Dairy Queen Employee Reviews in Canada

I always have something to keep me busy
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 10, 2016
The first person to show up for the evening shift is expected to pick up any garbage seen inside and outside the store. After this you should fill the toppings that are halfway full, and wash any tools that have been used prior to your arrival if they have not been washed already. Throughout your shift it's important to stay attentive and keep yourself busy - clean the counter, change the milk bags, and fill the cone trays.

When costumers enter the store it's expected you drop what you're doing to acknowledge their arrival by greeting and asking them, "what can I get for you?" Interacting with costumers comes naturally to me, and that's why it's my favourite part of the job. If I notice they've been starring at our menu for sometime I approach them and ask if they prefer sweets or salts. Depending on their response I give my opinion on which product I believe they'd enjoy most.
Pros
Walking distance from home
Cons
Not enough hours (2 shifts/week)
Dairy queen job
Dairy Queen (Former Employee) –  Cache Creek, BCMay 26, 2016
It was great but my favorite part was making burgers and learning how to build the perfect ice cream cone. I also enjoyed interacting with my work buddies.
Pros
25% off
Cons
its hard to make ice cream
Productive and fun atmosphere, very chill
Chill Area (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCJuly 9, 2016
Working here helped me work under pressure, and when there weren't any customers, it was very relaxing, I really enjoyed working at DQ
Pros
Discount
fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONAugust 9, 2016
It was a seasonal job, it was fun being able to work around others your age, but customers got too passionate about ice cream so it was a bit of a headache going into work.
can be a fast pace work at times
Assistant Manager / Cake Decorator (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONMarch 8, 2016
a lot of times it is making sure that things are done and ready for busy times. making sure things are clean and tidy. since l decorate the cakes l need to make sure cakes are done and ready for me to decorate.
Hard working staff, no guarantee for hours.
CHILL STAFF/FOOD SERVER (Current Employee) –  5449 Dundas StreetMarch 31, 2016
Fun and efficient staff. No guaranteed hours. Was not provided a large uniform within 2 weeks of working there. Overall decent experience
Pros
Very Simple
Cons
No guarantee for hours.
Great first job experience
Food Server/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSMay 3, 2016
DQ was a great first job experience,where I had the opportunity to work with others, and getting valuable customer service experience and food handling skills.
fun workplace
Ice Cream Server (Current Employee) –  Morinville, ABJune 1, 2016
it is a fun place to work, most of the managers are very nice, the co workers are for the most part great, i just like the fact that it is a safe and fun work environment.
Awful management and horrible work employees
Dairy Queen Employee (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCDecember 12, 2015
The Fleetwood Dairy Queen is awful. The management constantly belittles the employees behind their backs and the employees are horrendous. I have been blamed for incidents several times that were my colleagues doing as well as when threatened by a customer was forced to meet their demands because of the management. If you want to work for Dairy Queen, avoid this store like the plague.
Pros
Store discount
Cons
Awful work envirnoment
Fun environment but poor work conditions and poor management
Employee (Current Employee) –  North York, ONMay 30, 2016
Poor working conditions in the summer, too hot in there to work; however, nice co-workers made the job a fun environment.
Good work environment
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJanuary 4, 2016
As a Shift Leader at Dairy Queen, the main duty and responsibility is to provide customers the highest form of customer service satisfaction which may include but not limited to taking and receiving orders, processing payments, giving the exact change and above all, responding appropriately to whatever the customer needs.
Generally good experience
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 2, 2016
- trained well
- clean store
- good coworkers
- good overall environment
- only small conflicts, usually resolved right away
- stagnant pay
- no benefits
Nice place to work
Food Counter Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 13, 2016
Really decent location, clean interior, and very friendly staff. Nothing at all to complain about. Would recommended to all people especially in summer
Pros
free food
Cons
short hours
Never a Dull Moment
Cook/Cashier (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONJanuary 12, 2016
This is one of the jobs that I've truly enjoyed. Every day brings some sort of an adventure; be it the staff that I get to work with, the people that I meet, or just something that goes awry. The team of 20 people that work there have an amazing dynamic.
Pros
Half off meals during work hours
Cons
Hours are scarce in the winter
good fun place to work
Front Counter Attendant (Former Employee) –  Ponoka, ABMay 16, 2016
second job ive ever had and good workplace to be in people are friendly and coworkers are very nice people. loved working there. miss it lots
Fun workplace
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NBApril 3, 2016
Your typical day at work involved taking customers orders and preparing their food, cleaning your work space, and dining space. The most enjoyable part was your co-workers. It's like one big family!
fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABMarch 30, 2016
Great place to work, good people, wonderful customers, great food.
Loved working with new people. Loved learning new skills, Loved being around the happy customers! always putting a smile on my face
Not worth it
Brazier (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJanuary 7, 2016
Start of the shift means preparing all the ingredients, I learned how to make many different types of burgers and other fast foods. The manager of this location is probably the friendliest and most understand person I've ever worked with. Co-workers are mainly all teenagers either in high-school or just started college/university. Hardest part of the job is dealing with busy lunch and dinner rushes, most enjoyable part is the cooking. It wasn't a difficult job but sometimes when it's really busy everyone starts feeling the stress of having to keep up with the orders and it makes you feel very tired and eventually it gets annoying. Some of the staff members cracked under pressure and would make it difficult for others to continue working peacefully. Overall it wasn't too bad of a place but would never consider going back.
Pros
Free ice cream on breaks, 50% off food on breaks
Cons
Either really busy or nothing to do at all
Diary Queen
Cook (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BCJuly 18, 2016
It was a pleasant experience, however it was only a summer Job. I learned how to multitask and deal with customers who had specific expectations.
Fast-paced and enjoyable workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 27, 2016
This job required me to work cashier, make ice cream for customers, clean and answer calls. The job was very fast-paced and required a lot of team work.

2.7