Dairy Queen Employee Reviews

fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONAugust 9, 2016
It was a seasonal job, it was fun being able to work around others your age, but customers got too passionate about ice cream so it was a bit of a headache going into work.
First job after high school
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Sussex, NBAugust 4, 2016
Tended cash and worked into cooking and preparing food orders.

Cleaned Bathrooms and kept tables cleaned off

Enjoyed my work companions.

Always meeting new people and also seeing regulars daily.
Pros
It was close to my living facilities at that time.
Cons
Had to move.
Dairy Queen
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 2, 2016
Dairy Queen has currently been having slow days which causes less shifts. Working at Dairy Queen has taught me to communicate, serve people and work in a fast paced enviroment. My co-workers are very kind and helpful, they are there to help me grow in my enviroment.
Cons
Less hours
Productive and fun work place!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 27, 2016
It was one of the best jobs I've had, HELLO? its DQ!
Worked with the most friendly fun people.
going to work was all I looked forward too!
I loved my job!
Pros
Free ICECREAM all day everyday!
Cons
My manager was a grumpy old, racists man.
Pleasant workplace with fun coworkers and yummy food
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Atholville, NBJuly 26, 2016
An opening shift consists of about two hours of prep prior to opening the store. All of the employees work on their assigned tasks and help each other when they can. Workers place importance on maintaining a clean and pleasant environment throughout the day, and operate at peek efficiency during lunch and supper rushes. To create the smoothest transition possible from day staff to night staff, we fill food supplies and paper goods as the customer flow slows down. The evening crew should be able to quickly relieve day staff and provide the same amount of cleanliness at the end of the night.
Because of the location of this workplace I was able to learn the basics of a second language through communicating with customers and asking my coworkers when unsure.
Despite being a family-run store, management does not favour workers above others based solely on relation. The store managers do not belittle employees, but instead are often on the floor helping us make food and ice cream, or serve customers during peek business hours.
Coworkers are incredibly friendly and able to efficiently perform tasks while maintaining amusing conversations.
Dealing with inconsolable customers is frustrating at times, but they are outnumbered by exuberant "kid at heart" clientele who light up when they see their blizzard flip upside down, or smile at a perfect DQ curl.
Pros
Free lunches, Reasonable hours, Flexible schedule.
Cons
No health benefits or dental plan.
Very friendly employees and I enjoyed working there
Front Counter Attendant (Former Employee) –  Vegreville, ABJuly 18, 2016
All the staff members at both the Dairy Queen businesses I worked at had amazing people to work with, making it easier to work there. We were a good team because we helped one another when someone needed help with no questions asked. The management was great! If I had a family emergency, which is very rare, they would understand and give me the day off. The hardest part of my job is when someone comes to me to say what a horrible business this is. I don't know what to do with those kind of situations so I tell them one moment and I go get a supervisor to deal with it. The most enjoyable time to work here is when its winter time. Its busy but not too busy.
Pros
Half off price for all food
Cons
No paid breaks
Diary Queen
Cook (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BCJuly 18, 2016
It was a pleasant experience, however it was only a summer Job. I learned how to multitask and deal with customers who had specific expectations.
always busy
Cashier cook and cake decorator (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCJuly 15, 2016
Most of the time it was always busy. I loved the girls that i worked with and they always worked around my schedules. Dairy Queen was a decent place to work
Pros
good at getting days off
Cons
free food
Dairy Queen is a great job opportunity.
Food and Beverage Server (Current Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ONJuly 11, 2016
Dairy Queen is a great opportunity for those looking for their first job. The job is fast paced and easy to learn and will guarantee you a great bonding experience with your co-workers.
Productive and fun atmosphere, very chill
Chill Area (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCJuly 9, 2016
Working here helped me work under pressure, and when there weren't any customers, it was very relaxing, I really enjoyed working at DQ
Pros
Discount
Good and bad
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJuly 8, 2016
It is not up to safety regulations, the male workers make the place very uncomfortable with their advances towards underage girls working there. although there were good hours and it gave you flexibility with your hours and when you worked.
Easy Going
Part-Time Employee (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BCJuly 7, 2016
GREAT Managers and Staff, overall fun place to work. Scheduling can be a bit hectic and changes frequently, but management is MORE THAN WILLING to work around your schedule if you give notice
Pros
50% off, Great Staff
Cons
smelling like dairy queen for weeks
Stressful and Uncooperative Managment Team
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJuly 6, 2016
The entire company is owned by people who take out their anger on their employees. The workers there are sometimes immature from what I've heard from the past. Nobody helps you when you need it most then gets mad at you when you don't know what your doing. They don't consult you when you finish training other than to tell you that you're paying an extra $25 for the uniform. I'm sure other Dairy Queens aren't as bad, but this one I wouldn't recommend ever.
Pros
Money
Cons
Everything Else
Productive and fun workplace
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ONJuly 5, 2016
It has been easy to recognize routine and capture all goals met for the day as well as manage 7 crew.
Crew and management work very well together and create a very friendly environment.
Pros
Working in a friendly environment, everyone is able to get along and enjoy their days, easily able to accomplish all of the goals that need to be met
Cons
N/A
Fast paced enviroment where one must have minimal mistakes
Fast Food Worker (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCJuly 4, 2016
Worked at dairy queen for several weeks and at the end of the day is a tiring, but interesting job. Learned the ins and outs of how a fast food restaurant works and made me respect the workers a lot more.
Pros
20% off menu items
Cons
Very short 15 minute breaks with no phone usage
fun place
Service Crew (Former Employee) –  Wainwright, ABJune 29, 2016
good place for starters. showcase skills and develop abilities in communicating with costumers and co-workers. fun experience. good place to interact with all types of people. people can be mean sometimes but it is all part of the job
Pros
free break food
Good first job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 26, 2016
Dairy Queens are privately franchised and owned so working at each one will differ. If you live in a cooler climate and your store doesn't sell fast food then expect little to no hours for majority of the year. Also because it was such a small store and privately owned management would often allow personal issues to get in the way of how they treat you and how often you will work, also there is little to no growth within the company. The most enjoyable part of the job was probably working with such a close-knit team.
Pros
some times you can take home free products
Cons
not many hours, no benefits, no tips, minimum pay, no job growth
productive
Cashier (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ONJune 24, 2016
I enjoyed working as an employee at dairy queen, my typical days at work included a lot of multitasking and assuring great customer service, I learnt how to manage time & how to utilize my skills such as interacting with customers,my coworkers at the time were great and the hardest part of the job would have been stock, most enjoyable part of the job would be everything.
Pros
50% discount
Cons
One 15 minute breaks after a 6 hour shift
ok
Tables (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 16, 2016
Not very good when it comes to switching shifts due to family problems. Did not happen to me but my co worker. Some Co workers lazy and bosses just watch and don't say anything. Wait a Month or two until a Staff meeting rather than dealing with it their.
Pros
talk to people
Cons
cleaning toilets, customer food order wrong, Bad Leadership
Very dead place of work in winters
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 14, 2016
The summer was jam packed with customers, lines always out the door. In the winter there was no work, and no hours, meaning low pay and scurring for a second job.
Pros
Free Artic Rushes
Cons
WInters are brutal

2.7