Denny's Employee Reviews

very non appreciative company
Food Service Supervisor - Manager (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC2 November 2016
the company has minimal to no scope for growth. no body cares about an employee's hard-work. just, but if you're a whiner than only you have a scope for raise. no matter how much of a non performer you might be
Pros
they don't get rid of slackers easily, so a lot of people feel secure
Cons
no appreciation, no appraisals, no HR discipline
Fast-paced environment & Rewarding
WAITRESS/SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Calgary26 October 2016
A typical day would normally start for me at 8am and is on-going until 3-4pm. Our location runs at a very fast-paced environment where there is little room for error. We are constantly on our feet and moving around to take orders, greet customers, deliver food, and manage payments. The people that I work with make the job, I enjoy every staff member that is alongside me helping us all work as a team to get the job done. At the end of the day I am relieved, and enjoy leaving the job. Without the help of my supportive co-workers, this restaurant would not be the busiest location in all of Canada. Not one day that goes by do we allow any of our staff to give up or crash. We have each others back no matter what the situation is.
Pros
Fast-paced, regular customers, family enviroment
Cons
Long hours, few to no breaks, fast-paced, complaints
do not work at denny's
supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 June 2016
at denny's their priority is save money, that means they will not want to pay too much.

no fixed schedule means you will have to be super flexible so they can arrange you to work weekends and holidays

they never close for holidays and you will be expected to work crazy busy on holidays like xmas and new years eve

they dont offer benefits and dont have regular raises and they dont treat everyone fair

save yourself some time and dont even waste your time applying there.
Fun place to work
Servers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 November 2016
Fast pace, long hours, high demand for service and quality production.
Nice people.
Management listen to the employees, and took discipline seriously.
Pros
Reduce food price, fun place to work
Cons
Long hours. Slippery floors from washer duties.
Nice
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC23 August 2016
All co workers were extremely friendly and outgoing. Had a great time working there overall other then the graveyard shifts. Management was very nice and friendly.
Pros
free meals
Cons
Overall it was a good experience
Certified Server/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 June 2016
start your day by checking if there are new additions to the menu or new standards that have been in placed.
Shift exchange check over the previous server/host side work make sure everything is completed before they leave.
Management gets switched around very often don't get too comfortable/close kinda pointless you will get some that are very nice and laid back and some that are very strict. Continuously changing things around in the restaurant to how they like it.
Lots of drama between the servers and making sure everyone completed their job before they left./
come in with a positive vibe and you shall leave with one.
Pros
50% off lunch and 20% off come in on free time
Cons
no consistent day off nor are your hours consistent
Ugh.. Sure I guess
Server (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 April 2016
It's busy. It's hot. And honestly I had probably the worst possible shift. The graveyard. 11pm to 7am. Yes, I am aware that I did this to myself, but I needed the extra income so there I was, "Welcome to Denny's, how many are in your party?" I learned to definitely not judge a book by its cover and to be kind even when you may want to cry.
The management varied by day. Some I liked, some I didn't.
I didn't have many co-workers, as late night shifts get to work mostly by themselves, with a cook and sometimes a dishwasher. Unless it was the weekend.
Hardest part? Having to deal with the humiliation of dropping something like food, or having to bring food back because it wasn't made right. And then having the customer not tip you, or blame you when it had nothing to do with you.
I did enjoy the quite times and customer interactions. You meet some interesting people at 3am at a Denny's.
Pros
free-ish food
Cons
so tired
Productive and fun working at this place
Restaurant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 September 2016
The best American chain restaurant you can work for in regards to work ethics, concept and benefits made available for the employees. Great training exposure before you can get on board. Simply outstanding Company.
Working at Denny's
Host/Server (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON10 August 2016
Working at Denny's was pretty entertaining, I got along with almost everyone and the managers were all pretty nice people. There was always something to do at work and most of the time it was fun because you got to work with friends. Being there helped me learn how to better deal with people in general.

You gain a certain amount of understanding and compassion in working a customer service job, and most people will not understand unless they themselves have had a job in the field. You start to understand why you have to be patient from time to time, and you will start to put yourself in the other persons shoes.

