CSX Employee Reviews

Overall good company
Payroll Analyst (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 20, 2016
This is a good company to work for, however as with many companies promotion is more often based on a network of friends and not actual qualifications. Benefits are good, and pay is as well however the culture of the workplace can vary depending on the people, and particularly the management that you work among. Overall I would recommend this company to anyone offered a job, but be prepared for people with agendas and to play the politics game with coworkers and managers alike.
Pros
Pay, tuition reimbursement
Cons
Who you know and are friends with, not what you know when being promoted
Fun and challenging place with great rewards
Freight Train Conductor (Current Employee) –  Wyoming, MIMarch 18, 2016
The hardest part about the job is being on call 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week. The co-workers are always willing to help. The management is always there to listen to any issues. The job can be mentally and physically demanding. A shift can be anywhere from 6 hrs to 16 hrs long depending on the job.
Goor cowokes that cared about easck=h other
Freight Conductor (Current Employee) –  Clifton Forge, VAMarch 17, 2016
Poor work schedule would only get a two hour phone call to report to work 24 hrs a day 7 days a week
Some management were more against you than to help you
Typical work day was up to 12 hrs a day
Good pay and benefits
Good coworkers that took care of each other
Pros
Good Pay, amount of vacation days, coworkers took care of each othe
Cons
lack of work schedule, Lack of instrucion from management
Railroad life
Freight Conductor (Former Employee) –  Russell, KYMarch 14, 2016
on call 24/7. work was easy. who wouldn't love riding in the cab of a locomotive? I did. very good potential for great money but required overnight stays away from home.
Pros
atmosphere
Cons
on-call
loved it
Journeyman Machinist (Current Employee) –  Corbin, KYMarch 14, 2016
great retirement, other employee's were exceptional people, entry level has a lot of furloughs, out side of that it was a great job, would do again.
Liked the job
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee) –  Erwin, TNMarch 11, 2016
Liked my job, took pride in what I did, enjoyed the people I worked with. Do a good job for the company and be safe while doing it.
CSX Transportaion
Manager safety and operating practices (Current Employee) –  OhioMarch 10, 2016
CSX is a great company to work for and provides excellent benefits. Most jobs are a non-typical schedule meaning you don't see a lot of weekends or holidays off. I am very thankful to have the opportunity to work with CSX. They have given me a tremendous amount of training in several areas. In a management position, you are often required to work with very little supervision. You must be able to account for your time as required.
Pros
Salary, Insurance, Retirement
Cons
Job security
Productive and Fair Work Environment
Document Scanning Clerk (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 7, 2016
I am on a one year assignment working with CSX Transportation in the Imaging Services Department. I am working in an environment where we all work as a team. The management team allows their employees to give their input on any area that they feel will benefit the workflow. The most time consuming part of the job is the quality control process. We have to review scanned documents and correct any identifiable errors. The easiest part of the job is the scanning and prepping process. Overall the job is enjoyable because of the individuals that I work with.
A great place for a career
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INMarch 2, 2016
I viewed CSX as a place for a career, not just a job. They helped me develop my skills, starting as a conductor and working up to engineer. They provided paid training that led to a career I enjoy.
Very good place to work.
Director of Pier Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 28, 2016
Learned a lot. At times stressful but always enjoyable. Learned time management shills and FRA reg. The most challenging part was multitasking high priority jobs,
Pros
co-workers
Cons
having my job abolished because of cost cutting
Everyone is nice and help each other as needed
Carman (Former Employee) –  Willard, OHFebruary 26, 2016
Days seemed to go by fast, everyone was very nice and down to earth. Management was awesome, Hardest part of this job was just knowing all the specs and tolerances of each part. Most enjoyable part is having co-workers who appreciate you and even though they re higher on seniority they treated you the same as everyone else.
Pros
Awesome co-workers
Cons
Being laid off
Very challenging and diverse work environment.
Class 1 Engineer (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLFebruary 25, 2016
A typical day was to work as safely and follow rules and guidelines as per outlined in the manuals.
There was never a day after leaving work that i did not learn something.
Management was very proactive and were very helpful in every way possible.
The hardest part of working my job title was the challenges, and decisions i made on a daily basis.
The most satisfying part of my job was the employees i worked with and the challenges it brought me.
Work environment forces you to produce results at a high level.
Mechanical Manager (Current Employee) –  CleFebruary 23, 2016
CSX has provided me with wide variety of work experience as a manager. Being on call 24/7 and having to work multiple shifts has taught me how to prioritize and make good decisions in a small time frame. I have traveled and been exposed to several locations which has allowed me to learn from different operations while pciking up the better qualities of each operation.
Pros
Constantly learning new things, problem solving skills constantly developing, and use of wide network.
Cons
24 hour on call, move based on company need, and job stability.
long hours of waiting short burst of hard work
Driver/Laborer/machine operator/forman (Current Employee) –  variousFebruary 22, 2016
The nature of the business necessitate waiting for long periods of time before getting the job done. It is possible to sit and wait for a full 8 hours and do nothing, then work quickly for 1 hour to get it done.
Freight Conductor
Freight Conductor (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 20, 2016
Search for your own reviews on glass door, or look up reviews on another site. Many can be found by doing a simple google search.
Great job Ruthless industry
Carman (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INFebruary 18, 2016
wonderful people. cut throat industry. great pay and benefits. don't buy anything new for 3-4 yrs if you get on there. you'll get laid off.
Pros
great coworkers and pay.
Cons
you get laid off if theres a hint of recession.
Great benefits, great workplace environment. They hire great people who are a pleasure to work with.
Manager P&SC Process (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 18, 2016
Not very much opportunity for advancement because most departments are very flat organizationally, with more chiefs than Indians.
love the work
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 15, 2016
great co and money. hard work but worth the effort. Lots of off hours. on call 24/7. great health benefits and ways to advance your career.
CSX Work Summary
Senior Java/J2EE Developer (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 12, 2016
I have learnt Oracle after coming to CSX only. My employer is NTTData Inc. I work for CSX as a contractor.

Co workers are really good.
Progressive Thinking
Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 11, 2016
CSX believes in employee development and seek opportunities to promote within.

The feeling of working with positive, innovative team members and being included as part of the team, made the job worth while.

2.8