Dairy Queen Employee Reviews

Fun workplace and always learning
Team Member/Cashier/Cakes (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON30 January 2017
The process to get a job here is quite simple and quick. There was an advertisement online on kijiji for part time positions, and at the time i had really needed a job and already heard that Dairy Queen was a great place to work at from peers. So I quickly emailed them my resume, and asked for consideration for the part. Within 3 days I had received a call where I set an interview day, gotten an interview and email asking to work. The management at my location is wonderful. I have had nothing but god experiences so far, and the workers who trained me did a very good job as i got the hang of things fairly quickly. The hardest part about this job is working grill on a very busy day or during a rush as it is a tight space back there, and you are essentially working alone ( not to say that if you need help you aren't given that). You do need to be able to handle stress in that position and stress upfront as well when making treats on a busy day, and be able to work fast and multitask. But with that you are always working with your co workers making it so much more enjoyable. I myself am on cakes, so I just get to relax in the back, finish up any orders, decorate cakes and when someone is on break I go up front and help there so my shifts are quite easy. For a better visualization In list form i'll describe to you my typical day.

Saturday 10:30 - 3:30 (typically unless asked to stay and help)
-punch in at 10:30 prepared and ready to work
-take note of how many original and blizzard cakes needed to be decorated
-take note on the cake inventory in the freezer
-take
  more... note in how many of the various cakes is needed to be made to refill the freezer after cake shift (give note to chill members so they can prepare and make those)
-take icing bags out and prepare work place with the turntable and wet cloth and putting an apron on to keep uniform clean
-decorate any orders and pay close attention to details with colour and writing
- decorate how ever many original cakes to your own creativity
- decorate blizzard cakes with corresponding toppings
- when someone is on break help out in the chill area
-when someone needs help in the grill area help out
- keep work area cleaned
- whenever someone comes into store and needs a note written on a cake, you are responsible for writing typically
-clock out after 5 hr shift, possibly longer if you are asked to stay
- receive your discount on food and drinks to take home or eat during shift
Pros
50% discounts (combos, and novelties not included), proper training, friendly work environment, and fun
Cons
can be stressful during rushes and busy season
bad place to work.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 January 2017
the management was not good. they would force the workers to work even when sick with the flu otherwise workers would love jobs. they payed under minimum wage.
Not a great work environment
Restaurant Worker (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB28 January 2017
Typically, customer satisfaction and service were put on the back burner for profit. Any slight mistake would result in massive punishment, from lost wages to losing hours. Would not recommend employment at dairy queen
Great job for learning how to deal with customers. Overall good experience for me.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 January 2017
It was a good job for a high school student. The staff gets along and works well as a group. This job was flexible with the staffs schedule, especially as a student.
already reviewed
Tenth Line Rd. - Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 January 2017
already reviewed this restaurent. please see other review, thank you.
enjoyable place good people good location good food good ice cream good atmosphere
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Fun workplace, bad management
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 January 2017
I have no problem with the company itself, it is the management. The customers are overall friendly and kind, my coworkers are amazing. Our hours are not very good. Most part-time people get 5 hours a week maximum.
Pros
50% off when working
Cons
management
Great employers
Server and food preparation (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, NB25 January 2017
The management are the companies strong suit! They offer a lot of flexibility and ensure all of your personal needs taken into consideration. Although you work with many young students, the establishment is very well run with little to no drama.
Pros
Great work environment
Fun fast paced job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB25 January 2017
A typical day at work for me is to restock, clean and start the ice cream machines. I made sure that everything was ready for when the store opened.I learned communication skills and how to handle stressful days.
Pros
50% discount
high school job
Cook/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON24 January 2017
was my job in high school was a good job that i enjoyed and that job helped become the efficient, good worker i am today i am not interested in working at a fast food place as i have been working as a labourur the last few years
Good part time job but poor management skills
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 January 2017
I worked here for a couple months and did not like the management staff at all. When I requested to book a day off I would most likely not get it off and the staff was very inconsiderate and most of the time rude. In the summer time you have to work long hours until 11pm at night even if you are a student.
Pros
Discount on meals
Cons
Poor management skills

Want to know more about Dairy Queen?

Ask a question
Decent place to work
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Stayner. ON23 January 2017
A good place to start working and start taking the necessary steps towards building a good work mentality and ethic. The management is nice most days, and the staff is overall pleasant
Productive and fun workplace
Volunteer/Course's (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 January 2017
By far the best job Iv'e had as my third job. In my opinion I think that Dairy Queen is fun workplace and very productive when you're at work. At my job when I'm working I don't find anything difficult, the job is pretty straight forward if you understand what you're doing. My most enjoyable part of my job is making the ice cream and serving customers with a positive attitude so they come back.
First job
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON19 January 2017
This is an amazing place to work for a first job. Hours are very flexible and the staff is very friendly. One thing I do not like about being a supervisor is how much you get paid for everything you have to deal with. Management also changed a lot for our store.
Pros
Staff and 50% off food for yourself and family/friends
Cons
Pay
Fast paced work
Food Counter Attendant (Former Employee) –  Swift Current, SK18 January 2017
Made ice cream desserts
handled hot food
cleaned kitchen/counters/ ice cream machines
re-filled toppings/condiments
swept/mopped floors/ bathrooms
cleaned windows
coworkers were really nice
Hardest part was dealing with the overcrowding of staff working behind the counter during rushhour
I enjoyed making ice cream and making sure customers expectations were always met
Pros
Half off meals and drinks
Cons
NO reasoning with the boss at the time for time off for important family emergencys
friendly work environment
Cake manager, Shift manager (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON18 January 2017
Dairy Queen is a poorly managed shop, with great staff.
The staff dont know the best work ethics but this is due to a boss who overall doesnt give direction to his workers. The staff are great considering their training, some individuals have grown to be great workers in this facility, just not all the hire are trained very well
Fun work environment with lots of hours for a Highschool position
Supervisor/ Team leader (Former Employee) –  Tottenham, ON15 January 2017
It was always fun, my co workers were great most of the time, the manager and owner were passionate and cared about their employees even though the majority were part time. Tons of hours also if you were to take the position on full time, somtimes up to 60 hours a week.
Very attrative place , many hot spring,ski, beautiful mountain and lake.
Food Counter Attendant supervisor (Former Employee) –  1401 trans canada highway golden british columbia14 January 2017
I give you a tips to work in dairy queen is to be nice to the costumer, be approachable, always say hi or hello, give them smile, be attentive while you taking order to the costumer, repeat their order to be clear that all is correct,always keep on eye the cleanliness of the store, also check the food before you serve if is all complete, and always honest to your employer and to your co- workers. Always do your best !
Pros
50% discount for foods every duty.
Cons
30 minutes breaks
Working at Dairy Queen
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON12 January 2017
Working at Dairy Queen wasn't for me. I am a retail kind of girl. I didn't do so well in the food industry.

Everyone there was great! I felt safe at work.

The hardest part of my job was making ice cream. I was never really good at making food but I was good at serving it.
Cons
Good experience for a first job
Server (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 January 2017
As my first job, I probably had my best experience here. I was able to work with customers, thus expanding my knowledge for customer service, handle food, create cakes and also receive incoming products. The hardest part of the job was learning the recipes by heart especially when you need to know it when it becomes a busy day. The only downfall is winter days. Shifts start to lessen and shifts become a bit more slow.
Good work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 January 2017
Was also a positive space, full of smiles and laughter. I would always look forward to work because it always made me happy.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dairy Queen. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7