DAVIDsTEA Employee Reviews

I love my job
Tea Guide (Current Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON17 July 2017
It's always exciting to come to work and I love the atmosphere. I've learned a lot about working as a team and delivering effective customer service to ensure each customer leaves smiling. It's enjoyable when customers enter the store with a minimal knowledge of tea and leave the store bursting with knowledge and excitement over their new teas.
Pros
Amazing atmosphere
Cons
Haven't found one yet
Awesome
Tea guide/ key holder (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB7 July 2017
Davids is the best place to be, It always smells good, you drink tea all day so you're super hydrated. Your customers are always nice because who gets mad over flavoured water and the staff are the most pleasant and hilarious people you'll meet anywhere.
Amazing Workplace and Friendly Environment
Tea Guide (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 June 2017
A typical day at work consists of getting a quick run down of current promotions that are happening in-store including sales, events, as so forth; then getting into your assigned positions for the day. Working for DAVIDsTEA has taught me how to push sales and be a strong presence on the floor as well as what steps to take in order to assist a customer. Along with sales, the store has taught me how to work well within a team environment and what it means to be a team player. Helping each other succeed will only result in positive outcomes for the team as a whole as well as us as individuals. Management is amazing and very tailored to fit each employee's personal needs.
Fantastic place to work with excellent management and lots of room for growth.
Tea Guide (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC24 June 2017
Depending on the store it can be very busy, you should be able to multitask while working. Lot's of coaching done to helo you grow as an employee. Hours are very flexible and they are always taking into account any other life responsibilities such as school. It's really an amazing and fun place to work. There's never a dull moment.
Pros
Amazing environment with an awesome team.
Cons
You have to call in day of if you have an on call which can be a hassle if you have to take transit.
Fun and Challenging work place
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS6 June 2017
DAVIDsTEA is all about growing their employees. Always room for development and advancement if you're determined and a great self-starter. Great company values and culture!
Pros
Free Tea, on the job training, organized
Environnement motivant
Tea Guide (Current Employee) –  Mirabel, QC22 May 2017
Ambiance agréable et esprit d'équipe très puissant. Le fait de travailler avec des objectifs et des résultats à atteindre est très motivant.
Pros
Excellent rabais employé
Cons
Pause seulement accordée après 5h30
Cheery and bright company with yummy teas
Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 May 2017
I loved learning about tea in such depth. The manager I had was amazing but the assistant managers were often a bit unprofessional. Everyone is expected to be super cheery, upbeat, and friendly all the time. Super focused on customer service. Also pretty focused on retail sales- selling hard goods and loose tea. There is opportunity to make drinks for customers, but not nearly as much as you would get in a regular cafe. The customer base is pretty loyal. There's always a few regulars and DT customers are usually pretty friendly. There was often a lot of pressure to always be upping our sales and you might have to sample a lot. Great HR team though- lots of effective anti-bullying and anti-harassment policies in place.
Pros
Unlimited tea during your shifts
Cons
Can get repetitive and boring, like most retail jobs
Engaging, caring and fresh place to work.
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 May 2017
You get to infuse peoples lives with joy. Work with lots of great products, and sip delicious tea while you work. Believe me, you will work hard. Its not that easy selling people tea.
Don't care about employees
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC5 May 2017
Worked in their distribution centre/packaging facility. Most workers are temporary, many working for years without actually being hired by the company. Pay is poor. Management is deaf to concerns and problems of employees. Years of hard work and loyalty go unrewarded. Facility is dirty and hot with rodents and equipment is sub-standard. Morale is generally low despite good coworkers. Company culture seems to consist of taking advantage of people.
Pros
You may make some friends.
Cons
You'll feel used and unappreciated
Fun place but expect a lot from staff
Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 May 2017
Fun place but expect a lot from staff, the pay is very low but good advancement within the company. The company has given me a lot of experience and an insight into management.
If you dont speak French Dont Join
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto Ontario23 April 2017
Fun working environment, however if you are not fully bilingual in French you will not grow with this company.

