Dairy Queen Employee Reviews

perfect for first time job.Half off all food you buy except food, and flexible hours whenever you need it. Staff is usually around your age and friend
Cashier, Cake Decorator, Crew worker (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC3 January 2017
-Awesome place to work
- Great co-workers
- Gained knowledge of the work atmosphere
- Gained customer service skills
- Gained time management skills
Pros
free lunches
Cons
long hpurs
Fun, easy, energetic
Chill crew (Former Employee) –  Hazeldean, ON3 January 2017
Dairy queen was a fun place to work. Although our line ups would reach the entrance door and the odd days where the line ups would continue outside the store, it was very easy to handle. It was definitely a job I could handle at sixteen years old. As long as you memorised all the ingredients for everything the rest was a breeze.
productive
Cashier/Server (Former Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC5 December 2016
Working at Dairy Queen was fun,easy job. I learned to work fast in the fast food restaurant and taking orders. Management was okay and co-workers were friendly and helpful. The hardest part of working at Dairy Queen was memorizing the different ingredients to put in the ice cream. Th most enjoyable part was working with some of my co-workers.
Productive and fun place to work.
Supervisor and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 November 2016
Daily tasks include taking customers orders, making the orders, cleaning the store, and stocking items. During the summer months it can get very busy so you have to keep a steady pace. It is a very enjoyable job and all management and coworkers I've come across have always been very nice and helpful.
Pros
Lots of ice-cream and candy.
Cons
It's always cold in the store.
Productive and fast paced
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE11 October 2016
A typical day working at Wendys included WHMIS, cleaning restocking condiments, prep work, keeping product fresh and stocked as well as completing orders, and doing dishes. I learned how to work the kitchen area and learned how cook and prepare the orders. The staff was helpful as were my co-workers any questions asked were always answered. The hardest part of my job was working over 40 hours a week while pregnant and going to school. The enjoyable part of my job was that there was always something to do and knowing I had knowledge staff to help me when I needed.
Pros
Busy and discounts
Fun place to work but horrible management
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 December 2016
If your looking for labour and chaos-this is the right place to look
Horrible managment
unfair payment-no overtime pay unless on hollidays
Horrible owners
Physically and verbal harrasment from managers and owners
Unsafe enviornment
No discounts on food unless you're on break
Cons
low hours
Productive work days, sometimes entertaining
Shift leader/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 December 2016
Working at Dairy Queen has taught me a lot about what it means to provide excellent customer service to people. I have also built relationships with some customers who regularly came in and as well as the team I work with every day. Mostly, I enjoy making at least one persons day.
Excellent experience
1) Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB5 January 2017
I learned lots of things from this job like i got the chance to improve my communication skill,ability as front executive and as a cashier.

All co-workers are very helpful and supportive.

I am enjoying making beautiful cakes over there.
Pros
Free ice-creams.
Cons
not getting enough working hours over there
No opportunities to grow
Restaurant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB6 February 2017
learned few management skills and leadership skills
most enjoyable part was to communicate with guests and helping them with their orders and providing the best food service experience at the premises
Pros
WORKING ENVIRONMENT and dealing with customers (guests)
Cons
No career growth
First job
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON19 January 2017
This is an amazing place to work for a first job. Hours are very flexible and the staff is very friendly. One thing I do not like about being a supervisor is how much you get paid for everything you have to deal with. Management also changed a lot for our store.
Pros
Staff and 50% off food for yourself and family/friends
Cons
Pay
Server/Cashier/Customer Serive (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 January 2017
Overall a good working experience. Get to interact with costumers and learn how to communicate with many types of people. A diverse working community. worst part of the job was closing hours. A lot of cleaning. The mosy enjoyable part was helping customers.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
closing shifts
Well organized workplace, fast-paced, great team members.
Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB17 December 2016
While working at Dairy Queen, I learned the burger basics! i was a kitchen member for over a month. good people and a good work environment, safety and cleanliness were always kept under tight restrictions.
Pros
good exp. + knowledge gained.
Cons
shady schedules + Ignorant manager.
Working at Dairy Queen
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON12 January 2017
Working at Dairy Queen wasn't for me. I am a retail kind of girl. I didn't do so well in the food industry.

Everyone there was great! I felt safe at work.

The hardest part of my job was making ice cream. I was never really good at making food but I was good at serving it.
Fun and nice co-workers
Service Crew (Current Employee) –  Airdrie, AB3 October 2016
You will not feel the tireness of the work because of the fun doing all their products.
I learned discipline and confidence ion work.
The management is considerate of their workers.
my co-workers are easy to talk to, and will definitely make your day.
The hardest part i think is only when i have nothing to do, it make me so sleepy.
the most enjoyable is when we make dessert and see how delicious it looks like.
fast passed enviroment in the summer
Food Prep/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB Clairview15 November 2016
For someone looking for their first job, this is a great job, its laid back and easy to figure out what goes where and how to make the product. Each store is owned by a different person, so things vary including, training, discounts, tips, product pricing and more.
Cons
promise promotions, but never gives them
Great employers
Server and food preparation (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, NB25 January 2017
The management are the companies strong suit! They offer a lot of flexibility and ensure all of your personal needs taken into consideration. Although you work with many young students, the establishment is very well run with little to no drama.
Pros
Great work environment
Fair Bosses Good place to work
Customer service, cashier duties, food preparation (Former Employee) –  Rothesay, NB13 February 2017
Dairy Queen was a very good place to work for a starting out job. It teaches fundamental work skills and team ethic. Hours are good and time of is very well organized. Scheduling methods are some what outdated. Over all a great first job.
Productive and Fun place
Chill Crew (Former Employee) –  Wainwright, AB22 September 2016
The day goes like any other restaurant might experience. Opening up the place for an hour and setting things up, serving customers till closing then cleaning up for an hour. I've learned to work with others and enhance my social skills. The management is top-notch with the managers even helping out when the place is packed with people and my co-workers are all friendly and would help out if they're not busy with other stations. The hardest part would be during rush-hour when the place would become chaotic at times especially during an event but making customers happy and giving them what they need is the most enjoyable part of the job no matter how rough the day goes
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Understaffed sometimes
Preferential treatment towards some employees
Employee (Former Employee) –  Ville Emard29 November 2016
Typical days were decent, though the management shows favoritism to family members who are sometimes far from good employees and if they were in any other place would have been fired or warned. Ruined the environment.
Pros
Free ice cream while on shift
Cons
Preferential treatment
Poor training , poor hours, poor salary
Expeditor (Former Employee) –  Minden, ON30 January 2017
Overall my experience at Dairy Queen was horrible.
I would not recommend this job to anyone, management was all over the place, and quite rude towards lesser employees.
(more so in peterborough than minden)
Pros
Cons
Everything, especially Managers and cleanliness

2.7