Dalhousie University Employee Reviews

Research assistant in Dalhousie
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Forrest bulidingJune 11, 2016
As a research assistant, I spent most of my time on searching, categorizing, developing and answering the potential research questions. It was great because we had weekly meeting for evaluate the work progress and we shared the points which came to our minds with other members. Such an environment help members to feel they are in correct tract and also save time and energy for finishing the project. It was both independent and group working and during this work we needed to be able to manage our work and time with other members as well and sometimes I was responsible to manage the stuffs that are necessary for other team members (eg. providing tables, find original articles and choose them according our research criteria and sending them to other members). The best point of this job was that, there was an active dynamic atmosphere for learning besides working. And the most difficult part of the job for me was making framework and outlines for doing a research from beginning because it was a new project and to somewhat was a vague idea for me and I need to read before starting the work, although I was satisfied with this part at the end of work. the work, although I was satisfied with this part at the end of work.
good employer
Medicinal Chemist (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSJune 7, 2016
I worked at Dalhousie University full-time (More than 5 years). It is really a nice place to work and nice city to live. Great colleagues and co-workers. The kind of work we do, teaching and research, is meaningful and fruitful.The benefits are fantastic and I really feel valued as an employee here. Dalhousie University is such a close knit community and you get to interact with so many great people. It is behind many peer institutions in terms of infrastructure and key resources (student services, etc) because of budget challenges. It receives only half of its funding from government (compared to 75% in Alberta or SK), which means it relies heavily on student tuition for everything.
Ok
Instructional Designer (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSMay 17, 2016
It is a good place to work. People are people everywhere, and this place is normal in that regard. Salary is a little above average for the region so that is a strong positive.
its a good job for a little bit of side money
Dalhousie Student Union Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSMay 6, 2016
It was a good job and they were very flexible with my student schedules and Resident assistant duty shifts. Easy work and good work environment to be in.
Pros
good management
Cons
peak periods have you very occupied at times
Typical IT bodyshopper company . Less scope for career development .Resources are good and helpful. If you have project , everything is good .
Lab Assitant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSMay 4, 2016
improved public speaking skill and organized skill
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSApril 11, 2016
prepare class material (PPT, exercise questions) every week - improved organized and time management skills, each tutorial class improved public speaking skill
Flexible hours and aimed towards student lifestyle
Undergraduate Neuroscience/Psychology Proctor (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSApril 1, 2016
- Given enough responsibly to work independently or alongside professors and fellow students
- Allows students to become familiar with various professors in the Neuroscience/Psychology department and network
Pros
Pick your own hours
Cons
Not enough hours, too many employees
great place to learn and meet people
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSMarch 22, 2016
My job as a Research assistant involved developing few mobile application as part of a research study. The workplace diversity in terms of the variety of projects people are working on is a great motivational factor and encourages one to learn more.
Pros
fun place
Great Culture, Better City
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dalhousie UniversityMarch 2, 2016
Dalhousie is a very inclusive and welcoming organization. They go above and beyond to help both their students and employees.
Productive and easy work
Audio Visual Technician (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSDecember 26, 2015
The best thing about Dalhousie is the work hours which are pretty relaxed. Here you get to meet a lot of faculty members and learn something new everyday. The co workers are really helpful and provide great support.
Offering you thousands of free sources for your researches
Research/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSDecember 5, 2015
As a research assistant, you will have my own study area (a table in a lab with a good computer) and you can reach any online source for free for your researches. People are there awesome, everybody is helpful
great university
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSOctober 29, 2015
it is not hard to be a TA at Dal if you are good at some courses. teacher is nice, and it is a good experience to review my knowledge and practise the communication skills
Good working environment with supportive management
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NovascotiaOctober 14, 2015
Understood working culture in Canada and different aspects of work environment in Human Resources and other departments.
New experience as a teaching assistant
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSOctober 10, 2015
It is good thing to enter new job atmosphere. the salary was not enough even for rent however i needed to try such a part time job
Bullying occurred regularly
Visa and Electives Clerk (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSSeptember 16, 2015
Here is make take on my last job at Dalhousie:

My supervisor got away with bullying me on a regular basis and I had to take medical leave because of it. The managing director didn't do anything to stop him.

I did not enjoy working there at all. The people who had been there for many years treated newcomers like second class citizens.

Someone else may disagree but this is my perception of this institution.
About Work
Graduate Project - Industrial engineer (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSSeptember 6, 2015
• Ability to understand and design modern safety control systems and to understand and troubleshoot machine problems
• Proficient in 5’s, continuous improvement, Kaizen, Six Sigma (DMAIC & DMADV), Value Stream Mapping, TPM, Line balancing, Cycle Time Reduction, FMEA (Design and Process), Design Verification Plan and report & ISO Standards.
• Over 2 year of experience in reducing and/or eliminating unplanned downtime on equipment.
• Responsible for the identification, development and implementation of continuous improvement techniques and best practices focused on improvements in Safety, Quality, Delivery and Productivity
Great Learning Experience
Instructional Technologies Support (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSSeptember 1, 2015
I got to work on the new learning management system for Dalhousie University. Help my coding skills in web development shape up. Great team work, friendly work area. Co-workers are nice and respectful.
Pros
Gain a lots of experience
Cons
Early mornings
Teaching French-speaking Canadians English
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSAugust 28, 2015
Lived on Dalhousie University Campus and was worked for the Explore Canada language emersion program. I Planned and developed curriculum for Journalism Module. I supported students of various ages and cultural backgrounds by finding an individual approach. I Conducted two daily workshops for students and was Chief Editor of two final publications
Easy going and stress free job.
Phonathon Fundraiser( Annual Funding Office) (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSJune 5, 2015
You learn some vital skills neccessary in every organisation. this includes integrity, honesty and a strong work ethic.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSApril 7, 2015
Very productive environment where pool of talented people are working. I benefited from this position technically with hand full of experience.

4.3