Denny's Employee Reviews

Very professional and well paced enviroment, great co-workers and mangers
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC24 January 2017
Every work day was always a new learning experience, and also a joy to work because of the family environment. I learned cash handling, debit machine usage, cash register usage, hostess position and duties, as well as some serving qualifications. The management was very professional and I could really connect with them, as well as being able to learn so much from the management, as the training was very well taught and enforced. I loved going to work because of the other staff, they were like a second family, and the environment, although fast paced(which I loved) was always happy, and very well organized. The most difficult part of my roll at Denny's was dealing with complaints, because that's one field I which I didn't have much experience with the problems that could be brought up in normal work day. The most enjoyable part about working at Denny's was working with people 24/7, and having great co-workers to work with.
Pros
In an eight hour day, one 30 minute lunch and to 10 minute breaks
Great Place to Work
Cook (Current Employee) –  London, ON4 March 2017
I really enjoy working at Denny's as a cook. Everyone works as a team, management is excellent, scheduling is perfect for my lifestyle and the training is really good. In the beginning the training can be intense and overwhelming because it is a lot to learn. It does get easier with each shift and my co-workers are really understanding and helpful. Denny's is a very organised place to work and that makes me feel secure in my job duties as I know exactly what I need to do for my shift. I find as long as I carry my weight, try my best and have a good attitude everything runs smoothly. The hardest part of the job is keeping up with the orders and keeping the customers happy with wait times especially on the weekends as Denny's is a very popular place to eat. Overall I really like working here and work well with my co-workers and managers.
Pros
one free meal per shift for cooks, good managment, great co-workers
Cons
Weekends are very busy
very non appreciative company
Food Service Supervisor - Manager (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC2 November 2016
the company has minimal to no scope for growth. no body cares about an employee's hard-work. just, but if you're a whiner than only you have a scope for raise. no matter how much of a non performer you might be
Pros
they don't get rid of slackers easily, so a lot of people feel secure
Cons
no appreciation, no appraisals, no HR discipline
Fun place to work
Servers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 November 2016
Fast pace, long hours, high demand for service and quality production.
Nice people.
Management listen to the employees, and took discipline seriously.
Pros
Reduce food price, fun place to work
Cons
Long hours. Slippery floors from washer duties.
Fast-paced environment & Rewarding
WAITRESS/SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Calgary26 October 2016
A typical day would normally start for me at 8am and is on-going until 3-4pm. Our location runs at a very fast-paced environment where there is little room for error. We are constantly on our feet and moving around to take orders, greet customers, deliver food, and manage payments. The people that I work with make the job, I enjoy every staff member that is alongside me helping us all work as a team to get the job done. At the end of the day I am relieved, and enjoy leaving the job. Without the help of my supportive co-workers, this restaurant would not be the busiest location in all of Canada. Not one day that goes by do we allow any of our staff to give up or crash. We have each others back no matter what the situation is.
Pros
Fast-paced, regular customers, family enviroment
Cons
Long hours, few to no breaks, fast-paced, complaints
do not work at denny's
supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 June 2016
at denny's their priority is save money, that means they will not want to pay too much.

no fixed schedule means you will have to be super flexible so they can arrange you to work weekends and holidays

they never close for holidays and you will be expected to work crazy busy on holidays like xmas and new years eve

they dont offer benefits and dont have regular raises and they dont treat everyone fair

