DAVIDsTEA

DAVIDsTEA Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun and friendly work environment
Tea Guide (Current Employee), WaterlooJuly 13, 2015
I truly enjoy being a part of the wonderful DavidsTea company. I have met many great people and we work hard everyday to deliver the highest quality of customer service and to positively and effectively educate all customers on the world of tea and our company.
Fast paced development oriented positive atmosphere
Tea Guide (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 13, 2015
Pros: Great discount, Great new training program, Great product, Easy Communication style
Cons: Overworked and Underpaid (typical of retail), high expectations with not as thorough training for management.
The product is fun and the customers are generally easy going.
You get to drink a lot of high quality teas and there is a lot of opportunity for self development. You are given a lot of permission to make decisions. It's still a really small company, so you are able to easily reach out to levels of upper management and head office and they encourage you to do so.

Not a ton of management development, but large expectations. The company is not unified on their management and leadership style, so your experience as an employee really varies depending on which store you are working at and under which manager.
Recently switched from being really experience focused, to integrating a sales focus into the experience, and the older staff members had a more difficult time with this transition, while newer staff members get excellent training and expectations really easily laid out.
Fun workplace with amazing customers
Tea Guide (Former Employee), Markham, ONJuly 6, 2015
Pros: Unlimited Tea while at work
Cons: Some managers and coworkers are pretentious
I loved going to work knowing that I would be helping customers, however, the assistant store manager at my location was absolutely horrible and would always talk about other employees, and was very discriminatory. I had amazing coworkers. The most enjoyable part was getting to drink unlimited tea while at work, and the 50% staff discount was incredible.
Face-paced, high energy, exciting work environment with upbeat and friendly coworkers and customers
Events Coordinator/Tea Guide (Current Employee), Halifax, NSMarch 31, 2015
Engage customers with samples of freshly brewed tea and exciting merchandise. Talk about loose tea and how to make it at home. Have pleasant chats about tea!
Extraordinary values, beautiful vision, tragically mishired management
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 3, 2015
Pros: beautifully picked store staff, incredible team bonds, awesome values and mission, exciting promotions and product
Cons: very low pay, high stress, no whistleblowers, one break a day, raises are slim to none, advancement is minimal, needlessly critical management
I worked at DAVIDsTEA for nearly a year at the third highest volume location store in the entire company. I absolutely loved the product, the company, the vision, and the culture. It was often an excellent conversation point in day to day life. I will tell you some simple facts in this review.

I adored my co workers, in fact, I had trained most of my staff personally and had very close bonds with them. I grew to know their life and dreams and coached them to push past their insecurities and exceed their previous expectations. Watching them grow was one of the most distinct pleasures of my working history.

I learned some incredible skills working here, I credit this company for developing my leadership skills, problem solving, and time management much further than I thought possible.

However, you don't quit this job. You quit the manager. Our district manager terrified our staff and even when my co workers were on their best behavior, the DM often left our staff stressed. Our store manager was frequently absent and unprofessional. The SM unloaded an incredible amount of responsibility onto the staff while barely being present. Even when the staff was on absolute best behavior, the SM negatively criticized each staff member's performance. The SM also left early almost every shift, leaving our staff feeling very without direction.

I do not regret my time at DAVIDsTEA but the incredible amount of barriers I encountered when I attempted to give feedback to my management is indicative of some pretty severe communication gaps.

If this is your first job and you don't care about advancement, I would recommend working here. The benefits are low and the management is very resistant to feedback but you will learn and be pushed further than you believe you are capable.
Enjoyable and enthusiastic einvironment, by far the best job I've ever had.
Tea Guide/Keyholder (Current Employee), Halifax, NsFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: great environment, lots of learning opportunities
Cons: no hours
On an average day, we spend 85% of the time with customers, and the rest of the time we are cleaning or doing inventory. This job has taught me invaluable lessons about teamwork and efficiency. My group of co workers operate as a strong team; we always have each other's backs and are there to help without needing to be asked. The best part of the job is getting to know our regular customers and meeting the new ones.
Highly retail oriented, fun coworkers, many job opportunities if you're driven.
SEASONAL PART-TIME TEA GUIDE (Former Employee), CHurch adn Wellesley TorontoJanuary 25, 2015
Pros: 50% discount, friends and family coupon benefits, friendly job culture
Cons: if you don't like to talk a lot i suggest you're in for a hard time.
Depending on how busy a store is, and mine was not really at all- hours can suck butt. But that happens with any establishment. For all the goods you upsell there isn't even a commission bonus to encourage sales, or make up for miniscule paycheck if you're working only once a week..
Fun work environment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 21, 2014
This job taught me time management skills and how to give effective feedback to my peers. It also taught me how to be a boss that is receptive and humanistic.
Tasks and duities
Data Entry Adminstrator (Current Employee), Montréal, QCJune 29, 2014
Pros: 50 percent off item for staff
Cons: unforseen overtime
Davids Tea is an exemplary company. I learned a lot about excel and other PC programs. Management at my particular location was a 2 out of 10. My co-workers were awesome. Finishing tasks or duties on time was a battle at times. I enjoyed interacting with staff on new projects.
Productive and friendly work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 24, 2014
Pros: free tea to drink while working, 50% off everything in store
Cons: more on-call shifts/week than guarenteed scheduled hours
Typical day includes greeting customers with a complimentary sample of the "tea of the day," asking open-ended questions to assess and address the needs of customers (example: are they looking for loose leaf tea to take home, a way to infuse loose leaf tea at home, a gift, or simply a cup of tea to enjoy), ensuring that all products are fully stocked and accessible at all times, making specialty beverages, and ensuring that the establishment is clean and organized

