DAVIDsTEA Employee Reviews

Mostly happy team, with hard workers
Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC22 September 2017
Some employees are very rude but for the most part they do their work as they should, some taking their time as they go. Majority of the staff are happy and kind. When the shift is over, you leave right away. there is no staying to finish, 10 minutes before the end, everyone puts away their teas, washes their bins and scoops, sweeps, etc.
Pros
Tea bar; a large variety of teas and you may drink as much as you like on your breaks.
Cons
Salary and hours are a little low.
It was subpar
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Guildford, BC20 September 2017
The company stands for a lot of really great things! It's just gotten so pushy over the years that I have to announce I was a former employee just to get them to stop trying to sell me things...
Pros
Free tea
Cons
Not reliable, terrible hours even for management, annoyingly pushy sales tactics that don't ever work
Super fun, but maybe too relaxed.
Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB3 September 2017
I was with David's for two years, and I really did have a great time. I loved all the tea and merch, so it was very easy to sell. I had fantastic coworkers, we were like a family. I only left because I moved.

The management is a whole other story, though. My store manager was very laid back, but the upper management is really strict. There was a lot of miscommunication above the Tea Guides and Key holders, but we were always the ones who suffered because of it.
Pros
Free tea on shift, 50% off all purchases, fun
Cons
Poorly Managed.
Family feel
Manager (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB28 August 2017
Probably the best company I have had the privilege of working for. David is down to earth and open to hearing ideas to help grow the company.
The store experience is what makes this place stand out. They empower their staff and it was refreshing to work for somewhere that had policies but were also fun.
If I had the opportunity to manage a store again, I would in a heart beat.
Pros
Free tea while you work, fun games and incentives
Fun and fresh place to work
Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON23 August 2017
The typical day focused on the customer and their needs. The customers were almost always awesome and excited to be in the store. Management was generally really understanding and they wanted everyone to enjoy working there.
fun workplace
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Namur, QC2 August 2017
As a job it's hard and demands lots of energy and effort. I learned how to work fast and get the tasks done perfectly. The leaders were very nice and friendly but at the same time capable of leading the group equally. The hardest part of it was having to stand up for several hours and there's no air conditioning.
I love my job
Tea Guide (Current Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON17 July 2017
It's always exciting to come to work and I love the atmosphere. I've learned a lot about working as a team and delivering effective customer service to ensure each customer leaves smiling. It's enjoyable when customers enter the store with a minimal knowledge of tea and leave the store bursting with knowledge and excitement over their new teas.
Pros
Amazing atmosphere
Cons
Haven't found one yet
Awesome
Tea guide/ key holder (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB7 July 2017
Davids is the best place to be, It always smells good, you drink tea all day so you're super hydrated. Your customers are always nice because who gets mad over flavoured water and the staff are the most pleasant and hilarious people you'll meet anywhere.
Mal Managed and
Tea guide (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 July 2017
Typical corporate customer service work. the Management was poor and losing shifts was common. Unethical work practices and not an inviting place to work.
Amazing Workplace and Friendly Environment
Tea Guide (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 June 2017
A typical day at work consists of getting a quick run down of current promotions that are happening in-store including sales, events, as so forth; then getting into your assigned positions for the day. Working for DAVIDsTEA has taught me how to push sales and be a strong presence on the floor as well as what steps to take in order to assist a customer. Along with sales, the store has taught me how to work well within a team environment and what it means to be a team player. Helping each other succeed will only result in positive outcomes for the team as a whole as well as us as individuals. Management is amazing and very tailored to fit each employee's personal needs.
Fantastic place to work with excellent management and lots of room for growth.
Tea Guide (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC24 June 2017
Depending on the store it can be very busy, you should be able to multitask while working. Lot's of coaching done to helo you grow as an employee. Hours are very flexible and they are always taking into account any other life responsibilities such as school. It's really an amazing and fun place to work. There's never a dull moment.
Pros
Amazing environment with an awesome team.
Cons
You have to call in day of if you have an on call which can be a hassle if you have to take transit.
Fun and Challenging work place
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS6 June 2017
DAVIDsTEA is all about growing their employees. Always room for development and advancement if you're determined and a great self-starter. Great company values and culture!
Pros
Free Tea, on the job training, organized
Environnement motivant
Tea Guide (Current Employee) –  Mirabel, QC22 May 2017
Ambiance agréable et esprit d'équipe très puissant. Le fait de travailler avec des objectifs et des résultats à atteindre est très motivant.
Pros
Excellent rabais employé
Cons
Pause seulement accordée après 5h30
Cheery and bright company with yummy teas
Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 May 2017
I loved learning about tea in such depth. The manager I had was amazing but the assistant managers were often a bit unprofessional. Everyone is expected to be super cheery, upbeat, and friendly all the time. Super focused on customer service. Also pretty focused on retail sales- selling hard goods and loose tea. There is opportunity to make drinks for customers, but not nearly as much as you would get in a regular cafe. The customer base is pretty loyal. There's always a few regulars and DT customers are usually pretty friendly. There was often a lot of pressure to always be upping our sales and you might have to sample a lot. Great HR team though- lots of effective anti-bullying and anti-harassment policies in place.
Pros
Unlimited tea during your shifts
Cons
Can get repetitive and boring, like most retail jobs
Engaging, caring and fresh place to work.
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 May 2017
You get to infuse peoples lives with joy. Work with lots of great products, and sip delicious tea while you work. Believe me, you will work hard. Its not that easy selling people tea.
Don't care about employees
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC5 May 2017
Worked in their distribution centre/packaging facility. Most workers are temporary, many working for years without actually being hired by the company. Pay is poor. Management is deaf to concerns and problems of employees. Years of hard work and loyalty go unrewarded. Facility is dirty and hot with rodents and equipment is sub-standard. Morale is generally low despite good coworkers. Company culture seems to consist of taking advantage of people.
Pros
You may make some friends.
Cons
You'll feel used and unappreciated
Fun place but expect a lot from staff
Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 May 2017
Fun place but expect a lot from staff, the pay is very low but good advancement within the company. The company has given me a lot of experience and an insight into management.
If you dont speak French Dont Join
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto Ontario23 April 2017
Fun working environment, however if you are not fully bilingual in French you will not grow with this company.

Great perks, free tea, engaging fun store environment, but disappointing growth opportunities
Fun job, shifty management
Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 March 2017
I worked there for nearly a year, putting up with a lot from a TERRIBLE manager who was WAY too stressed out because her managers were just as awful to her. Most of the reviews say this, but I can't stress it enough. The management is terrible here.

The job itself is so fun! Tea is delicious and when you get to have a good relationship with your customer (which only really happens when it's not busy), the conversation really makes the job worth it!

The company itself, however, still sketches me out. I had to often count my own hours to make sure I was being paid enough, was often asked to stay longer than the company would pay me for (quick tip, NEVER stay late unless you're getting paid to do it in retail), and when I quit I had to jump through hoops to get my vacation payout before I left. Now that I've nearly been gone a year I'm STILL jumping through hoops to try and get my last T4 from them which is honestly unacceptable.

I do miss my coworkers and the actual job, but I would never work for this company again.
Pros
fun job content, great coworkers
Cons
terrible company organization, bare minimum breaks, bad management
not appropriate workplace
Packer (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC15 March 2017
the most enjoyable part of the job was that it was a team work and I learned about packing and some tea flavors. But the workplace was too hot and there was no air conditioning. Also we had to stand on foot for hours, which was somehow challenging.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DAVIDsTEA. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8