Digital Specialty Chemicals is a world leader in fine and specialty chemicals for the Pharmaceutical, Electrical and Industrial markets. Digital is committed to responsible stewardship and a legacy of health and safety and environmental accountability. DSC’s manufacturing facility is an ISO 9001/ 14001 (2004) registered company and a member of the Toronto East CAER association. We are currently looking for an experienced Process Chemical Engineer with a drive to succeed and a commitment to excellence.
Process Chemical Engineer
As a Process Chemical Engineer, reporting to the Director of Manufacturing Support, you will coordinate and facilitate the DSC new product implementation process. He/she will interact with R&D, process development and manufacturing to insure a seamless transition of information between functions and an on time implementation of new technologies.
With your thorough knowledge and application of pertinent industry codes (building, electrical, fire, OHSA) you will contribute to a clean, safe and reliable operating plant by assisting in H&S activities, implementing preventive plant and building maintenance and managing maintenance staff, coordinating their work activities (along with outside contractors) to complete assigned job tasks.
You will be expected to improve the efficiency and productivity of existing production units and processes and will exhibit the initiative to recommend and justify equipment modifications and additions and process flow improvements. You will see these projects through to implementation with an objective of improving the efficiency of the corporation and identifying opportunities for cost reduction, with the ultimate goal of improving plant operations and the profitability of the company.
This person will establish a clear focus and direction for their area of responsibility including but not be limited to an adherence to all local, provincial and federal standards. You must be highly organized, paying strict attention to detail at all times (following procedures, documentation requirements, equipment usage).
The individual chosen will be responsible for updating and maintaining all process records and documentation. Attendance and participation at meetings and the publication of clear and concise reports will be as required.
You will provide leadership and guidance, while driving for continuous improvement and effectively communicating with our internal and external responsible manufacturing personnel with clear and concise reports.
To help drive our growth, you have:
- Minimum of 5-7 years’ experience in plant operations in the chemical industry.
- A minimum of a B.S. degree in Chemical Engineering with your P.Eng. Designation from the Professional Engineers of Ontario.
- Commitment to EH&S in all facets of work with proven experience in Hazop, Management of Change, and strong application knowledge of pertinent regulatory codes (building, electrical, fire codes).
- Demonstrated innovative ability to improve efficiencies, yields, lower energy costs for batch-based reaction chemistry, distillation and filtration. The successful candidate will interact with R&D and Process Development chemists and operators in the plant to identify and implement appropriate equipment & process engineering improvements.
- Proven practical knowledge across a wide range of supporting plant utilities systems and equipment (e.g., heater-chillers, make-up air, HVAC, Scrubbing systems, closed-loop water-cooling, vacuum and material transfer pumps).
- Demonstrated experience in managing a maintenance team and implementing an effective preventative maintenance plan within budget.
- The ability to troubleshoot and improve the efficiency of existing chemical processes
- The ability to recommend equipment modifications and process flow improvements
- Excellent written and oral proficiency in English with strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong computer skills including: MS Office as well as engineering design software.
- Able to effectively work with changing priorities and work schedules.
If you are interested in joining our team and contributing to our success through this position, please submit your resume by e-mail.
DSC is committed to equal opportunity employment. Thank you to all candidates for your interest, however only those who are selected will be contacted.