Dairy Queen Employee Reviews in Canada

Fun workplace
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NBApril 3, 2016
Your typical day at work involved taking customers orders and preparing their food, cleaning your work space, and dining space. The most enjoyable part was your co-workers. It's like one big family!
Wonderful place to learn and grow
Ponoka Alberta, Part Time (Former Employee) –  Ponoka, ABApril 3, 2016
This location is a slight oddity for myself under the actual amount of time I worked here. I had been hired originally by a third party to aid in renovation construction of the location and was subsequently groomed to be an assisting manager before my unfortunately time departure from this location.

The managerial staff was, mostly, friendly and understanding of the other staff and their wishes while the kitchen staff, at the time, were abrasive and condescending of all the other staff. Post renovation upon the proper hiring of myself to the payroll the training was well designed so one would have little difficulties becoming accustomed to the various events happening simultaneously in the store.
Pros
welcoming staff, 50% off meals
Cons
abrasive kitchen staff
fun workplace
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Sidney, BCMarch 31, 2016
Fun work place, good for a first job. they only hire children thought. The most enjoyable part of the job is the customers, many come back everyday and it;s great to see them hapy. the co-workers are okay, most are friendly and hard working. management is alright, could be better.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
understaffed
Hard working staff, no guarantee for hours.
CHILL STAFF/FOOD SERVER (Current Employee) –  5449 Dundas StreetMarch 31, 2016
Fun and efficient staff. No guaranteed hours. Was not provided a large uniform within 2 weeks of working there. Overall decent experience
Pros
Very Simple
Cons
No guarantee for hours.
fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABMarch 30, 2016
Great place to work, good people, wonderful customers, great food.
Loved working with new people. Loved learning new skills, Loved being around the happy customers! always putting a smile on my face
Management At the Dutch village road location
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSMarch 30, 2016
the management at this location is terribly unfair and power hungry. They pick on the employees that have disabilities. One of the managers tries to get right into your personal life and asks about your bedroom life and tries to hook you up with the people who work there, its ridiculous.
Pros
Cons
everything
Exhausting
Cook (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 28, 2016
Working is kinda underpaid, its exhausting but somehow a little bit fun. So, it really requires a lot of energy, and require a lot of time.
Fast paced and fun environment.
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Stony Plain, ABMarch 22, 2016
A day at Dairy Queen involved preparing food and drinks for customers, taking customers orders, talking to customers, and cleaning up.
Alright place
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, ManitobaMarch 21, 2016
Okay place to work with but work hours are not alright. I learned how to deal with customers better. My co-workers are helpful and fun to work with. The management is not that good and we are under staff so workload is harder but manageable.
Pros
50% off of food during work
Cons
so under staff
I enjoyed working at Dairy Queen
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Yonge, ONMarch 16, 2016
I enjoyed working here very much. All the employees were very helpful and it was a friendly environment. Everyone helped me while I was in training and I was able to catch on quickly. The manger was very cooperative and gave me longer hours when I requested so. It was very past pace and slightly hectic at times which is expected with fast food restaurants. I always had something to do, and I learned to think and act quickly. Working here was a great experience for me.
Pros
relaxing compared to fast food jobs
Cons
long hours, few employees
Fun work place
Cashier/Shift leader (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 11, 2016
A typical day at DQ started with opening the store cleaning, preparing toppings for the day and food. I learned how to be fast on my feet especially on miracle treat day. You have to be able to deal with customers on a daily basis of all ages. I learnt a lot about products as you had to deal with customers who have never been to the store or ordered a cake. The management was fun but they have a strong value in you must work and talk. Show them that you want to be there. The hardest part of my job was dealing with angry customers. Some people there is honestly no pleasing no matter how hard you try. You just have to keep your chin up and know that no matter what if you have tried every thing to please them than at least you did your best. I loved meeting new people or meeting the regulars the first time. I love to interact with people and listen to them and some of them shared a lot of stories of their life. I liked dealing with the many kids sports teams that would come in. I also loved working miracle treat day even if it got crazy. It was great training firefighters and making friends with them. I loved giving back to the hospital and how much the community wanted to help.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
on your feet a lot
I always have something to keep me busy
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 10, 2016
The first person to show up for the evening shift is expected to pick up any garbage seen inside and outside the store. After this you should fill the toppings that are halfway full, and wash any tools that have been used prior to your arrival if they have not been washed already. Throughout your shift it's important to stay attentive and keep yourself busy - clean the counter, change the milk bags, and fill the cone trays.

When costumers enter the store it's expected you drop what you're doing to acknowledge their arrival by greeting and asking them, "what can I get for you?" Interacting with costumers comes naturally to me, and that's why it's my favourite part of the job. If I notice they've been starring at our menu for sometime I approach them and ask if they prefer sweets or salts. Depending on their response I give my opinion on which product I believe they'd enjoy most.
Pros
Walking distance from home
Cons
Not enough hours (2 shifts/week)
Customer service occupation
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCMarch 9, 2016
I learned how to use a point of sales system as well as handle cash. . This job provided very good and fair training as well as a reliable income.
Could be better, desserts are amazing
Cook (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMarch 8, 2016
Oh i loved eating the food here and the desserts, they tasted so good even though they are very unhealthy. Manager didn't really care to much, tempered easily and wasn't very understanding to certain situations like why you were late or cant work a day. Employees always felt mad or unhappy, pay wasn't to good and fights and arguments daily. They weren't really dealt with very well, and some were scared to tell the boss and possibly be fired. Things arnt always on time but usually 5mins most to be ready. All in all you go home tired and not wanting to work the next day. Unless you work with cakes all day, but you have to be supervisor for that.
Pros
good food.
Cons
short pay and have to pay for your lunch
can be a fast pace work at times
Assistant Manager / Cake Decorator (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONMarch 8, 2016
a lot of times it is making sure that things are done and ready for busy times. making sure things are clean and tidy. since l decorate the cakes l need to make sure cakes are done and ready for me to decorate.
Fun workplace!
Typical Dairy Queen worker (Former Employee) –  Portage la Prairie, MBMarch 7, 2016
Fun workplace but the boss was why I quit.. if I were to be sick i couldn't get a day off but if someone were to be hungover and call in a couple hours before he/she were to start work he would let it slide.. so I got into an argument with the boss and I ended up quitting. I don't think i would want to work back at THAT specific DQ but i would go back to another DQ.
Pros
Discounted food, free lunch/supper when working
Cons
boss was too slack for hungover employees
Interesting work place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 29, 2016
working at Dairy Queen was okay for its experience. I've learned how to work well with others and improve on my communication skills
Pros
Discounts
Cons
not that many shifts at all
fun, exciting and always something new to learn.
Counter Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ONFebruary 29, 2016
A typical day at work starts with everyone helping out to prepare for the day ahead. There is always something new to learn everyday, improving on our skills. Management is always ready to give a hand. the hardest part of this job is the extremely fast pace of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting the customers.
Pros
meeting the customers
Cons
very fast pace
kitchen cook
Kitchen Cook (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PEFebruary 29, 2016
I was full time worker at DQ Charlottetown , I did grill the burgers, deep fry French fries prepare meals quickly for customers
Pros
burgers
Cons
Productive and fun learning workplace
Customer Service/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ONFebruary 28, 2016
A great job to pursue is Dairy Queen. My experience with it was friendly co-workers, and managers. Experience here greatly builds on skills with customers like communication and the ability to make the correct product and satisfy a customer so they'll come back another time.
Pros
Discounted Ice Cream, Making Customers Smile