Denny's Employee Reviews in Canada

Casual, faced paced chain diner
Server (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 8, 2016
I worked here for over a year and over all I would say I really enjoyed it. The volume of guests was high enough that there was always something to do, and my coworkers were all fun and upbeat people.
This is where I learned to be a server - I was well trained in a matter of a few short days and felt confident that I could execute my job without error by then. Management was inadequate, 3/5 managers were equally as involved when they were not in the restaurant at all. The hardest part of the job was HR related, and in the end was the reason for my leaving this job, but the most enjoyable was the job itself! I loved dealing with the guests, preparing desserts and beverages, ensuring coffee was brewed constantly and everything was clean and inviting.
Denny's Work Experience
Hostess, Expediter and Server (Former Employee) –  South Keys, ONFebruary 20, 2016
Denny's is a family orientated restaurant that ran 24/7 364 days a year. Although a diner experience, the Dennys family is what made the job experience such a joy and a life long memory. The management staff was not only considerate but accommodating to schedule flexibility.

Every day, I learned something new from customers, regulars and those passing by before leaving to venture into another part of the world. I was tested to serve all ages from infants to the elderly, which requires understanding different age groups and needs.

The most challenging aspect of the job were days that required the most mental and physical demand such as Sunday Mornings or a single server for overnights.

After 22 years of Denny's Service, the restaurant is now closed. I know that those who have become part of the Denny's family aswell, can relate to the countless smiles, laughs, sweat ad hard workers.
It is a sad ending, but a start to something more beautiful. As it is said "One door closes so another may open."
good for a starter job
Dishwasher / Cook (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCFebruary 5, 2016
cleaning the restaurant, completing side-work, making sure tables and booths were bussed for servers and customers, washing dishes for cooks and customers. I learned how to multi-task, and customer service (when applicable). Management was good for the most part, they were helpful to a point but sometimes they'd get a little frustrated and take it out on the employees. My co-workers were also good for the most part, some had the tendency to complain too much and it made for a bad day at work, aside from that we for the most part had a good camaraderie and could work together to get things done. The hardest part of the job was honestly maintaining the cleanliness of the restaurant due to high traffic/volume of customers coming in and out. The most enjoyable was getting to meet new people from all kinds of different backgrounds and learning new things as far as different jobs to do in the restaurant itself.
Pros
meeting new people, great starter job
Cons
pay's not really all that great
Not a very good place financially
Line Cook/Prep (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 3, 2015
Most of the staff get along but there are plenty of times during the busy hours where the pleasantness definitely fades away. You get one free meal if you work in the kitchen on the line but because of management being too lazy for so long people take advantage of it.
Pros
Free meals for cooks
Cons
No Raises
a great place to work
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BCApril 6, 2016
The management was great and knew how to treat their employees they thought you many things. my co workers were all outgoing and fun loving people we had a few laughs the hardest part of the job had to be being contently taking care of one table when you had so many others to get to, the most enjoyable part is getting to put a smile on everyone's faces every time they sat down in my tables
Quiet
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCFebruary 1, 2016
I had only spent one day there. The typical day I had learned, from the small conversations I had before and after I went into volunteer work, is busy. I had learned further communication skills. I did not meet management. My co-workers were respectful and helpful. The hardest part of the job is the repetition. It was just an enjoyable experience to begin with.
demanding working environment
Host/Server (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBNovember 28, 2015
Not open with my availabilities
co-workers are nice
management are not easy to talk to
fast paced working environment
Not a place to build a career
Ugh.. Sure I guess
Server (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 15, 2016
It's busy. It's hot. And honestly I had probably the worst possible shift. The graveyard. 11pm to 7am. Yes, I am aware that I did this to myself, but I needed the extra income so there I was, "Welcome to Denny's, how many are in your party?" I learned to definitely not judge a book by its cover and to be kind even when you may want to cry.
The management varied by day. Some I liked, some I didn't.
I didn't have many co-workers, as late night shifts get to work mostly by themselves, with a cook and sometimes a dishwasher. Unless it was the weekend.
Hardest part? Having to deal with the humiliation of dropping something like food, or having to bring food back because it wasn't made right. And then having the customer not tip you, or blame you when it had nothing to do with you.
I did enjoy the quite times and customer interactions. You meet some interesting people at 3am at a Denny's.
Pros
free-ish food
Cons
so tired
Not a very prodcutive work place
Restaurant Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB.August 12, 2015
-poor quality managment
-poor salary
-no room for advancement
-poor hours and work life balance
-poor quality of staff
-no apprecaiton of staff
-toxic work enviornment
Good for beginners that are managing
Manager (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAFebruary 15, 2016
Long Hours
Good to learn the basics
Great team to work with
Limited options to learn as a manager
Late night shifts are long and hard on the weekends
Pros
Free Meal
Cons
Long Hours
Good time with co-wrkers
Restaurant Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 22, 2016
Enjoyed my stay with the company and co-managers.
great work place but with long hours and pen 24/7. so very little time for family.
Pros
free food
Cons
10 hour shift
Wish I could go back and not work there
Server (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONJanuary 31, 2016
When I applied, I stated I had open availability than heard it was 24 hours. I agreed to work some over night shifts but not all. What happened was they decided to put me on full time night shift only and ignored my requests to have some evening or morning shifts. That went on for a few months.

