Delta Hotels

Delta Hotels Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good Company
Guest Services Agent (Current Employee), Fredericton, NBMarch 15, 2015
Pros: co-workers.
Cons: work hours.
the company itself is great to work for, the co-workers are awesome.
Management is VERY approachable - some of the most approachable people I've ever met work there. I can't say enough good about the people to give them justice.

BUT - the hours you work aren't so great. If you honestly don't care what time of day you work, or what days off you have, working holidays, and are very, very flexible to trade with anyone at any time, you'll probably really enjoy it there.
I found it hard to have a life outside of work if you don't switch departments immediately. If you have outside of work commitments, it can be quite difficult to find a work-life balance. If you are on a flex schedule, your schedule can change at the drop of a hat (more and less hours and shift time changes)
if you are on the picked-schedule, your hours are pretty much set but it is very difficult to get a desired shift and days off. There is little turn-around there so you will catch yourself on the night shift (working weekends) for a long time. (there are more late shift spots than there are people who want to work them and seek them out, so don't let that statement mislead you)
Advancement is slow, but they'll showcase fast ladder climbers.

I really enjoyed working there - though it is typical call center work with the same statistical requirements as any other call center - talk time, revenue and booking percentages.
An overall good four star hotel that always strive to do more for the guest and the hotel and its owners and staff.
Room Attendant, Housekeeping Department (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONSeptember 30, 2015
Pros: Our gym away from the gym
Cons: Could encourage more working experience within Delta at other locations
Initial training was very good, detailed and informative. On the job training too was timely and effective.
A typical day at work covered doing 16 rooms per day. We learned how to work thorough and quickly and learning how to engage the guest and exceeding their expectations.
Management gave us all the tools to work with making it easier for us inclusive of color coordinating cleaning rags to chemicals, to name a few. We also got the opportunity to cross train in other areas such as public areas and laundry to name a few.
Co-workers were encouraged to assist the newer ones who might take a longer time to finish their rooms. We also had incentives to make our jobs fun while doing it.
The hardest part of the job was cleaning rooms with game teams such as hockey, soccer tournament teams which would challenge our allotted time to do one room.
The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing the guests were happy with their rooms, the service and their stay based on our input.
Night Shift Position - Charlottetown
Overnight Maintenance (Former Employee), Charlottetown, PEIMarch 16, 2015
Pros: yes, inexpensive meals & parking
Cons: low pay, low morale, insufficient training, ineffective management
If this is an example of a "Top Company in Canada" then we are in BIG trouble. I know it's easy to dismiss the words of a formal employee as sour grapes, but I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. Perhaps other locations have a better management group, but here in Ch'town, not so much. They have replaced over 16 maintenance employees in the past 3 years. I was docked a days pay for being stranded at home in a snow storm and missing my shift, despite calling in. I was dismissed without notice despite having an above average 90 day review. My safety concerns to management were ignored completely. The culture is one of "do as you are told and don't ask questions". My training was abysmal despite being responsible for the entire building. Pay $13 / hour was the going rate, pathetic even for the island. My suggestion to Marriott is to clean house!
Banquet serving is a nightmare, complete chaos...!
Banquet Server (Former Employee), Regina, SK.July 9, 2014
Pros: sometimes a free lunch, at least something to eat, some commission
Cons: long weekend hours, bullies, language barriers, no empathy for being tired or sore, slave-driving
Working long hours, mostly on weekends until 2am. Having no space to work in the kitchen, up stairs or downstairs, and a very small banquet area that is packed tight with people. Very confusing as many different languages are spoken and some people do not even know english! Very ungrateful, aggravating and bossy management.
Extremely hard on the body, as you are expected to carry huge trays and never stop moving...
Company consistently ranks amongs Canada's top 50 employers for 11 consecutive years
Corporate Accounts Specialist (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 25, 2012
A typical day included much contact with clients, balancing different corporate accounts and reponding to the various requests. The ability to multitask, prioritized and use good judgement were all built into the daily learning outcome and managers/coworkers were supportive, encouraging and pleasant to work with. The hardest part of the job was dealing with demanding guests when availability was limited or hotel was sold out while the most rewarding was making a difference in the life of low income families/patients by providing discounted or free room nights when possible.
Staff are great..little room for advancement
Front Office (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 3, 2015
Pros: Great staff, meals provided at low cost per shift
Cons: Management not living up to Values. Extended shifts little benefit
I worked for the front office for 4.5 yrs and got nowhere. I loved the people I worked with and some of the lower level managers, however, the SLT (Senior Leadership Team) was lacking in the Cultural Values of the brand. Opportunities for advancement were very few and far between. A person could over exceed expectations but there is no appreciation for it from any level of management. It is Expected of you. I did receive lots of training which prepared me to move on from the brand.
Slowly going downhill
Worker (Former Employee), GTAApril 9, 2013
Pros: family is hired first
As more Deltas are purchase and franchised under Westmont Hospitality group they are losing exceptional, qualified staff.
Staff are overworked, used, treated like cattle. They swoop in, don't pay for renovations, lay off top staff and expect the rest left to pick up the lose ends. The burn out rate is so high, and parts of the benefits are being dropped without any notice, until you need that service.
This is not a company to work for any longer, everyone is looking to other brands to continue on with their career. Nice going Westmont
from full time to casual
housekeeping (Former Employee), ottawa, onNovember 23, 2013
Pros: great wage
Cons: no hours
There is so much senority that they cannot guarantee you the hours. I was hired full time but only worked 4 weeks of full time hours , then was told it's not busy so we have no hours so you (me) will be on call. On call?????????? i was supposedly hired full time NOT casual and i loose my benefits??? How anyone can live or earn a living this way is beyond me. I wouldn't recommend employment in Delta hotels in ottawa
Could take pride in working for this company, high standards in health and safety, employee moral and team building
Rooms Quality Attendant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 12, 2012
Pros: discount on rooms
Cons: if heavy workload, no extra time granted
Overall, Delta Hotel is a very organized, respectful place to work. Guest satisfaction was always top priority and employees were always encouraged to use own initiative to ensure guest's comfort and happiness. Great benefits offered to employees, and moral always important to management.
productive
Food Service Associate (MSC Agency) (Current Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 14, 2015
Pros: free meal
Cons: less or short working hours
Food service associates is in the whole process of the hotel and restaurant day to day activities and operation. We occupy one of the vital or important role of the hotel and restaurant by means of safeguarding all the materials needed in the dining and kitchen areas. With the motto "clean and fast" we make it sure that every task given in scheduled time is accomplished in an excellent way.
very good company to work for
Lead Server (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: free dinner
Cons: usually working grave yard shift
Worked in teams to serve multiple functions, and dealt with different types of customers

