Dairy Queen Employee Reviews

Fast paced work
Food Counter Attendant (Former Employee) –  Swift Current, SK18 January 2017
Made ice cream desserts
handled hot food
cleaned kitchen/counters/ ice cream machines
re-filled toppings/condiments
swept/mopped floors/ bathrooms
cleaned windows
coworkers were really nice
Hardest part was dealing with the overcrowding of staff working behind the counter during rushhour
I enjoyed making ice cream and making sure customers expectations were always met
Pros
Half off meals and drinks
Cons
NO reasoning with the boss at the time for time off for important family emergencys
Very attrative place , many hot spring,ski, beautiful mountain and lake.
Food Counter Attendant supervisor (Former Employee) –  1401 trans canada highway golden british columbia14 January 2017
I give you a tips to work in dairy queen is to be nice to the costumer, be approachable, always say hi or hello, give them smile, be attentive while you taking order to the costumer, repeat their order to be clear that all is correct,always keep on eye the cleanliness of the store, also check the food before you serve if is all complete, and always honest to your employer and to your co- workers. Always do your best !
Pros
50% discount for foods every duty.
Cons
30 minutes breaks
Excellent co-workers, menial work
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB5 January 2017
There's a social stigma attached to working fast service and dealing with that day in and day out can be frustrating. The shifts are hectic and customers impatient, but most of my co-workers are excellent to work with and made the repetitive task of making the 400th burger of the day much more bearable. You learn a lot about time management and effective communications because of this, but the job is mindless outside of that and provides little avenue for advancement or creative growth.
Good experience for a first job
Server (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 January 2017
As my first job, I probably had my best experience here. I was able to work with customers, thus expanding my knowledge for customer service, handle food, create cakes and also receive incoming products. The hardest part of the job was learning the recipes by heart especially when you need to know it when it becomes a busy day. The only downfall is winter days. Shifts start to lessen and shifts become a bit more slow.
Fast paced and fun!
Cook (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 February 2017
Working at Dairy Queen was a pretty great time for me! I was able to be constantly busy, but still able to make relations with those I worked with and was constantly learning new things. While some days were harder than others, it kept me engaged and trying to come up with new ways to do things to make the processes I went through easier.
Pros
Free lunches including dessert, good hours, never the same
Cons
Too much to do for one person
Productive and fun workplace
Volunteer/Course's (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 January 2017
By far the best job Iv'e had as my third job. In my opinion I think that Dairy Queen is fun workplace and very productive when you're at work. At my job when I'm working I don't find anything difficult, the job is pretty straight forward if you understand what you're doing. My most enjoyable part of my job is making the ice cream and serving customers with a positive attitude so they come back.
Surrounded hardworking people
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB5 February 2017
A typical day working at this establishment includes you walking in and getting greeted by your colleagues, You change and put on your uniform and ready to start. The day is filled with meeting all kinds of people and if ever in need of help, the other employees come to the rescue. I learned to be calm and confident,The hardest part of this job was overcoming my shyness, I was nervous all the time because I hated talking to people. But I learned to overcome my shyness and conversed easily with costumers. In this specific DQ I worked at, the atmosphere was filled with joy and laughter. The people I worked with were the most hardworking people I have ever met. Everything about this job was enjoyable, I would go back any day.
Pros
Comfortable Environment, Fun, Easygoing
Cons
Cleaning
Productive and fun place
Server (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON15 February 2017
Excellently run. I learned how to multitask in an environment that was very adaptable. The workplace culture is positive, for the most part. The hardest part of the job is learning how to respond to "difficult" customers; it is also, as with any minimum wage job, difficult to move up to a higher position. The most enjoyable part is interacting with staff.
Pros
Free fries, drinks, and cones per shift
Fun workplace with amazing people
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 February 2017
Working at Tomken Dairy Queen was the best thing that ever happened to me. Such a welcoming environment, with amazing people. Managers are super nice and will help and guide you through everything. I learned how to patiently deal with customers. I have gained a lot of patience with his job. Just coming into work with a such positive environment would put a smile on my face.
Interesting and an overall learning experience
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Tottenham, ON19 November 2016
Diary Queen was a job that taught me many skills in working in customer service, handling complaints and how to keep the generalized population of Tottenham happy. I learned much from my employers on the overall knowledge of running, owning, and maintaining a business. also, by having a hands on experience with the machines located at diary queen i was able to learn a great deal about hands on manual labor as well as the safety precautions needed in order to handle these machines properly. I also learned a great deal in food safety, ll of this included how o handle food properly when delivering it to a customer, as well as how to cook, prepare, and deliver food.
Good part time job but poor management skills
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 January 2017
I worked here for a couple months and did not like the management staff at all. When I requested to book a day off I would most likely not get it off and the staff was very inconsiderate and most of the time rude. In the summer time you have to work long hours until 11pm at night even if you are a student.
Pros
Discount on meals
Cons
Poor management skills
Strathmore Dairy Queen
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Strathmore, AB13 November 2016
Managers are very rude and unappreciative of the work and effort you put into this job, many times the owner has yelled at the staff infront of customers causing a few of them to leave. Owner blows her top way to often and can make it very uncomfortable for staff. Fun is not allowed. Theres a big disconnect on policies between supervisors and managers. However the owner is fairly flexible on working around your schedule if you have a second job, are in school or other extra curricular activities.
Pros
20% of food
Cons
Someone is always on your case.
friendly work environment
Cake manager, Shift manager (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON18 January 2017
Dairy Queen is a poorly managed shop, with great staff.
The staff dont know the best work ethics but this is due to a boss who overall doesnt give direction to his workers. The staff are great considering their training, some individuals have grown to be great workers in this facility, just not all the hire are trained very well
cashier
dairy queen (Former Employee) –  Innisfail, AB14 November 2016
i liked it at dq we worked at a fast pace and alot of overtime. i loved taking peoples orders and having a good attitude. the most enjoyable part of the job was making diffrent kinds of blizzards.the hardest part of the jopb was when it got busy and we had to do a whole bunch of things at a time.my coworkers were amazing to me and ive made a few friends form it and still friends to this day.
Pros
working at a fast pace
Cons
got off early sometimes
Productive and fun work place
Food Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 November 2016
Dairy Queen Orange julius is a fun work place. You can enjoy the work environment and you can able to meet and make new friends out from customers and co workers. Being part of management team, It is very interactive and a lot of learning activities everyday. Sharing of information, thinking of new ideas that can help each other to grow , especially for the benefit of the company.
Pros
Free food, discounts, paid vacation
Cons
Should be available all the time
Relatively easy job with many skills
Front counter staff and cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 December 2016
Being a front-counter worker, there are many skills that can be developed. Social skills and multi-tasking are a necessity. The workload is reasonable.
Pros
50% off regular prices food items, varying % discount on novelties. Flexible work hours
Cons
Minimum wage, no free lunch/dinner or drinks. Limited hours (many workers).
friendly and cooperative coworkers
CASHIER & CREW MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Quebec City, QC2 November 2016
A typical shift at Dairy Queen was pretty straight forward. We were each given responsibilities for closing and what we had to produce when there weren't too many clients. When serving clients we helped each other. There was often tension however seeing as it was not very well organised and there was miscommunication and problems with payment.
Pros
half off for anything on the menu
Cons
every shift ended at midnight
its awesome...
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Emerald Park, SK23 October 2016
It was a very good opportunity for interacting with people or you can say to be social. By working in front you get to serve and deal with different community people. Where i worked, it was really perfect work environment. I learned a lot there. I would give full credit to my managers they gave lots of opportunity to learn.

Tons of thanks to them.
Pros
good work environment, communication..
Cons
when it gets busy misunderstandings happens which i guess happens everywhere.....
Typical day at the ice cream store in summer
Sales Associate, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Gloucester, ON7 February 2017
Huge lineups start to appear around 7pm from the soccer teams close to the store. It constantly involves messy chocolate spills and ice cream on clothes. There is a lot of refilling toppings involved.
Pros
free food, free ice cream, free ice cream cake on bdays
Cons
very busy, heavy manual workload
Fun work environment with lots of hours for a Highschool position
Supervisor/ Team leader (Former Employee) –  Tottenham, ON15 January 2017
It was always fun, my co workers were great most of the time, the manager and owner were passionate and cared about their employees even though the majority were part time. Tons of hours also if you were to take the position on full time, somtimes up to 60 hours a week.

2.7