CSX Employee Reviews

Csx
Purchasing Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL31 January 2017
Strong Union environment and many day to day obstacles. Great company to retire from for benefits and rail road retirement benefits.
Great
System Director Network Modeling & Analytics (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL31 January 2017
● Responsible for knowing and complying with yard and road characteristics of qualified territory including , local and line of road customers
● Safely performed engineering duties by operating OTE to inspect, repair or replace track when needed
● Played a role in rehabbing 4.6 miles of main line in June 1992 while mitigating customer impact.
● Engaged customers on a daily basis by providing switching services as requested
Great job, Great Co-workers
Carman-Welder (Current Employee) –  Avon, IN27 January 2017
Great job, great co-workers but a big turn around in management. Hard to get used to a good boss before they transfer or leave the company.
Pros
Great Job
Cons
New Management
Csx
Intermodal Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GA26 January 2017
Work day may consist of any where from 8 to 16 hour workdays. I learned a great deal of loading procedures and operating front loaders for containers. Management was ok but only worried about the job and not the employees. The hardest part of the job was the long hours that was demanding and the most enjoyable part was working with others to accomplish the goals for the day.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Productive, great place to work and love working outdoors and with others to get the job done.
Conductor/Remote control operator (Former Employee) –  Willard, OH25 January 2017
Switching out freight cars to build outgoing trains
Learned the importance of safety and working as a team
Hardest thing to deal with was the weather and being outside in all the elements.
Management is very strict on how the job has to be done.
Even though being outside in rain or shine I enjoyed doing it.
A tough, stressful occupation, with choice of family life, or money
Locomotive Engineer/Conductor (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GA24 January 2017
Great benefits, good retirement. Can be seriously dangerous if you arent alert and safety conscious. A lot of nepotism among higher management. An insurance policy known as "run-off " insurance is a must. Everyone that works as union labor has been run-off at least once. Many rules are arbitrary and pointless. Many managers are nothing more than rule enforcing evaluators with no job experience. A lot of managers have a quota of discipline. In Jacksonville Division, a manager was required to have 60 test failures per month. Most resulting in days off without pay. The other engineers and conductors were great comrades and friends, trying to do the job safely and remain injury free. All while locked in an adversarial relation with managers who were expected and pressured to fire them. Money was good. Stress terrible.
Pros
Benefits excellent, money very good.
Cons
Days long and tiring.
Productive, and rewarding
Freight Car inspector, repairman (Former Employee) –  Casky, KY16 January 2017
Csx is a very rewarding company to work for as a carman. There is routine but something different every day. Hard work, but you are rewarded for it. Great benefits, medical, retirement, holidays etc.
Pros
knowledgeable seniority, good training.
Cons
periodic furloughs
Very rewarding job
Conductor (Former Employee) –  New Castle, PA20 December 2016
This job is very rewarding. Each day you go in, you're assigned a route for the day, or days. Typically you stay in a hotel for the night of your trip, or at least in my experience as a conductor. They pay is very well for not having a college degree. Although you are not guaranteed holidays or weekends, that's told upon interview. You're on a 24/7 call schedule, with rotating guaranteed off days. I would say the hardest part of this job is that there is a possibility of missing important events with family and friends. The most enjoyable part this job is being able to travel, and support yourself and family very well financially. Overall, this is a great trade to get into.
High stress, no work-life balance and layoffs galore
Management Employee (HQ Office) (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL15 December 2016
CSX is not what it used to be. The environment is tense and employees are on edge. More than 4,500 people have been furloughed or laid off over the last 18 months or so. Work-life balance is non-existent and you are expected to be available 24/7. There is no security at the company and I would strongly urge anyone interested in this company to think twice before joining. The pay is good, but definitely not worth all the stress and headache. The company is very military-style culturally and new ideas and ways of thinking are not tolerated. The mission statement says the company is "progressive" but it is far from that.

