Dell Employee Reviews in Canada

Great Place to work, not all managers are equal
Marketing Sr. Adviser (Former Employee) –  Not DisclosedDecember 13, 2015
Nice place, great compensation and work-life balance. Superb Colleagues, will go out of their way to help. Not all managers are equal. Some are amazing to work with, some just not good enough for the job entrusted to them. Some will protect their non-performing teams and others will throw you to the wolves even if you are doing as much as you can in the circumstances. These bad managers float around different departments for years, promoting their own cohorts and trying to build their own fiefdoms. They are always the reason why I have seen many great workers leave. No one will say it upfront though. No point, you see... They go around and spread the discomfort everywhere.
Pros
Great People, Great benefits, Awesome Growth prospects
Cons
24 x 7 on the job due to the WW nature of the responsibility
Great management support, excellent pay, meritocracy
Tier Two CSR (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 5, 2016
Best thing about working for Dell was the meritocracy culture. If you worked hard and performed well you and your team saw benefits such as prime shifts even if you were all freshly trained. If you sat back and rode your tenure you got the bad shifts.

Typical day at work was answering phones all day. Most calls were straightforward "My internet doesn't work, I have spyware, my X component is broken" but occasional there were challenging calls with unique issues.

Most co-workers got along well with the meritocracy culture. They knew that if they worked hard they would see the benefits and so people pulled together to make it happen.

My manager was excellent. I can't speak for others as I had the same one for my entire time there except right at the end. Probably the most unprofessional manager I've ever had.
Pros
Great pay, great schedule, meritocracy, good managers
Cons
?
If your not into sales avoid
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 23, 2016
This job i can personally can work very well for those who enjoy the sales cultures and, talking with their clients on a day to bases for solutions in the computer world. If you are a curious person and want to try something new i would be careful about applying because it is very fast paced and entitles you to also finish your work on your laptop at home. If you love making deals and so on this is the job for you, but if your someone looking for a different direction and like to go into the office cubical life just be prepared for a fast paced environment and yes dell has an awesome atmosphere among colleagues, but that comes down to your adaptability or suitability to the environment. If you dont work with the culture of dell well then expect a lot of stress from the position. Either then that It is over all a good job for students out of school seeking for work and so on.
Pros
Great Culture among colleagues
Cons
Work comes with you to home, may surprise you for what you signed up for
Great HR department
Learning and Development Analyst (Former Employee) –  Salvador, SKJanuary 11, 2016
Moving into the 21st Century.
Great leadership. Promotes great values and awesome compensation plan

Always looking to move forward
Productivity because the home work
Account Executive Retail (Former Employee) –  SalvadorFebruary 23, 2016
work routine of a seller , serving customers and managing internal staff to meet the demand generated.

pipeline management, business plan development , partner management
Pros
Homework
Cons
bad management
Ethical and People focused Company
Ebusiness Advisor (Current Employee) –  Eldorado do Sul / BrazilJune 1, 2016
Company makes employees feel very nice, providing an ethical environment and high level colleagues. Allows you to create and drive your own career path. Has an open door culture, where you can reach out to Directors and Executives to talk about any topic.
Pros
Career, international experience, intelligent colleagues
Cons
Innovation, closed platforms
Productive and excellent place to work.
Program/Project Management Sr. Advisor (Former Employee) –  North YorkSeptember 16, 2015
Typical day at work: Variety of work everyday
Learned: IT Solutions Hardware and software sales
Management: Great and very supportive
Co-workers: Always willing to help
Pros
Excellent learning place
A good company
Technical Lead (Current Employee) –  Toronto, CanadaJune 17, 2015
Overall a good company to work for as it has great culture and work life balance policy. Dell used to be a public company but now turned into private.
Fast paced and empowerment environment with global team and SME support
Sr. Manager, Americas Logistics (Director Grade) (Former Employee) –  North York, ONNovember 9, 2015
Dell is not for the 9 to 5 employee but it is for those who can work, function and thrive in fast paced work environment where change is always a good thing to bring about.
Pros
Fun yet exciting work environment
Cons
hard to get repalcement associates when someone leaves the company
Great Products poor culture
Outbound->advanced resolution expert (Former Employee) –  Ottawa West, ONOctober 27, 2015
Wonderful products, Some knowledge staff, Great vision and direction

Resolve issues that were not resolvable with the current resources available. Call customer (at a predetermined time)to RESOLVE the issue.Advise and mentor inbound support staff.
Pros
Great product, some very intelligent personell
Cons
Lost company vision
very large company and good public relation
Sales and Finance Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 24, 2015
I am a goal oriented worker with 25 years of experience in IT, with the last 5 years focused on server HP G5-G9 and Virtualization.
Worked with a great team
Data Analyst Specialist / Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Limerick, LKOctober 21, 2014
Coordinated between two teams to perform administrative duties. Worked within a Global team.
Updated time sheets and tracked holiday log.
Attended Global meetings as a representative for our regional office.
Provided an update of projects to management.
Ensured smooth running of the department day to day, delegated when needed.
Great team spirit; camaraderie
Pros
quarterly bonus; benefits;
Cons
long commute
TSR (Former Employee) –  Edmonton AlbertaSeptember 9, 2014
I worked as a technical support rep in the call center. It was great. The management was smart and friendly. Co-workers were fun. There was really only 2 or 3 places to proceed with my career though which was to move to tier 2 support or to move to a different category of troubleshooting like software. I did neither as Dell pulled up roots and left my town. Sad to see them go.
Pros
fun atmosphere, the management was always helpful
Cons
not much choice in moving up the ladder
Great work life balance but very little turn over
KACE Outside Account Executive (Current Employee) –  RemoteOctober 18, 2012
Typical day is following up with customers looking for opportunities and customer visits. Best part of the job is the work life balance. Most difficult is the limited opportunity to move up in the organization and managements unwillingness to learn the Canadian business (managed out of the US).

