Dell Employee Reviews

Productive and result orientated.
Admin (Former Employee) –  TorontoJanuary 11, 2014
Don't let the informal attire of the employees in this office fool you; they are every bit as professional as you'd expect from a highly competitive tech/communications company. Management sets very high standards for their subordinates, strive for results, and in most cases are not disappointed; Dell hires very high caliber employees. The training is excellent and employees can hold their heads high when it comes to their proficiencies.

Dell strives to keep up to date technologically and their staff enjoys the advantage of using the best software and hardware available. A Dell employee has access to training in just about every area of technology.

Unfortunately, over the past couple of years culture started changing and middle management, junior management, team leads and non-management staff encounter a lot of obstacles such as having to get someone else sigh off on something that should be within their or their manager’s scope of authorization, having to seek authorization for seemingly trivial things and having to explain why something needs to be changed and done in a certain way, and if someone higher up does not agree, tough. This stifles the creativity of staff members and really Dell is loosing out on their insights and ability to make functions work better. This trend started around the same time as the slump in the economy and the frenzied offshoring.

With the reduction in staff in some areas, remaining staff in those departments are overwhelmed with work and put in long hours to keep things running as smoothly as before.

Outsourcing and perhaps more accurately,
  more... offshoring, has also placed a tremendous burden on employees as many times there are communication and cultural barriers that are frustrating for all involved and slow down processes. This is by no means the fault of the people involved; they should be teamed up better. (This was (and still is) unfortunately a very huge complaint from customers that we dealt with and had to placate.)

Pay and benefits are areas where Dell has to improve. Most people stay because of the people and the work which, while in some cases is overwhelming in volume, they do find challenging and satisfying. If salary were the only thing that kept people at Dell, they would not be able to keep the excellent employees that make Dell one of the leaders in its field.

An area where Dell can benefit by improving processes, is customer service. There was a time that Dell's customer service was considered the best across all sectors in North America. Now it's not even in the competition. One way they can do this is by being country specific in their customer service - e.g. North Americans servicing North Americans; British servicing British etc. This will eliminate the language and cultural barriers that both customers and customer services representatives are struggling with.

If you are looking for growth, the opportunity to learn as much as possible in your field and/or technology, want to work with people who are dedicated, smart, friendly and fun to be around, and can live with the cons, then Dell is for you.
Pros
cutting edge technology, concentration of intelligent people makes it a good place to grow, flexible work environment - can telecommute were possible.
Cons
long hours, salaries in some devisions not in keeping with industry norms, instead of promotion, employees are moved to new positions and told it is a lateral move, when in fact it should be a promotion, lack of job security due to outsourcing and offshoring, lack of autonomy in some devisions smother the productivity of others.
Good project
Deployment and Data Migration Technician (Current Employee) –  TorontoSeptember 25, 2013
friendly environment, learn new skills every day, management is very friendly.
Pros
once a week free lunch
lots of work. all day long.
Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  North York, ONSeptember 12, 2013
very casual work atmosphere. friendly co workers.hglhbhb.jkb,m.n.jnbhlvkgtckhjvbnmbhj.n.lhblb.jkbkutv,chgj,kgcgh,hfhjgkcmghjkhjgtghvcgftcmhfjg,futyhk
Pros
company spirit
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  TorontoAugust 21, 2013
Assurance that I as an employee had gainful employment with my work life. Compensation is well above expected.
Flexible working environment
Assistant Marketing Department (Former Employee) –  Dublin, DJuly 17, 2013
Dell management was flexible and friendly, therefore more efficient, a lot of the work could be done from work. Co-workers were happy. Most of the meetings were held via conference call with other Dell divisions in Europe. The hardest part of the job was make customers take time to answer questions. But overal a great working experience.
Productive & useful experience & Career Developement
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ONJune 10, 2013
Given free hand in developing and completing Electronic systems database and inventory for due diligence preparation of Y2K program
within Goulbourn Township.
Pros
co-operation and assistance from all departments
Cons
no assistance from manufacturers of electronic parts or devices
Good atmosphere and good support
Technician on call (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 4, 2013
Long night at phone, getting more training and experience as a DELL computer technician. Whenever you need anything from the job, you can ask your manager who, every week, you will have a one-to-one meeting to discuss your progress and outside that meeting, there will be there to discuss anything related to job you encounter. Regarding Level 2 technicians and co-workers are their to give you support at any free time. In regard to the hardest part of the job when you receive an issue that takes a long time to be solved, or even takes a long time and will be unsolvable. The most enjoyable part is when you have any social activities with co-workers or even small talks.
fast pace work enviroment
Bilingual Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  North York, ONMay 29, 2013
Excellent Company to work for , extremely challenging at times
Pros
excellent team work
Dell is relaxed and FUN
Hardware Support Agent (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 1, 2013
Fun! The management wants you to enjoy your time and your team!
Pros
management lets you have fun fun fun!
Cons
low wage
Employee focused work environment
Contact Centre Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 27, 2013
Business unit lead on Customer Experience and External Problem Resolution metric.
Created a premium support team for key client group.
Typical big company culture
Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJanuary 26, 2013
The best part working here are the people.
You learn from your co-workers
Very Difficult to grow within the company.
Benefits are above average compared to American Companies, BUT below average compared to Canadian companies.
Pros
learn from projects. e-training
Cons
no transit pass, vacation days don't carry over the following year
Dynamic, challenging and invigorating place to work
Customer Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 22, 2013
It was an inbound call centre. Main function was to resolve technical (hardware and software) issues for PCs, Laptop and printers. Each individual case was unique and therefore there was no boredom of repetitious information. There was a constatnt source of learning. I most enjoyed the customer interaction and problem solving.
Pros
learnt about dell hardware, software and about printers.
Cons
late shifts
Great place to work with in a wonderful Team environment.
Hardware Technical Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AlbertaJanuary 12, 2013
Providing remote and phone services for commercial clients in the US and Canada regarding laptops and printers of all kinds.
Pros
great place to work in.
Cons
too bad the company closed in edmonton.
I'm no writer; so bare with me. At first it was overwhelming
Senior Analyst B3 Division Dell on Call (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 11, 2013
The reality is when we take on something new in our lives; a new challenge, a baby, relationship or career move; It is natural to feel overwhelmed at times.

