CSX Employee Reviews

Great company
Crew Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL3 September 2016
CSX Transportation is a great company in which to be employed. The benefits and compensation are very good.

Most employees are very safety oriented especially in an operations setting in the field. Some know the rule book by heart and can recall any rule and recite it without prompting.

Training is probably the best part of CSX from an advancement standpoint. While I was there I was trained on aspects of the business that I never dreamed I would ever know. The general feeling is the more you know the better an employee you will be.

I've held several positions there both contract and non-contract and there was hardly a day that could be considered typical. You literally learn something new everyday.
Pros
Great benefits, compensation and development opportunities
Cons
Management can be a bit narrow minded
Great job, and benefits. Great pay and benefits
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FL31 August 2016
A Great place for Employment. Satisfyingly pleasing, and Rewarding.A To company with room to Advance. Meet alot of interesting people, with diverse backgrounds.
Pros
Working outdoors
Cons
Working outdoors
Pay, benefits & Pension only positive
Locomotive Engineer/Conductor (Former Employee) –  Selkirk, NY26 August 2016
CSX is a railroad that is continuously trying to streamline their operation. Their approach these days is do more with less. Jobs are constantly being cut throughout their entire system. CSX fully holds contractual employees accountable for everything and it is a constant management vs contractual employees. The work life balance is non-existent. CSX is not a good fit for someone that is not willing to have inconsistent days off and a home life.
Tough political corporate culture
Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL24 August 2016
Between an insane amount of "special projects" in addition to your regular duties and its aggressive office politics, it is a difficult place to work. If you can navigate political landmines and manage to get on the good side of someone important, there is opportunity to be successful. If you like to genuinely work hard and be rewarded for the work you do, this is not the right place for you.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
low trust, unsafe to express varying opinions, ineffective HR
Fast paced environment, safety always a priority in every work location whether in office or outside locations. 24/7 business
Terminal Operations (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GA14 August 2016
Overall good work environment, safety violations usually require employee terminations or at least suspensions. The key to working in this business is to understand fully the task requirements, follow the written rules associated with the tasks involved, perform the tasks to the best of your ability, adhering to costs, customer satisfaction and care of plant, equipment and fellow employees.
Pros
Excellent compensation and benefits, employees look out for one another, all duties are performed safely and to specifications
Cons
Weather
Very corporate environment
Human Resource Specialist Transportation (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL14 August 2016
The company is large and very corporate. The executives and senior management can be disconnected from their staff at times but it's because it's a very large company with thousands of employees. The Headquarters building downtown Jacksonville has their own cafeteria with good food so you don't have to walk several blocks for lunch. The company pushes for donations for United Way and cares about charity. You are expected to work 40+ hours per week or whatever it takes to get the job done. The company is already well established in their growth so it may take a while for advancement because someone has to retire or quit for a position to open up (depending on what department you work in or if you are willing to relocate). The company has a good pension.
Solid Company with Many job opportunities
Senior Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MI5 August 2016
Working for CSX allowed me to learn all aspects of the Sales and Transportation business. Allotted many opportunities to expand my career from Intermodal, Auto Operations to Sales in the commodity of Metal. The company is competitive and open to building employees up to their fullest capabilities.
Hostile and miserable place to be employed
Crew Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL22 July 2016
It's a company that takes and takes and takes and gives nothing back, it's the type of place that will reward you for one week for something done and then punish you the next for the exact same thing. There is people in charge who have absolutely no knowledge of what's being done, and therefore there is no accountability held towards things done inaccurately, and they cut cut cut and expect more and more out of people while trying their best to tear you down and replace your job.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
Hours, lack of life, no reward, hostile
Very demanding hard to balance work and personal life.
Engineering Manager (Roadmaster in Training) (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TN21 July 2016
There is never a dull moment on the railroad. Most of the time you work long hours in the extreme conditions of the weather. This job is very demanding because it requires you to be on call 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
Fun and productive work place.
Service Desk Specialist (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL21 July 2016
Awesome place to work for.
All the full time agents are very knowledgable and helpful.

