Dairy Queen Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Alright place
Team Member (Current Employee), Winnipeg, ManitobaMarch 21, 2016
Pros: 50% off of food during work
Cons: so under staff
Okay place to work with but work hours are not alright. I learned how to deal with customers better. My co-workers are helpful and fun to work with. The management is not that good and we are under staff so workload is harder but manageable.
I enjoyed working at Dairy Queen
Cashier (Former Employee), Yonge, ONMarch 16, 2016
Pros: relaxing compared to fast food jobs
Cons: long hours, few employees
I enjoyed working here very much. All the employees were very helpful and it was a friendly environment. Everyone helped me while I was in training and I was able to catch on quickly. The manger was very cooperative and gave me longer hours when I requested so. It was very past pace and slightly hectic at times which is expected with fast food restaurants. I always had something to do, and I learned to think and act quickly. Working here was a great experience for me.
Fun work place
Cashier/Shift leader (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 11, 2016
Pros: free lunches
Cons: on your feet a lot
A typical day at DQ started with opening the store cleaning, preparing toppings for the day and food. I learned how to be fast on my feet especially on miracle treat day. You have to be able to deal with customers on a daily basis of all ages. I learnt a lot about products as you had to deal with customers who have never been to the store or ordered a cake. The management was fun but they have a strong value in you must work and talk. Show them that you want to be there. The hardest part of my job was dealing with angry customers. Some people there is honestly no pleasing no matter how hard you try. You just have to keep your chin up and know that no matter what if you have tried every thing to please them than at least you did your best. I loved meeting new people or meeting the regulars the first time. I love to interact with people and listen to them and some of them shared a lot of stories of their life. I liked dealing with the many kids sports teams that would come in. I also loved working miracle treat day even if it got crazy. It was great training firefighters and making friends with them. I loved giving back to the hospital and how much the community wanted to help.
I always have something to keep me busy
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 10, 2016
Pros: Walking distance from home
Cons: Not enough hours (2 shifts/week)
The first person to show up for the evening shift is expected to pick up any garbage seen inside and outside the store. After this you should fill the toppings that are halfway full, and wash any tools that have been used prior to your arrival if they have not been washed already. Throughout your shift it's important to stay attentive and keep yourself busy - clean the counter, change the milk bags, and fill the cone trays.

