Dairy Queen Employee Reviews

A great work place with wonderful team members.
SHIFT SUPERVISOR/CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON6 February 2017
I learned many great things well working here. I really enjoyed working with great team members. The management appreciated your work and paid us accordingly.
Pros
Half price ice-cream well working.
Cons
Extremely busy in the Summer time.
My coworkers made it enjoyable
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 February 2017
Serve guests, costumers always come first.
how to prepare ice-cream, make cakes and cook
The management wasn't the best at being fair, and were often verbally abusive.
Pros
50% off food with Cash
Cons
management
easy going, easy to learn jon
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 February 2017
this job was great to have while in school, it was very flexible and allowed for me to take the days that I needed off without trouble. it was very easy to learn and it was a great first job.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
messy
confidence
Former Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB5 February 2017
in my 2 years working as a supervisor in dairy queen it boost my confidence, handling kids is not easy but because of my patience and consideration we build camaraderie to each other and within the store.
Surrounded hardworking people
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB5 February 2017
A typical day working at this establishment includes you walking in and getting greeted by your colleagues, You change and put on your uniform and ready to start. The day is filled with meeting all kinds of people and if ever in need of help, the other employees come to the rescue. I learned to be calm and confident,The hardest part of this job was overcoming my shyness, I was nervous all the time because I hated talking to people. But I learned to overcome my shyness and conversed easily with costumers. In this specific DQ I worked at, the atmosphere was filled with joy and laughter. The people I worked with were the most hardworking people I have ever met. Everything about this job was enjoyable, I would go back any day.
Pros
Comfortable Environment, Fun, Easygoing
Cons
Cleaning
Fun co workers aside from a few who do not pull their weight in daily duties
Cook (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK4 February 2017
My location is populated with several employees that are unprofessional and inconsiderate towards the next person to come on shift. I am often left with their duties and mine to do when I arrive for my shift.
Pros
50% food
Cons
Short shifts
Fun times
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ON3 February 2017
Diary Queen restaurants are always fun to be as a customer to create your own ice creams but working in them is double fun. I loved the people I worked with and the manager was phenomenal.
Good Place to Work
Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON3 February 2017
Working at Dairy Queen was good. Its good for a student who wants a bit of extra cash but I wouldn't recommend this as a career because there is no money to be made in the long run.
Customer service in fast food
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON2 February 2017
I worked mostly evenings and weekends, which worked for me at the time. I would take orders, fill the orders, and make sure the customer was happy. I was also on the cycle to clean extra dishes and the bathrooms.
not sure how to feel
Cashier (Current Employee) –  London, ON31 January 2017
my co workers are fantastic we all have a family like relationship, but the manegment is lazy and rude. my hours are bad, one shift a week and a guy is getting paid more then me and he is a horrible worker.
Learned to prepare different kinds of desserts
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK31 January 2017
It was a good place to start working and gain all the experience. I was able to learn and make different kinds of desserts. Everybody there was nice and approachable.
Pros
50% in the store you work at
Cons
no 50% in other dq locations
Poor training , poor hours, poor salary
Expeditor (Former Employee) –  Minden, ON30 January 2017
Overall my experience at Dairy Queen was horrible.
I would not recommend this job to anyone, management was all over the place, and quite rude towards lesser employees.
(more so in peterborough than minden)
Pros
Cons
Everything, especially Managers and cleanliness
Fun workplace and always learning
Team Member/Cashier/Cakes (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON30 January 2017
The process to get a job here is quite simple and quick. There was an advertisement online on kijiji for part time positions, and at the time i had really needed a job and already heard that Dairy Queen was a great place to work at from peers. So I quickly emailed them my resume, and asked for consideration for the part. Within 3 days I had received a call where I set an interview day, gotten an interview and email asking to work. The management at my location is wonderful. I have had nothing but god experiences so far, and the workers who trained me did a very good job as i got the hang of things fairly quickly. The hardest part about this job is working grill on a very busy day or during a rush as it is a tight space back there, and you are essentially working alone ( not to say that if you need help you aren't given that). You do need to be able to handle stress in that position and stress upfront as well when making treats on a busy day, and be able to work fast and multitask. But with that you are always working with your co workers making it so much more enjoyable. I myself am on cakes, so I just get to relax in the back, finish up any orders, decorate cakes and when someone is on break I go up front and help there so my shifts are quite easy. For a better visualization In list form i'll describe to you my typical day.

Saturday 10:30 - 3:30 (typically unless asked to stay and help)
-punch in at 10:30 prepared and ready to work
-take note of how many original and blizzard cakes needed to be decorated
-take note on the cake inventory in the freezer
-take
  more... note in how many of the various cakes is needed to be made to refill the freezer after cake shift (give note to chill members so they can prepare and make those)
-take icing bags out and prepare work place with the turntable and wet cloth and putting an apron on to keep uniform clean
-decorate any orders and pay close attention to details with colour and writing
- decorate how ever many original cakes to your own creativity
- decorate blizzard cakes with corresponding toppings
- when someone is on break help out in the chill area
-when someone needs help in the grill area help out
- keep work area cleaned
- whenever someone comes into store and needs a note written on a cake, you are responsible for writing typically
-clock out after 5 hr shift, possibly longer if you are asked to stay
- receive your discount on food and drinks to take home or eat during shift
Pros
50% discounts (combos, and novelties not included), proper training, friendly work environment, and fun
Cons
can be stressful during rushes and busy season
bad place to work.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 January 2017
the management was not good. they would force the workers to work even when sick with the flu otherwise workers would love jobs. they payed under minimum wage.
Not a great work environment
Restaurant Worker (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB28 January 2017
Typically, customer satisfaction and service were put on the back burner for profit. Any slight mistake would result in massive punishment, from lost wages to losing hours. Would not recommend employment at dairy queen
Great job for learning how to deal with customers. Overall good experience for me.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 January 2017
It was a good job for a high school student. The staff gets along and works well as a group. This job was flexible with the staffs schedule, especially as a student.
already reviewed
Tenth Line Rd. - Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 January 2017
already reviewed this restaurent. please see other review, thank you.
enjoyable place good people good location good food good ice cream good atmosphere
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Fun workplace, bad management
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 January 2017
I have no problem with the company itself, it is the management. The customers are overall friendly and kind, my coworkers are amazing. Our hours are not very good. Most part-time people get 5 hours a week maximum.
Pros
50% off when working
Cons
management
Great employers
Server and food preparation (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, NB25 January 2017
The management are the companies strong suit! They offer a lot of flexibility and ensure all of your personal needs taken into consideration. Although you work with many young students, the establishment is very well run with little to no drama.
Pros
Great work environment
Fun fast paced job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB25 January 2017
A typical day at work for me is to restock, clean and start the ice cream machines. I made sure that everything was ready for when the store opened.I learned communication skills and how to handle stressful days.
Pros
50% discount
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dairy Queen. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7