Denny's Employee Reviews

Casual, faced paced chain diner
Server (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 8, 2016
I worked here for over a year and over all I would say I really enjoyed it. The volume of guests was high enough that there was always something to do, and my coworkers were all fun and upbeat people.
This is where I learned to be a server - I was well trained in a matter of a few short days and felt confident that I could execute my job without error by then. Management was inadequate, 3/5 managers were equally as involved when they were not in the restaurant at all. The hardest part of the job was HR related, and in the end was the reason for my leaving this job, but the most enjoyable was the job itself! I loved dealing with the guests, preparing desserts and beverages, ensuring coffee was brewed constantly and everything was clean and inviting.
Working at Denny's
Host/Server (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 10, 2016
Working at Denny's was pretty entertaining, I got along with almost everyone and the managers were all pretty nice people. There was always something to do at work and most of the time it was fun because you got to work with friends. Being there helped me learn how to better deal with people in general.

You gain a certain amount of understanding and compassion in working a customer service job, and most people will not understand unless they themselves have had a job in the field. You start to understand why you have to be patient from time to time, and you will start to put yourself in the other persons shoes.

All in all I believe that working at Denny's made me a better person in the end.
Pros
Good Co-Workers and Food Discounts!
Cons
Some customers will try to tear you down, if you are too slow etc.
Denny's Work Experience
Hostess, Expediter and Server (Former Employee) –  South Keys, ONFebruary 20, 2016
Denny's is a family orientated restaurant that ran 24/7 364 days a year. Although a diner experience, the Dennys family is what made the job experience such a joy and a life long memory. The management staff was not only considerate but accommodating to schedule flexibility.

Every day, I learned something new from customers, regulars and those passing by before leaving to venture into another part of the world. I was tested to serve all ages from infants to the elderly, which requires understanding different age groups and needs.

The most challenging aspect of the job were days that required the most mental and physical demand such as Sunday Mornings or a single server for overnights.

After 22 years of Denny's Service, the restaurant is now closed. I know that those who have become part of the Denny's family aswell, can relate to the countless smiles, laughs, sweat ad hard workers.
It is a sad ending, but a start to something more beautiful. As it is said "One door closes so another may open."
a great place to work
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BCApril 6, 2016
The management was great and knew how to treat their employees they thought you many things. my co workers were all outgoing and fun loving people we had a few laughs the hardest part of the job had to be being contently taking care of one table when you had so many others to get to, the most enjoyable part is getting to put a smile on everyone's faces every time they sat down in my tables
good for a starter job
Dishwasher / Cook (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCFebruary 5, 2016
cleaning the restaurant, completing side-work, making sure tables and booths were bussed for servers and customers, washing dishes for cooks and customers. I learned how to multi-task, and customer service (when applicable). Management was good for the most part, they were helpful to a point but sometimes they'd get a little frustrated and take it out on the employees. My co-workers were also good for the most part, some had the tendency to complain too much and it made for a bad day at work, aside from that we for the most part had a good camaraderie and could work together to get things done. The hardest part of the job was honestly maintaining the cleanliness of the restaurant due to high traffic/volume of customers coming in and out. The most enjoyable was getting to meet new people from all kinds of different backgrounds and learning new things as far as different jobs to do in the restaurant itself.
Pros
meeting new people, great starter job
Cons
pay's not really all that great
Overall it was a good experience
Certified Server/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 1, 2016
start your day by checking if there are new additions to the menu or new standards that have been in placed.
Shift exchange check over the previous server/host side work make sure everything is completed before they leave.
Management gets switched around very often don't get too comfortable/close kinda pointless you will get some that are very nice and laid back and some that are very strict. Continuously changing things around in the restaurant to how they like it.
Lots of drama between the servers and making sure everyone completed their job before they left./
come in with a positive vibe and you shall leave with one.
Pros
50% off lunch and 20% off come in on free time
Cons
no consistent day off nor are your hours consistent
Ugh.. Sure I guess
Server (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 15, 2016
It's busy. It's hot. And honestly I had probably the worst possible shift. The graveyard. 11pm to 7am. Yes, I am aware that I did this to myself, but I needed the extra income so there I was, "Welcome to Denny's, how many are in your party?" I learned to definitely not judge a book by its cover and to be kind even when you may want to cry.
The management varied by day. Some I liked, some I didn't.
I didn't have many co-workers, as late night shifts get to work mostly by themselves, with a cook and sometimes a dishwasher. Unless it was the weekend.
Hardest part? Having to deal with the humiliation of dropping something like food, or having to bring food back because it wasn't made right. And then having the customer not tip you, or blame you when it had nothing to do with you.
I did enjoy the quite times and customer interactions. You meet some interesting people at 3am at a Denny's.
Pros
free-ish food
Cons
so tired
Not a very good place financially
Line Cook/Prep (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 3, 2015
Most of the staff get along but there are plenty of times during the busy hours where the pleasantness definitely fades away. You get one free meal if you work in the kitchen on the line but because of management being too lazy for so long people take advantage of it.
Pros
Free meals for cooks
Cons
No Raises
do not work at denny's
supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJune 23, 2016
at denny's their priority is save money, that means they will not want to pay too much.