This place is great with tons of laid back time, especially the weekend.
Fun workplace, not so fun management
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Martin, Shelby, Paintsville, and Russell, Ky16 July 2016
I'll admit, I loved the job. Most of the men I worked with were like brothers. That helped a lot since there's not much time for family life. Be prepared to miss a lot of holidays and birthdays while working. There is NO job security. If it gets slow, you get laid off. The union is a joke. It belongs to the company.
Pros
Pay and benefits, employee brotherhood
Cons
Being away from family, frequent lay offs, union dues are the same as flushing money down the toilet
okay job
Field Clerk (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NC11 July 2016
The benefits are good but you are always having to think if you are going to have a job the next day because of cuts that corporate was pushing.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Corporate Management is always wanting to cut off jobs
Productive, beneficial but time consuming
conductor/ rco (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PA5 July 2016
Csx is not for the faint of heart. A very dangerous hands on career that commands one hundred percent dedication. The management isn't bad, but can be very unreliable like any other job. I have learned how to be more efficient with my time as you operate on a schedule that is not solid at all. The hardest part of the job is just that, living your life at the mercy of a phone call to come in that you can never predict, 24 hours a day. They thing that makes it all worth l=while is the immaculate benefits, travel and opportunity to meet new people while having employment that is very essential to the entire world.
Furlough
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Cumberland, MD1 July 2016
This is a good company to work for and in the city they are in provides a great living. The problem came with the furlough process, as soon as I completed training and was a full fledged conductor I was furloughed for nine months and unfortunately bills had to be paid and the kids wanted to eat so I looked for and found other employment before being called back-at 2AM.
Pros
Great job. Loved riding in the trains.
Cons
Furlough process
good pay and benefits
Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee) –  Walbridge, OH18 June 2016
A lot of rules and responsibility. Safety is the most important thing. Management always puts pressure on when things aren't going as planned but otherwise helpful. Most co-workers are great to work with.Hardest part is being on call working alot of different jobs until you have been there a few years until you can hold a regular position, being on call 24/7/365. Pay and benefits.
fun
freight conductor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GA16 June 2016
fun but not good for new family. hard to get paid correctly. layoffs happen often. Work in all types of weather. But training is paid
Productive and Enjoyed working at CSX
Tableau Developer (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL13 June 2016
a great honor to work at CSX. Enjoyed working with different teams, applications and with business. I really appreciate that the company allows flexibility in your workday. My co-workers are easy to work with, and I feel supported by team leads.
good place to work
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VA7 June 2016
was on call 24/7 i enjoyed getting called for work and once getting there i would get all the necessary paper work that was needed to perform the task that I was ask to perform.once this was done I would then prepare to go to the Train and assume responsibility of my train.Me and my crew would then try and perform our duties as safe and proficient as we could
Pros
bonuses
Cons
dont remember any.
good pay and benefits
conductor / locomotive engineer (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH6 June 2016
Working for CSX was a job that I liked. However it is a job that when working for this company you do not see a lot of time at home. You will miss a lot of holidays with family, school events for your kids and things like that. Otherwise the job was great. The pay was good and the company overall was pretty good to work for. If you are a family man I would suggest a different job if it bothers you being away from family.It is more suited for a single person with no ties.
Pros
good pay and benefits.
Cons
never home
Great pay, but terrible company and management.
Train Conductor (Current Employee) –  Augusta, GA1 June 2016
I actually didn't hate my time with the company. Had some nice co-workers and the job was actually fun. Management and the CEO on the other hand were terrible. They preach safety out here but will turn a blind eye to it until it effects production. They give you a rule book the size of a phone book and you are expected to memorize them all. Yeah like that's possible especially when you have a rule revision every week! Kiss your social life goodbye. Everything is based around seniority so you'll basically be on call for the foreseeable future. Then the worst part is this is a billion dollar company that wants to nickel and dime you. Paychecks would regularly be short and claims would regularly be denied for work you had done. I've also never seen a company spend so much money training a person just to fire them on a whim. The company has lost touch with what makes it work and that's the employees. I'd recommend this job to a younger person as it has great pay and no education necessary, but for someone with an established family it would be hard since you basically wouldn't see them.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Management, have to fight for your money, no work/life balance.

2.8