When costumers enter the store it's expected you drop what you're doing to acknowledge their arrival by greeting and asking them, "what can I get for you?" Interacting with costumers comes naturally to me, and that's why it's my favourite part of the job. If I notice they've been starring at our menu for sometime I approach them and ask if they prefer sweets or salts. Depending on their response I give my opinion on which product I believe they'd enjoy most.
Customer service occupation
Cashier (Former Employee), Victoria, BCMarch 9, 2016
I learned how to use a point of sales system as well as handle cash. . This job provided very good and fair training as well as a reliable income.
Could be better, desserts are amazing
Cook (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMarch 8, 2016
Pros: good food.
Cons: short pay and have to pay for your lunch
Oh i loved eating the food here and the desserts, they tasted so good even though they are very unhealthy. Manager didn't really care to much, tempered easily and wasn't very understanding to certain situations like why you were late or cant work a day. Employees always felt mad or unhappy, pay wasn't to good and fights and arguments daily. They weren't really dealt with very well, and some were scared to tell the boss and possibly be fired. Things arnt always on time but usually 5mins most to be ready. All in all you go home tired and not wanting to work the next day. Unless you work with cakes all day, but you have to be supervisor for that.
can be a fast pace work at times
Assistant Manager / Cake Decorator (Current Employee), Cambridge, ONMarch 8, 2016
a lot of times it is making sure that things are done and ready for busy times. making sure things are clean and tidy. since l decorate the cakes l need to make sure cakes are done and ready for me to decorate.
Fun workplace!
Typical Dairy Queen worker (Former Employee), Portage la Prairie, MBMarch 7, 2016
Pros: Discounted food, free lunch/supper when working
Cons: boss was too slack for hungover employees
Fun workplace but the boss was why I quit.. if I were to be sick i couldn't get a day off but if someone were to be hungover and call in a couple hours before he/she were to start work he would let it slide.. so I got into an argument with the boss and I ended up quitting. I don't think i would want to work back at THAT specific DQ but i would go back to another DQ.
Interesting work place
Cashier (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 29, 2016
Pros: Discounts
Cons: not that many shifts at all
working at Dairy Queen was okay for its experience. I've learned how to work well with others and improve on my communication skills
fun, exciting and always something new to learn.
Counter Clerk (Former Employee), Cornwall, ONFebruary 29, 2016
Pros: meeting the customers
Cons: very fast pace
A typical day at work starts with everyone helping out to prepare for the day ahead. There is always something new to learn everyday, improving on our skills. Management is always ready to give a hand. the hardest part of this job is the extremely fast pace of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting the customers.
kitchen cook
Kitchen Cook (Former Employee), Charlottetown, PEFebruary 29, 2016
Pros: burgers
Cons: 40
I was full time worker at DQ Charlottetown , I did grill the burgers, deep fry French fries prepare meals quickly for customers
Productive and fun learning workplace
Customer Service/Cashier (Current Employee), Woodstock, ONFebruary 28, 2016
Pros: Discounted Ice Cream, Making Customers Smile
A great job to pursue is Dairy Queen. My experience with it was friendly co-workers, and managers. Experience here greatly builds on skills with customers like communication and the ability to make the correct product and satisfy a customer so they'll come back another time.
a fun part-time job
Kitchen crew (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 20, 2016
overall it was a fun experience working in DQ, but it's lacking of longer term development. That is also a reason I want another job as a young person.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Montgomery, ABFebruary 18, 2016
Pros: fun job, great company, great experience
Dairy queen was my favorite job. I learned how to make milk shakes and blizzards, as well as to cook on the Braizier grill. My boss was a wonderful boss and my co-workers were great to work with. I served many customers daily and my favorite part of my job was serving children there ice cream and watching how happy it made them, especially when i tipped the blizzards upside down. The hardest part of my job was dealing with the customers as some people aren't very friendly. I absolutely loved this job and would defiantly go back to work at any Dairy Queen
non productive time stressed
Cashier/ Customer Service (Former Employee), Salmon Arm, BCFebruary 15, 2016
during a day here i cleaned help customers and was stressed with my coworkers and management. it was hard to want to get to work without being depressed or angry with my job.
fun workplace
Supervisor (Current Employee), Tantallon, NSFebruary 13, 2016
Cons: no hours
very unorganized, schedules always changing. Great people to work with, always outgoing and laughter. most enjoyable part is dealing with customers, hardest part is getting time off.
Was not a nice place to work
Customer service (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 11, 2016
The company was hard to work for because of the disrespcet from the employer and other employees. But overall I learn how to communicate nicely with customers and I learned how to cope with disrespect in a positive way.
Very fun staff
Cashier (Former Employee), High River, ABFebruary 11, 2016
Took orders, worked in the drive thru, made any ice cream treats, washed dishes, and cleaned restaurant. Has an amazing staff that made working fun!
easy going and a good environment
Cashier (Former Employee), Richmond Hill, ONFebruary 10, 2016
Pros: Discounts on food
Cons: no set breaks
I clock in and go onto the cash register and take orders, then make the order that was taken and hand it out to the customer. I learned to be patient because it would be very busy with crazy line ups on drive thru and service. My management and co-workers were friendly and easy to work with. The hardest part about the job was clearing line ups when it would be really busy and we were short on staff, but we got by. The most enjoyable part was making new friends.
My First Job and I loved it
Cashier (Former Employee), Richmond, BCFebruary 3, 2016
Pros: Everything, Co-workers, Management, Costumers, Working life
Cons: Nothing, because work environment was wonderful
I would come in on time, and start to work. That being making blizzards, drinks, making cakes, taking orders, giving small talk to costumers and doing small kitchen work (fries/burgers).

What I learned was working with a close unit of people productively and respectively, you slowly turn into a family and develop bonds that are unbreakable. If the store didn't close down due to the owner not wanting it anymore, I think I would still be working there because the work dynamic was so nice.

The hardest part I would say about this job is saying goodbye when it closed.