Daktronics Employee Reviews

Exciting electronic business in the middle of the US
Sales and Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Brookings, SDDecember 22, 2015
Everyday is a different chance to learn with Daktronics.

As an Intern you are encouraged to explore as many different jobs in the company as you can / would like.

The day to day management is very relaxed and a fun place to work. As it is the electronics industry there are an incredible amount of jobs under the headquarters. Whether you want to work as an engineer, testing and making the products. There's also the design and marketing side of the industry, which simply creates the art you see on the displays. Maybe the sales industry fits you better. Whatever you would like to do, they have it there.

It is truly an amazing place to work, and the CEO and upper management have tried to make it a relaxed workplace with a very friendly staff. It is not uncommon to see the CEO walking right by you, greeting you. Truly amazing to see in a company today.
Pros
Great place to work, great job security, great company atmosphere
Cons
Brookings isn't exactly the best place to live, not much to do other than work.
Flexible hours, great environment
Electrical Lab Tech Student (Current Employee) –  Brookings, SDJanuary 18, 2016
Working in the reliability lab at Daktronics was extremely helpful in pursuing my career in electrical engineering. I was able to get hands-on experience in the engineering field. My coworkers were very supportive and enjoyable to work with. The reason I am planning on leaving Daktronics is due to needing different hours during school. It was very difficult for me to balance working and attending school when the only hours I could work were on weekdays. I am currently looking for a job which would allow me to focus on school during the week and my job during the weekend.
Pros
Good environment, flexible hours, great learning experience
Cons
Below average pay, high GPA requirement
Friendly place to work with chances for advancement.
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Brookings, SDJuly 10, 2016
Daktronics in Brookings South Dakota is a great place to work because you have a good chance for advancement. The people there are knowledgeable and are willing to help you learn and do your job. The management always provides you with the tools and the knowhow to do your job. The hardest part of the job is working with machines that malfunction. The most enjoyable part is when I help the technicians find defects in the circuit boards that we manufacture. Since I am a technician, but just not a technician at Daktronics I enjoy repairing electronics.
Good place to work with really good co-workers
Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 17, 2016
My main job was creating and joining circuit boards for digital boards like scoreboards, video displays & message displays. I had great co-workers and good management, The most enjoable part of the job was getting to travel and the hardest was working inside large digital boards outside in the summer
Pros
worked with me being a divorced dad and travelling
Cons
Not much room for advancement
Worst company I ever worked for
Final Assembler (Former Employee) –  Brookings, SDAugust 15, 2015
By far the worst company I ever worked for. Had college degree but was forced to start in outdoor assembly. Always seemed to get the most physical job duties even though I was older. Applied but was turned down for every entry level job due to inexperience even though I had at least 10 years of experience in any one of those positions. Many coworkers were bullies and supervisors punished you for bringing concerns to their attention. Direct supervisor should have been terminated many times for harassment. Management had virtually no communication skills to relate to the workers. They treated student workers much better than full time experienced employees. HR absolutely horrible and lazy. Do I need to continue? Terrible place to work!
Pros
usually worked 4 10 hour days
Cons
oh so many!
One of America's Best Employers
Lean Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee) –  Brookings, SDMay 12, 2016
Good community and business environment. I think it is a great place to work and provides employees with many opportunities.
HR Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Redwood Falls, MNMay 10, 2016
Love the people that I work with and the ability to learn and grow within your position. I enjoy the work life/balance and the support to learn new things.
Crew and Supervisor
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Redwood Falls, MNJanuary 20, 2016
Daktronics was the first company that provided electronic assembly experience for me. I had the opportunity to learn how to build power boxes, building crates, packaging, zip-tieing electrical wires onto scoreboards, laying out labels, maintaining work orders for each board, test and inspected LED lightings as well. I also operated tools that I have not used before in previous jobs.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
work distance
Recent competitive pay increase
Production Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDNovember 3, 2015
Daktronics was always a typical assembly job up until this last year when they rolled over to a new competitive pay environment. Now there are written, achievable goals to reaching a decent pay, and starting pay is great for South Dakota.
Daktronics is a great place to work for. Fun environment!
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Brookings, SDNovember 9, 2015
The people are great to work with. Always doing something fun, food days and decorating for holidays or events. Management is always understanding and wonderful.
Caution
Manufacturing Systems Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Brookings, SDSeptember 28, 2012
Like many organizations, they experienced explosive (organic) growth and are now trying to scale back and reallocate resources to be more profitable. Overall, it is a good company, but prior to taking a position, make certain that you are aware of the implicit and explicit expectations for the role you seek. Often there are issues that you will not be made aware of until you are in a situation.
Pros
good work-life balance, decent benefits, midwest culture
Cons
issues negotiating change and bringing new staff on-board.
Internship
Large Sport Venue Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Brookings, SDNovember 23, 2015
Great internship program with lots of opportunities to experience different facets of the company. Made a lot of connections and good experiences
Good company work environment and culture
Job Role:Project Engineer in Engineer Department (Former Employee) –  ShanghaiApril 7, 2015
Daktronics is a large LED Video and Audio America based company with a world wide reputation. It provides me good stage to grow up from industry to personal skills.

