Dalhousie University Employee Reviews

Marker (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS27 March 2017
I'm just a marker at Dalhousie, so my review might not be very relevant for most of you. I just mark assignments, quizzes and exams, so I don't really deal with many people. It's very flexible and the hourly pay is fine as I'm still a student.
good place to gain experience
Proctor (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS4 March 2017
Working at university has an advantage that your classes are just a walking distance within the job location and that proctor position is a very calm and not stressful job you just got to manage checking in on students and keep track of when each student finishes their exam.
Pros
easy job
Cons
short hours
Dalhousie
Representative for Class (Current Employee) –  Dalhousie Mills, ON22 February 2017
• Created test plans and developed protocols for testing software to be used on production equipment
• Worked closely with consultants to develop FMEA (Failure Mode and Effect Analysis) tests
• Wrote test plans, testing summaries, testing procedures and measure of performance for prototypes
• Collaborated with the Engineering Test Department to create challenging conditions for field testing of prototypes
• Wrote detailed daily reports outlining prototype performance, issues and maintenance
• Demonstrated ability to learn and adapt to different harvesting practices using various types of equipment
Easy Going and Enjoyable
TEACHING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS30 January 2017
Instructing students on proper experimental procedures and techniques. Assisted in supervising students while writing exams and helped with marking of lab reports. Overall a very enjoyable place to work.
Good University
Residence assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS20 December 2016
Dalhousie University is a great university which I thoroughly enjoyed my time obtaining my education. I would recommend it to other prospective students.
good place to work
Retired (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS27 October 2016
always busy , good co-workers ,hardest part was being called in after reg. hours , most enjoyable was working with difference departments,mangement was hard to work with
Pros
union
Great place
Anatomy Technician (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS17 October 2016
No complaints, wonderful institution. Positive and supportive management, supervisors and staff. It's hard to get on staff but if you do, you'll be lucky to be a part of their team.
Self managed
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS17 October 2016
Flexible work schedule, self managed pace, friendly staff, good pension benefits, good location and amenities. Enjoy working downtown, parking is a nightmare.
good space to work
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Department of Engineering Mathematics20 June 2016
Worked as a teaching assistant to teach engineering math tutorial sections.
very good experience, you can serve for students and get well paid
Research assistant in Dalhousie
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Forrest buliding11 June 2016
As a research assistant, I spent most of my time on searching, categorizing, developing and answering the potential research questions. It was great because we had weekly meeting for evaluate the work progress and we shared the points which came to our minds with other members. Such an environment help members to feel they are in correct tract and also save time and energy for finishing the project. It was both independent and group working and during this work we needed to be able to manage our work and time with other members as well and sometimes I was responsible to manage the stuffs that are necessary for other team members (eg. providing tables, find original articles and choose them according our research criteria and sending them to other members). The best point of this job was that, there was an active dynamic atmosphere for learning besides working. And the most difficult part of the job for me was making framework and outlines for doing a research from beginning because it was a new project and to somewhat was a vague idea for me and I need to read before starting the work, although I was satisfied with this part at the end of work. the work, although I was satisfied with this part at the end of work.
good employer
Medicinal Chemist (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS7 June 2016
I worked at Dalhousie University full-time (More than 5 years). It is really a nice place to work and nice city to live. Great colleagues and co-workers. The kind of work we do, teaching and research, is meaningful and fruitful.The benefits are fantastic and I really feel valued as an employee here. Dalhousie University is such a close knit community and you get to interact with so many great people. It is behind many peer institutions in terms of infrastructure and key resources (student services, etc) because of budget challenges. It receives only half of its funding from government (compared to 75% in Alberta or SK), which means it relies heavily on student tuition for everything.
Ok
Instructional Designer (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS17 May 2016
It is a good place to work. People are people everywhere, and this place is normal in that regard. Salary is a little above average for the region so that is a strong positive.
its a good job for a little bit of side money
Dalhousie Student Union Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS6 May 2016
It was a good job and they were very flexible with my student schedules and Resident assistant duty shifts. Easy work and good work environment to be in.
Pros
good management
Cons
peak periods have you very occupied at times
Typical IT bodyshopper company . Less scope for career development .Resources are good and helpful. If you have project , everything is good .
Lab Assitant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS4 May 2016
improved public speaking skill and organized skill
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS11 April 2016
prepare class material (PPT, exercise questions) every week - improved organized and time management skills, each tutorial class improved public speaking skill
Flexible hours and aimed towards student lifestyle
Undergraduate Neuroscience/Psychology Proctor (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS1 April 2016
- Given enough responsibly to work independently or alongside professors and fellow students
- Allows students to become familiar with various professors in the Neuroscience/Psychology department and network
Pros
Pick your own hours
Cons
Not enough hours, too many employees
great place to learn and meet people
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS22 March 2016
My job as a Research assistant involved developing few mobile application as part of a research study. The workplace diversity in terms of the variety of projects people are working on is a great motivational factor and encourages one to learn more.
Pros
fun place
Great Culture, Better City
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dalhousie University2 March 2016
Dalhousie is a very inclusive and welcoming organization. They go above and beyond to help both their students and employees.
Productive and easy work
Audio Visual Technician (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS26 December 2015
The best thing about Dalhousie is the work hours which are pretty relaxed. Here you get to meet a lot of faculty members and learn something new everyday. The co workers are really helpful and provide great support.
Offering you thousands of free sources for your researches
Research/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS5 December 2015
As a research assistant, you will have my own study area (a table in a lab with a good computer) and you can reach any online source for free for your researches. People are there awesome, everybody is helpful

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dalhousie University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3