Dairy Queen

Dairy Queen Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
I was a student
Cashier/Server (Current Employee), Amherst, NSDecember 4, 2013
A typical day I would be on cash waiting on customers and cleaning around my work area. when customer are rude to you or other customer. I got alone with co-workers. the most enjoyable part was meeting new people and when my customer leave happy with my service to them.
Productive and fun workplace
Cashier / Ice Cream Cake Maker/Decorator (Current Employee), Brampton, ONDecember 1, 2013
Pros: co-workers and management make the job worth while.
Cons: one 15 min paid break for a 7 hour shift
On a typical day at work I would; sign in early or on time, open the store, restock products in specific containers, set up for making cakes, clean the ice cream machines, organize cake orders and make cakes in the order of priority, check if waffle cones and bowls are out of stock if so replenish them and rotate the old from the new, make cakes starting with peanut allergies, freeze cakes, go on a speedy break, serve customers throughout shift with quality products and with a great attitude. If time permits I often spark conversation , fill, clean and sign out. I've learned how to multitask effectively through relying on memory and ordering tasks based on priority. Management is fair and expect the best of it's employees at all times. Co-workers are friendly and lively and have many aspirations for their future's which is always a positive in the work environment.
The hardest part of the job for me used to be dealing with agitated customers but now I've come to understand the importance of remaining calm cool and collected in order to prevent further conflict. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to try new products at a reduced rate and engaging with the various personality types of customers.
Enjoyable workplace
Everything (Current Employee), Woodstock, ONNovember 24, 2013
A typical day at work is to come in with a smile on my face ready to work, clocking in then getting right to work. I would either start with taking peoples order or making their order. It a switch of both, what ever it available or needs to be, ill do it. At the end of the night we all have different cleaning jobs such as cleaning the front or you can clean the back and eating area.
Things that I have learnt from working at Dairy Queen is that you may get costumers that complain but you just have to help them as much as you can. if a costumer has a problem with their food, you would make a new one for them.
I have very happy and exciting co-workers that really enjoy working at Dairy Queen, so it is so much easier to have a good day work. I have very helpful co-workers, they will always be there to teach you new things that you don't know.
One of the hardest part of the job is when you have very rude costumers that yell at you for no reason, but you just have to know how to handle them, which I have learnt to do. You have to stay calm and happy with them and to get them what they want.
The most enjoyable part of my job is going to work to see my co-workers and make peoples food. I really enjoy having the cashier job, so I can take peoples order and give them a warming welcome.
fun workplace
Dishes, promoted to prep and line cook (Former Employee), Devon AlbertaNovember 20, 2013
Pros: ice cream
cooking,cleaning dealing with customers.
would go to work after school and start cooking making food
good first job
Caissière (Former Employee), Laval, B5November 18, 2013
Pros: free food
i worked the cash and made the desserts as well. my co-workers were nice, so were my managers.
fun places
cashier (Former Employee), edmonton albertaNovember 11, 2013
Pros: free drinks
Cons: long lunch
dairy queen was a fun place to work at . i learned how to work with the soft serve area such as ice cream , cones and soomthies, the management was good the boss was friendly. my co workers were friendly, fun respectful of others's feelings , the hardest part of the job was working at the tilt for the first time . the most enjoyable part of the job was learning how to work in the chill area and the people
Terrible management
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONNovember 6, 2013
Management was sexist in that they believed men must be in the kitchen and not greet the customers. There was no room for advancement in the company. Little training was received. I had learned to improve my multitasking.
Great workplace
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), ottawa ontarioNovember 5, 2013
Friendly co workers and friendly customers.I was responsible for opening the store and getting the cashes ready,cleaning of the equipment and decorating cakes.Dairy queen was a great place to work at.
making ice cream is fun
Restaurant Team Member (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBOctober 31, 2013
learned a lot of new stuffs like being creative on making cake decorations
A little bit too hard
Kitchen Helper (Current Employee), Golden, B.C.October 22, 2013
Pros: 50% off for the food
Cons: long hours
the work requires lots of patience and stamina which i believe i possessed. the hardest part of the job is when you do your job in the kitchen/fryer which is so hot, then you go inside the freezer & cooler to get your stuff. My co-workers were all good and easy to be with.
fast paced
cook (Former Employee), Maple ridgeOctober 18, 2013
Pros: 50% off food and icecream
Cons: not many shifts
learned a lot about being punctual and work in a fast paced environment. Managers helped where they could and were understanding about scenarios. Good co-workers. Getting the preferred shifts was the hardest part. working hard and learning as I went on.
Great Job for work/life balance
Shift Manager (Former Employee), Fredericton, NBOctober 7, 2013
Pros: paid breaks
Cons: a lot of younger people
I worked with a lot of great people at Dairy Queen. I was shift manager there for about a year and a half. I had a lot of responsibilities as shift manager such as counting floats before and after every shift, making sure I was making decisions based on what was best for the company, making sure everyone was staying busy. I also learned a lot of skills while I was there; I got the opportunity to further advance in customer service skills, social skills, math skills. I was always on time for work. Very prompt.
Productive Fun Place
Customer Service (Current Employee), Brantford, ONOctober 3, 2013
Nice co workers
good place if your trying to go to school
good first job experikence
Medium-high volume fast food location.
Supervisor (Former Employee), Thunder Bay, ONSeptember 26, 2013
Pros: above average pay, reliable hours.
Cons: unpredictable at times.
Well structured, well organized and accounting for the unexpected that occurs day to day, well run.

