Denny's Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive and fun Place to work.
Restaurant Manager (Current Employee), Regina, SKSeptember 16, 2014
Pros: free meals when working
Cons: long hours and rotation on shifts
A typical day at work starts really early at 6.30 am, I need to be on time to check that last night staff is leaving the restaurant in decent conditions for the next shift. I am responsible of closing the day sales, ensuring all numbers and cash/debit moneys balance.

Before 7am., a walk through the restaurant has been completed immediate risk or urgent matters have been corrected, time card have been adjusted and I am ready to close the day sales and change the till money for next day operations.

I set the floor plan for the day servers with section rotation to give everyone same opportunity to rotate sections in the restaurant.

Once the cash out is done, I finish the walk through book taking and reviewing temperatures in both front of the house and kitchen, at the same time a list of additional activities by job code is delivered to them to work through the shift and have tasks done before leaving.

Now I am ready to do office work and preform the End od Day Reports, Review Room charges and balance reports, once they are done, I send the main ones to head officce and to our District Sales Manager, prepare the deposit and commit sales.

I review my Outlook and check the emails and work on them, I open our Scheduling tool and open communication with staff, review schedules for the week and perform changes and adjustments if needed and answer their questions and requests.

If a maintenance service is required I call the company involved to make the report and schedule a visit.

Now it is time to go and check the restaurant, do another walk through and check kitchen and stations – more... to ensure everything is perfect. I really enjoy talking to our guests and asking questions to be sure they are fully satisfied with our food and service.

After this I evaluate staff according to performance and coach them in opportunnity areas to improve and congratulate them in public when done.

There is always something to do, either interviews for new staff or review the staff training records or do special deep cleaning or perform a detail inventory for the end of month or answer P & L questions to Head Officce, prepare for a meeting or a Conference call.

We are always on the go and very active.

I think I have reached great experience working for the company for more than 5 years and I am ready for new challenges. – less
An extremely fast-paced environment
Line Cook (Former Employee), Niagara Falls, ONJuly 7, 2014
Pros: fast paced, time flew, everyone had a good time
Cons: management could do a better job
Denny's was rather intense. For the most part I was the fry-guy, but I worked the other stations as well. I worked the day shift usually. When it came time to rock and roll for the breakfast customers, it was nonstop and I loved it. Jerry was the kitchen manager and he was a great guy. Everyone on the line worked well together and there was never any "I think I'm better than you" attitudes. When it comes to upper management that's a different story. I worked there for over a year without so much as even a performance review. I don't even think they knew my name! Every week the tip pool got smaller for the kitchen staff and it got bigger for management. They would come into the kitchen while we were working to grab a bite, and they made us feel like we were in their way. On a brighter note...I was alone working the evening shift one day and someone came in to order an all-day breakfast. I did my thing and a little while later the server came up to me and said "That customer says he eats at Denny's in the States all the time and this was the best breakfast he's ever had". Kinda made me feel good.
Productive and entertaining place to work.
Busser (Former Employee), Niagara Falls, ONMarch 20, 2014
Pros: breaks and meals
Cons: long hairs and no tips
At Denny's, a typical day at work for me as a busser would be simply cleaning tables, bringing the dirty dishes to the dishwasher, supervising the bathrooms and attending to customers when servers were busy and performing what was asked immediately. I would also have a duty to vacuum the carpet, clean the restrooms, and sweep and mop the kitchen at the end of each shift.
Being a busser, I learned a lot of different techniques. I learned all the duties I previously explained, how to work with customers, how to take care of my own bank account and I also learned to be patient when it comes to managers and customers.
My co-workers were very hard working, respectful and enjoyable. They also helped me when needed, kept me great company and were always reliable.
The hardest part of the job was having extremely long shifts back to back! But I was a very hard working employee so I appreciated the hours I was assigned each week.
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people every day. I love interacting with people so that was the most enjoyable part of being a busser at Denny's.
Received good experience with different kinds of people in a busy restaraunt.
Server, hostess and busser. (Former Employee), Kamloops, BCFebruary 11, 2014
Pros: worked with great people
Cons: difficulty getting to work.
A typical day at work would consist of taking an order from a customer and bringing the correctly ordered dish back to their table and meeting their every request with a skip in my step and a smile on my face. Once I the customer was finished I would clear their plates away as they were done and told them that I would see them next time and to have a great day.

