FOOD SCIENTIST / MANAGEMENT OF PURCHASING
DeeBee's SpecialTea Foods Ltd., manufacturer of the world's FIRST organic tea-based popsicle, is hiring! Located in beautiful Victoria, British Columbia, we are seeking a food scientist to assist us with product development development & packaging needs, quality control and management of purchasing.
- Researches, recommends and executes new innovative concepts, ingredients, delivery formats to develop new and improve existing Corporate Brands products
- Plans, coordinates and conducts all sensory and physical evaluations of potential new products required for product approval before commercialization to ensure all products meet the desired attributes and quality standards consistent to market, corporate and regulatory needs.
- Reviews and approves or develops product instructional and/or preparation copy for Corporate Brand
- Creates and ensures accuracy of packaging product copy inclusive of marketing attributes, product information, and product claims.
- Researches, recommends and implements improvements to the attributes, quality, cost competitiveness, and safety of existing Corporate Brand products to continually improve Corporate Brand product
- provides scientific technological and strategic advice on the application and interpretation of Health Canada GMP legislation, policies, and research
- identify, and implement new practices to reduce costs and improve quality
- provides recommendations on GMP compliance, product quality and quality assurance (QA) activities
- preparation for internal quality audits and preparing for, participating in and managing of external or health regulatory authorities’ inspections
- training personnel regarding QA systems, GMP guidance and other applicable Acts and Regulations.
- liaising with internal and external groups (i.e. health regulatory authorities, product manufacturers and/or contractors).
- Maintains and keeps the quality and food safety documentation up to date at plant level.
- Oversees to ensure the production team follows proper professional department protocol as established by the division and maintains a clean and presentable facility on a daily basis
- Assists in keeping certifications current: USDA, NON-GMO, Vegan, Kosher
- plans purchasing and inventory management
- Continually sources ingredient suppliers to lower cost of production.
- -Works with the production team to develop forecasts for ordering and ensure sell-through of overstocked items.
- -Successfully manages vendor relationships and creates harmonious partnerships with suppliers.
- -Remains abreast of the latest industry trends affecting the supply and demand of products.
- -Buys to support profit and sales objectives.
OTHER / MISCALENIOUS TASKS
- Writes grant applications and plan project budget.
Provides written project update reports to stakeholders and participate and contribute to the annual reporting activity for funder.
This position requires a demonstrated level of initiative and judgment in order to organize and prioritize tasks, workload and projects. Courtesy, tact and diplomacy are required in dealing with colleagues in every day working relationships.
- Performs daily sensory evaluation on a diverse range of food products including seafood (shellfish), meat, baked goods, dairy and confection.
- Requires specialized interpersonal skills to resolve situations with colleagues where there may be some level of conflict, stress or uncertainty.
- Provides solutions by using imaginative approaches where constructive thinking and innovation are required.
- Utilizes decision making skills to achieve specific organizational objectives with consideration given to their impact on other work groups.
- Adaptable to set and prioritize work with varying exceptions. Able to work with diverse personalities and styles.
- Advanced understanding and knowledge of product formulations, manufacturing, packaging and testing applications.
- Solid working knowledge of applicable government regulations.
- Computer skills to produce effective reports, documents, spreadsheets and presentations.
- Communicates with clarity, verbally and in one on one or group situations, or over the telephone.
- Communicates well in writing by composing clear documents; facility with editing and/or proof-reading is required.
Indeed - 12 months ago
copy to clipboard