CURRENT REQUIREMENT - CORPORATE CONTROLLER - BURNABY, BC
Reports to: Vice President, Finance
Indirect reports to: None
Supervises: Supervisor Financial Accounting & Supervisor Operational Accounting
- Primary internal relationships are related to servicing the financial needs of the organization which requires interaction with the organization at all levels of management and significant relationship with the company’s account managers within the Vendor Development Team.
- Secondary internal relationships include dialogue regarding providing support to the Accounting Supervisors, and Vice President, Finance.
- External relationships are also significant. Key external relationships include external auditors and tax authorities as well as with business partners, vendors and suppliers.
- Business degree and accounting designation, combined with management education and/or experience.
- 3 – 5 years experience in a senior accounting role within an audited group of companies at a corporate level.
- Experience managing staff with preference given to management of accounting staff.
- Additional experience in a retail environment and with public reporting company is desirable.
- Experience communicating (oral & written) with all levels of management including senior-level executives both internally and externally
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics Great Plains version 10
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, especially MS Excel
- Excellent organizational skills with an ability to balance multiple priorities in a fast-paced, rapidly-changing work environment
- Work independently to plan tasks and manage time
- Demonstrated business acumen and professionalism
- Well developed sense of teamwork and the ability to turn talent into performance.
- Self starter with ability to learn quickly
- Assertive, yet diplomatic interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of FRx Professional for financial reporting
- Advanced customer service experience and problem solving abilities
- Leadership abilities and the ability to guide and mentor junior staff
- Manage a team of up to 12 people (2 direct reports and an offshore 3 party team) within the Accounting Department.
- Ownership for accurate timely and well-supported financial statements with sufficient working papers to support the trial balance.
- Own the process to convert entity statements to consolidated financial statements that can be presented to interested internal and external constituents.
- Own the requirements to report to tax authorities in all tax jurisdictions and to calculate report and remit accurate taxes payable.
- Aid with the analysis and presentation of financial statements to interested readers.
- Support the Operational Accounting including Accounts Payable, Vendor Services, Claims, Chargebacks, etc. within the company.
- Ensure the balance sheet is fully supported and record-keeping is maintained in good order.
- Safeguarding of the company’s assets through compliance with internal controls, accounting standards and policies.
- Provide the VP Finance and President with detailed and rigorous analysis and support on initiatives as required.
Provide management and leadership to overall finance team and act as a leader to all areas of organization.
Work daily with direct reports with an emphasis on coaching, and supporting the team.
Turn talent into performance and rally team to a better future.
Financial statement reporting:
Oversee the following:
Financial statement preparations – analyze monthly variances to budget and last year comparatives.
Understand and approve any complex analysis and material journal entries
Ensure correctly presented entity-level monthly reporting including translation and consolidation of legal entities.
Review GL account reconciliations and provide guidance for specific sections of the handbook.
Coordinate with external tax consultants and stay apprised of relevant tax policy with the aim of developing future tax strategies.
Maintenance of contemporaneous transfer pricing documentation especially related to cross-border transactions.
Oversight of transactions involving duties paid on cross-border transactions.
Review & analysis:
Review operating results & highlight understand and explain key operating variances.
Understand the company’s cash position and provide insight for cash flow improvements
Optimize movements between currencies and implement hedging if appropriate
Analyze financial performance related to procure-to-pay cycle and prioritize areas of opportunity
Implement strong financial and operational controls required for accurate payment of invoices
Improve processes related to accounts payable and work with direct reports to implement systems to manage off-shore accounting team.
Enhance interaction with vendors relating to invoices, credit memos, and payment methods including cheques, wires and credit cards.
Identify, resolve and/or implement changes related to accounting and control issues inherent in business processes.
Work with the accounting teams and VP Finance to upgrade accounting systems with relation to integration with ERP and improvements in financial reporting
Ensure that accounting is performed in a manner consistent with the Canadian GAAP and continually investigates GAAP requirements to ensure compliance if/when standards change.
Support reporting required by creditors and investors including due diligence support and potential prospectus, or CIM documents.
A moderate to high degree of problem solving required. Challenges and decisions involve financial and analytical; plus customer, employee, department management, and senior management relationships.
Please forward a copy of your cover letter & resume clearly stating 'Corporate Controller' in the title.