save yourself some time and dont even waste your time applying there.
Nice
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC23 August 2016
All co workers were extremely friendly and outgoing. Had a great time working there overall other then the graveyard shifts. Management was very nice and friendly.
Pros
free meals
Highly productive and fun
Cook (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC16 December 2016
Exciting place to be at, highly challenging but the organizational culture is good. I learned how to multitask a lot. Hardest part of the job is completing several tasks in a short period of time
Pros
Discounted meals
Cons
Lack of working houes
Fun place to work
Dishwasher and Hostess (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB10 March 2017
They were very willing to employ me and give extra shifts when needed, as well as being completely flexible with my second job as a housekeeper in the mornings. I learned how to be a hostess, one of the few jobs in the service industry I hadn't ever held. Typical day at work was very upbeat and fast-paced, especially during the dinner rush. Started at 4pm and normally finished my shift around 1am. Most enjoyable part of the job was my clients and coworkers, everyone was very friendly and got along very well and we very rarely had any issues or complaints.
Productive and fun place
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON11 January 2017
Great employees, good hours, enjoyable management, understanding, fast paced environment (makes the day go by) my first job and I definitely enjoyed it. Great place to work!
Pros
discount
Cons
night shifts 3-11
A place to start out in
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 March 2017
It is a good place to startat but if making g a career then one has to be able to handle every and all kinds of characters at any time day or night...
mediocre
Cook (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC27 November 2016
at times i worked a whole shift alone, or occasionally 13 hour shifts, i would constantly have to cover shifts for others as many employees would up and quit or call in sick on a regular basis,
Pros
free meals
Cons
unreliable staff, long hours
Overall it was a good experience
Certified Server/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 June 2016
start your day by checking if there are new additions to the menu or new standards that have been in placed.
Shift exchange check over the previous server/host side work make sure everything is completed before they leave.
Management gets switched around very often don't get too comfortable/close kinda pointless you will get some that are very nice and laid back and some that are very strict. Continuously changing things around in the restaurant to how they like it.
Lots of drama between the servers and making sure everyone completed their job before they left./
come in with a positive vibe and you shall leave with one.
Pros
50% off lunch and 20% off come in on free time
Cons
no consistent day off nor are your hours consistent
Productive and fun working at this place
Restaurant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 September 2016
The best American chain restaurant you can work for in regards to work ethics, concept and benefits made available for the employees. Great training exposure before you can get on board. Simply outstanding Company.
Definetely a fun workplace.
Server (Current Employee) –  Headingley, MB19 February 2017
A typical day at work is usually steady with constant customers coming in for food.

I definitely learned to gain lots of patience working here.
Pros
If you did over $1, 000 in sales, you get a free meal.
Cons
If it is too busy, sometimes you don't get a break. Also, getting hours cut when you need money.
Working at Denny's
Host/Server (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON10 August 2016
Working at Denny's was pretty entertaining, I got along with almost everyone and the managers were all pretty nice people. There was always something to do at work and most of the time it was fun because you got to work with friends. Being there helped me learn how to better deal with people in general.

You gain a certain amount of understanding and compassion in working a customer service job, and most people will not understand unless they themselves have had a job in the field. You start to understand why you have to be patient from time to time, and you will start to put yourself in the other persons shoes.

All in all I believe that working at Denny's made me a better person in the end.
Pros
Good Co-Workers and Food Discounts!
Cons
Some customers will try to tear you down, if you are too slow etc.
Fast paced and fun
RESTAURANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 October 2016
Training provided and growth if you work to your full potential. Customer service is taken serious here and customer service needs to be an A plus as our customers are our number one at Denny's

I appreciated how clean this work place was and how standards were followed and enforced. All about team work here. Also loved my boss here she was funny but serious when it came to work. She has a great vibe for working with people
Pros
Fast paces, busy, tips, training
Cons
Fast paces, open 24 hours
Fun work place, friendly atmosphere,wonderful peopl to work with
Cook (Current Employee) –  On deleware1 December 2016
I have been here for 3 years now and love the environment and the people that work here are friendly and family oriented. It's a fast pace restaurant but once you get the hang of things its smooth sailing. very hot in the summer very cold in the winter but overall nice place to bring your family.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Cooking when its hot outside
Communication
Server/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC10 September 2016
This job was a good job and was very useful being being a student. Only problem was communication between staff and management. Classic game of telephone and things said would be twisted.
Ugh.. Sure I guess
Server (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 April 2016
It's busy. It's hot. And honestly I had probably the worst possible shift. The graveyard. 11pm to 7am. Yes, I am aware that I did this to myself, but I needed the extra income so there I was, "Welcome to Denny's, how many are in your party?" I learned to definitely not judge a book by its cover and to be kind even when you may want to cry.
The management varied by day. Some I liked, some I didn't.
I didn't have many co-workers, as late night shifts get to work mostly by themselves, with a cook and sometimes a dishwasher. Unless it was the weekend.
Hardest part? Having to deal with the humiliation of dropping something like food, or having to bring food back because it wasn't made right. And then having the customer not tip you, or blame you when it had nothing to do with you.
I did enjoy the quite times and customer interactions. You meet some interesting people at 3am at a Denny's.
Pros
free-ish food
Cons
so tired

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Denny's. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9