All in all I believe that working at Denny's made me a better person in the end.
Pros
Good Co-Workers and Food Discounts!
Cons
Some customers will try to tear you down, if you are too slow etc.
mediocre
Cook (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC27 November 2016
at times i worked a whole shift alone, or occasionally 13 hour shifts, i would constantly have to cover shifts for others as many employees would up and quit or call in sick on a regular basis,
Pros
free meals
Cons
unreliable staff, long hours
Communication
Server/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC10 September 2016
This job was a good job and was very useful being being a student. Only problem was communication between staff and management. Classic game of telephone and things said would be twisted.
Fast paced and fun
RESTAURANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 October 2016
Training provided and growth if you work to your full potential. Customer service is taken serious here and customer service needs to be an A plus as our customers are our number one at Denny's

I appreciated how clean this work place was and how standards were followed and enforced. All about team work here. Also loved my boss here she was funny but serious when it came to work. She has a great vibe for working with people
Pros
Fast paces, busy, tips, training
Cons
Fast paces, open 24 hours
Casual, faced paced chain diner
Server (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 March 2016
I worked here for over a year and over all I would say I really enjoyed it. The volume of guests was high enough that there was always something to do, and my coworkers were all fun and upbeat people.
This is where I learned to be a server - I was well trained in a matter of a few short days and felt confident that I could execute my job without error by then. Management was inadequate, 3/5 managers were equally as involved when they were not in the restaurant at all. The hardest part of the job was HR related, and in the end was the reason for my leaving this job, but the most enjoyable was the job itself! I loved dealing with the guests, preparing desserts and beverages, ensuring coffee was brewed constantly and everything was clean and inviting.
Excellent
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB6 September 2016
Poor management. Excellent opportunity as well as atmosphere and co-workers I felt comfortable with my pay and position.
A place to work
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 April 2016
It's a nice starting place if you have no where else to go. Working at Denny's you can are given the opportunity to learn new skills that might become useful to you in your future goals. With that being said, management usually hires their friends first and qualified individuals second. So don't expect to have any issues or complaints taken seriously that you might have against specific co-workers.
Pros
get money and work experiance
Cons
crummy people work there who don't know what they're doing
Overall what you'd expect from a franchise
Line Cook, Certified Trainer (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC18 May 2016
Im looking for more advancement than they are able to provide. This is causing me to look for work outside the Northland company.
Pros
Most of the staff are excellent
Cons
I do not feel comfortable with putting the company down
Ok place to work
Server (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 November 2016
A typical day at work varied from day to day and shift to shift. Alot of the time there were to many servers scheduled, which made it hard to work a full scheduled shift. For the most part I worked well with my managment team. The best part of working for Denny's is working with all of my co-workers, I have had a chance to work with some amazing people.
Fun work place, friendly atmosphere,wonderful peopl to work with
Cook (Current Employee) –  On deleware1 December 2016
I have been here for 3 years now and love the environment and the people that work here are friendly and family oriented. It's a fast pace restaurant but once you get the hang of things its smooth sailing. very hot in the summer very cold in the winter but overall nice place to bring your family.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Cooking when its hot outside
Denny's Work Experience
Hostess, Expediter and Server (Former Employee) –  South Keys, ON20 February 2016
Denny's is a family orientated restaurant that ran 24/7 364 days a year. Although a diner experience, the Dennys family is what made the job experience such a joy and a life long memory. The management staff was not only considerate but accommodating to schedule flexibility.

Every day, I learned something new from customers, regulars and those passing by before leaving to venture into another part of the world. I was tested to serve all ages from infants to the elderly, which requires understanding different age groups and needs.

The most challenging aspect of the job were days that required the most mental and physical demand such as Sunday Mornings or a single server for overnights.

After 22 years of Denny's Service, the restaurant is now closed. I know that those who have become part of the Denny's family aswell, can relate to the countless smiles, laughs, sweat ad hard workers.
It is a sad ending, but a start to something more beautiful. As it is said "One door closes so another may open."
a great place to work
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC6 April 2016
The management was great and knew how to treat their employees they thought you many things. my co workers were all outgoing and fun loving people we had a few laughs the hardest part of the job had to be being contently taking care of one table when you had so many others to get to, the most enjoyable part is getting to put a smile on everyone's faces every time they sat down in my tables

2.9