Danier

Danier Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
my first real job
Customer Service (Former Employee), Rocky View, AlbertaApril 14, 2015
Pros: Good learning experience
Cons: not given many hours
I worked as a customer service associate. I have experience using a cash register for making sales, exchanges, returns, and entering customer information into the database. I worked as a part of a team at work with my fellow coworkers. I helped with wrapping/packaging up customer purchases, greeting customers in a polite and friendly manner, I assisted and made sales, and I helped stock and organize the store. I gained knowledge on types of leather, leather care, and fashion.
wonderful company
Receptionist (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 2, 2015
Pros: great management
Cons: some heavy lifting
I loved working at Danier. It was a very busy reception area and I very much enjoyed this. So many things going on kept me on my toes! I enjoyed my co-workers very much and my managers were amazing. I had to leave to be a caregiver to a loved one and it was hard to say goodbye.
Retail
Manager (Former Employee), Brampton, ONApril 1, 2015
Pros: Discount of clothing
Cons: micromanagement
Work Independently
Physically Demanding
Mix of both chaotic and quiet
Cleaning
Customer Service
Problem Solving
Productive Fun Enviroment
Part-time Key Holder and Sales Lead (Current Employee), Markham, ONMarch 3, 2015
Pros: danier employee dollars
Enjoy working there as a part-time sales lead. Management is great and well understanding, they make the environment welcoming to all staff new and old.
fun workplace
Key Holder/ Sales associate (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 25, 2015
While working at Danier leather, I learned how to do payroll. Make schedules. Love my co-workers, we became great friends.
Fun workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONFebruary 24, 2015
A vibrant workplace where a peoples person can thrive.
Management is extremely polite and encourages you to be productive.
Productive and healthy working environment.
Customer Service (seasonal) (Former Employee), St.Johns, NLFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Danier is a great place to begin any career.

The culture is wonderful and employees are encouraged to develop leadership qualities in everything they do.
Hours
Customer Service (Current Employee), Eaton CentreFebruary 9, 2015
Being a student, Danier was always cautious of the students schedules and made sure they could accommodate us. But when leather season is done, the hours get cut.
Great Company to grow with
Regional Trainer (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: generous employee discount, company culture
I am lucky to say I have had the most wonderful opportunity to grow with Danier. I have seen first hand what it is to advance in my career, and have seen many others do the same. There is a wonderful company culture that includes valued feedback from frontline associates, to rewards for hard work.
Great Workplace
Store Manager (Former Employee), Edmonton and CalgaryFebruary 3, 2015
Danier Leather gave me the opportunity to grow within the company, to develop my leadership skills, and to meet great people.
we do alot of work and but the pay is not great
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 31, 2014
Pros: discount is great
Cons: long hours and only a 30 break no matter how long you work and we also don't get consistent hours
it's not a bad job but it's a career for me just a survival job until i can find something better
Terrible Management with Terrible Shift Hours
Part Time (Former Employee), Metropolis at Metrotown, Burnaby, BCDecember 14, 2014
Pros: good discount, commission if you are a casual, friends and family appreciate discount
Cons: standing for too long, pushy managers, strict dress code, stuck up managers, on call shifts
Typical day at work: restocking, cashier, sales associate

Management: terrible shift hours, get sent home if they don't need you.. do NOT put me on schedule if you don't need me in the first place! Store manager was awesome, co manager was a pain in the butt. Pushy co manager who kept telling me to do this and this while I was busy even though the co manager told me to only sell throughout the day.

What I learned: do not apply for a position where you aren't guaranteed what you want

Co-workers: Such nice co workers, commission does kill the friendly-ness while you are doing sales

Hardest part of the job: Getting pushed around when you're told to do one thing but another wants you to do the complete opposite and you have to manage both without them thinking you have a negative attitude and personality
Eh, could be better. But not bad.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), CanadaNovember 15, 2014
Pros: discount, commission, great coworkers, good sales
Cons: management, no room to grow, pressure to sell, low wages, dress code policy
Let me start out by saying that I've only worked here a few months and can already tell some problems with working in retail with this company.

When I first started, I was told I was going to be paid 9.74 plus a 2% commission, which is okay, but when you have to update your wardrobe and you're required to wear their leather and keep it updated, it gets costly, even with the discount.

