Daktronics

Daktronics Employee Reviews

Fun work environment
Grip Production Technician (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FL16 March 2017
A typical work was getting to the studio before game time and saying hello to everyone who was working in the control room then grab my field passes and head down to the field with all the equipment.

I learned a lot by always asking questions about every camera weather I was helping with it or just walking by it and just wanted to know how it woks.

The work culture was always fun and it never felt like I was working but it felt like I was doing something that I love to do.

The hardest part of the job was definitely working on the field when the temperature was well over 100 degrees and you had to keep working without taking a break.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when you get to see what you're doing on the big screen and knowing that over 90,000 people are looking at it and cheering as they watch the home team make a big play.
Pros
Free lunches, making connections, learning something new every day and covering sports that I love to be apart of
Cons
The temperature during the afternoon games
Good company
Production (Current Employee) –  Brookings, SD13 March 2017
Great company to work for. good work life balance. Management cares about the people that work there. Good community involvement. Good holiday schedule and PTO allowance.
Friendly place to work with chances for advancement.
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Brookings, SD10 July 2016
Daktronics in Brookings South Dakota is a great place to work because you have a good chance for advancement. The people there are knowledgeable and are willing to help you learn and do your job. The management always provides you with the tools and the knowhow to do your job. The hardest part of the job is working with machines that malfunction. The most enjoyable part is when I help the technicians find defects in the circuit boards that we manufacture. Since I am a technician, but just not a technician at Daktronics I enjoy repairing electronics.
Slow paced work
Process Technician (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SD27 December 2016
A typical day was slow moving with a lot of standing around time. To stay busy you had to go looking for things to do. Management made good decisions but were slow to come up with them. Co-workers are very pleasant to work with.
fun place to work
Video Board Technician (Former Employee) –  Brookings, SD12 December 2016
had fun with the daily challenges presented in the field.
worked remotely at professional sporting venues, so I cannot speak to the overall culture of the company or the people.

Pros
daily challenges
Cons
stressful
Good place to work with really good co-workers
Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TN17 May 2016
My main job was creating and joining circuit boards for digital boards like scoreboards, video displays & message displays. I had great co-workers and good management, The most enjoable part of the job was getting to travel and the hardest was working inside large digital boards outside in the summer
Pros
worked with me being a divorced dad and travelling
Cons
Not much room for advancement
Good place to work while in school
Software QA Engineer (Current Employee) –  Brookings, SD19 December 2016
This is a great job for while you are attending school. They are very flexible on hours and maintain that school comes first. Great to be able to apply skills learned in school to real life scenarios. Also very flexible in moving student employees around to different areas of software development
Pros
Wage bonuses based on grades
Fun work environment
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brookings, SD1 June 2016
Family feeling, tight knit. Good benefits. I enjoyed my time there and made lifelong friends. Good management. Collaborative work atmosphere.
good learning opportunity
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Redwood Falls, MN9 November 2016
Started the day with a group meeting to inform workers what is in store for the day and get every one motivated. When out on the floor you go to the post your assigned to and check over the your work station for proper tools and a clear space to work in.
Pros
do diffrent things not stuck doing the same job all day
Cons
danger of being burned by hot solder
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Brookings, SD13 February 2017
Working at Dak has been one of the best experiences of my life. We are the global leader in what we do, Im very proud to say I work here and enjoy seeing our product out in the world.
Exciting electronic business in the middle of the US
Sales and Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Brookings, SD22 December 2015
Everyday is a different chance to learn with Daktronics.

As an Intern you are encouraged to explore as many different jobs in the company as you can / would like.

The day to day management is very relaxed and a fun place to work. As it is the electronics industry there are an incredible amount of jobs under the headquarters. Whether you want to work as an engineer, testing and making the products. There's also the design and marketing side of the industry, which simply creates the art you see on the displays. Maybe the sales industry fits you better. Whatever you would like to do, they have it there.

It is truly an amazing place to work, and the CEO and upper management have tried to make it a relaxed workplace with a very friendly staff. It is not uncommon to see the CEO walking right by you, greeting you. Truly amazing to see in a company today.
Pros
Great place to work, great job security, great company atmosphere
Cons
Brookings isn't exactly the best place to live, not much to do other than work.
Good Student Job
Student (Former Employee) –  Brookings, SD31 October 2016
Mutually Beneficial to the Company and Students. Daktronics receives decent labor below market rates and students gain valuable experience. Overall a good experience.
Pros
Pay is good for Part time job, Opportunities to learn
Cons
Not busy at times, feel bad wasting time
Flexible hours, great environment
Electrical Lab Tech Student (Current Employee) –  Brookings, SD18 January 2016
Working in the reliability lab at Daktronics was extremely helpful in pursuing my career in electrical engineering. I was able to get hands-on experience in the engineering field. My coworkers were very supportive and enjoyable to work with. The reason I am planning on leaving Daktronics is due to needing different hours during school. It was very difficult for me to balance working and attending school when the only hours I could work were on weekdays. I am currently looking for a job which would allow me to focus on school during the week and my job during the weekend.
Pros
Good environment, flexible hours, great learning experience
Cons
Below average pay, high GPA requirement
Caution
Manufacturing Systems Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Brookings, SD28 September 2012
Like many organizations, they experienced explosive (organic) growth and are now trying to scale back and reallocate resources to be more profitable. Overall, it is a good company, but prior to taking a position, make certain that you are aware of the implicit and explicit expectations for the role you seek. Often there are issues that you will not be made aware of until you are in a situation.
Pros
good work-life balance, decent benefits, midwest culture
Cons
issues negotiating change and bringing new staff on-board.
Good place for freelance. Paid well
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VA11 September 2016
Good place for freelance. Paid well. Work was exciting. We were given free lunch. Co-workers were all very professional.
HR Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Redwood Falls, MN10 May 2016
Love the people that I work with and the ability to learn and grow within your position. I enjoy the work life/balance and the support to learn new things.
This company has a great family atmosphere and is continuously working to improve the work environment for all employees.
Civil Engineer (Current Employee) –  Brookings, SD27 March 2012
I enjoy working at Daktronics. I especially love the friendly and family oriented atmosphere. Everyone I work with is usually very cooperative and helpful. I have seen the work environment improve each year while at Daktronics. Management seems very intent on doing all that they can to provide the best possible workplace for all employees.
Cons
health benefits
Worst company I ever worked for
Final Assembler (Former Employee) –  Brookings, SD15 August 2015
By far the worst company I ever worked for. Had college degree but was forced to start in outdoor assembly. Always seemed to get the most physical job duties even though I was older. Applied but was turned down for every entry level job due to inexperience even though I had at least 10 years of experience in any one of those positions. Many coworkers were bullies and supervisors punished you for bringing concerns to their attention. Direct supervisor should have been terminated many times for harassment. Management had virtually no communication skills to relate to the workers. They treated student workers much better than full time experienced employees. HR absolutely horrible and lazy. Do I need to continue? Terrible place to work!
Pros
usually worked 4 10 hour days
Cons
oh so many!
One of America's Best Employers
Lean Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee) –  Brookings, SD12 May 2016
Good community and business environment. I think it is a great place to work and provides employees with many opportunities.
job review
Electronics technician (Former Employee) –  Texas26 April 2012
I enjoyed my time with Daktronics. The major downside to the jobwas that there was a definate shift that was very visible over the course of time away from customer service and towards making the stockholders money.
Pros
working around sports, company vehicle, company laptop, company cell phone
Cons
long hours, weekends, shift away from customer service, politics.