DAVIDsTEA Employee Reviews in Canada

Productive and fun place to work
Distribution Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCMay 24, 2016
Fun place to work at, co-workers are friendly and professional. Good team work, i enjoy being here. Management is professional
A negative experience overall.
Key Holder/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSMay 17, 2016
I was hired on as a Key Holder right before the Christmas rush. Initially I was extremely excited to work with this company because it seemed so positive and upbeat. I learned a lot about teas and how they're made, and the customers were extremely pleasant compared to my past two years of experience at Starbucks.

But it went downhill fast. I quickly realized that there was no in-store training. I was placed on the floor with the expectation to use my online training right away, without being able to see or practice it in the store.
The company seemed to evolve from a welcoming and positive environment to a pushy and sales-driven organization. Customers were constantly annoyed by these tactics they had us use, and it made the experience that much more negative. They had one tactic where you were told to "multi-serve". This basically means to try and serve as many customers at once; which left many feeling ignored or forgotten about.
The management was extremely disorganized; I was taught all my responsibilities quickly in between the rushes of customers and the multiple cleaning and store maintenance tasks that had to be completed throughout the day. This made it extremely difficult to fully understand what was going on, and I constantly found myself confused and flustered because of this.
Most of the other staff members were extremely unfriendly and unhelpful when I had questions. It made for a very tense and uncomfortable work environment. (There were some helpful staff members, but they were few and far between) This may have been due to the fact that we were constantly
  more... understaffed, and there were many new seasonal staff members that were also learning their roles.
My first shift alone as the supervisor was a closing shift, and I also had the responsibility of changing the merchandise and signage that night. I had never done this before, so they paired me with a seasonal team member who also had know idea what to do. I was given a quick run through earlier, but none of the other management team members were willing to stick around to help out. We were so understaffed that evening, and that made for one heck of a night.
The irresponsibility and disregard in this workplace was so astounding to me. I have had many different experiences in many different workplaces and this one was by far the worst. I would never recommend this job to anyone!
Pros
Discount, Free Tea, A good way to learn about teas and how they're made.
Cons
Everything else. Terrible management, extremely unorganized, pushy sales environment, negative team members, minimal training, understaffed
Fun, structured work environment.
Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MBMay 11, 2016
A structured job environment while still having interesting and fun qualities about it. The staff and upper management really care about there employees and are easy to access when needed.

A typical day on the job could be anything from unloading shipments to creating drink orders or even attending events around the city to serve tea samples.

The co-workers were all very friendly and make the work day fun. The company really looks for people who can work in a professional environment while still have an interesting personality.

