CSX

CSX Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Typical Day At Work
Conductor (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAFebruary 20, 2013
Pros: free csx merchandise
Cons: inconsistent with pay
1A typical day at work consists of getting a 2hr call time before having to report to a train.Then I am giving my train orders for that day to take the train from point A to point B. A days work can last between 8-14hrs. While being at CSX I have acquired knowledge on how to drive a train and building a train. While on duty you work with one other co-worker. The hardest part of the job is always being on call 24hr after service hours are up. The most enjoyable part of this job is being able to drive a 15 thousand ton machine.
I Felt Challenged
Manager PTC Support (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLJuly 31, 2013
Pros: a solid company to work for.
Cons: no work/life balance for field officers
I have been an officer in the corporation for the last 13 years. One of the great things about CSX is it allows its managers to take control and exercise ownership of processes. This is especially true in field operations. The company's first core value is, " It starts with the customer."
In order to provide world class customer service means someone has to be responsible. There is a great deal of accountability at CSX. There is no such thing as failure but opportunities to improve
Productive and safety concious workplace.
Freight Conductor (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: safety lunches, bonuses, salary, benefits and culture.
Cons: long days and the danger associated with the job.
A typical day starts off with the gathering of train orders, attending/holding a briefing and out to your train or yard job (bowl, hump or industry) work your shift, print out job ticket and off to the house or hotel if you are on the mainline.

Management can be ok at times, but if you come in and do your job you will no real issues.

Co-workers are friendly and down to earth.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the co-workers.
Working for a railroad is definately a unique experience
locomotive engineer (Current Employee), Richmond, Va.July 19, 2015
Pros: senority, the people, and the benefits
Cons: being on call 24/7
CSX is a great company to work for. The opportunities the company provides are up to the individual to take advantage of. It takes a unique person to work for a railroad, dealing with being on call 24/7 as well as working in all types of weather, makes the job challenging. I would say the most enjoyable part of the job is the people you work with. even though you basically do the same thing everyday the people make it interesting and fun.
Co workers are great but management is horrible!
Conductor (Current Employee), Garrett, INNovember 1, 2015
Pros: benefits and co workers
Cons: hours and management
People are great, engineers and conductors, management is archaic
with a us against them attitude. That the individual has nothing of value to add. Safety isn't the main focus, like the company is touting in the adds, moving freight is the only thing that matters. pay is ok and benefits are above average only due to union agreements. If you like long hours terrible working conditions and management that will not appreciate you this is a great place to work!!
Wonderful Company
Service Desk Technician (Current Employee), JacksonvilleAugust 16, 2015
Pros: benefits, flexible
Cons: lack of communcation
CSX technology is an absolutely wonderful place to work. They are very understanding and will do everything possible to accommodate you and your needs. The only downside would be that there isnt much communication unless your part of a specific circle of management or upper management. Certain things that pertain to everyone should be shared with those that the information would impact. Other than that one flaw CSX technology is a wonderful place to work at.
Large scale locomotive shop
LOCOMOTIVE ELECTRICAN (Former Employee), Corbin, KYNovember 30, 2015
Pros: All 8 hours were paid
Cons: Only had 1 10 minute break and a 20 minute lunch for your whole shift
Was a great job, cutting edge of technology, safety was first, good co-workers, and good benefits. Worked as a journeyman electrician for 15 1/2 on 3rd shift injury free my whole career. Troubleshooting broken down locomotives with schematic prints and multi-meter and electrical tools was my primary job. After repairs were made engine was taken outside and qualified and sent to the ready field for service.
Good pay, terrible environment
Freight Conductor (Current Employee), Buffalo, NYFebruary 8, 2013
CSX is a great place to work if you are in any other department besides transportation, the people who actually move the freight. This department is 100% unionized and every craft has a different union, which are constantly at odds with management. The result is a terribly dysfunctional transportation system with multiple delays, outdated technology, unsafe working conditions, and an environment of fear and intimidation with no job security. If you work for csx, stay out of transportation.
Work with alot of wonderful people and travel everyday.
Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee), Willard, OHMarch 11, 2015
Pros: great benefits and pay.
Cons: away from family and miss alot of events with the family. not a family oriented company.
CSX is not a family oriented place to work. I have been there 15 years and alot has changed. You work everyday, even when you are sick as a dog. The only thing that keeps a person going is the great people we work with. The work we do takes a toll on our health daily. Our jobs aren't the hardest, but we have very stressful jobs and are not treated very well by our managers.
hard work good pay lifestyle is not good
Engineer/Conductor (Former Employee), decatur ilApril 20, 2013
Pros: good pay and benefits
Cons: horrible hours and lifestyle
you are on call 24/7 can work a lot or not much at all the work is tough lots of walking and lots of rules to know and follow it is all for your safety of course management makes sure you follow the rules or you get fired co worker are fun guys the hardest part is the hours you are up all night only get 10 hours of rest before you go back to work sometimes i would say what i enjoyed the most was the money and benefits won't find nothing better
Excellent pay, horrible supervisors
Mechanical Manager Trainee (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAOctober 14, 2014
Pros: training, pay, & benefits
Cons: horrible supervisors
I was initially excited about starting a career with CSX. Their trainee program was excellent as well as the pay and benefits. Unfortunately there are supervisors that need to learn what leadership is and that threatening employees with their bonus is not an effective management technique. Due to the hostile work environment in the field I decided to part ways with CSX and seek other opportunities.
Married to the job
Roadmaster/Supervisor (Former Employee), Social Circle, GAJuly 21, 2014
Pros: pay
Cons: family/home life
CSXT provides fantastic pay and benefits and opportunity for advancement. However, the work to family time ratio is very stressful on the home life. Safety is an issue with any railroad and must be top priority for the company and employee. CSX offered a great opportunity to learn a new field of engineering and management, for which I am grateful. I met a lot of great people and built relationships with clients in management that I still maintain today.
Fast paced Railroad
Trailer Service Clerk (Former Employee), Bedford Park, ILMarch 15, 2013
Inspecting inbound/outbound loaded and empty vans and container/chassis for damages, Input of driver information and railbilling on all inbound loads. Checking BOL's against drivers paperwork allowing to match for destination and export information. Running hourly inventory reports for UPS and Mail. Checking all Haz Mat paperwork for appropriate descriptions, codes and sizes. Worked well with Ramp Managers and co-workers had many split shifts to relieve.
Great learning oportunities & evolving job duties
Market Strategy and Development Analyst (Current Employee), JacksonvilleNovember 13, 2014
Pros: being in the hq is great for visability & networking
Cons: downtown location = expensive parking & long commutes
This group is always changing and our team does something new every day which allows for development and networking. The Market Strategy team deals with many groups within and without side of CSX. Travel, training, reporting, and making decisions with data are just a few of the things this group does for CSX.
The job was one of the best jobs i ever had.
Engineer (Former Employee), Rocky Mount, NCAugust 27, 2013
Pros: travel pay
Cons: management want back you even when your right
The job was exciting and demanding, I loved it, no day was the same each day contain a new challengel. I worked with some of the finest people in the world.I learned disciplent and patience. Management worked more on discilent than educating employees on how to stay out of trouble on the job. Like on how to stay on top of a bad situation, because once it goes bad the company fine a way to drop it in your lap
enjoyed working with this company.
locomotive engineer (Former Employee), cayce scMarch 10, 2015
Pros: available training
Cons: lack of communication between employees and management.
working for CSX has helped me to understand the different aspects of teamwork in Transportation. I have learned that it takes a team effort to accomplish the goal of customer satisfaction. This has to come from everyone working together. My co workers are the best part of this job. The diversity of working with so many different people brings a lot of fun to the job.
Hard working
Intern - Railroad Education & Development (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLJune 10, 2012
Pros: flexible schedule
Internship - Railroad Education & Development
For the past eight months, I have been an intern at CSX. This has been the best experience. I have learned so much about creating training materials that are relevant to the employees. The other individuals are amazing and I would not trade the time with them that I have been given. The hardest part of this job was learning a new application and then immediately applying it to my work.
Strong safety culture, poor work life balance, great retirement, travel and relocation aid in promotion
Trainmaster (Current Employee), Birmingham, AlabamaJuly 12, 2015
poor work life balance, great retirement, travel and relocation aid in promotion, industry has stability and career advancement opportunities, sometimes good old boy network can impact work environment, pay is fair for work and hours for most jobs, a lot of time away from home, coworkers can become like family, railroad's transport all goods national and international
Great job to prepare me for Management
Manager Environmental Field Services (Current Employee), Calumet City, ILAugust 8, 2015
Job duties included daily, weekly, monthly and semi annual inspections of the territory assigned to me. I traveled quite often and learned a lot about industry and transportation environmental concerns. The hardest part of the job was when derailments or other concerns involving response during non working hours. I enjoyed the freedom of being self motivated and seeing the different cities I traveled.
Good pay but, no life
Conductor/Remote Control Engineer (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAApril 11, 2013
There are many different things to do on the railroad. I either transported trains from one state to another or actually built trains in the yard to be transported. I learned a lot about safety and responsibility. The management had its rough parts, but they got the job done. The hardest part of the job was following all of the strictly enforced safety rules. The most enjoyable would have to be the pay and being outside in nice weather.
Headquarters