Dalhousie University Employee Reviews

Had a great time with hardworking professionals
IT Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS25 October 2017
I leaned a lot while working on different technologies. I learned everyday which includes routing protocol technologies, Site-to-Site VPN, DMVPN, IP Sec Gre tunnel etc.
Workplace is great everyone was so friendly and professional.
Dal
2nd Class Power Engineer (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS20 October 2017
have worked for Dal for over 35 years ......have had over 8 different bosses ..... some better than others lol .... but its not a bad place to work ... would still be there is i could take my pension
Pros
money is ok
Cons
always changing
Fun place to work
Project Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS5 October 2017
Fun place to work, got a huge learning experience, it increases your potential to learn new stuff and challenges you to push your limits and achieve the impossible.
Good job for students
Box Office Attendant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS21 September 2017
Pretty boring job but great for students. Allowed to do homework as long as there were no customers. Ability to pick up more shifts during busy times.
Volunteer position
Int'l Student Peer Support Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS10 September 2017
Helped international students improve their language capabilities and participated in the sharing of cultures. Reviewed resumes and gave tips for classes within the commerce program
It is great to be the part of DAL.
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS23 August 2017
A day at DAL starts in the early morning at sharp 8:30 am till late evening that usually consists of long theoretical and Lab lectures. It feels really good when you apply the concepts into the labs and understand the importance of them that seems boring during the theoretical lectures The best about the DAL are the exams that test our concepts not the memory capabilities but it is really important to have good time management to get the things done on time as we need to manage the equilibrium between professional and personal life. when I got my lab assistant-ship at DAL it gave me opportunities to help the students to have understanding of the concepts and for me to practice it to have better understanding. I am blessed to be the part of team that taught me how to enjoy responsibilities. when you taught a class it brings both challenge and joy as you deal with students of different skills level. Some of the students are good enough to understand the technical terms while sometimes you need analogue to help them to understand the concepts so learning chances is always there.
Pros
Supurb work culture
Cons
Hard to get many opportunities.
Average
Postdoctoral fellow (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS23 August 2017
As the university itself is a medium level univesrity it is difficult to expect the world class reputation. However based on the current available funding and infrastructure it can do far better than it is doing now.
Productive place to work for master's student working with bachelor's student
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS19 August 2017
I am a student in Dalhousie University (MASc-Mechanical-thesis) and I had job as a teacher's Assistant multiple terms, which refreshed my knowledge of the subjects like, Engineering Measurements, Solar engineering, etc.
Pros
More pay
Cons
Less hours given to work
Good job with potential objective for protecting health of people
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS8 July 2017
Interesting and hard research job. Good chance to gain more knowledge and experience. Good management and culture place. The toughest job is the relation between our work and the heath sector but its very interesting and potential work to save life of people and to save money and efforts.
Pros
Position to gain more knowledge, experience and work with great team
Cons
Small city
Excellent work environment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS17 June 2017
Staff is very supportive of new teachers and helped along the way. Would gihly consider for future employments again, Difficult to find such another work envronment like this one.
Dalhousie is a great place to work and the benefits are great!!
Resource Invoicing Clerk (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS13 June 2017
Love working here, have been here for 35 years.
There is lots to do and the people I work with are mostly good.
There is always a bad one at any work place. I would definitely recommend anyone to work here!!
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Can't think of any
Dynamic
HR Specialist (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS10 June 2017
Healthy dynamic work environment in a fast changing ever evolving academic environment. Teams were healthy to work with broader university community open to knew ideas and to evolution of change in HR/OD Practice.
Medical research
Research Technician/Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS, Canada4 June 2017
There was a lot of intensive work based on deadlines. I participated in moving the entire research laboratory across United states and setting up the laboratory at the new location. It was successfully done.
Great management with good hours.
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS29 May 2017
As far as student jobs come, this is one that can not be beat. The management staff in the Conference Services department are all fantastic and efficient. The training is very consistent amongst all of the buildings so everyone is brought up to the same level.
Pros
great staff, good pay
Cons
long hours, backshift
Fun workplace with friendly coworkers
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS7 May 2017
Great place to build networks, and opportunity to learn. Very friendly, cheerful, and hardworking co-workers with motivation to succeed and provide best work.
Fun place to work
IT Analyst (Student Navigator) (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS2 May 2017
Brilliant and knowledgeable colleagues.
Learn new stuff each day.
Meet new people.
Get to know different hardware problems and how to solve them.
Long phone queues to work.
Pros
short hours
Skills attained
Student (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS4 April 2017
Student - Materials engineering student. Studies focused on lab testing and material characteriztion of mechanical and physical properites.

Demonstrate extensive knowledge on precise topics.
Marker (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS27 March 2017
I'm just a marker at Dalhousie, so my review might not be very relevant for most of you. I just mark assignments, quizzes and exams, so I don't really deal with many people. It's very flexible and the hourly pay is fine as I'm still a student.
good place to gain experience
Proctor (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS4 March 2017
Working at university has an advantage that your classes are just a walking distance within the job location and that proctor position is a very calm and not stressful job you just got to manage checking in on students and keep track of when each student finishes their exam.
Pros
easy job
Cons
short hours
Dalhousie
Representative for Class (Current Employee) –  Dalhousie Mills, ON22 February 2017
• Created test plans and developed protocols for testing software to be used on production equipment
• Worked closely with consultants to develop FMEA (Failure Mode and Effect Analysis) tests
• Wrote test plans, testing summaries, testing procedures and measure of performance for prototypes
• Collaborated with the Engineering Test Department to create challenging conditions for field testing of prototypes
• Wrote detailed daily reports outlining prototype performance, issues and maintenance
• Demonstrated ability to learn and adapt to different harvesting practices using various types of equipment