Dairy Queen

Dairy Queen Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Dairy Queen
Opener/Closer (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: enjoyed the other staff
Cons: air conditioning was awful
I loved working at Dairy Queen. Being able to work with the public was very enjoyable to me. A typical day at work included making treats and cakes. It went by quickly, and it was a great part time job.
Fun place to practice and accumulate work experience
Cashier (Former Employee), Saskatoon SKFebruary 22, 2014
A typical day at work is like: I need to check if all stuffs are refilled or not once I started my shift, after that I need to clean tills and tables, however, customers always have priorities, and serving customers is always the most important thing as a cashier.

I learned pretty much from Dairy Queen, such as efficiently communicating with customers – more... and quickly adapting to fast-paced environment, avoiding mistakes every single minutes etc.

I love working with my coworkers, it is a lot of fun workingwith them, it is an awesome working environment and it's the most enjoyable part of the job. – less
Fun and busy place to work.
Cook,and customer service representive. (Former Employee), Miramichi, NBFebruary 20, 2014
Pros: got to have free ice-cream on a hot day.
Cons: dealing with customers who were ugly about something.
The day was cooking ,cleaning and waiting on customers.Management was good.Enjoyed serving the customers.Had fun making the ice-cream treats
Different Province
Cashier (Former Employee), Strathmore, ABFebruary 13, 2014
Pros: free ice cream
Cons: messy and sticky!
I had a great time working at dairy queen , My co-workers made it a pleasure to get up in the morning and want to go to work. My manager was very nice and was willing to work with me and she took her time teaching me everything about the job , I wasn't rushed into anything blindfolded. The most enjoyable part was being able to have a job in a different – more... province – less
nice place
Food Service Supervisor (Current Employee), Claresholm, ABFebruary 1, 2014
Pros: free meals
nice place to work, customers and staffs are friendly, the employer gave us lots of hours
Any day shift
Supervisor (Current Employee), Fredericton, NBJanuary 31, 2014
A typical shift at Dairy Queen is usually a lot of fun, co-workers are awesome, a good range of ages and maturity levels. I was able to learn different positions, like being trained then a normal employ, to a supervisor and recently know how to work grill. There is a lot of memorization in this job with how to handle situations and how to make many – more... different items on the menu. The hardest part of the job would be dealing with customers or my co-workers who are still in high school. Overall it is a great place but kind of simple once you get the hang of it. – less
Very nice co-workers
Caissier, au service des clients (Former Employee), Montreal northJanuary 30, 2014
Pros: long hours
I loved working at dairy queen. I learned that pushing yourself to be the best you can is good, not only for yourself but for the customers as well.
Having a work environment where it is enjoyable and productive; at the end of the day, you are proud of what you do!
Manager (Former Employee), Cornwall, ONJanuary 21, 2014
Pros: as manger, i set the "tone & atmosphere" for the business, making it an enjoyable place to work for the staff, control over selecting and training a great team, great salary, free food
Cons: 24hr / 7 day a week responsibility
A typical day at Dairy Queen would mean arriving each morning around 8 am ( my scheduled hours 9am -5pm); I would check the overall appearance of the business, to ensure that the closing staff did their job correctly and make note of changes/ corrections to be addressed. Communicate with Day Staff as to what is necessary for food prep., store cleaning, – more... ordering of supplies, etc. to ensure all tasks are set in an organized manner. All Company Standards must be met on a daily basis and this was my responsibility. Review previous daily sales and prepare bank deposits. Continuously monitor and work with the staff to achieve good customer service.
The best part of being a Manager is having your team totally respect you; I believe that when you work "side by side" with your employees, praise and encourage them, plus do some of the unpleasant tasks yourself, you can create a wonderful staff. I also earned their respect by accommodating their work schedule around their important personal activities (dance, hockey, soccer, base ball, etc.) Having employees that can still participate in their hobbies while juggling a work schedule, makes a happier worker! A great Manager or Leader should interact with his/her staff so they know that you are approachable.
The hardest part of the job was unreasonable customers. Trying to control irate people can be frustrating when "the customer is always right"!
As a Manager, I learnt that you can "make or break" someone's day. An upset customer can quickly have their mood turned around when you show compassion and great service. An employee with low self esteem can build confidence with a great Leader. Being a Manager at Dairy Queen was an awesome career. – less
Great Stepping Stone
Full Time Storefront/ Drive-Thru/ Stock (Former Employee), Burlington, ONJanuary 20, 2014
Working at Dairy Queen was a great start to my working career, they had a great working environment with a happy atmosphere. Who doesn't like to serve people ice cream!?

