PARTNER NAME : Save Cambodia’s Wildlife (SCW), Ratanakiri
LOCATION: Ban Lung, Ratanakiri Province, Cambodia
LENGTH OF PLACEMENT: 26 months
FUNDING ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS : Must be Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident
LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS: Fluent in English with a commitment to learn the Khmer language
ABOUT CUSO INTERNATIONAL
Cuso International is a non-profit development organization that works through volunteers. Each year, we send hundreds of global citizens to work on collaborative development projects in more than 20 countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Caribbean. We are one of North America’s leading international development organizations that works through volunteers.
ABOUT THE PARTNER ORGANIZATION
Save Cambodia’s Wildlife (SCW) is an NGO, established in 2000 with a sub-office opened in Ratanakiri in May 2011. The Rattanakiri office is running a 5 year project, “Poverty Alleviation through Improved Biodiversity Conservation” in Virakchey National Park which targets communities who live bordering the park. SCW’s goal is to alleviate poverty in rural areas by providing the tools and knowledge for Sustainable Livelihoods to these communities. The project focuses on the integration of community development to include income generation, natural resource management, water & sanitation and System of Rice Intensification (SRI).
THE VOLUNTEER’S ROLE
Overall placement purpose and specific volunteer placement objectives:
Strengthen capacity of SCW in Rattanakiri province in market development, marketing skills, business development and project management so that they can provide effective and responsive services.
- To strengthen capacity of staff and communities in project management, and networking.
- Enhance the development of value chains based on market assessments and value chain analysis of various sectors.
- Support marketing activities and business skills development, especially with business planning and developing micro business at community level.
- Provide training on small business development, marketing and project management
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Degree in Business, rural development or related field
- 3-5 years experience in small business or value chain development and market assessment
- Experience in rural/agrarian areas or with forestry communities developing non-timber products or micro enterprises or eco-tourism
- Project management experience, including monitoring and evaluation
- Training, mentoring & coaching skills in a culturally competent manner
- Working knowledge of business development in a ‘Developing Country’ context
TRAINING AND FINANCIAL SUPPORT
Our training and support package covers the costs of being an overseas volunteer, allowing you to enjoy a modest but healthy lifestyle while you volunteer abroad. This includes:
- Attendance at a Cuso International assessment day (candidates must cover the first $150 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation costs associated with pre-departure training.
- Return airfare and visa/permit (this includes a return flight in the case of a family emergency).
- Coverage for required vaccinations, medications and comprehensive health insurance.
- Accommodation while overseas.
- A modest living allowance, which varies depending on the country where you are placed
- Quarterly payments to support you in your placement
- Modest support for accompanying partners
Please apply online, quoting referral code CAM0519/0001/0001 and the name of the placement.