Dairy Queen Employee Reviews in Canada

Not worth it
Brazier (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJanuary 7, 2016
Start of the shift means preparing all the ingredients, I learned how to make many different types of burgers and other fast foods. The manager of this location is probably the friendliest and most understand person I've ever worked with. Co-workers are mainly all teenagers either in high-school or just started college/university. Hardest part of the job is dealing with busy lunch and dinner rushes, most enjoyable part is the cooking. It wasn't a difficult job but sometimes when it's really busy everyone starts feeling the stress of having to keep up with the orders and it makes you feel very tired and eventually it gets annoying. Some of the staff members cracked under pressure and would make it difficult for others to continue working peacefully. Overall it wasn't too bad of a place but would never consider going back.
Pros
Free ice cream on breaks, 50% off food on breaks
Cons
Either really busy or nothing to do at all
Great Place for a First Job
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Stayner, ONNovember 25, 2015
Dairy Queen is a nice place to start working, especially for a first job. The average labor in a day is not heavy when kitchen staff (people prefer the ice cream more often than the food). They will train you to use the chemicals and cleaners they use properly and the small location makes this a very easy job. The staff was probably the best part of the job as they are all friendly and work oriented. The management of Dairy Queen is very strict but forgiving. They will not make it the end of the world on small mistakes, but they will make a point for more grievous mistakes.
Pros
Good Staff
Cons
Very overbearing management
Upbeat workplace with great co-workers
Server/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONNovember 9, 2015
A typical day at work would be busy and fast-paced. I learnt how to make every kind of blizzard along with how to improve my communication skills with customers along with solving situations. Management was somewhat understanding but would publicly write about workers on the backboard. My coworkers were great to work with, they were very positive and hard-working. The hardest part of the job was simply keeping my uniform clean due to working with ice cream and candy pieces. In conclusion, the most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know new people and seeing the smiles on customers faces.
Pros
50% off food during your break
Cons
Only get discounts while you're on break
Good place to work with. Staff are friendly.
Store Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Whitecourt, ABApril 7, 2016
Task is easy to learn, staff are nice and friendly. Time is flexible, management has a consideration should you have any requests ahead of time. The challenge is you'll never know if your colleagues will going to show up or or not especially on a very busy weekends as most of them are still very young.
Management At the Dutch village road location
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSMarch 30, 2016
the management at this location is terribly unfair and power hungry. They pick on the employees that have disabilities. One of the managers tries to get right into your personal life and asks about your bedroom life and tries to hook you up with the people who work there, its ridiculous.
Pros
Cons
everything
recieving customers and working in a team environment
Server/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKApril 6, 2016
Making the tip of the ice cream into a swirl. To stay calm in a team and no team work environment. Management wasn't that good. My co workers were awesome. No hard work actually when I started i was nervous but the co workers made me feel better. Learning to take orders
Pros
Learning
Cons
no lunch
Friendly environment and great work ethics
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABApril 14, 2016
Cashier. That you need to keep on your toes and make sure that the customers are happy. Management was excellent; knew how to handle tough situations. Co-workers all got along with each other and an excellent staff. The hardest were summer rushes but we were able to get through it with each others help. The most enjoyable was the customers but all the staff they were all making sure that everyone was okay and made sure that if you needed help they would help you.
Fun workplace, and amazing people
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Sudbury, ONApril 12, 2016
Work is always fun, we are always having a great time and work very hard at the same time. My coworkers are very outgoing and charismatic. Typical day at work is normally good, all you do is clean and make ice cream, and every day I learn something new about our products. The hardest part about the job is that, your always on your feet and there are days because it is so busy, you barely get a break because they always need you. Overall, the best part are our customers and my co-workers.
fun workplace
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Sidney, BCMarch 31, 2016
Fun work place, good for a first job. they only hire children thought. The most enjoyable part of the job is the customers, many come back everyday and it;s great to see them hapy. the co-workers are okay, most are friendly and hard working. management is alright, could be better.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
understaffed
Alright place
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, ManitobaMarch 21, 2016
Okay place to work with but work hours are not alright. I learned how to deal with customers better. My co-workers are helpful and fun to work with. The management is not that good and we are under staff so workload is harder but manageable.
