CSX Employee Reviews

Great Career
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 28, 2016
CSX is a great company to work for if you don't mind being away from home. You have to stay "marked up" i.e. ready for work and on call to make decent money. if that is what you are willing to do and don't mind being called in at ANY time...
great place to work if you can handel fiberglass
SHEET METAL WORKER (Former Employee) –  Corbin, KYApril 26, 2016
great place to work, good people to work with, good benefits, no room for advancement, management is ok, work in fiberglass, four days of work then four days off
No day was ever the same and there was always something new to learn
Service Desk Specialist (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 20, 2016
While working at the data center at CSX I learned numerous helpful thing which enriched my knowledge of technology. I learned how to troubleshoot and deploy hardware and software while maintaining good customer relations. The environment was enjoyable and I even got to practice using my network skills aiding users and entire sites that were down
Pros
learning, challenges, training
Cons
structure changes
Be prepared for any shift
Plant Manager (Current Employee) –  Albany County, NYApril 15, 2016
Working for the railroad is very challenging. There is no consideration paid to work life balance and you need to be prepared to work long hours with inconsistent days off. The pay and retirement is great but those with a family or active personal life will struggle to be happy.
Pros
Pay, retirement
Cons
No work/life balance
challenging, self gradification and rewarding
Train Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 14, 2016
Very exciting career choice. I was fortunate to have worked in a high
energy high stressful environment and succeed until retirement. I
worked for CSX 39 1/2 years and it has afforded me and my wife of
42 years a good life.
Pros
income, professional envirement, helping move Americas freight
Cons
working nights, weekends and holidays
Manager of Car and Locomotive Shop
Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 14, 2016
Review previous shift turnover. Delegate repair work to union employees. Safety job briefing at the beginning of the shift. Maintain yard checks throughout the shift and analyze work throughout rail yard. Correct deficiencies on various yard projects throughout the shift
Pros
Great Benefits andSafe Environment
Cons
Company cut backs and sparatic furloughs
got to be a shark.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chapmanville, WVMarch 30, 2016
this particular skill set is just not in my vocabulary. This job requires a lot of long days with no pay at all, unless you sell a car.
Amazing work environement
Information Technology Contractor (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 28, 2016
CSX offers a large degree of promotion options. Your hard work will be the deciding factor for your success. I would have stayed at CSX if I was not furthering my education.
Good place to work, Need to be closer to home
Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Langhorne, PAMarch 23, 2016
I work at CSX for the maintenance of way (MOW) we repair and build track and maintain our 57 miles of track. Typical day would consist of job briefings and work detail, which could include installing rail, track ties, surfacing, gauging, excavating, installing switch points and frogs. I have learned how to manage people better and to get jobs done in a timely safe manner. Management has changed a lot in the past couple years here, it's become all college graduates with no experience and nobody to guide them which has brought morale down. hardest part of my job is waiting for track time because we can't work if they are running a lot of trains. best part of the job is working with the guys in my gang.
Pros
co-workers, pay
Cons
management, vacation time
Great benefits if you can keep a position.
Field Support Lead Clerk (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaMarch 23, 2016
Csx is currently combining jobs in all crafts streamlining operations. A lot of good people are finding themselves with a choice of moving or having no job. That's a tough pill to swallow when the company newsletter is constantly bragging about the profits they're making.
Pros
Good benefits and compensation
Cons
No job security and low morale.
Great Job With poor management
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Russell, KYMarch 20, 2016
Great Job, Great Pay, Just not managed very well from the Corporate level. Learned a variety of skills as far as Railroading. Unfortunately I was never able to apply them due to being laid off as soon as I finished training.
Pros
pay, Travel
Cons
layoffs
Overall good company
Payroll Analyst (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 20, 2016
This is a good company to work for, however as with many companies promotion is more often based on a network of friends and not actual qualifications. Benefits are good, and pay is as well however the culture of the workplace can vary depending on the people, and particularly the management that you work among. Overall I would recommend this company to anyone offered a job, but be prepared for people with agendas and to play the politics game with coworkers and managers alike.
Pros
Pay, tuition reimbursement
Cons
Who you know and are friends with, not what you know when being promoted
Fun and challenging place with great rewards
Freight Train Conductor (Current Employee) –  Wyoming, MIMarch 18, 2016
The hardest part about the job is being on call 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week. The co-workers are always willing to help. The management is always there to listen to any issues. The job can be mentally and physically demanding. A shift can be anywhere from 6 hrs to 16 hrs long depending on the job.
Goor cowokes that cared about easck=h other
Freight Conductor (Current Employee) –  Clifton Forge, VAMarch 17, 2016
Poor work schedule would only get a two hour phone call to report to work 24 hrs a day 7 days a week
Some management were more against you than to help you
Typical work day was up to 12 hrs a day
Good pay and benefits
Good coworkers that took care of each other
Pros
Good Pay, amount of vacation days, coworkers took care of each othe
Cons
lack of work schedule, Lack of instrucion from management
Railroad life
Freight Conductor (Former Employee) –  Russell, KYMarch 14, 2016
on call 24/7. work was easy. who wouldn't love riding in the cab of a locomotive? I did. very good potential for great money but required overnight stays away from home.
Pros
atmosphere
Cons
on-call
loved it
Journeyman Machinist (Current Employee) –  Corbin, KYMarch 14, 2016
great retirement, other employee's were exceptional people, entry level has a lot of furloughs, out side of that it was a great job, would do again.
Liked the job
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee) –  Erwin, TNMarch 11, 2016
Liked my job, took pride in what I did, enjoyed the people I worked with. Do a good job for the company and be safe while doing it.
CSX Transportaion
Manager safety and operating practices (Current Employee) –  OhioMarch 10, 2016
CSX is a great company to work for and provides excellent benefits. Most jobs are a non-typical schedule meaning you don't see a lot of weekends or holidays off. I am very thankful to have the opportunity to work with CSX. They have given me a tremendous amount of training in several areas. In a management position, you are often required to work with very little supervision. You must be able to account for your time as required.
Pros
Salary, Insurance, Retirement
Cons
Job security
Productive and Fair Work Environment
Document Scanning Clerk (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 7, 2016
I am on a one year assignment working with CSX Transportation in the Imaging Services Department. I am working in an environment where we all work as a team. The management team allows their employees to give their input on any area that they feel will benefit the workflow. The most time consuming part of the job is the quality control process. We have to review scanned documents and correct any identifiable errors. The easiest part of the job is the scanning and prepping process. Overall the job is enjoyable because of the individuals that I work with.
A great place for a career
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INMarch 2, 2016
I viewed CSX as a place for a career, not just a job. They helped me develop my skills, starting as a conductor and working up to engineer. They provided paid training that led to a career I enjoy.

2.8