Delcan Corporation Employee Reviews in Canada

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
Stressful work environment in Water Resources group
Senior Water Resources Engineer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, Ontario, CanadaJune 17, 2015
Management was quite vague as to their expectations. Was hired as a senior water resources engineer but utilized more like a junior staff member. Manager to whom I reported was not very communicative and had an uncomfortable tendency to "hover" and look over my shoulder a lot while I was working. He did not seem to want to let go of things and just hand them over to me to allow me to apply my extensive experience and expertise to getting the projects done. It was overall, a very frustrating work environment and experience while there.

On paper this should have been my "dream job", but turned out to be the exact opposite. While there, Delcan merged with the Parsons Group of Companies (a much larger, international engineering firm) which only seemed to add to the confusion. Imminent performance reviews at which I would have discussed my concerns kept being rescheduled and never actually took place before my time there came to an end. Noticed a lot of "grumbling" amongst staff after the merger. A lot of cynicism was expressed.

Many of my co-workers were very pleasant to work with, and I did manage to learn several new modeling tools/techniques while there, but overall did not enjoy my time there very much.
Pros
Some very pleasant co-workers
Cons
Management expectations vague (at least in Water Resources group), stressful work environment
A first hand experience of a work enviornment.
Student (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCMarch 29, 2015
It was simply working at one to two hours per week, so it was slow but nice. It was a nice experience but mainly it was still schoolwork.