Danier Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Eh, could be better. But not bad.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), CanadaNovember 15, 2014
Pros: discount, commission, great coworkers, good sales
Cons: management, no room to grow, pressure to sell, low wages, dress code policy
Let me start out by saying that I've only worked here a few months and can already tell some problems with working in retail with this company.

When I first started, I was told I was going to be paid 9.74 plus a 2% commission, which is okay, but when you have to update your wardrobe and you're required to wear their leather and keep it updated, it gets costly, even with the discount.

That brings me to their strict dress code policy which I think is a bit insane. No tattoos, piercings (other than ears and can only max be two piercings per ear), you have to SHAVE, make-up is highly recommended, and season by season they choose for you what you wear, down to what type of shoes to the colour of your clothing. You have to wear one piece of leather at all times.
In their dress code policy video, they even show you how to do your hair properly, even how to curl it.
I think this is a bit much to ask for for a retail company who pays less than minimum wage and gets extremely slow in the summer months.

There is no individuality here unless you like wearing black all the time. I would highly recommend the company to look into uniforms. If you want your employees to wear your clothing and not have the hassle of sending people home, invest in some uniforms.

You definitely cannot get by on this job alone, and they complain when you get a secondary part-time job to make up for it as they always need open availability but will only put you on shifts about twice a week.

At first I really liked management, but as I continued to work a lot of the management were too-faced. I've had managers – more... complain to new comers about how well they DON'T work to their face, and many of the other backstabbing things said about other employees behind closed doors. I've even heard some things said by management about customers.

If you don't learn something right away, they look at you like you're stupid. I've come home crying a couple nights because I felt like I wasn't able to do my job properly, when they give you such a small time frame to work with to learn everything.

Pressure to sell is there, especially skin care. I'm not a terrible salesperson but I feel as if it's a constant struggle to sell it to a customer. Danier says they aren't pushy sales people, but THEY ARE!!!! They have everything down to a science.

On the flip side the majority of my coworkers are great to work with, as they're friendly and very helpful, unlike management. I enjoy working with them. If you're sick or unable to come in, at least two people are willing to take your shift which is nice. Building friendships are easy.

There's a few cute things in the store if you really look, especially since their target audience is 30-50 year old women and things can be a little... ugly for an 18-25 year old. Great sales, as I got a purse for 85% off on a sale weekend and sales can sometimes exceed employee discounts.

All in all if you have the extra time, want an extra part-time job on top of your full time one, or are still in high school, go for it. But if you want to grow within the company, or make this your full time thing, it's not going to be for you. – less
12 years sales/customer service, and this was the worst job I have ever had!
Sales (Former Employee), Toronto, OntarioJanuary 3, 2014
Pros: good discount, ways to earn money to go towards staff purchases, commission is good if you are a shark
Cons: long hours, unorganized, non-supportive management team, fights, high stress, low pay, unfair grading system, high turnover, 1 break in 8+ hour shift.
I worked at Danier in Toronto and overall, I hated it. I have over 12 years of retail experience and I was sold on Danier during the interview. But after a week there, I realized it was not what I thought it was at all. I was only there for a month and a half before I found something else and left.
The pay is LOWER than minimum wage. The commission is where you make your money, and you need to be extremely aggressive on the sales floor because you are graded on your performance. If you have a few bad weeks, your grade drops and if you cannot raise it, they will fire you. Point blank.
There were constant fights on the floor between staff "stealing" sales. Everyone who works there is desperate to sell, and it is a very high stress environment. The managers do not care about their staff at all. They often would trash talk other employees behind the front desk to each other. I found them very unprofessional and unorganized. I wasn't trained properly.
They have a very strict dress code. People were sent home to change or asked to go BUY something else in the mall if what they were wearing didn't meet their standards. On the schedule, a J was written when you were allowed to wear jeans. They didn't want everyone on the floor all wearing jeans. Chipped nail polish is not allowed. Hair and makeup must always be done. You must follow current trends. You cannot wear anything that isn't in season. You MUST be wearing a current piece of leather from Danier at all times. YOU have to buy it.
During my 1.5 months there, I was the 15th employee at that store to leave. 9 quit (including myself) – more... and 6 were fired. Highest turn over rate I have ever seen.
If you are looking for a sales job at Danier, good luck! You better be willing to fight for it, literally. – less
Lovely place to work
Danier Sales Agent (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMay 4, 2012
-A typtical day at Danier,starts by signing the Gear up(information about what is expected to have a successful day:Sales goals,new promotions,new merchandise,mark ups and downs and also incentives for indivduals and the store as a whole ).
-Danier is a very Customer oriented company,which is lived out in the Company's Mission Statement and the five core values:which in summary making the Customer fill good about themselves. I learnt superior Customer service,Opening the sale,FAB(ing) of the Product and Closing the sale.
FAB :Feature
Advantage
Benefit of the product
-Management in Danier is Excellent,there's accessiblity to management and management does a good job for delegation(everyone knows what is required to be done)
-Co-workers like a family (and as my store manager will say "I have a great team") and diversified people from all parts of the world.
-Hardest part of the job is cleaning up after messy customers when its so busy (customers who throw jackets everywhere),its quite a big store and trying to keep up with customers who try to play a fast one by shoplifting jackets regardless of sensors,causing a distraction and racing out of the store.
-Making the sale and the customer is pleased and takes time to go online to give good comments about your service.
Terrible Management with Terrible Shift Hours
Part Time (Former Employee), Metropolis at Metrotown, Burnaby, BCDecember 14, 2014
Pros: good discount, commission if you are a casual, friends and family appreciate discount
Cons: standing for too long, pushy managers, strict dress code, stuck up managers, on call shifts
Typical day at work: restocking, cashier, sales associate

