Dell Employee Reviews

very pressurizing, and must have multitasking skill with good speed.
Officer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 March 2014
my day starts at 8am, I have to report 15 minutes before start time. it is extremly hectic in the morning hours, I have to monitor all the CCTV's and also help all the employee's with their access to campus by creating pass key for them. Meanwhile I also have to maintain contact with building operators and generate work orders for various contractors, after that i have to flag all the work orders and access authorization with their respective orders. We also have celebrity escort very often, so I have to dispatch guards for them and also keep contact with them. In afternoon I start clearing pass keys and update all the employee information. In evening I have to do audits of NVR switches and CCTV routers and attach all the reports at the end of my shift.
Dynamic and Fun place to work
Inside sales (Former Employee) –  North York, ON24 March 2014
I would come in, say hi to my co-workers, set up my laptop, sign in to all my applications and programs. I learned different software and hardware products and protocols.
management was great and co-workers are easy to get along with.
job was not hard or difficult but new challenges would come up regarding different departments and it was exciting learning new things. every day was company lunch and it was great to sit down with the staff and eat and converse.
Pros
free food, company perks
Cons
no security with sales
good place to work
Sales (Former Employee) –  toronto14 March 2014
fast paced environment & great co-workers
Learned a lot about IT
Management needs lots of work
Cons
dell bureaucracy
Good salary
Customer Care Agent (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 March 2014
Many cubicles of workers who are constantly on the phone to clients resolving issues with their purchase.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Stressfull
Logistics Technician
LOGISTICS TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON6 February 2014
Outbound Logistics Technician post-sale, ensuring customer service and proper shipping practices.
very good company to work , wish they have better Managment
Sr. Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 January 2014
working as consultant for different capacity including network, security, engineering, data center, day to day operation and project management , I also have on call rotation since we are supporting 24/7.
Productive and result orientated.
Admin (Former Employee) –  Toronto11 January 2014
Don't let the informal attire of the employees in this office fool you; they are every bit as professional as you'd expect from a highly competitive tech/communications company. Management sets very high standards for their subordinates, strive for results, and in most cases are not disappointed; Dell hires very high caliber employees. The training is excellent and employees can hold their heads high when it comes to their proficiencies.

Dell strives to keep up to date technologically and their staff enjoys the advantage of using the best software and hardware available. A Dell employee has access to training in just about every area of technology.

Unfortunately, over the past couple of years culture started changing and middle management, junior management, team leads and non-management staff encounter a lot of obstacles such as having to get someone else sigh off on something that should be within their or their manager’s scope of authorization, having to seek authorization for seemingly trivial things and having to explain why something needs to be changed and done in a certain way, and if someone higher up does not agree, tough. This stifles the creativity of staff members and really Dell is loosing out on their insights and ability to make functions work better. This trend started around the same time as the slump in the economy and the frenzied offshoring.

With the reduction in staff in some areas, remaining staff in those departments are overwhelmed with work and put in long hours to keep things running as smoothly as before.

Outsourcing and perhaps more
  more... accurately, offshoring, has also placed a tremendous burden on employees as many times there are communication and cultural barriers that are frustrating for all involved and slow down processes. This is by no means the fault of the people involved; they should be teamed up better. (This was (and still is) unfortunately a very huge complaint from customers that we dealt with and had to placate.)

Pay and benefits are areas where Dell has to improve. Most people stay because of the people and the work which, while in some cases is overwhelming in volume, they do find challenging and satisfying. If salary were the only thing that kept people at Dell, they would not be able to keep the excellent employees that make Dell one of the leaders in its field.

An area where Dell can benefit by improving processes, is customer service. There was a time that Dell's customer service was considered the best across all sectors in North America. Now it's not even in the competition. One way they can do this is by being country specific in their customer service - e.g. North Americans servicing North Americans; British servicing British etc. This will eliminate the language and cultural barriers that both customers and customer services representatives are struggling with.

