CSX

CSX Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good Over all
Conductor (Former Employee), Decatur ILMarch 7, 2015
Pros: money
Cons: noe
It is a great place over all. The only bad thing is they tend to over hire sometimes and that leads to being layed off. Just go by the rules and dont cut corners.
great place to work
Locomotive Engineer / Freight Conductor (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAMarch 2, 2015
Pros: different work environment everyday.
Cons: long hours
love working at csx-transportation the job changed everyday. i loved working out doors in all kinds of weather,loved running the trains and going to different parts of the country.
Culture where people make the difference
Talent Acquisition Talent Advisor (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLFebruary 26, 2015
CSX has improved the culture significantly during the time I've been here (21 years). I appreciate working in an environment where I feel valued.
Great place to work.
Lead Technician (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: good working conditions. great employees to work for. recognition for a job well done.
Cons: remote communications
8 to 10 hours a day to include after hour response to remote user. Accepted, troubleshot and resolved an average of 15 tickets and at least 3 projects per day. Learned how to install, upgrade hardware and software. Became ITIL certified, learned how to use Active Directory and how to troubleshoot the network connectivity issues. CSX management went out of their way to ensure that we technicians had the full corporation of all CSX employees when it came to resolving PC issues. I was invited to join all inclusion Groups within the company and was always recognized for my Military Service during the annual Military Appreciation Day and Parade. I was rewarded with a monetary bonus for a job well done on many occasions. The coworkers at SouthPoint are super techs, I was not to fond of the other tech work ethics at the other locations, but had to fill in to help them from failure on resolving tickets and projects. The hardest part of the job was not being able to connect with the Remote users due to communications issues. My most enjoyable part of my job was how I was treated by all the CSX VIPs, managers and clerks.
Very demanding
Conductor (Former Employee), Cumberland, MDFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: great pay and benefits
Cons: horrible work/life balance, managers are overly strict
This job will take everything you have, plus a lot more. The work/life balance is non-existent. You are on call at all times.

Beyond that, the benefits cannot be beat. If you are able to do this job, you will reap a lot of rewards.

Management can be too strict at times. There is a culture of not caring about life outside of work. When it is time to go to work, there are no excuses.
Great pay but its tough life to live
Conductor (Former Employee), MAFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: great pay, exciting job
Cons: no personal life, can be called to work anytime
A great paying job that is fin at times. Has great challenges that never seem to go away. You will need to learn a lot and practice safety in everything that you do day in and day out. It is really tough to have a personal life and work the railroad at the same time, be sure that this job is for you before you take it.
Fast paced working enviroment.
Train Dispatcher (Former Employee), Calumet City, ILFebruary 5, 2015
A normal day at work consist of getting to work, at least 15-30 min early to receive an in depth dispatcher turnover. Becoming aware of the locations and disposition of each and every train and train crew on my territory. One of the major qualities/skills I learned to hone was the ability to multi-task and work under pressure. My co-workers, the way we worked, or my motto was the key to continuous movement of trains was safety and communication. If anything deviated from our original plan, say a train has engine failure or inadequate power, we would have a contingency plan to keep rail traffic moving. Roughly, the hardest part of the job was adverse weather snow, ice, flash floods, wash outs. The most rewarding part of the job is being able to accomplish the daily objectives given to me by my Chief Dispatchers and successfully move rail traffic through the Chicago rail corridor.
If you dont mind getting after it.
Freight Conductor (Current Employee), Richmond, VAJanuary 29, 2015
Good pay that will support you and your family insurance is great. Depending on your craft your family time may be short at times, but it evens out.
Treats employees well, but you never know if you might lose your job
Manager (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLJanuary 28, 2015
Pros: pay and benefits
Cons: uncertain job security, difficulty in advancing within, corporate politics affect their decisions
CSX treats their employees well, pays well and spends a lot of time on development.

