Denny's Employee Reviews in Canada

Overall what you'd expect from a franchise
Line Cook, Certified Trainer (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BCMay 18, 2016
Im looking for more advancement than they are able to provide. This is causing me to look for work outside the Northland company.
Pros
Most of the staff are excellent
Cons
I do not feel comfortable with putting the company down
demanding working environment
Host/Server (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBNovember 28, 2015
Not open with my availabilities
co-workers are nice
management are not easy to talk to
fast paced working environment
Not a place to build a career
Fun place to work
supervisor manager (Former Employee) –  OntarioNovember 26, 2015
Typical restaurant sever experience. Good ownership and loyal co-workers made it a great place to work. Long hours often interfered with my home life but the pay was very good.
Pros
Great money and fast paced
Cons
work/life balane was not good
good student work
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONApril 18, 2016
Good place to work at as a student. The supervisors were awesome but the management wasn't very good in the second half due to a management change. A typical day of work was cooking, cleaning and prepping for the next day workers.
Work is worship
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 18, 2016
Busy day is always my typical day

not only learned but always learning also

Great job

Coworkers are sincere and hard workers

Not hardest nothing to impossible.

Every part of my job is enjoyable.
Pros
lunch
Cons
long hrs
Excellent place to work
Certified Trainer / Senior Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, ABFebruary 17, 2016
I worked before with the same company and at present i am working too. It has been an excellent journey so far with this comapny and so on for future.
Pros
Free Meal, Hourly Tips and Opportunity to upgrade
Cons
N/A
Staff were fun to work with
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ONMay 26, 2016
It was an alright job. I dishwashed every day making minimum wage. Stuff were fun and enjoyable people to work with. Hours weren't bad either and they accomodated to what I could work.
Never ever work in denny's
SERVER (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCApril 16, 2016
Its not that bad of a company
But the food industry in general is not that good to work for
Its a good job as a stepping stone
But I learned a lot in customer service and management skills
Pros
N/A
Cons
Poor management
i like making orders quickly
line Cook (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 20, 2016
I learned american cooking there specially pancakes and stakes, the management is good hardest part of my job is when they put me in night shifts
Pros
free meal
Cons
regular hours
Wicked work environment
Host/Server (Former Employee) –  Headingley, MBAugust 27, 2015
A typical day at work is like any other serving position you can think of with an added bonus of great laughs and even better stories.

I learned a great deal about how fun it can be to interact with the public along with attempting new ways to chat with customers.

Management at Denny's is great and very understanding.

Co-workers were hilarious and super easy to work with and around.

Hardest part of the job was getting swamped with tables and dealing with patrons that were upset. Even that was easier once my experience with customers improved.

The most enjoyable part was the team-work and the perks of eating food at work was not too bad!
Pros
Free lunches and dinners
Cons
Angry customers
Niagara Falls Denny's employment
Afternoon Server (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONNovember 3, 2013
My employment here has been mediocre. There is problems with some of the managment that inhibits enjoyment working here. Gossip and favouring are common.

Gratuity here, especially in the afternoons shift (Denny's is famous for breakfast), is all right at best.

Dealing with tourists and language barriers cause for a frustrating environment.

Division of labour is often unfairly divided and monitored.

There is a big problem with the lack of team work in this workplace.

A good portion of the employees are nice to work with.

Consistency in rules and discipline is lacking and bias.

Stable/reliable work is still available in post-summer seasons.

There is a lack for a full bar option (only bottled beer and simple wells are available), which does not help with my personal growth interest (bartending).

Advancement within is slim. Pay raise is unheard of with non-Management staff.
boring
DISHWASHER (Former Employee) –  Portage la Prairie, MBApril 29, 2016
wasn't a fun place to work. To strict with what was allowed. Hardest part of the job was not being able to relax enough to have fun with co workers
nice environment
Server (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 9, 2016
great environment
great staff
good food
clean.
very family orientated
great hours and flexability
Managers were respectful and honest
staff were almost like family to eachother
good place to make wonderful friends.
Pros
free food
Cons
empty promises
Dennys
Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABJune 15, 2016
Everyone in the world is required to work at Denny at-least once in their life. its pretty awesome..
Wish I could go back and not work there
Server (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONJanuary 31, 2016
When I applied, I stated I had open availability than heard it was 24 hours. I agreed to work some over night shifts but not all. What happened was they decided to put me on full time night shift only and ignored my requests to have some evening or morning shifts. That went on for a few months.

