CSX Employee Reviews

I loved my job...it was the best job on the railroad and the pay was exceptional
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tarrant, AL28 October 2016
My job title at CSX Transportation was Clerk. ..I had my own vehicle and I answered calls from the YardMasters to swap out crews or to go pick up crews off of train...that's what my job entailed 90% of the time and the other 10% was clerical work. I maintained the Crew Room Train printers...delivering orders to crews and running Rosters to fill jobs for next shift. I never knew if I was going to work 8 hrs or 16 hrs. ..If they told me to stay then I had to stay and that was one of the down sides to the job. My job terms were different than the Conductor's and Engineer's...they are under a totally different agreement and have to deal with so much more than the Clerk's. CSX bought out the clerk jobs so I was out of a job that I thought I would retire from...no one expected it or seen it coming and I feel like the company could have done things different! I'm a hard worker and a loyal employee...the experience just made me want to rise above and to be the best that I can be for the next career that I choose to embark on!
Pros
The pay was exceptional and the job itself was laid back and so unstressfull
Cons
Back to back 16hr shifts and never knowing if you were going to have a job
Rewarding place to work.
Senior Auditor (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL23 February 2017
CSX is a rewarding place to work and know that you are providing a valuable service to keep the US economy moving. The Internal Audit group is a great place to gain experience working on cross-functional teams that will provide exposure to the whole organization.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Company is in an expense cutting phase
Productive, and rewarding
Freight Car inspector, repairman (Former Employee) –  Casky, KY16 January 2017
Csx is a very rewarding company to work for as a carman. There is routine but something different every day. Hard work, but you are rewarded for it. Great benefits, medical, retirement, holidays etc.
Pros
knowledgeable seniority, good training.
Cons
periodic furloughs
Great Place to work
Director of Finance, Mechanical Finance (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL26 February 2017
Plenty of challenging projects and tons of smart people to tackle them. Company is respectful of work/life balance and will invest in education.
Pros
Learning Environment
Cons
a different kind of lifestyle
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TN10 February 2017
at csx you are required to be on call 27/7, work many different jobs, and dont know if you will be laid off from week to week,but pay is great and they offer the best insurance i have ever had.
Pros
great pay, and insurance
Cons
on call, no job security
Fast paced environment, safety always a priority in every work location whether in office or outside locations. 24/7 business
Terminal Operations (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GA14 August 2016
Overall good work environment, safety violations usually require employee terminations or at least suspensions. The key to working in this business is to understand fully the task requirements, follow the written rules associated with the tasks involved, perform the tasks to the best of your ability, adhering to costs, customer satisfaction and care of plant, equipment and fellow employees.
Pros
Excellent compensation and benefits, employees look out for one another, all duties are performed safely and to specifications
Cons
Weather
Overall a good company.
Freight Conductor (Current Employee) –  Avon, IN3 September 2016
CSX is overall a good company to work for when you work. Layoffs are expected and it's often hard to stay on any certain job. I've never had a problem with management. My favorite part of the job is getting to work outside and feeling like a part of something bigger. Working on call and never knowing for sure when you will go to work makes planning anything hard and is my least favorite part of the job. In the end I would say employees are justly compensated for all the inconvenience.
Ever evolving
Freight Conductor (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NY8 February 2017
There is continued change. Seniority fluctuates. Very difficult to have a structured family life. Great pay and benefits. A typical yard day is from 8 to 12 hrs long. Switching cars and building outbound trains.
Challenging and high pressure work environment
Trainmaster - (Terminal Manager) (Current Employee) –  United States21 February 2017
CSX is great at developing young managers and leaders. Work life balance and work location could vary depending your direct supervisor.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Work Life
good pay and benefits
Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee) –  Walbridge, OH18 June 2016
A lot of rules and responsibility. Safety is the most important thing. Management always puts pressure on when things aren't going as planned but otherwise helpful. Most co-workers are great to work with.Hardest part is being on call working alot of different jobs until you have been there a few years until you can hold a regular position, being on call 24/7/365. Pay and benefits.
military/railroad
Sevice center and car dept. foreman (Current Employee) –  Riverdale, IL23 February 2017
Retired from the U.S. Army in 1995 where I ran a service and recovery operation and was in charge of all fab work to include welding, machinist work, glass cutting and replacement, canvas repair. Worked for Csx as a Carman for 13 years in Atlanta Ga. before I became a manager. I was assigned to Birmingham Al. as a general foreman where I worked for 20 months till I was assigned to the Chicago Division in Riveradle Ill. on the Locomotive side June of 2013 to the present. I am in charge of the service center and the locomotive shop plus line of road and the car shop and car department yards. I am responsible for around 30 employee and have no injuries on my watch.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Lazy people.
CSX Transportaion
Manager safety and operating practices (Current Employee) –  Ohio10 March 2016
CSX is a great company to work for and provides excellent benefits. Most jobs are a non-typical schedule meaning you don't see a lot of weekends or holidays off. I am very thankful to have the opportunity to work with CSX. They have given me a tremendous amount of training in several areas. In a management position, you are often required to work with very little supervision. You must be able to account for your time as required.
Pros
Salary, Insurance, Retirement
Cons
Job security
Csx
Purchasing Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL31 January 2017
Strong Union environment and many day to day obstacles. Great company to retire from for benefits and rail road retirement benefits.
Very rewarding job
Conductor (Former Employee) –  New Castle, PA20 December 2016
This job is very rewarding. Each day you go in, you're assigned a route for the day, or days. Typically you stay in a hotel for the night of your trip, or at least in my experience as a conductor. They pay is very well for not having a college degree. Although you are not guaranteed holidays or weekends, that's told upon interview. You're on a 24/7 call schedule, with rotating guaranteed off days. I would say the hardest part of this job is that there is a possibility of missing important events with family and friends. The most enjoyable part this job is being able to travel, and support yourself and family very well financially. Overall, this is a great trade to get into.
Hostile and miserable place to be employed
Crew Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL22 July 2016
It's a company that takes and takes and takes and gives nothing back, it's the type of place that will reward you for one week for something done and then punish you the next for the exact same thing. There is people in charge who have absolutely no knowledge of what's being done, and therefore there is no accountability held towards things done inaccurately, and they cut cut cut and expect more and more out of people while trying their best to tear you down and replace your job.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
Hours, lack of life, no reward, hostile
Professional Transportation
Trainmaster (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GA15 November 2016
Delivery of freight based on customer satisfaction is usually fact based, however the hours are long and the schedule drastically changes without much of a warning. More time is spent at work than home by far.
Pros
Excellent benifits and retirment plan
Cons
No quality of life outside of work
Very good company to work for
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NC5 October 2016
Everyone cared about your job as well as their own.

