Dairy Queen Employee Reviews

I enjoyed working at Dairy Queen
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Yonge, ON16 March 2016
I enjoyed working here very much. All the employees were very helpful and it was a friendly environment. Everyone helped me while I was in training and I was able to catch on quickly. The manger was very cooperative and gave me longer hours when I requested so. It was very past pace and slightly hectic at times which is expected with fast food restaurants. I always had something to do, and I learned to think and act quickly. Working here was a great experience for me.
Pros
relaxing compared to fast food jobs
Cons
long hours, few employees
Friendly environment and great work ethics
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB14 April 2016
Cashier. That you need to keep on your toes and make sure that the customers are happy. Management was excellent; knew how to handle tough situations. Co-workers all got along with each other and an excellent staff. The hardest were summer rushes but we were able to get through it with each others help. The most enjoyable was the customers but all the staff they were all making sure that everyone was okay and made sure that if you needed help they would help you.
Great employees with greater management
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK26 May 2016
Dairy Queen has got to be my most enjoyable job yet. The staff are all incredible friendly and not at all clique-y. The managers are all super fair and understanding, they are very open to your needs.
This job taught me the importance of order of operations, how to quickly prepare quality food and to communicate well with others.
The hardest part of the job would have to be dealing with a mess or an incorrectly prepared order while mid-rush.
Pros
50% off food 30 minutes before or after shift (or during)
Cons
As with any service-industry position, snooty customers.
Productive and fun workplace.
Cake Decorator / Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 October 2016
A fun, fast faced environment. Great deals for employees with regards to food. I enjoyed most of my time decorating cakes for our customers.
Pros
free meals
Cons
short hours
Upbeat, Fast Paced Workplace.
Cashier/Food-Runner (Former Employee) –  Invermere, BC3 September 2016
Dairy Queen was one of the best places I've worked at, my managers/store owners were amazing and jumped at every chance to make the our location the best! Our store won a couple to awards and actually made it into the newspaper. Loved my co-workers and would jump at a chance to work with the team/company again.
Easy Going
Part-Time Employee (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC7 July 2016
GREAT Managers and Staff, overall fun place to work. Scheduling can be a bit hectic and changes frequently, but management is MORE THAN WILLING to work around your schedule if you give notice
Pros
50% off, Great Staff
Cons
smelling like dairy queen for weeks
Not fulfilling needs and expectations.
Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Armstrong, BC23 December 2015
Hours are not sufficient, trainees receive more hours than staff in slow times, staff is not team based or friendly. There is more gossip than a grade 9 drama class. Training is lacking over the long term but initial training is satisfactory. Management is vigilant and fair, though the schedules are not planned far enough ahead. Staff does not receive set hours over long term, making shifts hard to plan ahead for. Staff receives 30% off food for themselves but only while on their shift. Over all system is flawed due to the fact that only the people on cash can operate the tills, this is a flaw because when it is busy and one of the people on cash is busy elsewhere, only one till is operational, creating even more congestion. Not much, if any, opportunity for advancement.
Pros
30% off food on shift.
Cons
No hours, no advancement, drama-centric staff.
Fun Workplace
Server (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON16 November 2016
In my opinion, DQ is a great environment to work in because you are able to build essential relationships with co-workers and customers. It's a fun and happy place to be in especially during the summer.
Pros
Great Managing
Cons
Lack of hours during cold months
Wonderful place to learn and grow
Ponoka Alberta, Part Time (Former Employee) –  Ponoka, AB3 April 2016
This location is a slight oddity for myself under the actual amount of time I worked here. I had been hired originally by a third party to aid in renovation construction of the location and was subsequently groomed to be an assisting manager before my unfortunately time departure from this location.

The managerial staff was, mostly, friendly and understanding of the other staff and their wishes while the kitchen staff, at the time, were abrasive and condescending of all the other staff. Post renovation upon the proper hiring of myself to the payroll the training was well designed so one would have little difficulties becoming accustomed to the various events happening simultaneously in the store.
Pros
welcoming staff, 50% off meals
Cons
abrasive kitchen staff
productive
Cashier (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON24 June 2016
I enjoyed working as an employee at dairy queen, my typical days at work included a lot of multitasking and assuring great customer service, I learnt how to manage time & how to utilize my skills such as interacting with customers,my coworkers at the time were great and the hardest part of the job would have been stock, most enjoyable part of the job would be everything.
Pros
50% discount
Cons
One 15 minute breaks after a 6 hour shift
Ensures customer satisfaction, fast-paced, efficient environment
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON24 April 2016
Dairy Queen was a fast-paced environment aimed to provide quality food for customers. Employees were to work fast to ensure satisfaction, yet provide quality. At Dairy Queen, I learned to further my customer service skilled, prepare food, and work a cashier. Fellow employees were all kind and skilled. The hardest yet also most enjoyable part of the job was the fast-paced environment. Dairy Queen was very busy in the summer, yet this pace made work enjoyable as there was always something to do and it allowed workers to improve themselves and their skills.
Dairy Queen
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Weyburn, SK8 May 2016
A typical day at work is always very busy, friendly faces, and happy customers. I have learned how to be faster at customer service, run the cashier desk on my own, make ice cream and I learned how important it is to have friends at work, someone to have your back as well. My co-workers are amazing, so very helpful, smiling and they have helped me to break out of my shy shell and show people who I really am. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I see the customer enjoying their days, and have a smiling welcome.
Pros
Discounts, Friends, Satisfied Customers.
Cons
Overwhelming, busy
Memorable
Cashier, Ice Cream Dispenser and Designer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 November 2016
Working at Dairy Queen helped me understand and gain critical food safety and handling. It was a great learning experience for food efficiency and customer engagement.
Pros
discounts on food
Fun and Exciting
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  London, ON14 November 2016
This is a fun and exciting place to work where you can learn many customer service skills along with food safety and product knowledge. greatly supportive team environment.
Pros
Discounts! make new friends!
always busy
Cashier cook and cake decorator (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC15 July 2016
Most of the time it was always busy. I loved the girls that i worked with and they always worked around my schedules. Dairy Queen was a decent place to work
Pros
good at getting days off
Cons
free food
Fun and Enjoyable
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sault-Sainte-Marie, ON18 November 2016
Good place to work, and learn skills firsthand. The balance of work between you and your co-workers will give you respite throughout the shift. Great place to enter into the workplace.
First Job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON5 November 2015
As my first job, it was a milestone that I crossed. Meeting different characters in a daily basis. Relating to each customers by understanding their tastes. This job educated me of the basic foundation of sales.
Pros
Sales experiance
Cons
Salary
Great Place to be
Sales Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NB22 October 2016
Dairy Queen has been a great place to work at. It is a team oriented place to work. And a great place to recommend. Being my first job experience i do not regret.
Ice Cream and Food
Night Manager (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC2 November 2016
Was great working with the owner and co workers I learned how to make ice cream cakes and blizzards. Hardest parts of the job were difficult customers.
Pros
free sundaes
Cons
long shifts sometimes
Good Atmosphere to work in
Shift leader (Current Employee) –  Orleans, ON18 October 2016
The people are really nice and its an overall enjoyable place to work. the hours are flexible and my co-workers are very nice, as well as, my manager.
Pros
50% off discount

2.7