Denny's Employee Reviews in Canada

do not work at denny's
supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJune 23, 2016
at denny's their priority is save money, that means they will not want to pay too much.

no fixed schedule means you will have to be super flexible so they can arrange you to work weekends and holidays

they never close for holidays and you will be expected to work crazy busy on holidays like xmas and new years eve

they dont offer benefits and dont have regular raises and they dont treat everyone fair

save yourself some time and dont even waste your time applying there.
Working at Denny's
Host/Server (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 10, 2016
Working at Denny's was pretty entertaining, I got along with almost everyone and the managers were all pretty nice people. There was always something to do at work and most of the time it was fun because you got to work with friends. Being there helped me learn how to better deal with people in general.

You gain a certain amount of understanding and compassion in working a customer service job, and most people will not understand unless they themselves have had a job in the field. You start to understand why you have to be patient from time to time, and you will start to put yourself in the other persons shoes.

All in all I believe that working at Denny's made me a better person in the end.
Pros
Good Co-Workers and Food Discounts!
Cons
Some customers will try to tear you down, if you are too slow etc.
High Volume working experience
Server/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 10, 2016
Working at Denny's was a very exciting experience because I would meet a lot of different people and serve them their breakfast, lunch or dinner whenever they liked. It is a 24/hour diner and I enjoyed that the most. I got to use my customer service skills while also handling food serving and drinks as well as taking cash, visa or debit transactions. It was a very fast paced Job that I learned a lot from.
Overall it was a good experience
Certified Server/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 1, 2016
start your day by checking if there are new additions to the menu or new standards that have been in placed.
Shift exchange check over the previous server/host side work make sure everything is completed before they leave.
Management gets switched around very often don't get too comfortable/close kinda pointless you will get some that are very nice and laid back and some that are very strict. Continuously changing things around in the restaurant to how they like it.
Lots of drama between the servers and making sure everyone completed their job before they left./
come in with a positive vibe and you shall leave with one.
Pros
50% off lunch and 20% off come in on free time
Cons
no consistent day off nor are your hours consistent
it was a great experience to work in the fast food chain i learned a lot and hope i can use some of those skills
Busboy (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, ABJune 14, 2016
although i learned a lot working in the fast food chain taught me something no matter how hard you work you do it to prove to yourself not to anyone above or below you, a lot of your hard work will go un-noticed.
Pros
free lunches and drinks
Cons
not everyone pulls their own weight and sometimes you have to pick up what they left.
A place to work
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 13, 2016
It's a nice starting place if you have no where else to go. Working at Denny's you can are given the opportunity to learn new skills that might become useful to you in your future goals. With that being said, management usually hires their friends first and qualified individuals second. So don't expect to have any issues or complaints taken seriously that you might have against specific co-workers.
Pros
get money and work experiance
Cons
crummy people work there who don't know what they're doing
a great place to work
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BCApril 6, 2016
The management was great and knew how to treat their employees they thought you many things. my co workers were all outgoing and fun loving people we had a few laughs the hardest part of the job had to be being contently taking care of one table when you had so many others to get to, the most enjoyable part is getting to put a smile on everyone's faces every time they sat down in my tables
Really fun work place with great co-workers
Cook (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJuly 8, 2016
Well a typical day at work was making sure all my stations are clean and restocked before my shift. I also learned lots in a couple months of training and the hardest part of my job was keeping up with the orders when there was only me and one other cook in the kitchen.
Ugh.. Sure I guess
Server (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 15, 2016
It's busy. It's hot. And honestly I had probably the worst possible shift. The graveyard. 11pm to 7am. Yes, I am aware that I did this to myself, but I needed the extra income so there I was, "Welcome to Denny's, how many are in your party?" I learned to definitely not judge a book by its cover and to be kind even when you may want to cry.
The management varied by day. Some I liked, some I didn't.
