Denny's Employee Reviews

enjoyable atmosphere
Server (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ON13 November 2017
i loved the fast pace so i wasnt trying to fins something to do all the time. friendly staff and an all around enjoyable environment to work in, i always had repeat customers that i started to have daily conversations with. I like having good realtionships with the customers it seems to make the job alot more home like,
Fun place to work
Night Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 November 2017
This is a great company to work for they provide you with all the training and support that you need to be successful at your job. I would recommend it to anyone
It was okay.
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Brooks, AB30 October 2017
Dennys was okay. Overall good place. Very very fast paced. The co workers were alot of fun to work with., There was always something to do. We were never bored.
Pros
One free meal of anything you want.
Cons
Hardly any breaks. Too much to do in so little time.
Pretty good place for starters.
Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Colwood, BC26 October 2017
Typical day at work is pretty relaxing depending on your assignment.

Learned that I am extremely careful with any work I do, especially with anything new, thus causing me to personally be an annoyance as I did have to bug the people training me A LOT.

The managers were extremely nice. They were willing to work with my volatile schedule as long as I gave a good amount of notice, and even then, they understood when I called in that I couldn't come in due to my own religious reasons. Just give them a good amount of time and they'll work with it.

Hardest part is that it is stressful regardless. Working hard is physically and mentally demanding to some extent, but at Denny's it's extremely needed.

Most enjoyable is that it can be fun if you make it fun. I can't say the same for waiters and waitresses.

Extra advice I need to give that I see a lot of my own coworkers lacking honestly, is that you need to separate personal affairs from the job. It affected not only the staff, but also management ended up being affected because of this.
Pros
Free food for cooks when working. Discounts when eating on a non-working day.
Cons
Physically demanding.
It was a alright job but I learned many things
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 October 2017
Denny's was a great place to work at as my first job because i learnt how it felt to work part time. Workspace culture was friendly because other employees helped me throughout the couple months i worked and taught me many things which i can use towards my jobs in the future
Great first job
Service assistant (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC22 October 2017
Dennys was a wonderful place for me to start my carer. I started of as a dishwasher and became a service assistant in less then 2 weeks. I learned a lot from this job. How to clean tables, seat guests, roll up cutlery, take payments and eventually, i was training people myself. The management team was great as well. The hardest part of this job was to do everything quick, because you dont want to leave the customer waiting. But the most enjoyable part for me was seating and talking to guests and taking their payments
Pros
free food
Cons
a bit dirty
ok for high school kids
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 October 2017
I quite enjoyed my employment at denny's although I kind of did every ones job, and when it got busy we were constantly understaffed. if you are gonna work there summer time is best.
Pros
50 percent off food
Cons
customers
cook
Line cook (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 October 2017
Im working at denny''s full time since 2014 work environment is really good , you get to learn lot work pressure is there as there is always staff shortage .overall best environment to work .
Pros
Good team
Cons
Full hours
Great with advancement opportunities, bad with people
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC12 October 2017
Denny's has a loyal following. I followed for 16 years and was treated well. They are missing the family values that they once had to make it great again
It was good working there
Supervisor/Server (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 October 2017
Assisted guests with making menu choices in an informative and helpful fashion.
Deliverable exceptional service by greeting and serving customers in a timely and friendly manner.
Regularly check on guests to ensure satiisfaction with each food course and beverages.
Pros
enjoyable while serving customers
Cons
lots of headache
busy place
Server (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC2 October 2017
Worked here for many years. It was a great little place to work at. No room for advancement though, under new management now and heard its gone down the drain.
Pros
half of meals
Cons
no breaks when busy
So much potential
Server (Former Employee) –  Napanee, ON26 September 2017
Denny's is a great place for beginner servers as you rely on following through the brand standards of serving which gives a great start for new servers .
With a great team behind you the day goes by fast and enjoyable even when faced with disgruntled customers. Unfortunately prices on the menu are high for this area which leaves the server in the awkward position of being embarrassed at times when serving a side of a 1/4 cup of shredded hash browns for $3.49 ( which is almost the same price for a 5lb bag of potatoes at the grocery store)
If you can get past the common unhappy customer complaining then you'll build up a healthy tolerance to unreasonable customers which is good because since this Denny's is located along side the 401 it brings in quite an array of customers with varying expectations.
But with any restaurant the customers can be a pain.
Whenever customers are too much, call over a manager as any one of them are good at dealing with the complaints. With that said,
Management needs to be reviewed by the company .
There is a lack of organization and communication amoung management at Denny's and it causes daily unneeded stress for their employees such as confusing scheduling. Many times during the week the general manager would be confused and shocked how the schedule had gaps in it and would have to scramble to find covers or ask staff to stay late. The occasional time, even if it's once a week would be manageable but this problem goes on for weeks which is draining. In my opinion, employees were being disregarded and insulted when monthly memos would be
  more... released such as stricter break rules and removing end times with the expectation that employees would be working until they are not needed any more.
Overall if you need cash in hand after every shift and are very specific about what days you can work- stick to that and you should be fine. Don't fall into being responsible for poor scheduling errors.
Good luck
Pros
Cheap lunches, good pancakes, tips
It's Alright
Server (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 September 2017
The staff is friendly, for the most part. The pace is steady/busy on weekends. The tips are fair. The management is a little slack though. Morning shifts are the best, however it's hard to get put on them at first.
Pros
early start= early finish
Friendly work environment
SERVER/HOST (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC11 September 2017
I was required to complete different tasks throughout a shift, I learned to work in a timely and friendly manner, and to prioritize and complete tasks accordingly. Customers were always top priority so any other task such as keeping the restaurant clean, secondary duties, restocking or helping co-workers, was completed between customer service. The hardest part of the job was the very slow times where all secondary duties were completed and finding new tasks to complete was difficult. The best part of the job was speaking with the customers, helping them feel welcome and relaxed and inviting them to talk about their day and how they were doing.
Pros
Interactions with customers.
Cons
Not enough hours
life at Denny's
Server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 September 2017
Typical day at work: management yelling at everyone for no reason
What you learned: NOTHING
Management: unprofessional
hardest part of the job:
most enjoyable part of the job: meeting new patrons every day
A Canadian work environment
cook (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC6 September 2017
I enjoyed the Canadian work environment and I learned the Canadian work culture as well as communication skills with the people have different backgrounds and cultures.
Pros
close to my home
Cons
not related to my accounting career
productive place to work
Server and Host (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 August 2017
A productive place to work. Employees are all good and easy to work with. A busy restaurant. Management listens to each employees concern. A wonderful place to bring your to treat your family. Promotions are good based on customers satisfaction.
fun and exciting, different
Server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 August 2017
I met a lot of great people. It was a very fulfilling job. Due to health reasons I could not continue there. I served customers. I was hostess and server. I made salads, desserts, got drinks, took orders, cleaned, counted cash, served alcohol.
good environment
Dishwasher/Food Preparation (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC18 August 2017
i have been work at Denney's for few months but i like working environment which is friendly, cooperating, fun, better team environment, and good management.
Pros
good environment
opening team
SERVER (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB14 August 2017
dennys is awesome. I had great time working there. the training is really good. management was good, very nice, very accommodating in terms of staff time availability.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Denny's. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9