Management was good at rotating roles and assigning jobs

co-workers were very good with each other

hardest part of this job was getting by the dinner service which required each of us servers to serve with the utmost efficiency and precision

the most enjoyable part of the job was talking to different people and working in teams
Server/Bartender (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONDecember 5, 2013
Fun and inviting atmosphere to be apart of.
It started with a very stressful early morning, but once you got use to it, it was a blast.
management was rather lazy
and the co-workers didn't seem to care much about their jobs.
The hardest part of the job, was the addition of the new manger.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the fact that I got to interact with a verity of people from all over the world.
overall not a bad place to work
Restaurant Manager (Former Employee), St. John's, NLFebruary 17, 2013
Pros: some perks
Cons: poor communication
usually very busy learned to work with a very diverse group of people being such a large employer it was not a very close knit management team as it should have been I didn't really find many hard aspects we had a lot of sick time The people you met every day and my staff
Best place I ever worked for
Line and Banquet Cook/ Saucier (Former Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 17, 2014
Pros: good posative environment, a family type environment, always room for advancement
Cons: my wage, but again, theres lots of room for advancement
I would get to work nice and early and do the best I could. We often times did a lot of high end large scale banquets and I loved my job more than I had ever realised after I left.
They treated me like I was easily replaceable and I did not have the supplies needed to do my job, and they said deal with it!
House Person (Former Employee), Kingston, ONSeptember 12, 2013
Cons: no supplies, no communication, poor managment
Just the worst position I have ever had and the worst treatment! I would talk everyone I know from working at that DELTA KINGSTON LOCATION!
Productive, fun work place
Second Cook (Former Employee), Regina, SKJuly 23, 2014
I enjoyed working here, the people I worked with were great, and the environment was fast-paced and very enjoyable. I would assist the chef in cooking all types of food. We would do weekly clean up of the entire kitchen, to make sure everything was up to health standards.
Difficult for many.
Housekeeper (Former Employee), Moncton, NBMay 15, 2015
Pros: free food
Cons: horrible shifts
The hardest part was having to do room after room with no break . The job was exaushing and the shifts were terrible. It was a job not meant for someone my age to be working there the expectations are high for kids. They should only hire adults.
Full of bullies
Former employee (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONDecember 3, 2013
Pros: nothing
Cons: long hours and a lot of stress
This is a hotel were you can easily find bully and harrasment at the workplace. Managers are mostly arrogants and sel-fish. Everything is "good" when it's convenient for them.
Overloaded in work and not really teamplayers.
productive work place that cares about the customers
3rd Cook (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 30, 2015
You are fully responsible for the station you are working, food preparation and cooking. It was great to learn how to work in a large kitchen. The company was undergoing new management. The staff had a wide range of knowledge and are easy to work with.
Staff were friendly and easy to work with
Room Attendant (Former Employee), Sydney, NSOctober 14, 2014
Pros: tips were nice
Cons: long/hot days
getting carts and checking for all supplies needed was the most important part of the work day
enjoy meeting people from different countries
Clean linen wasn't always available had to wait sometimes