CSX Employee Reviews

Businnes analyst
Business Development Analyst (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL21 March 2017
Great opportunity on the cutting edge of transportation. The company benefits are great there as well. Most people who get jobs here never leave so opportunity are limited on getting on board with the company.
Cons
lay-offs
Good career, poor work life balance
Terminal Manager (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SC20 March 2017
The culture was moving in the right direction. Unfortunately, there have been a lot of recent lay offs, approximately 20% of management employees.
I left to try to find a better work life balance.
Going in the wrong direction
Asst manager Customer Operations (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL20 March 2017
Enjoyed my years with CSX but the management and culture has changed significantly and I'm afraid they are moving in the wrong direction. Although it was not my decision to leave, it was an option I had been exploring.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Lack of movement or development opportunities
Substantial Reorganization
Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL20 March 2017
Company has been downsizing for the last several years. Mass layoffs prior to arrival of new CEO. It is expected further job cuts will occur when the new CEO arrives.
What I Learned
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MI19 March 2017
I learned the importance of being fact-based to have the right results, the right way. Being an example to my employees builds trust within the group. Set a standard for your team to follow by and the results will surprise. Don't just tell them to do something, tell them why they are doing it.
Great Pay and Benefits
Utility Worker (Current Employee) –  Hamlet, NC18 March 2017
Well compensated for the work required if the employees. Health benefits are top notch. The only downside is if you're low in seniority your shift won't be the greatest.
Very profit driven
Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL17 March 2017
recent changes in Executive management has led to massive layoffs of the most productive, senior and highest paid employees Used to be like your family. Looked forward to going to work every day, and everyone cared about each other. Sorry to see that profits and shareholders have made caring a thing of the past. No longer do they care about hiring Veterans or Disabled or a rail career for managers. We all wish our former teammates well and success.
Pros
Family environment, MR Ward, co workers, social responsibility
Cons
money- profit -motivated
Freight Conductor/Yard Master (Current Employee) –  Russell, KY14 March 2017
Great benefits, however there is no stability with this company. I have enjoyed working there over the past 10 years and would love to see coal come back to the area.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
No Stability
Very rewarding work with great teams and inspiring emerging technologies
Manager IT-Advance Engineering (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL14 March 2017
Managing the apps dev team supporting Advanced Engineering involved the most cutting edge emerging technologies with the most talented people.
Workplace culture was work/life balanced and great team interaction.
Hardest part of job was going home.
Most enjoyable was working on cutting edge, sky's the limit technology.
Pros
People and the company wants to get things done
Cons
Departments still remain silo'ed, and bureacratic
Dream Job
Midwest Fleet Coordinator / Smith System Trainer (Former Employee) –  Bedford Park, IL13 March 2017
I was over 90 owner operators help them maintain and provide good service to the company and our customers. I oversaw fleet compliance and safety programs. Performed safety meeting as well as smith system training. Maintained a good working relationship with our main headquarters and our terminal.
Changing Drastically
Manager Payroll (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL13 March 2017
CSX is undergoing significant changes in 2017. I do not expect the culture and work/life balance to be the same under Hunter Harrison. If you can get into the company, they do currently provide good compensation and benefits.
Pros
Pension, benefits
Cons
Management, culture
Productive and fun work place with room for advancement
Supervisory Special Agent (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL11 March 2017
Criminal Investigations
Room for advancement
Walking people out when they terminated
Learned process improvement
great team work and co-workers
Pros
Great work life balance
CSX is a career.
CUSTOMER SERVICE ACOOUNT COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL10 March 2017
People that come to work for CSX, don't leave CSX. CSX becomes how you walk, talk, and live. It is a very diverse work place, and your co-workers consider each other family.
Pros
Compensatiosn, and Co-workers
Cons
Communication & Management
Very little job security available at this time.
Special Agent/Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, IN10 March 2017
With a newly appointed CEO, over 1000 management personnel were involuntarily separated from the company. The severance package offered to those who were affected by the actions was unacceptable.
A good place to work.
Manager, Quality Processes and Operations Analysis (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL10 March 2017
CSX was a good place to work. The benefits and salary were very competitive compared to other railroads. The retirement retirement benefits are the best.
If you can survive the first five years
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH9 March 2017
If you can afford to be laid off a bunch your first five years then i guess it's not to bad of a place to work. I workrd 10 months then got laid off.
Management young
welder/driver (Current Employee) –  Langhorne, PA8 March 2017
Managers young ,don't know what they are doing. They don't listen, have know idea how to plan and schedule work. Order of supplies and labor needs are never done right. I used to own my own small company. If I made the mistakes they did I would have never made money.
Pros
Lots over time
Cons
Work long hrs on call
Good benefits but stressful place to work
Director of Process Improvement (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL8 March 2017
It is like any other large corporation. There is not much of a relationship with your supervision. Good pay and benefits but no clear career progression path.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
No clear progression plan
One of the original railroads
Manager, Compensation (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL6 March 2017
CSX is an exciting business that has gone through countless changes and transformations over the years but always remains true to its core - moving freight from one location to another.
Good People, Especially Manager
Support Analyst for CSX at Infosys (Former Employee) –  Chennai, Tamil Nadu5 March 2017
Worked in Infosys, but Client was CSX Corporation. Worked on an application called IBM Tririga. Manager and Consultant were good. Guiding the right way always. Providing material and on hand guidance whenever we faced problems. Had fun interacting with them.
Pros
Good Campus
Cons
Remote Location

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CSX. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9