I learned patience and the importance of getting the correctly ordered plate into the order of the kitchen.

Management was good for accommodating to my schedule since I played competitive soccer.

The hardest part of my job would be getting there. Denny's was across town and I only had a pedal bike. I had to be very organized and had to have good time management skills.

The most enjoyable part of my job was having a customer and putting a smile on their face. Saying jokes when the opportunity presented itself and having the customer say that they were happy that I served them.
A restaurant with a tight-knit community.
Waitress (Current Employee), Revelstoke, BCJanuary 18, 2014
Pros: the harder and faster you work, the more tables you are able to serve while maintaining great costumer service, the more money you will make.
Cons: when the restaurant is in it's slow season, the hours of all staff members are cut.
Denny's, overall, has been a great and fulfilling experience. I enjoy the fast pasted environment, and to be ambitious at Denny's means you will be successful.
The hardest part about my job would have to be making sure not to take on too much; being ambitious I want to take on as much work as I can, but I have to keep costumer satisfaction in mind and know my boundaries.

The best part about working at Denny's is the tight-knit and friendly network of people. Serving is obviously a very social job, between waitress and costumer, and meeting their needs is a pleasure, but specifically working along-side the rest of the staff members; the waitresses, waiters, cooks, server assistants and managers has always been enjoyable.
Many of my closest friends have been made at Denny's and it is a pleasure to work with them.
mangement kept it fun for everyone
LINE / PREP COOK (Former Employee), Prince George, BCSeptember 16, 2013
Pros: freee food
Cons: not knowing if i was doing regular hours or a double shifts.
Working here i didnt know if I was going to do a regular days work or if I was going to be doing a double. Either way i enjoyed working with the morning staff, the mid staff, the night stafff, even the late night staff. It was always a different staff.
I learned how manage my time working here. cause working different shifts all the time i had to learn this so i had time for family before or after work.
All the managers that i worked with where very fun and out going. i dont think there ever was a dull moment. they had races for quick prep, challenges for the staff for cleaning. It was very interesting. Beacuse i wasnt in a certain staff. So i kinda helped everyone .
Id have to say the hardest part was the steaks because i didnt have a lot of experiences in this area. But i did get the hang of it after awhile.
i enjoyed the racing with management to get prep done in the evening shift. and the challenges they came up with while i was there.
fun working environment.
Hostess (Former Employee), Brampton, ONNovember 18, 2014
Pros: 50 % off on food.
Cons: dealing with customers was sometimes difficult for me.
it was very easy, and an out going environment to work in. i learned that hard work and dedication pays off at the end. my co workers were very nice and helpful towards me. management worked very professionally and did their job properly which i liked very much. the hardest part of the job was trying to seat the customers as a hostess and having no seats to place them in which was very difficult and making the customers wait which is unkind gesture. the most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the customers, meeting new people and making new friends; and also short shifts were very nice and proper for me to have. having a positive environment around me help me to do my job in a better and a productive way which i enjoyed doing very much. lastly, i enjoyed working with everyone around me, and they all treated me very well , which i liked doing a lot.
Niagara Falls Denny's employment
Afternoon Server (Current Employee), Niagara Falls, ONNovember 3, 2013
My employment here has been mediocre. There is problems with some of the managment that inhibits enjoyment working here. Gossip and favouring are common.

Gratuity here, especially in the afternoons shift (Denny's is famous for breakfast), is all right at best.

Dealing with tourists and language barriers cause for a frustrating environment.

Division of labour is often unfairly divided and monitored.

There is a big problem with the lack of team work in this workplace.

