Dairy Queen Employee Reviews in Canada

a fun part-time job
Kitchen crew (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 20, 2016
overall it was a fun experience working in DQ, but it's lacking of longer term development. That is also a reason I want another job as a young person.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ABFebruary 18, 2016
Dairy queen was my favorite job. I learned how to make milk shakes and blizzards, as well as to cook on the Braizier grill. My boss was a wonderful boss and my co-workers were great to work with. I served many customers daily and my favorite part of my job was serving children there ice cream and watching how happy it made them, especially when i tipped the blizzards upside down. The hardest part of my job was dealing with the customers as some people aren't very friendly. I absolutely loved this job and would defiantly go back to work at any Dairy Queen
Pros
fun job, great company, great experience
non productive time stressed
Cashier/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Salmon Arm, BCFebruary 15, 2016
during a day here i cleaned help customers and was stressed with my coworkers and management. it was hard to want to get to work without being depressed or angry with my job.
fun workplace
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Tantallon, NSFebruary 13, 2016
very unorganized, schedules always changing. Great people to work with, always outgoing and laughter. most enjoyable part is dealing with customers, hardest part is getting time off.
Cons
no hours
Was not a nice place to work
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 11, 2016
The company was hard to work for because of the disrespcet from the employer and other employees. But overall I learn how to communicate nicely with customers and I learned how to cope with disrespect in a positive way.
Very fun staff
Cashier (Former Employee) –  High River, ABFebruary 11, 2016
Took orders, worked in the drive thru, made any ice cream treats, washed dishes, and cleaned restaurant. Has an amazing staff that made working fun!
easy going and a good environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONFebruary 10, 2016
I clock in and go onto the cash register and take orders, then make the order that was taken and hand it out to the customer. I learned to be patient because it would be very busy with crazy line ups on drive thru and service. My management and co-workers were friendly and easy to work with. The hardest part about the job was clearing line ups when it would be really busy and we were short on staff, but we got by. The most enjoyable part was making new friends.
Pros
Discounts on food
Cons
no set breaks
My First Job and I loved it
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCFebruary 3, 2016
I would come in on time, and start to work. That being making blizzards, drinks, making cakes, taking orders, giving small talk to costumers and doing small kitchen work (fries/burgers).

What I learned was working with a close unit of people productively and respectively, you slowly turn into a family and develop bonds that are unbreakable. If the store didn't close down due to the owner not wanting it anymore, I think I would still be working there because the work dynamic was so nice.

The hardest part I would say about this job is saying goodbye when it closed.
Pros
Everything, Co-workers, Management, Costumers, Working life
Cons
Nothing, because work environment was wonderful
productive
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 1, 2016
Clean
learned all the basics of using a cash register and cash handling
hardest part was mopping because the store was very large
very caring staff
enjoyed the good memories made there
greasy work
Cook/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 21, 2016
everyday was a good day, but the environment was brutal, greasy work all day, and working with gross co-workers, i didn't enjoy this job as everyone was so negative.
Pros
free food
Cons
greasy gross work area
Greatly flexible management and friendly co-workers
Grill Cook (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 19, 2016
Well organized and dedicated staff that work well in teamwork demanding situations. Management was highly flexible with the work schedule and would make adjustments when required if supplied with enough notice. Very friendly and professional atmosphere.
Pros
decent hours given especially if asked for.
Cons
Long periods of time standing in front of hot kitchen equipment
Great first Job
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSJanuary 19, 2016
Enjoyed working here it was my first real job stayed for 7 Years.
Hours were good, management tasks were done well, met a lot of people I still call my friends here.
Pros
Life balance
Cons
Near minimum wage
Warm greetings to the customers ,upbeat style in customer service and work as a team in the company.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCJanuary 18, 2016
Warm greetings to the customers,upbeat style in custumer service and work as a team in the company.Offerring the deals and coupons as additional order.
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, ABJanuary 13, 2016
Taking orders, giving a good atmosphere to all customers. I learned to deal with good to bad kinds of customers very quickly. Co-workers always has me smiling.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
Owners
Never a Dull Moment
Cook/Cashier (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONJanuary 12, 2016
This is one of the jobs that I've truly enjoyed. Every day brings some sort of an adventure; be it the staff that I get to work with, the people that I meet, or just something that goes awry. The team of 20 people that work there have an amazing dynamic.
Pros
Half off meals during work hours
Cons
Hours are scarce in the winter
Not worth it
Brazier (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJanuary 7, 2016
Start of the shift means preparing all the ingredients, I learned how to make many different types of burgers and other fast foods. The manager of this location is probably the friendliest and most understand person I've ever worked with. Co-workers are mainly all teenagers either in high-school or just started college/university. Hardest part of the job is dealing with busy lunch and dinner rushes, most enjoyable part is the cooking. It wasn't a difficult job but sometimes when it's really busy everyone starts feeling the stress of having to keep up with the orders and it makes you feel very tired and eventually it gets annoying. Some of the staff members cracked under pressure and would make it difficult for others to continue working peacefully. Overall it wasn't too bad of a place but would never consider going back.
Pros
Free ice cream on breaks, 50% off food on breaks
Cons
Either really busy or nothing to do at all
Fun people and work environment.
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Tottenham, ONJanuary 5, 2016
The people at Dairy Queen are extremely great to work with and the work is not bad. The job is fairly easy to learn. Five hour shifts are the typical shift plus the time it takes to close which is on average about 20-30 minutes. I am looking for another part time job as I don't feel I get enough hours at Dairy Queen and with school approaching quick next year, I need all the hours and work experience I can get.
Cons
Not enough hours. Penalized for booking time off.
Good work environment
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJanuary 4, 2016
As a Shift Leader at Dairy Queen, the main duty and responsibility is to provide customers the highest form of customer service satisfaction which may include but not limited to taking and receiving orders, processing payments, giving the exact change and above all, responding appropriately to whatever the customer needs.
productive
Server and dessert maker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 30, 2015
Dairy queen is a decent place to work at the working environment is decent depending on which employees you are working with.
Pros
50% discount
Cons
only get discount when you work
Not fulfilling needs and expectations.
Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Armstrong, BCDecember 23, 2015
Hours are not sufficient, trainees receive more hours than staff in slow times, staff is not team based or friendly. There is more gossip than a grade 9 drama class. Training is lacking over the long term but initial training is satisfactory. Management is vigilant and fair, though the schedules are not planned far enough ahead. Staff does not receive set hours over long term, making shifts hard to plan ahead for. Staff receives 30% off food for themselves but only while on their shift. Over all system is flawed due to the fact that only the people on cash can operate the tills, this is a flaw because when it is busy and one of the people on cash is busy elsewhere, only one till is operational, creating even more congestion. Not much, if any, opportunity for advancement.
Pros
30% off food on shift.
Cons
No hours, no advancement, drama-centric staff.