Denny's Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
A place to work
Line Cook (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 13, 2016
Pros: get money and work experiance
Cons: crummy people work there who don't know what they're doing
It's a nice starting place if you have no where else to go. Working at Denny's you can are given the opportunity to learn new skills that might become useful to you in your future goals. With that being said, management usually hires their friends first and qualified individuals second. So don't expect to have any issues or complaints taken seriously that you might have against specific co-workers.
Casual, faced paced chain diner
Server (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 8, 2016
I worked here for over a year and over all I would say I really enjoyed it. The volume of guests was high enough that there was always something to do, and my coworkers were all fun and upbeat people.
This is where I learned to be a server - I was well trained in a matter of a few short days and felt confident that I could execute my job without error by then. Management was inadequate, 3/5 managers were equally as involved when they were not in the restaurant at all. The hardest part of the job was HR related, and in the end was the reason for my leaving this job, but the most enjoyable was the job itself! I loved dealing with the guests, preparing desserts and beverages, ensuring coffee was brewed constantly and everything was clean and inviting.
A very busy restaurant. A lot of hard workers that make the business what it is.
Server (Current Employee), Niagara Falls, ONFebruary 21, 2016
Pros: Experienced staff hold things together.
Cons: messed up hours and no free lunch.
Servers and cooks stick together. Need experienced dish washers and more cooks on line. Running the kitchen with minimal staff. Feel sorry for the cooks watching them scramble. All it takes is a lousy general manager to make the workplace a horrible place to work for even for the most experienced server and cook.
nice work atmosphere ,I really had a good time working for Denny's restaurant
Dishwasher (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 13, 2016
Pros: good hours
Cons: layoffs
I worked with the evening and night crew , I was dishwasher/service assistant. My job was to maintain the store and dishes clean, and to help the waiters and waitresses clear tables. My experience there was fun and educating, the staff was amazing and the food really good. I learned some new skills that I can use later on in my life.
a great place to work
Hostess/Server (Former Employee), Prince George, BCApril 6, 2016
The management was great and knew how to treat their employees they thought you many things. my co workers were all outgoing and fun loving people we had a few laughs the hardest part of the job had to be being contently taking care of one table when you had so many others to get to, the most enjoyable part is getting to put a smile on everyone's faces every time they sat down in my tables
Good experience for a first time job
Hostess - Duties (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONFebruary 1, 2016
A typical day at Denny's, usually clock in, greet customers, answer the phone for take out orders or directions for customers. Always kept the restaurant clean by busing tables and cleaning the restrooms or dinning floor. The hardest part of the job was dealing with impatient customers but knowing that you have a keep a leveled head and be respectful to and patient with a customer. Most enjoyable part of my job was meeting new people, and learning new things from my fellow co-workers.
Quiet
Volunteer (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCFebruary 1, 2016
I had only spent one day there. The typical day I had learned, from the small conversations I had before and after I went into volunteer work, is busy. I had learned further communication skills. I did not meet management. My co-workers were respectful and helpful. The hardest part of the job is the repetition. It was just an enjoyable experience to begin with.
lack of happiness at work
Dishwasher (Current Employee), Oakville, ONOctober 22, 2015
Pros: 50% discount on food
Cons: neglecting to clean things up such as walls and floors, garbages outside needs to be picked up
work at denny's hasnt been easy, having to deal with teenaged dishwashers who tends to ignore and do things thier own way and tends to be slow during busy hours.
alot of servers, line cooks and dishwashers has been quitting work and goes somewhere else. Not enough hours given to everyone. I plan to leave once I find other job elsewhere.
good for a starter job
Dishwasher / Cook (Former Employee), Victoria, BCFebruary 5, 2016
Pros: meeting new people, great starter job
Cons: pay's not really all that great
cleaning the restaurant, completing side-work, making sure tables and booths were bussed for servers and customers, washing dishes for cooks and customers. I learned how to multi-task, and customer service (when applicable). Management was good for the most part, they were helpful to a point but sometimes they'd get a little frustrated and take it out on the employees. My co-workers were also good for the most part, some had the tendency to complain too much and it made for a bad day at work, aside from that we for the most part had a good camaraderie and could work together to get things done. The hardest part of the job was honestly maintaining the cleanliness of the restaurant due to high traffic/volume of customers coming in and out. The most enjoyable was getting to meet new people from all kinds of different backgrounds and learning new things as far as different jobs to do in the restaurant itself.
nice environment
Server (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 9, 2016
Pros: free food
Cons: empty promises
great environment
great staff
good food
clean.
very family orientated
great hours and flexability
Managers were respectful and honest
staff were almost like family to eachother
good place to make wonderful friends.
Excellent place to work
Certified Trainer / Senior Line Cook (Current Employee), Red Deer, ABFebruary 17, 2016
Pros: Free Meal, Hourly Tips and Opportunity to upgrade
Cons: N/A
I worked before with the same company and at present i am working too. It has been an excellent journey so far with this comapny and so on for future.
Denny's Work Experience
Hostess, Expediter and Server (Former Employee), South Keys, ONFebruary 20, 2016
Denny's is a family orientated restaurant that ran 24/7 364 days a year. Although a diner experience, the Dennys family is what made the job experience such a joy and a life long memory. The management staff was not only considerate but accommodating to schedule flexibility.

