DAVIDsTEA Employee Reviews

Davids tea
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 January 2018
I had an amazing time working there with professional and supportive staff. I learned team building skills, through great management and I learned so much about tea! The hardest part of working there was that there wasn't enough hours but if you had to call in sick, they were ready to help you get your shift covered right away!
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Not enough hours
Great people, not so great hours
Seasonal Employee (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 January 2018
A pretty fun and relaxed job for the most part. Can be faster paced during peak hours when stock is running low, and things are required to be restocked.

The free tea is great. Only real complaint was the hours, and how few were offered.
Pros
free tea, great and fun people to work with, Great discount for staff
Cons
poor hours
Decent
Barista/cashier (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC25 January 2018
I loved working there due to the team. But the manager at the time was awful and really rude, which is why I left. It was a fun learning experience. Customers are always happy leaving with a nice cup of tea.
Dynamic work ennironment
HR Manager, Head Office & Distribution Centre (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC20 January 2018
Dynamic work environment. Incredibly talented, passionate, and intelligent team. Lots of learning opportunities and exposure to interesting and challenging projects.
DavidsTea is where it's at
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 January 2018
I was hired to be a seasonal tea guide and I loved every single shift. Not only are the staff extremely supportive and kind, but so are a majority of their costumers. We maybe got 1 or 2 cranky or overwhelmed costumers but they weren't awful.

You learn lots about the different types of tea and the products (which are super cool). I also learned that DavidsTea is very pun-friendly (you will learn this when you start training) and they definitely encourage it!

The manager was really awesome and understanding. Unfortunately they over hired staff due to thinking there would be more business, so there was some issues with scheduling and shifts that I had, but I don't think this effects the rest of the year.

There was never a shift where I come in in a bad mood and was still in a bad mood after work. The atmosphere is so positive and welcoming. It's very organized and they place everything perfectly so that it doesn't look messy and items are easy to grab. They do not hire on looks, just attitude. I had no experience with any of their tea or products before I was hired and they were 100% okay with that fact.

Hardest part of the job was remembering tea names and what their ingredients are, as well as how their items functioned. It's not a must that you know everything about their products before you start working there, but it does definitely help and will make your life easier. Don't stress about this too much, the staff is there to help you whenever they can. It's better to ask questions, instead of guessing and being wrong.

There were so many things that were
  more... enjoyable about the job. The location that I was at was so amazing to work at. Unfortunately this is not the case for all of the stores but I do encourage you to apply and try it out!  less
Pros
Awesome discount
Cons
Not enough shifts avaliable sometimes (for seasonals)
Few hours per week and some rude staff
Seasonal Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC14 January 2018
Work schedule is a problem. They change the team hours and shifts every week, sometimes they cut hours and shifts just one hour before your shift begins, in the same day. Seasonal employees have few working hours, sometimes just 3 hours per week. Some employees are rude and demand tasks that are not part of your job description, with no previous training. Poor communication among the team and lack of management. But apart from that, the work is pleasant because the customers are great!
Pros
Employee discount, free teas, great customers
Cons
Few hours per week, lack of management, some rude colleagues
Fun work, unprofessional staff
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 January 2018
As a Seasonal hire, I was given few shifts and my manager rarely communicated with me. I enjoyed the work, which was mainly sampling, sales floor, and cash. They scheduled me for three to four hour shifts so I only ever had two breaks in my three months working there. I was not contacted to get my training date and when I mentioned to my manager I couldn't work one Saturday because of an exam, I was removed from all Saturday shifts. I wasn't informed of the end of my contract and wasn't given any shifts during that week either. The site they use to coordinate shifts is a little broken too. Loved the work, hated the lack of organization.
Pros
wonderful people and lots of fun
Cons
unprofessional and disorganized
Davidstea
QC H4P 1S1 (Former Employee) –  Mont-royal, QC9 January 2018
Not a bad job when you really need to work to pay your bills but i dont recommend this job if you are not patient, because everything is disorganized.
It is a fun and organized workplace I am happy to be a part of. Everyone is easy going while at the same time organized and friendly
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 December 2017
There are many different task I get to try here such as working the sales floor, making tea, matcha and lattes. I also get to handle stock and restocking.
Pros
Discount, working with people, free tea on the job!
Cons
I would like more hours
Decent.
Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  BC12 December 2017
LOVE the cultures and philosophies behind this company, very fun setup in the stores with bright colours and designs. Met some really nice people

