CSX Employee Reviews

Progressive Thinking
Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 11, 2016
CSX believes in employee development and seek opportunities to promote within.

The feeling of working with positive, innovative team members and being included as part of the team, made the job worth while.
Railroad life
Freight Conductor (Former Employee) –  Russell, KYMarch 14, 2016
on call 24/7. work was easy. who wouldn't love riding in the cab of a locomotive? I did. very good potential for great money but required overnight stays away from home.
Pros
atmosphere
Cons
on-call
Excellent Benefits
Yard Clerk/ Messenger (Current Employee) –  Clifton Forge, VAOctober 23, 2015
CSX provides excellent company benefits. Though it is a company that does not provide a lot of family time for it's employees. Work hours are non-conventional. And time off is hard to come by for some employees.

Retirement benefits are excellent, as well as health benefits.
Pros
Pay and other benefits
Cons
Work versus Home time not ideal for some families
How tomorrow moves
Service Center Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 18, 2015
Highly profitable company. Always looking for avenues to extend their business. The railroad continues to move, there is never a boring moment. Safety is number one in office and field environment. We are the number one, class one railroad two years straight.
Pros
Room for advancement. Encourage family equality.
Cons
Always on call 24 hours 7 days a week.
Traveling Chef Position
Banquet Chef (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 20, 2015
One of the most unique jobs I have ever held. If it was a more stable work schedule I would still be employed. Pay was great and comparable to the amount of work associated with the position. Really great to get to see parts of the food industry that most will never get to see. Management was in the midst of change when I left this position.
no set schedule good pay and benifits
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 28, 2015
Don't expect to have a regular work schedule. you might work in the yard one week building trains and switching freight cars. with "regular work schedule", i.e. work five days with two off normally an 8 hour shift never more than 12 though.(federal law and all) and the next week working the road, i.e. taking a train from one rail yard to the next sometimes gone for a day or two.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
no set schedule
Decent job pay and benefits
conductor (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 11, 2016
A good company to work for but there is no job security. Working on call is difficult when it comes to planning your life. Management is helpful at times.
Pros
Pay and benfits
Cons
Hard to plan anything, no schedule
fun place to work
CSX/ AJRS head supervisor/ manager (Current Employee) –  Jessup, MDMay 16, 2016
Very productive, must be able to work long hours and be able to handle any stress issues that occur. You will get your hands dirty.
nuihbiosrf
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 28, 2015
great job if your single and have no family. Your on call 24/7 and you better believe they will always call you. You get 8 hours of rest after getting off work and will be right back at work after that. the money is amazing as so is the benefits.
Pros
Good Money and benefits
Cons
No Social or home life, Constantly at work. Management is always out to get you in trouble to fill they're qoutas
Rail road
Roadway Equipment Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 4, 2015
Typical seniority based union job. Limited ability for advancement. Rolling yearly lay offs. small amount of vacation available, no sick time allowed. encouraged to work sick, penalized if you do not.
Pros
Tools, and safety supplies provided
Cons
health care cost, rolling lay offs
GREAT PLACE TO ADVANCE
SUPPORT CLERK (Former Employee) –  Martin, KYDecember 29, 2015
GREAT PLACE TO WORK AND WOULD LIKED TO HAVE ADVANCED FURTHER. A TYPICAL DAY AT WORK STARTED AT 8:00 AND FINISHED AT 4:00. WORKED WITH A LOT OF GREAT PEOPLE.
Pros
GREAT PLACE TO WORK
Cons
GOOD RETIREMENT, HEALTHCARE
Transportation industry leading company
Director (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 14, 2015
Leader in the transportation industry. 200 year old industry with some cultural, ambiguity and political challenges. Decent amount of diversity in some areas but opportunities to do more. Company leadership driven to be productive.
Pros
diversity of organization
Cons
work life balance challenges
Railroad work can be exciting
(FMLA) Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 3, 2016
I truly enjoyed my career working at CSX. It was the best job I've ever had. I enjoyed working with a diverse group. I enjoyed all the challenges it brought me.
loved it
Journeyman Machinist (Current Employee) –  Corbin, KYMarch 14, 2016
great retirement, other employee's were exceptional people, entry level has a lot of furloughs, out side of that it was a great job, would do again.
good people to work with
Electrician (Current Employee) –  Corbin, KYNovember 12, 2015
the company was all about the numbers .no respect for employees tried to fire people as soon as they were hired.cut most of the weekend jobs so most people were off during the week
Pros
good pay
Cons
off days had to work most holidays iff you wanted to or not
Fun Work Place
Software Eng. Intern (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville,FLSeptember 6, 2015
I worked as a Software Developer Intern at CSX Transportation(Operations Research).

I used to have scrum meeting at 9:00 am almost everyday with my team and start work after that.I had a really helpful mentors who guided me whenever I had problems with the code or logic building.My manager was encouraging in a sense that he always gave me feedbacks and the ways I could improve in industry.

The most enjoyable part was when I was working in the Yard Simulation Project.I got a chance to visit one of the Yards of CSX in Georgia and see how complex process it was to optimize the train operations.Also I loved developing web applications for Train Design and Optimization.

I learned that perseverance is important and team work means a lot.Also, respect to coworkers counts.
got to be a shark.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chapmanville, WVMarch 30, 2016
this particular skill set is just not in my vocabulary. This job requires a lot of long days with no pay at all, unless you sell a car.
Long hours away from home but nice not having to be told what to do everyday.
Freight Conductor (Current Employee) –  Garrett, INOctober 30, 2015
Good work with great benefits. Having to be away from home a lot is difficult. Not having a boss constantly over your shoulder is nice though. There is room for advancement but relocation is necessary.
Priceless
Conductor/Engineer (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INJanuary 24, 2016
I loved working in the construction industry. I worked as a laborer/carpenter and an equipment operator. we roofed and framed mostly and we had a great crew.
CSX Work Summary
Senior Java/J2EE Developer (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 12, 2016
I have learnt Oracle after coming to CSX only. My employer is NTTData Inc. I work for CSX as a contractor.

Co workers are really good.