That brings me to their strict dress code policy which I think is a bit insane. No tattoos, piercings (other than ears and can only max be two piercings per ear), you have to SHAVE, make-up is highly recommended, and season by season they choose for you what you wear, down to what type of shoes to the colour of your clothing. You have to wear one piece of leather at all times.
In their dress code policy video, they even show you how to do your hair properly, even how to curl it.
I think this is a bit much to ask for for a retail company who pays less than minimum wage and gets extremely slow in the summer months.

There is no individuality here unless you like wearing black all the time. I would highly recommend the company to look into uniforms. If you want your employees to wear your clothing and not have the hassle of sending people home, invest in some uniforms.

You definitely cannot get by on this job alone, and they complain when you get a secondary part-time job to make up for it as they always need open availability but will only put you on shifts about twice a week.

At first I really liked management, but as I continued to work a lot of the management were too-faced. I've had managers – more... complain to new comers about how well they DON'T work to their face, and many of the other backstabbing things said about other employees behind closed doors. I've even heard some things said by management about customers.

If you don't learn something right away, they look at you like you're stupid. I've come home crying a couple nights because I felt like I wasn't able to do my job properly, when they give you such a small time frame to work with to learn everything.

Pressure to sell is there, especially skin care. I'm not a terrible salesperson but I feel as if it's a constant struggle to sell it to a customer. Danier says they aren't pushy sales people, but THEY ARE!!!! They have everything down to a science.

On the flip side the majority of my coworkers are great to work with, as they're friendly and very helpful, unlike management. I enjoy working with them. If you're sick or unable to come in, at least two people are willing to take your shift which is nice. Building friendships are easy.

There's a few cute things in the store if you really look, especially since their target audience is 30-50 year old women and things can be a little... ugly for an 18-25 year old. Great sales, as I got a purse for 85% off on a sale weekend and sales can sometimes exceed employee discounts.

All in all if you have the extra time, want an extra part-time job on top of your full time one, or are still in high school, go for it. But if you want to grow within the company, or make this your full time thing, it's not going to be for you. – less
Canadian Leather Company
Sales Lead (Current Employee), Dixie MallOctober 20, 2014
Pros: product discounts and incentives
Cons: long hours, standing
Responsible for setting and obtaining sales targets.
Sales Associate
Sales Leader
Fashion Ambassador
Not the best place
Customer Service (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 29, 2014
Management shows favouritism. One person has a majority of the work.
Stressful
Customer Service Representative (Seasonal) (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONAugust 21, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: stressful
The salary was good for a retail job, but the job itself was mentally stressful and demanding. For what was expected of us, management was not very understanding, and they treated us like robots.
Awesome place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONAugust 19, 2014
Pros: easy
Cons: slow
When you work with the right people, it is an enjoyable experience to work. Around the winter time, you earn much more, whereas it can be very slow during the summer. The job is pretty easy if you have good communicational skills and my manager was great.
poorly skilled management procedures
Assistant Distribution Supervisor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 18, 2014
Pros: discount policy for employees
Cons: abusive authority and behaviour towards subordinate staff
A lot of room in this company to improve at Management and Director 's levels .Very uncomfortable atmosphere for good workers to be at.
Great Company
Customer service/ Key holder (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 11, 2014
Pros: co-workers, friendly atmosphere, company contests/inscentives
Cons: slow in summer, store goals
I really did like working for Danier Leather!

Working in this sort of team environment is really great, I loved the team I worked with and I enjoyed the little company wide competitions as well. Made working and achieving goals more fun.

When I started in November it was a challenge because Christmas sales were already starting but with the senior sellers helping me, I did really well to learn the computer system and other little tips and tricks as well as sales strategies.

The most enjoyable part of my job was when I could make a customer happy either by explaining the leather care kits to them for their leather pieces at home or helping them into a brand new leather jacket that they'll love forever and that will stand the test of time.
productive and friendly workplace
seasonal helper (Former Employee), Brampton, ONJuly 20, 2014
Pros: friendly environment
I helped at danier as a seasonal employee and this took place during the winter when there are more sales and the store needs help. My job was to help the customer if they needed any help with the right fitting or if they were not able to find something they needed. I also got to work in the back where i price checked and sorted out clothing to what goes where. my over all experience was good as it was my first job and I did get to learn a lot from it as to how to handle a customer, how to greet them and ask if they need help with anything.

1 2 3