CSX Employee Reviews

Friendly, happy, busy work environment
Support Clerk (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NY3 March 2017
Collecting payroll sheets and inputting them in the system. Responding to emails, filing, paying bills, filing printers with paper and ink, distribution of mail and UPS and FEDEX, Taking inventory, ordering office supplies and PPE, stocking supplies for the T&E employees. Janitor duties. Driving Crews to their destination and back in a safe and timely manner. Worked with Management on a day to day basis.
Machinist
Machinist (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OH27 February 2017
Great benefits and overall enjoyable place to work with co-workers to complete all discrepancies that have been noted per locomotive that comes into the service center.
CSX is in the process of a restructuring
Manager Information Technology (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL26 February 2017
The rating I provided is based on my current experience at CSX, however, the expected changes to the CEO and BOD may change the CSX culture.
CSX is currently a service oriented company who cares for their employees.
CSX believes in a work life balance
Pros
Great pay, benefits, cares about their employees
Cons
Changes in leadership
Great Place to work
Director of Finance, Mechanical Finance (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL26 February 2017
Plenty of challenging projects and tons of smart people to tackle them. Company is respectful of work/life balance and will invest in education.
Pros
Learning Environment
Rewarding place to work.
Senior Auditor (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL23 February 2017
CSX is a rewarding place to work and know that you are providing a valuable service to keep the US economy moving. The Internal Audit group is a great place to gain experience working on cross-functional teams that will provide exposure to the whole organization.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Company is in an expense cutting phase
military/railroad
Sevice center and car dept. foreman (Current Employee) –  Riverdale, IL23 February 2017
Retired from the U.S. Army in 1995 where I ran a service and recovery operation and was in charge of all fab work to include welding, machinist work, glass cutting and replacement, canvas repair. Worked for Csx as a Carman for 13 years in Atlanta Ga. before I became a manager. I was assigned to Birmingham Al. as a general foreman where I worked for 20 months till I was assigned to the Chicago Division in Riveradle Ill. on the Locomotive side June of 2013 to the present. I am in charge of the service center and the locomotive shop plus line of road and the car shop and car department yards. I am responsible for around 30 employee and have no injuries on my watch.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Lazy people.
Very good company to work for,
Administrative Assistant/Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL23 February 2017
There are many jobs in the clerkical field and all of them are just as important as the other one. I worked for CSX for 33 years and enjoyed most of my work while out in the field and in the offices in Jacksonville, Florida.

Good people and a good union.
Pros
Metting new peiople fro different areas of the USA
Cons
3rd shift.
Csx
Intermodal Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Winter Haven, FL22 February 2017
Good company, awesome benefits, hard to lead a family life. Many changes occurring system wide due to technology forcing a loss of jobs.
Bad Life Style
Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OH22 February 2017
Not a good life style. You will have a nonexistent social and family life. Management is inexperienced in the field and clueless to daily operations
Pros
Retirement, health care
Cons
No family life, 60+ hours.
Challenging and high pressure work environment
Trainmaster - (Terminal Manager) (Current Employee) –  United States21 February 2017
CSX is great at developing young managers and leaders. Work life balance and work location could vary depending your direct supervisor.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Work Life
Freight Conductor (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NY20 February 2017
Great job but the company didn't have enough money to keep me on. I learned how to be member of a team. On a typical day, I had to get my paperwork ready for my travels on the train. The paperwork included all the hazardous materials that the train is hauling. I maintained communication to the dispatchers along my travels on the train. When I get to the different CSX yards, I speek to the yardmaster's and trainmaster's from that yard to find out what track that they want their cars at.
Csx Intermodal
ISW (Former Employee) –  Atlanta ga15 February 2017
Constant walking Locking and unlocking train for freight Departure and arrival .. Driving road hossler to different areas , also working in different types of weather. At times required to work later hours preform different task
Positive Work Environment
Administrative Assistant / Special Projects (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL15 February 2017
I was a Contract Employee working as an Administrative Assistant to one of the Vice Presidents of Purchasing and Materials. A typical day would start with getting any special duties from my direct report and acting accordingly. I would schedule all of her travel arrangements, meeting, lunches, etc. Assist the other workers within my area as needed. I was responsible to maintain and organize contracts with vendors for the railroad. I assisted with the purchasing of ice and salt for the entire railroad and ensuring the products were received as required by CSX. I participated with cost saving projects and help implement any changes required. I took minutes during various staff and vendor meeting and published them to the appropriate staff. The work place culture was very professional and safety oriented. The time I spent at CSX I was very enjoyable, the work was challenging and I am grateful for the opportunity to have been part of the team.
Pros
Challenging, focus oriented, saftey concious.
Cons
Contract employee
a different kind of lifestyle
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TN10 February 2017
at csx you are required to be on call 27/7, work many different jobs, and dont know if you will be laid off from week to week,but pay is great and they offer the best insurance i have ever had.
Pros
great pay, and insurance
Cons
on call, no job security
Ever evolving
Freight Conductor (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NY8 February 2017
There is continued change. Seniority fluctuates. Very difficult to have a structured family life. Great pay and benefits. A typical yard day is from 8 to 12 hrs long. Switching cars and building outbound trains.
Hard work and dedication
Assistant Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, AL6 February 2017
A great place to work. Benefits are second to none. A company where you can stay 30 years and be proud to work for. Great place if you like to live in different locations.
CSX Rail Road
Conductor (Former Employee) –  east 152, collenwood yard6 February 2017
This carrer allowed me to grow as a person and as a profectional it was gratifying knowing i help move the country and entrusted with such a large task
Pros
travle, claims, and doing something new each day
Cons
working in all seasions rain sleet or snow at all kinds of hours
Great job, with no job security
Engineering- Machine/Vehicle Operator, Foreman (Current Employee) –  Livonia, MI2 February 2017
Great job with great pay, but absolutely no security. Management could not care less about our job and the company constantly cut or relocated jobs for no reason. The company always preached safety but would expect you to break rules in order to get the job done faster.
Pros
coworkers, different job sites, pay, pension
Cons
healthcare, management, job security
Purchasing Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL31 January 2017
Strong Union environment and many day to day obstacles. Great company to retire from for benefits and rail road retirement benefits.
Great
System Director Network Modeling & Analytics (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL31 January 2017
● Responsible for knowing and complying with yard and road characteristics of qualified territory including , local and line of road customers
● Safely performed engineering duties by operating OTE to inspect, repair or replace track when needed
● Played a role in rehabbing 4.6 miles of main line in June 1992 while mitigating customer impact.
● Engaged customers on a daily basis by providing switching services as requested

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CSX. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9