A good portion of the employees are nice to work with.

Consistency in rules and discipline is lacking and bias.

Stable/reliable work is still available in post-summer seasons.

There is a lack for a full bar option (only bottled beer and simple wells are available), which does not help with my personal growth interest (bartending).

Advancement within is slim. Pay raise is unheard of with non-Management staff.
So So place to work but pleaent staff
Dishwasher and store maintenance (Former Employee), 2452 Queen Street E. Brampton ONJune 17, 2015
Pros: Easy acces from home and to transporation
Cons: Lack of vacation time based on time employed
I had the late shift from midnight to 9 am and later if I had to put away food and supplies. I learned to properly set up a freezer and cold room to make it easy for the cooks and servers to access How to plan and prepare some of Denny"s Grand Slam meals.
Management was not the greatest to that end the Restaurant went into Bankruptcy and nobody was warned. The store was seized by the bailiff with an sign on the door and the place locked.
The co-workers on whole where great and backed each other up.
The hardest part of the job was using the dish washing equipment so out of date and service it required that I had to do a clothes wash each day even when wearing protective gear.
Enjoyable part of the work was the staff personal .
Fun workplace, great bunch of people to work with
Host/Cashier, Service Assistant, Prep cook (Former Employee), London, ONApril 1, 2013
Pros: friendly coworkers, tips, discounted lunch, clean environment
Cons: shortage of hours, scheduling issues
Co-workers were spectacular people to work with. Everyone carried their own weight around the restaurant, and everyone knew how to work as a team. The hardest part of the job had to be keeping customers in line happy. The restaurant was a humble size, and filled up very easily on weekends. Lineups out the door became difficult to handle, but I was never put in any severely difficult situations working there. It was nice that everyone got along for the most part, and the managment was somewhat understanding of individual situations. However, there was a shortage of hours, and there were scheduling issues once in awhile. Overall it was a nice place to work.
Friendly, personable staff
Service Assistant (Current Employee), CanadaAugust 6, 2012
A typical day at work would be washing dishes and general cleaning, as well as communicating with customers. Throughout my time at Denny's, I learned how to be patient and maintain a positive attitude even in a tense or negative situation. The management at Denny's has not always been up to the standard that it could be, but it has definitely improved in recent months. The managers are vey accomodating and willing to help when needed. The hardest part of my job is managing time. Many of the jobs I must complete during the day, quite often, must be done around the same time, which can be overwhelming at times. The most enjoyable part of the job is communicating with new customers everyday and also with the staff. It is a great atmosphere at Denny's and I enjoy working with all of my co-workers.
fun productive workplace to be in
Line Cook (Former Employee), terrace bcJuly 10, 2014
Pros: half price food while working, and sometimes free
Cons: split shifts or sent home early because of not enough customers
day starts with morning or mid day prep, weighing proper portions for the day depending on time of shift. management is always friendly and full of energy.They are always busy with helping staff where needed and asking guests how there visit was.
Co-workers are always on top of their game in the fast paced environment cooking the bills to order with a smile.
the hardest part of the job i have to say was the night shift.If there wasn't steady cooking,you'd have to keep busy cleaning to not get sleepy
the most enjoyable part was the co-workers,everybody gets along like we were friends since grade school.
Fun and always changing
Shift supervisor/Server (Former Employee), Delta, BCJanuary 27, 2013
Pros: fun, great people, good solid company to work for.
Cons: not a safe environment, ive had to involve the police dozens of times to ensure staff safety.
I started with Dennys as a server. after aprox. six months the owner of this franchise, approached me and asked if I would like to assume the role of Service Coodinator. (shift supervisor) for 1-5 days a week, depending on the needs of the business. As a supervisor, I was given the responiblites of managing the restaurant on my shift. shift change cash out proceedures, and oversaw 4-12 staff per shift. As a server, I gave our guests superior service. Cash handling, liquor service, training new staff, and general housekeeping duties.
Fun work place with great co-worker, dont have to leave if you want breakfast,lunch,or dinner and dessert
Hostess (Former Employee), Mississauga ONAugust 14, 2012
Pros: discount on food
Cons: the shirft the wanted to offer me
A day working at dennys as a hostess was enjoyable. My duties was to meet and greet customer as they enter the resturant clean and fold cutlery, wipe down table and chairs, cashed take out orders places in store or over the phone for take out.

