Dairy Queen

2.9K reviews

Dairy Queen Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Friendly staff, fun to work, fast paced
Supervisor (Former Employee), 6888 North Island HighwayJuly 10, 2015
Co-workers were friendly, fun, fast paced environment. Boss was very friendly and understanding Convenient location and hours. Overall a pretty good place to work.
AWESOME
Cook basic (Former Employee), Winnipeg, ManitobaJuly 7, 2015
Pros: Free food and ice cream.
Cons: No cons
I really should have never quit working at Dairy Queen. I enjoyed every shift and every co-worker. The food was great, and I made a lot of friends working there.
productive and fun workplace
Supervisor/Food Counter Attendant (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJune 30, 2015
I used to work with enthusiasm at Dairy Queen, working typically either day or night depending on the shifts that usually provided. Working hard is the best issue in order to succeed in a specific job your longing to be in a part. The things that I learned in this job is to be more patient, be responsible in all actions, know how to mingle with co-workers, go with the flow not too hot headed, following rules and regulations of the store/management and most all the dedication and love your work.. Hardest part of this of this is that the blame is on you because you are superior than others but you need to defend yourself. And of course dealing with the customers' complain needs more patient. But one thing that I enjoyed is having some circle of friends you can rely on and the used of skills in designing of cakes.
Fun place to work but bad management
Cashier (Former Employee), Montréal, QCJune 25, 2015
I had a good experience overall. It was a fun place to work but the boss was very unorganized and irresponsible. I would love to work there again but perhaps a different boss and location.
Productive, enjoyable environment to work in.
Customer Service (Current Employee), Greenwood, NSJune 22, 2015
I enjoy being able to serve customers a fresh meal, and provide friendly service. I work with my co-workers to help maintain a clean environment that allows customers to enjoy their visit at Dairy Queen.
Fast paced especially during the Summer, Hardworking team
Shift supervisor (Former Employee), Waterdown, ONJune 22, 2015
Pros: 50% Discount, Great Employees
Cons: Broken Chocolate Ice Cream Machine
Working hard makes you eligible to receive more hours as desired. Great hardworking team, fast paced but friendly environment. Customers are always the highest priority
productive work environment
Cashier (Part-time) (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJune 18, 2015
- stocking of food
- making of ice cream cakes
- operations of front cashier and drive thru
- responsible for making deserts
- dishes and cleaning
Pretty good
Cook (Current Employee), Saint John, NBJune 15, 2015
Pros: 50% off during break
Cons: no direct deposit
The typical day at work involves a lot of customer service and cooking. i learned that you need to work hard in order to succeed in the workplace. the management could be a bit better its a little slack but it is alright. My co-workers are awesome I loved every single one of them, we have our differences but i still enjoy them. the hardest part is just when it gets super hectic and busy. the most enjoyable part however is just having such great co-workers.
Great work environment,
Customer service (Former Employee), Victoria, BCJune 9, 2015
Pros: discount on food, my coworkers were great
Cons: closing shifts, only because of less frequent bus hours
Work day to day were great, especially working with my co-workers.
We had such a fantastic team work going.

My manager was very understanding when I asked for time off, very flexible if we needed to have to switch shifts with someone else.

Typical day at work is helping customers, answering questions about the drinks we provide. Mix smoothies and julius, mix blizzards, let customers know of allergens if asked.
Fun work place
Server (Former Employee), Grimsby, ONJune 8, 2015
typical day at work was going through stuff they needed to be done such as duties of refilling candy, changing milk machine etc.
I learned communication skills, dealing with money, interpersonal skills
coworkers all very nice and willing to teach
Good introduction to the restaurant industry.
Grill cook (Former Employee), Halifax, NSJune 5, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: non specif closing hours
Working at dairy queen I learned that any job no matter how small, is worth taking your time and doing perfectly even in a fast paced environment. The management was excellent always on top of all problems seemingly before they even began. The work was difficult it demands an ability to effectively multitask many things at once. Such as making the food, cleaning the kitchen, and stocking the fridge. with a stop to wash your hands in between each station to prevent cross contamination.
Difficult
Front End Cashier (Former Employee), Kincardine, ONJune 5, 2015
Pros: Free Ice cream
Cons: Threats
This was my first job in a store front place. I had good times and bad times. I was working late nights all the time never days. I was able to get along with my other co-workers and we were able to maintain a friendship through the time we were all there. I learned how to make ice cream and all the different ways to create a desert. As well I was able to maintain a somewhat clean environment. It got sticky after two blizzards. But always made sure my food area looked good. The Management there was not at all good. The head manager was so rude and disrespectful that I was not the only one who wanted to get out of there. When she called me in to fire me she gave a very petty excuse and let me walk out of the store that night not knowing what had happened that day. She also threaded us on more occasion then one and made sure we were her slaves when she was on duty. The other managers where so calming and just made sure everyone was doing there jobs right and having fun while doing it. We where never yelled at or threaded and by the end of the night we were all laughing and throwing jokes around while cleaning. The hardest part about this job I could never have a real smile when the head manager was around and always being treated like I was at the bottom of the food chain. The best part was that i got to meet some really cool people not only from Canada but People from Europe and the USA.
Good summer job
Cashier (Former Employee), Emerald Park, SKJune 4, 2015
Pros: Discounted foods
Cons: you had to be inside during nice days
Nice place to work for the summer.
I would make the cool treats, work the cash register, and deal with customers.
Most people who worked there were nice and friendly,
I found mastering the ice cream swirl on top a challenge, but I mastered it.
I found serving the customers very enjoyable, especially seeing the look on the little children's faces when you give them their ice cream.
Not the best.
Grill Cook (Former Employee), Nanaimo, BCMay 29, 2015
Dairy Queen didn't have the best job environment to work in. Most of the machines were either broken or slightly broken.
High stress enviroment
Bus Boy and Prep Cook (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCMay 27, 2015
Pros: Free lunches, Alot of friendships.
Cons: High stress
I would clean tables, bathrooms, counters, and dishes. I would also help stock make the ice cream bars and keep up Buns and Burgers through the grill during rush hour. All my co-workers were really nice and fun. My manager was a good guy. The hard part of the job was stress, the more enjoyable parts were cooking.
very hard for me
Cashier (Former Employee), Golden, BCMay 20, 2015
Working at Dairy Queen was very difficult for me, it was hard to keep up with everything. Some of the co-workers I found to be really nice while others were hard to get along with.
fun work environment, enjoyable coworkers, exceptional owner and management
Supervisor (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABMay 19, 2015
hardest part of the job is how busy it can get. Higher stress level then some jobs and many different things to do. I enjoyed the staff members and co-workers. Management is respectable and passionate.
it was fun,
Ice cream server/ cook (Former Employee), Niagara Falls, ONMay 15, 2015
Pros: had discount on alot of ice cream
i learned how to work alot faster, i learned more how to muilty task by working more then one station.
we all worked together on the the closing list sometimes we would make it a race to see who can get the most things done
Pretty decent
Basic cashier (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBMay 14, 2015
didnt like coming home covered in icecream. But it was worth it in the end. a very good starting job.the staff was very helpfu with any problems you had.
Interesting place to work, great enviroment
product maker (Former Employee), Trenton, ONMay 13, 2015
Cons: Bad hours, managment
I world stalk cones and spoons, make sure everything is in working order and full. I learned how to balance school and work, my co-workers were great, fun people to work with and just great people to be around.

The hardest part was learning all of the recipes for the ice cream and blizzards, food, and all that.

The most enjoyable part was just generally being there and working.