Dell Employee Reviews

A Great Place to Work
Senior Marketing Manager, (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 November 2014
A great place to work overall. Great people and supportive work environment.

Frustration of dealing with US head office to support initiatives for Canada. No real leeway to customize for the Canadian market. Communication from HQ was lacking at times.
Pros
Work from Home flexibility
Cons
US inflexibility
Worked with a great team
Data Analyst Specialist / Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Limerick, LK21 October 2014
Coordinated between two teams to perform administrative duties. Worked within a Global team.
Updated time sheets and tracked holiday log.
Attended Global meetings as a representative for our regional office.
Provided an update of projects to management.
Ensured smooth running of the department day to day, delegated when needed.
Great team spirit; camaraderie
Pros
quarterly bonus; benefits;
Cons
long commute
average
Account Manager, Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Toronto13 October 2014
Mid-level directors are clueless and incompetent. I have no idea how they became the 2nd largest computer company in the world but its clear to me as a former insider and a current-outside observer that they are stagnating.
A good learning experience
Technical Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 September 2014
This was a good use of my skill set, though I did not enjoy the phone aspect too much
Pros
wage
Cons
location
TSR (Former Employee) –  Edmonton Alberta9 September 2014
I worked as a technical support rep in the call center. It was great. The management was smart and friendly. Co-workers were fun. There was really only 2 or 3 places to proceed with my career though which was to move to tier 2 support or to move to a different category of troubleshooting like software. I did neither as Dell pulled up roots and left my town. Sad to see them go.
Pros
fun atmosphere, the management was always helpful
Cons
not much choice in moving up the ladder
It was a great learning expereince
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  North York5 August 2014
I learned so much and it was not only a great experience but wonderful place to work in.
Learnt all my troubleshooting skills
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Kanata23 July 2014
Talking to customers all day
Great troubleshooting skills
Great to work for Dell
Nice coworkers
Sitting all day is the hardest part of the job
Solved people problem makes me happy
Pros
Discount on computer s
Cons
Company close down
Not organized, pull from one job to another
HVAC Technician second year apprentice (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE23 July 2014
Co-workers were very friendly and worked as a team, but managment were not organized. More work then what workers could handle therefore lost contracts.
Pros
Health benefits, supplied work clothing.
Cons
Over time hours paid the same as regular work hours
Nco
Administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  montreal25 June 2014
NCO is a very typical - head down plow through your work ask no questions type of work place... this is a good place for younger adults go to work... if only to learn that every employer will be different and that they have to lear to adjust to higher mamagment
Productive and fun place to work.
Global Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 June 2014
Great for work/life balance.
Lots of flexibility.
Many opportunities for career progression.
Call Center.
Customer Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON2 June 2014
Took voice initiated customer/internal calls.

Limited breaks and being monitored by multiple managers.
Hard to get feed back on tasks from management.

Good co-workers to work with.

Constant non-confidential surveys (said to be confidential). Managers presenting and asking who wrote each survey.

Job was easy and understood most of the time.

No raises or benefits after 3 years. No job security.
Advance to another department/studying was done with long hours and commute concluding in a 5:30am - 7pm/8pm days, with no extra pay.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
No job security or benefits.
An exciting place to work
Team Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ENG23 May 2014
Come in and log into the phone systems and offer Tier 2 support to the Tier 1 agents. I would read up updates on policies.

