Dairy Queen Employee Reviews

Great entry level job, not great management.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 November 2016
The job its self is a great opportunity to enter into the work force, there are opportunities for promotions. Working with customers is fun but the management is not the best
Pros
discount during work hours
Cons
not a lot of shifts
Ice Cream and Food
Night Manager (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC2 November 2016
Was great working with the owner and co workers I learned how to make ice cream cakes and blizzards. Hardest parts of the job were difficult customers.
Pros
free sundaes
Cons
long shifts sometimes
friendly and cooperative coworkers
CASHIER & CREW MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Quebec City, QC2 November 2016
A typical shift at Dairy Queen was pretty straight forward. We were each given responsibilities for closing and what we had to produce when there weren't too many clients. When serving clients we helped each other. There was often tension however seeing as it was not very well organised and there was miscommunication and problems with payment.
Pros
half off for anything on the menu
Cons
every shift ended at midnight
Productive and fun place to work.
Supervisor and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 November 2016
Daily tasks include taking customers orders, making the orders, cleaning the store, and stocking items. During the summer months it can get very busy so you have to keep a steady pace. It is a very enjoyable job and all management and coworkers I've come across have always been very nice and helpful.
Pros
Lots of ice-cream and candy.
Cons
It's always cold in the store.
Its was a fun workplace
lobby (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB1 November 2016
I loved working at the dairy queen and it was a pleasure being with the other employees. the only problem I encountered was not enough hours per week
Pros
50% off on food
Cons
not enough hours
Learning experience
Customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ON24 October 2016
Working at Dairy Queen was a beneficial learning experience. However the management needs to better balance out their employees, some employees worked way too much and some very little. In the end i was burnt out and exhausted from being over worked.
Pros
enjoyable
Cons
very late and illegal hours
Great Place to be
Sales Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NB22 October 2016
Dairy Queen has been a great place to work at. It is a team oriented place to work. And a great place to recommend. Being my first job experience i do not regret.
Good Atmosphere to work in
Shift leader (Current Employee) –  Orleans, ON18 October 2016
The people are really nice and its an overall enjoyable place to work. the hours are flexible and my co-workers are very nice, as well as, my manager.
Pros
50% off discount
terrible management .
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 October 2016
management isn't good . Managers talks behind workers back . Doesn't confront workers when they have a problem. workers are all Asian. Only hires by reference and then if they don't do well they talk behind their back to other workers..
Good workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON16 October 2016
Good place to work.This location was family owned.I loved Dairy Queen and part of my duties was working the drive through and being at the front counter.The hardest part of my job was operating the blizzard machines.If you don't have the right consistency it doesn't come out right.It was hard trying to get full time hours.
Pros
good team to work with.
Cons
Not enough hours
Productive and fast paced
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE11 October 2016
A typical day working at Wendys included WHMIS, cleaning restocking condiments, prep work, keeping product fresh and stocked as well as completing orders, and doing dishes. I learned how to work the kitchen area and learned how cook and prepare the orders. The staff was helpful as were my co-workers any questions asked were always answered. The hardest part of my job was working over 40 hours a week while pregnant and going to school. The enjoyable part of my job was that there was always something to do and knowing I had knowledge staff to help me when I needed.
Pros
Busy and discounts
Productive and fun workplace.
Cake Decorator / Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 October 2016
A fun, fast faced environment. Great deals for employees with regards to food. I enjoyed most of my time decorating cakes for our customers.
Pros
free meals
Cons
short hours
cool
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON29 September 2016
Pjs was super cool i made life long friends i loved it it was hard but i couldn't complain amazing staff and the people who work there ar amazing
Different then what I expected
Food Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON25 September 2016
Dairy Queen was my absolute first job ever. I've started when I was 15 and when I first started we were just about to reopen the store with a new owner. DQ was the first place I ever handed in my resume to and got the job the next day. Thinking all I'd be doing is making cones and sundaes all day I soon found out that I was very wrong. I had to deal with rude customers and horrible trainers who hardly knew what to train you and well it's a fast food restaurant that's all I can say. I almost lost my job because I was so bad at it till I realized that I could be a lot better of a worker than what I was so I pulled myself together and became such a better worker and then a year later became a supervisor. There's always some things you hate about your job and some things you love no matter where you work. I'm now 18 and as much as i have bad days at work I also have great days and I'm sticking with it now matter how bad summers are when customers are lined up out the door (especially when teams come in) or how many rude customers complain about the littlest things because in the end you have great coworkers that you become best friends with and memorable moments at your DQ.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Summers
fun place to start working at
Cashier/Food (Current Employee) –  Atholville, NB16 September 2016
a typical day at work:
get to work, punch in the time clock;
ask management what you will be doing in the morning
(tables, filling kitchen, filling candies, prepping salads...)
begin task until completed
ask management what you can complete next..

The coworkers are the best part of the job, they're all different in great ways, but they're all equally kind and caring.
The management is good, reliable.
Pros
free lunchs nice staff good management
Cons
15 minute break
Great team atmosphere
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 September 2016
A typical day at work included working with friends. So that made the job a great experience. Management was fine in terms of being there when I needed them the most, for example when taking time off for a family experience. The hardest part of the job was closing the store, which made you stay for additional extra 30 mins or so.
fast food
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB12 September 2016
Dairy Queen has a friendly environment, however fast food service was not for me , I would recommend it for students as it is a great place to start learning about customer service
Pros
friendly
Cons
not enough hours
Productive and hard working workplace
Cashier/Cook (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 September 2016
Great to be around co-workers customers and managers. Typical work day is semi-busy but most days is alright. Management is really helpful and friendly and will accommodate any of your needs.
Did not enjoy this place
Food server/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC9 September 2016
Managers were blinded to most situations that needed to be corrected. Co-workers were slacking off to leave jobs for me to do.
Boring
Cahsier (Former Employee) –  Moosomin, SK7 September 2016
To much favoritism in the workplace. Not enough staff to cover shifts so some employees where working double shifts. Supervisor had to much power and it went straight to their head and believed they were the boss of everyone including the manager and owner
Pros
50% off lunch if bought for restaurant
Cons
Changing of hours with notice, cut back of hours with notice.

2.7