Dairy Queen Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Was not a nice place to work
Customer service (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 11, 2016
The company was hard to work for because of the disrespcet from the employer and other employees. But overall I learn how to communicate nicely with customers and I learned how to cope with disrespect in a positive way.
Very fun staff
Cashier (Former Employee), High River, ABFebruary 11, 2016
Took orders, worked in the drive thru, made any ice cream treats, washed dishes, and cleaned restaurant. Has an amazing staff that made working fun!
easy going and a good environment
Cashier (Former Employee), Richmond Hill, ONFebruary 10, 2016
Pros: Discounts on food
Cons: no set breaks
I clock in and go onto the cash register and take orders, then make the order that was taken and hand it out to the customer. I learned to be patient because it would be very busy with crazy line ups on drive thru and service. My management and co-workers were friendly and easy to work with. The hardest part about the job was clearing line ups when it would be really busy and we were short on staff, but we got by. The most enjoyable part was making new friends.
My First Job and I loved it
Cashier (Former Employee), Richmond, BCFebruary 3, 2016
Pros: Everything, Co-workers, Management, Costumers, Working life
Cons: Nothing, because work environment was wonderful
I would come in on time, and start to work. That being making blizzards, drinks, making cakes, taking orders, giving small talk to costumers and doing small kitchen work (fries/burgers).

What I learned was working with a close unit of people productively and respectively, you slowly turn into a family and develop bonds that are unbreakable. If the store didn't close down due to the owner not wanting it anymore, I think I would still be working there because the work dynamic was so nice.

The hardest part I would say about this job is saying goodbye when it closed.
productive
Cashier (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 1, 2016
Clean
learned all the basics of using a cash register and cash handling
hardest part was mopping because the store was very large
very caring staff
enjoyed the good memories made there
greasy work
Cook/Cashier (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 21, 2016
Pros: free food
Cons: greasy gross work area
everyday was a good day, but the environment was brutal, greasy work all day, and working with gross co-workers, i didn't enjoy this job as everyone was so negative.
Greatly flexible management and friendly co-workers
Grill Cook (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 19, 2016
Pros: decent hours given especially if asked for.
Cons: Long periods of time standing in front of hot kitchen equipment
Well organized and dedicated staff that work well in teamwork demanding situations. Management was highly flexible with the work schedule and would make adjustments when required if supplied with enough notice. Very friendly and professional atmosphere.
Great first Job
Shift Manager (Former Employee), Sydney, NSJanuary 19, 2016
Pros: Life balance
Cons: Near minimum wage
Enjoyed working here it was my first real job stayed for 7 Years.
Hours were good, management tasks were done well, met a lot of people I still call my friends here.
Warm greetings to the customers ,upbeat style in customer service and work as a team in the company.
Cashier (Former Employee), Richmond, BCJanuary 18, 2016
Warm greetings to the customers,upbeat style in custumer service and work as a team in the company.Offerring the deals and coupons as additional order.
CASHIER (Former Employee), Cold Lake, ABJanuary 13, 2016
Pros: Fun environment
Cons: Owners
Taking orders, giving a good atmosphere to all customers. I learned to deal with good to bad kinds of customers very quickly. Co-workers always has me smiling.
Never a Dull Moment
Cook/Cashier (Current Employee), St. Catharines, ONJanuary 12, 2016
Pros: Half off meals during work hours
Cons: Hours are scarce in the winter
This is one of the jobs that I've truly enjoyed. Every day brings some sort of an adventure; be it the staff that I get to work with, the people that I meet, or just something that goes awry. The team of 20 people that work there have an amazing dynamic.
