DAVIDsTEA Employee Reviews for Tea Guide

Fun and fresh place to work
Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON23 August 2017
The typical day focused on the customer and their needs. The customers were almost always awesome and excited to be in the store. Management was generally really understanding and they wanted everyone to enjoy working there.
I love my job
Tea Guide (Current Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON17 July 2017
It's always exciting to come to work and I love the atmosphere. I've learned a lot about working as a team and delivering effective customer service to ensure each customer leaves smiling. It's enjoyable when customers enter the store with a minimal knowledge of tea and leave the store bursting with knowledge and excitement over their new teas.
Pros
Amazing atmosphere
Cons
Haven't found one yet
Amazing Workplace and Friendly Environment
Tea Guide (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 June 2017
A typical day at work consists of getting a quick run down of current promotions that are happening in-store including sales, events, as so forth; then getting into your assigned positions for the day. Working for DAVIDsTEA has taught me how to push sales and be a strong presence on the floor as well as what steps to take in order to assist a customer. Along with sales, the store has taught me how to work well within a team environment and what it means to be a team player. Helping each other succeed will only result in positive outcomes for the team as a whole as well as us as individuals. Management is amazing and very tailored to fit each employee's personal needs.
Fantastic place to work with excellent management and lots of room for growth.
Tea Guide (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC24 June 2017
Depending on the store it can be very busy, you should be able to multitask while working. Lot's of coaching done to helo you grow as an employee. Hours are very flexible and they are always taking into account any other life responsibilities such as school. It's really an amazing and fun place to work. There's never a dull moment.
Pros
Amazing environment with an awesome team.
Cons
You have to call in day of if you have an on call which can be a hassle if you have to take transit.
Environnement motivant
Tea Guide (Current Employee) –  Mirabel, QC22 May 2017
Ambiance agréable et esprit d'équipe très puissant. Le fait de travailler avec des objectifs et des résultats à atteindre est très motivant.
Pros
Excellent rabais employé
Cons
Pause seulement accordée après 5h30
Cheery and bright company with yummy teas
Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 May 2017
I loved learning about tea in such depth. The manager I had was amazing but the assistant managers were often a bit unprofessional. Everyone is expected to be super cheery, upbeat, and friendly all the time. Super focused on customer service. Also pretty focused on retail sales- selling hard goods and loose tea. There is opportunity to make drinks for customers, but not nearly as much as you would get in a regular cafe. The customer base is pretty loyal. There's always a few regulars and DT customers are usually pretty friendly. There was often a lot of pressure to always be upping our sales and you might have to sample a lot. Great HR team though- lots of effective anti-bullying and anti-harassment policies in place.
Pros
Unlimited tea during your shifts
Cons
Can get repetitive and boring, like most retail jobs
Fun place but expect a lot from staff
Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 May 2017
Fun place but expect a lot from staff, the pay is very low but good advancement within the company. The company has given me a lot of experience and an insight into management.
Fun job, shifty management
Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 March 2017
I worked there for nearly a year, putting up with a lot from a TERRIBLE manager who was WAY too stressed out because her managers were just as awful to her. Most of the reviews say this, but I can't stress it enough. The management is terrible here.

The job itself is so fun! Tea is delicious and when you get to have a good relationship with your customer (which only really happens when it's not busy), the conversation really makes the job worth it!

The company itself, however, still sketches me out. I had to often count my own hours to make sure I was being paid enough, was often asked to stay longer than the company would pay me for (quick tip, NEVER stay late unless you're getting paid to do it in retail), and when I quit I had to jump through hoops to get my vacation payout before I left. Now that I've nearly been gone a year I'm STILL jumping through hoops to try and get my last T4 from them which is honestly unacceptable.

I do miss my coworkers and the actual job, but I would never work for this company again.
Pros
fun job content, great coworkers
Cons
terrible company organization, bare minimum breaks, bad management
Productive and fun workplace
Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 March 2017
DAVIDsTEA provides a very fun, happy atmosphere that values inter-personal skills and self-management.

