Storage Administrator -- Must Have: Network Virualization, NetApp
Start Date: 11/04/2013
End Date: 10/31/2014
Duration: 361 days.
Location: Auriga Drive, OTTAWA, ON
Responsible for the planning, implementation, and the highest level of performance tuning and recovery procedures for mission critical enterprise services. Serves as a technical expert in the area of system administration for complex Cloud, Infrastructure and legacy environments. Proactively recommends redesign and improvement opportunities of system applications, automation and operating systems. Investigates and analyzes feasibility of system requirements and develops system specifications. Identifies methods, solutions, and provides project leadership and management in order to provide a high level of service to internal customers.
- Manages day-to-day operations of BLACKIRON Data Cloud and host computer environments by monitoring system performance, configuration and maintenance.
- Ensures high availability and acceptable levels of performance of mission critical platforms.
- Ensures accurate recording of system downtime and equipment inventory.
- Install and build new platform environments.
- Proactively identify improvement opportunities within the BLACKIRON environment.
- Create/maintain scripting and/or light programming to facilitate automation within the environment. Provide cross training to peers and other internal groups for installed/as-built environments.
- Applies updates to host system applications, middleware, operating systems and firmware.
- Proactively provides continuous improvement input to BLACKIRON implementation, operational, security and testing plans to ensure operational reliability.
- Provides cross training for new software and hardware developed and/or acquired.
- Provides tier 3 supports related to platform environments - troubleshooting as required, taking ownership position in problem-solving efforts often involving our Network Operations team, outside vendors and other support personnel.
- Establishes and manages user accounts and access.
- Stays current with technological developments in systems administration technology and recommends ways for BLACKIRON Data to take advantage of new technology.
Positions in this classification may perform all or some of the responsibilities above and all positions perform other related duties as assigned.
Post-Secondary education in Information Technology field or demonstrated work experience.
5 years System Administration experience in complex Linux/Unix or Windows environment with a preference for integrated UNIX and Microsoft environments.
Service Provider experience would be an asset.
Advanced knowledge of OS platforms in a service delivery mode (server side applications) Knowledge of: Programming languages and operating systems; current equipment and technologies in use; Unix system administration, enterprise backup and recovery procedures, and system performance monitoring tools; effective project management techniques; principles and practices of effective management and supervision.
KNOLEDGE AND TECHNICAL SKILLS
- Advanced Unix/Linux/Solaris knowledge
- Advanced knowledge of Internet protocols (i.e.: DNS, Radius, SMTP, IMAP, HTTP, NNTP, NTP, NFS, CIFS, SNMP, LDAP, etc.)
- Advanced troubleshooting skills.
- Strong knowledge of network security, firewalls and application filtering.
- Strong knowledge of TCP/IP & routing.
- Strong knowledge of VMware 4x/5x –or- Strong knowledge of Enterprise Storage management
- Strong knowledge of scripting or light programming (Bash, Tcl, Python, Perl, etc.)
- Working knowledge of database applications (i.e.: MySQL, Oracle, MSSQL, etc.)
- Working knowledge of SNMP and monitoring.
- Working knowledge of Enterprise Backup environments.