Not worth it
Brazier (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONJanuary 7, 2016
Pros: Free ice cream on breaks, 50% off food on breaks
Cons: Either really busy or nothing to do at all
Start of the shift means preparing all the ingredients, I learned how to make many different types of burgers and other fast foods. The manager of this location is probably the friendliest and most understand person I've ever worked with. Co-workers are mainly all teenagers either in high-school or just started college/university. Hardest part of the job is dealing with busy lunch and dinner rushes, most enjoyable part is the cooking. It wasn't a difficult job but sometimes when it's really busy everyone starts feeling the stress of having to keep up with the orders and it makes you feel very tired and eventually it gets annoying. Some of the staff members cracked under pressure and would make it difficult for others to continue working peacefully. Overall it wasn't too bad of a place but would never consider going back.
Fun people and work environment.
Team Member (Current Employee), Tottenham, ONJanuary 5, 2016
Cons: Not enough hours. Penalized for booking time off.
The people at Dairy Queen are extremely great to work with and the work is not bad. The job is fairly easy to learn. Five hour shifts are the typical shift plus the time it takes to close which is on average about 20-30 minutes. I am looking for another part time job as I don't feel I get enough hours at Dairy Queen and with school approaching quick next year, I need all the hours and work experience I can get.
Good work environment
Shift Leader (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONJanuary 4, 2016
As a Shift Leader at Dairy Queen, the main duty and responsibility is to provide customers the highest form of customer service satisfaction which may include but not limited to taking and receiving orders, processing payments, giving the exact change and above all, responding appropriately to whatever the customer needs.
productive
Server and dessert maker (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 30, 2015
Pros: 50% discount
Cons: only get discount when you work
Dairy queen is a decent place to work at the working environment is decent depending on which employees you are working with.
Not fulfilling needs and expectations.
Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Armstrong, BCDecember 23, 2015
Pros: 30% off food on shift.
Cons: No hours, no advancement, drama-centric staff.
Hours are not sufficient, trainees receive more hours than staff in slow times, staff is not team based or friendly. There is more gossip than a grade 9 drama class. Training is lacking over the long term but initial training is satisfactory. Management is vigilant and fair, though the schedules are not planned far enough ahead. Staff does not receive set hours over long term, making shifts hard to plan ahead for. Staff receives 30% off food for themselves but only while on their shift. Over all system is flawed due to the fact that only the people on cash can operate the tills, this is a flaw because when it is busy and one of the people on cash is busy elsewhere, only one till is operational, creating even more congestion. Not much, if any, opportunity for advancement.
Actively fun place with loving co-workers, and free ice-cream.
Cashier (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 22, 2015
Pros: Free ice-cream, friendly customers
Cons: one 30-min break
Dairy Queen was an absolute joy to work at. I'd always look forward to my next shift as I'd be seeing the rest of the amazing staff at the location as well as the job itself made work fairly easy for me. A typical day would include putting on my uniform and heading straight to the front to begin my work of serving soft-serve sweets to customers. This would continue until closing where we then as a team begin daily clean-up which would include basic tasks such as dish-washing, throwing out and garbage, and mopping/sweeping. The most difficult part of the job was dealing with unpleasant customers but of course it's a package-deal when it comes to working anywhere. The best part was hands down the staff at the restaurant. They were friendly and loving people who supported each other through each step and are what kept Dairy Queen so successful. I still keep in contact with them to this day. I overall loved working and hope to relive the feeling again.
productive and fun to be part of Dairy Queen company
Cashier (Current Employee), Estevan, SKDecember 20, 2015
So far my experience of working in Dairy Queen is the best, Good and thoughtful employer and friendly and dedicated co-workers.
Good Place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Tottenham, ONDecember 19, 2015
Loved working here, The owner was easy to deal with would recommend this place to anyone. I would love to be able to manage a Dairy Queen.
Awful management and horrible work employees
Dairy Queen Employee (Former Employee), Surrey, BCDecember 12, 2015
Pros: Store discount
Cons: Awful work envirnoment
The Fleetwood Dairy Queen is awful. The management constantly belittles the employees behind their backs and the employees are horrendous. I have been blamed for incidents several times that were my colleagues doing as well as when threatened by a customer was forced to meet their demands because of the management. If you want to work for Dairy Queen, avoid this store like the plague.