The company provides in-depth, paid training so now prior tea knowledge is required.
Pros
Free tea while on shift
Cons
Management is not always effective
Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 February 2017
Such a great place to work I loved all the staff and the DavidsTea community. Unfortunately I had a job opportunity come up that I couldn't turn down and I had to leave DavidsTea.
Free tea and great discounts
Tea Guide (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON16 December 2016
Quite a bit has changed since I first started working with the company. They went from privately owned to public which meant lots of rules changed and lots of management turnover.
Pros
FREE tea on shift & great discounts on tea and merchandise
Cons
high turnover of management
Fun company, but that's about it
Tea Guide (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 December 2016
When you first start this job, you think that's it going to be amazing with all this great training.
Then you get on the floor and realize that you're not actually trying to educate people and get to know them, you're pushing to sell them a product. I mean, really pushing. The sales tactics were almost forceful, leaving me and other Tea Guides uncomfortable at how we were supposed to approach customers.
Management is also fairly useless, with schedules given out only 3 days in advance and rarely around to enforce seemingly arbitrary policies they have invented. Between that and constantly leaving early or just not being present for important shipments or merchandise changes, the rest of the staff is left doing all the grunt work.
The only thing that saves this job is my fellow coworkers. They manage to hire some of the most amazing people to work with, but they are soon left disenchanted with the job because the amount of undue stress that is placed onto part-time employees.
They try to "build people up" by criticizing every aspect of your job performance and by strongly encouraging you to follow a flow-chart style script that turns you into the world's lamest actor.
Pros
Free tea, good discount on products, flexible hours, amazing coworkers
Cons
Poor management, nonsensical scheduling, pushy sales tactics, low wages, no room for advancement
Amazing place with amazing people
Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON22 August 2016
A typical day at DAVIDsTEA includes introducing customers to new and exciting teas, and telling them about the newest products. You get to know a lot about tea and how its made and different peoples' preferences.

The management team is amazing and super understanding, and the other Tea Guides are just incredibly friendly. There is never a dull day at work.
Pros
Free tea, amazing benefits
Cons
There are no cons.
Fun workplace, very friendly co-workers
Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 February 2016
fun
positive
energetic
productive
enjoyed the good atmosphere
enjoyed learning new things
managers made everyone very comfortable and feel like a family
Brand Merchandising
Tea Guide (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 January 2016
While working at Winners, I learned how to properly merchandise product. I worked with many different brands at Winners and used my merchandising skills to execute product placement in order to properly showcase these brands in the best way possible for customers.
Fun and friendly work environment
Tea Guide (Current Employee) –  Waterloo13 July 2015
I truly enjoy being a part of the wonderful DavidsTea company. I have met many great people and we work hard everyday to deliver the highest quality of customer service and to positively and effectively educate all customers on the world of tea and our company.
Fast paced development oriented positive atmosphere
Tea Guide (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 July 2015
The product is fun and the customers are generally easy going.
You get to drink a lot of high quality teas and there is a lot of opportunity for self development. You are given a lot of permission to make decisions. It's still a really small company, so you are able to easily reach out to levels of upper management and head office and they encourage you to do so.

Not a ton of management development, but large expectations. The company is not unified on their management and leadership style, so your experience as an employee really varies depending on which store you are working at and under which manager.
Recently switched from being really experience focused, to integrating a sales focus into the experience, and the older staff members had a more difficult time with this transition, while newer staff members get excellent training and expectations really easily laid out.
Pros
Great discount, Great new training program, Great product, Easy Communication style
Cons
Overworked and Underpaid (typical of retail), high expectations with not as thorough training for management.
Fun workplace with amazing customers
Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON6 July 2015
I loved going to work knowing that I would be helping customers, however, the assistant store manager at my location was absolutely horrible and would always talk about other employees, and was very discriminatory. I had amazing coworkers. The most enjoyable part was getting to drink unlimited tea while at work, and the 50% staff discount was incredible.
Pros
Unlimited Tea while at work
Cons
Some managers and coworkers are pretentious
Decent pay, easy job, too high of expectations
Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  vancouver22 May 2014
pros
-good discount for part time staff
-generally easy tasks
-decent pay wage

cons
-too high expectations
-takes a lot of energy out of you during your shift to always be smiling and chipper towards your customers
-management plays favourites
Make me a Manager!
Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC16 April 2014
I absolutely loved working for DAVIDsTEA! The corporate culture is amazing; they are easy-going but not unprofessional and you can expect lots of encouragement all along the way. In fact, I will gladly return as soon as they offer me a store management position.
Pros
Free tea, the best people, inclusive dress code policy, encouraging corporate environment
Cons
Better bring good shoes