CSX Employee Reviews

Good Pay and Benefits with bad work/life balance
Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYMay 10, 2016
A typical day for me is taking a train from Louisville to Cincinnati, resting at a hotel, then bringing a train back. I learned that enjoy being a locomotive engineer. Local management seems to be fair and typically care about their employees, upper management not so much. My co-workers are a great bunch that I enjoy to be around. The hardest part of the and really the only thing I don't like about it is the lack of schedule and lack of sleep. Always being on call and never knowing when you're going to work, day or night, any hour. The most enjoyable part of the job is the travel, operating locomotives, and the comeradere you develop with co workers.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
bad work/life balance with the lack of a schedule
Very challenging and diverse work environment.
Class 1 Engineer (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLFebruary 25, 2016
A typical day was to work as safely and follow rules and guidelines as per outlined in the manuals.
There was never a day after leaving work that i did not learn something.
Management was very proactive and were very helpful in every way possible.
The hardest part of working my job title was the challenges, and decisions i made on a daily basis.
The most satisfying part of my job was the employees i worked with and the challenges it brought me.
Everyone is nice and help each other as needed
Carman (Former Employee) –  Willard, OHFebruary 26, 2016
Days seemed to go by fast, everyone was very nice and down to earth. Management was awesome, Hardest part of this job was just knowing all the specs and tolerances of each part. Most enjoyable part is having co-workers who appreciate you and even though they re higher on seniority they treated you the same as everyone else.
Pros
Awesome co-workers
Cons
Being laid off
Pay, benefits & Pension only positive
Locomotive Engineer/Conductor (Former Employee) –  Selkirk, NYAugust 26, 2016
CSX is a railroad that is continuously trying to streamline their operation. Their approach these days is do more with less. Jobs are constantly being cut throughout their entire system. CSX fully holds contractual employees accountable for everything and it is a constant management vs contractual employees. The work life balance is non-existent. CSX is not a good fit for someone that is not willing to have inconsistent days off and a home life.
Overall a good company.
Freight Conductor (Current Employee) –  Avon, INSeptember 3, 2016
CSX is overall a good company to work for when you work. Layoffs are expected and it's often hard to stay on any certain job. I've never had a problem with management. My favorite part of the job is getting to work outside and feeling like a part of something bigger. Working on call and never knowing for sure when you will go to work makes planning anything hard and is my least favorite part of the job. In the end I would say employees are justly compensated for all the inconvenience.
Decent job pay and benefits
conductor (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 11, 2016
A good company to work for but there is no job security. Working on call is difficult when it comes to planning your life. Management is helpful at times.
Pros
Pay and benfits
Cons
Hard to plan anything, no schedule
Fun and challenging place with great rewards
Freight Train Conductor (Current Employee) –  Wyoming, MIMarch 18, 2016
The hardest part about the job is being on call 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week. The co-workers are always willing to help. The management is always there to listen to any issues. The job can be mentally and physically demanding. A shift can be anywhere from 6 hrs to 16 hrs long depending on the job.
Tough political corporate culture
Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 24, 2016
Between an insane amount of "special projects" in addition to your regular duties and its aggressive office politics, it is a difficult place to work. If you can navigate political landmines and manage to get on the good side of someone important, there is opportunity to be successful. If you like to genuinely work hard and be rewarded for the work you do, this is not the right place for you.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
low trust, unsafe to express varying opinions, ineffective HR
CSX Sucks
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee) –  Erwin, TNJanuary 28, 2016
DO NOT GO TO WORK FOR CSX!!!
It is a sinking ship!!!
Culture sucks!!!
You might as well have CSX as your spouse!!!
Management are all stupid!!!
Cons
Fun workplace, not so fun management
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Martin, Shelby, Paintsville, and Russell, KyJuly 16, 2016
I'll admit, I loved the job. Most of the men I worked with were like brothers. That helped a lot since there's not much time for family life. Be prepared to miss a lot of holidays and birthdays while working. There is NO job security. If it gets slow, you get laid off. The union is a joke. It belongs to the company.
Pros
Pay and benefits, employee brotherhood
Cons
Being away from family, frequent lay offs, union dues are the same as flushing money down the toilet
good pay and benefits
conductor / locomotive engineer (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 6, 2016
Working for CSX was a job that I liked. However it is a job that when working for this company you do not see a lot of time at home. You will miss a lot of holidays with family, school events for your kids and things like that. Otherwise the job was great. The pay was good and the company overall was pretty good to work for. If you are a family man I would suggest a different job if it bothers you being away from family.It is more suited for a single person with no ties.
