Denny's

Denny's Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Nice place to work.
Server (Former Employee), Rapid City, MBDecember 16, 2014
I really liked working as a server at this restaurant.
The most enjoyable part was trainings :)
I Cook in Denny's for the customer.
Cook (Former Employee), Winnipeg ManitobaDecember 9, 2014
* Cook the food for the customers and organizing the dishes
* Clean Dishes
fun working environment.
Hostess (Former Employee), Brampton, ONNovember 18, 2014
Pros: 50 % off on food.
Cons: dealing with customers was sometimes difficult for me.
it was very easy, and an out going environment to work in. i learned that hard work and dedication pays off at the end. my co workers were very nice and helpful towards me. management worked very professionally and did their job properly which i liked very much. the hardest part of the job was trying to seat the customers as a hostess and having no – more... seats to place them in which was very difficult and making the customers wait which is unkind gesture. the most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the customers, meeting new people and making new friends; and also short shifts were very nice and proper for me to have. having a positive environment around me help me to do my job in a better and a productive way which i enjoyed doing very much. lastly, i enjoyed working with everyone around me, and they all treated me very well , which i liked doing a lot. – less
excellent place to work
KITCHEN MANAGER/ NIGHT SERVER (Current Employee), Port Coquitlam, BCOctober 27, 2014
Pros: free meals, staff discounts, awesome owner
Cons: na
worked here for 6 years, gained so much kknowlegde and skills especially in my first year in canada. Almost a home to me. The owner was such a great employer, helped a lot of people.
great place to work as long as its not the night shift
Host (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABOctober 8, 2014
only one person on managment side of things actually really cared, the rest definitly needed a lot more trainging with interpersonal training. poorly managed to the point that after i left, within 6-8 months the entire managment team was gone and all new people are now working there.
enjoy the busy hours and the work culture
(CANADA) as cook (Current Employee), calgary albertaSeptember 30, 2014
there are lots of memorable day where i worked alone and did almost 100 to 140 covers alnoe in 3 .. 4 hours,
Accommodating to University Career
Server (Current Employee), Kingston, ONSeptember 23, 2014
Management and staff made work enjoyable, friendly and accommodated to a hectic University schedule.
Productive and fun Place to work.
Restaurant Manager (Current Employee), Regina, SKSeptember 16, 2014
Pros: free meals when working
Cons: long hours and rotation on shifts
A typical day at work starts really early at 6.30 am, I need to be on time to check that last night staff is leaving the restaurant in decent conditions for the next shift. I am responsible of closing the day sales, ensuring all numbers and cash/debit moneys balance.

Before 7am., a walk through the restaurant has been completed immediate risk or urgent – more... matters have been corrected, time card have been adjusted and I am ready to close the day sales and change the till money for next day operations.

I set the floor plan for the day servers with section rotation to give everyone same opportunity to rotate sections in the restaurant.

Once the cash out is done, I finish the walk through book taking and reviewing temperatures in both front of the house and kitchen, at the same time a list of additional activities by job code is delivered to them to work through the shift and have tasks done before leaving.

Now I am ready to do office work and preform the End od Day Reports, Review Room charges and balance reports, once they are done, I send the main ones to head officce and to our District Sales Manager, prepare the deposit and commit sales.

I review my Outlook and check the emails and work on them, I open our Scheduling tool and open communication with staff, review schedules for the week and perform changes and adjustments if needed and answer their questions and requests.

If a maintenance service is required I call the company involved to make the report and schedule a visit.

Now it is time to go and check the restaurant, do another walk through and check kitchen and stations to ensure everything is perfect. I really enjoy talking to our guests and asking questions to be sure they are fully satisfied with our food and service.

After this I evaluate staff according to performance and coach them in opportunnity areas to improve and congratulate them in public when done.

There is always something to do, either interviews for new staff or review the staff training records or do special deep cleaning or perform a detail inventory for the end of month or answer P & L questions to Head Officce, prepare for a meeting or a Conference call.

We are always on the go and very active.