Wanted you to succeed and the company as a whole.

Very good,clean work environment - up-to-date equipment.

Became close friends with many girls I worked with.

Many of the gentlemen treated women fairly and with courtesy.
Pros
Excellent gifts and benefits.
Cons
Too many women, lots of back-biting
Hard work and dedication
Assistant Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, AL6 February 2017
A great place to work. Benefits are second to none. A company where you can stay 30 years and be proud to work for. Great place if you like to live in different locations.
Challenging career with great long term rewards
Foreman/ Conductor (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OH7 January 2016
CSX is a class 1 freight railroad company that challenges their employees to give 100% everyday. The company is extremely adamant about safety. Their rule book is 400 pages front and back and you are required to acknowledge and follow every one of them every day. You must be able to multitask in harsh environments and problem solve with little to no help. You have no schedule as you work on call and will sometimes spend extensive hours in a hotel. coping with stressful situations is a must. Personally I enjoy the challenges every time I go to work as the job is anything but boring or mundane.
Pros
Competitive wages, vacation, decent salary, top notch retirement
Cons
Furloughs, poor management relations, on call schedule, outdoors
Life Style
Railroad freight Conductor and Engineer (Current Employee) –  Hinton, WV8 November 2016
Quality of life is Questionable. Hire you to fire you. Spend more time in a hotel than at home. Great benefits, though. Labor contracts are not worth the paper they are written on. Pay averages out to about $12 per hour.
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
Its not just a job. It`s a life style

2.9