DAVIDsTEA Employee Reviews

Gotta fit the scene
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ON22 December 2016
Awful!!! The training was a waste of time, they talked about the company and where/ why it came to be but no actual training on how to deal with customers, approach customers properly or in general how to interact.

Very pushy in sales and the greeting you musttttt all say hello when someone walks in and start off your speech about if they have ever been to the store before even if you kinda guess the customer is not into you helping them....

If you left them alone it was a huge no no (stupid i know)

Worst of all unless u were buddies with the manager, they would ignore the heck out of you and looked at you like you were stupid when you didnt have the same "hobbies"
Pros
Free 1 tea on shift, store smells good
Cons
Everything else
productive and fun workplace
SEASONAL TEA GUIDE (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 November 2016
My experience when working with DavidsTea was amazing. I definitely loved working there and building connections with my coworkers and our customers. The hardest part of the job was organization when I was being trained. I still needed help when making drinks and it was still confusing. The management team needs to focus on that aspect of training.
Pros
free tea
Cons
lack of organization when training
really poor management
Tea guide (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NS19 September 2016
Management was horrible at the location I was at, treated staff like her slaves, constantly leaving the store short to go on personal breaks, has already lost 4-5 staff members and head management doesn't answer emails or return calls/voicemails, definitely do not apply if you want your things stolen. Other than that, great other staff members and environment to be in.
Pros
Free teas on shift and 50% discount on teas/products
Cons
Poor management throughout company and no room to grow within the company/poor hours
Mostly poor management, Very pressured & demanding environment
Seasonal Sales Associate (Tea Guide) (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC21 October 2016
This job had very high expectations on pretty much anything and management communication was poor. Seasonal staff were treated with disregard.
Pros
Free tea, breaks, discounts, decent training
Cons
Poor management, pressured & demanding environment
Amazing place with amazing people
Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON22 August 2016
A typical day at DAVIDsTEA includes introducing customers to new and exciting teas, and telling them about the newest products. You get to know a lot about tea and how its made and different peoples' preferences.

The management team is amazing and super understanding, and the other Tea Guides are just incredibly friendly. There is never a dull day at work.
Pros
Free tea, amazing benefits
Cons
There are no cons.
Wouldnt reccomend
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 August 2016
This company used to be a company that really valued its people but unfortunately its not the direction its going. The pay is very minimal for the expectations and the amount of work put in by Management and staff alike. The Co Workers are the only redeeming thing about working for the company. Quite a few promises were made to several people on the Management team but unfortunately nothing came to light.
Cons
Managers no longer have days off together, little advancement, a lot of talk and no promises.
Free tea and great discounts
Tea Guide (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON16 December 2016
Quite a bit has changed since I first started working with the company. They went from privately owned to public which meant lots of rules changed and lots of management turnover.
Pros
FREE tea on shift & great discounts on tea and merchandise
Cons
high turnover of management
Fun place to work if you are in need of part time, flexible work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  BC29 November 2016
The job requirements and wages don't match up, you often find yourself thinking "I don't get paid enough to work this hard". They are good for training their staff to advance in the company.
Very dependant
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL22 July 2016
The culture of Davids Tea is very amazing, and on good days I loved my job. However it seems like the stress of the job really depends on what region you're working in, as some district and regional managers are more demanding than others.
Pros
Great discount, fun work environment
Cons
Lack of support from management, very high expectations
Sales manager
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 December 2016
Great culture, poor work life balance. Great opportunities of growth and career advancement.
A lot of shift work, great management and guidance
Pros
Great culture
Cons
Poor work life
Fun, structured work environment.
Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB11 May 2016
A structured job environment while still having interesting and fun qualities about it. The staff and upper management really care about there employees and are easy to access when needed.

A typical day on the job could be anything from unloading shipments to creating drink orders or even attending events around the city to serve tea samples.

The co-workers were all very friendly and make the work day fun. The company really looks for people who can work in a professional environment while still have an interesting personality.

