Dairy Queen
1,777 reviews

Dairy Queen Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun place to work at but little hours
Customer Service (Former Employee), Whitby, ONJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: friendly
Cons: little hours
I always had fun working there, very friendly staff and was very easy to fit in. Basic easy job that was enjoyable but there was very little hours. I would sometimes go a month without a shift and when I did get shifts they were on call shifts. Other then that great place.
excellent
Cashier (Former Employee), Maple Ridge, BCDecember 19, 2013
Pros: flexable for my situation with school hours.
customer service.
responsibility.
excellent communication.
awesome co-workers.
nothing hard about the job.
interacting with customers/co-workers.
my responsibilities
Assistant Manager and shift leader (Former Employee), Cornwall, ONDecember 4, 2013
I am a quick learner and very independent. After my first four months I was promoted to supervisor in September 2009, it is very rare for such a new employee to get promoted that quickly but I made it possible. As a supervisor my responsibilities were to assign work to the employees and explaining how it should be done to meet my expectations. Also – more... to ensure that the employees are working correctly under their job description. As a supervisor, you evaluate staff performance during the probationary period (first three months). If you have any concerns about an employee’s performance during probation you contact the assistant manager on shift. Furthermore, a supervisor is responsible to count and balance the cashes during the day or at night. I would oversee the process while simultaneously ensuring food and ice cream quality, customer service and that the cleanliness standards are maintained throughout the shift. Finally, the key responsibilities of a supervisor is evidently keeping customers happy and adhering to the safety standards of the restaurants.

In June 2010, I began training new employees all while maintaining my role as supervisor. Therefore I would have some shift where I was specifically a supervisor and other shifts where my basic duties were to train. As a trainer I am responsible for properly showing the techniques on how to make the ice cream products and treat. Most people think it’s simple making an ice cream cone or a sundae, but it is quite difficult as there is a specific weight for each size and each product must had the signature curl at the top. In addition, I am responsible for the outcome of the employee if he is not properly trained it is clear he will not become the best employee as he was not shown properly. I would also teach the employees on how to use the cash and punch in orders.

I remained a trainer for as long as it was required, every now and then to help out with new staff. In May 2013, I was then promoted to assistant manager, all while still helping with trainees. As an assistant manager I am accountable for everything that happens at the workplace. I am the main store key-holder, I am responsible for the store safe: to get cash and change for the register drawers before the restaurant opens. I approve time records and request for time off, I make sure there are enough workers to handle busy periods and I may also send people home during slow periods to keep labor costs down. I make sure the supervisor is maintain his or her responsibilities, if the supervisor is unable to resolve a complaint it is immediately brought to my attention where I help the employees address and resolve the wide variety of concerns and complaints. I have the authority to dismiss an employee if it is well justifiable and their performance is problematic. In addition, my responsibilities include such activities as developing my staff, mentoring, motivating individually and as a group; understanding and supporting diversity; and establishing an effective team.

