DAVIDsTEA Employee Reviews

not appropriate workplace
Packer (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC15 March 2017
the most enjoyable part of the job was that it was a team work and I learned about packing and some tea flavors. But the workplace was too hot and there was no air conditioning. Also we had to stand on foot for hours, which was somehow challenging.
Productive and fun workplace
Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 March 2017
DAVIDsTEA provides a very fun, happy atmosphere that values inter-personal skills and self-management.

The company provides in-depth, paid training so now prior tea knowledge is required.
Pros
Free tea while on shift
Cons
Management is not always effective
Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 February 2017
Such a great place to work I loved all the staff and the DavidsTea community. Unfortunately I had a job opportunity come up that I couldn't turn down and I had to leave DavidsTea.
Not what it used to be
Manager (Former Employee) –  Canada31 January 2017
Davidstea works hard to sell candidates on culture of the company, despite that the culture has dwindled to next to nothing over the last year. Changes in head office management and region management have been significant and turnover is increasing, store managers are under a lot of pressure and it trickles down to all staff. Customer service is not the focus anymore, just sales and targets.
Pros
50% discount, good coworkers.
Cons
No Work life balance, no motivation, aggressive regional managers, way too stressful for a retail job.
Gotta fit the scene
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ON22 December 2016
Awful!!! The training was a waste of time, they talked about the company and where/ why it came to be but no actual training on how to deal with customers, approach customers properly or in general how to interact.

Very pushy in sales and the greeting you musttttt all say hello when someone walks in and start off your speech about if they have ever been to the store before even if you kinda guess the customer is not into you helping them....

If you left them alone it was a huge no no (stupid i know)

Worst of all unless u were buddies with the manager, they would ignore the heck out of you and looked at you like you were stupid when you didnt have the same "hobbies"
Pros
Free 1 tea on shift, store smells good
Cons
Everything else
Free tea and great discounts
Tea Guide (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON16 December 2016
Quite a bit has changed since I first started working with the company. They went from privately owned to public which meant lots of rules changed and lots of management turnover.
Pros
FREE tea on shift & great discounts on tea and merchandise
Cons
high turnover of management
Sales manager
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 December 2016
Great culture, poor work life balance. Great opportunities of growth and career advancement.
A lot of shift work, great management and guidance
Pros
Great culture
Cons
Poor work life
Upper Management needs to train better.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 December 2016
I worked long hours and wasn't allowed to clock in for many of them. I was required to come in either 5 am or stay well past closing to do tasks the store was not willing to pay me for. The customers were fairly good. The upper management was awful. There was no support at all and the district manager at my location was vindictive, catty, and straight up mean. I enjoyed the employees I worked with because they were so kind and we were all able to bond. The pay was less than desirable, they asked my current wage and added 2 cents. If the District manager was having a bad day, She would take it out on you with no second thought. It was a toxic environment and left me mentally and emotionally exhausted. We were not allowed to reach out to the upper management with out getting in trouble from our District manager. I was written up for a mistake that I was never told about, and a mistake many people made, the DM made me fax in my own write up. It was humiliating. I was constantly told that I was a disposable piece of the store.
Pros
Friendly customers and most staff.
Cons
long unpaid hours, awful upper management, pay.
Fun company, but that's about it
Tea Guide (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 December 2016
When you first start this job, you think that's it going to be amazing with all this great training.
Then you get on the floor and realize that you're not actually trying to educate people and get to know them, you're pushing to sell them a product. I mean, really pushing. The sales tactics were almost forceful, leaving me and other Tea Guides uncomfortable at how we were supposed to approach customers.
Management is also fairly useless, with schedules given out only 3 days in advance and rarely around to enforce seemingly arbitrary policies they have invented. Between that and constantly leaving early or just not being present for important shipments or merchandise changes, the rest of the staff is left doing all the grunt work.
The only thing that saves this job is my fellow coworkers. They manage to hire some of the most amazing people to work with, but they are soon left disenchanted with the job because the amount of undue stress that is placed onto part-time employees.
They try to "build people up" by criticizing every aspect of your job performance and by strongly encouraging you to follow a flow-chart style script that turns you into the world's lamest actor.
Pros
Free tea, good discount on products, flexible hours, amazing coworkers
Cons
Poor management, nonsensical scheduling, pushy sales tactics, low wages, no room for advancement
Fun place to work if you are in need of part time, flexible work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  BC29 November 2016
The job requirements and wages don't match up, you often find yourself thinking "I don't get paid enough to work this hard". They are good for training their staff to advance in the company.
productive and fun workplace
SEASONAL TEA GUIDE (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 November 2016
My experience when working with DavidsTea was amazing. I definitely loved working there and building connections with my coworkers and our customers. The hardest part of the job was organization when I was being trained. I still needed help when making drinks and it was still confusing. The management team needs to focus on that aspect of training.
Pros
free tea
Cons
lack of organization when training
Mostly poor management, Very pressured & demanding environment
Seasonal Sales Associate (Tea Guide) (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC21 October 2016
This job had very high expectations on pretty much anything and management communication was poor. Seasonal staff were treated with disregard.
Pros
Free tea, breaks, discounts, decent training
Cons
Poor management, pressured & demanding environment
really poor management
Tea guide (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NS19 September 2016
Management was horrible at the location I was at, treated staff like her slaves, constantly leaving the store short to go on personal breaks, has already lost 4-5 staff members and head management doesn't answer emails or return calls/voicemails, definitely do not apply if you want your things stolen. Other than that, great other staff members and environment to be in.
Pros
Free teas on shift and 50% discount on teas/products
Cons
Poor management throughout company and no room to grow within the company/poor hours
Amazing place with amazing people
Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON22 August 2016
A typical day at DAVIDsTEA includes introducing customers to new and exciting teas, and telling them about the newest products. You get to know a lot about tea and how its made and different peoples' preferences.

