Dairy Queen Employee Reviews in Canada

love this place nice staff and management
Cook/Prep (Current Employee) –  Devon, ABSeptember 15, 2015
I like this place to work nice staff and management and great benefits the most enjoyable part is to cook for the customers
Pros
great staff, and management
Cons
not enough hours
Fun workplace!
Typical Dairy Queen worker (Former Employee) –  Portage la Prairie, MBMarch 7, 2016
Fun workplace but the boss was why I quit.. if I were to be sick i couldn't get a day off but if someone were to be hungover and call in a couple hours before he/she were to start work he would let it slide.. so I got into an argument with the boss and I ended up quitting. I don't think i would want to work back at THAT specific DQ but i would go back to another DQ.
Pros
Discounted food, free lunch/supper when working
Cons
boss was too slack for hungover employees
Fast paced enviroment where one must have minimal mistakes
Fast Food Worker (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCJuly 4, 2016
Worked at dairy queen for several weeks and at the end of the day is a tiring, but interesting job. Learned the ins and outs of how a fast food restaurant works and made me respect the workers a lot more.
Pros
20% off menu items
Cons
Very short 15 minute breaks with no phone usage
ok
Tables (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 16, 2016
Not very good when it comes to switching shifts due to family problems. Did not happen to me but my co worker. Some Co workers lazy and bosses just watch and don't say anything. Wait a Month or two until a Staff meeting rather than dealing with it their.
Pros
talk to people
Cons
cleaning toilets, customer food order wrong, Bad Leadership
working with kids
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 5, 2016
it was nice to meet with different children everyday at store. They were all excited for the ice-cream and I loved to see their experiment as cashier . I learned to be fast as much I can because it was Fast-food restirouaunt. The hardest part of the job was cleaning. The most enjoyable part of the job was making cakes and design them.
The environment was fun, though sometimes stressful.
Cashier/Fry Cook (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AlbertaSeptember 4, 2015
A regular day working for me was first setting up the broiler and deep fryers, if I ever had a problem the management would make sure to help me learn until I got it right. I would then bake most of the food for the customers during my shift, with the occasional help from my supervisors. If I worked until closing, I would clean and put away all of the cooking supplies. My co-workers were always fun to be around, and even though there was some tension and animosity between some of us at first, we were able to see past it and cooperate. The hardest part about working at Dairy Queen was the combination of the busy rush hour and the lack of employees, as our location had no more than six people working at a time. However, the relationships I built with the people I worked with and the experience I gained would definitely had made working there a plus.
Fast pace but lost of fun
Dairy Queen Crew member (Former Employee) –  Petawawa, ONJune 9, 2016
I enjoyed my short period working at Dairy Queen.
I worked seasonal which made it very hard. I ended up working two jobs and that made my life hectic. I quit because I needed to get one job that could guarantee the hours I needed.
Pros
Awesome coworkers
Cons
Seasonal
Great first job
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Maple, ONApril 24, 2016
A very positive environment for new employees. Each employee is trained very thoroughly to ensure success. One is able to work together and mesh well as a team. Get to learn how to give great customer service and how to work efficiently.
Pros
Staff discounts
Cons
In the cooler months there are insufficient hours
fun place
Service Crew (Former Employee) –  Wainwright, ABJune 29, 2016
good place for starters. showcase skills and develop abilities in communicating with costumers and co-workers. fun experience. good place to interact with all types of people. people can be mean sometimes but it is all part of the job
Pros
free break food
Good and bad
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJuly 8, 2016
It is not up to safety regulations, the male workers make the place very uncomfortable with their advances towards underage girls working there. although there were good hours and it gave you flexibility with your hours and when you worked.
Good place to work fun staff.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Trenton, ONApril 28, 2016
days were not very hard but at night when the store got busier it required being able to work in a fast paced environment and i supervised and assigned tasks to as many as 8 other employees. the coworkers were a good team and fun to work with
Pros
working with friends
Cons
occasional late nights
Easy Going
Part-Time Employee (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BCJuly 7, 2016
GREAT Managers and Staff, overall fun place to work. Scheduling can be a bit hectic and changes frequently, but management is MORE THAN WILLING to work around your schedule if you give notice
Pros
50% off, Great Staff
Cons
smelling like dairy queen for weeks
Pretty good
Cook (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NBJune 15, 2015
The typical day at work involves a lot of customer service and cooking. i learned that you need to work hard in order to succeed in the workplace. the management could be a bit better its a little slack but it is alright. My co-workers are awesome I loved every single one of them, we have our differences but i still enjoy them. the hardest part is just when it gets super hectic and busy. the most enjoyable part however is just having such great co-workers.
Pros
50% off during break
Cons
no direct deposit
Actively fun place with loving co-workers, and free ice-cream.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 22, 2015
Dairy Queen was an absolute joy to work at. I'd always look forward to my next shift as I'd be seeing the rest of the amazing staff at the location as well as the job itself made work fairly easy for me. A typical day would include putting on my uniform and heading straight to the front to begin my work of serving soft-serve sweets to customers. This would continue until closing where we then as a team begin daily clean-up which would include basic tasks such as dish-washing, throwing out and garbage, and mopping/sweeping. The most difficult part of the job was dealing with unpleasant customers but of course it's a package-deal when it comes to working anywhere. The best part was hands down the staff at the restaurant. They were friendly and loving people who supported each other through each step and are what kept Dairy Queen so successful. I still keep in contact with them to this day. I overall loved working and hope to relive the feeling again.
Pros
Free ice-cream, friendly customers
Cons
one 30-min break
Great place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 30, 2016
Cleaned machines, ran to the store room to get the list, cashier, food preparation and handed out the food. I learned better communication skills. I liked the hours I was given. Management was excellent. Hardest part was when schedules and pay checks were not in on time
Pros
Hours
Cons
Scheduling
Clean workplace with flexible hours
Cook (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCJune 8, 2016
Well maintained and cleaned location with great staff. Hours were incredibly flexible with my busy school schedule. Management was well organized and freely available for any problems that arose.
Pros
Discounted food
Great place, so fun and learned a lot
Cake maker and cake writer, server (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONApril 16, 2016
This was my first job when I was 16 and it was the best experience ever! Loved all of my coworkers and bosses. I had so much fun at work everyday, fair scheduling, fair pay, positive environment, great training, made life long friends
fun working at Dairy Queen
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BCOctober 29, 2015
working with costumers and cashier and serving costumers food also doing drive threw and working in chill making ice cream and blizzards and Sundays. cleaning and making sure everything looks good and organized and keeping things stocked up. doing dishes and working with cash threw out the day.
Pros
can book work off anytime with out question or concern
Cons
only part time no benifits doesnt pay well.
Fun and exciting work envirionment
Food & Beverage Sales Associate/ Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Thronhill, ONNovember 10, 2015
Had a close relationship with my boss. Loved working with my Co-workers. At timed the store would get very busy during the summer which caused me to develop exceptional skills in working in a fast pace environment. Also developed new skills as a key holder in closing and opening the store.
Pros
Cons
very busy
Dairy Queen is a great job opportunity.
Food and Beverage Server (Current Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ONJuly 11, 2016
Dairy Queen is a great opportunity for those looking for their first job. The job is fast paced and easy to learn and will guarantee you a great bonding experience with your co-workers.

2.7