Denny's Employee Reviews

Quiet
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC1 February 2016
I had only spent one day there. The typical day I had learned, from the small conversations I had before and after I went into volunteer work, is busy. I had learned further communication skills. I did not meet management. My co-workers were respectful and helpful. The hardest part of the job is the repetition. It was just an enjoyable experience to begin with.
Not a very prodcutive work place
Restaurant Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB.12 August 2015
-poor quality managment
-poor salary
-no room for advancement
-poor hours and work life balance
-poor quality of staff
-no apprecaiton of staff
-toxic work enviornment
Work is worship
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 June 2016
Busy day is always my typical day

not only learned but always learning also

Great job

Coworkers are sincere and hard workers

Not hardest nothing to impossible.

Every part of my job is enjoyable.
Pros
lunch
Cons
long hrs
Relaxed environment, but some lazy supervisors/managers
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC20 June 2016
I followed more rules some times than the supervisors and managers did, the job was pretty relaxed, decent pay, okay hours, but they need to have more serious staff some times and be more proactive.
Good time with co-wrkers
Restaurant Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 March 2016
Enjoyed my stay with the company and co-managers.
great work place but with long hours and pen 24/7. so very little time for family.
Pros
free food
Cons
10 hour shift
demanding working environment
Host/Server (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 November 2015
Not open with my availabilities
co-workers are nice
management are not easy to talk to
fast paced working environment
Not a place to build a career
Received good experience with different kinds of people in a busy restaraunt.
Server, hostess and busser. (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC11 February 2014
A typical day at work would consist of taking an order from a customer and bringing the correctly ordered dish back to their table and meeting their every request with a skip in my step and a smile on my face. Once I the customer was finished I would clear their plates away as they were done and told them that I would see them next time and to have a great day.

I learned patience and the importance of getting the correctly ordered plate into the order of the kitchen.

Management was good for accommodating to my schedule since I played competitive soccer.

The hardest part of my job would be getting there. Denny's was across town and I only had a pedal bike. I had to be very organized and had to have good time management skills.

The most enjoyable part of my job was having a customer and putting a smile on their face. Saying jokes when the opportunity presented itself and having the customer say that they were happy that I served them.
Pros
Worked with great people
Cons
Difficulty getting to work.
Good for beginners that are managing
Manager (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WA15 February 2016
Long Hours
Good to learn the basics
Great team to work with
Limited options to learn as a manager
Late night shifts are long and hard on the weekends
Pros
Free Meal
Cons
Long Hours
Wicked work environment
Host/Server (Former Employee) –  Headingley, MB27 August 2015
A typical day at work is like any other serving position you can think of with an added bonus of great laughs and even better stories.

I learned a great deal about how fun it can be to interact with the public along with attempting new ways to chat with customers.

Management at Denny's is great and very understanding.

Co-workers were hilarious and super easy to work with and around.

Hardest part of the job was getting swamped with tables and dealing with patrons that were upset. Even that was easier once my experience with customers improved.

The most enjoyable part was the team-work and the perks of eating food at work was not too bad!
Pros
Free lunches and dinners
Cons
Angry customers
Server
Server (Former Employee) –  170 street and Yellowhead Flying J19 December 2013
Greeted and followed sequence for where customers were to be seated,
processed orders taken and input them into the POS system
Made sure orders were correct then would serve the order to the customer.
Follow up on food and that drinks were filled and customers were happy
Offered dessert and cleaned tables
Took payment and cleared the order in POS
Job was enjoyable, Enjoyed serving the customers and working with my wonderful management team and co-workers.
Pros
50% discount on food when working, 25% when not on shift and is usuable at any Dennys.
Cons
Sometimes long hours, shift work
In an area of few opportunities, this establishment provided work for many.
Server (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON15 April 2015
Interesting people to serve on a daily basis with ongoing time constraints. How to satisfy the customer as quickly as possible was a constant challenge. An absentee management trend hurt the business after a ownership change. Being positive in a difficult work environment was the key to success. Seeing customers leave and return happy was the best part of the job.
Pros
24 hour work place
Cons
little job security
Staff were fun to work with
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON26 May 2016
It was an alright job. I dishwashed every day making minimum wage. Stuff were fun and enjoyable people to work with. Hours weren't bad either and they accomodated to what I could work.
Place for hardwork
Restaurant Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 October 2015
A good place to work, there is a oppoutunity to advancement in career, but salary and benefits are very low , when compare to the current market.
Wish I could go back and not work there
Server (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON31 January 2016
When I applied, I stated I had open availability than heard it was 24 hours. I agreed to work some over night shifts but not all. What happened was they decided to put me on full time night shift only and ignored my requests to have some evening or morning shifts. That went on for a few months.

