Dairy Queen Employee Reviews

Learning experience
Customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ON24 October 2016
Working at Dairy Queen was a beneficial learning experience. However the management needs to better balance out their employees, some employees worked way too much and some very little. In the end i was burnt out and exhausted from being over worked.
Pros
enjoyable
Cons
very late and illegal hours
Fun workplace, Family environment.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 December 2016
I loved my 11 years at Dairy Queen. It was a great team. The owners and management were incredible. There was a real sense of loyalty to each other. Sadly, the owner sold the business.
Pros
Fun place to work
Cons
They sold the company
My coworkers made it enjoyable
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 February 2017
Serve guests, costumers always come first.
how to prepare ice-cream, make cakes and cook
The management wasn't the best at being fair, and were often verbally abusive.
Pros
50% off food with Cash
Cons
management
friendly work environment
Cake manager, Shift manager (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON18 January 2017
Dairy Queen is a poorly managed shop, with great staff.
The staff dont know the best work ethics but this is due to a boss who overall doesnt give direction to his workers. The staff are great considering their training, some individuals have grown to be great workers in this facility, just not all the hire are trained very well
friendly and cooperative coworkers
CASHIER & CREW MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Quebec City, QC2 November 2016
A typical shift at Dairy Queen was pretty straight forward. We were each given responsibilities for closing and what we had to produce when there weren't too many clients. When serving clients we helped each other. There was often tension however seeing as it was not very well organised and there was miscommunication and problems with payment.
Pros
half off for anything on the menu
Cons
every shift ended at midnight
cashier
dairy queen (Former Employee) –  Innisfail, AB14 November 2016
i liked it at dq we worked at a fast pace and alot of overtime. i loved taking peoples orders and having a good attitude. the most enjoyable part of the job was making diffrent kinds of blizzards.the hardest part of the jopb was when it got busy and we had to do a whole bunch of things at a time.my coworkers were amazing to me and ive made a few friends form it and still friends to this day.
Pros
working at a fast pace
Cons
got off early sometimes
Great team atmosphere
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 September 2016
A typical day at work included working with friends. So that made the job a great experience. Management was fine in terms of being there when I needed them the most, for example when taking time off for a family experience. The hardest part of the job was closing the store, which made you stay for additional extra 30 mins or so.
terrible management .
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 October 2016
management isn't good . Managers talks behind workers back . Doesn't confront workers when they have a problem. workers are all Asian. Only hires by reference and then if they don't do well they talk behind their back to other workers..
Typical day at the ice cream store in summer
Sales Associate, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Gloucester, ON7 February 2017
Huge lineups start to appear around 7pm from the soccer teams close to the store. It constantly involves messy chocolate spills and ice cream on clothes. There is a lot of refilling toppings involved.
Pros
free food, free ice cream, free ice cream cake on bdays
Cons
very busy, heavy manual workload
Fun work environment with lots of hours for a Highschool position
Supervisor/ Team leader (Former Employee) –  Tottenham, ON15 January 2017
It was always fun, my co workers were great most of the time, the manager and owner were passionate and cared about their employees even though the majority were part time. Tons of hours also if you were to take the position on full time, somtimes up to 60 hours a week.
Fair Bosses Good place to work
Customer service, cashier duties, food preparation (Former Employee) –  Rothesay, NB13 February 2017
Dairy Queen was a very good place to work for a starting out job. It teaches fundamental work skills and team ethic. Hours are good and time of is very well organized. Scheduling methods are some what outdated. Over all a great first job.
Fun, easy, energetic
Chill crew (Former Employee) –  Hazeldean, ON3 January 2017
Dairy queen was a fun place to work. Although our line ups would reach the entrance door and the odd days where the line ups would continue outside the store, it was very easy to handle. It was definitely a job I could handle at sixteen years old. As long as you memorised all the ingredients for everything the rest was a breeze.
Different then what I expected
Food Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON25 September 2016
Dairy Queen was my absolute first job ever. I've started when I was 15 and when I first started we were just about to reopen the store with a new owner. DQ was the first place I ever handed in my resume to and got the job the next day. Thinking all I'd be doing is making cones and sundaes all day I soon found out that I was very wrong. I had to deal with rude customers and horrible trainers who hardly knew what to train you and well it's a fast food restaurant that's all I can say. I almost lost my job because I was so bad at it till I realized that I could be a lot better of a worker than what I was so I pulled myself together and became such a better worker and then a year later became a supervisor. There's always some things you hate about your job and some things you love no matter where you work. I'm now 18 and as much as i have bad days at work I also have great days and I'm sticking with it now matter how bad summers are when customers are lined up out the door (especially when teams come in) or how many rude customers complain about the littlest things because in the end you have great coworkers that you become best friends with and memorable moments at your DQ.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Summers
A nice and funplace to work with
Food Service Counter Attendant (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, SK16 February 2017
All employees does their specific functions according to duties and responsibilities. During the busy or rush hours, everybody cooperate and develop teamwork within the groups.
Pros
50% discount for the meals
Cons
8 hours or full-time working
Fun, high pace, lots of people
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 May 2016
This was my first "proper job". It taught me how to work a cash register, how a fast paced work environment functions, and how to deal with customers. A typical day would include taking orders, making orders, restocking ingredients, cleaning, drive thru, and occasionally writing on cakes. Most co-workers were extremely lovely to work with. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with all the orders on a really busy day. Some days we would not get breaks because we would be too busy running around making orders.
Pros
Discounted food, working in an ice cream related environment is refreshing in the summer
Cons
long hours, occasionally no breaks, no sick days allowed
Productive work days, sometimes entertaining
Shift leader/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 December 2016
Working at Dairy Queen has taught me a lot about what it means to provide excellent customer service to people. I have also built relationships with some customers who regularly came in and as well as the team I work with every day. Mostly, I enjoy making at least one persons day.
Server/Cashier/Customer Serive (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 January 2017
Overall a good working experience. Get to interact with costumers and learn how to communicate with many types of people. A diverse working community. worst part of the job was closing hours. A lot of cleaning. The mosy enjoyable part was helping customers.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
closing shifts
people orientated
customer service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 August 2016
- started from 9:00 am till 5:00 pm
- ive learned how to deal with customers and associated staff
- management was very unprofessional
- co-workers were indifferent
- hardest part was dealing with angry customers but that also became a good part as i have learned how to manage an ddeal with said customers
Cons
bad staff, unprofessional work place
Productive and friendly environment.
Server (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB26 August 2016
One of the busy food place in town. Very friendly and cheerful people staff. Working with standard hours as possible or requested. Start with preparing stocks and checking all the tables, chairs and cash tills.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Well organized workplace, fast-paced, great team members.
Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB17 December 2016
While working at Dairy Queen, I learned the burger basics! i was a kitchen member for over a month. good people and a good work environment, safety and cleanliness were always kept under tight restrictions.
Pros
good exp. + knowledge gained.
Cons
shady schedules + Ignorant manager.

2.7