Dairy Queen Employee Reviews in Canada

love this place nice staff and management
Cook/Prep (Current Employee) –  Devon, ABSeptember 15, 2015
I like this place to work nice staff and management and great benefits the most enjoyable part is to cook for the customers
Pros
great staff, and management
Cons
not enough hours
productive
Cashier (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ONJune 24, 2016
I enjoyed working as an employee at dairy queen, my typical days at work included a lot of multitasking and assuring great customer service, I learnt how to manage time & how to utilize my skills such as interacting with customers,my coworkers at the time were great and the hardest part of the job would have been stock, most enjoyable part of the job would be everything.
Pros
50% discount
Cons
One 15 minute breaks after a 6 hour shift
easy going and a good environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONFebruary 10, 2016
I clock in and go onto the cash register and take orders, then make the order that was taken and hand it out to the customer. I learned to be patient because it would be very busy with crazy line ups on drive thru and service. My management and co-workers were friendly and easy to work with. The hardest part about the job was clearing line ups when it would be really busy and we were short on staff, but we got by. The most enjoyable part was making new friends.
Pros
Discounts on food
Cons
no set breaks
Friendly environment and great work ethics
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABApril 14, 2016
Cashier. That you need to keep on your toes and make sure that the customers are happy. Management was excellent; knew how to handle tough situations. Co-workers all got along with each other and an excellent staff. The hardest were summer rushes but we were able to get through it with each others help. The most enjoyable was the customers but all the staff they were all making sure that everyone was okay and made sure that if you needed help they would help you.
Good place to work with. Staff are friendly.
Store Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Whitecourt, ABApril 7, 2016
Task is easy to learn, staff are nice and friendly. Time is flexible, management has a consideration should you have any requests ahead of time. The challenge is you'll never know if your colleagues will going to show up or or not especially on a very busy weekends as most of them are still very young.
Fun workplace, and amazing people
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Sudbury, ONApril 12, 2016
Work is always fun, we are always having a great time and work very hard at the same time. My coworkers are very outgoing and charismatic. Typical day at work is normally good, all you do is clean and make ice cream, and every day I learn something new about our products. The hardest part about the job is that, your always on your feet and there are days because it is so busy, you barely get a break because they always need you. Overall, the best part are our customers and my co-workers.
recieving customers and working in a team environment
Server/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKApril 6, 2016
Making the tip of the ice cream into a swirl. To stay calm in a team and no team work environment. Management wasn't that good. My co workers were awesome. No hard work actually when I started i was nervous but the co workers made me feel better. Learning to take orders
Pros
Learning
Cons
no lunch
Great Family Atmosphere
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBJune 11, 2016
I loved working at Dairy Queen, they were really good people to their employees. They were also great with scheduling. I learned a lot on selling there products, making me a better sales person. The management was great. Co-workers were like family. The hardest part of the job, was being on my feet. The most enjoyable was working with the customers.
Pros
Good discount
Cons
Low wage, Hard on feet
Management At the Dutch village road location
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSMarch 30, 2016
the management at this location is terribly unfair and power hungry. They pick on the employees that have disabilities. One of the managers tries to get right into your personal life and asks about your bedroom life and tries to hook you up with the people who work there, its ridiculous.
Pros
Cons
everything
fun, exciting and always something new to learn.
Counter Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ONFebruary 29, 2016
A typical day at work starts with everyone helping out to prepare for the day ahead. There is always something new to learn everyday, improving on our skills. Management is always ready to give a hand. the hardest part of this job is the extremely fast pace of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting the customers.
Pros
meeting the customers
Cons
very fast pace
Productive and fun workplace
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ONJuly 5, 2016
It has been easy to recognize routine and capture all goals met for the day as well as manage 7 crew.
Crew and management work very well together and create a very friendly environment.
Pros
Working in a friendly environment, everyone is able to get along and enjoy their days, easily able to accomplish all of the goals that need to be met
Cons
N/A
fun workplace
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Sidney, BCMarch 31, 2016
Fun work place, good for a first job. they only hire children thought. The most enjoyable part of the job is the customers, many come back everyday and it;s great to see them hapy. the co-workers are okay, most are friendly and hard working. management is alright, could be better.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
understaffed
dairy queen
Customer service (Current Employee) –  Micmac, NSApril 20, 2016
i go in for 5 and i put my hair in a bun and put a hair net on and i usually am with someone else so we just start servicing the customers right away. i learned how to make there ice cream cones and Sundays and the food and smoothies because in mic mac mall orange Julius is with dairy queen.

most hard part is getting the right weight of the ice cream and the most enjoyable is working with such a great team and in an amazing place
Pros
discounts
Cons
few hours
Greatly flexible management and friendly co-workers
Grill Cook (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 19, 2016
Well organized and dedicated staff that work well in teamwork demanding situations. Management was highly flexible with the work schedule and would make adjustments when required if supplied with enough notice. Very friendly and professional atmosphere.
Pros
decent hours given especially if asked for.
Cons
Long periods of time standing in front of hot kitchen equipment
Work place is productive and helpfull.
Crew member (Current Employee) –  McArthur, ONJune 2, 2016
I learned to work in a crew oriented job for the first time.This job helped me to improve my customer service. My co-workers helped me to handle customers and make orders clearly and more friendly.
Making order and delivering it to the customers is the hardest part but working with a friendly surrounding helped me enjoy my work more easily.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ABFebruary 18, 2016
Dairy queen was my favorite job. I learned how to make milk shakes and blizzards, as well as to cook on the Braizier grill. My boss was a wonderful boss and my co-workers were great to work with. I served many customers daily and my favorite part of my job was serving children there ice cream and watching how happy it made them, especially when i tipped the blizzards upside down. The hardest part of my job was dealing with the customers as some people aren't very friendly. I absolutely loved this job and would defiantly go back to work at any Dairy Queen
Pros
fun job, great company, great experience
Not the greatest work environment
Part-time employee (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 16, 2016
Had to dig through a clogged toilet with only dainty thin gloves, & there was no plunger. Also did not get my cheque for almost 2 whole months, the manager would not answer of my calls, texts, & was "not in" when I got there.
Pros
Learned good standing positions for when you are on your feet for long periods of time.
Cons
No breaks, employees were not very nice
Fast paced enviroment where one must have minimal mistakes
Fast Food Worker (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCJuly 4, 2016
Worked at dairy queen for several weeks and at the end of the day is a tiring, but interesting job. Learned the ins and outs of how a fast food restaurant works and made me respect the workers a lot more.
Pros
20% off menu items
Cons
Very short 15 minute breaks with no phone usage
Alright place
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, ManitobaMarch 21, 2016
Okay place to work with but work hours are not alright. I learned how to deal with customers better. My co-workers are helpful and fun to work with. The management is not that good and we are under staff so workload is harder but manageable.
Pros
50% off of food during work
Cons
so under staff
ok
Tables (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 16, 2016
Not very good when it comes to switching shifts due to family problems. Did not happen to me but my co worker. Some Co workers lazy and bosses just watch and don't say anything. Wait a Month or two until a Staff meeting rather than dealing with it their.
Pros
talk to people
Cons
cleaning toilets, customer food order wrong, Bad Leadership

2.7