Daily Bread Food Bank is one of Toronto’s most recognized non-profit, charitable organizations and is dedicated to fighting to end hunger in our communities. Daily Bread Food Bank solicits and distributes food to individuals and families in immediate need of assistance through a network of over 170 member agencies. For more information, visit www.dailybread.ca.
Job Title: Warehouse Associate
Reporting to: Warehouse Supervisor
Location: 191 New Toronto Street, Toronto, ON M8V 2E7
The Warehouse Associate is responsible for working through the day-to-day operations on the warehouse floor, including shipping/receiving, inventory movement and order picking as directed by the Supervisor or Lead Hand.
We need a team player who works with a sense of urgency, has a keen eye for detail and takes the initiative to identify and solve problems. The ideal candidate will be able to think outside the box and be willing to share and help implement new ideas.
Adherence to health and safety is essential at Daily Bread Food Bank, and the Warehouse Associate must take Health and Safety responsibilities very seriously.
- With the assistance of volunteers, the Warehouse Associate ensures agency orders are fully picked and accurately recorded in the Warehouse Management System (WMS).
- Controls stock replenishment in designated areas and advises management of any ‘out of stock’ products.
- Ensures all incoming donations and outgoing orders are properly inspected, received, wrapped, tagged, weighed, and recorded in the WMS, then staged in their designated locations.
- Assists in maintaining daily orderliness and cleanliness, efficiency and safe warehouse operation in accordance with Daily Bread’s policies and procedures.
- Complies with federal, provincial and local warehousing, material handling, and other requirements (i.e., Occupational Health & Safety, food safety policies and procedures) and advises management on needed actions.
- Immediately report all accidents, property damage and/or work related injuries to the Supervisor or Lead Hand and complete all necessary paperwork
- Assists with Daily Bread events and any other duties as assigned by the Supervisor or other senior staff at Daily Bread Food Bank.
- Operates only the equipment that he or she has been trained and certified to use.
- Immediately reports all unauthorized or misuse of company equipment to management.
- Ensures the efficient and safe operation of material handling equipment and facilities usage in accordance with company health and safety policies and procedures.
- Completes daily circle checks of the power equipment and daily recharging of pertinent electrical/mechanical equipment.
- Notifies the Supervisor or Lead Hand of any defaults or health and safety issues with the power equipment.
- Records all inventory activity in the WMS (boxes picked, donations received, waste, etc.) accurately, immediately advising the Supervisor or Lead Hand of any system concerns.
- Ensures end of day data is entered correctly in the system (i.e. agency skid count and weight).
- Assists with daily, monthly and annual inventory of the warehouse, coolers, and freezer.
- Files all paperwork and documentation accordingly and on a daily basis.
- Grade 12 diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in a warehouse/distribution environment.
- Shipping/receiving experience is an asset.
- Forklift certification a definite asset.
- WHMIS and Food Handling certification an asset.
- Working knowledge of MS Word, Excel and Email.
- Experience and understanding of a non-profit or food organization is an asset
- Experience or exposure to computerized warehouse and inventory management systems is an asset.
KEY COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS
- Ability to read, write and speak fluent English.
- Physically capable of performing manual labour and have the ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds on a consistent basis.
- High performance standards; the ability to take initiative and a commitment to continuous improvement.
- A team player with effective interpersonal, organizational and communication skills with a focus on customer service.
- Solid understanding and ability to adhere to health and safety measures within the warehouse environment.
To be considered, forward a covering letter stating why you are suitable for the role along with your résumé by Friday, May 17, 2013 to:
Daily Bread Food Bank
191 New Toronto Street
Toronto, ON M8V 2E7
Daily Bread Food Bank thanks all individuals who apply for this position and will only contact candidates who are selected for an interview. Daily Bread Food Bank is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from members of designated groups.