Pros
good pay and benefits.
Cons
never home
Amazing work environement
Information Technology Contractor (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 28, 2016
CSX offers a large degree of promotion options. Your hard work will be the deciding factor for your success. I would have stayed at CSX if I was not furthering my education.
Co-Workers like family. Pay and benefits good. Diversity and inclusion poor. Union vs. Management conflicts strong.
Management (Former Employee) –  Headquarters and FieldSeptember 6, 2016
CSX is an overall good place to work. The change in leadership has negatively impacted the culture and employee satisfaction. Significant layoffs, do more with less management, no real concern for safety and diversity as there had been in years past. Good old boy politics at an all time high.
Great pay, but terrible company and management.
Train Conductor (Current Employee) –  Augusta, GAJune 1, 2016
I actually didn't hate my time with the company. Had some nice co-workers and the job was actually fun. Management and the CEO on the other hand were terrible. They preach safety out here but will turn a blind eye to it until it effects production. They give you a rule book the size of a phone book and you are expected to memorize them all. Yeah like that's possible especially when you have a rule revision every week! Kiss your social life goodbye. Everything is based around seniority so you'll basically be on call for the foreseeable future. Then the worst part is this is a billion dollar company that wants to nickel and dime you. Paychecks would regularly be short and claims would regularly be denied for work you had done. I've also never seen a company spend so much money training a person just to fire them on a whim. The company has lost touch with what makes it work and that's the employees. I'd recommend this job to a younger person as it has great pay and no education necessary, but for someone with an established family it would be hard since you basically wouldn't see them.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Management, have to fight for your money, no work/life balance.
Furlough
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Cumberland, MDJuly 1, 2016
This is a good company to work for and in the city they are in provides a great living. The problem came with the furlough process, as soon as I completed training and was a full fledged conductor I was furloughed for nine months and unfortunately bills had to be paid and the kids wanted to eat so I looked for and found other employment before being called back-at 2AM.
Pros
Great job. Loved riding in the trains.
Cons
Furlough process
good place to work
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 28, 2015
job can be over stressful at times. Most people are on edge, everyone is so concerned of being fired all the time. I spend the majority of my day listening to other complain about management and all the contradicting rules. if you are lazy you get away with doing less if you are a good worker, you will often get stuck with work overload.
Pros
Benefits, pay. exiting for someone who like to be on the move.
Cons
reactive management, limited advancement. contradicting rules.
good pay and benefits
Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee) –  Walbridge, OHJune 18, 2016
A lot of rules and responsibility. Safety is the most important thing. Management always puts pressure on when things aren't going as planned but otherwise helpful. Most co-workers are great to work with.Hardest part is being on call working alot of different jobs until you have been there a few years until you can hold a regular position, being on call 24/7/365. Pay and benefits.
Solid Company with Many job opportunities
Senior Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIAugust 5, 2016
Working for CSX allowed me to learn all aspects of the Sales and Transportation business. Allotted many opportunities to expand my career from Intermodal, Auto Operations to Sales in the commodity of Metal. The company is competitive and open to building employees up to their fullest capabilities.
Freight Conductor
Freight Conductor (Current Employee) –  North Baltimore, OHOctober 30, 2015
Really good company to work for. As a freight conductor you don't have much of a personal life. People say that with a lot of jobs that it is job first than personal life. Well with CSX it is the most honest words I have ever heard spoken. It really is CSX first and your personal life late late late! second. If you can't abide by that or you don't agree with it you will not last. If you hire on at 18yrs of age and put enough time in to retire (as of today that would be 42yrs) you will have spent 75% of your life in a hotel room in another city / state. Amazing pay, amazing benefits. After 5 years easily $100k+ a year if you work.
Pros
Unbeatable pay and benefits with only a high school diploma
Cons
Have to get 3-5 years seniority before you can stop worrying about being displaced or furloughed
fun work place
Freight Conductor (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 25, 2016
for work place to work and good company good pay and good traveling would love to work for the company again. I learn how to tmr. the management was good to work for. I had some good co-workers that I work with. the hardest part of the job was being away from home. the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and the pay

2.8