A typical day at work would be getting to work and punching in, taking temperatures and starting prep and side work. I started at 11pm and finished at 7am. The restaurant was very quiet during the night. I would be lucky if people came in. Actually I would be lucky if people came in sober. I had to deal with a lot of young drunk adults which was not very pleasant. The cooks were amazing and we got along well during the night. Actually the first night manager, the cooks and I would always have our break at the same time and sit together and talk. We were like a small family until that manager left and it went down to just myself and the cook at night.

It started off fantastic at first, I was so proud to work for Denny's but the longer I was there, the unhappier I got. Since working nights, I had no life besides work and sleep. I'm young so for me having time to myself and time to hang with friends was very important to me. The stress kept building up and most of the managers simply didn't care.

There were a few really good managers there which unfortunately got overlooked by the ones who didn't do much. One of the best ones landed up leaving and being replaced with one who wasn't so great. Though I heard they're back so I'm glad for that as everyone agreed the place went downhill
  more... after the good manager left. Perhaps they'll be able to save the business.

I got along with 98% of my co-workers. There was one that no one liked as she would act like she was the boss of the place and would get mad if you dont do things her way. She was the one getting the hours and she wasn't that great at her job. There was definitely favouritism there but away from that everyone else was fantastic and I actually really miss working with them. We all helped each other out.

The hardest part of the job was working overnights, especially around Ramadan when it would be just the cook and I when a big family came in. At one point the restaurant was full and it got too overwhelming. Thank god one of the managers were staying in the hotel at the time. They did a good job making sure that didn't happen again by having a second server on until 3am as backup.

Overall, the place isn't the greatest to work but after some recent experiences, I wouldn't say they were the worst. Just be prepared for the amount of politics going on there.
Pros
Serving experience, co-workers
Cons
Horrible hours, most management don't care about employees, Hard work for low wage
Great staff members fun to work with.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCJanuary 13, 2016
A very busy restaurant, fast paced, well organized, opened 24 hours. the training systems and menu rollouts again where well organized.
Pros
fun work enviornment
Cons
supposed to be a four manager team, only me for long time.
lack of happiness at work
Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONOctober 22, 2015
work at denny's hasnt been easy, having to deal with teenaged dishwashers who tends to ignore and do things thier own way and tends to be slow during busy hours.
alot of servers, line cooks and dishwashers has been quitting work and goes somewhere else. Not enough hours given to everyone. I plan to leave once I find other job elsewhere.
Pros
50% discount on food
Cons
neglecting to clean things up such as walls and floors, garbages outside needs to be picked up
Best place to work
food service supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 9, 2015
Dennys is one of the popular fast food Restaurant in Canada and US. Being part of this company i got a chance to develop my management skills.
So So place to work but pleaent staff
Dishwasher and store maintenance (Former Employee) –  2452 Queen Street E. Brampton ONJune 17, 2015
I had the late shift from midnight to 9 am and later if I had to put away food and supplies. I learned to properly set up a freezer and cold room to make it easy for the cooks and servers to access How to plan and prepare some of Denny"s Grand Slam meals.
Management was not the greatest to that end the Restaurant went into Bankruptcy and nobody was warned. The store was seized by the bailiff with an sign on the door and the place locked.
The co-workers on whole where great and backed each other up.
The hardest part of the job was using the dish washing equipment so out of date and service it required that I had to do a clothes wash each day even when wearing protective gear.
Enjoyable part of the work was the staff personal .
Pros
Easy acces from home and to transporation
Cons
Lack of vacation time based on time employed
Very low hours, usually rude managment. NO raises
Cook (Former Employee) –  Fort Erie, ONAugust 20, 2014
Don't follow head office rules and regulations. No PPE, food stored too long, improper food handling practices. Never a pay raise, treated like mules. Oh most enjoyable part of the job was GOING HOME AT THE END OF SHIFT!