CSX Employee Reviews

Productive, beneficial but time consuming
conductor/ rco (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 5, 2016
Csx is not for the faint of heart. A very dangerous hands on career that commands one hundred percent dedication. The management isn't bad, but can be very unreliable like any other job. I have learned how to be more efficient with my time as you operate on a schedule that is not solid at all. The hardest part of the job is just that, living your life at the mercy of a phone call to come in that you can never predict, 24 hours a day. They thing that makes it all worth l=while is the immaculate benefits, travel and opportunity to meet new people while having employment that is very essential to the entire world.
Amazing work environement
Information Technology Contractor (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 28, 2016
CSX offers a large degree of promotion options. Your hard work will be the deciding factor for your success. I would have stayed at CSX if I was not furthering my education.
good place to work
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 28, 2015
job can be over stressful at times. Most people are on edge, everyone is so concerned of being fired all the time. I spend the majority of my day listening to other complain about management and all the contradicting rules. if you are lazy you get away with doing less if you are a good worker, you will often get stuck with work overload.
Pros
Benefits, pay. exiting for someone who like to be on the move.
Cons
reactive management, limited advancement. contradicting rules.
Hostile and miserable place to be employed
Crew Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 22, 2016
It's a company that takes and takes and takes and gives nothing back, it's the type of place that will reward you for one week for something done and then punish you the next for the exact same thing. There is people in charge who have absolutely no knowledge of what's being done, and therefore there is no accountability held towards things done inaccurately, and they cut cut cut and expect more and more out of people while trying their best to tear you down and replace your job.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
Hours, lack of life, no reward, hostile
Freight Conductor
Freight Conductor (Current Employee) –  North Baltimore, OHOctober 30, 2015
Really good company to work for. As a freight conductor you don't have much of a personal life. People say that with a lot of jobs that it is job first than personal life. Well with CSX it is the most honest words I have ever heard spoken. It really is CSX first and your personal life late late late! second. If you can't abide by that or you don't agree with it you will not last. If you hire on at 18yrs of age and put enough time in to retire (as of today that would be 42yrs) you will have spent 75% of your life in a hotel room in another city / state. Amazing pay, amazing benefits. After 5 years easily $100k+ a year if you work.
Pros
Unbeatable pay and benefits with only a high school diploma
Cons
Have to get 3-5 years seniority before you can stop worrying about being displaced or furloughed
Long hours away from home but nice not having to be told what to do everyday.
Freight Conductor (Current Employee) –  Garrett, INOctober 30, 2015
Good work with great benefits. Having to be away from home a lot is difficult. Not having a boss constantly over your shoulder is nice though. There is room for advancement but relocation is necessary.
good pay and benefits
conductor / locomotive engineer (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 6, 2016
Working for CSX was a job that I liked. However it is a job that when working for this company you do not see a lot of time at home. You will miss a lot of holidays with family, school events for your kids and things like that. Otherwise the job was great. The pay was good and the company overall was pretty good to work for. If you are a family man I would suggest a different job if it bothers you being away from family.It is more suited for a single person with no ties.
Pros
good pay and benefits.
Cons
never home
Very good place to work.
Director of Pier Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 28, 2016
Learned a lot. At times stressful but always enjoyable. Learned time management shills and FRA reg. The most challenging part was multitasking high priority jobs,
Pros
co-workers
Cons
having my job abolished because of cost cutting
Great pay, but terrible company and management.
Train Conductor (Current Employee) –  Augusta, GAJune 1, 2016
I actually didn't hate my time with the company. Had some nice co-workers and the job was actually fun. Management and the CEO on the other hand were terrible. They preach safety out here but will turn a blind eye to it until it effects production. They give you a rule book the size of a phone book and you are expected to memorize them all. Yeah like that's possible especially when you have a rule revision every week! Kiss your social life goodbye. Everything is based around seniority so you'll basically be on call for the foreseeable future. Then the worst part is this is a billion dollar company that wants to nickel and dime you. Paychecks would regularly be short and claims would regularly be denied for work you had done. I've also never seen a company spend so much money training a person just to fire them on a whim. The company has lost touch with what makes it work and that's the employees. I'd recommend this job to a younger person as it has great pay and no education necessary, but for someone with an established family it would be hard since you basically wouldn't see them.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Management, have to fight for your money, no work/life balance.
