DAVIDsTEA Employee Reviews for Retail Assistant Manager

See reviews about:
Great Place to work, always a positive environment to be in.
Key Holder/Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS14 November 2017
Great Place to work, always a positive environment to be in. Management in certain stores can be very condescending however that depends on the manager at the time.
Awesome
Tea guide/ key holder (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB7 July 2017
Davids is the best place to be, It always smells good, you drink tea all day so you're super hydrated. Your customers are always nice because who gets mad over flavoured water and the staff are the most pleasant and hilarious people you'll meet anywhere.
Very fun, great team, just felt let down
Key Holder / Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB12 January 2017
Learned a ton at DavidsTea, especially about coaching and putting my team ahead of me. Expectations are really high and sometimes wage doesn't quite match those. Left because I felt betrayed. Was promised raise when manager left on mat leave until replacement was found but then 2 weeks later was told I was not getting one, while already underpaid. Felt I had to leave. A shame.
Pros
Big employee discount
Cons
Regular but late hours
Enjoyable place to work
Part-Time Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON17 August 2016
-great staff to work with
-fun and casual environment
-slightly over staffed/ not enough hours
-good experience overall
A negative experience overall.
Key Holder/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS17 May 2016
I was hired on as a Key Holder right before the Christmas rush. Initially I was extremely excited to work with this company because it seemed so positive and upbeat. I learned a lot about teas and how they're made, and the customers were extremely pleasant compared to my past two years of experience at Starbucks.

But it went downhill fast. I quickly realized that there was no in-store training. I was placed on the floor with the expectation to use my online training right away, without being able to see or practice it in the store.
The company seemed to evolve from a welcoming and positive environment to a pushy and sales-driven organization. Customers were constantly annoyed by these tactics they had us use, and it made the experience that much more negative. They had one tactic where you were told to "multi-serve". This basically means to try and serve as many customers at once; which left many feeling ignored or forgotten about.
The management was extremely disorganized; I was taught all my responsibilities quickly in between the rushes of customers and the multiple cleaning and store maintenance tasks that had to be completed throughout the day. This made it extremely difficult to fully understand what was going on, and I constantly found myself confused and flustered because of this.
Most of the other staff members were extremely unfriendly and unhelpful when I had questions. It made for a very tense and uncomfortable work environment. (There were some helpful staff members, but they were few and far between) This may have been due to the fact that we were constantly
  more... understaffed, and there were many new seasonal staff members that were also learning their roles.
My first shift alone as the supervisor was a closing shift, and I also had the responsibility of changing the merchandise and signage that night. I had never done this before, so they paired me with a seasonal team member who also had know idea what to do. I was given a quick run through earlier, but none of the other management team members were willing to stick around to help out. We were so understaffed that evening, and that made for one heck of a night.
The irresponsibility and disregard in this workplace was so astounding to me. I have had many different experiences in many different workplaces and this one was by far the worst. I would never recommend this job to anyone!
Pros
Discount, Free Tea, A good way to learn about teas and how they're made.
Cons
Everything else. Terrible management, extremely unorganized, pushy sales environment, negative team members, minimal training, understaffed
Fun, structured work environment.
Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB11 May 2016
A structured job environment while still having interesting and fun qualities about it. The staff and upper management really care about there employees and are easy to access when needed.

A typical day on the job could be anything from unloading shipments to creating drink orders or even attending events around the city to serve tea samples.

The co-workers were all very friendly and make the work day fun. The company really looks for people who can work in a professional environment while still have an interesting personality.

You learn tons about tea and the culture. It's very interesting and really helps with packaging the tea.
Pros
Drinking free tea.
So much fun!!
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 April 2016
Great customer service based company! They made me into a frequent steeper and gave me the chance to learn about teamwork and tea!
Enjoyable and enthusiastic einvironment, by far the best job I've ever had.
Tea Guide/Keyholder (Current Employee) –  Halifax, Ns4 February 2015
On an average day, we spend 85% of the time with customers, and the rest of the time we are cleaning or doing inventory. This job has taught me invaluable lessons about teamwork and efficiency. My group of co workers operate as a strong team; we always have each other's backs and are there to help without needing to be asked. The best part of the job is getting to know our regular customers and meeting the new ones.
Pros
Great environment, lots of learning opportunities
Cons
No hours
Great Company with terrible managers
Keyholder/Tea guide (Former Employee) –  Edmonton,Ab13 May 2014
You don't quit a job, you quit your manager and thats exactly what I did when I left my job at davidsteas even though I loved it. Advancement in the company was constantly sabotaged by my managers, and even though I was a dedicated 30 hr +/week employee with the company for over a year I received NO benefits... only my manger got those. Overall, DT IS a fun place to work, if you're a student who isn't looking to make it your career. They need to take better care of the people they hire and NOT just management.