Dalhousie University Employee Reviews

good employer
Medicinal Chemist (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS7 June 2016
I worked at Dalhousie University full-time (More than 5 years). It is really a nice place to work and nice city to live. Great colleagues and co-workers. The kind of work we do, teaching and research, is meaningful and fruitful.The benefits are fantastic and I really feel valued as an employee here. Dalhousie University is such a close knit community and you get to interact with so many great people. It is behind many peer institutions in terms of infrastructure and key resources (student services, etc) because of budget challenges. It receives only half of its funding from government (compared to 75% in Alberta or SK), which means it relies heavily on student tuition for everything.
Self managed
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS17 October 2016
Flexible work schedule, self managed pace, friendly staff, good pension benefits, good location and amenities. Enjoy working downtown, parking is a nightmare.
Ok
Instructional Designer (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS17 May 2016
It is a good place to work. People are people everywhere, and this place is normal in that regard. Salary is a little above average for the region so that is a strong positive.
Great place
Anatomy Technician (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS17 October 2016
No complaints, wonderful institution. Positive and supportive management, supervisors and staff. It's hard to get on staff but if you do, you'll be lucky to be a part of their team.
good place to work
Retired (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS27 October 2016
always busy , good co-workers ,hardest part was being called in after reg. hours , most enjoyable was working with difference departments,mangement was hard to work with
Pros
union
its a good job for a little bit of side money
Dalhousie Student Union Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS6 May 2016
It was a good job and they were very flexible with my student schedules and Resident assistant duty shifts. Easy work and good work environment to be in.
Pros
good management
Cons
peak periods have you very occupied at times
Research assistant in Dalhousie
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Forrest buliding11 June 2016
As a research assistant, I spent most of my time on searching, categorizing, developing and answering the potential research questions. It was great because we had weekly meeting for evaluate the work progress and we shared the points which came to our minds with other members. Such an environment help members to feel they are in correct tract and also save time and energy for finishing the project. It was both independent and group working and during this work we needed to be able to manage our work and time with other members as well and sometimes I was responsible to manage the stuffs that are necessary for other team members (eg. providing tables, find original articles and choose them according our research criteria and sending them to other members). The best point of this job was that, there was an active dynamic atmosphere for learning besides working. And the most difficult part of the job for me was making framework and outlines for doing a research from beginning because it was a new project and to somewhat was a vague idea for me and I need to read before starting the work, although I was satisfied with this part at the end of work. the work, although I was satisfied with this part at the end of work.
Typical IT bodyshopper company . Less scope for career development .Resources are good and helpful. If you have project , everything is good .
Lab Assitant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS4 May 2016
New experience as a teaching assistant
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS10 October 2015
It is good thing to enter new job atmosphere. the salary was not enough even for rent however i needed to try such a part time job
good space to work
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Department of Engineering Mathematics20 June 2016
Worked as a teaching assistant to teach engineering math tutorial sections.
very good experience, you can serve for students and get well paid
improved public speaking skill and organized skill
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS11 April 2016
prepare class material (PPT, exercise questions) every week - improved organized and time management skills, each tutorial class improved public speaking skill
Flexible hours and aimed towards student lifestyle
Undergraduate Neuroscience/Psychology Proctor (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS1 April 2016
- Given enough responsibly to work independently or alongside professors and fellow students
- Allows students to become familiar with various professors in the Neuroscience/Psychology department and network
Pros
Pick your own hours
Cons
Not enough hours, too many employees
great place to learn and meet people
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS22 March 2016
My job as a Research assistant involved developing few mobile application as part of a research study. The workplace diversity in terms of the variety of projects people are working on is a great motivational factor and encourages one to learn more.
Pros
fun place
Fun to work
Student (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS26 February 2013
Teaching students was a fun part and new experience
Preparation of course outline, designing a network was fun part
Pros
learning experience
Cons
low salary
Great Culture, Better City
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dalhousie University2 March 2016
Dalhousie is a very inclusive and welcoming organization. They go above and beyond to help both their students and employees.
Shift operator in Physical plant
Control Room Operator (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS20 August 2013
12 hour rotational shifts (days, nights and weekends). Rounds of plant every 2 hours, customer service needs (heat and HVAC), water treatment testing/operations and starting up plant in blackout/emergency periods. Management was confident in our abilities and did not micro-manage every single thing and let us 'take care of business'. Management as also pro-active in training and keeping plant up-to-date.
Pros
Job security and overall workplace attitudes.
Cons
Rotational shift work (nights and weekends), vacation allotment, so-so pay scale.
About Work
Graduate Project - Industrial engineer (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS6 September 2015
• Ability to understand and design modern safety control systems and to understand and troubleshoot machine problems
• Proficient in 5’s, continuous improvement, Kaizen, Six Sigma (DMAIC & DMADV), Value Stream Mapping, TPM, Line balancing, Cycle Time Reduction, FMEA (Design and Process), Design Verification Plan and report & ISO Standards.
• Over 2 year of experience in reducing and/or eliminating unplanned downtime on equipment.
• Responsible for the identification, development and implementation of continuous improvement techniques and best practices focused on improvements in Safety, Quality, Delivery and Productivity
Productive and easy work
Audio Visual Technician (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS26 December 2015
The best thing about Dalhousie is the work hours which are pretty relaxed. Here you get to meet a lot of faculty members and learn something new everyday. The co workers are really helpful and provide great support.
Offering you thousands of free sources for your researches
Research/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS5 December 2015
As a research assistant, you will have my own study area (a table in a lab with a good computer) and you can reach any online source for free for your researches. People are there awesome, everybody is helpful
Bullying occurred regularly
Visa and Electives Clerk (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS16 September 2015
Here is make take on my last job at Dalhousie:

My supervisor got away with bullying me on a regular basis and I had to take medical leave because of it. The managing director didn't do anything to stop him.

I did not enjoy working there at all. The people who had been there for many years treated newcomers like second class citizens.

Someone else may disagree but this is my perception of this institution.

4.3