Dairy Queen Employee Reviews in Canada

Great Work Environment
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Port Moody, BCNovember 3, 2015
The atmosphere at this DQ is very welcoming and comfortable. The staff are friendly and the management is very understanding when it comes to a life-work balance. Although the pay is not great and pay raises are rare, it will be given to those who show constant and efficient work.
Pros
Lovely staff, flexible hours
Cons
Minimum wage, raises are rare
fun working at Dairy Queen
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BCOctober 29, 2015
working with costumers and cashier and serving costumers food also doing drive threw and working in chill making ice cream and blizzards and Sundays. cleaning and making sure everything looks good and organized and keeping things stocked up. doing dishes and working with cash threw out the day.
Pros
can book work off anytime with out question or concern
Cons
only part time no benifits doesnt pay well.
Very friendly employees and I enjoyed working there
Front Counter Attendant (Former Employee) –  Vegreville, ABJuly 18, 2016
All the staff members at both the Dairy Queen businesses I worked at had amazing people to work with, making it easier to work there. We were a good team because we helped one another when someone needed help with no questions asked. The management was great! If I had a family emergency, which is very rare, they would understand and give me the day off. The hardest part of my job is when someone comes to me to say what a horrible business this is. I don't know what to do with those kind of situations so I tell them one moment and I go get a supervisor to deal with it. The most enjoyable time to work here is when its winter time. Its busy but not too busy.
Pros
Half off price for all food
Cons
No paid breaks
Productive, fast-paced environment
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 14, 2016
A typical day was very productive and I always found something that someone and I can do make it a better work environment and better environment for the customers. I learned to have more confidence and keep up with a fast-paced environment especially in the drive-thru. in my opinion, the management at Dairy Queen could've been better in keeping morale with employees at a higher priority. Co-workers were really friendly and I always focused on my job first no matter the relationship with co-workers. The hardest part of the job would be keeping up with the fast-paced environment when it was really busy. The most enjoyable part of the job would be taking orders.
Pros
The 50% discount for breaks and free drinks.
Cons
Productive and over all a fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABAugust 23, 2016
A normal day at work would be busy or slow, And everyone was so great with the cosumers and willing to help out even if they had other things they had to do. The management was another story they would push you around and only teated people that they liked with respect and talked about other employes behind there back, I also think that was the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable party of the day would have to be seeing the kids face light up when you brough there food or icecream over. On a day to day bassis i had to learn that cosumers are number one no matter what sometimes it was hard and other times it was easy.
Pros
love the co-workers
Cons
management
Could be better, desserts are amazing
Cook (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMarch 8, 2016
Oh i loved eating the food here and the desserts, they tasted so good even though they are very unhealthy. Manager didn't really care to much, tempered easily and wasn't very understanding to certain situations like why you were late or cant work a day. Employees always felt mad or unhappy, pay wasn't to good and fights and arguments daily. They weren't really dealt with very well, and some were scared to tell the boss and possibly be fired. Things arnt always on time but usually 5mins most to be ready. All in all you go home tired and not wanting to work the next day. Unless you work with cakes all day, but you have to be supervisor for that.
Pros
good food.
Cons
short pay and have to pay for your lunch
I enjoyed working at Dairy Queen
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Yonge, ONMarch 16, 2016
I enjoyed working here very much. All the employees were very helpful and it was a friendly environment. Everyone helped me while I was in training and I was able to catch on quickly. The manger was very cooperative and gave me longer hours when I requested so. It was very past pace and slightly hectic at times which is expected with fast food restaurants. I always had something to do, and I learned to think and act quickly. Working here was a great experience for me.
Pros
relaxing compared to fast food jobs
Cons
long hours, few employees
Not fulfilling needs and expectations.
Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Armstrong, BCDecember 23, 2015
Hours are not sufficient, trainees receive more hours than staff in slow times, staff is not team based or friendly. There is more gossip than a grade 9 drama class. Training is lacking over the long term but initial training is satisfactory. Management is vigilant and fair, though the schedules are not planned far enough ahead. Staff does not receive set hours over long term, making shifts hard to plan ahead for. Staff receives 30% off food for themselves but only while on their shift. Over all system is flawed due to the fact that only the people on cash can operate the tills, this is a flaw because when it is busy and one of the people on cash is busy elsewhere, only one till is operational, creating even more congestion. Not much, if any, opportunity for advancement.
Pros
30% off food on shift.
Cons
No hours, no advancement, drama-centric staff.
Good first job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 26, 2016
Dairy Queens are privately franchised and owned so working at each one will differ. If you live in a cooler climate and your store doesn't sell fast food then expect little to no hours for majority of the year. Also because it was such a small store and privately owned management would often allow personal issues to get in the way of how they treat you and how often you will work, also there is little to no growth within the company. The most enjoyable part of the job was probably working with such a close-knit team.
Pros
some times you can take home free products
Cons
not many hours, no benefits, no tips, minimum pay, no job growth
Fun, high pace, lots of people
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 10, 2016
This was my first "proper job". It taught me how to work a cash register, how a fast paced work environment functions, and how to deal with customers. A typical day would include taking orders, making orders, restocking ingredients, cleaning, drive thru, and occasionally writing on cakes. Most co-workers were extremely lovely to work with. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with all the orders on a really busy day. Some days we would not get breaks because we would be too busy running around making orders.
Pros
Discounted food, working in an ice cream related environment is refreshing in the summer
Cons
long hours, occasionally no breaks, no sick days allowed
First Job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONNovember 5, 2015
As my first job, it was a milestone that I crossed. Meeting different characters in a daily basis. Relating to each customers by understanding their tastes. This job educated me of the basic foundation of sales.
Pros
Sales experiance
Cons
Salary
Wonderful place to learn and grow
Ponoka Alberta, Part Time (Former Employee) –  Ponoka, ABApril 3, 2016
This location is a slight oddity for myself under the actual amount of time I worked here. I had been hired originally by a third party to aid in renovation construction of the location and was subsequently groomed to be an assisting manager before my unfortunately time departure from this location.