no fixed schedule means you will have to be super flexible so they can arrange you to work weekends and holidays

they never close for holidays and you will be expected to work crazy busy on holidays like xmas and new years eve

they dont offer benefits and dont have regular raises and they dont treat everyone fair

save yourself some time and dont even waste your time applying there.
Quiet
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCFebruary 1, 2016
I had only spent one day there. The typical day I had learned, from the small conversations I had before and after I went into volunteer work, is busy. I had learned further communication skills. I did not meet management. My co-workers were respectful and helpful. The hardest part of the job is the repetition. It was just an enjoyable experience to begin with.
High Volume working experience
Server/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 10, 2016
Working at Denny's was a very exciting experience because I would meet a lot of different people and serve them their breakfast, lunch or dinner whenever they liked. It is a 24/hour diner and I enjoyed that the most. I got to use my customer service skills while also handling food serving and drinks as well as taking cash, visa or debit transactions. It was a very fast paced Job that I learned a lot from.
it was a great experience to work in the fast food chain i learned a lot and hope i can use some of those skills
Busboy (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, ABJune 14, 2016
although i learned a lot working in the fast food chain taught me something no matter how hard you work you do it to prove to yourself not to anyone above or below you, a lot of your hard work will go un-noticed.
Pros
free lunches and drinks
Cons
not everyone pulls their own weight and sometimes you have to pick up what they left.
Good time with co-wrkers
Restaurant Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 22, 2016
Enjoyed my stay with the company and co-managers.
great work place but with long hours and pen 24/7. so very little time for family.
Pros
free food
Cons
10 hour shift
A place to work
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 13, 2016
It's a nice starting place if you have no where else to go. Working at Denny's you can are given the opportunity to learn new skills that might become useful to you in your future goals. With that being said, management usually hires their friends first and qualified individuals second. So don't expect to have any issues or complaints taken seriously that you might have against specific co-workers.
Pros
get money and work experiance
Cons
crummy people work there who don't know what they're doing
productive but frustrating work situation
Server (Former Employee) –  Terrace, BCSeptember 13, 2016
it is a great job but one of the owners is frustrating and confusing with low communication skills low pay high expectations and a boss that spends more time talking then working and blames workers for everything that goes wrong
Productive and fun working at this place
Restaurant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 3, 2016
The best American chain restaurant you can work for in regards to work ethics, concept and benefits made available for the employees. Great training exposure before you can get on board. Simply outstanding Company.
Really fun work place with great co-workers
Cook (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJuly 8, 2016
Well a typical day at work was making sure all my stations are clean and restocked before my shift. I also learned lots in a couple months of training and the hardest part of my job was keeping up with the orders when there was only me and one other cook in the kitchen.
demanding working environment
Host/Server (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBNovember 28, 2015
Not open with my availabilities
co-workers are nice
management are not easy to talk to
fast paced working environment
Not a place to build a career
Good for beginners that are managing
Manager (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAFebruary 15, 2016
Long Hours
Good to learn the basics
Great team to work with
Limited options to learn as a manager
Late night shifts are long and hard on the weekends
Pros
Free Meal
Cons
Long Hours
excellent place to work
Host/waitress (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 29, 2016
enjoyed the family atmosphere and friendly people and serving the families young or old . the staff was amazing and enjoyed the friendly managers and most of all understanding and flexable

2.9