You will see from the attached resume, I've built my career in a variety of roles in Daktronics. I am a person who works effectively as a team member and work with little supervision. I respond quickly to situations and needs, successfully implementing for product and process improvement with good judgment in difficult situations.

The most enjoyable part is I could cooperate with staff from worldwide and provide excellent service to customer.
This company has a great family atmosphere and is continuously working to improve the work environment for all employees.
Civil Engineer (Current Employee) –  Brookings, SDMarch 27, 2012
I enjoy working at Daktronics. I especially love the friendly and family oriented atmosphere. Everyone I work with is usually very cooperative and helpful. I have seen the work environment improve each year while at Daktronics. Management seems very intent on doing all that they can to provide the best possible workplace for all employees.
Cons
health benefits
job review
Electronics technician (Former Employee) –  TexasApril 26, 2012
I enjoyed my time with Daktronics. The major downside to the jobwas that there was a definate shift that was very visible over the course of time away from customer service and towards making the stockholders money.
Pros
working around sports, company vehicle, company laptop, company cell phone
Cons
long hours, weekends, shift away from customer service, politics.
Great work environment and Potential Job Advancement
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Brookings, SDMarch 5, 2014
- Answer phone calls from Daktronics's customers to assist them with:
(1) Resetting software (2) Purchasing / renewing software (3) Update company names, addresses, and phone numbers as needed (4) Schedule appointment(s) with software technicians to site (5) Connecting customers to software technicians and/or correct departments

-Email technicians and/or customers about accounts, issues with software or sign, etc.

The management and atmosphere overall was great. The hardest part of the job would be dealing with unruly customers over the phone. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to speak to people from all over the country and the world whom use the Daktronics products.
Pros
great colleagues, student positions have potential oppoortunities after graduation, great management
Cons
short breaks, school grades can lead to termination
The Engineering team works well together.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brookings SD 57006April 30, 2014
I work as the Administrative Assitant for the Engineering office. I handle all the data entry and documentation. I am the owner of our sharepoint site meaning anytime a document needs to be edited or uploaded to the site I am the one to do so. If another employee meets the requirements, I can grant them access to edit the website themself. I have learned a lot about time management, and all Microsoft programs. I do not like sitting on a computer tucked away in a corner all day. But I really enjoy seeing the final product of what we produce. Its rewarding to see all of the hard work I do pay off in the end.
Pros
the hours and pay fits my needs.
Cons
no scheduled breaks. too busy to take breaks.
Fun workplace and great opportunity
Video crew member (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJuly 21, 2015
I filmed all Iowa State sporting events such as basketball, football, soccer, softball, gymnastics, volleyball and wrestling. I learned how to keep calm in a fast paced environment and how to create cool new shots for live broadcast.
Technican
ETT (Former Employee) –  South DakotaAugust 25, 2012
I always loved electronics and repair and troubleshooting and anything came easy for me even before I worked here it is called electronics know how and talented with skilled rework repair, and troubleshooting and training other technicians and well some just refused to listen as there way was set in mind.

Operators and other standard assemblers are forced to stand most of the day and felt it was required for all employees to stand even techs. I never got the family feel from this company and felt that most would gossip all day and spread rumors for false nature and false accusations which usually leads to people getting abused emotionally and disgruntled. Co-workers and engineers alike would ask questions and would answer them with absolute reason under the Applied Technology ascertained with in my degree of study which was outside of daktronics culture. They do not allow for proper troubleshooting and give tight time constraints and end up tossing PCB's that some can not figure out or unable to configure a proper routine of troubleshooting techniques or lack basic understanding of Digital Electronics fundamentals or never bread boarded anything down to a specific level of boolean TTL logic and lack understanding of PWM and signaling properties and seem to lack ac/dc analysis and when prompted with a question right out of a college book seems most forgot or could not answer properly and had to go through a chain of command to find the answer then get back to me.

The place is micro mangaged down to each individual and always felt like BIG brother was breathing down, and constantly
  more... wanting extended hours but got no yields as attrition was up and down and all over the place.

Coming from a large member two parent family with a child of special needs, appointments were a nightmare so when I had the time it seemed they would reject it, but when I didn't have the time they offer overtime and would give occurances for family related absenses even if clearly obvious of a reason.

I felt tossed and turned there twisted and confused of their demands in the market place, and constantly hounded of wether or not I was going to return to college for their course in engineering, well I choose to go for my under graduate on my own.
Pros
i enjoy electronics
Cons
vindictive co-workers and leadership, poor raises and starting pay
Good place to work. But you work hard.
ACCOUNT SERVICE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, South DakotaJuly 30, 2015
Multiple hats. Multiple supervisors. Lots of meetings and sometimes not enough time to get done. The position was rewarding and required and immense amount of technical skill.