Dairy Queen Employee Reviews in Canada

productive
Cashier (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ONJune 24, 2016
I enjoyed working as an employee at dairy queen, my typical days at work included a lot of multitasking and assuring great customer service, I learnt how to manage time & how to utilize my skills such as interacting with customers,my coworkers at the time were great and the hardest part of the job would have been stock, most enjoyable part of the job would be everything.
Pros
50% discount
Cons
One 15 minute breaks after a 6 hour shift
ok
Tables (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 16, 2016
Not very good when it comes to switching shifts due to family problems. Did not happen to me but my co worker. Some Co workers lazy and bosses just watch and don't say anything. Wait a Month or two until a Staff meeting rather than dealing with it their.
Pros
talk to people
Cons
cleaning toilets, customer food order wrong, Bad Leadership
Very dead place of work in winters
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 14, 2016
The summer was jam packed with customers, lines always out the door. In the winter there was no work, and no hours, meaning low pay and scurring for a second job.
Pros
Free Artic Rushes
Cons
WInters are brutal
Productive, fast-paced environment
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 14, 2016
A typical day was very productive and I always found something that someone and I can do make it a better work environment and better environment for the customers. I learned to have more confidence and keep up with a fast-paced environment especially in the drive-thru. in my opinion, the management at Dairy Queen could've been better in keeping morale with employees at a higher priority. Co-workers were really friendly and I always focused on my job first no matter the relationship with co-workers. The hardest part of the job would be keeping up with the fast-paced environment when it was really busy. The most enjoyable part of the job would be taking orders.
Pros
The 50% discount for breaks and free drinks.
great place to be,
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PEJune 14, 2016
wonderful environment perfect management, friendly staff and customers, store always kept clean an filled. everything up to date.
Great Family Atmosphere
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBJune 11, 2016
I loved working at Dairy Queen, they were really good people to their employees. They were also great with scheduling. I learned a lot on selling there products, making me a better sales person. The management was great. Co-workers were like family. The hardest part of the job, was being on my feet. The most enjoyable was working with the customers.
Pros
Good discount
Cons
Low wage, Hard on feet
Fast pace but lost of fun
Dairy Queen Crew member (Former Employee) –  Petawawa, ONJune 9, 2016
I enjoyed my short period working at Dairy Queen.
I worked seasonal which made it very hard. I ended up working two jobs and that made my life hectic. I quit because I needed to get one job that could guarantee the hours I needed.
Pros
Awesome coworkers
Cons
Seasonal
Clean workplace with flexible hours
Cook (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCJune 8, 2016
Well maintained and cleaned location with great staff. Hours were incredibly flexible with my busy school schedule. Management was well organized and freely available for any problems that arose.
Pros
Discounted food
Generally good experience
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 2, 2016
- trained well
- clean store
- good coworkers
- good overall environment
- only small conflicts, usually resolved right away
- stagnant pay
- no benefits
Work place is productive and helpfull.
Crew member (Current Employee) –  McArthur, ONJune 2, 2016
I learned to work in a crew oriented job for the first time.This job helped me to improve my customer service. My co-workers helped me to handle customers and make orders clearly and more friendly.
Making order and delivering it to the customers is the hardest part but working with a friendly surrounding helped me enjoy my work more easily.
fun workplace
Ice Cream Server (Current Employee) –  Morinville, ABJune 1, 2016
it is a fun place to work, most of the managers are very nice, the co workers are for the most part great, i just like the fact that it is a safe and fun work environment.
Fun environment but poor work conditions and poor management
Employee (Current Employee) –  North York, ONMay 30, 2016
Poor working conditions in the summer, too hot in there to work; however, nice co-workers made the job a fun environment.
Its good for a starter job
Cashier/General Worker (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ONMay 29, 2016
Teenage students should apply, there's lots of skills to learn, but you don't want to stay forever, there isn't much advancement
Pros
discounts on food
Cons
understaffed, overzealous customers
Dairy queen job
Dairy Queen (Former Employee) –  Cache Creek, BCMay 26, 2016
It was great but my favorite part was making burgers and learning how to build the perfect ice cream cone. I also enjoyed interacting with my work buddies.
Pros
25% off
Cons
its hard to make ice cream
Great employees with greater management
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKMay 26, 2016
Dairy Queen has got to be my most enjoyable job yet. The staff are all incredible friendly and not at all clique-y. The managers are all super fair and understanding, they are very open to your needs.
This job taught me the importance of order of operations, how to quickly prepare quality food and to communicate well with others.
The hardest part of the job would have to be dealing with a mess or an incorrectly prepared order while mid-rush.
Pros
50% off food 30 minutes before or after shift (or during)
Cons
As with any service-industry position, snooty customers.
Fast Pace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMay 17, 2016
Throughout the summer it's non stop fast pace, you have to be willing to work hard for hours and the pay in minimum wage if you're over 18 under is student wage
Not the greatest work environment
Part-time employee (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 16, 2016
Had to dig through a clogged toilet with only dainty thin gloves, & there was no plunger. Also did not get my cheque for almost 2 whole months, the manager would not answer of my calls, texts, & was "not in" when I got there.
Pros
Learned good standing positions for when you are on your feet for long periods of time.
Cons
No breaks, employees were not very nice
good fun place to work
Front Counter Attendant (Former Employee) –  Ponoka, ABMay 16, 2016
second job ive ever had and good workplace to be in people are friendly and coworkers are very nice people. loved working there. miss it lots
A clean and professional fast food environment, with a great crowd.
Customer Service Representative & Food Prep (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLMay 15, 2016
My time at Dairy Queen was quite enjoyable! Training there is straightforward with the right balance of written, spoken, and hands on material. I immediately noticed the friendliness of the staff as they were all quick to greet me and try to get to know me. As most of us know, working in the fast food industry can become quite monotonousness, but my coworkers provided relief from the unvarying kitchen tasks. I quickly became friends with all of them, and made some that last still to this day. The management is also wonderful. I put my all into whatever task I am doing, and that was noticed shortly after I began working there. I was offered a raise and the option to pick my own hours within three months! If there were any flaws in the management or execution of daily tasks, I didn't see them. The only flaw I could find was in the actual infrastructure itself. I was working at the restaurant located on topsail road, which has barely been renovated since it was installed there more than twenty years ago. When I worked in the kitchen I felt extremely claustrophobic, as it is no more than 10x12 feet. You can fit no more than 3 people in there, and the oven makes work extremely uncomfortable. However I have visited all of the other Dairy Queen locations in my area, and they are all quite spacious and inviting, so I can see renovations in the near future. It was tough to have to leave, but I needed to further my education, and help get my grandfathers business back off of the ground. All in all, my time there was quite enjoyable, and I would recommend this job to anyone looking for  more... employment in the restaurant business.  less
Pros
Great management, friendly staff
Cons
Small working area
Fun, high pace, lots of people
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 10, 2016
This was my first "proper job". It taught me how to work a cash register, how a fast paced work environment functions, and how to deal with customers. A typical day would include taking orders, making orders, restocking ingredients, cleaning, drive thru, and occasionally writing on cakes. Most co-workers were extremely lovely to work with. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with all the orders on a really busy day. Some days we would not get breaks because we would be too busy running around making orders.
Pros
Discounted food, working in an ice cream related environment is refreshing in the summer
Cons
long hours, occasionally no breaks, no sick days allowed