DAVIDsTEA Employee Reviews

really poor management
Tea guide (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSSeptember 19, 2016
Management was horrible at the location I was at, treated staff like her slaves, constantly leaving the store short to go on personal breaks, has already lost 4-5 staff members and head management doesn't answer emails or return calls/voicemails, definitely do not apply if you want your things stolen. Other than that, great other staff members and environment to be in.
Pros
Free teas on shift and 50% discount on teas/products
Cons
Poor management throughout company and no room to grow within the company/poor hours
Wouldnt reccomend
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 9, 2016
This company used to be a company that really valued its people but unfortunately its not the direction its going. The pay is very minimal for the expectations and the amount of work put in by Management and staff alike. The Co Workers are the only redeeming thing about working for the company. Quite a few promises were made to several people on the Management team but unfortunately nothing came to light.
Cons
Managers no longer have days off together, little advancement, a lot of talk and no promises.
Amazing place with amazing people
Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONAugust 22, 2016
A typical day at DAVIDsTEA includes introducing customers to new and exciting teas, and telling them about the newest products. You get to know a lot about tea and how its made and different peoples' preferences.

The management team is amazing and super understanding, and the other Tea Guides are just incredibly friendly. There is never a dull day at work.
Pros
Free tea, amazing benefits
Cons
There are no cons.
Fun, structured work environment.
Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MBMay 11, 2016
A structured job environment while still having interesting and fun qualities about it. The staff and upper management really care about there employees and are easy to access when needed.

A typical day on the job could be anything from unloading shipments to creating drink orders or even attending events around the city to serve tea samples.

The co-workers were all very friendly and make the work day fun. The company really looks for people who can work in a professional environment while still have an interesting personality.

You learn tons about tea and the culture. It's very interesting and really helps with packaging the tea.
Pros
Drinking free tea.
Great team mates, and fun workplace
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 9, 2016
DAVIDsTEA is made by the staff they hire. The company would fall apart without the uniqueness and hard working individuals that put up with all of the last minute changes, move their own lives around to accommodate the confusion that is head office. They take great care of their managers and higher, but any hourly employees have to fight to get a decent raise or move up within the company. The job itself is fun, the customers are great, and the Tea Guides make this company as successful as it is.
Pros
Great discount, free tea while working, life long friends.
Cons
Upper management gets all the perks, while the little guys work their butts off for them.
Enjoyable place to work
Part-Time Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONAugust 17, 2016
-great staff to work with
-fun and casual environment
-slightly over staffed/ not enough hours
-good experience overall
Productive and fun place to work
Distribution Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCMay 24, 2016
Fun place to work at, co-workers are friendly and professional. Good team work, i enjoy being here. Management is professional
Fun workplace, difficult advancement
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Thornhill, ONMarch 15, 2016
Typical day at work is very tough as we have to go through extensive flow charts in order. Very fun with good customers, but totally depends on the mall or store location. I've learned many new things about different teas as well as store operations. DAVIDsTEA is very hands on and expects you to learn on your feet. Management can get tricky and plays heavy favourites. Avoid this place if you're a hard worker but aren't sociable. Co-workers are all nice, enjoyable to be around. Everyone hired is perky and fun. Hardest part of the job is maintaining store standards and pushing customers to upsell. No real motivation to upsell so everyone sort of just lacks the push for it. As well, the company sets up many irrational policies. The most enjoyable part however, is the whole atmosphere and sense of accomplishment. DAVIDsTEA may be a lot of work for little pay, but you feel very accomplished at the end of the day and the hard work you put into your store.
Pros
Free tea, 50% all tea and merchandise
Cons
Favouritism, too many rules
Brand Merchandising
Tea Guide (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 25, 2016
While working at Winners, I learned how to properly merchandise product. I worked with many different brands at Winners and used my merchandising skills to execute product placement in order to properly showcase these brands in the best way possible for customers.
So much fun!!
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 20, 2016
Great customer service based company! They made me into a frequent steeper and gave me the chance to learn about teamwork and tea!
Fun workplace, very friendly co-workers
Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 1, 2016
fun
positive
energetic
productive
enjoyed the good atmosphere
enjoyed learning new things
managers made everyone very comfortable and feel like a family
Amazing Company!
ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCOctober 14, 2015
I worked at the head office in Montreal for the store development team. Deadlines were tight and there was tons of work, as this company is expanding rapidly and opening new stores each month. I worked overtime on the weekdays and sometimes worked on my weekends as well. Yet, when I would leave, there would always be a few others still in the office.