Great perks, free tea, engaging fun store environment, but disappointing growth opportunities
Fun job, shifty management
Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 March 2017
I worked there for nearly a year, putting up with a lot from a TERRIBLE manager who was WAY too stressed out because her managers were just as awful to her. Most of the reviews say this, but I can't stress it enough. The management is terrible here.

The job itself is so fun! Tea is delicious and when you get to have a good relationship with your customer (which only really happens when it's not busy), the conversation really makes the job worth it!

The company itself, however, still sketches me out. I had to often count my own hours to make sure I was being paid enough, was often asked to stay longer than the company would pay me for (quick tip, NEVER stay late unless you're getting paid to do it in retail), and when I quit I had to jump through hoops to get my vacation payout before I left. Now that I've nearly been gone a year I'm STILL jumping through hoops to try and get my last T4 from them which is honestly unacceptable.

I do miss my coworkers and the actual job, but I would never work for this company again.
Pros
fun job content, great coworkers
Cons
terrible company organization, bare minimum breaks, bad management
not appropriate workplace
Packer (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC15 March 2017
the most enjoyable part of the job was that it was a team work and I learned about packing and some tea flavors. But the workplace was too hot and there was no air conditioning. Also we had to stand on foot for hours, which was somehow challenging.
Productive and fun workplace
Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 March 2017
DAVIDsTEA provides a very fun, happy atmosphere that values inter-personal skills and self-management.

The company provides in-depth, paid training so now prior tea knowledge is required.
Pros
Free tea while on shift
Cons
Management is not always effective
environnement de travail
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC8 March 2017
Tres bon environnement de travail, car ma boutique était dans l'hopital juif,je devais ouvrir la boutique a 7h donc etre la chaque matin a 6h, jai beaucoup plus appris sur le coaching.
Cons
pas de pause et pas de soutien de mes superieurs
Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 February 2017
Such a great place to work I loved all the staff and the DavidsTea community. Unfortunately I had a job opportunity come up that I couldn't turn down and I had to leave DavidsTea.
Not what it used to be
Manager (Former Employee) –  Canada31 January 2017
Davidstea works hard to sell candidates on culture of the company, despite that the culture has dwindled to next to nothing over the last year. Changes in head office management and region management have been significant and turnover is increasing, store managers are under a lot of pressure and it trickles down to all staff. Customer service is not the focus anymore, just sales and targets.
Pros
50% discount, good coworkers.
Cons
No Work life balance, no motivation, aggressive regional managers, way too stressful for a retail job.
Very fun, great team, just felt let down
Key Holder / Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB12 January 2017
Learned a ton at DavidsTea, especially about coaching and putting my team ahead of me. Expectations are really high and sometimes wage doesn't quite match those. Left because I felt betrayed. Was promised raise when manager left on mat leave until replacement was found but then 2 weeks later was told I was not getting one, while already underpaid. Felt I had to leave. A shame.
Pros
Big employee discount
Cons
Regular but late hours
Gotta fit the scene
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ON22 December 2016
Awful!!! The training was a waste of time, they talked about the company and where/ why it came to be but no actual training on how to deal with customers, approach customers properly or in general how to interact.

Very pushy in sales and the greeting you musttttt all say hello when someone walks in and start off your speech about if they have ever been to the store before even if you kinda guess the customer is not into you helping them....

If you left them alone it was a huge no no (stupid i know)

Worst of all unless u were buddies with the manager, they would ignore the heck out of you and looked at you like you were stupid when you didnt have the same "hobbies"
Pros
Free 1 tea on shift, store smells good
Cons
Everything else
Free tea and great discounts
Tea Guide (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON16 December 2016
Quite a bit has changed since I first started working with the company. They went from privately owned to public which meant lots of rules changed and lots of management turnover.
Pros
FREE tea on shift & great discounts on tea and merchandise
Cons
high turnover of management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DAVIDsTEA. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9