CSX Employee Reviews

Great Company for the Hard Working
Roadmaster (Current Employee) –  Corbin, KY19 January 2016
CSX is a great company for those who are willing to work hard. They do require a lot of time but it is worth it.

The time and energy that they require will be hard to get used to when an employee first starts but they will quickly adjust and enjoy the work.
The day starts at 0700 and ends around 1530 on a good day. It has been longer a lot but the pay is great and the benefits excellent.
Railroad life
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MI20 November 2016
This is a great job for the individual who never wants a wife or a family. Once hired you will be expected to work on your rest the rest of your life, spending more time in motels than your own bed.
Pros
Wages and healthcare
Cons
Never home for very long.
Productive and Fair Work Environment
Document Scanning Clerk (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL7 March 2016
I am on a one year assignment working with CSX Transportation in the Imaging Services Department. I am working in an environment where we all work as a team. The management team allows their employees to give their input on any area that they feel will benefit the workflow. The most time consuming part of the job is the quality control process. We have to review scanned documents and correct any identifiable errors. The easiest part of the job is the scanning and prepping process. Overall the job is enjoyable because of the individuals that I work with.
challenging, self gradification and rewarding
Train Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL14 April 2016
Very exciting career choice. I was fortunate to have worked in a high
energy high stressful environment and succeed until retirement. I
worked for CSX 39 1/2 years and it has afforded me and my wife of
42 years a good life.
Pros
income, professional envirement, helping move Americas freight
Cons
working nights, weekends and holidays
Unappreciated employees
Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH14 September 2016
Company does not try and work with employees but instead tries to intimidate and bully. Very difficult life style with being on call 24/7/365. No room for error with this company, looks to terminate for any and all mistakes.
Large scale locomotive shop
LOCOMOTIVE ELECTRICAN (Former Employee) –  Corbin, KY30 November 2015
Was a great job, cutting edge of technology, safety was first, good co-workers, and good benefits. Worked as a journeyman electrician for 15 1/2 on 3rd shift injury free my whole career. Troubleshooting broken down locomotives with schematic prints and multi-meter and electrical tools was my primary job. After repairs were made engine was taken outside and qualified and sent to the ready field for service.
Pros
All 8 hours were paid
Cons
Only had 1 10 minute break and a 20 minute lunch for your whole shift
Fast pace
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Cumberland, MD11 October 2016
Fast pace have to follow rules and understand rule books learn hundreds miles rail road name of signals mileposts sidings be able to work under pressure stay away from family for days on end work full 12 hrs shifts in all weather work holidays
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Long hrs days in hotels
Exhilarating work with great benefits. Home time/family time greatly sacrificed however.
Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TN19 October 2016
Great experience!!! Job requires total dedication to task at hand to ensure safe operations.... The most rough cut, detail oriented, innovative group of individuals you'd ever meet.
Furlough
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Cumberland, MD1 July 2016
This is a good company to work for and in the city they are in provides a great living. The problem came with the furlough process, as soon as I completed training and was a full fledged conductor I was furloughed for nine months and unfortunately bills had to be paid and the kids wanted to eat so I looked for and found other employment before being called back-at 2AM.
Pros
Great job. Loved riding in the trains.
Cons
Furlough process
Great job, and benefits. Great pay and benefits
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FL31 August 2016
A Great place for Employment. Satisfyingly pleasing, and Rewarding.A To company with room to Advance. Meet alot of interesting people, with diverse backgrounds.
Pros
Working outdoors
Cons
Working outdoors
Manager of Car and Locomotive Shop
Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GA14 April 2016
Review previous shift turnover. Delegate repair work to union employees. Safety job briefing at the beginning of the shift. Maintain yard checks throughout the shift and analyze work throughout rail yard. Correct deficiencies on various yard projects throughout the shift
Pros
Great Benefits andSafe Environment
Cons
Company cut backs and sparatic furloughs
Be prepared for any shift
Plant Manager (Current Employee) –  Albany County, NY15 April 2016
Working for the railroad is very challenging. There is no consideration paid to work life balance and you need to be prepared to work long hours with inconsistent days off. The pay and retirement is great but those with a family or active personal life will struggle to be happy.
Pros
Pay, retirement
Cons
No work/life balance
Serious Work
Frieght Train Conductor (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD10 November 2016
Safety is the number one goal. To move products across the country take a lot of people that are dedicated to getting a job done in the safest manner.
fun place to work
CSX/ AJRS head supervisor/ manager (Current Employee) –  Jessup, MD16 May 2016
Very productive, must be able to work long hours and be able to handle any stress issues that occur. You will get your hands dirty.
love the work
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PA15 February 2016
great co and money. hard work but worth the effort. Lots of off hours. on call 24/7. great health benefits and ways to advance your career.
same
Operations Management (Current Employee) –  Huntington, WV5 September 2016
This is the same job, the railroad is the railroad and a service industry, communication is imperative and important. There needs to be a way to do this better.
Very challenging and diverse work environment.
Class 1 Engineer (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FL25 February 2016
A typical day was to work as safely and follow rules and guidelines as per outlined in the manuals.
There was never a day after leaving work that i did not learn something.
Management was very proactive and were very helpful in every way possible.
The hardest part of working my job title was the challenges, and decisions i made on a daily basis.
The most satisfying part of my job was the employees i worked with and the challenges it brought me.
Treats employees well, but you never know if you might lose your job
Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL28 January 2015
CSX treats their employees well, pays well and spends a lot of time on development.

Advancement is not easy within the company. Also, being a publicly held company there are lay-offs when business is down and you never know if you might be laid off. I unexpectedly lost my job after they putting me through a special one-year mentorship program established for high-performing employees. To get accepted I had to apply, answer essay questions, get 2 letters of recommendation and pass a panel interview. They choose only 15 employees out of 3,000 employees for these special programs. Then a few months after graduate the program, reaching all my goals, they eliminate my job.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Uncertain job security, difficulty in advancing within, corporate politics affect their decisions
good place to work
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FL28 July 2015
job can be over stressful at times. Most people are on edge, everyone is so concerned of being fired all the time. I spend the majority of my day listening to other complain about management and all the contradicting rules. if you are lazy you get away with doing less if you are a good worker, you will often get stuck with work overload.
Pros
Benefits, pay. exiting for someone who like to be on the move.
Cons
reactive management, limited advancement. contradicting rules.
Fun and challenging place with great rewards
Freight Train Conductor (Current Employee) –  Wyoming, MI18 March 2016
The hardest part about the job is being on call 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week. The co-workers are always willing to help. The management is always there to listen to any issues. The job can be mentally and physically demanding. A shift can be anywhere from 6 hrs to 16 hrs long depending on the job.

2.8