CSX Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Very good place to work.
Director of Pier Maintenance (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDFebruary 28, 2016
Pros: co-workers
Cons: having my job abolished because of cost cutting
Learned a lot. At times stressful but always enjoyable. Learned time management shills and FRA reg. The most challenging part was multitasking high priority jobs,
Everyone is nice and help each other as needed
Carman (Former Employee), Willard, OHFebruary 26, 2016
Pros: Awesome co-workers
Cons: Being laid off
Days seemed to go by fast, everyone was very nice and down to earth. Management was awesome, Hardest part of this job was just knowing all the specs and tolerances of each part. Most enjoyable part is having co-workers who appreciate you and even though they re higher on seniority they treated you the same as everyone else.
Very challenging and diverse work environment.
Class 1 Engineer (Former Employee), Pensacola, FLFebruary 25, 2016
A typical day was to work as safely and follow rules and guidelines as per outlined in the manuals.
There was never a day after leaving work that i did not learn something.
Management was very proactive and were very helpful in every way possible.
The hardest part of working my job title was the challenges, and decisions i made on a daily basis.
The most satisfying part of my job was the employees i worked with and the challenges it brought me.
Work environment forces you to produce results at a high level.
Mechanical Manager (Current Employee), CleFebruary 23, 2016
Pros: Constantly learning new things, problem solving skills constantly developing, and use of wide network.
Cons: 24 hour on call, move based on company need, and job stability.
CSX has provided me with wide variety of work experience as a manager. Being on call 24/7 and having to work multiple shifts has taught me how to prioritize and make good decisions in a small time frame. I have traveled and been exposed to several locations which has allowed me to learn from different operations while pciking up the better qualities of each operation.
long hours of waiting short burst of hard work
Driver/Laborer/machine operator/forman (Current Employee), variousFebruary 22, 2016
The nature of the business necessitate waiting for long periods of time before getting the job done. It is possible to sit and wait for a full 8 hours and do nothing, then work quickly for 1 hour to get it done.
Freight Conductor
Freight Conductor (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAFebruary 20, 2016
Search for your own reviews on glass door, or look up reviews on another site. Many can be found by doing a simple google search.
Great job Ruthless industry
Carman (Former Employee), Evansville, INFebruary 18, 2016
Pros: great coworkers and pay.
Cons: you get laid off if theres a hint of recession.
wonderful people. cut throat industry. great pay and benefits. don't buy anything new for 3-4 yrs if you get on there. you'll get laid off.
Great benefits, great workplace environment. They hire great people who are a pleasure to work with.
Manager P&SC Process (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLFebruary 18, 2016
Not very much opportunity for advancement because most departments are very flat organizationally, with more chiefs than Indians.
love the work
Conductor (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAFebruary 15, 2016
great co and money. hard work but worth the effort. Lots of off hours. on call 24/7. great health benefits and ways to advance your career.
CSX Work Summary
Senior Java/J2EE Developer (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLFebruary 12, 2016
I have learnt Oracle after coming to CSX only. My employer is NTTData Inc. I work for CSX as a contractor.

Co workers are really good.
Progressive Thinking
Manager (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLFebruary 11, 2016
CSX believes in employee development and seek opportunities to promote within.

The feeling of working with positive, innovative team members and being included as part of the team, made the job worth while.
Railroad culture
Engineering Training Instructor (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAFebruary 6, 2016
The culture at CSX is a tight group of dedicated professionals. the pay and benefits are good and employees hire on and stay for a career. each employee seems to take ownership of the company.
Great job
Freight Conductor (Current Employee), Louisville, KYFebruary 3, 2016
CSX is an amazing company to work for and are head strong towards ultimate safety as the number one priority. They provide adequate training.
Railroad work can be exciting
(FMLA) Specialist (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLFebruary 3, 2016
I truly enjoyed my career working at CSX. It was the best job I've ever had. I enjoyed working with a diverse group. I enjoyed all the challenges it brought me.
Career job with advancement oppurtunties, great benifits and retirement.
Conductor (Current Employee), Augusta, GAFebruary 1, 2016
Pros: Great Pay, benfits and Retirement.
Cons: Layoffs.
A CSX conductor has a lot of responsibilities, first part of a typical day is to have a safety/Job briefing we I identify what safety precautions we are going to implement for the days work, we then discuss our dispatcher messages which informs us work limits, speed restrictions and potential cautions that could affect our attended route. We then go over our work order that tells what our train is made up of, we have to analyze our work order to make sure there aren't any type of speed, height, weight or hazarders restrictions that make up our train. If we are a "Key" train meaning a train with a combination of 20 or more hazards material by class and code, that we have the appropriate paper work on them along with an a emergency phone number. once we complete our job briefing we either have to get permission to either built or get on our train and go by either or our train master or dispatcher or yardmaster. Your day can vary either you are working in a yard (building trains), working Industries(delivering specific cars to Customers) or working on the road(Taking a train to a different station, yard or terminal). The day may vary day by day but the same beginning process Safety/Job briefing and the end of the day reporting the work being done to a Train Master or Railroad Dispatcher still remains Safety is our biggest concern at CSX all day every day!
CSX Sucks
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee), Erwin, TNJanuary 28, 2016
Pros: Nothing
Cons: Everything
DO NOT GO TO WORK FOR CSX!!!
It is a sinking ship!!!
Culture sucks!!!
You might as well have CSX as your spouse!!!
Management are all stupid!!!
Poorly Managed
Freight Conductor (Current Employee), Buffalo, NYJanuary 26, 2016
Great pay and benefits. Unions need to be stronger. Management is always on the prowl(literally hiding in bushes) to pull you out of service. Could be furloughed at anytime because it's a constant feast or famine struggle in transportation. Anyone that does work here, I would not recommend making any major purchases within the first 10 years of employment because RR unemployment does not pay well.
Priceless
Conductor/Engineer (Current Employee), Evansville, INJanuary 24, 2016
I loved working in the construction industry. I worked as a laborer/carpenter and an equipment operator. we roofed and framed mostly and we had a great crew.
The people are great
Machine Operator (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLJanuary 22, 2016
Pros: the pay is great
Cons: work gets cut off some times
On any given day there are new challenges from working long hours to dealing with the elements. There are not many jobs that allow you to make a good leaving and be with good friends. We are more like family than coworkers. The work is hard but the team work makes it rewarding.
good place to work
Conductor (Former Employee), Parkersburg, WVJanuary 22, 2016
salary is very good,only downfall was not knowing when you were going to work,on call 24hrs a day. good people to work with.