Personally, I appreciate and value every day I have worked at this restaurant. Considering this was my first job, it has taught me to grow and mature, and develop skills I didn’t even think I had. I became a leader, someone who was valued and appreciated all by mentoring, encouraging, supporting and defending my staff when needed. Finally, I learned the importance of communication and treating people respectably not only with staff but especially with customers. – less
I was a student
Cashier/Server (Current Employee), Amherst, NSDecember 4, 2013
A typical day I would be on cash waiting on customers and cleaning around my work area. when customer are rude to you or other customer. I got alone with co-workers. the most enjoyable part was meeting new people and when my customer leave happy with my service to them.
Productive and fun workplace
Cashier / Ice Cream Cake Maker/Decorator (Current Employee), Brampton, ONDecember 1, 2013
Pros: co-workers and management make the job worth while.
Cons: one 15 min paid break for a 7 hour shift
On a typical day at work I would; sign in early or on time, open the store, restock products in specific containers, set up for making cakes, clean the ice cream machines, organize cake orders and make cakes in the order of priority, check if waffle cones and bowls are out of stock if so replenish them and rotate the old from the new, make cakes starting – more... with peanut allergies, freeze cakes, go on a speedy break, serve customers throughout shift with quality products and with a great attitude. If time permits I often spark conversation , fill, clean and sign out. I've learned how to multitask effectively through relying on memory and ordering tasks based on priority. Management is fair and expect the best of it's employees at all times. Co-workers are friendly and lively and have many aspirations for their future's which is always a positive in the work environment.
The hardest part of the job for me used to be dealing with agitated customers but now I've come to understand the importance of remaining calm cool and collected in order to prevent further conflict. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to try new products at a reduced rate and engaging with the various personality types of customers. – less
Enjoyable workplace
Everything (Current Employee), Woodstock, ONNovember 24, 2013
A typical day at work is to come in with a smile on my face ready to work, clocking in then getting right to work. I would either start with taking peoples order or making their order. It a switch of both, what ever it available or needs to be, ill do it. At the end of the night we all have different cleaning jobs such as cleaning the front or you can – more... clean the back and eating area.
Things that I have learnt from working at Dairy Queen is that you may get costumers that complain but you just have to help them as much as you can. if a costumer has a problem with their food, you would make a new one for them.
I have very happy and exciting co-workers that really enjoy working at Dairy Queen, so it is so much easier to have a good day work. I have very helpful co-workers, they will always be there to teach you new things that you don't know.
One of the hardest part of the job is when you have very rude costumers that yell at you for no reason, but you just have to know how to handle them, which I have learnt to do. You have to stay calm and happy with them and to get them what they want.
The most enjoyable part of my job is going to work to see my co-workers and make peoples food. I really enjoy having the cashier job, so I can take peoples order and give them a warming welcome. – less
fun workplace
Dishes, promoted to prep and line cook (Former Employee), Devon AlbertaNovember 20, 2013
Pros: ice cream
cooking,cleaning dealing with customers.
would go to work after school and start cooking making food
good first job
Caissière (Former Employee), Laval, B5November 18, 2013
Pros: free food
i worked the cash and made the desserts as well. my co-workers were nice, so were my managers.
fun places
cashier (Former Employee), edmonton albertaNovember 11, 2013
Pros: free drinks
Cons: long lunch
dairy queen was a fun place to work at . i learned how to work with the soft serve area such as ice cream , cones and soomthies, the management was good the boss was friendly. my co workers were friendly, fun respectful of others's feelings , the hardest part of the job was working at the tilt for the first time . the most enjoyable part of the job – more... was learning how to work in the chill area and the people – less
Terrible management
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONNovember 6, 2013
Management was sexist in that they believed men must be in the kitchen and not greet the customers. There was no room for advancement in the company. Little training was received. I had learned to improve my multitasking.
Great workplace
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), ottawa ontarioNovember 5, 2013
Friendly co workers and friendly customers.I was responsible for opening the store and getting the cashes ready,cleaning of the equipment and decorating cakes.Dairy queen was a great place to work at.
making ice cream is fun
Restaurant Team Member (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBOctober 31, 2013
learned a lot of new stuffs like being creative on making cake decorations
A little bit too hard
Kitchen Helper (Current Employee), Golden, B.C.October 22, 2013
Pros: 50% off for the food
Cons: long hours
the work requires lots of patience and stamina which i believe i possessed. the hardest part of the job is when you do your job in the kitchen/fryer which is so hot, then you go inside the freezer & cooler to get your stuff. My co-workers were all good and easy to be with.
fast paced
cook (Former Employee), Maple ridgeOctober 18, 2013
Pros: 50% off food and icecream
Cons: not many shifts
learned a lot about being punctual and work in a fast paced environment. Managers helped where they could and were understanding about scenarios. Good co-workers. Getting the preferred shifts was the hardest part. working hard and learning as I went on.
Great Job for work/life balance
Shift Manager (Former Employee), Fredericton, NBOctober 7, 2013
Pros: paid breaks
Cons: a lot of younger people
I worked with a lot of great people at Dairy Queen. I was shift manager there for about a year and a half. I had a lot of responsibilities as shift manager such as counting floats before and after every shift, making sure I was making decisions based on what was best for the company, making sure everyone was staying busy. I also learned a lot of skills – more... while I was there; I got the opportunity to further advance in customer service skills, social skills, math skills. I was always on time for work. Very prompt. – less
Productive Fun Place
Customer Service (Current Employee), Brantford, ONOctober 3, 2013
Nice co workers
good place if your trying to go to school
good first job experikence
Medium-high volume fast food location.
Supervisor (Former Employee), Thunder Bay, ONSeptember 26, 2013
Pros: above average pay, reliable hours.
Cons: unpredictable at times.
Well structured, well organized and accounting for the unexpected that occurs day to day, well run.

Entrusted me with a supervisory position, plus coaching and training in several new responsibilities of store operations.
It was a really enjoyable job.
Cake Decorator (Former Employee), Newton, BCSeptember 24, 2013
Pros: free lunch.
Cons: not enough shifts or even full shifts, not enough days.
A day at work would go like this..
I would start work 8 or 9 am. Fill in icing bags, make sure my work area was clean. and i would take special cake orders as well as decorating the cakes and dealing with customers and handling thier problems (if they had any). It was a lot of fun working with my co-workers. everyone got a long well and it just made – more... work a lot easier. as for for my job there wasnt really anything hard about it, sometimes it would be a little bit more challenging than other days.. where I would have to decorate more cakes in a short period of time but i still got it done.
the most enjoyable part would have been meeting new people and just the job itself dealing with customers satisfaction.. never really saw a customer leave without a smile on there face. – less
Working at DQ is great. Nice people, good atmosphere, lots of fun.
Grill worker (Current Employee), Young Road, ChilliwackSeptember 24, 2013
Orders come in, we make them, clean up frequently. Always stay stocked, and still have time to have conversations between co-workers.
Typical chain restaurant, great staff, minimal pay.
Cashier (Former Employee), Golden, BCSeptember 16, 2013
I really enjoyed working at Dairy Queen because the staff was always efficient and fun to be around. I took orders and made ice cream and answered the phone and did dishes. Clean-up was mandatory three times a day.

About Dairy Queen

Dairy Queen, often abbreviated DQ, is a chain of soft serve and fast food restaurants owned by International Dairy Queen, Inc, – Read more