D2L Employee Reviews

Great Place to work!
Manger, Implementation Services (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON5 September 2017
Coming from the Financial industry, I was pleasantly surprised by the eLearning industry and D2L. eLearning is very collaborative and clients are willing to work with each other to advance learning. After attending D2L's my first Fusion conference, it was amazing to see how much client's like working with D2L.

D2L is a great place to work and I am fortunate enough to work with some talented people. There are great perks (ie - free snacks, coffee, tea, and home internet etc..) and benefits. D2L senior leadership appears to take employee satisfaction very seriously and I have seen first hand the improvements made on feedback that has been shared.
Pros
great people
Changing how the world learns ... and works
Manager (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON28 August 2017
My D2L colleagues are great collaborators and innovators. Management truly cares about changing the way the world learns, and about the D2L employee culture and experience. The office vibe is fast-paced but comfortable and informal. Dogs are allowed in the office, and that adds to the ambience.

But the best part is being a part of a great team with the intelligence and dedication needed to bring a truly ground-breaking learning platform to market, and constantly working to further enhance it.
Pros
Smart co-workers. Great culture.
Cons
None that I can think of.
D2L Rocks
Manager (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, Ontario28 August 2017
D2L is a growing company that has a culture that is dynamic and fast paced. You are always learning, developing and have lots of opportunities for growth. Its a company that emphasizes humility, authenticity and confidence. We have focus and we concentrate on execution. People are great - they care, help each other, collaborate, share, and want what's best for D2L and for their team mates. There are lots of social activities, perks for a company of its size, and management/ HR is focused on transparency, communication and building an awesome culture. We have strides to make here but no different from other companies our size. Our products are great - our customers amazing - and our people the best.

Your career is what you make it.
Pros
Environment, work/ life focus, Focus on people overall, diversity, products, caring leaders
Cons
The building for some is great - needs better ventiliation, etc; Still learning to work globally;
Toxic workplace
Bilingual Help Desk (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON24 August 2017
While I was there I was treated like absolute garbage and was provided no training whatsoever; even though I was promised training. It consisted of shadowing some people on their PCs while they were working. This is hardly enough to know the job! I quickly learned D2L really meant "Desire 2 Leave." You should check out their reviews on Glassdoor, and check out the constructive dismissal cases against the company in the past 7 years. There were and are frequent lay-offs as well.
Pros
free food
Cons
little training, advancement, bad management
n/a (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON29 May 2017
Really enjoy the people that work here
Have received opportunities for career growth
2 volunteer days per year
Monthly socials, board game nights and other opportunities to get to know other D2Lers
Pros
Professional development, volunteer days, dogs, awesome managers
Cons
Room for improvement with communication but transparency has come a long way in the past year
Official response from D2L
2 September 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! I hope that you are continuing to enjoy #LifeatD2L and the impact that you have in this exciting industry!

No advancement ..
Sales (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON10 May 2017
Average salary, good benefits
Fun culture and coworkers
Lack of management direction and new managers with no experience
High turnover and frequent layoffs
Pros
Coffee and snacks, culture and coworkers
Cons
Poor management, no advancement
A company lost in translation (formerly known as Desire2Learn)
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON21 June 2016
Working in marketing at D2L was not as exciting as some employees seemed to convey during the interview process. Being a 15-year-old "start-up" really doesn't qualify as one. Part of the reason is a fundamental lack of leadership and direction from management which continues even after venture capital funding.

Strategy in marketing took a shotgun and bandaid approach. Much should be done to provide sales with material needed for more complex products outside of their traditional Learning Management System.

I quickly discovered D2L really means "Desire2Leave".
Pros
Many interesting, passionate co-workers; casual office atmosphere
Cons
Heavy workloads (even for tech industry); Lack of departmental co-operation; frequent layoffs
Good Place To Start
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON27 February 2015
I loved the amazing people I got to work with on a day to day basis, especially within the team setting.

The wages were not great, but the benifits were really good and the inoffice perks were amazing.

This is a great place to start a career. You gain a lot of great experience, both good and bad.
Pros
Free Coffee, free snack, free in office massages, dog friendly, work from home friendly, flexible work hours
Cons
Poor pay, long hours, minimal support from management, high level of inter office politics.
Dynamic young fun and growing place to work
Senior Project Manager, SaaS (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON18 August 2014
- Open environment, flat organization
- Get it done approach
- Teams that get along well together
An interesting culture and environment.
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON1 August 2014
The best part was dealing with my clients and the free coffee.
Be a sponge; it’s incumbent upon you to learn as much as you can during your time here.
Sales (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON14 March 2014
This is a great place to work if this is your first major job after completing university or college and are eager to invest in your career.
Pros
Cool culture, plenty of opportunities to socialize after hours, involved with community, environmental policies, genuine desire to better the world.
Cons
Long hours, seemingly little regard for those with outside committments (i.e. family).
Has the most wonderful people you could work with, in a company that is quickly moving forward.
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON18 November 2013
I worked for Desire2Learn full-time for less than 2 years before being laid off.

Great people to work with who are passionate, intelligent, and easy to get along with. Instantly felt at home here.

Pros:
- Casual atmosphere with great work life balance.
- Fast growing company, which makes it exciting to work at.
- The company is improving all the time. Great to see positive change happening.

Cons:
- As the company grows, departments are being silo-ed, which creates a disconnect between departments
- Certain departments have un-addressed deficiencies and inefficiencies that eventually effect other departments.
- Losing focus on creating the best product.

The corporate culture is still amalgamating and is in flux.

The products and services are bloated and need focus.

The Marketing team needs focus, which is most likely a symptom of bloated products and services.