I think I have reached great experience working for the company for more than 5 years and I am ready for new challenges. – less
Productive and fun workplace and great place
chef (Former Employee), Southkeys Ottawa OnAugust 30, 2014
Pros: free foods
Cons: 24 hours
It's a great place to work because the employees respect each other and the manager respect his employees.
Very low hours, usually rude managment. NO raises
Cook (Former Employee), Fort Erie, ONAugust 20, 2014
Don't follow head office rules and regulations. No PPE, food stored too long, improper food handling practices. Never a pay raise, treated like mules. Oh most enjoyable part of the job was GOING HOME AT THE END OF SHIFT!
fun productive workplace to be in
Line Cook (Former Employee), terrace bcJuly 10, 2014
Pros: half price food while working, and sometimes free
Cons: split shifts or sent home early because of not enough customers
day starts with morning or mid day prep, weighing proper portions for the day depending on time of shift. management is always friendly and full of energy.They are always busy with helping staff where needed and asking guests how there visit was.
Co-workers are always on top of their game in the fast paced environment cooking the bills to order with – more... a smile.
the hardest part of the job i have to say was the night shift.If there wasn't steady cooking,you'd have to keep busy cleaning to not get sleepy
the most enjoyable part was the co-workers,everybody gets along like we were friends since grade school. – less
An extremely fast-paced environment
Line Cook (Former Employee), Niagara Falls, ONJuly 7, 2014
Pros: fast paced, time flew, everyone had a good time
Cons: management could do a better job
Denny's was rather intense. For the most part I was the fry-guy, but I worked the other stations as well. I worked the day shift usually. When it came time to rock and roll for the breakfast customers, it was nonstop and I loved it. Jerry was the kitchen manager and he was a great guy. Everyone on the line worked well together and there was never any – more... "I think I'm better than you" attitudes. When it comes to upper management that's a different story. I worked there for over a year without so much as even a performance review. I don't even think they knew my name! Every week the tip pool got smaller for the kitchen staff and it got bigger for management. They would come into the kitchen while we were working to grab a bite, and they made us feel like we were in their way. On a brighter note...I was alone working the evening shift one day and someone came in to order an all-day breakfast. I did my thing and a little while later the server came up to me and said "That customer says he eats at Denny's in the States all the time and this was the best breakfast he's ever had". Kinda made me feel good. – less
Productive and fun to work in a chaotic enviornement
Cook (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONJuly 5, 2014
A typical day is very busy. Orders come in on the dozens and it is very fun because it is very challenging. I get along with all my co - workers which make time and the day go by easier and smoother. The hardest part of my job has to be the heated environment which I work in, however, I make due. The most enjoyable part of my job is that I did a good – more... job with all my orders. – less
Good experience overall
line cook (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCJune 16, 2014
good management, great co-workers, good experience.
learned about service industry, cooking, and maintenance of building.
given good hours and hourly wage.
fun workplace, unorganized management
Dishwasher (Current Employee), Brampton, ONApril 21, 2014
it is always busy at dennys and I am constantly running around, I learned to wash large amounts of plates and cutlery in a short amount of time, the management is bad, but there are changes being made, my co workers are great, the hardest part of the job is when the wash machine breaks down causing us to hand wash, the most enjoyable part of my job – more... is the free meals. – less
average place to work. not great but not terrible.
Service assistant (Former Employee), Lancaster, ONApril 4, 2014
Pros: free drinks
Cons: lack of employees, poor organization.
alright place to work at with friendly and interesting co-workers, but the lack of hired staff made for longer shifts and many times there would be no one working on the previous shift so you would have to clean the mess from the previous shift.
Overall great staff, and busy store
Hostess (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 27, 2014
Love working at Denny's it is always busy, however the pay is not what I am looking for.
Productive and entertaining place to work.
Busser (Former Employee), Niagara Falls, ONMarch 20, 2014
Pros: breaks and meals
Cons: long hairs and no tips
At Denny's, a typical day at work for me as a busser would be simply cleaning tables, bringing the dirty dishes to the dishwasher, supervising the bathrooms and attending to customers when servers were busy and performing what was asked immediately. I would also have a duty to vacuum the carpet, clean the restrooms, and sweep and mop the kitchen at – more... the end of each shift.
Being a busser, I learned a lot of different techniques. I learned all the duties I previously explained, how to work with customers, how to take care of my own bank account and I also learned to be patient when it comes to managers and customers.
My co-workers were very hard working, respectful and enjoyable. They also helped me when needed, kept me great company and were always reliable.
The hardest part of the job was having extremely long shifts back to back! But I was a very hard working employee so I appreciated the hours I was assigned each week.
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people every day. I love interacting with people so that was the most enjoyable part of being a busser at Denny's. – less
Received good experience with different kinds of people in a busy restaraunt.
Server, hostess and busser. (Former Employee), Kamloops, BCFebruary 11, 2014
Pros: worked with great people
Cons: difficulty getting to work.
A typical day at work would consist of taking an order from a customer and bringing the correctly ordered dish back to their table and meeting their every request with a skip in my step and a smile on my face. Once I the customer was finished I would clear their plates away as they were done and told them that I would see them next time and to have – more... a great day.

I learned patience and the importance of getting the correctly ordered plate into the order of the kitchen.

Management was good for accommodating to my schedule since I played competitive soccer.

The hardest part of my job would be getting there. Denny's was across town and I only had a pedal bike. I had to be very organized and had to have good time management skills.

The most enjoyable part of my job was having a customer and putting a smile on their face. Saying jokes when the opportunity presented itself and having the customer say that they were happy that I served them. – less
A restaurant with a tight-knit community.
Waitress (Current Employee), Revelstoke, BCJanuary 18, 2014
Pros: the harder and faster you work, the more tables you are able to serve while maintaining great costumer service, the more money you will make.
Cons: when the restaurant is in it's slow season, the hours of all staff members are cut.
Denny's, overall, has been a great and fulfilling experience. I enjoy the fast pasted environment, and to be ambitious at Denny's means you will be successful.
The hardest part about my job would have to be making sure not to take on too much; being ambitious I want to take on as much work as I can, but I have to keep costumer satisfaction in mind and – more... know my boundaries.

The best part about working at Denny's is the tight-knit and friendly network of people. Serving is obviously a very social job, between waitress and costumer, and meeting their needs is a pleasure, but specifically working along-side the rest of the staff members; the waitresses, waiters, cooks, server assistants and managers has always been enjoyable.
Many of my closest friends have been made at Denny's and it is a pleasure to work with them. – less

1 2 3 4 5