Team at Dell is fantastic! Great people! Lots of talent.
Nearly Outstanding Firm To Work For
Technical Support - L2 (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ONJune 7, 2012
Very professional and fantastic training provided by a great company. Enjoyed being part of a team that was striven to provide customer satisfaction I've never been exposed to previously.
Unfortunately, due to Business Concerns and the value of the US-CDN $, required this outstanding call center to cease.
We were repeatedly advised by upper management that our call center had the best Statistics of any Dell Call Center in the world. It was difficult to understand at the time why Dell would cease operations, but looking back now, It was likely justified.
Nothing but the best can be noted from working here and hope to return to Dell in the future.
Pros
training and people
Cons
duration of employment not expected
Productive and result orientated.
Admin (Former Employee) –  TorontoJanuary 11, 2014
Don't let the informal attire of the employees in this office fool you; they are every bit as professional as you'd expect from a highly competitive tech/communications company. Management sets very high standards for their subordinates, strive for results, and in most cases are not disappointed; Dell hires very high caliber employees. The training is excellent and employees can hold their heads high when it comes to their proficiencies.

Dell strives to keep up to date technologically and their staff enjoys the advantage of using the best software and hardware available. A Dell employee has access to training in just about every area of technology.

Unfortunately, over the past couple of years culture started changing and middle management, junior management, team leads and non-management staff encounter a lot of obstacles such as having to get someone else sigh off on something that should be within their or their manager’s scope of authorization, having to seek authorization for seemingly trivial things and having to explain why something needs to be changed and done in a certain way, and if someone higher up does not agree, tough. This stifles the creativity of staff members and really Dell is loosing out on their insights and ability to make functions work better. This trend started around the same time as the slump in the economy and the frenzied offshoring.

With the reduction in staff in some areas, remaining staff in those departments are overwhelmed with work and put in long hours to keep things running as smoothly as before.

Outsourcing and perhaps more accurately,
  more... offshoring, has also placed a tremendous burden on employees as many times there are communication and cultural barriers that are frustrating for all involved and slow down processes. This is by no means the fault of the people involved; they should be teamed up better. (This was (and still is) unfortunately a very huge complaint from customers that we dealt with and had to placate.)

Pay and benefits are areas where Dell has to improve. Most people stay because of the people and the work which, while in some cases is overwhelming in volume, they do find challenging and satisfying. If salary were the only thing that kept people at Dell, they would not be able to keep the excellent employees that make Dell one of the leaders in its field.

An area where Dell can benefit by improving processes, is customer service. There was a time that Dell's customer service was considered the best across all sectors in North America. Now it's not even in the competition. One way they can do this is by being country specific in their customer service - e.g. North Americans servicing North Americans; British servicing British etc. This will eliminate the language and cultural barriers that both customers and customer services representatives are struggling with.

If you are looking for growth, the opportunity to learn as much as possible in your field and/or technology, want to work with people who are dedicated, smart, friendly and fun to be around, and can live with the cons, then Dell is for you.
Pros
cutting edge technology, concentration of intelligent people makes it a good place to grow, flexible work environment - can telecommute were possible.
Cons
long hours, salaries in some devisions not in keeping with industry norms, instead of promotion, employees are moved to new positions and told it is a lateral move, when in fact it should be a promotion, lack of job security due to outsourcing and offshoring, lack of autonomy in some devisions smother the productivity of others.
the culture and people i have worked with Dell are one of the best
Sales Support Queue (Former Employee) –  Eastwood City Cyberpark, Libis, QCJune 29, 2013
A typical day at work will be opening our outlook for emails from customers, responses regarding inquiries, emails from different departments. I learned a lot at Dell. I also learned to develop my patience, understanding and humility. The management was okay, but my co-workers are great. The hardest part of the job is to tell the customer that you cannot really assist them even if you wanted to because the request is already a dead end. One of the most enjoyable part of the job, is the beginning of the month where we receive our meal cards for the month.
Pros
meal card every month, internet access
Cons
unpaid ots.
Great co-workers/Lack of Managment competence
Account Manager - Major Public Accounts (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 1, 2012
My job is made much more interesting and fun because of my co-workers and team. Without them, I would have seeked employment elsewhere a long time ago.

Hardest part of my job is having to balance my duties and responsibilites while also completing demands of internal processes

The most enjoyable part of my job are the people I work with and the ability to work from home three days per week which helps in improving work/life balance
Pros
work from home program
Cons
high quotas no resources to achieve your goals
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  TorontoAugust 21, 2013
Assurance that I as an employee had gainful employment with my work life. Compensation is well above expected.
Dynamic and Fun place to work
Inside sales (Former Employee) –  North York, ONMarch 24, 2014
I would come in, say hi to my co-workers, set up my laptop, sign in to all my applications and programs. I learned different software and hardware products and protocols.
management was great and co-workers are easy to get along with.
job was not hard or difficult but new challenges would come up regarding different departments and it was exciting learning new things. every day was company lunch and it was great to sit down with the staff and eat and converse.
Pros
free food, company perks
Cons
no security with sales