The management was very motivating and valued their employees. The hardest part of the job was having to provide the same information to the same individual every week. The most enjoyable part was having the CEO Michael Dell come visit the group.
Pros
Pizza lunches, Recognition for perfect attendance
Cons
Hard to get there with transit
Less than promised
Customer Support Technician (CST) (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON17 April 2014
Entry level positions, little opportunity to advance if you're in Canada, even if you get EMC's Proven Professional Certifications.
Management is inexperienced and sloppy, micromanaged from the United States by a "Leadership Team" that is based outside of Boston.
Everyone is a temp contractor, they promise to hire people on, but it takes years (7+ on average).
No raises, health benefits, sick days, vacation is 4% calculated on each pay.
Pros
Easy Job
Cons
Retards your career development
very pressurizing, and must have multitasking skill with good speed.
Officer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 March 2014
my day starts at 8am, I have to report 15 minutes before start time. it is extremly hectic in the morning hours, I have to monitor all the CCTV's and also help all the employee's with their access to campus by creating pass key for them. Meanwhile I also have to maintain contact with building operators and generate work orders for various contractors, after that i have to flag all the work orders and access authorization with their respective orders. We also have celebrity escort very often, so I have to dispatch guards for them and also keep contact with them. In afternoon I start clearing pass keys and update all the employee information. In evening I have to do audits of NVR switches and CCTV routers and attach all the reports at the end of my shift.
Dynamic and Fun place to work
Inside sales (Former Employee) –  North York, ON24 March 2014
I would come in, say hi to my co-workers, set up my laptop, sign in to all my applications and programs. I learned different software and hardware products and protocols.
management was great and co-workers are easy to get along with.
job was not hard or difficult but new challenges would come up regarding different departments and it was exciting learning new things. every day was company lunch and it was great to sit down with the staff and eat and converse.
Pros
free food, company perks
Cons
no security with sales
good place to work
Sales (Former Employee) –  toronto14 March 2014
fast paced environment & great co-workers
Learned a lot about IT
Management needs lots of work
Cons
dell bureaucracy
Good salary
Customer Care Agent (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 March 2014
Many cubicles of workers who are constantly on the phone to clients resolving issues with their purchase.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Stressfull
Logistics Technician
LOGISTICS TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON6 February 2014
Outbound Logistics Technician post-sale, ensuring customer service and proper shipping practices.
very good company to work , wish they have better Managment
Sr. Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 January 2014
working as consultant for different capacity including network, security, engineering, data center, day to day operation and project management , I also have on call rotation since we are supporting 24/7.
Productive and result orientated.
Admin (Former Employee) –  Toronto11 January 2014
Don't let the informal attire of the employees in this office fool you; they are every bit as professional as you'd expect from a highly competitive tech/communications company. Management sets very high standards for their subordinates, strive for results, and in most cases are not disappointed; Dell hires very high caliber employees. The training is excellent and employees can hold their heads high when it comes to their proficiencies.

Dell strives to keep up to date technologically and their staff enjoys the advantage of using the best software and hardware available. A Dell employee has access to training in just about every area of technology.

Unfortunately, over the past couple of years culture started changing and middle management, junior management, team leads and non-management staff encounter a lot of obstacles such as having to get someone else sigh off on something that should be within their or their manager’s scope of authorization, having to seek authorization for seemingly trivial things and having to explain why something needs to be changed and done in a certain way, and if someone higher up does not agree, tough. This stifles the creativity of staff members and really Dell is loosing out on their insights and ability to make functions work better. This trend started around the same time as the slump in the economy and the frenzied offshoring.

With the reduction in staff in some areas, remaining staff in those departments are overwhelmed with work and put in long hours to keep things running as smoothly as before.

Outsourcing and perhaps more
  more... accurately, offshoring, has also placed a tremendous burden on employees as many times there are communication and cultural barriers that are frustrating for all involved and slow down processes. This is by no means the fault of the people involved; they should be teamed up better. (This was (and still is) unfortunately a very huge complaint from customers that we dealt with and had to placate.)

Pay and benefits are areas where Dell has to improve. Most people stay because of the people and the work which, while in some cases is overwhelming in volume, they do find challenging and satisfying. If salary were the only thing that kept people at Dell, they would not be able to keep the excellent employees that make Dell one of the leaders in its field.

An area where Dell can benefit by improving processes, is customer service. There was a time that Dell's customer service was considered the best across all sectors in North America. Now it's not even in the competition. One way they can do this is by being country specific in their customer service - e.g. North Americans servicing North Americans; British servicing British etc. This will eliminate the language and cultural barriers that both customers and customer services representatives are struggling with.

If you are looking for growth, the opportunity to learn as much as possible in your field and/or technology, want to work with people who are dedicated, smart, friendly and fun to be around, and can live with the cons, then Dell is for you.
Pros
Cutting edge technology, concentration of intelligent people makes it a good place to grow, Flexible work environment - can telecommute were possible.
Cons
Long hours, Salaries in some devisions not in keeping with industry norms, Instead of promotion, employees are moved to new positions and told it is a lateral move, when in fact it should be a promotion, Lack of job security due to outsourcing and offshoring, Lack of autonomy in some devisions smother the productivity of others.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dell. Our community is ready to answer.