Dairy Queen Employee Reviews

Fast Paced but Friendly Environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL28 June 2017
I learned how to make a wicked curl, and a delicious blizzard. As well as essential money handling skills and customer service. The most enjoyable part of the job was giving a little kid a few extra sprinkles on her cone.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Unreliable hours
Great owner
Restaurant Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 June 2017
IN this company you will learn a lot and they will teach you everything that you need to know.. people are great owner and managers supervisor were all approchable
Pros
employee discount even your not on duty
Cons
Closing late
mangement did alot of criminal things
Associate (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB26 June 2017
Management didn't care about their employees. very raicist place and a lot of bullying going on. you are not allowed to stick up for yourself or you will be let go seen it done on 3 occasions. management does not follow buy anyones rules but their own. that being said they did a lot of criminal things there.
Pros
great customers
Cons
the management
Engaging and supportive workplace with kind coworkers and boss
Cashier and Server (Former Employee) –  Fleetwood, BC25 June 2017
In the duration of my time working at Dairy Queen, I believed it was a great atmosphere to work in. Hours were very good and the boss was very kind and understanding. I learned a lot about punctuality and speed when making orders and taking them as well. The only difficult part about this job was dealing with the rushes and making sure you were efficient and sure of the orders. The best part about working was who you were working with. Since every employee was kind and fun to be around, it made working a five or eight hour shift go by in a snap.
boring and unkept
Employee (Former Employee) –  Aylmer, QC22 June 2017
it is an unclean work place unsanitary the workers are all friend so they want the people who they aren't their friends they want it to be their click only so hey got me fired when i never did anything wrong.
Would not recommend
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chestermere, AB21 June 2017
Chestermere dairy queen was ta horrible first job experience. I would not recommend to anyone. There was some individuals who were 100% rude and disrespectful while training and in confused times. Overall, employees seemed down while on the job. And English was RARELY spoken.
Pros
10% off
Cons
everything else
very enjoyable place to work
Cashier/ Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON19 June 2017
I loved working at Dairy Queen. I got along with all the management very well. This was a very friendly place to work. I enjoyed all my customers. I enjoyed all the staff as well.
A typical shift at DQ
Cashier/ food services (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB18 June 2017
It's a great place to start to get some job experience. It can be stressful and exhausting at times especially when it gets super busy since it is a fast paced environment but you just really have to do your best. Really great staff and management!
Pros
50% off of food during shift
Bias family run business and gossip
Front Counter Staff (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB17 June 2017
Very poorly run franchise. There bias in the employees, gossip everywhere. Other employees will make you feel like you can never do your job right no matter how hard you try. Manager manipulates the hours and money so his love interest earns more and deducts it on our hours. Other employees always complains about students taking time off for school exams and diplomas.
Cons
Bias workplace, don't have a voice, constant feeling of being targeted
Great work environment, every day is something new.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Neepawa, MB16 June 2017
A typical day does get pretty busy around meal times, but there is always time to get cleaning and the like done. I learned a lot about how the fast food industry works best. The most difficult part of the job were days when the restaurant is just packed with people, like on miracle treat day. The most enjoyable part was joking around with the other workers while we clean or do whatever needs to be done.
average work place
Part-time Worker (Former Employee) –  Paradise, NL16 June 2017
It is a very friendly work place for some people but for some the management can be tough. A lot to learn from the place and if a person have good relation with manager then there should not be any problem.
Pros
friendly colleagues
Cons
too far, bad public transportation
This was an excellent first job
Cashier/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC16 June 2017
The Richmond Dairy Queen was my first job apart from babysitting. I worked there in my teens and for a little while before I had my first child.

The owner managed the company wisely. He scheduled work around his employee's lives, so there was always a great job work/life balance.

Ray (the owner) gave us meals at half price and treated his employees well.

Thinking back about working at the Dairy Queen puts a smile on my face.
Fast-paced
Store front / Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 June 2017
Dairy Queen is a face-paced environment. You learn very quickly how to multitask and how to make product fast and efficiently. I've learned how to handle upset customers, how to comprise with products. I've learned that it is very important to keep a clean and safe work area especially working with food products.
Pros
Co-workers and the flexible hours
Cons
Understaffed
fun to work at layed back
Cashier assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 June 2017
it was a good job , reasonable expectations , great staff , good discounts , great location, good challenge, great commute and overall it is a place that I would recommend working at!
Pros
discount
Cons
very little to do
Productive / amazing owners
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 June 2017
this place changed dramaticly the previous owners are the same as shawnessy dairy queen so when they were running this dairy queen it was a horrible work envirmonet but when they switched owners there was a dramtoc change way nicer owners , never make customers wait
Pros
50% discount, free drinks
Cons
no free food
fun workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 June 2017
overall it is a very good place to work if you can handle rude owners, the team of shawnessy dairy queen is very bad , they do not care about customers as they do only care about them selfs as well as other employes. there will be a line of customers waiting to have there order taken while a group of emplyoees standing in the office on there phones taking snapchats .
Pros
very nice management, fun work enviroment
Cons
Owners are very disrespectful & very very rude
Fun and casual but very busy
Cashier & minor Supervisor (Current Employee) –  London, ON14 June 2017
A typical day is very busy. Nice coworkers make for a better experience but customers can tend to be very demanding at times as other fast food I'm sure. The hardest part of the job is just being able to work very quickly and please many customers. The culture is very friendly however the management is lacking. I learned to work hard and collaborate with all types of people, but the managers are very harsh sometimes which isn't effective in my opinion.
Pros
50% Off food
Cons
Extremely busy
enjoyable and friendly staff
Cashier/Server (Former Employee) –  Stettler, AB13 June 2017
fun workplace, management has your back, learned a lot especially in costumer service, co-workers are helpful during training and the rest of the staff are friendly. Can request for time of duty, the hardest part is resisting the delicious food! love the ice cream!!!
Pros
able to manage my time
Cons
some costumer"s unacceptable attitude
Fun workplace
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC13 June 2017
The manager is really awesome. She was very motivating and she provides flexible shifts especially to students. Almost everyone I worked with was also very nice and respectful.
Pros
Awesome manager, 50% off anything, Great working environment, Flexible Shifts
Cons
Long hours, can be exhausting especially summer time
productive and fun workplace
Front Counter Associate (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB13 June 2017
It's a good place to work, very accommodating, the people are the best part by far everyone is very friendly. I learned how to multitask, management is ok.