Dell Employee Reviews in Canada

good place to work
Sales (Former Employee) –  torontoMarch 14, 2014
fast paced environment & great co-workers
Learned a lot about IT
Management needs lots of work
Cons
dell bureaucracy
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  TorontoAugust 21, 2013
Assurance that I as an employee had gainful employment with my work life. Compensation is well above expected.
Excellent compnay to work for!
Production worker (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONSeptember 10, 2012
Enjoyed my time at Coty. The people and job were exciting, met lots of life long friends tehre
Productive and result orientated.
Admin (Former Employee) –  TorontoJanuary 11, 2014
Don't let the informal attire of the employees in this office fool you; they are every bit as professional as you'd expect from a highly competitive tech/communications company. Management sets very high standards for their subordinates, strive for results, and in most cases are not disappointed; Dell hires very high caliber employees. The training is excellent and employees can hold their heads high when it comes to their proficiencies.

Dell strives to keep up to date technologically and their staff enjoys the advantage of using the best software and hardware available. A Dell employee has access to training in just about every area of technology.

Unfortunately, over the past couple of years culture started changing and middle management, junior management, team leads and non-management staff encounter a lot of obstacles such as having to get someone else sigh off on something that should be within their or their manager’s scope of authorization, having to seek authorization for seemingly trivial things and having to explain why something needs to be changed and done in a certain way, and if someone higher up does not agree, tough. This stifles the creativity of staff members and really Dell is loosing out on their insights and ability to make functions work better. This trend started around the same time as the slump in the economy and the frenzied offshoring.

With the reduction in staff in some areas, remaining staff in those departments are overwhelmed with work and put in long hours to keep things running as smoothly as before.

Outsourcing and perhaps more accurately,
  more... offshoring, has also placed a tremendous burden on employees as many times there are communication and cultural barriers that are frustrating for all involved and slow down processes. This is by no means the fault of the people involved; they should be teamed up better. (This was (and still is) unfortunately a very huge complaint from customers that we dealt with and had to placate.)

Pay and benefits are areas where Dell has to improve. Most people stay because of the people and the work which, while in some cases is overwhelming in volume, they do find challenging and satisfying. If salary were the only thing that kept people at Dell, they would not be able to keep the excellent employees that make Dell one of the leaders in its field.

An area where Dell can benefit by improving processes, is customer service. There was a time that Dell's customer service was considered the best across all sectors in North America. Now it's not even in the competition. One way they can do this is by being country specific in their customer service - e.g. North Americans servicing North Americans; British servicing British etc. This will eliminate the language and cultural barriers that both customers and customer services representatives are struggling with.

If you are looking for growth, the opportunity to learn as much as possible in your field and/or technology, want to work with people who are dedicated, smart, friendly and fun to be around, and can live with the cons, then Dell is for you.
Pros
cutting edge technology, concentration of intelligent people makes it a good place to grow, flexible work environment - can telecommute were possible.
Cons
long hours, salaries in some devisions not in keeping with industry norms, instead of promotion, employees are moved to new positions and told it is a lateral move, when in fact it should be a promotion, lack of job security due to outsourcing and offshoring, lack of autonomy in some devisions smother the productivity of others.
I'm no writer; so bare with me. At first it was overwhelming
Senior Analyst B3 Division Dell on Call (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 11, 2013
The reality is when we take on something new in our lives; a new challenge, a baby, relationship or career move; It is natural to feel overwhelmed at times.

I truly love the time I was blessed to be employed at Dell; I can't begin to explain how much this company and its' members taught me; Not just about Computer Software and Hardware; or the endless sessions on pushing for more and achieving greater things; but what I learned about myself and what I could achieve.

-What I learned? The dell culture taught me to put people first and do everything in my power to help them bring resolution to their problems (this is not always easy to do, but you must persevere).

-A typical day at work? Seriously? There was hardly ever "a typical day at work" (the co-workers) I was with an amazing albeit crazy bunch of people; We worked hard to help our clients and even harder to support each other as well as we could. Endless research to find better ways to do our daily tasks and assist our clients; It wasn't all work no play however; we loved to play and laugh all day and night.

-Management What can I say here; At times all the ideas being rolled over us were frustrating; but over all I give Dell a 5 star top notch rating for constantly working to reform policy and make the profiles more clear and direct from the Top to the Bottom of the organization; This is why in the end, we were able to deliver the best service and solutions to all our clients.

The hardest part of this work came when no matter how hard we strive, there were always the occasional issue we just couldn't solve without
  more... causing to much strain on the client. The reality is; our clients do not have the experience or education we did on the technology they were using; and Dell provided us with Massive resources to do our best. Sometimes there were moments where it wasn't enough; But we always got through it; we Persevered, and in the end we always got the issues resolved and did everything in our power to be our best for our customers.

The most enjoyable part of the job? Easy; The people I grew to love as friends and colleges. We had a very busy hectic environment; there were always many tasks to perform; new courses to learn and constant projects to develop; At times, it was very difficult however we had each others support to no end.

This culture of intensity at Dell helped me learn to grow and become a more educated, experienced, and wise person.

In the end my time with this company taught me to believe in myself completely.

So thank you Dell Canada, I will miss you.
Pros
complete support; no career limits, and a 5star kitchen awe; i miss that deliscious food.
Cons
in the end; i find none. i haven't been able to state that about any other place i have worked
L'environnement de travail était bon et satisfaisant
CONCIERGE (Former Employee) –  Saint-felicien, QCJanuary 22, 2014
Manque de matériel ,mais le Directeur de l'entreprise est un excellent management . le climat de travail était acceptable et les collaborateurs sont très coopérants .
Pros
liberte de travail, assistance
Cons
manque davantages sociaux
Cadre de travail souple
Technicien Help Desk bilingue (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB, CanadaSeptember 8, 2013
Dépannage de clients Dell du Canada au téléphone en tant que L1 (niveau 1). Passage au L2 (niveau 2).