Denny's Employee Reviews

good food
clean.
very family orientated
great hours and flexability
Managers were respectful and honest
staff were almost like family to eachother
good place to make wonderful friends.
Pros
free food
Cons
empty promises
good for a starter job
Dishwasher / Cook (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC5 February 2016
cleaning the restaurant, completing side-work, making sure tables and booths were bussed for servers and customers, washing dishes for cooks and customers. I learned how to multi-task, and customer service (when applicable). Management was good for the most part, they were helpful to a point but sometimes they'd get a little frustrated and take it out on the employees. My co-workers were also good for the most part, some had the tendency to complain too much and it made for a bad day at work, aside from that we for the most part had a good camaraderie and could work together to get things done. The hardest part of the job was honestly maintaining the cleanliness of the restaurant due to high traffic/volume of customers coming in and out. The most enjoyable was getting to meet new people from all kinds of different backgrounds and learning new things as far as different jobs to do in the restaurant itself.
Pros
meeting new people, great starter job
Cons
pay's not really all that great
Quiet
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC1 February 2016
I had only spent one day there. The typical day I had learned, from the small conversations I had before and after I went into volunteer work, is busy. I had learned further communication skills. I did not meet management. My co-workers were respectful and helpful. The hardest part of the job is the repetition. It was just an enjoyable experience to begin with.
Good experience for a first time job
Hostess - Duties (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 February 2016
A typical day at Denny's, usually clock in, greet customers, answer the phone for take out orders or directions for customers. Always kept the restaurant clean by busing tables and cleaning the restrooms or dinning floor. The hardest part of the job was dealing with impatient customers but knowing that you have a keep a leveled head and be respectful to and patient with a customer. Most enjoyable part of my job was meeting new people, and learning new things from my fellow co-workers.
Wish I could go back and not work there
Server (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON31 January 2016
When I applied, I stated I had open availability than heard it was 24 hours. I agreed to work some over night shifts but not all. What happened was they decided to put me on full time night shift only and ignored my requests to have some evening or morning shifts. That went on for a few months.

A typical day at work would be getting to work and punching in, taking temperatures and starting prep and side work. I started at 11pm and finished at 7am. The restaurant was very quiet during the night. I would be lucky if people came in. Actually I would be lucky if people came in sober. I had to deal with a lot of young drunk adults which was not very pleasant. The cooks were amazing and we got along well during the night. Actually the first night manager, the cooks and I would always have our break at the same time and sit together and talk. We were like a small family until that manager left and it went down to just myself and the cook at night.

It started off fantastic at first, I was so proud to work for Denny's but the longer I was there, the unhappier I got. Since working nights, I had no life besides work and sleep. I'm young so for me having time to myself and time to hang with friends was very important to me. The stress kept building up and most of the managers simply didn't care.

There were a few really good managers there which unfortunately got overlooked by the ones who didn't do much. One of the best ones landed up leaving and being replaced with one who wasn't so great. Though I heard they're back so I'm glad for that as everyone agreed the place went downhill
  more... after the good manager left. Perhaps they'll be able to save the business.

I got along with 98% of my co-workers. There was one that no one liked as she would act like she was the boss of the place and would get mad if you dont do things her way. She was the one getting the hours and she wasn't that great at her job. There was definitely favouritism there but away from that everyone else was fantastic and I actually really miss working with them. We all helped each other out.

The hardest part of the job was working overnights, especially around Ramadan when it would be just the cook and I when a big family came in. At one point the restaurant was full and it got too overwhelming. Thank god one of the managers were staying in the hotel at the time. They did a good job making sure that didn't happen again by having a second server on until 3am as backup.

Overall, the place isn't the greatest to work but after some recent experiences, I wouldn't say they were the worst. Just be prepared for the amount of politics going on there.
Pros
Serving experience, co-workers
Cons
Horrible hours, most management don't care about employees, Hard work for low wage
Good job for student
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 January 2016
Flexible hours for a student and a good first time job. It's a good customer service experience and stepping stone into the customer service industry.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Not easy for advancement
Great staff members fun to work with.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC13 January 2016
A very busy restaurant, fast paced, well organized, opened 24 hours. the training systems and menu rollouts again where well organized.
Pros
fun work enviornment
Cons
supposed to be a four manager team, only me for long time.
demanding working environment
Host/Server (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 November 2015
Not open with my availabilities
co-workers are nice
management are not easy to talk to
fast paced working environment
Not a place to build a career
Fun place to work
supervisor manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario26 November 2015
Typical restaurant sever experience. Good ownership and loyal co-workers made it a great place to work. Long hours often interfered with my home life but the pay was very good.
Pros
Great money and fast paced
Cons
work/life balane was not good
Best place to work
food service supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 November 2015
Dennys is one of the popular fast food Restaurant in Canada and US. Being part of this company i got a chance to develop my management skills.
lack of happiness at work
Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON22 October 2015
work at denny's hasnt been easy, having to deal with teenaged dishwashers who tends to ignore and do things thier own way and tends to be slow during busy hours.
alot of servers, line cooks and dishwashers has been quitting work and goes somewhere else. Not enough hours given to everyone. I plan to leave once I find other job elsewhere.
Pros
50% discount on food
Cons
neglecting to clean things up such as walls and floors, garbages outside needs to be picked up
Friendly Atmosphere
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 October 2015
great teamwork skills learned, gained cash experience and balancing daily receipts...the schedule during the day was hectic and kept the day going by fast...met people which I enjoy doing.
Place for hardwork
Restaurant Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 October 2015
A good place to work, there is a oppoutunity to advancement in career, but salary and benefits are very low , when compare to the current market.
Not a very good place financially
Line Cook/Prep (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 October 2015
Most of the staff get along but there are plenty of times during the busy hours where the pleasantness definitely fades away. You get one free meal if you work in the kitchen on the line but because of management being too lazy for so long people take advantage of it.
Pros
Free meals for cooks
Cons
No Raises
nice place to work
Restaurant Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 September 2015
this is an island basically tourist place,everyday you have different people to serve,talk them,people are coming from around the world
Overall Good
Server/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Mississauga9 September 2015
Good employer, approachable.
Work was very busy, fair with number of tables and rotation of tables.
Staff were supportive
Strong sanitation ethics, lots of regular deep cleaning
Learned a lot about restaurant business
Had an opportunity to even manage overnights at times.
Denny's
Server (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB6 September 2015
I learned a lot about the food service industry. My training was top notch. I was hired before the grand opening, I received extensive train by great leaders within the Denny's corporation. I was trained to promote new menu items as well as suggest products to enhance meals and over all guest satisfaction. I enjoy working with the public and giving great customer service.
Pros
Flexible hours
Wicked work environment
Host/Server (Former Employee) –  Headingley, MB27 August 2015
A typical day at work is like any other serving position you can think of with an added bonus of great laughs and even better stories.

I learned a great deal about how fun it can be to interact with the public along with attempting new ways to chat with customers.

Management at Denny's is great and very understanding.

Co-workers were hilarious and super easy to work with and around.

Hardest part of the job was getting swamped with tables and dealing with patrons that were upset. Even that was easier once my experience with customers improved.

The most enjoyable part was the team-work and the perks of eating food at work was not too bad!
Pros
Free lunches and dinners
Cons
Angry customers
Dishwasher for utensils and dishes and Cook (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON17 August 2015
I cooked food for guests and washed the dishes and utensils. I also unloaded the truck and placed the food in the freezer and refrigerator.
Not a very prodcutive work place
Restaurant Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB.12 August 2015
-poor quality managment
-poor salary
-no room for advancement
-poor hours and work life balance
-poor quality of staff