You learn tons about tea and the culture. It's very interesting and really helps with packaging the tea.
Pros
Drinking free tea.
Upper Management needs to train better.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 December 2016
I worked long hours and wasn't allowed to clock in for many of them. I was required to come in either 5 am or stay well past closing to do tasks the store was not willing to pay me for. The customers were fairly good. The upper management was awful. There was no support at all and the district manager at my location was vindictive, catty, and straight up mean. I enjoyed the employees I worked with because they were so kind and we were all able to bond. The pay was less than desirable, they asked my current wage and added 2 cents. If the District manager was having a bad day, She would take it out on you with no second thought. It was a toxic environment and left me mentally and emotionally exhausted. We were not allowed to reach out to the upper management with out getting in trouble from our District manager. I was written up for a mistake that I was never told about, and a mistake many people made, the DM made me fax in my own write up. It was humiliating. I was constantly told that I was a disposable piece of the store.
Pros
Friendly customers and most staff.
Cons
long unpaid hours, awful upper management, pay.
Great team mates, and fun workplace
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 April 2016
DAVIDsTEA is made by the staff they hire. The company would fall apart without the uniqueness and hard working individuals that put up with all of the last minute changes, move their own lives around to accommodate the confusion that is head office. They take great care of their managers and higher, but any hourly employees have to fight to get a decent raise or move up within the company. The job itself is fun, the customers are great, and the Tea Guides make this company as successful as it is.
Pros
Great discount, free tea while working, life long friends.
Cons
Upper management gets all the perks, while the little guys work their butts off for them.
Enjoyable place to work
Part-Time Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON17 August 2016
-great staff to work with
-fun and casual environment
-slightly over staffed/ not enough hours
-good experience overall
Productive and fun place to work
Distribution Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC24 May 2016
Fun place to work at, co-workers are friendly and professional. Good team work, i enjoy being here. Management is professional
Fun company, but that's about it
Tea Guide (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 December 2016
When you first start this job, you think that's it going to be amazing with all this great training.
Then you get on the floor and realize that you're not actually trying to educate people and get to know them, you're pushing to sell them a product. I mean, really pushing. The sales tactics were almost forceful, leaving me and other Tea Guides uncomfortable at how we were supposed to approach customers.
Management is also fairly useless, with schedules given out only 3 days in advance and rarely around to enforce seemingly arbitrary policies they have invented. Between that and constantly leaving early or just not being present for important shipments or merchandise changes, the rest of the staff is left doing all the grunt work.
The only thing that saves this job is my fellow coworkers. They manage to hire some of the most amazing people to work with, but they are soon left disenchanted with the job because the amount of undue stress that is placed onto part-time employees.
They try to "build people up" by criticizing every aspect of your job performance and by strongly encouraging you to follow a flow-chart style script that turns you into the world's lamest actor.
Pros
Free tea, good discount on products, flexible hours, amazing coworkers
Cons
Poor management, nonsensical scheduling, pushy sales tactics, low wages, no room for advancement
Fun workplace, difficult advancement
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Thornhill, ON15 March 2016
Typical day at work is very tough as we have to go through extensive flow charts in order. Very fun with good customers, but totally depends on the mall or store location. I've learned many new things about different teas as well as store operations. DAVIDsTEA is very hands on and expects you to learn on your feet. Management can get tricky and plays heavy favourites. Avoid this place if you're a hard worker but aren't sociable. Co-workers are all nice, enjoyable to be around. Everyone hired is perky and fun. Hardest part of the job is maintaining store standards and pushing customers to upsell. No real motivation to upsell so everyone sort of just lacks the push for it. As well, the company sets up many irrational policies. The most enjoyable part however, is the whole atmosphere and sense of accomplishment. DAVIDsTEA may be a lot of work for little pay, but you feel very accomplished at the end of the day and the hard work you put into your store.
Pros
Free tea, 50% all tea and merchandise
Cons
Favouritism, too many rules
Brand Merchandising
Tea Guide (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 January 2016
While working at Winners, I learned how to properly merchandise product. I worked with many different brands at Winners and used my merchandising skills to execute product placement in order to properly showcase these brands in the best way possible for customers.
So much fun!!
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 April 2016
Great customer service based company! They made me into a frequent steeper and gave me the chance to learn about teamwork and tea!
Amazing Company!
ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC14 October 2015
I worked at the head office in Montreal for the store development team. Deadlines were tight and there was tons of work, as this company is expanding rapidly and opening new stores each month. I worked overtime on the weekdays and sometimes worked on my weekends as well. Yet, when I would leave, there would always be a few others still in the office.

There is such a great atmosphere at DAVIDsTEA that each member of different departments is incredibly motivated and, therefore, willing to put in the extra hours so that the company continues to be a success. It is a young company with fun, talented, ambitious, and creative employees, which is also reflected in the brand.
Pros
Dynamic company still growing; creative; lots of work events
Cons
Bonus system could be improved

2.8