Management: terrible shift hours, get sent home if they don't need you.. do NOT put me on schedule if you don't need me in the first place! Store manager was awesome, co manager was a pain in the butt. Pushy co manager who kept telling me to do this and this while I was busy even though the co manager told me to only sell throughout the day.

What I learned: do not apply for a position where you aren't guaranteed what you want

Co-workers: Such nice co workers, commission does kill the friendly-ness while you are doing sales

Hardest part of the job: Getting pushed around when you're told to do one thing but another wants you to do the complete opposite and you have to manage both without them thinking you have a negative attitude and personality
Great company to work for, lots of incentives.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Kingston, ONSeptember 8, 2012
Pros: incentives, commission, weekly coaching/development, growth opportunities
Cons: micro-managed, extremely high standards, very strict dress code, tons of gossip and drama.
Overall the company is fantastic, weekly and monthly contests within the company. VERY customer oriented which is good. now as far as management, some district managers are extremely nice and a few are just on a power trip and very inconsistent with feedback. The hardest part of the job was having to deal with your DM breathing down your neck constantly, very micro-managed. There is also a substantial amount of gossip and drama within certain regions and districts. The most enjoyable part was dealing with the customers, when customers purchase leather jackets it is based on 80% emotional and 20% functional/Practical. Seeing a customer smile when they try on a jacket makes selling worth it.
Fun yet Competitive Workplace Environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Barrie, ONApril 13, 2014
Pros: commission
Cons: grading system
In a typical day it is one's duty to keep up with personal sales targets and compete with coworkers for making a sale with customers. I learned a great deal of selling with this retail experience and greatly benefitted me as now when I shop I look at the finer detail of the product before purchasing.
Policies created by Head Office and district managers seemed unrealistic and sometimes inappropriate to the situation, not necessarily for the customers, but for the employees. Coworkers were fantastic to work with, unless they had a negative mood which affected the selling in the store.
The hardest part of the job was closing a sale. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the customer leave the store with a smile on their face, as you hope they will return for more shopping. Making valued customers is key.
Great Company
Customer service/ Key holder (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 11, 2014
Pros: co-workers, friendly atmosphere, company contests/inscentives
Cons: slow in summer, store goals
I really did like working for Danier Leather!

Working in this sort of team environment is really great, I loved the team I worked with and I enjoyed the little company wide competitions as well. Made working and achieving goals more fun.

When I started in November it was a challenge because Christmas sales were already starting but with the senior sellers helping me, I did really well to learn the computer system and other little tips and tricks as well as sales strategies.