Enjoying this job really depends on the location. In my area, many of the locations had incompetent managers that were extremely lazy. They didn't know how to do their jobs properly or would take advantage of low positioned employees so they could do less work. District managers were no better, had no knowledge of what it was like working in the store #embarrassing. If you were working a closing shift, they expected you to clean the store until it was spotless. The closing checklist had about 20+ items. If it wasn't done, you would get written up or talked to about how to clean.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Lazy, incompetent managers. Low wages. High expectations for not enough money.
Fun retail job
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC2 December 2017
One of the better retail jobs out there. They do ask a lot of you and they dont compensate you enough but the environment and company culture is pretty fun
Great Place to work, always a positive environment to be in.
Key Holder/Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS14 November 2017
Great Place to work, always a positive environment to be in. Management in certain stores can be very condescending however that depends on the manager at the time.
Seasonal Job
Seasonal Employee (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB7 November 2017
I was just a seasonal worker at David's Tea, and did not enjoy my time. I felt like myself, and other seasonal workers were under appreciated. I was often not called in because I was not needed. My manager was nice and let me leave work early due to road conditions which was nice. The only good part about the job was the discount.
Not the same
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 October 2017
This company has changed over the years and not for the better. It is completely a sales driven company now. There is little to no culture around the tea anymore. There is absolutely no advancement in the company. All district managers are external hires and 1 store manager has been promoted to a District Manager in the last 5-6 years. They wonder why they don't do well anymore, its because of the disconnect between store level and upper management. No one who works in upper level management has ever worked in a store so they don't actually understand the business.
Hated this job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Montreal, QC14 October 2017
Honestly the worst place i've ever worked at. New employees were treated like dirt and the things they put you threw is not worth the minimum wage. Also very exhausting
Pros
Free tea
Cons
Everything else
management change made everything worse
Keyholder (Former Employee) –  London, ON11 October 2017
the new manager hated me because my fiancée was her ex boyfriend and she wanted him back. she also didnt like my positive outlook on everything, and constantly belittled me, and would not hold herself accountable for actions she was caught doing.
Pros
50% off tea
Cons
No job advancement
Energetic upbeat atmosphere
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC7 October 2017
Learned a lot about tea and various ingredients and the health benefits and growing processes. Can be difficult if not a cohesive team who works together as one unit. Some employees can be messy and not clean up after themselves leaving the burden to others. Emphasis on sales is strong so if not comfortable selling it will be difficult. Storage for the amount of inventory carried can be difficult. Overall the environment and company culture is positive and inclusive. You feel free to really be yourself without fear of ridicule which is awesome.
Pros
Inclusive environment
Cons
Can be hard cleaning up after messy coworkers
Mostly happy team, with hard workers
Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC22 September 2017
Some employees are very rude but for the most part they do their work as they should, some taking their time as they go. Majority of the staff are happy and kind. When the shift is over, you leave right away. there is no staying to finish, 10 minutes before the end, everyone puts away their teas, washes their bins and scoops, sweeps, etc.
Pros
Tea bar; a large variety of teas and you may drink as much as you like on your breaks.
Cons
Salary and hours are a little low.
It was subpar
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Guildford, BC20 September 2017
The company stands for a lot of really great things! It's just gotten so pushy over the years that I have to announce I was a former employee just to get them to stop trying to sell me things...
Pros
Free tea
Cons
Not reliable, terrible hours even for management, annoyingly pushy sales tactics that don't ever work
Great retail job
Service Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ON12 September 2017
The work environment is very positive and the clientele is also very friendly. My manager was very supportive and well trained and if anything happened in the store I felt ready to handle it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DAVIDsTEA. Our community is ready to answer.