Dairy Queen Employee Reviews in Canada

Work place is productive and helpfull.
Crew member (Current Employee) –  McArthur, ONJune 2, 2016
I learned to work in a crew oriented job for the first time.This job helped me to improve my customer service. My co-workers helped me to handle customers and make orders clearly and more friendly.
Making order and delivering it to the customers is the hardest part but working with a friendly surrounding helped me enjoy my work more easily.
fun workplace
Ice Cream Server (Current Employee) –  Morinville, ABJune 1, 2016
it is a fun place to work, most of the managers are very nice, the co workers are for the most part great, i just like the fact that it is a safe and fun work environment.
Fun environment but poor work conditions and poor management
Employee (Current Employee) –  North York, ONMay 30, 2016
Poor working conditions in the summer, too hot in there to work; however, nice co-workers made the job a fun environment.
Its good for a starter job
Cashier/General Worker (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ONMay 29, 2016
Teenage students should apply, there's lots of skills to learn, but you don't want to stay forever, there isn't much advancement
Pros
discounts on food
Cons
understaffed, overzealous customers
Dairy queen job
Dairy Queen (Former Employee) –  Cache Creek, BCMay 26, 2016
It was great but my favorite part was making burgers and learning how to build the perfect ice cream cone. I also enjoyed interacting with my work buddies.
Pros
25% off
Cons
its hard to make ice cream
Great employees with greater management
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKMay 26, 2016
Dairy Queen has got to be my most enjoyable job yet. The staff are all incredible friendly and not at all clique-y. The managers are all super fair and understanding, they are very open to your needs.
This job taught me the importance of order of operations, how to quickly prepare quality food and to communicate well with others.
The hardest part of the job would have to be dealing with a mess or an incorrectly prepared order while mid-rush.
Pros
50% off food 30 minutes before or after shift (or during)
Cons
As with any service-industry position, snooty customers.
Fast Pace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMay 17, 2016
Throughout the summer it's non stop fast pace, you have to be willing to work hard for hours and the pay in minimum wage if you're over 18 under is student wage
Not the greatest work environment
Part-time employee (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 16, 2016
Had to dig through a clogged toilet with only dainty thin gloves, & there was no plunger. Also did not get my cheque for almost 2 whole months, the manager would not answer of my calls, texts, & was "not in" when I got there.
Pros
Learned good standing positions for when you are on your feet for long periods of time.
Cons
No breaks, employees were not very nice
good fun place to work
Front Counter Attendant (Former Employee) –  Ponoka, ABMay 16, 2016
second job ive ever had and good workplace to be in people are friendly and coworkers are very nice people. loved working there. miss it lots
A clean and professional fast food environment, with a great crowd.
Customer Service Representative & Food Prep (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLMay 15, 2016
My time at Dairy Queen was quite enjoyable! Training there is straightforward with the right balance of written, spoken, and hands on material. I immediately noticed the friendliness of the staff as they were all quick to greet me and try to get to know me. As most of us know, working in the fast food industry can become quite monotonousness, but my coworkers provided relief from the unvarying kitchen tasks. I quickly became friends with all of them, and made some that last still to this day. The management is also wonderful. I put my all into whatever task I am doing, and that was noticed shortly after I began working there. I was offered a raise and the option to pick my own hours within three months! If there were any flaws in the management or execution of daily tasks, I didn't see them. The only flaw I could find was in the actual infrastructure itself. I was working at the restaurant located on topsail road, which has barely been renovated since it was installed there more than twenty years ago. When I worked in the kitchen I felt extremely claustrophobic, as it is no more than 10x12 feet. You can fit no more than 3 people in there, and the oven makes work extremely uncomfortable. However I have visited all of the other Dairy Queen locations in my area, and they are all quite spacious and inviting, so I can see renovations in the near future. It was tough to have to leave, but I needed to further my education, and help get my grandfathers business back off of the ground. All in all, my time there was quite enjoyable, and I would recommend this job to anyone looking for  more... employment in the restaurant business.  less
Pros
Great management, friendly staff
Cons
Small working area
Fun, high pace, lots of people
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 10, 2016
This was my first "proper job". It taught me how to work a cash register, how a fast paced work environment functions, and how to deal with customers. A typical day would include taking orders, making orders, restocking ingredients, cleaning, drive thru, and occasionally writing on cakes. Most co-workers were extremely lovely to work with. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with all the orders on a really busy day. Some days we would not get breaks because we would be too busy running around making orders.
Pros
Discounted food, working in an ice cream related environment is refreshing in the summer
Cons
long hours, occasionally no breaks, no sick days allowed
Dairy Queen
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Weyburn, SKMay 8, 2016
A typical day at work is always very busy, friendly faces, and happy customers. I have learned how to be faster at customer service, run the cashier desk on my own, make ice cream and I learned how important it is to have friends at work, someone to have your back as well. My co-workers are amazing, so very helpful, smiling and they have helped me to break out of my shy shell and show people who I really am. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I see the customer enjoying their days, and have a smiling welcome.
Pros
Discounts, Friends, Satisfied Customers.
Cons
Overwhelming, busy
working with kids
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 5, 2016
it was nice to meet with different children everyday at store. They were all excited for the ice-cream and I loved to see their experiment as cashier . I learned to be fast as much I can because it was Fast-food restirouaunt. The hardest part of the job was cleaning. The most enjoyable part of the job was making cakes and design them.
Great first job experience
Food Server/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSMay 3, 2016
DQ was a great first job experience,where I had the opportunity to work with others, and getting valuable customer service experience and food handling skills.
Great place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 30, 2016
Cleaned machines, ran to the store room to get the list, cashier, food preparation and handed out the food. I learned better communication skills. I liked the hours I was given. Management was excellent. Hardest part was when schedules and pay checks were not in on time
Pros
Hours
Cons
Scheduling
Good place to work fun staff.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Trenton, ONApril 28, 2016
days were not very hard but at night when the store got busier it required being able to work in a fast paced environment and i supervised and assigned tasks to as many as 8 other employees. the coworkers were a good team and fun to work with
Pros
working with friends
Cons
occasional late nights
Fast-paced and enjoyable workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 27, 2016
This job required me to work cashier, make ice cream for customers, clean and answer calls. The job was very fast-paced and required a lot of team work.
Good
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONApril 25, 2016
Great company, very friendly and fast paced environment. The management is nice and caring. Close to come and convenient location.
Ensures customer satisfaction, fast-paced, efficient environment
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONApril 24, 2016
Dairy Queen was a fast-paced environment aimed to provide quality food for customers. Employees were to work fast to ensure satisfaction, yet provide quality. At Dairy Queen, I learned to further my customer service skilled, prepare food, and work a cashier. Fellow employees were all kind and skilled. The hardest yet also most enjoyable part of the job was the fast-paced environment. Dairy Queen was very busy in the summer, yet this pace made work enjoyable as there was always something to do and it allowed workers to improve themselves and their skills.
Great first job
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Maple, ONApril 24, 2016
A very positive environment for new employees. Each employee is trained very thoroughly to ensure success. One is able to work together and mesh well as a team. Get to learn how to give great customer service and how to work efficiently.
Pros
Staff discounts
Cons
In the cooler months there are insufficient hours

2.7