If you enjoy being micro-managed or don't have a family, friends or hobbies - then this is the company for you.
Pros
Good compensation
Cons
Old-school mentality, no work-life balance
Railroad life
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MI20 November 2016
This is a great job for the individual who never wants a wife or a family. Once hired you will be expected to work on your rest the rest of your life, spending more time in motels than your own bed.
Pros
Wages and healthcare
Cons
Never home for very long.
Professional Transportation
Trainmaster (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GA15 November 2016
Delivery of freight based on customer satisfaction is usually fact based, however the hours are long and the schedule drastically changes without much of a warning. More time is spent at work than home by far.
Pros
Excellent benifits and retirment plan
Cons
No quality of life outside of work
Serious Work
Frieght Train Conductor (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD10 November 2016
Safety is the number one goal. To move products across the country take a lot of people that are dedicated to getting a job done in the safest manner.
Life Style
Railroad freight Conductor and Engineer (Current Employee) –  Hinton, WV8 November 2016
Quality of life is Questionable. Hire you to fire you. Spend more time in a hotel than at home. Great benefits, though. Labor contracts are not worth the paper they are written on. Pay averages out to about $12 per hour.
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
Its not just a job. It`s a life style
Hard work decent people & fair management
Jockey / Yard Driver (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OH3 November 2016
Coming in the door it could be a lot to learn and very hard work. This job is for people who are ok with working outside. It didn't take long for me to work my way up to a jockey driver considering i have my CDL and knew a little about the container business. Management is very fair to those that come to work and not to play around. The hardest part of the job is being the ground man & coming in the door that will be your first position. The most enjoyable part about the job is working from the jockey truck. You still have to work hard & be productive but talking to co workers over the radio makes time go by or if you're the quiet type you can just stay to your self
I loved my job...it was the best job on the railroad and the pay was exceptional
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tarrant, AL28 October 2016
My job title at CSX Transportation was Clerk. ..I had my own vehicle and I answered calls from the YardMasters to swap out crews or to go pick up crews off of train...that's what my job entailed 90% of the time and the other 10% was clerical work. I maintained the Crew Room Train printers...delivering orders to crews and running Rosters to fill jobs for next shift. I never knew if I was going to work 8 hrs or 16 hrs. ..If they told me to stay then I had to stay and that was one of the down sides to the job. My job terms were different than the Conductor's and Engineer's...they are under a totally different agreement and have to deal with so much more than the Clerk's. CSX bought out the clerk jobs so I was out of a job that I thought I would retire from...no one expected it or seen it coming and I feel like the company could have done things different! I'm a hard worker and a loyal employee...the experience just made me want to rise above and to be the best that I can be for the next career that I choose to embark on!
Pros
The pay was exceptional and the job itself was laid back and so unstressfull
Cons
Back to back 16hr shifts and never knowing if you were going to have a job
Opinion
Trainmaster (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VA26 October 2016
Overseeing the development of conductors and engineers on a daily basis and making sure customers are serviced in a safe and timely manner.

Typical day is making sure crews have all equipment needed to do their jobs safely and efficiently.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Exhilarating work with great benefits. Home time/family time greatly sacrificed however.
Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TN19 October 2016
Great experience!!! Job requires total dedication to task at hand to ensure safe operations.... The most rough cut, detail oriented, innovative group of individuals you'd ever meet.
Fast pace
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Cumberland, MD11 October 2016
Fast pace have to follow rules and understand rule books learn hundreds miles rail road name of signals mileposts sidings be able to work under pressure stay away from family for days on end work full 12 hrs shifts in all weather work holidays
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Long hrs days in hotels
Interesting
DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL7 October 2016
I always enjoyed working with the people at CSX. They made working for them very easy. I always got my assignments done and complete in a timely manner. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with all of the other drivers. I could not drive until I heard from the other drivers. This made my Job a little complicated but for the most part the job itself was very rewarding and I dealt with very good and motivated people.
Pros
great people
Cons
short breaks
Very good company to work for
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NC5 October 2016
Everyone cared about your job as well as their own.

Wanted you to succeed and the company as a whole.

Very good,clean work environment - up-to-date equipment.

Became close friends with many girls I worked with.

Many of the gentlemen treated women fairly and with courtesy.
Pros
Excellent gifts and benefits.
Cons
Too many women, lots of back-biting

2.9