Dalhousie University Employee Reviews

Excellent work environment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS17 June 2017
Staff is very supportive of new teachers and helped along the way. Would gihly consider for future employments again, Difficult to find such another work envronment like this one.
Dynamic
HR Specialist (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS10 June 2017
Healthy dynamic work environment in a fast changing ever evolving academic environment. Teams were healthy to work with broader university community open to knew ideas and to evolution of change in HR/OD Practice.
Medical research
Research Technician/Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS, Canada4 June 2017
There was a lot of intensive work based on deadlines. I participated in moving the entire research laboratory across United states and setting up the laboratory at the new location. It was successfully done.
Great management with good hours.
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS29 May 2017
As far as student jobs come, this is one that can not be beat. The management staff in the Conference Services department are all fantastic and efficient. The training is very consistent amongst all of the buildings so everyone is brought up to the same level.
Pros
great staff, good pay
Cons
long hours, backshift
Fun workplace with friendly coworkers
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS7 May 2017
Great place to build networks, and opportunity to learn. Very friendly, cheerful, and hardworking co-workers with motivation to succeed and provide best work.
Fun place to work
IT Analyst (Student Navigator) (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS2 May 2017
Brilliant and knowledgeable colleagues.
Learn new stuff each day.
Meet new people.
Get to know different hardware problems and how to solve them.
Long phone queues to work.
Pros
short hours
Skills attained
Student (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS4 April 2017
Student - Materials engineering student. Studies focused on lab testing and material characteriztion of mechanical and physical properites.

Demonstrate extensive knowledge on precise topics.
Marker (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS27 March 2017
I'm just a marker at Dalhousie, so my review might not be very relevant for most of you. I just mark assignments, quizzes and exams, so I don't really deal with many people. It's very flexible and the hourly pay is fine as I'm still a student.
good place to gain experience
Proctor (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS4 March 2017
Working at university has an advantage that your classes are just a walking distance within the job location and that proctor position is a very calm and not stressful job you just got to manage checking in on students and keep track of when each student finishes their exam.
Pros
easy job
Cons
short hours
Dalhousie
Representative for Class (Current Employee) –  Dalhousie Mills, ON22 February 2017
• Created test plans and developed protocols for testing software to be used on production equipment
• Worked closely with consultants to develop FMEA (Failure Mode and Effect Analysis) tests
• Wrote test plans, testing summaries, testing procedures and measure of performance for prototypes
• Collaborated with the Engineering Test Department to create challenging conditions for field testing of prototypes
• Wrote detailed daily reports outlining prototype performance, issues and maintenance
• Demonstrated ability to learn and adapt to different harvesting practices using various types of equipment
Easy Going and Enjoyable
TEACHING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS30 January 2017
Instructing students on proper experimental procedures and techniques. Assisted in supervising students while writing exams and helped with marking of lab reports. Overall a very enjoyable place to work.
Good University
Residence assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS20 December 2016
Dalhousie University is a great university which I thoroughly enjoyed my time obtaining my education. I would recommend it to other prospective students.
good place to work
Retired (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS27 October 2016
always busy , good co-workers ,hardest part was being called in after reg. hours , most enjoyable was working with difference departments,mangement was hard to work with
Pros
union
Great place
Anatomy Technician (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS17 October 2016
No complaints, wonderful institution. Positive and supportive management, supervisors and staff. It's hard to get on staff but if you do, you'll be lucky to be a part of their team.
Self managed
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS17 October 2016
Flexible work schedule, self managed pace, friendly staff, good pension benefits, good location and amenities. Enjoy working downtown, parking is a nightmare.
good space to work
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Department of Engineering Mathematics20 June 2016
Worked as a teaching assistant to teach engineering math tutorial sections.
very good experience, you can serve for students and get well paid
Research assistant in Dalhousie
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Forrest buliding11 June 2016
As a research assistant, I spent most of my time on searching, categorizing, developing and answering the potential research questions. It was great because we had weekly meeting for evaluate the work progress and we shared the points which came to our minds with other members. Such an environment help members to feel they are in correct tract and also save time and energy for finishing the project. It was both independent and group working and during this work we needed to be able to manage our work and time with other members as well and sometimes I was responsible to manage the stuffs that are necessary for other team members (eg. providing tables, find original articles and choose them according our research criteria and sending them to other members). The best point of this job was that, there was an active dynamic atmosphere for learning besides working. And the most difficult part of the job for me was making framework and outlines for doing a research from beginning because it was a new project and to somewhat was a vague idea for me and I need to read before starting the work, although I was satisfied with this part at the end of work. the work, although I was satisfied with this part at the end of work.
good employer
Medicinal Chemist (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS7 June 2016
I worked at Dalhousie University full-time (More than 5 years). It is really a nice place to work and nice city to live. Great colleagues and co-workers. The kind of work we do, teaching and research, is meaningful and fruitful.The benefits are fantastic and I really feel valued as an employee here. Dalhousie University is such a close knit community and you get to interact with so many great people. It is behind many peer institutions in terms of infrastructure and key resources (student services, etc) because of budget challenges. It receives only half of its funding from government (compared to 75% in Alberta or SK), which means it relies heavily on student tuition for everything.
Ok
Instructional Designer (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS17 May 2016
It is a good place to work. People are people everywhere, and this place is normal in that regard. Salary is a little above average for the region so that is a strong positive.
its a good job for a little bit of side money
Dalhousie Student Union Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS6 May 2016
It was a good job and they were very flexible with my student schedules and Resident assistant duty shifts. Easy work and good work environment to be in.
Pros
good management
Cons
peak periods have you very occupied at times

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dalhousie University. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval