Dairy Queen Employee Reviews

boring
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB20 February 2018
The typical day there was quite boring. Business is slow in the winter and fall but way to busy in the summer for a small little ice cream place. But the people were good.
Pros
ice cream
Cons
slow
Productive place
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL20 February 2018
- Always liked the food there.
- It was a busy spot.
- I made friends while working
- Always had things to do
- breaks were fair
- Good customer service
Fun working with co-workers and very productive community
Cashier and Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 February 2018
Always have fun working with co-workers and a very productive community always have something to do. Salary and benefits aren’t ideal. Good place to work for students.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No benefits, low wages
Fun co-workers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON17 February 2018
Most of the staff that I worked with are all around good people. I was able to connect with my co-workers in a short time and there was many opportunities to learn new ways to do my job.
Terrible
Cook (Current Employee) –  View Royal, BC16 February 2018
worked there for 6 months give or take and i stopped getting scheduled over a month ago still havent heard anything every answer i get is i dont know ugh
Pros
discount
Cons
managment
it as not too fun of a job
chill (Former Employee) –  Hamptons, AB14 February 2018
I did not like working at Dairy Queen at all. the people working there never talked, if they did they'd exclude you and it was not someplace I would ever want to work at again
Not well managed
Trained new staff (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB12 February 2018
Long days, barely any breaks, hard work, and not a great atmosphere to be working in. Most of my coworkers were fun to work with but the management was very hard to deal with.
Pros
Occasionally get free ice cream
Cons
Not well managed
Basic fast food restaurant
Supervisor/Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Riverview, NB10 February 2018
Exactly what you'd expect from a first job or fast food gig. There's plenty of room to cross train in the kitchen and on the floor, as well as riding up through management.
It was ok
Cashier/Runner (Current Employee) –  Midland, ON6 February 2018
I personally didn't like working there. I wasn't receiving very many hours. I would receive less than student hours once every 3 weeks. The managers were great despite the attitudes of some of them.
Love my dq
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Portugal Cove, NL6 February 2018
Another amazing workplace for students or teens who are trying to build up a work experience or a resume, they are very friendly and are all willing to help if you ever need it.
productive and comfortable work place
Was a shift leader (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON5 February 2018
typical day at work: make food, take orders, clean up.

I've learned how to work in a restaurant.

management is really great actually, super flexible with hours.

people are friendly, nice to work with

hardest part of the job is sitting around doing nothing on days when we are dead, just cause theres legit nothing to do so you get bored out of your mind

most enjoyable part: talking to people
Pros
discount food price, paid breaks
Cons
super slow in winter
Provides good work experience
Assistant Manager/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  London, ON2 February 2018
Dairy Queen is a franchise company therefore I can only review based on the locations I have worked at and not the company as a whole. Though some owners and managers can make it a negative experience, Dairy Queen provides a good community for young people to gain work experience and responsibility.
It is a fast paced business.
Counter Staff (Former Employee) –  Lindsay, ON1 February 2018
I enjoy the fast food industry. The minimum wage sucks but I like the work. Management needs to train and manage staff better. More feedback needs to be given and discipline implemented.
Pros
free ice cream
Cons
late nights and weekends
Fun job!!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC30 January 2018
This was probably my favourite job I’ve had! My manager was really nice and worked around my hours. It was fun and I really miss it! Should’ve never left!!! Only reason I left it because I let someone get to me (my mistake)! But great job
Pros
50% off, good manager, good hours
Its a good first job
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Stony Plain, AB30 January 2018
Dairy queen gets slow in the winter so shifts get cut back so its a slow shift. Some supervisors are harder to deal with and some other workers can be rude or slow. Its overall a good atmosphere with little drama, and I get along with most everyone there.
Great people to work with
Trained Supervisor Duties (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ON30 January 2018
A very fun place to work with. Owners are difficult to approach. Love my coworkers. Scheduling was fantastic, worked great around other jobs or family matters
Fast paced working environment
Manager/Cake Maker (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 January 2018
I am the manager at the Walkley Dairy Queen location which is one of the busiest Dairy Queen locations within Ottawa. Often times I am working on making their ice cream cakes while managing the staff throughout the week. Often times I put down making cakes to help the staff with customers to the best of my ability without falling behind on my cakes. The workplace culture feels like family and has taken a lot of time to get to this place. With perseverance and constant feedback and prep talks before and after shifts, it has helped us go from awkwardly working together to cohesively working together.

The hardest part of the job is not where we are located which often people think must be the hardest thing. the hardest thing is coming across people who are not from the area and pass judgments on the people there and on the staff. Often times people assume me working in this location is a lack of education on my part which is entirely untrue. The customers are great people and I do what I can to make them laugh and enjoy their time there. The best part though is working with the staff I do and seeing the regular customers the know me by name and love and care for me even when they do not need too.
Pros
amazing staff that support one another despite differences
Cons
mean customers at times
great place to get your first work experience
Team member, I (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC29 January 2018
Great place for those who are looking for a flexible work schedule. Here you can get your first customer service experience, as well as multi-tasking skills. You ll be working in a friendly environment and would never get bored of such job.
Pros
always fun
Cons
not enough hours, espoecially in winter (part-time)
Relaxed work environment with king and helpful supervisors
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB29 January 2018
When I first started working the supervisors were very friendly and helpful in getting me acquainted with my position. The interface and system of the cashier to kitchen to customer process was fairly streamlined and worked in a manageable fashion. Colleagues were quick to provide assistance to areas in need. Hardest part is in the very beginning when one needs to memorize and learn about all the new equipment, but after that, the most challenging aspect of the job is simply maintaining a cheery attitude with customers.
Pros
50% off food
Cons
low hours during non-summer seasons
Dairy queen
Server/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winkler, MB29 January 2018
This job gets very busy during the summer hours as everyone wants icecream.. you will be serving customers all day. you are required to work at a fast pace.
Pros
Good for highschool students, 50% discount on all food
Cons
Not the most respectful environment to wokr in