DAVIDsTEA Employee Reviews

Environnement motivant
Tea Guide (Current Employee) –  Mirabel, QC22 May 2017
Ambiance agréable et esprit d'équipe très puissant. Le fait de travailler avec des objectifs et des résultats à atteindre est très motivant.
Pros
Excellent rabais employé
Cons
Pause seulement accordée après 5h30
Engaging, caring and fresh place to work.
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 May 2017
You get to infuse peoples lives with joy. Work with lots of great products, and sip delicious tea while you work. Believe me, you will work hard. Its not that easy selling people tea.
Don't care about employees
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC5 May 2017
Worked in their distribution centre/packaging facility. Most workers are temporary, many working for years without actually being hired by the company. Pay is poor. Management is deaf to concerns and problems of employees. Years of hard work and loyalty go unrewarded. Facility is dirty and hot with rodents and equipment is sub-standard. Morale is generally low despite good coworkers. Company culture seems to consist of taking advantage of people.
Pros
You may make some friends.
Cons
You'll feel used and unappreciated
Fun place but expect a lot from staff
Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 May 2017
Fun place but expect a lot from staff, the pay is very low but good advancement within the company. The company has given me a lot of experience and an insight into management.
If you dont speak French Dont Join
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto Ontario23 April 2017
Fun working environment, however if you are not fully bilingual in French you will not grow with this company.

Great perks, free tea, engaging fun store environment, but disappointing growth opportunities
Fun job, shifty management
Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 March 2017
I worked there for nearly a year, putting up with a lot from a TERRIBLE manager who was WAY too stressed out because her managers were just as awful to her. Most of the reviews say this, but I can't stress it enough. The management is terrible here.

The job itself is so fun! Tea is delicious and when you get to have a good relationship with your customer (which only really happens when it's not busy), the conversation really makes the job worth it!

The company itself, however, still sketches me out. I had to often count my own hours to make sure I was being paid enough, was often asked to stay longer than the company would pay me for (quick tip, NEVER stay late unless you're getting paid to do it in retail), and when I quit I had to jump through hoops to get my vacation payout before I left. Now that I've nearly been gone a year I'm STILL jumping through hoops to try and get my last T4 from them which is honestly unacceptable.

I do miss my coworkers and the actual job, but I would never work for this company again.
Pros
fun job content, great coworkers
Cons
terrible company organization, bare minimum breaks, bad management
not appropriate workplace
Packer (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC15 March 2017
the most enjoyable part of the job was that it was a team work and I learned about packing and some tea flavors. But the workplace was too hot and there was no air conditioning. Also we had to stand on foot for hours, which was somehow challenging.
Productive and fun workplace
Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 March 2017
DAVIDsTEA provides a very fun, happy atmosphere that values inter-personal skills and self-management.

The company provides in-depth, paid training so now prior tea knowledge is required.
Pros
Free tea while on shift
Cons
Management is not always effective
environnement de travail
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC8 March 2017
Tres bon environnement de travail, car ma boutique était dans l'hopital juif,je devais ouvrir la boutique a 7h donc etre la chaque matin a 6h, jai beaucoup plus appris sur le coaching.
Cons
pas de pause et pas de soutien de mes superieurs
Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 February 2017
Such a great place to work I loved all the staff and the DavidsTea community. Unfortunately I had a job opportunity come up that I couldn't turn down and I had to leave DavidsTea.
Not what it used to be
Manager (Former Employee) –  Canada31 January 2017
Davidstea works hard to sell candidates on culture of the company, despite that the culture has dwindled to next to nothing over the last year. Changes in head office management and region management have been significant and turnover is increasing, store managers are under a lot of pressure and it trickles down to all staff. Customer service is not the focus anymore, just sales and targets.
Pros
50% discount, good coworkers.
Cons
No Work life balance, no motivation, aggressive regional managers, way too stressful for a retail job.
Very fun, great team, just felt let down
Key Holder / Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB12 January 2017
Learned a ton at DavidsTea, especially about coaching and putting my team ahead of me. Expectations are really high and sometimes wage doesn't quite match those. Left because I felt betrayed. Was promised raise when manager left on mat leave until replacement was found but then 2 weeks later was told I was not getting one, while already underpaid. Felt I had to leave. A shame.
Pros
Big employee discount
Cons
Regular but late hours
Gotta fit the scene
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ON22 December 2016
Awful!!! The training was a waste of time, they talked about the company and where/ why it came to be but no actual training on how to deal with customers, approach customers properly or in general how to interact.

