Under the direction of the Senior Human Resources Manager the Human Resources Associate is responsible for the administration of the Canadian payroll, benefit plans including Pension and WSIB, participating as an active member on the JHSC and the Social Committee, assisting with the recruitment & selection process, reporting on HR metrics and other general HR duties and projects.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Payroll & Benefit administration.
- Prepares and administers weekly payroll for all Canadian employees, while auditing payroll processing reports for accuracy.
- Ensures that all salaries and hourly wages are paid accurately and in a timely fashion to all company employees, contractors, and board members.
- Processes required documents through payroll and insurance providers to ensure accurate record keeping and proper deductions.
- Administers STD claims by preparing forms and providing information to employees. managers and insurance company; includes facilitating return to work dates.
- Prepares journal entries and forms, such as records of employment, income tax forms, WSIB remittances and tracks CRA account balances.
- Prepares new employee files and maintains detailed records and documentation for audit purposes, in accordance with legal requirements
- Implements salary increases, bonuses, commissions in accordance with instructions
- Handles employee inquiries about payroll and benefits.
- Ensures pay and insurable benefit records are accurate and up to date.
- Tracks vacation and attendance data for payroll and HR purposes.
- Administers the Canadian health and pension plans including paying monthly premiums, enrolling new members, inputting changes, and terminations.
- Pays the weekly 401k pension plan deductions to the US Insurance company.
- Processes year end reports for Canada including T4’s and year-end adjustments.
2. Health and Safety
- Sits on the JHSC committee and participates in meetings and inspections
- Maintains a working knowledge of local, provincial workplace health and safety regulations and participates in local safety groups.
- Identifies company safety issues and assists in developing policies and procedures.
- Tracks and coordinates safety training programs and maintains records.
- Enrolls new employees and summer students in WHMIS online training, and Bill 168 online training.
- Reviews and investigates all workplace accident and injury reports and follows up as necessary including providing reports to the JHSC.
- Maintains proper inventory of items for First Aid Kits and submits lists of items for purchase
- Files appropriate forms with WSIB when there has been a workplace accident and facilitates return to work.
- Creates quarterly reports on safety data including number of accidents and amount of lost time and submits to senior management.
3. Recruitment and selection of new employees.
- Work with external recruiting agencies as needed to ensure top candidates are selected at the best price possible.
- Screens and sorts resumes for posted positions
- Conducts telephone screening of potential candidates and sets up interviews
- Interviews candidates and assists in the selection process
- Checks prospective employee references or arranges 3rd party back ground checks
- Tracks candidate information as needed
4. HR Reporting/Administration
- Creates reports on monthly HR metrics such as turnover, new hires, absenteeism etc.
- Maintains human resource data bases for terminations and manual filing systems.
- Assists with the preparation of communications and correspondence.
- Assists with tracking the performance review process.
- Assists in writing HR policy and procedures
- Other duties as assigned
5. Employee Relations
- Serves as a link between management and employees by handling questions, listening to concerns, interpreting and administering policy and helping resolve problems.
- Provides current and prospective employees with information about policies, job duties, working conditions, wages, and opportunities for promotion and employee benefits.
6. Social Committee
- Creates and maintains yearly budget for social events
- Sits on the committee and assists with planning, carrying out Social Events/ selling tickets as needed.
Must have a University education preferably in Business or Human Resource Management and have or be working towards their CHRP designation.
Must have 3 years experience in the areas of payroll and benefit administration, health & safety, employment law and recruiting and be proficient in MS Word and Excel. Experience using crystal reporting would be considered an asset.
- Ability to communicate in a clear and effective manner both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize workload.
- Ability to research and analyze new programs and policies.
- Ability to develop new ideas to improve current programs and policies.
- Ability to work collaboratively and problem-solve.
- Ability to deal discreetly with sensitive and confidential information.
The Human Resources Associate works in an office setting and regularly visits the warehouse area. The individual spends most of his/her time in a seated position at the computer.