A typical day at work would be getting to work and punching in, taking temperatures and starting prep and side work. I started at 11pm and finished at 7am. The restaurant was very quiet during the night. I would be lucky if people came in. Actually I would be lucky if people came in sober. I had to deal with a lot of young drunk adults which was not very pleasant. The cooks were amazing and we got along well during the night. Actually the first night manager, the cooks and I would always have our break at the same time and sit together and talk. We were like a small family until that manager left and it went down to just myself and the cook at night.

It started off fantastic at first, I was so proud to work for Denny's but the longer I was there, the unhappier I got. Since working nights, I had no life besides work and sleep. I'm young so for me having time to myself and time to hang with friends was very important to me. The stress kept building up and most of the managers simply didn't care.

There were a few really good managers there which unfortunately got overlooked by the ones who didn't do much. One of the best ones landed up leaving and being replaced with one who wasn't so great. Though I heard they're back so I'm glad for that as everyone agreed the place went downhill
  more... after the good manager left. Perhaps they'll be able to save the business.

I got along with 98% of my co-workers. There was one that no one liked as she would act like she was the boss of the place and would get mad if you dont do things her way. She was the one getting the hours and she wasn't that great at her job. There was definitely favouritism there but away from that everyone else was fantastic and I actually really miss working with them. We all helped each other out.

The hardest part of the job was working overnights, especially around Ramadan when it would be just the cook and I when a big family came in. At one point the restaurant was full and it got too overwhelming. Thank god one of the managers were staying in the hotel at the time. They did a good job making sure that didn't happen again by having a second server on until 3am as backup.

Overall, the place isn't the greatest to work but after some recent experiences, I wouldn't say they were the worst. Just be prepared for the amount of politics going on there.
Pros
Serving experience, co-workers
Cons
Horrible hours, most management don't care about employees, Hard work for low wage
Place for hardwork
Restaurant Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 6, 2015
A good place to work, there is a oppoutunity to advancement in career, but salary and benefits are very low , when compare to the current market.
Wicked work environment
Host/Server (Former Employee) –  Headingley, MBAugust 27, 2015
A typical day at work is like any other serving position you can think of with an added bonus of great laughs and even better stories.

I learned a great deal about how fun it can be to interact with the public along with attempting new ways to chat with customers.

Management at Denny's is great and very understanding.

Co-workers were hilarious and super easy to work with and around.

Hardest part of the job was getting swamped with tables and dealing with patrons that were upset. Even that was easier once my experience with customers improved.

The most enjoyable part was the team-work and the perks of eating food at work was not too bad!
Pros
Free lunches and dinners
Cons
Angry customers
Good job for student
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 23, 2016
Flexible hours for a student and a good first time job. It's a good customer service experience and stepping stone into the customer service industry.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Not easy for advancement
A place to work
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 13, 2016
It's a nice starting place if you have no where else to go. Working at Denny's you can are given the opportunity to learn new skills that might become useful to you in your future goals. With that being said, management usually hires their friends first and qualified individuals second. So don't expect to have any issues or complaints taken seriously that you might have against specific co-workers.
Pros
get money and work experiance
Cons
crummy people work there who don't know what they're doing
Good experience for a first time job
Hostess - Duties (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 1, 2016
A typical day at Denny's, usually clock in, greet customers, answer the phone for take out orders or directions for customers. Always kept the restaurant clean by busing tables and cleaning the restrooms or dinning floor. The hardest part of the job was dealing with impatient customers but knowing that you have a keep a leveled head and be respectful to and patient with a customer. Most enjoyable part of my job was meeting new people, and learning new things from my fellow co-workers.
A very busy restaurant. A lot of hard workers that make the business what it is.
Server (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONFebruary 21, 2016
Servers and cooks stick together. Need experienced dish washers and more cooks on line. Running the kitchen with minimal staff. Feel sorry for the cooks watching them scramble. All it takes is a lousy general manager to make the workplace a horrible place to work for even for the most experienced server and cook.
Pros
Experienced staff hold things together.
Cons
messed up hours and no free lunch.
nice work atmosphere ,I really had a good time working for Denny's restaurant
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 13, 2016
I worked with the evening and night crew , I was dishwasher/service assistant. My job was to maintain the store and dishes clean, and to help the waiters and waitresses clear tables. My experience there was fun and educating, the staff was amazing and the food really good. I learned some new skills that I can use later on in my life.
Pros
good hours
Cons
layoffs
Fun place to work
supervisor manager (Former Employee) –  OntarioNovember 26, 2015
Typical restaurant sever experience. Good ownership and loyal co-workers made it a great place to work. Long hours often interfered with my home life but the pay was very good.
Pros
Great money and fast paced
Cons
work/life balane was not good