Dairy Queen Employee Reviews in Canada

Greatly flexible management and friendly co-workers
Grill Cook (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 19, 2016
Well organized and dedicated staff that work well in teamwork demanding situations. Management was highly flexible with the work schedule and would make adjustments when required if supplied with enough notice. Very friendly and professional atmosphere.
Pros
decent hours given especially if asked for.
Cons
Long periods of time standing in front of hot kitchen equipment
Great first Job
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSJanuary 19, 2016
Enjoyed working here it was my first real job stayed for 7 Years.
Hours were good, management tasks were done well, met a lot of people I still call my friends here.
Pros
Life balance
Cons
Near minimum wage
Warm greetings to the customers ,upbeat style in customer service and work as a team in the company.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCJanuary 18, 2016
Warm greetings to the customers,upbeat style in custumer service and work as a team in the company.Offerring the deals and coupons as additional order.
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, ABJanuary 13, 2016
Taking orders, giving a good atmosphere to all customers. I learned to deal with good to bad kinds of customers very quickly. Co-workers always has me smiling.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
Owners
Never a Dull Moment
Cook/Cashier (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONJanuary 12, 2016
This is one of the jobs that I've truly enjoyed. Every day brings some sort of an adventure; be it the staff that I get to work with, the people that I meet, or just something that goes awry. The team of 20 people that work there have an amazing dynamic.
Pros
Half off meals during work hours
Cons
Hours are scarce in the winter
Not worth it
Brazier (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJanuary 7, 2016
Start of the shift means preparing all the ingredients, I learned how to make many different types of burgers and other fast foods. The manager of this location is probably the friendliest and most understand person I've ever worked with. Co-workers are mainly all teenagers either in high-school or just started college/university. Hardest part of the job is dealing with busy lunch and dinner rushes, most enjoyable part is the cooking. It wasn't a difficult job but sometimes when it's really busy everyone starts feeling the stress of having to keep up with the orders and it makes you feel very tired and eventually it gets annoying. Some of the staff members cracked under pressure and would make it difficult for others to continue working peacefully. Overall it wasn't too bad of a place but would never consider going back.
Pros
Free ice cream on breaks, 50% off food on breaks
Cons
Either really busy or nothing to do at all
Fun people and work environment.
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Tottenham, ONJanuary 5, 2016
The people at Dairy Queen are extremely great to work with and the work is not bad. The job is fairly easy to learn. Five hour shifts are the typical shift plus the time it takes to close which is on average about 20-30 minutes. I am looking for another part time job as I don't feel I get enough hours at Dairy Queen and with school approaching quick next year, I need all the hours and work experience I can get.
Cons
Not enough hours. Penalized for booking time off.
Good work environment
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJanuary 4, 2016
As a Shift Leader at Dairy Queen, the main duty and responsibility is to provide customers the highest form of customer service satisfaction which may include but not limited to taking and receiving orders, processing payments, giving the exact change and above all, responding appropriately to whatever the customer needs.
productive
Server and dessert maker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 30, 2015
Dairy queen is a decent place to work at the working environment is decent depending on which employees you are working with.
Pros
50% discount
Cons
only get discount when you work
Not fulfilling needs and expectations.
Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Armstrong, BCDecember 23, 2015
Hours are not sufficient, trainees receive more hours than staff in slow times, staff is not team based or friendly. There is more gossip than a grade 9 drama class. Training is lacking over the long term but initial training is satisfactory. Management is vigilant and fair, though the schedules are not planned far enough ahead. Staff does not receive set hours over long term, making shifts hard to plan ahead for. Staff receives 30% off food for themselves but only while on their shift. Over all system is flawed due to the fact that only the people on cash can operate the tills, this is a flaw because when it is busy and one of the people on cash is busy elsewhere, only one till is operational, creating even more congestion. Not much, if any, opportunity for advancement.
Pros
30% off food on shift.
Cons
No hours, no advancement, drama-centric staff.
Actively fun place with loving co-workers, and free ice-cream.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 22, 2015
Dairy Queen was an absolute joy to work at. I'd always look forward to my next shift as I'd be seeing the rest of the amazing staff at the location as well as the job itself made work fairly easy for me. A typical day would include putting on my uniform and heading straight to the front to begin my work of serving soft-serve sweets to customers. This would continue until closing where we then as a team begin daily clean-up which would include basic tasks such as dish-washing, throwing out and garbage, and mopping/sweeping. The most difficult part of the job was dealing with unpleasant customers but of course it's a package-deal when it comes to working anywhere. The best part was hands down the staff at the restaurant. They were friendly and loving people who supported each other through each step and are what kept Dairy Queen so successful. I still keep in contact with them to this day. I overall loved working and hope to relive the feeling again.
Pros
Free ice-cream, friendly customers
Cons
one 30-min break
productive and fun to be part of Dairy Queen company
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Estevan, SKDecember 20, 2015
So far my experience of working in Dairy Queen is the best, Good and thoughtful employer and friendly and dedicated co-workers.
Good Place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Tottenham, ONDecember 19, 2015
Loved working here, The owner was easy to deal with would recommend this place to anyone. I would love to be able to manage a Dairy Queen.
Awful management and horrible work employees
Dairy Queen Employee (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCDecember 12, 2015
The Fleetwood Dairy Queen is awful. The management constantly belittles the employees behind their backs and the employees are horrendous. I have been blamed for incidents several times that were my colleagues doing as well as when threatened by a customer was forced to meet their demands because of the management. If you want to work for Dairy Queen, avoid this store like the plague.
Pros
Store discount
Cons
Awful work envirnoment
What I Can Bring to Your Company!
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONDecember 7, 2015
- excellent communication and problem solving skills with proven success in resolving situation under time-sensitive and variable conditions
- energetic team player who also works well independently with minimal supervision
- recognizes the necessity to observe confidentiality
great workplace
Customer service (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONDecember 3, 2015
excellent co workers and management great place to work, owners are fantastic people very reasonable with their employees
Pros
great hours
Cons
slow winters
It was a good experience.
cashier (Former Employee) –  Scarborough,ONNovember 29, 2015
We worked hard, and definitely earned our money. Some things could be different, like breaks and a little bit more pay. Overall had fun and enjoyed the experience.
Fun work place
Dairy Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONNovember 27, 2015
This is a fun work place to work at I wasn't there very long due to complications with my boss, I think there should be more camera that have access to each and every spot at the work place, it was my first job I enjoyed it but due to everything that went down I had to quite it.
Pros
Meet new people, discount on the food
Cons
need new owners, needs more hours and a break time.
Great Place for a First Job
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Stayner, ONNovember 25, 2015
Dairy Queen is a nice place to start working, especially for a first job. The average labor in a day is not heavy when kitchen staff (people prefer the ice cream more often than the food). They will train you to use the chemicals and cleaners they use properly and the small location makes this a very easy job. The staff was probably the best part of the job as they are all friendly and work oriented. The management of Dairy Queen is very strict but forgiving. They will not make it the end of the world on small mistakes, but they will make a point for more grievous mistakes.
Pros
Good Staff
Cons
Very overbearing management
Life as an employer at Dairy Queen
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 24, 2015
Typical hours ranging from 5-10.
Improved customer service skills dealing with a variety of customers.
Managers were great, very flexible with hours.
Co-workers performed well as a team no complaints.
Hardest part of the job was finding more things to do on a slow day.
Most enjoyable part of the job was being in a good environment with an excellent team. So, that everything moved smoothly.
Pros
Free Ice Cream
Cons
Nothing really

2.7