Position Summary: The Sous Chef is responsible for assisting with enhancing the image and reputation of the hotel by providing for the culinary needs of the guests through the day-to-day operation of the kitchen team.
- To assist with executing on the vision for high quality food in a professional, safe and efficient manner, satisfying the needs of the individual Outlets and Events and exceeding the guests' expectations.
- To guide, direct, organize and develop an engaged Culinary team through a hands-on approach.
- Assists with employing the available resources to drive the business with specific revenue, cost / expense and productivity targets, operating with effective controls, processes and procedures as identified in the budget and business plan.
Duties and Essential Job Functions
1. To assist with executing on the vision for high quality food in a professional, safe and efficient manner, satisfying the needs of the individual Outlets and Events and exceeding the guests' expectations.
- Assists with creating a positive overall guest experience for both internal and external guests, ensuring that food quality and presentation is consistent, portioned and exceptional
- Using creativity and flair; assists with the development and implementation of seasonal menus that reflect the theme and market segments that the Outlets and Event Services attract
** Plays a key role in food production, including hands-on supervisory responsibilities with audit and critique of product being produced
- To ensure Health & Safety requirements are met; Ecosure, Health, Safety, Sanitation & Food Safe
o Ensures the adherence of a weekly preventative maintenance check program for all kitchen equipment and conducts regular audits
o Sanitation: enforces a cleaning schedule, ensuring that all kitchen areas meet our high standards for health and safety
- Works in conjunction with the Executive Chef, Sous Chef and Food & Beverage management to enhance the guest's experience by ensuring that they receive exceptional food
2. To guide, direct, organize and develop an engaged Culinary team through a hands-on approach.
- Is physically present at all high (busy) times working the kitchen and leading by example
- Ensures the team understands the correlation between service excellence and guest perception of the hotel, mentoring all members of the team towards service excellence and the creation of wow factors
- Assists with building a high performing, motivated and engaged team
- Works with the team to ensure the tenets of food quality and food cost management are applied daily
- Provides direct training, coaching and guidance to Culinary team by conducting one-on-one meetings with team members
- Coaches and trains the Culinary team and holds accountable to performance expectations
- Provides feedback for the completion of Performance Reviews on a timely basis
- Conducts "High Time" training for the department
3. Assists with employing the available resources to drive the business with specific revenue, cost / expense and productivity targets, operating with effective controls, processes and procedures as identified in the budget and business plan.
- Participates in the management of the day-to-day operations of the kitchen.
- Contributes to the success for the hotel as a whole by communicating with other departments
- Assists with the generation of new revenue by offering suggestions and ideas for improvements
- Assists with ensuring the department's operational efficiency managing the departmental budget
o Assists with meeting specified targets in the budget
o Ensures productivity by managing the labour budget
o Assists with the ordering process for all supplies
- Assists with facilities management through ensuring fixtures, equipment and the kitchen areas are well maintained and clean portraying the quality of our product
- Assists with inventory management and control and utilization of waste minimization techniques
- Assists with planning for the operations with upcoming business volumes for upcoming week and or months
- Adherence to Delta Greens requirements
Knowledge and Skills Required / Behaviors Required
- Red Seal
- Minimum 5 years restaurant / hotel experience
- Minimum 1 year management experience
- Strong knowledge of Food Safe and Health Board Regulations
- Knowledge of menu engineering, cost and inventory controls
- Knowledge of scheduling and payroll an asset
- Strong customer service skills
- Strong computer literacy with MS Office
o Must be able to spend entire shifts either on their feet or walking * Strong management skills
- Culinary passion and creativity
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Highly organized with a strong attention to detail
- Takes ownership of duties, shows initiative and is proactive
- Strategic thinker with a strong focus on goals, setting priorities and time management
- Positive attitude and team player
- Possess good judgment and problem-solving skills
- Flexible, must be willing to work a variety of hours, including days, evenings as well as weekends and holidays based on the business needs.