CSX

very demanding
strong employee union
good pay
12 hours days with no overtime pay
Productive and safety concious workplace.
Freight Conductor (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: safety lunches, bonuses, salary, benefits and culture.
Cons: long days and the danger associated with the job.
A typical day starts off with the gathering of train orders, attending/holding a briefing and out to your train or yard job (bowl, hump or industry) work your shift, print out job ticket and off to the house or hotel if you are on the mainline.

Management can be ok at times, but if you come in and do your job you will no real issues.

Co-workers are – more... friendly and down to earth.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the co-workers. – less
Economy Failure
Freight Conductor (Current Employee), Russell, KYJanuary 23, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: away from home alot, on call
Due to the economy the job has laid off hundreds of employees. There is no end in sight. You typically get called out at any time with a two hour call. Get to work review work order with crew member go over safety hazards, equipment, etc... Hardest part of job is you are always working with someone new so you don't know there work habits, or how they – more... feel about company. – less
csx is a very productive place to work, pay,benefits !
Carman (Former Employee), Tampa, FLJanuary 13, 2014
Pros: benefits, cook outs family atmosphere !
Cons: heavy labor, hard on the body !
I would report for work 7 am have a safety meeting get our tools together and start work , every day is different always learning something different and new.Management was there when you needed them ,and they shared a lot of information ! the hardest part of the job was the extreme weather ! the most enjoyable was you could have a life !
Exciting job
Engineering Manager (Former Employee), Evansville, INJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: od employees
Cons: extremly long hours
It was a challenge everyday.I was in charge of 13 employees and 43 miles of railroad.
Great career with advancement and great benefits.
Freight Conductor (Former Employee), willard, ohioDecember 31, 2013
Pros: great pay, great benefits exciting career
Cons: away from home alot
CSX Transportation is a great company to work for offering great salary, and alot of advancement oppurtunities,
Great company
Mechanical Management Trainee (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLDecember 30, 2013
Pros: compensation, benefits
Cons: work/life balance, non standard work week
CSX is a very strong company with nothing but good things coming down the "tracks."

Workdays have potential to be long in a field management position.

Great training program, which prepares you for the day to day operation.

Co-workers in management are overall, pretty great.

The hardest part of the job is the work/life balance. Non-standard work – more... weeks (almost never Monday-Friday), and long hours for management.

The most enjoyable part is the constant completion of task throughout the day which leaves you feeling productive. There is plenty of work to go around. – less
great environment and job experience
Freight Conductor (Former Employee), cincinnati, ohDecember 20, 2013
Pros: great benefits
Cons: worked at all hours
Getting on a train and taking it along with its contents to another location. i learned how to be a leader and was coached well by a good management team. my co-workers were exceptional and there wasnt anything hard about the job. the most enjoyable part was everything about it.
There is so many diffrent weather changes to deal with
Road Electrician (Current Employee), Selkirk, NYDecember 19, 2013
Pros: good pay, if you give them your time
Cons: weather conditions
The security of a job is nice, but the work and family balance is a lot of give and take.
Tough life working on the railroad
Trainmaster (Former Employee), Fredericksburg, VANovember 20, 2013
Pros: pay
Cons: work/ life balance
In the transportation department it is a 24/7 365 job. Trains never stop running. In management you phone never stops ringing which makes it very difficult for the home life.
I loved working here
Engineering Intern (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLNovember 13, 2013
Pros: workout facilities, paid weekly
Cons: short breaks, stuck in a cubicle all day
I worked here as an intern and loved working here, and it was a great learning experience and the pay was great. I had great mentors, and managers that kept me busy and motivated for work everyday. The hardest part was getting up early everyday, but the best part was my co-workers and other interns and learning new things everyday from my personal mentors.
I love my job
Conductor (Freight) (Current Employee), Avon IndianaNovember 13, 2013
Pros: safety
Cons: long hours and being away from home for more then 24 hours.
I really never know what time I'm going to be called into work, but I don't mind. I enjoy the work I do, and the people I work with are very helpful if I have questions or don't understand what we are going to be doing. We always do a job brief before we start our job and a couple more during the course of the job to make sure all involved in the job – more... understands what we are doing. – less
Wonderful Job
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee), Louisville, KYOctober 24, 2013
Enjoyed moving rail freight from point A to point B. Working for the railroad was the most challenging job that I've worked. Constantly monitoring and adjusting instruments to safely move a trains consist was enjoyable.
Terrible place to work, on call 24/7
Conductor and locomotive engineer (Former Employee), indianapolis,inOctober 3, 2013
Pros: got to see country side
Cons: being on call
I drove freight trains. switched cars.traveled around regional area
Unfortunate that there was no advancement without relocating.
Fleet Coordinator (Former Employee), Bedford Park, ILSeptember 16, 2013
Pros: worked with management, owner operators and union workers
Cons: large corporation no personal feeling of belonging
I loved my16 years. I had several different responsibilities from Dispatching, Recruiting, Customer Service and Settlements.
Terrible place to work
Trainmaster, Freight Conductor (Current Employee), Nashville, TN Mobile, AL Massena, NYSeptember 15, 2013
Management is always looking to fire the union labor.
Days, nights, weekends, and holidays.
Great Pay while not layd off. Poor Management
Freight Conductor (Current Employee), Erwin, TNSeptember 11, 2013
Pros: pay
Cons: incompentent managers, unsteady
I hired with this company as a freight conductor in 2006. I got layd off through the holiday season that year with no pay. I got forced 1000 miles away from my family for one year. Had to go or face losing my job. I have been layd off 6 months out of the year every year since 06. I lose my family insurance every single year. I've only made vacation – more... 1 year. No paid time off. Remember this is a 24/7 job. You have to take off for things. You better have an emergency room excuse or they will suspend and eventually terminate you for attendance. Drs visits are not excused. They have dirty tactics such as hiding behind buildings and getting in groups of 10 to 15 managers to come out in the field and try to intimidate you. They advertise management jobs and give to the newer unseasoned employees. The results are an incompetent manager who provides nothing on the way of results. They will promise the world and not deliver. If you have a job now making at least 23000 per year id stay away. – less
Not a job, a lifestyle
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee), East Syracuse, NYSeptember 9, 2013
I loved the actual work, but the company/management made other aspects of the job, and your family life difficult. There is no employee moral, you are just a number to CSX
making candy
Qualified Mechanical Inspector (Former Employee), Bedford Park, ILSeptember 6, 2013
Pros: free tootsie roll
Cons: stand in one spot all day
working hard making candy and storing the candy,working the assembly line was ok it you busy.packing and unpacking was alright you have to stand in one spot all day.
High stress work environment
Train Dispatcher (Current Employee), Selkirk, NYSeptember 4, 2013
A typical day at work usually consisted of me taking transfer on my desk from the previous shift, make sure all trains are moving, take care of any problems on my railroad, and coordinate with management.
When I started the railroad was new to me and I know very little. Now I have an in depth working knowledge of the railroad.

All my managers are very – more... good at their jobs.

My co-works are easy to get along, and work with.

Making good decisions with very little time to strategize, with high repercussions if i fail to make good decisions.

The most enjoyable part of my job is at the end when pass off a good railroad to my relief know my shift was a job well done. – less

About CSX

CSX, based in Jacksonville, Fla., is a transportation company providing rail, intermodal and rail-to-truck transload services. – Read more