Dollarama, Canada's largest dollar store chain, is now recruiting talented, energetic, and enthusiastic ASSISTANT MANAGERS in the Kitchener and Cambridge Ontario areas. Dollarama offers a stimulating and diverse work environment - one where our teams have the opportunity to develop and hone their management skills while, at the same time, building a great career. ASSISTANT MANAGERS with Dollarama enjoy a competitive benefits package including medical and drug plans, life and disability insurance, and the opportunity to participate in a company matched pension plan.
Position: Assistant Store Manager
Function: To provide general management, overseeing the functioning of the store, ensuring customer service, general merchandising, managing staff.
Reports to: Store Manager/District Manager
Employees of Dollarama work in a challenging and diverse environment. Dollarama is committed to encouraging the development of new skills and attributes in its workforce. A safe and healthy environment is provided to all employees. It is critical that staff are able to adapt to a changing work environment and to acquire new skills as these become necessary.
The incumbent is responsible for assisting in managing and overseeing the retail store operations. Working as part of a team, the incumbent performs general merchandising and management duties ensuring that all activities required to ensure the proper running of the store, as required, are completed and that these duties are completed in a professional manner. Controls access to the establishment and enforces rules or regulations. Assists in the coordination of workflow of regular and casual staff. Incumbent supports the functioning of the store.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Performs general management duties including:
- Assigning tasks to store employees, in the absence of the store manager
- Opening and closing the store in accordance with set operating procedures
- Balancing the cash registers and overseeing the preparation of all cash deposits.
- Ensure that established merchandising practices are followed.
- Oversee the receiving of all merchandise and ensure that it is displayed according to established company policies and procedures
- Assist in the preparation of all required reports with respect to store sales and forward them to head office
- Assist in the training of all new employees with respect to established policies and procedures, including security and safety practices
- Supervise and assign tasks to store employees
- Respond to and assist in the investigation and resolution of all issues with respect to store employee conduct
- Ensure that all company policies and procedures with respect to health, safety and security are implemented and followed for employees and customers.
- Verify payroll in store managers absence
- Investigate all incidents which result in a work related injury and ensure timely reporting of incidents to the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board, in the absence of the store manager.
- Participating in the serving of customers, including directing customers to appropriate aisles, dealing with customer concerns and incidents.
Respond to emergency situations with standard corrective action as appropriate and notify the District Manager of problems requiring further assistance.
Greet customers entering the establishment and direct customers to appropriate aisles.
Must work in accordance to set operating policies and procedures, including health and safety policies.
Must ensure all staff and on site contractors are working in accordance with set health and safety policies and procedures.
Must work in compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and report all hazards to the Store Manager.
Assist in daily store inspection of the premises, to ensure proper practices and procedures are in place and being implemented. Must take appropriate corrective action if staff are noted to be working in a manner that is non compliant to existing policies and procedures. This includes taking the appropriate corrective action.
May undertake other duties as delegated in support of the district or store.
Must be able to work the required shifts including days, evenings, and weekends and the occasional overtime hours required due to seasonal demands.
Completion of high school (diploma). Previous related experience will be considered an asset. Consideration will be given to an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Communication skills to deal with co-workers and the public.
Ability to supervise staff.
Knowledge of applicable provincial legislation including the Employment Standards Act, the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Workplace Safety and Insurance legislation.
Physical stamina to perform job duties.
Plan daily work schedule and prioritize.
Assist the management and staff with questions, and redirect inquiries as appropriate.
Take immediate corrective action in emergency situations and take appropriate steps to minimize damage, avoid risk and maintain safety.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Yes