Pros
50% off of food during work
Cons
so under staff
Awful management and horrible work employees
Dairy Queen Employee (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCDecember 12, 2015
The Fleetwood Dairy Queen is awful. The management constantly belittles the employees behind their backs and the employees are horrendous. I have been blamed for incidents several times that were my colleagues doing as well as when threatened by a customer was forced to meet their demands because of the management. If you want to work for Dairy Queen, avoid this store like the plague.
Pros
Store discount
Cons
Awful work envirnoment
dairy queen
Customer service (Current Employee) –  Micmac, NSApril 20, 2016
i go in for 5 and i put my hair in a bun and put a hair net on and i usually am with someone else so we just start servicing the customers right away. i learned how to make there ice cream cones and Sundays and the food and smoothies because in mic mac mall orange Julius is with dairy queen.

most hard part is getting the right weight of the ice cream and the most enjoyable is working with such a great team and in an amazing place
Pros
discounts
Cons
few hours
Actively fun place with loving co-workers, and free ice-cream.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 22, 2015
Dairy Queen was an absolute joy to work at. I'd always look forward to my next shift as I'd be seeing the rest of the amazing staff at the location as well as the job itself made work fairly easy for me. A typical day would include putting on my uniform and heading straight to the front to begin my work of serving soft-serve sweets to customers. This would continue until closing where we then as a team begin daily clean-up which would include basic tasks such as dish-washing, throwing out and garbage, and mopping/sweeping. The most difficult part of the job was dealing with unpleasant customers but of course it's a package-deal when it comes to working anywhere. The best part was hands down the staff at the restaurant. They were friendly and loving people who supported each other through each step and are what kept Dairy Queen so successful. I still keep in contact with them to this day. I overall loved working and hope to relive the feeling again.
Pros
Free ice-cream, friendly customers
Cons
one 30-min break
Fun workplace!
Typical Dairy Queen worker (Former Employee) –  Portage la Prairie, MBMarch 7, 2016
Fun workplace but the boss was why I quit.. if I were to be sick i couldn't get a day off but if someone were to be hungover and call in a couple hours before he/she were to start work he would let it slide.. so I got into an argument with the boss and I ended up quitting. I don't think i would want to work back at THAT specific DQ but i would go back to another DQ.
Pros
Discounted food, free lunch/supper when working
Cons
boss was too slack for hungover employees
Good first job
Employee at Dairy Queen (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NBMay 1, 2015
A typical day at work is taking orders from the customers, making the food for them, working cashier, filling products and cleaning stations. I learned a lot about teamwork, responsibility and organization. I got along well with all of my managers and co-workers.
Pros
salary is a bit higher than minimum wage
Cons
Not the greatest work environment
Part-time employee (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 16, 2016
Had to dig through a clogged toilet with only dainty thin gloves, & there was no plunger. Also did not get my cheque for almost 2 whole months, the manager would not answer of my calls, texts, & was "not in" when I got there.
Pros
Learned good standing positions for when you are on your feet for long periods of time.
Cons
No breaks, employees were not very nice
Fun people and work environment.
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Tottenham, ONJanuary 5, 2016
The people at Dairy Queen are extremely great to work with and the work is not bad. The job is fairly easy to learn. Five hour shifts are the typical shift plus the time it takes to close which is on average about 20-30 minutes. I am looking for another part time job as I don't feel I get enough hours at Dairy Queen and with school approaching quick next year, I need all the hours and work experience I can get.
Cons
Not enough hours. Penalized for booking time off.
Hard working staff, no guarantee for hours.
CHILL STAFF/FOOD SERVER (Current Employee) –  5449 Dundas StreetMarch 31, 2016
Fun and efficient staff. No guaranteed hours. Was not provided a large uniform within 2 weeks of working there. Overall decent experience
Pros
Very Simple
Cons
No guarantee for hours.
Fun and exciting work envirionment
Food & Beverage Sales Associate/ Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Thronhill, ONNovember 10, 2015
Had a close relationship with my boss. Loved working with my Co-workers. At timed the store would get very busy during the summer which caused me to develop exceptional skills in working in a fast pace environment. Also developed new skills as a key holder in closing and opening the store.
Pros
Cons
very busy
non productive time stressed
Cashier/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Salmon Arm, BCFebruary 15, 2016
during a day here i cleaned help customers and was stressed with my coworkers and management. it was hard to want to get to work without being depressed or angry with my job.