Position Summary -The Chief Engineer is responsible to ensure the physical plant and product are in a condition whereas to exceed our guests expectations. These objectives will be obtained by overseeing major mechanical systems, preventive maintenance programs, physical guestroom product and by directing employees within the scope of the Maintenance Department.
Duties and Essential Job Functions
1. To ensure a safe and well-maintained Company physical plant and product to exceed guest expectations.
- Oversee major mechanical systems throughout the hotel, ensuring that all systems are fully operational
- Ensures comprehensive preventative maintenance program is effectively implemented and maintained
- Ensures routine inspections of the property, all machinery and equipment is occurring
- Ensures a preventative maintenance program is in place and being adhered to. Develops preventative maintenance practices which ensure the longevity of all equipment, including the monitoring and tendering of all service contracts.
- Well maintained guest rooms and public areas, by identifying and reporting deficiencies and opportunities.
- Responsible for project management (e.g. co-ordinate FF&E upgrades etc.)
- Responsible for the physical product and contributes to Product Brand Identity by improving the Hotel's appearance
- Our service standards have been clearly identified and are being met: we are consistently anticipating the needs of the customer, being proactive and going above and beyond by seeking out opportunities to build emotional relationships with our guests.
2. To employ the available resources to drive the business with specific revenue, cost / expense and productivity targets, operating with effective controls, processes and procedures as identified in the budget and business plan.
- Contributes to the success for the hotel as a whole by communicating with other departments and always maintaining a position of a natural leader, even with other departments.
- Responsible for the department's operational efficiency managing the departmental budget in its entirety
- Meets specified targets in the budget.
- Ensures productivity by managing the labour budget.
- Manages the ordering process for all maintenance supplies.
- Manages the vendors and Contractors' agreements to maintain costs within the budget.
- Plays an active role and works with the Hotel Manager and Accounting team throughout the budget process.
- Maintains custody and responsibility of hotel access points, security monitoring and key management.
- Provides facilities management through ensuring furniture, fixtures, equipment and the front office areas are well maintained and clean portraying the quality of our product.
- Responsible for Inventory management and control.
- Identify and prioritize organizational objectives, ensuring that the engineering and maintenance process is continuously improved through the use of ongoing evaluation and problem solving teams.
- Designs and responsible for implementation of uniform and consistent systems and processes, ensuring adherence to all Delta Key Service Standards, Hallmark Deliverables and Community Codes.
- Ensures all processes, spaces and employees adhere to the OHSA guidelines and Hotel Health & Safety standards. Plays an integral role on the hotel's Health & Safety Committee.
- Builds strong relationships with outside vendors and contractors.
- Is knowledgeable of and stays current with industry trends (e.g. form, function and aesthetics of the guest room) and our competitors.
3. To guide, direct, organize and develop an engaged Maintenance team.
- Ensures the team understands the correlation between service excellence and guest perception of the hotel, mentoring all members of the team towards service excellence and the creation of wow factors.
- Actively works to build a high performing, motivated and engaged team.
- Bears overall responsibility for all administrative duties associated with people management (payroll, performance reviews etc.).
- Provides training, coaching and guidance by conducting one-on-one meetings with team members.
- Leads and ensures "High Time" training for the department.
- Provides a "Hands on" and "Lead by example" approach with day to day engineering duties and/or projects as required.
Knowledge and Skills Required
- Journeyman ticket or 4th Class Power Engineer Certificate an asset
- Strong knowledge and understanding of Engineering and Maintenance process
- 2-3 years experience in progressively senior role
- Experience in preventative maintenance, fire safety, energy management, and health and safety
- Above average forecasting, scheduling, budgeting and cost analysis and reduction skills.
- Knowledge of OHSA
- Strong computer literacy
- Strong leadership and management skills, able to motivate and manage a team.
- Team Player.
- Excellent communicator.
- Highly organized, strong attention to detail.
- Takes ownership of duties, shows initiative and is proactive.
- Strategic thinker; able to understand and contribute to the business as a whole, considers the impact on the entire business when making decisions.
- Physical effort - Regularly lifts weight over 22 lbs., walking, standing, bending/reaching, pushing/pulling, enter confined spaces
- Visual Effort - Some visual concentration.
- Flexible; able to work a variety of hours in order to meet the needs of the property and guest
We appreciate all applicants, however only those selected for interview will be contacted at this time.
Indeed - 2 years ago