The management team is amazing and super understanding, and the other Tea Guides are just incredibly friendly. There is never a dull day at work.
Pros
Free tea, amazing benefits
Cons
There are no cons.
Enjoyable place to work
Part-Time Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON17 August 2016
-great staff to work with
-fun and casual environment
-slightly over staffed/ not enough hours
-good experience overall
Wouldnt reccomend
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 August 2016
This company used to be a company that really valued its people but unfortunately its not the direction its going. The pay is very minimal for the expectations and the amount of work put in by Management and staff alike. The Co Workers are the only redeeming thing about working for the company. Quite a few promises were made to several people on the Management team but unfortunately nothing came to light.
Cons
Managers no longer have days off together, little advancement, a lot of talk and no promises.
Very dependant
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL22 July 2016
The culture of Davids Tea is very amazing, and on good days I loved my job. However it seems like the stress of the job really depends on what region you're working in, as some district and regional managers are more demanding than others.
Pros
Great discount, fun work environment
Cons
Lack of support from management, very high expectations
Productive and fun place to work
Distribution Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC24 May 2016
Fun place to work at, co-workers are friendly and professional. Good team work, i enjoy being here. Management is professional
A negative experience overall.
Key Holder/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS17 May 2016
I was hired on as a Key Holder right before the Christmas rush. Initially I was extremely excited to work with this company because it seemed so positive and upbeat. I learned a lot about teas and how they're made, and the customers were extremely pleasant compared to my past two years of experience at Starbucks.

But it went downhill fast. I quickly realized that there was no in-store training. I was placed on the floor with the expectation to use my online training right away, without being able to see or practice it in the store.
The company seemed to evolve from a welcoming and positive environment to a pushy and sales-driven organization. Customers were constantly annoyed by these tactics they had us use, and it made the experience that much more negative. They had one tactic where you were told to "multi-serve". This basically means to try and serve as many customers at once; which left many feeling ignored or forgotten about.
The management was extremely disorganized; I was taught all my responsibilities quickly in between the rushes of customers and the multiple cleaning and store maintenance tasks that had to be completed throughout the day. This made it extremely difficult to fully understand what was going on, and I constantly found myself confused and flustered because of this.
Most of the other staff members were extremely unfriendly and unhelpful when I had questions. It made for a very tense and uncomfortable work environment. (There were some helpful staff members, but they were few and far between) This may have been due to the fact that we were constantly
  more... understaffed, and there were many new seasonal staff members that were also learning their roles.
My first shift alone as the supervisor was a closing shift, and I also had the responsibility of changing the merchandise and signage that night. I had never done this before, so they paired me with a seasonal team member who also had know idea what to do. I was given a quick run through earlier, but none of the other management team members were willing to stick around to help out. We were so understaffed that evening, and that made for one heck of a night.
The irresponsibility and disregard in this workplace was so astounding to me. I have had many different experiences in many different workplaces and this one was by far the worst. I would never recommend this job to anyone!
Pros
Discount, Free Tea, A good way to learn about teas and how they're made.
Cons
Everything else. Terrible management, extremely unorganized, pushy sales environment, negative team members, minimal training, understaffed
Fun, structured work environment.
Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB11 May 2016
A structured job environment while still having interesting and fun qualities about it. The staff and upper management really care about there employees and are easy to access when needed.

A typical day on the job could be anything from unloading shipments to creating drink orders or even attending events around the city to serve tea samples.

The co-workers were all very friendly and make the work day fun. The company really looks for people who can work in a professional environment while still have an interesting personality.

You learn tons about tea and the culture. It's very interesting and really helps with packaging the tea.
Pros
Drinking free tea.

2.9