I truly love the time I was blessed to be employed at Dell; I can't begin to explain how much this company and its' members taught me; Not just about Computer Software and Hardware; or the endless sessions on pushing for more and achieving greater things; but what I learned about myself and what I could achieve.

-What I learned? The dell culture taught me to put people first and do everything in my power to help them bring resolution to their problems (this is not always easy to do, but you must persevere).

-A typical day at work? Seriously? There was hardly ever "a typical day at work" (the co-workers) I was with an amazing albeit crazy bunch of people; We worked hard to help our clients and even harder to support each other as well as we could. Endless research to find better ways to do our daily tasks and assist our clients; It wasn't all work no play however; we loved to play and laugh all day and night.

-Management What can I say here; At times all the ideas being rolled over us were frustrating; but over all I give Dell a 5 star top notch rating for constantly working to reform policy and make the profiles more clear and direct from the Top to the Bottom of the organization; This is why in the end, we were able to deliver the best service and solutions to all our clients.

The hardest part of this work came when no matter how hard we strive, there were always the occasional issue we just couldn't solve without
  more... causing to much strain on the client. The reality is; our clients do not have the experience or education we did on the technology they were using; and Dell provided us with Massive resources to do our best. Sometimes there were moments where it wasn't enough; But we always got through it; we Persevered, and in the end we always got the issues resolved and did everything in our power to be our best for our customers.

The most enjoyable part of the job? Easy; The people I grew to love as friends and colleges. We had a very busy hectic environment; there were always many tasks to perform; new courses to learn and constant projects to develop; At times, it was very difficult however we had each others support to no end.

This culture of intensity at Dell helped me learn to grow and become a more educated, experienced, and wise person.

In the end my time with this company taught me to believe in myself completely.

So thank you Dell Canada, I will miss you.
Pros
complete support; no career limits, and a 5star kitchen awe; i miss that deliscious food.
Cons
in the end; i find none. i haven't been able to state that about any other place i have worked
Great work life balance but very little turn over
KACE Outside Account Executive (Current Employee) –  RemoteOctober 18, 2012
Typical day is following up with customers looking for opportunities and customer visits. Best part of the job is the work life balance. Most difficult is the limited opportunity to move up in the organization and managements unwillingness to learn the Canadian business (managed out of the US).

Team at Dell is fantastic! Great people! Lots of talent.
Great co-workers/Lack of Managment competence
Account Manager - Major Public Accounts (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 1, 2012
My job is made much more interesting and fun because of my co-workers and team. Without them, I would have seeked employment elsewhere a long time ago.

Hardest part of my job is having to balance my duties and responsibilites while also completing demands of internal processes

The most enjoyable part of my job are the people I work with and the ability to work from home three days per week which helps in improving work/life balance
Pros
work from home program
Cons
high quotas no resources to achieve your goals
Nearly Outstanding Firm To Work For
Technical Support - L2 (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ONJune 7, 2012
Very professional and fantastic training provided by a great company. Enjoyed being part of a team that was striven to provide customer satisfaction I've never been exposed to previously.
Unfortunately, due to Business Concerns and the value of the US-CDN $, required this outstanding call center to cease.
We were repeatedly advised by upper management that our call center had the best Statistics of any Dell Call Center in the world. It was difficult to understand at the time why Dell would cease operations, but looking back now, It was likely justified.
Nothing but the best can be noted from working here and hope to return to Dell in the future.
Pros
training and people
Cons
duration of employment not expected
Dell On Call
Computer Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 31, 2012
The call times where great and a lot of knowledge that u cant learn from anywhere else was learned with Dell. A typical day in the office was talking to great people on the phones which added a lot to the job. The coworkers and management where excellent still have some friends from Dell. I learned how to navigate and resolve issues quickly and effectively.
Pros
great rotation on shifts, sick leave pay, games room
Cons
software was constantly crashing, had to deal with old operationing systems like windows me, windows 95, 98
Productive and fun place to work
Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, OntarioNovember 30, 2011
Dynamic and ever-changing business, was early stages of Dell in Canada when I worked there so advancement opportunites were plentiful.
Pros
occasional free lunches, provided additional training and seminars, strong benefit package
L'environnement de travail était bon et satisfaisant
CONCIERGE (Former Employee) –  Saint-felicien, QCJanuary 22, 2014
Manque de matériel ,mais le Directeur de l'entreprise est un excellent management . le climat de travail était acceptable et les collaborateurs sont très coopérants .
Pros
liberte de travail, assistance
Cons
manque davantages sociaux