Dennys all of my co-workers where nice and supportive they help me understand the rules and let me know the ins and outs of Dennys which made it a lot easier for me.

What i enjoyed most about Dennys was that everyone got along and worked as a team
Great atmosphere and lovely people
Hostess (Former Employee), Whitby, ONTApril 26, 2015
Pros: Good food, Surrounded by warm people
Cons: Not enough hours
I honestly loved Denny's. I loved the food, the people and the atmosphere of the restaurant.
-When I was working at Denny's, I've learned about it's all about what the customer wants and what the customer needs.
-Management was good, treated me well, thought about my hours and daily schedule.
-The hardest part of the job was being liked by everyone; some people were hateful as I was the 'new girl' and others were more understanding.
-The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing I was working at a food industry that made me happy and paid me right on time.
Loved being a server
Server (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 5, 2013
I loved my team of servers, and enjoyed the customers. My biggest issue with the company was that the managers would send people home leaving you with one maybe two people to cover the front of house during lunch rush.. thats over 40 tables that can sit 4-8 people, and 20 two person tables, plus the bar with no bar training. The split shifts made it really hard to have any time with my child as i was constantly commuting to and from work. There seemed to be a huge gap between what the servers had to do before leaving and what management had to do. Seemed often that they would take off whenever even in the middle of a rush.
fun and fast paced restuarant
Hostess (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 22, 2014
Pros: free meal everyday an excellent customers!
Cons: short hours and cut shifts due to the season.
Dennys, having the popular, fast paced environment made the days go by fast. Lots of smiling customers and smiling employees in return. Hardest part would be having lots of tasks to handle all at once, such a greeting the guests and serving out beverages while keeping the front end clean and tidy. Prioritizing tasks is a skill i've learned throughout my experiences. Most enjoyable part would definitely be dealing with costumers and always having a constant and new challenge.
customers and coworkers were wonderful. managing was horrific.
Dishwasher/Cook/Host (Former Employee), 2325 ottawa stJuly 4, 2015
Pros: free food
Cons: 40 hours a week
I learned a lot of communication skills and how to handle endeavours with customers. A typical day at work i welcomed, greeted and sat guests, as well as cleaned menus tables and helped roll cutlery. The job was fun but the manager was not suited to run the place which resulted in bankruptcy two months into the job. Hardest part of the job was at the beginning when i was in the kitchen for two weeks and the heat was unbearable. The most enjoyable part was interacting with so many different people.
Server
Server (Former Employee), 170 street and Yellowhead Flying JDecember 19, 2013
Pros: 50% discount on food when working, 25% when not on shift and is usuable at any dennys.
Cons: sometimes long hours, shift work
Greeted and followed sequence for where customers were to be seated,
processed orders taken and input them into the POS system
Made sure orders were correct then would serve the order to the customer.
Follow up on food and that drinks were filled and customers were happy
Offered dessert and cleaned tables
Took payment and cleared the order in POS
Job was enjoyable, Enjoyed serving the customers and working with my wonderful management team and co-workers.
very enjoyable and friendly place
Hostess & Dishwasher (Former Employee), Delta, BCSeptember 7, 2012
my first job,I have learn how to greet customer.my supervisior was so helpful to me every step of the way.I worked thier for four years and enjoyed it but then I found another job at A&W cause my accident i couldn't work in that resturant. A&W job was easy and light for me. I have work with this company for years and learned a lots of thing.I was promoted as a trainer then supervisior. I have learned everything which was required for the job and outcome for that was great cause learned fast and always got my work done with time limit.
Links