Very pushy in sales and the greeting you musttttt all say hello when someone walks in and start off your speech about if they have ever been to the store before even if you kinda guess the customer is not into you helping them....

If you left them alone it was a huge no no (stupid i know)

Worst of all unless u were buddies with the manager, they would ignore the heck out of you and looked at you like you were stupid when you didnt have the same "hobbies"
Pros
Free 1 tea on shift, store smells good
Cons
Everything else
Free tea and great discounts
Tea Guide (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON16 December 2016
Quite a bit has changed since I first started working with the company. They went from privately owned to public which meant lots of rules changed and lots of management turnover.
Pros
FREE tea on shift & great discounts on tea and merchandise
Cons
high turnover of management
Sales manager
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 December 2016
Great culture, poor work life balance. Great opportunities of growth and career advancement.
A lot of shift work, great management and guidance
Pros
Great culture
Cons
Poor work life
Upper Management needs to train better.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 December 2016
I worked long hours and wasn't allowed to clock in for many of them. I was required to come in either 5 am or stay well past closing to do tasks the store was not willing to pay me for. The customers were fairly good. The upper management was awful. There was no support at all and the district manager at my location was vindictive, catty, and straight up mean. I enjoyed the employees I worked with because they were so kind and we were all able to bond. The pay was less than desirable, they asked my current wage and added 2 cents. If the District manager was having a bad day, She would take it out on you with no second thought. It was a toxic environment and left me mentally and emotionally exhausted. We were not allowed to reach out to the upper management with out getting in trouble from our District manager. I was written up for a mistake that I was never told about, and a mistake many people made, the DM made me fax in my own write up. It was humiliating. I was constantly told that I was a disposable piece of the store.
Pros
Friendly customers and most staff.
Cons
long unpaid hours, awful upper management, pay.
Fun company, but that's about it
Tea Guide (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 December 2016
When you first start this job, you think that's it going to be amazing with all this great training.
Then you get on the floor and realize that you're not actually trying to educate people and get to know them, you're pushing to sell them a product. I mean, really pushing. The sales tactics were almost forceful, leaving me and other Tea Guides uncomfortable at how we were supposed to approach customers.
Management is also fairly useless, with schedules given out only 3 days in advance and rarely around to enforce seemingly arbitrary policies they have invented. Between that and constantly leaving early or just not being present for important shipments or merchandise changes, the rest of the staff is left doing all the grunt work.
The only thing that saves this job is my fellow coworkers. They manage to hire some of the most amazing people to work with, but they are soon left disenchanted with the job because the amount of undue stress that is placed onto part-time employees.
They try to "build people up" by criticizing every aspect of your job performance and by strongly encouraging you to follow a flow-chart style script that turns you into the world's lamest actor.
Pros
Free tea, good discount on products, flexible hours, amazing coworkers
Cons
Poor management, nonsensical scheduling, pushy sales tactics, low wages, no room for advancement
Fun place to work if you are in need of part time, flexible work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  BC29 November 2016
The job requirements and wages don't match up, you often find yourself thinking "I don't get paid enough to work this hard". They are good for training their staff to advance in the company.
productive and fun workplace
SEASONAL TEA GUIDE (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 November 2016
My experience when working with DavidsTea was amazing. I definitely loved working there and building connections with my coworkers and our customers. The hardest part of the job was organization when I was being trained. I still needed help when making drinks and it was still confusing. The management team needs to focus on that aspect of training.
Pros
free tea
Cons
lack of organization when training
Mostly poor management, Very pressured & demanding environment
Seasonal Sales Associate (Tea Guide) (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC21 October 2016
This job had very high expectations on pretty much anything and management communication was poor. Seasonal staff were treated with disregard.
Pros
Free tea, breaks, discounts, decent training
Cons
Poor management, pressured & demanding environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DAVIDsTEA. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8