You learn tons about tea and the culture. It's very interesting and really helps with packaging the tea.
Pros
Drinking free tea.
So much fun!!
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 20, 2016
Great customer service based company! They made me into a frequent steeper and gave me the chance to learn about teamwork and tea!
Great team mates, and fun workplace
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 9, 2016
DAVIDsTEA is made by the staff they hire. The company would fall apart without the uniqueness and hard working individuals that put up with all of the last minute changes, move their own lives around to accommodate the confusion that is head office. They take great care of their managers and higher, but any hourly employees have to fight to get a decent raise or move up within the company. The job itself is fun, the customers are great, and the Tea Guides make this company as successful as it is.
Pros
Great discount, free tea while working, life long friends.
Cons
Upper management gets all the perks, while the little guys work their butts off for them.
Fun workplace, difficult advancement
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Thornhill, ONMarch 15, 2016
Typical day at work is very tough as we have to go through extensive flow charts in order. Very fun with good customers, but totally depends on the mall or store location. I've learned many new things about different teas as well as store operations. DAVIDsTEA is very hands on and expects you to learn on your feet. Management can get tricky and plays heavy favourites. Avoid this place if you're a hard worker but aren't sociable. Co-workers are all nice, enjoyable to be around. Everyone hired is perky and fun. Hardest part of the job is maintaining store standards and pushing customers to upsell. No real motivation to upsell so everyone sort of just lacks the push for it. As well, the company sets up many irrational policies. The most enjoyable part however, is the whole atmosphere and sense of accomplishment. DAVIDsTEA may be a lot of work for little pay, but you feel very accomplished at the end of the day and the hard work you put into your store.
Pros
Free tea, 50% all tea and merchandise
Cons
Favouritism, too many rules
Fun workplace, very friendly co-workers
Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 1, 2016
fun
positive
energetic
productive
enjoyed the good atmosphere
enjoyed learning new things
managers made everyone very comfortable and feel like a family
Brand Merchandising
Tea Guide (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 25, 2016
While working at Winners, I learned how to properly merchandise product. I worked with many different brands at Winners and used my merchandising skills to execute product placement in order to properly showcase these brands in the best way possible for customers.
A Fun Place to Work
Seasonal Tea Guide, Chinook (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 19, 2015
David's is a fun place to work and experience a different way to help customers. Ive always loved their products and its great to learn about them from the other side.Its a fun place to work and feels like your working in a big family.
Typical Day at Work
Seasonal Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ONOctober 27, 2015
I'd have to give samples to people passing by in hopes to get them in the store
It was a fun work environment overall, i enjoyed going to work.
Pros
Breaks
Fun and innovative, but going downhill steadily
Events Coordinator & Keyholder (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSOctober 18, 2015
2 years ago, I would've written a 1000-page essay on what I admired about this company, its mission, and its approach to retail -- now I would strain to finish a sentence.
While fun, young, innovative, and bright, DT is becoming the same sales/money-focused, product-pushing, 'keep in line' sort of company. Its sad, as it used to be very accepting, actively listened and responded to store-level staff, and seemed to genuinely care, now most of that is gone.
Store-level staff are kept a very close eye on, and scolded for nearly anything, however management and upper-management are not reviewed nearly often enough. Many of these people are 'bosses, but not leaders' preferring to dictate and demand.
The company has now shifted its focus to a younger clientele (confusing, as they spend less than older adults..), and while they have succeeded in creating product demand, they have simultaneously created demanding, entitled customers -- they often demand policy-waiving, and free items.

Its sad to see where this company has ended up, as it truly was in the best workplaces with a happy, supportive culture.
Pros
All you can drink tea, great discount, flexible uniform, simple P OS system, easy training.
Cons
No growth within company (hires externally, any marks on record deems you unworthy of a location-transfer), flippant with warnings, poor management, little trust, no discount online.
Amazing Company!
ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCOctober 14, 2015
I worked at the head office in Montreal for the store development team. Deadlines were tight and there was tons of work, as this company is expanding rapidly and opening new stores each month. I worked overtime on the weekdays and sometimes worked on my weekends as well. Yet, when I would leave, there would always be a few others still in the office.

There is such a great atmosphere at DAVIDsTEA that each member of different departments is incredibly motivated and, therefore, willing to put in the extra hours so that the company continues to be a success. It is a young company with fun, talented, ambitious, and creative employees, which is also reflected in the brand.
Pros
Dynamic company still growing; creative; lots of work events
Cons
Bonus system could be improved
False promises
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 7, 2015
If i wanted to read a script everyday i would of become actor. The way upper management wants you to act is fake and irritating that most customers don't appreciate. The company wants you to be yourself but that's untrue its more like your one of their sheep and all you do is follow there ways or your gone.
Pros
free tea
Cons
no advancement or raises, training is sub par, and Store Managers and DM's could careless with anything you have to say
Fun and friendly work environment
Tea Guide (Current Employee) –  WaterlooJuly 13, 2015
I truly enjoy being a part of the wonderful DavidsTea company. I have met many great people and we work hard everyday to deliver the highest quality of customer service and to positively and effectively educate all customers on the world of tea and our company.
Fast paced development oriented positive atmosphere
Tea Guide (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 13, 2015
The product is fun and the customers are generally easy going.
You get to drink a lot of high quality teas and there is a lot of opportunity for self development. You are given a lot of permission to make decisions. It's still a really small company, so you are able to easily reach out to levels of upper management and head office and they encourage you to do so.

