Dairy Queen Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Not fulfilling needs and expectations.
Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Armstrong, BCDecember 23, 2015
Pros: 30% off food on shift.
Cons: No hours, no advancement, drama-centric staff.
Hours are not sufficient, trainees receive more hours than staff in slow times, staff is not team based or friendly. There is more gossip than a grade 9 drama class. Training is lacking over the long term but initial training is satisfactory. Management is vigilant and fair, though the schedules are not planned far enough ahead. Staff does not receive set hours over long term, making shifts hard to plan ahead for. Staff receives 30% off food for themselves but only while on their shift. Over all system is flawed due to the fact that only the people on cash can operate the tills, this is a flaw because when it is busy and one of the people on cash is busy elsewhere, only one till is operational, creating even more congestion. Not much, if any, opportunity for advancement.
Great Work Environment
Supervisor (Current Employee), Port Moody, BCNovember 3, 2015
Pros: Lovely staff, flexible hours
Cons: Minimum wage, raises are rare
The atmosphere at this DQ is very welcoming and comfortable. The staff are friendly and the management is very understanding when it comes to a life-work balance. Although the pay is not great and pay raises are rare, it will be given to those who show constant and efficient work.
Could be better, desserts are amazing
Cook (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMarch 8, 2016
Pros: good food.
Cons: short pay and have to pay for your lunch
Oh i loved eating the food here and the desserts, they tasted so good even though they are very unhealthy. Manager didn't really care to much, tempered easily and wasn't very understanding to certain situations like why you were late or cant work a day. Employees always felt mad or unhappy, pay wasn't to good and fights and arguments daily. They weren't really dealt with very well, and some were scared to tell the boss and possibly be fired. Things arnt always on time but usually 5mins most to be ready. All in all you go home tired and not wanting to work the next day. Unless you work with cakes all day, but you have to be supervisor for that.
My First Job and I loved it
Cashier (Former Employee), Richmond, BCFebruary 3, 2016
Pros: Everything, Co-workers, Management, Costumers, Working life
Cons: Nothing, because work environment was wonderful
I would come in on time, and start to work. That being making blizzards, drinks, making cakes, taking orders, giving small talk to costumers and doing small kitchen work (fries/burgers).

What I learned was working with a close unit of people productively and respectively, you slowly turn into a family and develop bonds that are unbreakable. If the store didn't close down due to the owner not wanting it anymore, I think I would still be working there because the work dynamic was so nice.