The most enjoyable part of my job was when I could make a customer happy either by explaining the leather care kits to them for their leather pieces at home or helping them into a brand new leather jacket that they'll love forever and that will stand the test of time.
Exciting work environment.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Oakville, ONMarch 20, 2013
Pros: danier "dollars"
Cons: standing the entire shift.
A typical day at Danier Leather, depending on the time of year, is a fast paced fashion industry, selling genuine leather with excellent customer service. I have learned over my years working with sales, a commission based work environment will push you that extra mile to show my strengths in sales. Management can be stressful, only when it comes to reaching budget, which is completely normal in any type of sales job. Working as a team member couldn't be more rewarding, getting tasks finished by deadlines working as a team or individually. The hardest part of the job is reaching quotas when they are extremely high in the "quite seasons". The most enjoyable part is helping customers find exactly what they are looking for, as well as, reaching my sales goal.
A fun, challenging place to work
Co­Manager (Current Employee), Kingston, ONNovember 8, 2015
Everyday I come to work with something new to discover. I work with all kinds of customers that not only are looking for a new jacket or product to buy but are also teaching me how to better my job.
I work on commission, so each day I learn a different approach on how to better my skills as an associate and as a co manager.
I look over 10 staff and work under the manager. I am in charge of doing payroll weekly, staff reviews which includes holding staff accountable for their weekly targets.
I have a weekly goal as well which challenges me and helps me work towards something everyday.
The most enjoyable part of the job is finding that perfect product for a customer and making sure they are leaving happy and returning again to purchase more.
Worked selling leather garments and their accessories.
Store Manager (Former Employee), West Vancouver, BCApril 18, 2013
Pros: had some really great staff and we sold a beautiful product.
Cons: sales associates did not get annual performance reviews or even semi annual performance reviews, they were weekly. as a result they never seemed to take them seriously.
A typical day, particularly during the winter months could be very busy with new stock arriving daily. As the store manager it was my job to ensure that the staff were putting out new stock and well as selling inventory. The challenges came when it would affect their sales, some sales associates got focused on processing and not on selling. As commissioned sales staff it was imperative that they find an equal balance between doing the stock and selling merchandise.
productive and great co-workers.
store sales (Former Employee), Brampton, ONJuly 25, 2012
Pros: cooperative co- workers
Cons: location
My work experience was more of a volunteer experience during the Christmas break, where I got paid for volunteering. It was a great experience because everyone was so nice to me and treated me like I was a permanent member of their team. I have gained a lot of experience and how to handle customers when they are in need, also Danier Leather was a great epitome in expressing how to promote store sales. The management was smooth and trouble free, and the entire team was blessed with a wonderful manager. All in all, my work experience at Danier was productive and it also helped me understand the physics of business.
Excellent staff and lively environment
Seasonal Maintenance and Customer Service (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 10, 2014
Working at Danier was a great learning experience since I did not know much about leather products prior to working here. I've learned how to approach and deal with customers while being part of the customer service crew. A typical day at work would be working in the stock room (fixing, sorting etc.) and working on the cash with the customer service crew when needed. Often I would help customers with the sizes and styles they wished for. The most enjoyable part of the job would definitely be working with the awesome crew and dealing with customers!
productive and fun environment to be at
Sales Representative and Key Holder (Former Employee), Hamilton OntarioFebruary 11, 2013
Pros: always room for improvement
Cons: handling customers
-making up goals for both yourself and the rest of the staff
-checking voicemials and replying back
-opening and closing both terminals
-recording float logs
-reviewing, shipping and sending out ready to sends, transfers
-changing the manniquens daily
-making sure staff was up to date with goals, promotions
-keeping a clean environment for customers to shop in
-dealing with situations that occured
-having a good eye and judgement for particular situations
-moditvating team members
Upper Management in Toronto is horrible
Senior Key Holder/CSR (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 8, 2013
I did not like working for the Ontario location, Edmonton proved otherwise. The Edmonton locations were amazing to the employees, respectful, understanding, on the other hand the Ontario locations had no advancement available, expected ridiculous tasks from the workers, and were rude. I don't know if they had different overall management, but the DM for the Ontario location I worked for what not an ideal candidate for the post, and the DM for Edmonton locations was so helpful, and critiqued in a positive way!

From this job I learned patience.
productive and friendly workplace
seasonal helper (Former Employee), Brampton, ONJuly 20, 2014
Pros: friendly environment
I helped at danier as a seasonal employee and this took place during the winter when there are more sales and the store needs help. My job was to help the customer if they needed any help with the right fitting or if they were not able to find something they needed. I also got to work in the back where i price checked and sorted out clothing to what goes where. my over all experience was good as it was my first job and I did get to learn a lot from it as to how to handle a customer, how to greet them and ask if they need help with anything.
Productive, Fun, and in Trend
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 29, 2013
Pros: good team
Cons: constantly on your feet
Open the store in the morning, check inventory, check stats, open doors, greet customers within 15 seconds of their arrival. Assist customers with price checks, choosing the right garment or product. Constantly checking our stats. Management is amazing works well with all the employees, and all employees work as a team. Since it is a commission job as a team we take turns assisting customers to ensure that it is equal. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping people feel great about themselves in our products.
fast paced environment with a great amount of competition which increases sales.
Key Holder/Manager in Training (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONSeptember 16, 2012
my position required me to work in a fast paced environment. I invested many hours into the company and in return I received bonuses and an opportunity to grow and gain experience. I had to work with customers and coworkers on the sales floor. I was responsible for calculating daily sales figures and reporting them to the district manager, as well as making monetary deposits to the bank every night. I loved my job even though it was very demanding and competitive.
my first real job
Customer Service (Former Employee), Rocky View, AlbertaApril 14, 2015
Pros: Good learning experience
Cons: not given many hours
I worked as a customer service associate. I have experience using a cash register for making sales, exchanges, returns, and entering customer information into the database. I worked as a part of a team at work with my fellow coworkers. I helped with wrapping/packaging up customer purchases, greeting customers in a polite and friendly manner, I assisted and made sales, and I helped stock and organize the store. I gained knowledge on types of leather, leather care, and fashion.
Meet new people every days
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONSeptember 13, 2013
Pros: get pay hourly plus commision
Cons: no break with in 4-5 hours shift.
-Taking care of customers needs including: looking for the right size of the garment, alterations, doing special orders, answering the phone, arranging sizes.
-I learned all the customers had different needs.
-The company is well organized.
-The co-workers are fun to work with.
-The hardest part of the job was can't find what customers are looking for.
-The most enjoyable part of the job was saw customer satisfied with the services and products.
Dynamic, fun, fast paced and social work environment, with strong team values.
Sales Associate & Key Holder (Former Employee), Winniprg, ManitobaSeptember 5, 2013
Pros: fun, great people to work with
Cons: you spend lots of money on clothes
Management is superb within this company.
Daily interactions and interpersonal skills. Having to sell and approach strangers I personally developed higher confidence.
Constant support and effort to help coach and build your skills, the management really takes an interest in you're personal sales development and how they can help you achieve your goals.