If you are looking for growth, the opportunity to learn as much as possible in your field and/or technology, want to work with people who are dedicated, smart, friendly and fun to be around, and can live with the cons, then Dell is for you.
Pros
Cutting edge technology, concentration of intelligent people makes it a good place to grow, Flexible work environment - can telecommute were possible.
Cons
Long hours, Salaries in some devisions not in keeping with industry norms, Instead of promotion, employees are moved to new positions and told it is a lateral move, when in fact it should be a promotion, Lack of job security due to outsourcing and offshoring, Lack of autonomy in some devisions smother the productivity of others.
Great organization, a great leader to the innovation technology
Business Analyst / Consultant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 December 2013
Great organization, a great leader to the innovation technology
Good project
Deployment and Data Migration Technician (Current Employee) –  Toronto25 September 2013
friendly environment, learn new skills every day, management is very friendly.
Pros
Once a week free lunch
lots of work. all day long.
Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  North York, ON12 September 2013
very casual work atmosphere. friendly co workers.hglhbhb.jkb,m.n.jnbhlvkgtckhjvbnmbhj.n.lhblb.jkbkutv,chgj,kgcgh,hfhjgkcmghjkhjgtghvcgftcmhfjg,futyhk
Pros
company spirit
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Toronto21 August 2013
Assurance that I as an employee had gainful employment with my work life. Compensation is well above expected.
Partner Solutions Lead (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 August 2013
Lots of opportunities presented to increase skill set. I worked varkous roles at this company. EMC provides employees with the skills to deal with customers of all sizes and requirements.
Flexible working environment
Assistant Marketing Department (Former Employee) –  Dublin, D17 July 2013
Dell management was flexible and friendly, therefore more efficient, a lot of the work could be done from work. Co-workers were happy. Most of the meetings were held via conference call with other Dell divisions in Europe. The hardest part of the job was make customers take time to answer questions. But overal a great working experience.
the culture and people i have worked with Dell are one of the best
Sales Support Queue  (Former Employee) –  Eastwood City Cyberpark, Libis, QC29 June 2013
A typical day at work will be opening our outlook for emails from customers, responses regarding inquiries, emails from different departments. I learned a lot at Dell. I also learned to develop my patience, understanding and humility. The management was okay, but my co-workers are great. The hardest part of the job is to tell the customer that you cannot really assist them even if you wanted to because the request is already a dead end. One of the most enjoyable part of the job, is the beginning of the month where we receive our meal cards for the month.
Pros
meal card every month, internet access
Cons
unpaid OTs.
Productive & useful experience & Career Developement
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON10 June 2013
Given free hand in developing and completing Electronic systems database and inventory for due diligence preparation of Y2K program
within Goulbourn Township.
Pros
co-operation and assistance from all departments
Cons
No assistance from manufacturers of electronic parts or devices
Good atmosphere and good support
Technician on call (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 June 2013
Long night at phone, getting more training and experience as a DELL computer technician. Whenever you need anything from the job, you can ask your manager who, every week, you will have a one-to-one meeting to discuss your progress and outside that meeting, there will be there to discuss anything related to job you encounter. Regarding Level 2 technicians and co-workers are their to give you support at any free time. In regard to the hardest part of the job when you receive an issue that takes a long time to be solved, or even takes a long time and will be unsolvable. The most enjoyable part is when you have any social activities with co-workers or even small talks.
fast pace work enviroment
Bilingual Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  North York, ON29 May 2013
Excellent Company to work for , extremely challenging at times
Pros
excellent team work
Cons
A challenging and rewarding place to work
Senior Marketing Mgr- Public/Large Enterprise (Current Employee) –  Toronto , Ontario24 April 2013
I interface with many managers in sales and marketing and provide insights into market trends , developments , and performance which is key to their strategic planning. I'm a member of senior managements planning council.

Some examples of the key information provided are reports on Retention, Aquisition and Development accounts; Buypower data; Sales and Share trends and developments by customer, segments, and LOB. This information is vital to helping us make better map accounts to sales people and to better plan sales territories. It's also vital to sales plays and marketing events.

I often work on very tight deadlines where informational support is needed on a moment's notice.

Being from a sales background I am fully in tune with the needs of the sales organization and its tight timelines. We work as a team.

Satisfaction of a job well done and the understanding that my work has been appreciated and helped our company secure more business.
Pros
work from home days provide relief from the daily commute and actually improve productivity
Cons
lots of conference calls . lack of chances to meet face to face.
Dell is relaxed and FUN
Hardware Support Agent (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 April 2013
Fun! The management wants you to enjoy your time and your team!
Pros
management lets you have fun fun fun!
Cons
low wage
Employee focused work environment
Contact Centre Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 January 2013
Business unit lead on Customer Experience and External Problem Resolution metric.
Created a premium support team for key client group.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dell. Our community is ready to answer.