A typical day at work involved:
Opening the store
Working Drive-Thru
Making and preparing food (Cones, Blizzards, Shakes, Cakes etc.)
Cleaning the store
Stocking frozen food
Fun workplace with a laid back attitude.
Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 20, 2014
I had fun there and it was good for awhile but its no career. The management is alright and the hours are okay but outside free ice cream this place is like any other fast food restaurant.
Productive fun & working place
Server (Current Employee), Niagara Falls, ONJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: discounts on the food and ice cream
Cons: rude customers
Dairy Queen was and still is one of the best places I work they treat me like a great worker they value me just like any one else they employ and everyone there is on their game we all pitch in and have each others backs, everyone is a team player and we help each other when we need too & cleaning is done fair and done by everyone.
Fun place to work at but little hours
Customer Service (Former Employee), Whitby, ONJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: friendly
Cons: little hours
I always had fun working there, very friendly staff and was very easy to fit in. Basic easy job that was enjoyable but there was very little hours. I would sometimes go a month without a shift and when I did get shifts they were on call shifts. Other then that great place.
excellent
Cashier (Former Employee), Maple Ridge, BCDecember 19, 2013
Pros: flexable for my situation with school hours.
customer service.
responsibility.
excellent communication.
awesome co-workers.
nothing hard about the job.
interacting with customers/co-workers.
my responsibilities
Assistant Manager and shift leader (Former Employee), Cornwall, ONDecember 4, 2013
I am a quick learner and very independent. After my first four months I was promoted to supervisor in September 2009, it is very rare for such a new employee to get promoted that quickly but I made it possible. As a supervisor my responsibilities were to assign work to the employees and explaining how it should be done to meet my expectations. Also – more... to ensure that the employees are working correctly under their job description. As a supervisor, you evaluate staff performance during the probationary period (first three months). If you have any concerns about an employee’s performance during probation you contact the assistant manager on shift. Furthermore, a supervisor is responsible to count and balance the cashes during the day or at night. I would oversee the process while simultaneously ensuring food and ice cream quality, customer service and that the cleanliness standards are maintained throughout the shift. Finally, the key responsibilities of a supervisor is evidently keeping customers happy and adhering to the safety standards of the restaurants.

In June 2010, I began training new employees all while maintaining my role as supervisor. Therefore I would have some shift where I was specifically a supervisor and other shifts where my basic duties were to train. As a trainer I am responsible for properly showing the techniques on how to make the ice cream products and treat. Most people think it’s simple making an ice cream cone or a sundae, but it is quite difficult as there is a specific weight for each size and each product must had the signature curl at the top. In addition, I am responsible for the outcome of the employee if he is not properly trained it is clear he will not become the best employee as he was not shown properly. I would also teach the employees on how to use the cash and punch in orders.

I remained a trainer for as long as it was required, every now and then to help out with new staff. In May 2013, I was then promoted to assistant manager, all while still helping with trainees. As an assistant manager I am accountable for everything that happens at the workplace. I am the main store key-holder, I am responsible for the store safe: to get cash and change for the register drawers before the restaurant opens. I approve time records and request for time off, I make sure there are enough workers to handle busy periods and I may also send people home during slow periods to keep labor costs down. I make sure the supervisor is maintain his or her responsibilities, if the supervisor is unable to resolve a complaint it is immediately brought to my attention where I help the employees address and resolve the wide variety of concerns and complaints. I have the authority to dismiss an employee if it is well justifiable and their performance is problematic. In addition, my responsibilities include such activities as developing my staff, mentoring, motivating individually and as a group; understanding and supporting diversity; and establishing an effective team.