The hardest part I would say about this job is saying goodbye when it closed.
I enjoyed working at Dairy Queen
Cashier (Former Employee), Yonge, ONMarch 16, 2016
Pros: relaxing compared to fast food jobs
Cons: long hours, few employees
I enjoyed working here very much. All the employees were very helpful and it was a friendly environment. Everyone helped me while I was in training and I was able to catch on quickly. The manger was very cooperative and gave me longer hours when I requested so. It was very past pace and slightly hectic at times which is expected with fast food restaurants. I always had something to do, and I learned to think and act quickly. Working here was a great experience for me.
easy going and a good environment
Cashier (Former Employee), Richmond Hill, ONFebruary 10, 2016
Pros: Discounts on food
Cons: no set breaks
I clock in and go onto the cash register and take orders, then make the order that was taken and hand it out to the customer. I learned to be patient because it would be very busy with crazy line ups on drive thru and service. My management and co-workers were friendly and easy to work with. The hardest part about the job was clearing line ups when it would be really busy and we were short on staff, but we got by. The most enjoyable part was making new friends.
Fun work place
Cashier/Shift leader (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 11, 2016
Pros: free lunches
Cons: on your feet a lot
A typical day at DQ started with opening the store cleaning, preparing toppings for the day and food. I learned how to be fast on my feet especially on miracle treat day. You have to be able to deal with customers on a daily basis of all ages. I learnt a lot about products as you had to deal with customers who have never been to the store or ordered a cake. The management was fun but they have a strong value in you must work and talk. Show them that you want to be there. The hardest part of my job was dealing with angry customers. Some people there is honestly no pleasing no matter how hard you try. You just have to keep your chin up and know that no matter what if you have tried every thing to please them than at least you did your best. I loved meeting new people or meeting the regulars the first time. I love to interact with people and listen to them and some of them shared a lot of stories of their life. I liked dealing with the many kids sports teams that would come in. I also loved working miracle treat day even if it got crazy. It was great training firefighters and making friends with them. I loved giving back to the hospital and how much the community wanted to help.
fun, exciting and always something new to learn.
Counter Clerk (Former Employee), Cornwall, ONFebruary 29, 2016
Pros: meeting the customers
Cons: very fast pace
A typical day at work starts with everyone helping out to prepare for the day ahead. There is always something new to learn everyday, improving on our skills. Management is always ready to give a hand. the hardest part of this job is the extremely fast pace of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting the customers.
Upbeat workplace with great co-workers
Server/Cashier (Former Employee), Thunder Bay, ONNovember 9, 2015
Pros: 50% off food during your break
Cons: Only get discounts while you're on break
A typical day at work would be busy and fast-paced. I learnt how to make every kind of blizzard along with how to improve my communication skills with customers along with solving situations. Management was somewhat understanding but would publicly write about workers on the backboard. My coworkers were great to work with, they were very positive and hard-working. The hardest part of the job was simply keeping my uniform clean due to working with ice cream and candy pieces. In conclusion, the most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know new people and seeing the smiles on customers faces.
Great Place for a First Job
Laborer (Former Employee), Stayner, ONNovember 25, 2015
Pros: Good Staff
Cons: Very overbearing management
Dairy Queen is a nice place to start working, especially for a first job. The average labor in a day is not heavy when kitchen staff (people prefer the ice cream more often than the food). They will train you to use the chemicals and cleaners they use properly and the small location makes this a very easy job. The staff was probably the best part of the job as they are all friendly and work oriented. The management of Dairy Queen is very strict but forgiving. They will not make it the end of the world on small mistakes, but they will make a point for more grievous mistakes.
Greatly flexible management and friendly co-workers
Grill Cook (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 19, 2016
Pros: decent hours given especially if asked for.
Cons: Long periods of time standing in front of hot kitchen equipment
Well organized and dedicated staff that work well in teamwork demanding situations. Management was highly flexible with the work schedule and would make adjustments when required if supplied with enough notice. Very friendly and professional atmosphere.
Alright place
Team Member (Current Employee), Winnipeg, ManitobaMarch 21, 2016
Pros: 50% off of food during work
Cons: so under staff
Okay place to work with but work hours are not alright. I learned how to deal with customers better. My co-workers are helpful and fun to work with. The management is not that good and we are under staff so workload is harder but manageable.
fun workplace
Shift Manager (Current Employee), Sidney, BCMarch 31, 2016
Pros: decent pay
Cons: understaffed
Fun work place, good for a first job. they only hire children thought. The most enjoyable part of the job is the customers, many come back everyday and it;s great to see them hapy. the co-workers are okay, most are friendly and hard working. management is alright, could be better.
Awful management and horrible work employees
Dairy Queen Employee (Former Employee), Surrey, BCDecember 12, 2015
Pros: Store discount
Cons: Awful work envirnoment
The Fleetwood Dairy Queen is awful. The management constantly belittles the employees behind their backs and the employees are horrendous. I have been blamed for incidents several times that were my colleagues doing as well as when threatened by a customer was forced to meet their demands because of the management. If you want to work for Dairy Queen, avoid this store like the plague.
Management At the Dutch village road location
Cashier (Former Employee), Halifax, NSMarch 30, 2016
Pros: none
Cons: everything
the management at this location is terribly unfair and power hungry. They pick on the employees that have disabilities. One of the managers tries to get right into your personal life and asks about your bedroom life and tries to hook you up with the people who work there, its ridiculous.
Good place to work with. Staff are friendly.
Store Supervisor (Former Employee), Whitecourt, ABApril 7, 2016
Task is easy to learn, staff are nice and friendly. Time is flexible, management has a consideration should you have any requests ahead of time. The challenge is you'll never know if your colleagues will going to show up or or not especially on a very busy weekends as most of them are still very young.
recieving customers and working in a team environment
Server/Cashier (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKApril 6, 2016
Pros: Learning
Cons: no lunch
Making the tip of the ice cream into a swirl. To stay calm in a team and no team work environment. Management wasn't that good. My co workers were awesome. No hard work actually when I started i was nervous but the co workers made me feel better. Learning to take orders
Wonderful place to learn and grow
Ponoka Alberta, Part Time (Former Employee), Ponoka, ABApril 3, 2016
Pros: welcoming staff, 50% off meals
Cons: abrasive kitchen staff
This location is a slight oddity for myself under the actual amount of time I worked here. I had been hired originally by a third party to aid in renovation construction of the location and was subsequently groomed to be an assisting manager before my unfortunately time departure from this location.

The managerial staff was, mostly, friendly and understanding of the other staff and their wishes while the kitchen staff, at the time, were abrasive and condescending of all the other staff. Post renovation upon the proper hiring of myself to the payroll the training was well designed so one would have little difficulties becoming accustomed to the various events happening simultaneously in the store.
I always have something to keep me busy
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 10, 2016
Pros: Walking distance from home
Cons: Not enough hours (2 shifts/week)
The first person to show up for the evening shift is expected to pick up any garbage seen inside and outside the store. After this you should fill the toppings that are halfway full, and wash any tools that have been used prior to your arrival if they have not been washed already. Throughout your shift it's important to stay attentive and keep yourself busy - clean the counter, change the milk bags, and fill the cone trays.

When costumers enter the store it's expected you drop what you're doing to acknowledge their arrival by greeting and asking them, "what can I get for you?" Interacting with costumers comes naturally to me, and that's why it's my favourite part of the job. If I notice they've been starring at our menu for sometime I approach them and ask if they prefer sweets or salts. Depending on their response I give my opinion on which product I believe they'd enjoy most.
love this place nice staff and management
Cook/Prep (Current Employee), Devon, ABSeptember 15, 2015
Pros: great staff, and management
Cons: not enough hours
I like this place to work nice staff and management and great benefits the most enjoyable part is to cook for the customers