I didn't have many co-workers, as late night shifts get to work mostly by themselves, with a cook and sometimes a dishwasher. Unless it was the weekend.
Hardest part? Having to deal with the humiliation of dropping something like food, or having to bring food back because it wasn't made right. And then having the customer not tip you, or blame you when it had nothing to do with you.
I did enjoy the quite times and customer interactions. You meet some interesting people at 3am at a Denny's.
Pros
free-ish food
Cons
so tired
nice work atmosphere ,I really had a good time working for Denny's restaurant
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 13, 2016
I worked with the evening and night crew , I was dishwasher/service assistant. My job was to maintain the store and dishes clean, and to help the waiters and waitresses clear tables. My experience there was fun and educating, the staff was amazing and the food really good. I learned some new skills that I can use later on in my life.
Pros
good hours
Cons
layoffs
Casual, faced paced chain diner
Server (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 8, 2016
I worked here for over a year and over all I would say I really enjoyed it. The volume of guests was high enough that there was always something to do, and my coworkers were all fun and upbeat people.
This is where I learned to be a server - I was well trained in a matter of a few short days and felt confident that I could execute my job without error by then. Management was inadequate, 3/5 managers were equally as involved when they were not in the restaurant at all. The hardest part of the job was HR related, and in the end was the reason for my leaving this job, but the most enjoyable was the job itself! I loved dealing with the guests, preparing desserts and beverages, ensuring coffee was brewed constantly and everything was clean and inviting.
A very busy restaurant. A lot of hard workers that make the business what it is.
Server (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONFebruary 21, 2016
Servers and cooks stick together. Need experienced dish washers and more cooks on line. Running the kitchen with minimal staff. Feel sorry for the cooks watching them scramble. All it takes is a lousy general manager to make the workplace a horrible place to work for even for the most experienced server and cook.
Pros
Experienced staff hold things together.
Cons
messed up hours and no free lunch.
Overall what you'd expect from a franchise
Line Cook, Certified Trainer (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BCMay 18, 2016
Im looking for more advancement than they are able to provide. This is causing me to look for work outside the Northland company.
Pros
Most of the staff are excellent
Cons
I do not feel comfortable with putting the company down
Relaxed environment, but some lazy supervisors/managers
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCJune 20, 2016
I followed more rules some times than the supervisors and managers did, the job was pretty relaxed, decent pay, okay hours, but they need to have more serious staff some times and be more proactive.
Good experience for a first time job
Hostess - Duties (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 1, 2016
A typical day at Denny's, usually clock in, greet customers, answer the phone for take out orders or directions for customers. Always kept the restaurant clean by busing tables and cleaning the restrooms or dinning floor. The hardest part of the job was dealing with impatient customers but knowing that you have a keep a leveled head and be respectful to and patient with a customer. Most enjoyable part of my job was meeting new people, and learning new things from my fellow co-workers.
Work is worship
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 18, 2016
Busy day is always my typical day

not only learned but always learning also

Great job

Coworkers are sincere and hard workers

Not hardest nothing to impossible.

Every part of my job is enjoyable.
Pros
lunch
Cons
long hrs
good student work
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONApril 18, 2016
Good place to work at as a student. The supervisors were awesome but the management wasn't very good in the second half due to a management change. A typical day of work was cooking, cleaning and prepping for the next day workers.
Quiet
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCFebruary 1, 2016
I had only spent one day there. The typical day I had learned, from the small conversations I had before and after I went into volunteer work, is busy. I had learned further communication skills. I did not meet management. My co-workers were respectful and helpful. The hardest part of the job is the repetition. It was just an enjoyable experience to begin with.
Staff were fun to work with
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ONMay 26, 2016
It was an alright job. I dishwashed every day making minimum wage. Stuff were fun and enjoyable people to work with. Hours weren't bad either and they accomodated to what I could work.
Nice
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Langley, BCAugust 23, 2016
All co workers were extremely friendly and outgoing. Had a great time working there overall other then the graveyard shifts. Management was very nice and friendly.
Pros
free meals

2.9