The managerial staff was, mostly, friendly and understanding of the other staff and their wishes while the kitchen staff, at the time, were abrasive and condescending of all the other staff. Post renovation upon the proper hiring of myself to the payroll the training was well designed so one would have little difficulties becoming accustomed to the various events happening simultaneously in the store.
Pros
welcoming staff, 50% off meals
Cons
abrasive kitchen staff
Great employees with greater management
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKMay 26, 2016
Dairy Queen has got to be my most enjoyable job yet. The staff are all incredible friendly and not at all clique-y. The managers are all super fair and understanding, they are very open to your needs.
This job taught me the importance of order of operations, how to quickly prepare quality food and to communicate well with others.
The hardest part of the job would have to be dealing with a mess or an incorrectly prepared order while mid-rush.
Pros
50% off food 30 minutes before or after shift (or during)
Cons
As with any service-industry position, snooty customers.
A short time but satisfying work experience
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 22, 2016
Although the time was short it was a interesting place to work meeting professional relationships with both employees and supervisors. A typical day at work was a moderate amount of customers purchasing items, management was decent and my co-workers were professional and decent young men and women. The hardest part of the job was "rush hour" where we would be serving customers and repeatedly cleaning products to reuse and help with customers again, I enjoyed everything about the job.
Pros
50% off products with employees
Cons
Little to do other than helping customers and nowhere to rest on breaks
Productive and fun to work with my staff.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, ABAugust 13, 2016
Working at Dairy Queen is fun for me, I get to encounter different people(costumers) from day to day. Any concerns addressed from my costumers, I do my best to meet their satisfactions and give them a reason to come back in my store. My co-workers are fun to work with, we get along, and we love making ice cream for our costumers. The hardest part in my job is to keep my staff in line when they start to escalate but overall I love my job, I like making ice cream.
Pros
Free Drinks
Cons
full 8 hours
Ensures customer satisfaction, fast-paced, efficient environment
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONApril 24, 2016
Dairy Queen was a fast-paced environment aimed to provide quality food for customers. Employees were to work fast to ensure satisfaction, yet provide quality. At Dairy Queen, I learned to further my customer service skilled, prepare food, and work a cashier. Fellow employees were all kind and skilled. The hardest yet also most enjoyable part of the job was the fast-paced environment. Dairy Queen was very busy in the summer, yet this pace made work enjoyable as there was always something to do and it allowed workers to improve themselves and their skills.
Stressful and Uncooperative Managment Team
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJuly 6, 2016
The entire company is owned by people who take out their anger on their employees. The workers there are sometimes immature from what I've heard from the past. Nobody helps you when you need it most then gets mad at you when you don't know what your doing. They don't consult you when you finish training other than to tell you that you're paying an extra $25 for the uniform. I'm sure other Dairy Queens aren't as bad, but this one I wouldn't recommend ever.
Pros
Money
Cons
Everything Else
My First Job and I loved it
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCFebruary 3, 2016
I would come in on time, and start to work. That being making blizzards, drinks, making cakes, taking orders, giving small talk to costumers and doing small kitchen work (fries/burgers).

What I learned was working with a close unit of people productively and respectively, you slowly turn into a family and develop bonds that are unbreakable. If the store didn't close down due to the owner not wanting it anymore, I think I would still be working there because the work dynamic was so nice.

The hardest part I would say about this job is saying goodbye when it closed.
Pros
Everything, Co-workers, Management, Costumers, Working life
Cons
Nothing, because work environment was wonderful
Dairy Queen
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Weyburn, SKMay 8, 2016
A typical day at work is always very busy, friendly faces, and happy customers. I have learned how to be faster at customer service, run the cashier desk on my own, make ice cream and I learned how important it is to have friends at work, someone to have your back as well. My co-workers are amazing, so very helpful, smiling and they have helped me to break out of my shy shell and show people who I really am. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I see the customer enjoying their days, and have a smiling welcome.
Pros
Discounts, Friends, Satisfied Customers.
Cons
Overwhelming, busy
I always have something to keep me busy
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 10, 2016
The first person to show up for the evening shift is expected to pick up any garbage seen inside and outside the store. After this you should fill the toppings that are halfway full, and wash any tools that have been used prior to your arrival if they have not been washed already. Throughout your shift it's important to stay attentive and keep yourself busy - clean the counter, change the milk bags, and fill the cone trays.

When costumers enter the store it's expected you drop what you're doing to acknowledge their arrival by greeting and asking them, "what can I get for you?" Interacting with costumers comes naturally to me, and that's why it's my favourite part of the job. If I notice they've been starring at our menu for sometime I approach them and ask if they prefer sweets or salts. Depending on their response I give my opinion on which product I believe they'd enjoy most.
Pros
Walking distance from home
Cons
Not enough hours (2 shifts/week)

2.7