I learned how to ask open-ended questions, and how to ask for help when I need it.
productive fun workplace
❸ Hired on as part time employee (Current Employee), calgary albertaJune 21, 2014
good for part time employment, minimum salary and no chance for advancement in workplace.
Decent pay, easy job, too high of expectations
Tea Guide (Former Employee), vancouverMay 22, 2014
pros
-good discount for part time staff
-generally easy tasks
-decent pay wage

cons
-too high expectations
-takes a lot of energy out of you during your shift to always be smiling and chipper towards your customers
-management plays favourites
Great Company with terrible managers
Keyholder/Tea guide (Former Employee), Edmonton,AbMay 13, 2014
You don't quit a job, you quit your manager and thats exactly what I did when I left my job at davidsteas even though I loved it. Advancement in the company was constantly sabotaged by my managers, and even though I was a dedicated 30 hr +/week employee with the company for over a year I received NO benefits... only my manger got those. Overall, DT IS a fun place to work, if you're a student who isn't looking to make it your career. They need to take better care of the people they hire and NOT just management.
Fun workplace with co-workers, but no room to grow and no trust from Management
Store Manager (Former Employee), Peterborough, ONApril 21, 2014
Pros: great employees, fun interacting with customers
Cons: long hours, not much incentives or compensation, no room to advance
A fun environment when you have great co-workers and fun customers to interact with. The products are fun, and there was a good discount. However, there was little opportunity for advancement, and there was no trust in employees from upper management. Hard to have creative freedom from upper management.
Make me a Manager!
Tea Guide (Former Employee), Prince George, BCApril 16, 2014
Pros: free tea, the best people, inclusive dress code policy, encouraging corporate environment
Cons: better bring good shoes
I absolutely loved working for DAVIDsTEA! The corporate culture is amazing; they are easy-going but not unprofessional and you can expect lots of encouragement all along the way. In fact, I will gladly return as soon as they offer me a store management position.
Incredible customer expirence
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 24, 2014
Pros: lovely customers, being around tea constantly, employee discount
Cons: lack of hours to work, difficult to advance positions
I adored DAVIDsTEA while I worked there. With a fun atmosphere and exciting customers there was never a day that I did not genuinely smile. My duty as a Tea Brista was to aid customers in finding the tea and tea accessories for them as well helping them learn more about the beverages they love. I also maintained a clean work environment and would keep my stations sanitary from opening to close. The only issue I found with this job was the lack of hours I was receiving, lack of ability to advance in my position, as well as difficulty of transportation to and from the location and unfortunately because of these combined with personal reasons, I could not stay. On the other hand I highly recommend it to others searching for a enjoyable and valued experience.
Best job I've ever had.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Church StJanuary 24, 2014
I wish I had stayed on after Seasonal. What a great place. Literally not a bad thing about it, except my time there was too short.
A place full of great ibes and positive energy.
"Tea Guide" -sales associate and barista (Current Employee), Penticton, BCJanuary 4, 2014
Pros: free tea while you're working, and a lovely discount
Cons: there are none!
Amazing job!! The people are great, management is so friendly and our customers are always amazing.
High energy sales workplace with incredible standards for customer service
Tea Guide/Sales Representitive (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONDecember 17, 2013
I absolutely love working at DAVIDsTEA! Managers are relatable and professional, and encourage you to understand the product by trying out new teas.
Fun workplace with great team atmosphere
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Thunder Bay, ONJuly 23, 2013
Pros: great product, staff, and customers
As the assistant manager I learned the following:
- Ordering stock