever was a dull moment. they had races for quick prep, challenges for the staff for cleaning. It was very interesting. Beacuse i wasnt in a certain staff. So i kinda helped everyone .
Id have to say the hardest part was the steaks because i didnt have a lot of experiences in this area. But i did get the hang of it after awhile.
i enjoyed the racing with management to get prep done in the evening shift. and the challenges they came up with while i was there.
very long hours
Restaurant Manager (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBSeptember 12, 2013
- not a great fit for me
- no work/life balance
- i enjoyed interacting with the guests
fun at times but terrible management
Cook (Former Employee), Prince George, B.C.September 10, 2013
Pros: free lunches and milkshakes
Cons: odd shift schedules, and bad management
worked hard for very little money, and had bad management. There were some employees i really liked which helped me stay there untill i was done schooling. Once i graduated i quit and have been looking for work ever since.
ran night shift
Prep cook (Former Employee), calgaryAugust 6, 2013
stocking shelves,making orders,putting away stock.helping new staff working on night shift.
Great job for me
Dishwasher & busser (Former Employee), edmonton AbAugust 2, 2013
Pros: half price food
good work i like it but problem of manager
work @ 3 pm to 11 pm sometime work @ 7 am to 3 pm
good 1/2 half discount price like 50off
great good work there
great job
Head Hostess/Waiters (Former Employee), niagara falls ontJuly 24, 2013
Pros: free lunches, great manager
I enjoyed being head hostess/ server at dennys on lundys lane I was very upseat when it closed down I would still be working there if it was still open
Friendly work place
Hostess (Former Employee), Regina, SKJune 3, 2013
I never had any problems working at Denny's. The other staff was always very friendly, and my job was quite simple and easy thanks to the wonderful customers
Good first job
Line Cook (Former Employee), Whitby, ONJune 3, 2013
Good first job, from what I can remember training was good. Overall good experience for it being a first job
horrable training
Line cook/Prep cook (Former Employee), Cranbrook, BCJune 1, 2013
Pros: learned how to cook new recipes
horable working envirment. under age servers selling liqure and working overnights alone

About Denny's

Since 1953, we have served quality food and healthy portions at a fair price. No matter where we are, our light is always on inviting – Read more