Dairy Queen Employee Reviews

great work environment
Cleaner/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Stewiacke, NS7 November 2016
wonderful management and coworkers,was trained well n learned a lot of new cleaning techniques,worked on my own cleaning until next shift came in,cleaned friers n grills n ovens,and all areas as well as prepared stuff for the next shift coming in to make it easier.
Pros
worked alone
Cons
parttime
Productive and fun to work with my staff.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB13 August 2016
Working at Dairy Queen is fun for me, I get to encounter different people(costumers) from day to day. Any concerns addressed from my costumers, I do my best to meet their satisfactions and give them a reason to come back in my store. My co-workers are fun to work with, we get along, and we love making ice cream for our costumers. The hardest part in my job is to keep my staff in line when they start to escalate but overall I love my job, I like making ice cream.
Pros
Free Drinks
Cons
full 8 hours
It was amazing experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Beamsville, ON25 August 2016
-It was fun as a high school job, to pass time and create new relationships.
I enjoyed creating routine and valuing my time.
Barely any co-workers but the ones I had were amazing.
Hardest part of the job was making the ice cream so mostly the training.
Most enjoyable part of the job was making and decorating cakes.
Pros
Free birthday cakes.
Cons
no customers during cold seasons
Boring
Cahsier (Former Employee) –  Moosomin, SK7 September 2016
To much favoritism in the workplace. Not enough staff to cover shifts so some employees where working double shifts. Supervisor had to much power and it went straight to their head and believed they were the boss of everyone including the manager and owner
Pros
50% off lunch if bought for restaurant
Cons
Changing of hours with notice, cut back of hours with notice.
Fun Enviroment
Front Counter Staff (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 December 2016
A Typical Work Day
- Customer Service
- Food Prep

What I Learned
- How to Work as a Team
- How to Make Blizzards

- Good
- Nice

Co-Workers
- Good
- Nice

The Hardest Part of the Job
- Customer Service

The Most Enjoyable Part of the Job
- Work Enviroment
Pros
Good Food
Cons
Minimum Wage
Great team atmosphere
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 September 2016
A typical day at work included working with friends. So that made the job a great experience. Management was fine in terms of being there when I needed them the most, for example when taking time off for a family experience. The hardest part of the job was closing the store, which made you stay for additional extra 30 mins or so.
Great shift life
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Kitimat25 November 2016
Every shift was a blast co-workers are friendly, outgoing and just overall good people. You were never put down, management was great. Learning was a steep curve from cooking to operating the tills, to working the super fast drive thru.
Pros
50 % off while working
Cons
being in a union
Upbeat, Fast Paced Workplace.
Cashier/Food-Runner (Former Employee) –  Invermere, BC3 September 2016
Dairy Queen was one of the best places I've worked at, my managers/store owners were amazing and jumped at every chance to make the our location the best! Our store won a couple to awards and actually made it into the newspaper. Loved my co-workers and would jump at a chance to work with the team/company again.
people orientated
customer service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 August 2016
- started from 9:00 am till 5:00 pm
- ive learned how to deal with customers and associated staff
- management was very unprofessional
- co-workers were indifferent
- hardest part was dealing with angry customers but that also became a good part as i have learned how to manage an ddeal with said customers
Cons
bad staff, unprofessional work place
Great entry level job, not great management.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 November 2016
The job its self is a great opportunity to enter into the work force, there are opportunities for promotions. Working with customers is fun but the management is not the best
Pros
discount during work hours
Cons
not a lot of shifts
Very friendly employees and I enjoyed working there
Front Counter Attendant (Former Employee) –  Vegreville, AB18 July 2016
All the staff members at both the Dairy Queen businesses I worked at had amazing people to work with, making it easier to work there. We were a good team because we helped one another when someone needed help with no questions asked. The management was great! If I had a family emergency, which is very rare, they would understand and give me the day off. The hardest part of my job is when someone comes to me to say what a horrible business this is. I don't know what to do with those kind of situations so I tell them one moment and I go get a supervisor to deal with it. The most enjoyable time to work here is when its winter time. Its busy but not too busy.
Pros
Half off price for all food
Cons
No paid breaks
terrible management .
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 October 2016
management isn't good . Managers talks behind workers back . Doesn't confront workers when they have a problem. workers are all Asian. Only hires by reference and then if they don't do well they talk behind their back to other workers..
Fun Workplace
Server (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON16 November 2016
In my opinion, DQ is a great environment to work in because you are able to build essential relationships with co-workers and customers. It's a fun and happy place to be in especially during the summer.
Pros
Great Managing
Cons
Lack of hours during cold months
Fun workplace, Family environment.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 December 2016
I loved my 11 years at Dairy Queen. It was a great team. The owners and management were incredible. There was a real sense of loyalty to each other. Sadly, the owner sold the business.
Pros
Fun place to work
Cons
They sold the company
Stressful and Uncooperative Managment Team
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON6 July 2016
The entire company is owned by people who take out their anger on their employees. The workers there are sometimes immature from what I've heard from the past. Nobody helps you when you need it most then gets mad at you when you don't know what your doing. They don't consult you when you finish training other than to tell you that you're paying an extra $25 for the uniform. I'm sure other Dairy Queens aren't as bad, but this one I wouldn't recommend ever.
Pros
Money
Cons
Everything Else
Good first job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON26 June 2016
Dairy Queens are privately franchised and owned so working at each one will differ. If you live in a cooler climate and your store doesn't sell fast food then expect little to no hours for majority of the year. Also because it was such a small store and privately owned management would often allow personal issues to get in the way of how they treat you and how often you will work, also there is little to no growth within the company. The most enjoyable part of the job was probably working with such a close-knit team.
Pros
some times you can take home free products
Cons
not many hours, no benefits, no tips, minimum pay, no job growth
Dairy Queen
Crew Trainer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 December 2016
overall easy job, it's a franchise company so not all Dairy Queen's run the same. Co-workers are easy to get along with when a solid team environment is formed.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Franchise company so all stores don't run the same
Dairy Queen
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC12 December 2016
working on cash register, making blizzards and other foods for customers, cleaning counters and busing tables, I learned how to operate a cash register and different recipes for making various food merchandise.
productive
Cashier (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON24 June 2016
I enjoyed working as an employee at dairy queen, my typical days at work included a lot of multitasking and assuring great customer service, I learnt how to manage time & how to utilize my skills such as interacting with customers,my coworkers at the time were great and the hardest part of the job would have been stock, most enjoyable part of the job would be everything.
Pros
50% discount
Cons
One 15 minute breaks after a 6 hour shift
Memorable
Cashier, Ice Cream Dispenser and Designer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 November 2016
Working at Dairy Queen helped me understand and gain critical food safety and handling. It was a great learning experience for food efficiency and customer engagement.
Pros
discounts on food

2.7