Every day, I learned something new from customers, regulars and those passing by before leaving to venture into another part of the world. I was tested to serve all ages from infants to the elderly, which requires understanding different age groups and needs.

The most challenging aspect of the job were days that required the most mental and physical demand such as Sunday Mornings or a single server for overnights.

After 22 years of Denny's Service, the restaurant is now closed. I know that those who have become part of the Denny's family aswell, can relate to the countless smiles, laughs, sweat ad hard workers.
It is a sad ending, but a start to something more beautiful. As it is said "One door closes so another may open."
Never ever work in denny's
SERVER (Former Employee), Burnaby, BCApril 16, 2016
Pros: N/A
Cons: Poor management
Its not that bad of a company
But the food industry in general is not that good to work for
Its a good job as a stepping stone
But I learned a lot in customer service and management skills
Great staff members fun to work with.
Manager (Former Employee), Victoria, BCJanuary 13, 2016
Pros: fun work enviornment
Cons: supposed to be a four manager team, only me for long time.
A very busy restaurant, fast paced, well organized, opened 24 hours. the training systems and menu rollouts again where well organized.
Good for beginners that are managing
Manager (Former Employee), Bellingham, WAFebruary 15, 2016
Pros: Free Meal
Cons: Long Hours
Long Hours
Good to learn the basics
Great team to work with
Limited options to learn as a manager
Late night shifts are long and hard on the weekends
Fun place to work
supervisor manager (Former Employee), OntarioNovember 26, 2015
Pros: Great money and fast paced
Cons: work/life balane was not good
Typical restaurant sever experience. Good ownership and loyal co-workers made it a great place to work. Long hours often interfered with my home life but the pay was very good.
Good job for student
Hostess (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 23, 2016
Pros: Free lunch
Cons: Not easy for advancement
Flexible hours for a student and a good first time job. It's a good customer service experience and stepping stone into the customer service industry.
Not a very good place financially
Line Cook/Prep (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 3, 2015
Pros: Free meals for cooks
Cons: No Raises
Most of the staff get along but there are plenty of times during the busy hours where the pleasantness definitely fades away. You get one free meal if you work in the kitchen on the line but because of management being too lazy for so long people take advantage of it.
Wicked work environment
Host/Server (Former Employee), Headingley, MBAugust 27, 2015
Pros: Free lunches and dinners
Cons: Angry customers
A typical day at work is like any other serving position you can think of with an added bonus of great laughs and even better stories.

I learned a great deal about how fun it can be to interact with the public along with attempting new ways to chat with customers.

Management at Denny's is great and very understanding.

Co-workers were hilarious and super easy to work with and around.

Hardest part of the job was getting swamped with tables and dealing with patrons that were upset. Even that was easier once my experience with customers improved.

The most enjoyable part was the team-work and the perks of eating food at work was not too bad!
Good time with co-wrkers
Restaurant Manager (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 22, 2016
Pros: free food
Cons: 10 hour shift
Enjoyed my stay with the company and co-managers.
great work place but with long hours and pen 24/7. so very little time for family.
Links