Personally, I appreciate and value every day I have worked at this restaurant. Considering this was my first job, it has taught me to grow and mature, and develop skills I didn’t even think I had. I became a leader, someone who was valued and appreciated all by mentoring, encouraging, supporting and defending my staff when needed. Finally, I learned the importance of communication and treating people respectably not only with staff but especially with customers. – less
I was a student
Cashier/Server (Current Employee), Amherst, NSDecember 4, 2013
A typical day I would be on cash waiting on customers and cleaning around my work area. when customer are rude to you or other customer. I got alone with co-workers. the most enjoyable part was meeting new people and when my customer leave happy with my service to them.
Productive and fun workplace
Cashier / Ice Cream Cake Maker/Decorator (Current Employee), Brampton, ONDecember 1, 2013
Pros: co-workers and management make the job worth while.
Cons: one 15 min paid break for a 7 hour shift
On a typical day at work I would; sign in early or on time, open the store, restock products in specific containers, set up for making cakes, clean the ice cream machines, organize cake orders and make cakes in the order of priority, check if waffle cones and bowls are out of stock if so replenish them and rotate the old from the new, make cakes starting – more... with peanut allergies, freeze cakes, go on a speedy break, serve customers throughout shift with quality products and with a great attitude. If time permits I often spark conversation , fill, clean and sign out. I've learned how to multitask effectively through relying on memory and ordering tasks based on priority. Management is fair and expect the best of it's employees at all times. Co-workers are friendly and lively and have many aspirations for their future's which is always a positive in the work environment.
The hardest part of the job for me used to be dealing with agitated customers but now I've come to understand the importance of remaining calm cool and collected in order to prevent further conflict. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to try new products at a reduced rate and engaging with the various personality types of customers. – less
Enjoyable workplace
Everything (Current Employee), Woodstock, ONNovember 24, 2013
A typical day at work is to come in with a smile on my face ready to work, clocking in then getting right to work. I would either start with taking peoples order or making their order. It a switch of both, what ever it available or needs to be, ill do it. At the end of the night we all have different cleaning jobs such as cleaning the front or you can – more... clean the back and eating area.
Things that I have learnt from working at Dairy Queen is that you may get costumers that complain but you just have to help them as much as you can. if a costumer has a problem with their food, you would make a new one for them.
I have very happy and exciting co-workers that really enjoy working at Dairy Queen, so it is so much easier to have a good day work. I have very helpful co-workers, they will always be there to teach you new things that you don't know.
One of the hardest part of the job is when you have very rude costumers that yell at you for no reason, but you just have to know how to handle them, which I have learnt to do. You have to stay calm and happy with them and to get them what they want.
The most enjoyable part of my job is going to work to see my co-workers and make peoples food. I really enjoy having the cashier job, so I can take peoples order and give them a warming welcome. – less
fun workplace
Dishes, promoted to prep and line cook (Former Employee), Devon AlbertaNovember 20, 2013
Pros: ice cream
cooking,cleaning dealing with customers.
would go to work after school and start cooking making food
good first job
Caissière (Former Employee), Laval, B5November 18, 2013
Pros: free food
i worked the cash and made the desserts as well. my co-workers were nice, so were my managers.
fun places
cashier (Former Employee), edmonton albertaNovember 11, 2013
Pros: free drinks
Cons: long lunch
dairy queen was a fun place to work at . i learned how to work with the soft serve area such as ice cream , cones and soomthies, the management was good the boss was friendly. my co workers were friendly, fun respectful of others's feelings , the hardest part of the job was working at the tilt for the first time . the most enjoyable part of the job – more... was learning how to work in the chill area and the people – less

About Dairy Queen

Dairy Queen, often abbreviated DQ, is a chain of soft serve and fast food restaurants owned by International Dairy Queen, Inc, – Read more