CSX Employee Reviews

good pay and benefits
Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee) –  Walbridge, OH18 June 2016
A lot of rules and responsibility. Safety is the most important thing. Management always puts pressure on when things aren't going as planned but otherwise helpful. Most co-workers are great to work with.Hardest part is being on call working alot of different jobs until you have been there a few years until you can hold a regular position, being on call 24/7/365. Pay and benefits.
good pay and benefits
conductor / locomotive engineer (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH6 June 2016
Working for CSX was a job that I liked. However it is a job that when working for this company you do not see a lot of time at home. You will miss a lot of holidays with family, school events for your kids and things like that. Otherwise the job was great. The pay was good and the company overall was pretty good to work for. If you are a family man I would suggest a different job if it bothers you being away from family.It is more suited for a single person with no ties.
Pros
good pay and benefits.
Cons
never home
good place to work
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VA7 June 2016
was on call 24/7 i enjoyed getting called for work and once getting there i would get all the necessary paper work that was needed to perform the task that I was ask to perform.once this was done I would then prepare to go to the Train and assume responsibility of my train.Me and my crew would then try and perform our duties as safe and proficient as we could
Pros
bonuses
Cons
dont remember any.
Very demanding hard to balance work and personal life.
Engineering Manager (Roadmaster in Training) (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TN21 July 2016
There is never a dull moment on the railroad. Most of the time you work long hours in the extreme conditions of the weather. This job is very demanding because it requires you to be on call 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
Great job, and benefits. Great pay and benefits
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FL31 August 2016
A Great place for Employment. Satisfyingly pleasing, and Rewarding.A To company with room to Advance. Meet alot of interesting people, with diverse backgrounds.
Pros
Working outdoors
Cons
Working outdoors
Serious Work
Frieght Train Conductor (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD10 November 2016
Safety is the number one goal. To move products across the country take a lot of people that are dedicated to getting a job done in the safest manner.
Csx
Purchasing Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL31 January 2017
Strong Union environment and many day to day obstacles. Great company to retire from for benefits and rail road retirement benefits.
Good Pay and Benefits with bad work/life balance
Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KY10 May 2016
A typical day for me is taking a train from Louisville to Cincinnati, resting at a hotel, then bringing a train back. I learned that enjoy being a locomotive engineer. Local management seems to be fair and typically care about their employees, upper management not so much. My co-workers are a great bunch that I enjoy to be around. The hardest part of the and really the only thing I don't like about it is the lack of schedule and lack of sleep. Always being on call and never knowing when you're going to work, day or night, any hour. The most enjoyable part of the job is the travel, operating locomotives, and the comeradere you develop with co workers.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
bad work/life balance with the lack of a schedule
nice workplace, friendly people
driver for PTI (Former Employee) –  Martin, KY26 September 2016
I would go to Erwin TN, and pick up a crew take them all the way back to Martin ky. I learnt a lot about trains, the crew members was always so friendly.
Learning experience
Intermodal Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Bedford Park, IL18 May 2016
Responsible for Troubleshooting brakes, brake beams, control rods, brake shoes and making sure piston travels are correct so that the cars on the train carrying supplies can leave out of the terminal 100% inspected and completed by making the proper adjustments to ensure our customer products are being properly cared for.
No day was ever the same and there was always something new to learn
Service Desk Specialist (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL20 April 2016
While working at the data center at CSX I learned numerous helpful thing which enriched my knowledge of technology. I learned how to troubleshoot and deploy hardware and software while maintaining good customer relations. The environment was enjoyable and I even got to practice using my network skills aiding users and entire sites that were down
Pros
learning, challenges, training
Cons
structure changes
Java Developer
Java Developer (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL5 October 2016
Worked as Java Developer , very good place to work on Java web technologies.

No pressure environment.

Good working environment.
Productive and Enjoyed working at CSX
Tableau Developer (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL13 June 2016
a great honor to work at CSX. Enjoyed working with different teams, applications and with business. I really appreciate that the company allows flexibility in your workday. My co-workers are easy to work with, and I feel supported by team leads.
same
Operations Management (Current Employee) –  Huntington, WV5 September 2016
This is the same job, the railroad is the railroad and a service industry, communication is imperative and important. There needs to be a way to do this better.
I loved my job...it was the best job on the railroad and the pay was exceptional
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tarrant, AL28 October 2016
My job title at CSX Transportation was Clerk. ..I had my own vehicle and I answered calls from the YardMasters to swap out crews or to go pick up crews off of train...that's what my job entailed 90% of the time and the other 10% was clerical work. I maintained the Crew Room Train printers...delivering orders to crews and running Rosters to fill jobs for next shift. I never knew if I was going to work 8 hrs or 16 hrs. ..If they told me to stay then I had to stay and that was one of the down sides to the job. My job terms were different than the Conductor's and Engineer's...they are under a totally different agreement and have to deal with so much more than the Clerk's. CSX bought out the clerk jobs so I was out of a job that I thought I would retire from...no one expected it or seen it coming and I feel like the company could have done things different! I'm a hard worker and a loyal employee...the experience just made me want to rise above and to be the best that I can be for the next career that I choose to embark on!
Pros
The pay was exceptional and the job itself was laid back and so unstressfull
Cons
Back to back 16hr shifts and never knowing if you were going to have a job
• Over 8 years of IT experience in the areas of Object Oriented Analysis, Design, Development, Testing, Deployment.Expertise in Server side developmen
Java/J2EE Developer (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL2 May 2016
Proficient in developing advanced web-based applications design and development using Java, J2EE, Servlets, JSP, JSTL,Full stack,Struts, Spring, Hibernate, ANT, Eclipse, XML, XSLT, JDBC, WSAD and Databases.
Manager of Car and Locomotive Shop
Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GA14 April 2016
Review previous shift turnover. Delegate repair work to union employees. Safety job briefing at the beginning of the shift. Maintain yard checks throughout the shift and analyze work throughout rail yard. Correct deficiencies on various yard projects throughout the shift
Pros
Great Benefits andSafe Environment
Cons
Company cut backs and sparatic furloughs
okay job
Field Clerk (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NC11 July 2016
The benefits are good but you are always having to think if you are going to have a job the next day because of cuts that corporate was pushing.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Corporate Management is always wanting to cut off jobs
challenging, self gradification and rewarding
Train Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL14 April 2016
Very exciting career choice. I was fortunate to have worked in a high
energy high stressful environment and succeed until retirement. I
worked for CSX 39 1/2 years and it has afforded me and my wife of
42 years a good life.
Pros
income, professional envirement, helping move Americas freight
Cons
working nights, weekends and holidays
Fun and productive work place.
Service Desk Specialist (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL21 July 2016
Awesome place to work for.
All the full time agents are very knowledgable and helpful.

This place is great with tons of laid back time, especially the weekend.

2.8