Not a ton of management development, but large expectations. The company is not unified on their management and leadership style, so your experience as an employee really varies depending on which store you are working at and under which manager.
Recently switched from being really experience focused, to integrating a sales focus into the experience, and the older staff members had a more difficult time with this transition, while newer staff members get excellent training and expectations really easily laid out.
Pros
Great discount, Great new training program, Great product, Easy Communication style
Cons
Overworked and Underpaid (typical of retail), high expectations with not as thorough training for management.
Fun workplace with amazing customers
Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONJuly 6, 2015
I loved going to work knowing that I would be helping customers, however, the assistant store manager at my location was absolutely horrible and would always talk about other employees, and was very discriminatory. I had amazing coworkers. The most enjoyable part was getting to drink unlimited tea while at work, and the 50% staff discount was incredible.
Pros
Unlimited Tea while at work
Cons
Some managers and coworkers are pretentious
Face-paced, high energy, exciting work environment with upbeat and friendly coworkers and customers
Events Coordinator/Tea Guide (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSMarch 31, 2015
Engage customers with samples of freshly brewed tea and exciting merchandise. Talk about loose tea and how to make it at home. Have pleasant chats about tea!
Extraordinary values, beautiful vision, tragically mishired management
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 3, 2015
I worked at DAVIDsTEA for nearly a year at the third highest volume location store in the entire company. I absolutely loved the product, the company, the vision, and the culture. It was often an excellent conversation point in day to day life. I will tell you some simple facts in this review.

I adored my co workers, in fact, I had trained most of my staff personally and had very close bonds with them. I grew to know their life and dreams and coached them to push past their insecurities and exceed their previous expectations. Watching them grow was one of the most distinct pleasures of my working history.

I learned some incredible skills working here, I credit this company for developing my leadership skills, problem solving, and time management much further than I thought possible.

However, you don't quit this job. You quit the manager. Our district manager terrified our staff and even when my co workers were on their best behavior, the DM often left our staff stressed. Our store manager was frequently absent and unprofessional. The SM unloaded an incredible amount of responsibility onto the staff while barely being present. Even when the staff was on absolute best behavior, the SM negatively criticized each staff member's performance. The SM also left early almost every shift, leaving our staff feeling very without direction.

I do not regret my time at DAVIDsTEA but the incredible amount of barriers I encountered when I attempted to give feedback to my management is indicative of some pretty severe communication gaps.

If this is your first job and you don't care about
  more... advancement, I would recommend working here. The benefits are low and the management is very resistant to feedback but you will learn and be pushed further than you believe you are capable.  less
Pros
beautifully picked store staff, incredible team bonds, awesome values and mission, exciting promotions and product
Cons
very low pay, high stress, no whistleblowers, one break a day, raises are slim to none, advancement is minimal, needlessly critical management
Enjoyable and enthusiastic einvironment, by far the best job I've ever had.
Tea Guide/Keyholder (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NsFebruary 4, 2015
On an average day, we spend 85% of the time with customers, and the rest of the time we are cleaning or doing inventory. This job has taught me invaluable lessons about teamwork and efficiency. My group of co workers operate as a strong team; we always have each other's backs and are there to help without needing to be asked. The best part of the job is getting to know our regular customers and meeting the new ones.
Pros
great environment, lots of learning opportunities
Cons
no hours
Highly retail oriented, fun coworkers, many job opportunities if you're driven.
SEASONAL PART-TIME TEA GUIDE (Former Employee) –  CHurch adn Wellesley TorontoJanuary 25, 2015
Depending on how busy a store is, and mine was not really at all- hours can suck butt. But that happens with any establishment. For all the goods you upsell there isn't even a commission bonus to encourage sales, or make up for miniscule paycheck if you're working only once a week..
Pros
50% discount, friends and family coupon benefits, friendly job culture
Cons
if you don't like to talk a lot i suggest you're in for a hard time.

4.2