Dairy Queen Employee Reviews

Fun work place with friends
Counter Staff (Former Employee) –  Dryden, ON7 December 2016
I enjoyed working their a lot and caught on very quick. I got a long with everyone around me and it was fun experience. I would for sure work there again.
Pros
Good Co workers
Cons
Long Hours
Dairy Queen
Crew Trainer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 December 2016
overall easy job, it's a franchise company so not all Dairy Queen's run the same. Co-workers are easy to get along with when a solid team environment is formed.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Franchise company so all stores don't run the same
Great shift life
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Kitimat25 November 2016
Every shift was a blast co-workers are friendly, outgoing and just overall good people. You were never put down, management was great. Learning was a steep curve from cooking to operating the tills, to working the super fast drive thru.
Pros
50 % off while working
Cons
being in a union
I enjoyed my time there.
Cook/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Creston, BC23 November 2016
Dairy Queen was a nice place to work my boss and almost all of my coworkers were very nice. My favourite part was preparing the novelty treats, I also enjoyed working with people.
Interesting and an overall learning experience
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Tottenham, ON19 November 2016
Diary Queen was a job that taught me many skills in working in customer service, handling complaints and how to keep the generalized population of Tottenham happy. I learned much from my employers on the overall knowledge of running, owning, and maintaining a business. also, by having a hands on experience with the machines located at diary queen i was able to learn a great deal about hands on manual labor as well as the safety precautions needed in order to handle these machines properly. I also learned a great deal in food safety, ll of this included how o handle food properly when delivering it to a customer, as well as how to cook, prepare, and deliver food.
Fun and Enjoyable
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sault-Sainte-Marie, ON18 November 2016
Good place to work, and learn skills firsthand. The balance of work between you and your co-workers will give you respite throughout the shift. Great place to enter into the workplace.
Fun Workplace
Server (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON16 November 2016
In my opinion, DQ is a great environment to work in because you are able to build essential relationships with co-workers and customers. It's a fun and happy place to be in especially during the summer.
Pros
Great Managing
Cons
Lack of hours during cold months
cashier
dairy queen (Former Employee) –  Innisfail, AB14 November 2016
i liked it at dq we worked at a fast pace and alot of overtime. i loved taking peoples orders and having a good attitude. the most enjoyable part of the job was making diffrent kinds of blizzards.the hardest part of the jopb was when it got busy and we had to do a whole bunch of things at a time.my coworkers were amazing to me and ive made a few friends form it and still friends to this day.
Pros
working at a fast pace
Cons
got off early sometimes
Fun and Exciting
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  London, ON14 November 2016
This is a fun and exciting place to work where you can learn many customer service skills along with food safety and product knowledge. greatly supportive team environment.
Pros
Discounts! make new friends!
Strathmore Dairy Queen
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Strathmore, AB13 November 2016
Managers are very rude and unappreciative of the work and effort you put into this job, many times the owner has yelled at the staff infront of customers causing a few of them to leave. Owner blows her top way to often and can make it very uncomfortable for staff. Fun is not allowed. Theres a big disconnect on policies between supervisors and managers. However the owner is fairly flexible on working around your schedule if you have a second job, are in school or other extra curricular activities.
Pros
20% of food
Cons
Someone is always on your case.
Memorable
Cashier, Ice Cream Dispenser and Designer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 November 2016
Working at Dairy Queen helped me understand and gain critical food safety and handling. It was a great learning experience for food efficiency and customer engagement.
Pros
discounts on food
Fun, High stress environment, great coworkers
Crew member (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB13 November 2016
Dairy Queen is a fast paced job with availability for advancement within the company. You learn to work with deadlines and deal with customers on a daily basis.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
salary
gAry
Cashier/Drive-Thru (Former Employee) –  Stony Plain, AB10 November 2016
It was ok. Some of the people were nice, some were not. If the supervisors were more respectful i would have stayed. I'm a teenager, what do you expect?
great work environment
Cleaner/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Stewiacke, NS7 November 2016
wonderful management and coworkers,was trained well n learned a lot of new cleaning techniques,worked on my own cleaning until next shift came in,cleaned friers n grills n ovens,and all areas as well as prepared stuff for the next shift coming in to make it easier.
Pros
worked alone
Cons
parttime
Great entry level job, not great management.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 November 2016
The job its self is a great opportunity to enter into the work force, there are opportunities for promotions. Working with customers is fun but the management is not the best
Pros
discount during work hours
Cons
not a lot of shifts
Ice Cream and Food
Night Manager (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC2 November 2016
Was great working with the owner and co workers I learned how to make ice cream cakes and blizzards. Hardest parts of the job were difficult customers.
Pros
free sundaes
Cons
long shifts sometimes
friendly and cooperative coworkers
CASHIER & CREW MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Quebec City, QC2 November 2016
A typical shift at Dairy Queen was pretty straight forward. We were each given responsibilities for closing and what we had to produce when there weren't too many clients. When serving clients we helped each other. There was often tension however seeing as it was not very well organised and there was miscommunication and problems with payment.
Pros
half off for anything on the menu
Cons
every shift ended at midnight
Productive and fun place to work.
Supervisor and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 November 2016
Daily tasks include taking customers orders, making the orders, cleaning the store, and stocking items. During the summer months it can get very busy so you have to keep a steady pace. It is a very enjoyable job and all management and coworkers I've come across have always been very nice and helpful.
Pros
Lots of ice-cream and candy.
Cons
It's always cold in the store.
Its was a fun workplace
lobby (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB1 November 2016
I loved working at the dairy queen and it was a pleasure being with the other employees. the only problem I encountered was not enough hours per week
Pros
50% off on food
Cons
not enough hours
Learning experience
Customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ON24 October 2016
Working at Dairy Queen was a beneficial learning experience. However the management needs to better balance out their employees, some employees worked way too much and some very little. In the end i was burnt out and exhausted from being over worked.
Pros
enjoyable
Cons
very late and illegal hours

2.7