DAVIDsTEA Employee Reviews

Great Place to work, always a positive environment to be in.
Key Holder/Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS14 November 2017
Great Place to work, always a positive environment to be in. Management in certain stores can be very condescending however that depends on the manager at the time.
Seasonal Job
Seasonal Employee (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB7 November 2017
I was just a seasonal worker at David's Tea, and did not enjoy my time. I felt like myself, and other seasonal workers were under appreciated. I was often not called in because I was not needed. My manager was nice and let me leave work early due to road conditions which was nice. The only good part about the job was the discount.
Not the same
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 October 2017
This company has changed over the years and not for the better. It is completely a sales driven company now. There is little to no culture around the tea anymore. There is absolutely no advancement in the company. All district managers are external hires and 1 store manager has been promoted to a District Manager in the last 5-6 years. They wonder why they don't do well anymore, its because of the disconnect between store level and upper management. No one who works in upper level management has ever worked in a store so they don't actually understand the business.
Hated this job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Montreal, QC14 October 2017
Honestly the worst place i've ever worked at. New employees were treated like dirt and the things they put you threw is not worth the minimum wage. Also very exhausting
Pros
Free tea
Cons
Everything else
Energetic upbeat atmosphere
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC7 October 2017
Learned a lot about tea and various ingredients and the health benefits and growing processes. Can be difficult if not a cohesive team who works together as one unit. Some employees can be messy and not clean up after themselves leaving the burden to others. Emphasis on sales is strong so if not comfortable selling it will be difficult. Storage for the amount of inventory carried can be difficult. Overall the environment and company culture is positive and inclusive. You feel free to really be yourself without fear of ridicule which is awesome.
Pros
Inclusive environment
Cons
Can be hard cleaning up after messy coworkers
Mostly happy team, with hard workers
Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC22 September 2017
Some employees are very rude but for the most part they do their work as they should, some taking their time as they go. Majority of the staff are happy and kind. When the shift is over, you leave right away. there is no staying to finish, 10 minutes before the end, everyone puts away their teas, washes their bins and scoops, sweeps, etc.
Pros
Tea bar; a large variety of teas and you may drink as much as you like on your breaks.
Cons
Salary and hours are a little low.
It was subpar
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Guildford, BC20 September 2017
The company stands for a lot of really great things! It's just gotten so pushy over the years that I have to announce I was a former employee just to get them to stop trying to sell me things...
Pros
Free tea
Cons
Not reliable, terrible hours even for management, annoyingly pushy sales tactics that don't ever work
Great retail job
Service Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ON12 September 2017
The work environment is very positive and the clientele is also very friendly. My manager was very supportive and well trained and if anything happened in the store I felt ready to handle it.
Super fun, but maybe too relaxed.
Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB3 September 2017
I was with David's for two years, and I really did have a great time. I loved all the tea and merch, so it was very easy to sell. I had fantastic coworkers, we were like a family. I only left because I moved.

The management is a whole other story, though. My store manager was very laid back, but the upper management is really strict. There was a lot of miscommunication above the Tea Guides and Key holders, but we were always the ones who suffered because of it.
Pros
Free tea on shift, 50% off all purchases, fun
Cons
Poorly Managed.
Family feel
Manager (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB28 August 2017
Probably the best company I have had the privilege of working for. David is down to earth and open to hearing ideas to help grow the company.
The store experience is what makes this place stand out. They empower their staff and it was refreshing to work for somewhere that had policies but were also fun.
If I had the opportunity to manage a store again, I would in a heart beat.
Pros
Free tea while you work, fun games and incentives
Fun and fresh place to work
Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON23 August 2017
The typical day focused on the customer and their needs. The customers were almost always awesome and excited to be in the store. Management was generally really understanding and they wanted everyone to enjoy working there.
fun workplace
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Namur, QC2 August 2017
As a job it's hard and demands lots of energy and effort. I learned how to work fast and get the tasks done perfectly. The leaders were very nice and friendly but at the same time capable of leading the group equally. The hardest part of it was having to stand up for several hours and there's no air conditioning.
I love my job
Tea Guide (Current Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON17 July 2017
It's always exciting to come to work and I love the atmosphere. I've learned a lot about working as a team and delivering effective customer service to ensure each customer leaves smiling. It's enjoyable when customers enter the store with a minimal knowledge of tea and leave the store bursting with knowledge and excitement over their new teas.
Pros
Amazing atmosphere
Cons
Haven't found one yet
Awesome
Tea guide/ key holder (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB7 July 2017
Davids is the best place to be, It always smells good, you drink tea all day so you're super hydrated. Your customers are always nice because who gets mad over flavoured water and the staff are the most pleasant and hilarious people you'll meet anywhere.
Mal Managed and
Tea guide (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 July 2017
Typical corporate customer service work. the Management was poor and losing shifts was common. Unethical work practices and not an inviting place to work.
Amazing Workplace and Friendly Environment
Tea Guide (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 June 2017
A typical day at work consists of getting a quick run down of current promotions that are happening in-store including sales, events, as so forth; then getting into your assigned positions for the day. Working for DAVIDsTEA has taught me how to push sales and be a strong presence on the floor as well as what steps to take in order to assist a customer. Along with sales, the store has taught me how to work well within a team environment and what it means to be a team player. Helping each other succeed will only result in positive outcomes for the team as a whole as well as us as individuals. Management is amazing and very tailored to fit each employee's personal needs.
Fantastic place to work with excellent management and lots of room for growth.
Tea Guide (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC24 June 2017
Depending on the store it can be very busy, you should be able to multitask while working. Lot's of coaching done to helo you grow as an employee. Hours are very flexible and they are always taking into account any other life responsibilities such as school. It's really an amazing and fun place to work. There's never a dull moment.
Pros
Amazing environment with an awesome team.
Cons
You have to call in day of if you have an on call which can be a hassle if you have to take transit.
Fun and Challenging work place
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS6 June 2017
DAVIDsTEA is all about growing their employees. Always room for development and advancement if you're determined and a great self-starter. Great company values and culture!
Pros
Free Tea, on the job training, organized
Environnement motivant
Tea Guide (Current Employee) –  Mirabel, QC22 May 2017
Ambiance agréable et esprit d'équipe très puissant. Le fait de travailler avec des objectifs et des résultats à atteindre est très motivant.
Pros
Excellent rabais employé
Cons
Pause seulement accordée après 5h30
Cheery and bright company with yummy teas
Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 May 2017
I loved learning about tea in such depth. The manager I had was amazing but the assistant managers were often a bit unprofessional. Everyone is expected to be super cheery, upbeat, and friendly all the time. Super focused on customer service. Also pretty focused on retail sales- selling hard goods and loose tea. There is opportunity to make drinks for customers, but not nearly as much as you would get in a regular cafe. The customer base is pretty loyal. There's always a few regulars and DT customers are usually pretty friendly. There was often a lot of pressure to always be upping our sales and you might have to sample a lot. Great HR team though- lots of effective anti-bullying and anti-harassment policies in place.
Pros
Unlimited tea during your shifts
Cons
Can get repetitive and boring, like most retail jobs

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DAVIDsTEA. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8