A typical day at work would be getting to work and punching in, taking temperatures and starting prep and side work. I started at 11pm and finished at 7am. The restaurant was very quiet during the night. I would be lucky if people came in. Actually I would be lucky if people came in sober. I had to deal with a lot of young drunk adults which was not very pleasant. The cooks were amazing and we got along well during the night. Actually the first night manager, the cooks and I would always have our break at the same time and sit together and talk. We were like a small family until that manager left and it went down to just myself and the cook at night.

It started off fantastic at first, I was so proud to work for Denny's but the longer I was there, the unhappier I got. Since working nights, I had no life besides work and sleep. I'm young so for me having time to myself and time to hang with friends was very important to me. The stress kept building up and most of the managers simply didn't care.

There were a few really good managers there which unfortunately got overlooked by the ones who didn't do much. One of the best ones landed up leaving and being replaced with one who wasn't so great. Though I heard they're back so I'm glad for that as everyone agreed the place went downhill
  more... after the good manager left. Perhaps they'll be able to save the business.

I got along with 98% of my co-workers. There was one that no one liked as she would act like she was the boss of the place and would get mad if you dont do things her way. She was the one getting the hours and she wasn't that great at her job. There was definitely favouritism there but away from that everyone else was fantastic and I actually really miss working with them. We all helped each other out.

The hardest part of the job was working overnights, especially around Ramadan when it would be just the cook and I when a big family came in. At one point the restaurant was full and it got too overwhelming. Thank god one of the managers were staying in the hotel at the time. They did a good job making sure that didn't happen again by having a second server on until 3am as backup.

Overall, the place isn't the greatest to work but after some recent experiences, I wouldn't say they were the worst. Just be prepared for the amount of politics going on there.
Pros
Serving experience, co-workers
Cons
Horrible hours, most management don't care about employees, Hard work for low wage
Dennys
Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB15 June 2016
Everyone in the world is required to work at Denny at-least once in their life. its pretty awesome..
Good job for student
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 January 2016
Flexible hours for a student and a good first time job. It's a good customer service experience and stepping stone into the customer service industry.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Not easy for advancement
nice work atmosphere ,I really had a good time working for Denny's restaurant
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 March 2016
I worked with the evening and night crew , I was dishwasher/service assistant. My job was to maintain the store and dishes clean, and to help the waiters and waitresses clear tables. My experience there was fun and educating, the staff was amazing and the food really good. I learned some new skills that I can use later on in my life.
Pros
good hours
Cons
layoffs
So So place to work but pleaent staff
Dishwasher and store maintenance (Former Employee) –  2452 Queen Street E. Brampton ON17 June 2015
I had the late shift from midnight to 9 am and later if I had to put away food and supplies. I learned to properly set up a freezer and cold room to make it easy for the cooks and servers to access How to plan and prepare some of Denny"s Grand Slam meals.
Management was not the greatest to that end the Restaurant went into Bankruptcy and nobody was warned. The store was seized by the bailiff with an sign on the door and the place locked.
The co-workers on whole where great and backed each other up.
The hardest part of the job was using the dish washing equipment so out of date and service it required that I had to do a clothes wash each day even when wearing protective gear.
Enjoyable part of the work was the staff personal .
Pros
Easy acces from home and to transporation
Cons
Lack of vacation time based on time employed
Good experience for a first time job
Hostess - Duties (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 February 2016
A typical day at Denny's, usually clock in, greet customers, answer the phone for take out orders or directions for customers. Always kept the restaurant clean by busing tables and cleaning the restrooms or dinning floor. The hardest part of the job was dealing with impatient customers but knowing that you have a keep a leveled head and be respectful to and patient with a customer. Most enjoyable part of my job was meeting new people, and learning new things from my fellow co-workers.
A very busy restaurant. A lot of hard workers that make the business what it is.
Server (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON21 February 2016
Servers and cooks stick together. Need experienced dish washers and more cooks on line. Running the kitchen with minimal staff. Feel sorry for the cooks watching them scramble. All it takes is a lousy general manager to make the workplace a horrible place to work for even for the most experienced server and cook.
Pros
Experienced staff hold things together.
Cons
messed up hours and no free lunch.

2.9