There is such a great atmosphere at DAVIDsTEA that each member of different departments is incredibly motivated and, therefore, willing to put in the extra hours so that the company continues to be a success. It is a young company with fun, talented, ambitious, and creative employees, which is also reflected in the brand.
Pros
Dynamic company still growing; creative; lots of work events
Cons
Bonus system could be improved
A Fun Place to Work
Seasonal Tea Guide, Chinook (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 19, 2015
David's is a fun place to work and experience a different way to help customers. Ive always loved their products and its great to learn about them from the other side.Its a fun place to work and feels like your working in a big family.
False promises
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 7, 2015
If i wanted to read a script everyday i would of become actor. The way upper management wants you to act is fake and irritating that most customers don't appreciate. The company wants you to be yourself but that's untrue its more like your one of their sheep and all you do is follow there ways or your gone.
Pros
free tea
Cons
no advancement or raises, training is sub par, and Store Managers and DM's could careless with anything you have to say
Fun workplace with amazing customers
Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONJuly 6, 2015
I loved going to work knowing that I would be helping customers, however, the assistant store manager at my location was absolutely horrible and would always talk about other employees, and was very discriminatory. I had amazing coworkers. The most enjoyable part was getting to drink unlimited tea while at work, and the 50% staff discount was incredible.
Pros
Unlimited Tea while at work
Cons
Some managers and coworkers are pretentious
Typical Day at Work
Seasonal Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ONOctober 27, 2015
I'd have to give samples to people passing by in hopes to get them in the store
It was a fun work environment overall, i enjoyed going to work.
Pros
Breaks
Fun and friendly work environment
Tea Guide (Current Employee) –  WaterlooJuly 13, 2015
I truly enjoy being a part of the wonderful DavidsTea company. I have met many great people and we work hard everyday to deliver the highest quality of customer service and to positively and effectively educate all customers on the world of tea and our company.
Enjoyable and enthusiastic einvironment, by far the best job I've ever had.
Tea Guide/Keyholder (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NsFebruary 4, 2015
On an average day, we spend 85% of the time with customers, and the rest of the time we are cleaning or doing inventory. This job has taught me invaluable lessons about teamwork and efficiency. My group of co workers operate as a strong team; we always have each other's backs and are there to help without needing to be asked. The best part of the job is getting to know our regular customers and meeting the new ones.
Pros
great environment, lots of learning opportunities
Cons
no hours
Highly retail oriented, fun coworkers, many job opportunities if you're driven.
SEASONAL PART-TIME TEA GUIDE (Former Employee) –  CHurch adn Wellesley TorontoJanuary 25, 2015
Depending on how busy a store is, and mine was not really at all- hours can suck butt. But that happens with any establishment. For all the goods you upsell there isn't even a commission bonus to encourage sales, or make up for miniscule paycheck if you're working only once a week..
Pros
50% discount, friends and family coupon benefits, friendly job culture
Cons
if you don't like to talk a lot i suggest you're in for a hard time.
Face-paced, high energy, exciting work environment with upbeat and friendly coworkers and customers
Events Coordinator/Tea Guide (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSMarch 31, 2015
Engage customers with samples of freshly brewed tea and exciting merchandise. Talk about loose tea and how to make it at home. Have pleasant chats about tea!