The people are great
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 22, 2016
On any given day there are new challenges from working long hours to dealing with the elements. There are not many jobs that allow you to make a good leaving and be with good friends. We are more like family than coworkers. The work is hard but the team work makes it rewarding.
Pros
the pay is great
Cons
work gets cut off some times
Fun workplace, not so fun management
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Martin, Shelby, Paintsville, and Russell, KyJuly 16, 2016
I'll admit, I loved the job. Most of the men I worked with were like brothers. That helped a lot since there's not much time for family life. Be prepared to miss a lot of holidays and birthdays while working. There is NO job security. If it gets slow, you get laid off. The union is a joke. It belongs to the company.
Pros
Pay and benefits, employee brotherhood
Cons
Being away from family, frequent lay offs, union dues are the same as flushing money down the toilet
nuihbiosrf
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 28, 2015
great job if your single and have no family. Your on call 24/7 and you better believe they will always call you. You get 8 hours of rest after getting off work and will be right back at work after that. the money is amazing as so is the benefits.
Pros
Good Money and benefits
Cons
No Social or home life, Constantly at work. Management is always out to get you in trouble to fill they're qoutas
Great benefits, great workplace environment. They hire great people who are a pleasure to work with.
Manager P&SC Process (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 18, 2016
Not very much opportunity for advancement because most departments are very flat organizationally, with more chiefs than Indians.
Wonderful Company
Service Desk Technician (Current Employee) –  JacksonvilleAugust 16, 2015
CSX technology is an absolutely wonderful place to work. They are very understanding and will do everything possible to accommodate you and your needs. The only downside would be that there isnt much communication unless your part of a specific circle of management or upper management. Certain things that pertain to everyone should be shared with those that the information would impact. Other than that one flaw CSX technology is a wonderful place to work at.
Pros
benefits, flexible
Cons
lack of communcation
Stable company.
Intermodal Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 5, 2016
Solid company. Slow movement due to union structure. Seniority matters more than education in the union ranks. Company is fairly solid and is experiencing growth in a lot of areas.
Pros
Cheap benefits, great retirement, decent wage
Cons
Union.
A great place for a career
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INMarch 2, 2016
I viewed CSX as a place for a career, not just a job. They helped me develop my skills, starting as a conductor and working up to engineer. They provided paid training that led to a career I enjoy.
No day was ever the same and there was always something new to learn
Service Desk Specialist (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 20, 2016
While working at the data center at CSX I learned numerous helpful thing which enriched my knowledge of technology. I learned how to troubleshoot and deploy hardware and software while maintaining good customer relations. The environment was enjoyable and I even got to practice using my network skills aiding users and entire sites that were down
Pros
learning, challenges, training
Cons
structure changes
Work environment forces you to produce results at a high level.
Mechanical Manager (Current Employee) –  CleFebruary 23, 2016
CSX has provided me with wide variety of work experience as a manager. Being on call 24/7 and having to work multiple shifts has taught me how to prioritize and make good decisions in a small time frame. I have traveled and been exposed to several locations which has allowed me to learn from different operations while pciking up the better qualities of each operation.
Pros
Constantly learning new things, problem solving skills constantly developing, and use of wide network.
Cons
24 hour on call, move based on company need, and job stability.
Furlough
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Cumberland, MDJuly 1, 2016
This is a good company to work for and in the city they are in provides a great living. The problem came with the furlough process, as soon as I completed training and was a full fledged conductor I was furloughed for nine months and unfortunately bills had to be paid and the kids wanted to eat so I looked for and found other employment before being called back-at 2AM.
Pros
Great job. Loved riding in the trains.
Cons
Furlough process
Great job Ruthless industry
Carman (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INFebruary 18, 2016
wonderful people. cut throat industry. great pay and benefits. don't buy anything new for 3-4 yrs if you get on there. you'll get laid off.
Pros
great coworkers and pay.
Cons
you get laid off if theres a hint of recession.

2.8