Advancement is not easy within the company. Also, being a publicly held company there are lay-offs when business is down and you never know if you might be laid off. I unexpectedly lost my job after they putting me through a special one-year mentorship program established for high-performing employees. To get accepted I had to apply, answer essay questions, get 2 letters of recommendation and pass a panel interview. They choose only 15 employees out of 3,000 employees for these special programs. Then a few months after graduate the program, reaching all my goals, they eliminate my job.
Trainmaster (Former Employee), Atlanta DivisionJanuary 27, 2015
Awful work and life balance in the field/transportation which is only slightly acceptable due to great pay, but that feeling quickly disappears and you simply hope they relocate you to another location and increase your pay before you get tired of 24/7 on call or 10+ days on 2 off,
CSX Life
Imaging Analyst & Contract Research, CSX (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: casual days, allowed to manage your work without contraints of micro management.
Cons: outdated applications, non integrated systems.
A typical workday at CSX Properties Group requires the use of many technical applications to aide in decision making. This includes geo-spatial mapping tools, image storage systems, reports, and contract databases. I learned to utilize data across many platforms to achieve a dynamic result. Management offers guidance in effectively analyzing researched information and presenting results to the initial requestor. Both employee and manager are mutually held accountable for planning, implementing and reporting Annual Goals. The hardest part of the job was locating uncaptured stored records and matching with data from source material. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the team to improve processes to streamline production of work.
Liked working For CSX
Locomotive engineer (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDJanuary 20, 2015
I was I didn't decide to go to work for The new company, CSX was always good to there employees and Stressed safty and rule compliance.
Safety is a way of life
Process Improvement Manager (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: everything!
Cons: possible lay-off
We do not walk and talk on our phones and we back into ALL parking spaces. We also ALWAYS use hand rails and wear all personal protective gear within 25 feet of trains and the rail.
Ok
Freight Conductor (Current Employee), Nashville, TNJanuary 2, 2015
Crazy hours and poor management. They preach safety only when it benefits them
Don't believe the hype
Mgmt Employee in Jacksonville, FL (Current Employee), JacksonvilleDecember 10, 2014
Pros: health & wellness, flexible schedule depending on what job/dept you are on
Cons: inconsistent policies, non-transparent
Too many bureaucracies and politics that goes on that makes it harder to focus on my job. There's a lot of nepotism and management does not care about you. There's too many silos, union vs. management, and management vs. management. Employees are harassed for reporting injuries. discrimination does exist. promotions - its about who you know and not about your education/experience. some employees shouldn't be in these senior level positions. company does not stand behind their core values.
awsome job
Conductor (Former Employee), Greenwood, SCDecember 6, 2014
this was one of my favorite jobs. there was a lot of training and a lot of work outside. the biggest draw back was being laid off all the time.
Good people
Freight Conductor (Former Employee), Savannah, GADecember 3, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: union
the culture is typical union. the old timers don't have any respect for the new comers cause they think it will take money out of their pockets.....oh..wait...it does. Then..just like a union..when they lay off 600 people its the guys with the least seniority not necessarily the slackers that have sat in the pool and drawn a check for nothing for the last 10 years. but if your in the pool then MAN,,, this is a GREAT job.
nice place to work
Freight Conductor (Current Employee), Augusta, GANovember 26, 2014
typical day starts with reading dispatcher messages, then a safety briefing is hedl to make sure eveyone full understands job. after that get on the train and go to your destination. unless switching cars in a yard then you just follow the switchlist
CSX ok to work for management not very much at certain locations
Utility Worker (Current Employee), Avon INNovember 23, 2014
CSX is a decent company, but very political and management at the location I worked at liked to play games.
Great learning oportunities & evolving job duties
Market Strategy and Development Analyst (Current Employee), JacksonvilleNovember 13, 2014
Pros: being in the hq is great for visability & networking
Cons: downtown location = expensive parking & long commutes
This group is always changing and our team does something new every day which allows for development and networking. The Market Strategy team deals with many groups within and without side of CSX. Travel, training, reporting, and making decisions with data are just a few of the things this group does for CSX.
Headquarters