Dairy Queen Employee Reviews

A great starter job for students, good experiences and skills development.
Cook (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON5 May 2017
An excellent first job for young students. Little to no benefits and minimum wage, hard work. Develops many essential skills such as customer care, collaboration, communication, time management etc.
Pros
Great co-workers and boss, great schedule.
Cons
Low pay, no benefits
It was ok.
Server (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 May 2017
I had no stable hours and the teenagers working either let you stay or sent you home. I hardly worked 40 hours a week as I was told and never got my raise I was promised. It was ok when it was busy as we had some nice regulars.
Pros
Cheap lunches
Cons
Unstable hours
Workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Orillia, ON3 May 2017
I have nothing bad to say about Dairy Queen , the staff are like family , customers are great and the new owners are quite lovely!i wouldn't have liked to have been anywhere else ! Great job!
Pros
Nice staff, 50%off
Cons
Sometimes moody customers
Was a great beginner job
Cook (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC2 May 2017
This got my foot in the door of the fast food industry while still being able to maintaining my school work in high school. It showed me how to be efficient in a fast pace environment.
fun, fast paced, good for young students
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC2 May 2017
the owner was a bit strange but usually managers were there, not him. fun place to work if you're a bit younger and want to work somewhere while you're in school or something. lots of good ice cream to eat! obviously you don't get paid very well, but it's not too bad.
Horrible Job
Food Counter Attendant (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON1 May 2017
Boss touched women, he was disgusting. Took out money from friend's paychecks before, wouldn't fix drive thru. Worst job ever, please never take a job here.
Dairy Queen
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brockville, ON1 May 2017
A fast-paced, ice cream parlour and fast food restaurant. Opportunity for work in every section: grill, drive thru, cakes, front. Praise for a job well-done. The most enjoyable part of this job was having customers leaving pleased with our interaction. I learned the most about customer service at this job.
Pros
Great Staff and Co-workers, Possibility for Advancement, Ability to trade or gain shifts
Fun and productive work experience
Cake Decorator/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON1 May 2017
great place to start working when in school. can learn about customer service, cleaning, and working with cash as well as fast paced in the summer. workplace is multi-cultural and make great relationships with other employees. flexible work hours
Dairy Queen is good to work at while in school
Part-time Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON29 April 2017
Hours are good
Half off food on breaks
Shifts are usually 5-7 hours
Staff are nice
You have a lot of old customers that can be very rude
If you like ice cream then it's a good job for you
Great place
Chef d'équipe (Current Employee) –  Châteauguay, QC27 April 2017
Fun job and acquired a lot of experience there. I would totally recommend this job to anyone else. If I had to start again at the same place I definitely would.
Pros
free stuff
Cons
Weird shift
Excellent workplace
Manager (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NB25 April 2017
They are an excellent company to work for. They are very flexible and understanding with the schedule. This is a great first job for many high school students.
Fun people, poor management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 April 2017
As an individual, I felt that I had taken on a lot of trust and responsibility from my management. However, after two and a half years of working there - I was still getting paid minimum wage. The hours were flexible and the people I worked with were fun and welcoming. However, I didn't feel valued by the company.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
No moving up
Great management, busy atmosphere
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Miramichi, NB21 April 2017
A typical day at work at Dairy Queen had me juggling a lot of different jobs at once, always back tracking to make sure I stayed on top. Not only did you have to pay attention to cash and the direct customers, but you also had to answer the phone, clean the cooking areas, restock the food products, change the garbage, prepare cooking ingredients for the next day, and much more. The workplace culture was nice, as it was very diverse. Hardest part of the job was making sure everything was stocked up during rush hours while also tending to direct customers. Most enjoyable part of the job was working for two great locals who treat their employees as though they were their own children!
Pros
Good atmosphere
Fun place
Customer Service- cook/cashier (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON19 April 2017
Its great place to work at if you're a high school student. You get to learn things that to get with you in life that you might not learn them anywhere else.
Pros
You to learn how to cook
Cons
Gets hot in the kitchen
so long ago i dont remember
Store Front Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON19 April 2017
so long ago i dont remember at all from what i do remember it was okay but not much to say about it their food is good tho i do recomending trying it
Enjoyable
Chill and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON16 April 2017
I enjoy working at Dairy Queen, the people are very kind and helpful when I need assistance in something. The training wasn't the best but I understood most of what I was told to do. The hardest part of the job would be having to help customers who are angry and aren't happy with what they have received. The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to meet new people everyday and working with a great group of people who all have positive personalities.
Pros
Positive co-workers, discount on products, great owners
Cons
Not many hours
Fun and enjoyable place to work.
Chill Assosiate (Current Employee) –  Angus, ON15 April 2017
Our managment is wonderful and goes above and beyond to make our staff feel welcome , happy and comfortable. All employees are friendly and kind also helping to great a home like feeling when going to work.
It really is a Sweet Job
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Coaldale, AB15 April 2017
Typically the work day is how any fast food work day is. You take orders and make orders for hours while taking breaks to clean here and there. The management differs from place to place but my manager was amazing and made it very easy to work while in school. The fellow employees were also very nice and we all got along very well.
Pros
Ice cream discount
Cons
Fast food
Best Place to stay for a while - Never left until I had to.
Cashier and Cook (Former Employee) –  Atholville, NB12 April 2017
This job has always been fantastic and if it weren't for my displacement I would currently be working there. Dairy Queen had a great impact on my leadership skills and my customer service skills, I dealt with full -time summers , the busiest times ever, and handled it professionally and under pressure. The job was very laid back, and it was not entirely strict. I had to reflect leadership in some instances when employees would insubordinate, although I was not an official shift leader, I was granted permissions to supervise at moments where my night supervisor would leave, leaving me worth something to the company.
Pros
Free Food, laid back breaks
Cons
employees not working hard, too much work to do because of this, etc
Dairy Queen
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Caledonia, ON11 April 2017
A typical day at work was tending to customers, cleaning, and handing out food, and taking many orders.
I learned the fast pace of working in fast food.
The management was very smooth. Ran very well. schedules were e-mailed directly to you.
The hardest part of the job was working in the summer on a very hot day because living (now living in Brantford) in Caledonia everyone wanted ice cream so there was always a constant rush. It wasn't too hard, very fast paced which I like.
The most enjoyable part of the job was putting a smile on people's faces when handing them there food.
Pros
50% off food during work and/or 20% off food when you aren't working
Cons
Not many staff