Entrusted me with a supervisory position, plus coaching and training in several new responsibilities of store operations.
It was a really enjoyable job.
Cake Decorator (Former Employee), Newton, BCSeptember 24, 2013
Pros: free lunch.
Cons: not enough shifts or even full shifts, not enough days.
A day at work would go like this..
I would start work 8 or 9 am. Fill in icing bags, make sure my work area was clean. and i would take special cake orders as well as decorating the cakes and dealing with customers and handling thier problems (if they had any). It was a lot of fun working with my co-workers. everyone got a long well and it just made work a lot easier. as for for my job there wasnt really anything hard about it, sometimes it would be a little bit more challenging than other days.. where I would have to decorate more cakes in a short period of time but i still got it done.
the most enjoyable part would have been meeting new people and just the job itself dealing with customers satisfaction.. never really saw a customer leave without a smile on there face.
Working at DQ is great. Nice people, good atmosphere, lots of fun.
Grill worker (Current Employee), Young Road, ChilliwackSeptember 24, 2013
Orders come in, we make them, clean up frequently. Always stay stocked, and still have time to have conversations between co-workers.
Typical chain restaurant, great staff, minimal pay.
Cashier (Former Employee), Golden, BCSeptember 16, 2013
I really enjoyed working at Dairy Queen because the staff was always efficient and fun to be around. I took orders and made ice cream and answered the phone and did dishes. Clean-up was mandatory three times a day.
Rewarding and lots of opportunity for advancement.
Brazier and Frontline, Supervisor (Current Employee), Mission, BCSeptember 8, 2013
Pros: supervisors get free break meals.
Cons: 8 hour shifts with one 30 min break.
A typical day at work would be stocking and daily and weekly duties including various tasks involving cleaning and organizing. All of the managers are quite young, making it hard to communicate your desires to change or make something better. The managers that are older don't understand that it's hard for all teenage girls to be running a fast-paced and stressful fast food restaurant and get angry and upset when something goes wrong. My co-workers are friendly and get the job done, we all seem to have the same mind-set and work towards like goals. I've learned all about customer service and how to deal with an unhappy customer in a courteous and polite manner while trying to satisfy their wants and needs. The hardest part and the most enjoyable part of my job leans toward the same category and that's connecting with customers. I have a connection with those that come in every day and order the same thing and they're happy because you know them so well, but the customers that give you a hard time and get upset with you, it's hard to keep your cool and at the end of it to smile and say have a nice day.
Customer Service Experience
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Richmond Hill, ONSeptember 6, 2013
Working regular full time 8 hours a day.
Learned how to deal with the customers and ability to maneuver around the store.
Easy to get along with and train newly hired employee.
There's no hard job if you know how to deal with courage and patience.
It's an okay workplace
Cashier/Cook (Current Employee), MarkhamAugust 19, 2013
-its an okay workplace
-i'm not looking forward to stay here for a longer period '
-management is really poor at this location
-co worker are okay
-way too much cleaning and rules that have to be followed
-happy customers are the only enjoyable part of this job.

About Dairy Queen

Dairy Queen, often abbreviated DQ, is a chain of soft serve and fast food restaurants owned by International Dairy Queen, Inc, – Read more